Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,747 members, 7,817,061 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:21 AM

Unwanted- Safarigirl - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Unwanted- Safarigirl (72645 Views)

The Unwanted Pregnancy / My Classic First Love Scenario And The Unwanted End / Getting A Life- Safarigirl (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Unwanted- Safarigirl by safarigirl(f): 9:12am On Jul 23, 2014
heemah: goodmorning safarigirl...nice work u v gt here..following lyk twitter..buh y av u abandoned GETTING A LIFE?? pls b consistent wv it....we r waitin anxiously
thanks dear, I haven't abandonded getting a life...I'm trying to juggle posting two stories and doing some work so I don't get to write some days

I'm currently writing more sha, should be posted before the end of the week
Re: Unwanted- Safarigirl by heemah(f): 9:46am On Jul 23, 2014
safarigirl: thanks dear, I haven't abandonded getting a life...I'm trying to juggle posting two stories and doing some work so I don't get to write some days

I'm currently writing more sha, should be posted before the end of the week
alright..#hwaiting#

1 Like

Re: Unwanted- Safarigirl by vizier007(m): 3:50pm On Aug 12, 2014
safarigirl where are you @. pls come and update this story.
Re: Unwanted- Safarigirl by Stephxoblessed(f): 10:16pm On Aug 13, 2014
O please more update. am xo loving this.
Re: Unwanted- Safarigirl by Kaymania(m): 6:54pm On Aug 24, 2014
crowniekay

Opracus
Re: Unwanted- Safarigirl by retainer(f): 9:23am On Sep 01, 2014
happy new month
waitin for ur update ooo @ safarigirl
Re: Unwanted- Safarigirl by safarigirl(f): 9:27pm On Sep 02, 2014
-Adanna-

It's been two days since I dropped the sketch at Liam's door, since then I haven't seen him. And it's not because I haven't been looking. The day after I kept looking out my wondow to see if he was doing same. By evening, I kept going out to walk around the house in the hopes that he would come out to read his book, but I was met with disappointment as he failed to practice his little ritual.

The same thing happened the day after, now I'm starting to think I may have spooked him away. Maybe he's intentionally avoiding me. Thinking back on it now, it probably wasn't the smartest thing to drop that sketch at his door. I didn't even have the guts to knock like a normal human being and hand it over to him, I had to take the coward's way out....and what a stupid way to go about it.

I groaned everytime the thought of my clumsiness came to mind. Yes, he would be justified if he chose to avoid me henceforth, but why did that thought make my stomach sink? I know we were far from friends, but still, it would've been nice just knowing me and him were cool.

I let out a sigh of resignation and re-focused my attention on Miss Elohor, our Government teacher as I tried to remember what exactly she was talking about. If I keep zoning out like this, I may have to re-take the UME again next year.

Just then, the lesson co-ordinator's secretary stepped into the class, and took the required excuse from Miss Elohor, looking around she asked, "Where is Adanna Ilo?"

I sat there staring while she repeated the question, why was I being asked for? What could I have done wrong? I rarely ever got asked for. It took Lami raising my hand up and shouting "She's here" to pull me out of my daze.

The secretary gave me a withering look apparently pissed that I made her repeat herself more than once before she said, "Your father is asking for you."

I froze immediately and it didn't take long before my min-seizure started. Beads of sweat emenated from my skin as my heart thudded so loud I swore the entire class could hear it. My eyes widened and my pulse raced. My father? Whatever I could have done to make him come here by 5pm, I just knew I was done for.

"Stand up now, you're wasting time."

Where I got the strength to get on my feet, I didn't know, still, I raised myself up and miraculously didn't find myself back on my assss due to weakened knees. Lami gave my hand a small squeeze of assurance as I moved toward the door, but her squeeze did nothing to calm my wrecked nerves. It was impossible to be calm when all that came to my mind were thoughts of a beating, aboniki and paracetamol.

I tried to calm my racing heart as I took my time going to the secretary who was too impatient to wait for me to reach her as she stepped out of the class and I could tell everyone was just waiting for me to get out so they could continue their class. So I hastened my footsteps towards my execution. I walