Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,037 members, 7,814,543 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 02:42 PM

Unwanted- Safarigirl - Literature (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Unwanted- Safarigirl (72619 Views)

The Unwanted Pregnancy / My Classic First Love Scenario And The Unwanted End / Getting A Life- Safarigirl (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Unwanted- Safarigirl by PBeni(m): 5:13am On Dec 31, 2014
safarigal:
lol...I'm not repo dear smiley

My bad. That was a typo
Keep it up tho...
Re: Unwanted- Safarigirl by Ghyft(f): 6:36am On Dec 31, 2014
Safarigirl,
There is a point in our life when we get fed up with everything,
That time,we feel we can't face it anymore,
We try to run away from our problems,
But,running away is like taking Marijuana,
You still have to come back to that same problem.
You are strong,
Stronger than you can ever imagine,
Just sit down,think straight and get away from this menacing situations.
You'd be grateful you did
You'd be stronger and more equipped to face more menacing situation
You'd be emotionally in control
You'd be a one-in-all package.
Someone once said
our greatest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure

Be strong for me and for us all
We've got your back baby
We will always be here for you
With love,
Ghyft

12 Likes

Re: Unwanted- Safarigirl by ethereal(f): 6:59am On Dec 31, 2014
I wish I knew d ríght words to make u feel better.I couldn't even write a poem to save my own life!lol.bt I'll have u know that u're one ofmy top 5 most important and influential person of 2014..no kidding.You inspire me like no one else,ur work "unwanted"mirrors d life I once lived.Its not only insightful but also filled wt promise for a better tomorrow.Hope is wat keeps us going,however battered emotionally or physically we may be.So my dear,be strong and refuse to be drawn into d abyss and quagmire of depression!!!.Its not a place for the Amazon dat u are...peace

4 Likes

Re: Unwanted- Safarigirl by MoriYanu(m): 7:58am On Dec 31, 2014
nice one safarigal. this piece is awesome, wonderful and interesting. about your ban, leave the mods, they can't do better than that. you are strong!
Re: Unwanted- Safarigirl by JeffreyJamez(m): 8:09am On Dec 31, 2014
ethereal:
I wish I knew d ríght words to make u feel better.I couldn't even write a poem to save my own life!lol.bt I'll have u know that u're one ofmy top 5 most important and influential person of 2014..no kidding.You inspire me like no one else,ur work "unwanted"mirrors d life I once lived.Its not only insightful but also filled wt promise for a better tomorrow.Hope is wat keeps us going,however battered emotionally or physically we may be.So my dear,be strong and refuse to be drawn into d abyss and quagmire of depression!!!.Its not a place for the Amazon dat u are...peace

Safari even Adanna is here for you grin... hehehehe

Safarigirl we your fans love you scatter..... Please snap out of depression and tell the devil "Nigga Phuck you,get off my face "......sho ti gbo

1 Like

Re: Unwanted- Safarigirl by Jaymima(f): 8:30am On Dec 31, 2014
Nice one Safarigirl
Re: Unwanted- Safarigirl by heemah(f): 9:30am On Dec 31, 2014
Hey gal!! Whenever u r goin thru hard tyms or feeling depressed, neva quit cuz ur best is yet and don't let pple determine ur happiness..We, your fans love and enjoy reading from u evrytime.....JefferyJames spoke my mind

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Unwanted- Safarigirl by Emzypaz(m): 8:17pm On Dec 31, 2014
Its the end of the year and we have decided to have an award for one Literature-lander who has done a lot this year. That person whose stories have influenced you, that person whose comments have made a positive change.
VOTE FOR THE LITERATURE SECTION PERSON OF THE YEAR; https://www.nairaland.com/2067377/literature-section-person-year-award#29364922.
Voting ends 10pm tonight and results would be announced by 11:59pm.
If you think Safarigirl has done enough this year, vote for her.
Safarigirl, if any of your readers has done well this year, vote for him/her.
Re: Unwanted- Safarigirl by Toeyean1507(f): 8:56pm On Dec 31, 2014
I'm so disappointed in Dani. Dis isn't d kinda showdown I was anticipating. Mtcheeeeeeew,d gurl sef. She's too mumuish. She shud have addressed dem one by one. Letting dem realize she isn't a failure dey believe she is. I'll appreciate if she goes back and redeem d situation with words. I mean,strong words. Weldone,Ma'am

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Unwanted- Safarigirl by SusannaJohnson(f): 3:42am On Jan 01, 2015
Happy new year Safarigirl, ur work inspires me. I felt for each of the characters though I know itz fiction. Pls be strong, don't let anyone's annoying actions get to you. There's that strength to fight in you, keep fighting, u'll make a nice headway. Love you girl, u are my best writer on NL.
Re: Unwanted- Safarigirl by 9jawhite: 10:16am On Jan 01, 2015
Happy new year Safarigirl and thanks for those wonderful updates in 2014, looking to enjoying you the more in 2015.
Re: Unwanted- Safarigirl by Mj45: 7:15pm On Jan 01, 2015
Happy new yr Safari(babe).
Re: Unwanted- Safarigirl by uzolexis(f): 10:42am On Jan 02, 2015
Dear Safarigirl,

U r an amazing n talented writer, if I could be just a bit as good of a writer as u, I would feel on top of d world. I envy u like crazy so pls don't let whatever is happening get the best of u ok, it's just a phase and it'll definitely pass. That's what I tell myself anytime I feel down and depressed.
Happy new year, this year holds so much promises and good gifts for all of us.
God bless u kiss wink

1 Like

Re: Unwanted- Safarigirl by safarigirl(f): 9:54pm On Jan 02, 2015
I've been released. Yay! Thanks for all your New Year messages guys, I appreciate each one of them ....so here goes the longest epilogue you'll ever read

"So you never went back home?" The 8-year old boy with wide, bright eyes asked, his little head trying to wrap it's self around the story he had just heard.

"No. Not until now." His mother replied with a warm smile, she ruffled his mass of ful, curly hair as she was wont to do whenever his cute face was scrounged up in confusion and he pulled back to cease her assault.

"Why?" His older brother asked with inquisitive grey eyes staring at their mother.

"Have you even been listening this entire time?" The only female child asked and then rolled her eyes at her little brother whose expression was enough declaration that he in fact had not been listening at least half of the time, "Figures" she muttered under her breath after glancing at the Portable PlayStation in her brother's hand. He was somewhat of a videogame addict

"Cool story ma, and I'm supposed to believe Dad knocked someone out." The oldest of the four children pipped in and then let out a snort. His sister cackled and gave him a hi-five in solidarity.

"Hey, I'll have you know I did knock a few people out when I was younger, and don't assume I can't knock you out at 50, spring chicken." The man of the house declared, looking away from his driving only briefly to address his son through the rearview mirror.

"Yeah right, I'm the King of Atlantis, Junior State Champion, four times in a row, and by next year, when I'm eligible for the Senior meet, I'll be swimming better than Michael Phelps. Oh, and I got a blackbelt in taekwando thanks to you, so it will take more than a tiny punch from a middle-aged man to send me to the ground, even less, knock me out."

"I think dad would knock you out Drew." 8-year old Lenny said thoughtfully.

"That's why nobody listens to 8-year olds, cuz they're not very smart." Drew replied.

"Mum!" Lenny protested glaring at his eldest brother.

"Andrew apologise to your brother immediately."

Andrew rolled his eyes, "Sorry, ma he needs to grow up and stop being such a crybaby."

"Is that how you apologise? Apologise properly."

"I'm sorry Lenny, I won't disrespect you again." Andrew droned out, the words making his tongue feel like led. He absolutely hated apologising.

Lenny gave a wide grin, exposing his incomplete set of teeth, "Apology accepted"

"Great, now close your mouth, you're scaring me!" Addie said with a small smile. Lenny stuck out his tongue at her and returned her smile.

"We're here." Liam suddenly announced.

All four kids looked out their windowns eagerly, "This isn't a house!" Luke announced loudly.

"Yeah, thanks for telling the rest of us eediots, Einstein." Andrew said, he opened the door and stepped out of the car first.

"Drew, do you ever wait for instructions?" Addie asked as she followed him.

"So says the person who's out the car before getting the go-ahead." He shot back.

"I follow your lead."

"You're learning fast grasshopper." He smiled at her and ruffled her hair.

She slapped his hand away, "Don't mess with the hair, it took a lot of mousse to get it this tamed."

"Maybe if you cut it just a little lower or straightened it once in a while, you wouldn't have to waste dad's money on mousse."

"Will you two stop bickering for 2 seconds?" Liam's voice cut through their conversation, everyone was now out the car and staring at the building which was apparently a cafe of some sorts or a lounge, it was rather open and airy, "We're meeting your mother's friend here, then we'll go to her family house."

"Lami?" Lenny asked looking up at his father, he had to squint a little because of the sun which was getting into his eyes, Nigeria was much sunnier than the US, but when they had been told they would be coming over here, they had all jumped at the idea without further thought. They had travelled to about 5 different countries, 2 for Lenny, but they had never been on the Affrican continent and they thought it would be fun to visit their mother's home country

"Yes, but you..all of you will call her Aunty Lami." Adanna corrected.

"Is she your sister?" Luke asked.

Adanna smiled, "Yes, the best anyone can ask for." Her phone began ringing at that point, it was Lami, she answered, "He..."

"I see a family that looks like yours, but I'm not sure, the oldest female there is pretty, when will you guys arrive?"

Adanna grinned, Lami was still the same even after twenty years, "Mumu, we're here."

"Ehn ehn, where did you park? I and Temi are on our way."

"We're right in front, if you..." Adanna's eyes suddenly caught sight of Lami, looking chic as always as she strutted toward them, though it was apparent she hadn't seen them. She was fressed in a pair of fitted, maroon-colored three-quarter pants, a navy blue polo and a maroon trilby hat, on her feet were white flat slippers, she was still as beautiful as she remembered and even classier, life had definitely been good to her.

A few metres behind her, a much younger, lighter version of Lami whose pretty face was in a frown trudged along, she seemed rather miffed with something, it was probably connected to the medium-sized handbag she had to carry along. She was almost as tall as her mother, but she did inherit her long, lean legs which were shown off in a pair of nude-colored crop shorts, she wore a polo over it that was identical to what her mother had on, but hers was light pink, she didn't have a hat on like her mother, settling instead for a pair of shades which she had pushed back on her head. Maybe if she made use of the shades, she would be less grumpy.

"Who's that?" Andrew's voice interrupted Adanna's thoughts. She knew that tone, one of subtle interest, she had heard her teenage son use it a number of times, this time, she didn't answer him.

"Lami." She shrieked as she ran to her friend. Both women embraced each other for a long period of time, making sure to exhaust five years of separation. She had been in contact with Lami for the past twenty years, but had only been able to see her five years ago when she visited the US for a show. Since then, they had been communicating via social networks. Lami had been her eyes and ears in Nigeria, mostly updating her on how her family was doing. She never bothered to find out how Lami got most of the information she supplied her, she was just content with what she got...which was a lot.

"We're leaving now, right?" Lami asked once she left Adanna's embrace, "Elo called me about ten minutes ago. She says they won't stay past the next 2 hours so if you want to meet them..." Lami shrugged the rest of her comment off.

Adanna understood, "Wow, so it's that bad?"

"You thought I was exaggerating when I said your siblings can't stand your parents?"

"Well, I didn't think it was that bad."

"Oh, it's much worse." A wide smile suddenly came upon Lami's face, "Anyway, this is my first, Temi. She's 15. Temi meet my best friend, Adanna, you remember Aunty Dani I've been telling you about?" She asked as she pulled Temi to her side.

"Hi." Temi greeted with a small smile. She looked much prettier smiling than she did when her face was in a frown.

"Wow, she's big for 15." Adanna said as she looked the girl over, she was quite tall as well. She would have pegged her as a 17-year old.

"Her father was a big man." Lami replied and then winked for effect. Adanna smiled well aware of the pun in her words and Temi rolled her eyes, apparently she was familiar with Lami's crude humour as well.

"Stop. Please." She suddenly remembered she was here with her family, "Come meet my kids." She said as she dragged Lami along, she turned to find Liam pulling Andrew back and Luke fiddling with his gaming device as expected, Addie was leaning against the car with Lenny by her side.

"Lami meet my children. This is my eldest, his name is Andrew, and..."

"Hi." Andrew said eagerly stepping away from his father to stand right next to Temi, "I'm Andrew." He said and then extended his hand to Temi

"She knows." Liam said and then pulled Andrew back once again.

Adanna smiled apologetically at both women, "Don't mind them. This is my daughter, Adaeze, we call her Addie though."

Addie smiled, "Hello."

Temi's smile grew wider, but she made no attempt to move closer, "Hi."

"And these are my youngest, Luke and Lenny."

Both boys greeted shyly, "Wow, they're all good-looking, are they reallly yours?"

"No, I adopted them."

Lami grinned at her and gave her a playful slap, "I know who's responsible." Without further ado, she walked up to Liam and hugged him, "Hi Liam, long time no see."

"Same here, how have you been?"

"I've been surviving and stalking your wife's family as per her request."

Liam smiled at her, it was good to see the years had done nothing to her humour, "Thanks for your help. We appreciate it."

"No need to thank me, Ada is my sister. I'm always glad to help." She replied, "Okay now, we all need to start going before we miss Edozie and Elo, they're very busy people these days."

"You still know the way to our house, right?" Adanna asked Liam.

"Of course, how can I forget?"

"You're old, that's how." Andrew replied with a smirk.

"50 is not old."

"Yeah, it just gives you a few wrinkles and some gray hair. No bigge"

"My reflexes are still strong though, keep talking and I'll show you."

"You two stop, please." Adanna spoke up exasperatedly. Andrew and Liam could get lost in their little back and forths at times. It got boring eventually.

"I'll ride with Aunty Lami, just in case dad gets lost." Andrew suggested.

"Yeah, I think I'll go with Drew." Addie finally spoke up.

Andrew frowned, "No you won't." It was just like Addie to always cramp his style.

"And why not?" She asked sassily.

"It's fine if you two come along, Temi would love the company." Lami spoke up.

"Fine." Andrew grumbled, if he put up too much of a resistance, their mother would most likely ensure he didn't drive with Lami. He definitely did not want that.

"Good, we can go then." Addie said with a suspiciously large grin.

"See you in twenty minutes." Lami gave one last hug to Adanna and Liam before she and Temi led Andrew and Addie to her car which was parked a few metres away from Liam's

"If you're on your best behaviour, maybe I can put in a good word for you to Temi." Addie said to her brother's hearing. She winked at him and laughed at his look of shock before leaving him to catch up with Lami and Temi. After 15 years of knowing him, she sometimes wondered why Andrew got surprised when she called him out on certain things. He had become quite predictable, it was never that difficult to know his intentions- it had never been.

"When did they say they were coming?" Edozie asked impatiently. They had been in this cursed house for over an hour now and he was getting sick of his surroundings and re-considering their decision to meet here. A public place would have been much better in his opinion.

"Relax, they should be here in about half an hour latest." Elochi replied, it wasn't like she was glad to be here either. She hadn't seen her parents in over 7 years, she had cut ties with them because of their disagreement- her father didn't like that she had married an Anglican man who was Ishan, he wanted an Igbo Catholic for her, she hadn't met anyone with those tags who appealed to her. She hadn't gotten his blessings, but had gone ahead to marry her husband irrespective, and that led to the 6-year rift that eventually led to total enstrangement when her father had called her son a cursed spawn of the devil. She had realised too late what Dani had known about their father years ago- he was a selfish, dictatorial bas-tard who loved no one but himself.

When Lami had called and told her Dani was coming back to see them, she had jumped at the opportunity to see her big sister even if she'd have to see her vile parents to do that. She had called Edozie, who wasn't as eager initially. He was ashamed to face Adanna after all the things he had said about her and he felt even worse when he heard she was married to Liam and they had four kids together. It had taken a lengthy speech by Elo to get him to agree to see Adanna and present an apology to she and Liam and an even lengthier one to convince him to do so in the home of their parents.

Edozie hadn't seen his parents in 12 years, not since he found out his father had been involved in a number of fraudulent and illicit business transactions during a case involving government transactions. He had managed to cover for the old man and in return, he asked for explanations. He got nothing. He had threatened to expose his father, but his earlier actions of covering up for him had put him in a precarious situation. Their relationship had gotten strained because of their frequent disagreements revolving around that discovery, eventually, he totally severed their contact.

"And if they're not?"

"If they're not, we leave. I don't know why you're getting testy. I left my 2 children with my husband, I'm the one who should be antsy by now."

Edozie made no attempt to reply his sister. Instead, he snatched his newspaper from the bedside table and proceeded to read it.

The sound of a car approaching and then another, led Elo to look through the window of her old bedroom, she watched Lami get out of the first car, followed by a rather tall, dark-haired white boy in shades, "I think they're here." She announced

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Unwanted- Safarigirl by Toeyean1507(f): 11:37pm On Jan 02, 2015
Now don't confirm my fears,pls. Dis isn't d end, is it?
Re: Unwanted- Safarigirl by safarigirl(f): 12:05am On Jan 03, 2015
Toeyean1507:
nah. I'll type 'THE END' when I get there. The epilogue is much longer than I anticipated though
Re: Unwanted- Safarigirl by barackodam: 12:07am On Jan 03, 2015
Toeyean1507:

Of course not
Re: Unwanted- Safarigirl by Toeyean1507(f): 12:08am On Jan 03, 2015
safarigirl:
nah. I'll type 'THE END' when I get there. The epilogue is much longer than I anticipated though
Berra cos my eyes are stinging already.............I need to sincerely ask u dis. Did u rushed d story cos of wat u r going tru @ d moment and still don't wanna disappoint us with updates?
Re: Unwanted- Safarigirl by vonn(f): 12:12am On Jan 03, 2015
Thanks Safarigirl for your hardwork.
The Lord is your strength.
Re: Unwanted- Safarigirl by Toeyean1507(f): 12:25am On Jan 03, 2015
barackodam:

Of course not
It had berra not be o
Re: Unwanted- Safarigirl by heemah(f): 4:06am On Jan 03, 2015
Thanks a bunch safarigirl...
He who laugh last laugh best....Am happy for Dani...
Re: Unwanted- Safarigirl by safarigirl(f): 6:51am On Jan 03, 2015
Toeyean1507:
Berra cos my eyes are stinging already.............I need to sincerely ask u dis. Did u rushed d story cos of wat u r going tru @ d moment and still don't wanna disappoint us with updates?
didn't rush it.
Re: Unwanted- Safarigirl by akejujoe(f): 7:55am On Jan 03, 2015
Awesome safarigirl.you re really great.
Re: Unwanted- Safarigirl by gal10(f): 9:26am On Jan 03, 2015
Okay happy new year safarigal!! Sorry about d depression, good to know u fought it through..happens to d best of us...Can't wait for d final pieceof this story...you are a good writer...thanks for everything..what about in memory only Jaiya and lanre? Please update o
Re: Unwanted- Safarigirl by Toeyean1507(f): 9:43am On Jan 03, 2015
safarigirl:
didn't rush it.
I actually detected a note of rush buh I believe d 'long' epilogue will account for that sha. Thanks for having our interest @ heart. We love u and my dear, there are two openings to a tunnel!
Re: Unwanted- Safarigirl by PBeni(m): 12:43pm On Jan 03, 2015
Still following this story till the end.
Keep up the good work Safarigirl, you're the best...
Re: Unwanted- Safarigirl by missuniverse(f): 1:04pm On Jan 03, 2015
from the start I knew dis would end well.

WELL DONE
and a prosperous new year to you
Re: Unwanted- Safarigirl by SusannaJohnson(f): 5:10pm On Jan 03, 2015
Safarigirl, u r such a darling. Thanks for the update. Hope u r fine now, love u.
Re: Unwanted- Safarigirl by oghenekome51(f): 1:39am On Jan 04, 2015
Wow! Am so happy u updated! D patient dog eats d fattest bone! Weldone safarigirl! *pls whatever u do in dis life, never giv up!*
Re: Unwanted- Safarigirl by Nobody: 8:33am On Jan 04, 2015
Safarigirl is da bomb kiss
Re: Unwanted- Safarigirl by ogwee: 8:10pm On Jan 04, 2015
Wow! Wow!! Am so loving it more & more..Thanks Safarigirl..
Re: Unwanted- Safarigirl by safarigirl(f): 9:20pm On Jan 04, 2015
Adanna looked around her old neighbourhood, it hadn't changed by much, but it was apparent that whoever was maintaining the place currently was doing a poor job at it. The road had a lot more potholes than she remembered, the paint was peeling off some buildings, there were overgrown shrubs and grasses that were in desperate need of care. She could only imagine what the rest of the place would look like.

Her eyes fell on Liam's old house, it looked to have been re-painted and going by the drapes inside, it was being occupied by some other individual or a family.

"You used to live here?" Addie's voice interrupted her musing.

"Yes, in fact, that was my house." Liam replied her, pointing at the building across the road.

"Where was mum's house?" Lenny asked.

"Must be the one Drew's about to knock at." Luke replied.

They all turned to see Drew's hand poised to knock at the door of the Ilo residence, "Andrew William Fraiser..." Liam began in a scolding tone, but he didn't get to finish speaking as the door flew open and a woman who looked to be in her 30's appeared with a smile.

"Hi." Drew said to the woman, a bit surprised at the speed with which the door came open and unable to think up something else.

"Hi." She replied with a large, almost maniacal grin that freaked him out just a little, "You're Ada's son?" She asked, her voice filled with disbelief, she took him by the bicep and patted him, examining the expanse of his torso

"Umm...yes." Andrew replied unable to figure out the appropriate way to react to this woman's uncomfortable touching.

"You're welcome." She said, suddenly pulling him into a hug, he patted her back awkwardly, choosing to not think too hard on how she pulled his much taller frame down for the hug so quickly.

She suddenly released him, "Oh, you're so big." She said through teary eyes as she touched his face now, he was starting to appreciate all those years he spent without any aunties, at least when he was younger, he only had to deal with his father's friends and they weren't this attached.

She suddenly pushed him aside, her eyes darted past everyone until they fell on Adanna who hadn't moved from her spot, her hands clasped her mouth to muffle a wail just before she ran past Andrew and straight to her elder sister, "Ada." She cried as she wrapped her arms around her in what Andrew was sure would qualify as some advanced type of choke-hold.

Both women stood on the pavement, arms wrapped around each other and tears falling down their cheeks freely for what felt like hours, but was only some minutes, it was Adanna that broke their embrave this time to have a good look at her little sister, "I've missed you so much." Elo cried.

"I've missed you too, you're so big now." Ada declared noticing Elo had grown at least 5 inches taller than she remembered and considerably thicker.

"You too, you're so pretty. I thought I'd never see you again." Elo said, she wrapped her arms around Ada again, her sobs now lower in volume.

Ada patted her head to calm her down, "Is everyone inside?" She asked.

"Yes."

She pulled away from her sister, "Let's go inside then." Ada said and then pulled her sister along towards the house she hadn't seen the inside of in 20 years with everyone else following behind them. She made sure to shoot a glare at Andrew on her way in, just so he knew he was in for it once they left.

As she stepped into the house, a sudden chill passed through her, it certainly looked different. The walls were now painted off-white instead of the yellow she was used to and were bare, there used to be lots of ornaments all over the place as well as portraits of her family and some religion-inspired portaraits. They were all gone now and so were some of the chairs, the rug that used to be everywhere in the house had now been replaced by a centre carpet, all the potted plants were gone as well. The house looked...for lack of a better word, dead. It was nothing like the bright, attractive place she had lived in, she could only imagine what her old room now looked like.

"Come sit." Elo hurried her to a nearby chair, "Oh my God, I can't believe this is you. I should've brought my kids to see their aunty Ada, they ask about you all the time...."

Ada listened to her sister babble on like a hyperactive child with a smile on her face. Even now, Elo was still very beautiful, her eyes gleamed with a mixture of excitement and unshed tears, "...and your kids are so big, Chris, my oldest, he never believes me when I tell him he's got big cousins somewhere, he thinks I created a fake sister..."

Héros attention was shifted when she notices an older woman who looked like her mother, but not quite. This woman looked so thin and frail. Nothing like the plump, healthy woman she grew up with as a kid. It was like the lif had literally been sucked out of her. She supposed such would be the date of a woman who had been estranged from her kids by a stubborn, dictatorial husband......she would pity her, but there was no point in that. Her mother had gotten what she deserved for being a silent supporter of her father's madness. A woman who couldn't stick up for her children irrespective of the aggressor was a waste and her mother had filed in that regard.

She slowly stood as her mother approached them, her eyes getting watery with every shaky step she took, "Ada...." She began, the disbelief in her voice evident.

"Yes mum"

She watched the tears stream down her mother's face, "Ada....Ada'm....Ada biko gbhara m, nwa'm" She finally reached her and wrapped her in a hug. Harsh sobs escaped her mother once she wrapped weak arms around her. Sobs which Adanna couldn't deny, rang though her entire being.

She squeezed her eyes shut as she listened to her mother's heart-wrenching sobs until she was released from her hold just so her mother could give her a proper examination.

She watched her tear-stained face as she looked her over, "Ada, you look so big" her mother commented in awe.

"Is that our other grandma?" A small voice asked in what Ada was sure was intended as a whisper- Lenny

"Duh!" Was Luke's reply.

Her mother gave her a look of surprise before moving her aside to see the four kids standing awkwardly at the entrance. Their father was a few metres away with their uncle in what looked to be a discussion

"Ada, are they.....?" Her mother didn't finish as she went to her grandkids and examined each of them like he had their mother, "How old are they?" She wondered staring up at Andrew who was the second tallest person in the room after his father

Ada smiled at Andrew's obvious discomfort, "The oldest is 18, Adaeze is 16, then there's 11-year old Luke and Lenny who just turned 8"

Her mother stared at each child with awe. Touching them as if to confirm how real they were, "I've missed so much. Look at how big they are... "

"Adanna." The thunderous voice rippled through the entire house with it's rumbling authority, stilling every activity and forcing everyone to look toward the stairs where the voice had come from. Phillip Ilo, the patriach of the Ilo family, stood at the foot of the staircase, his once large body now slimmer, but not so much that it took anything away from his fearful figure, his deep-set eyes seemed to have been sucked deeper into their sockets, his face was now heavily-wrinkled due to old age, his body somewhat bent, but even with all of his obvious weaknesses, the man was still able to strike fear into the entire room.

Adanna turned to that voice that had tormented her for years. She was unsure of how to react to seeing her father again, unsure of what to do when faced with a non-threatening expression from him, he didn't look as strong as she remembered, he surely didn't look like he could slap her around anymore, but still, she feared him.

"Daddy, good...goodevening sir." She said in a rather shaky voice.

Silence followed her greeting, and then he began walking toward her rather slowly, it was only then she noticed the walking stick in his hand and how shaky his footing was. She gulped uneasily when he stopped in front of her and flinched when he raised his hand to touch her face, from the corner of her eye, she saw Liam step forward just a little, but he stopped when he saw her father meant no harm.

"Ada." He said, his voice thick with emotion, she thought she saw his eyes get watery, but pegged it to be a figment of her imagination, her father never cried. [i]crying is for weaklings, people who have allowed the world get the best of them. We are not of this world so we do not shed tears for this world[/i]those were his words, the gospel he lived by. He brought her forehead to meet his, "Adannaya." He repeated. She felt the tears well up in her eyes in that moment, he hadn't called her that since she was 10-years old, back when she was his Ada, when she was the top student in her class, when she was the child he wanted, not the one he had to tolerate.

"Forgive me. Forgive me." The words were audible only to her ears, but they were enough to cause the tears to spill onto her cheeks, he brought a shaky hand to her left cheek and wiped the tear, "Nne m." He placed a light peck against her cheek.

The memories that flooded her brain caused Adanna to let out a sob, memories of when she was a little girl, when she would visit her father's childhood home and everyone would tell her how much she looked like her grandmother, she used to be the centre of attention, the child everyone doted upon, she used to be Elochi until Elochi was born, until she was suddenly thought of as being too dark to be an Ilo, until she lost her genius, lost her intelligence and became the family disgrace.

She wrapped her arms around her father and cried against his shoulder, her eyes caught sight of her older brother standing a few metres away, he was leaning against the wall, just observing everyone until his eyes fell on them, he looked so much like their father now, he was like a body double of him. He gave her a small smile, she could tell he was uncomfortable with the setting, perhaps it was the guilt that ate at him and prevented him from moving forward.

She returned his smile with one of her own, she had forgiven him. She had forgiven them a long time ago, the only thing that had kept her from returning was fear, apprehension, she didn't know if they would accept her back, didn't expect them to. Liam had told her countless times that she owed them nothing, that they were the ones who should fear that she wouldn't accept them in her life, but she would never have known true peace if she failed to re-unite with her family, to end on good terms. All those years, she had been in fear that she wouldn't get to see them again, that perhaps her father or someone would die before they all got the chance to clear the air.

It had taken a long time, but gladness filled her heart knowing she had gotten that chance to see them again, to start on something of a clean slate. That nobody hated her, they had all realised their error, even the Ice King himself had seen the light, she could only imagine what led to his glorious turn around, perhaps it was the realisation that he could die and none of his children would care, that there would be no pleasant memory of him in their lives. Whatever it was, she was extremely thankful for it.

She closed her eyes and smiled to herself, basking in the warm hug her father had now wrapped her in. The hug she had craved for all these years. That one hug that told her all she needed to know; she was loved, she was accepted, she was wanted.

This is THE END

14 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

The Adventure Of Corper John / Price of heartbreak (CLUELESS) / Eva Nneka's Story: High School Crush To A Forced Husband

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 128
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.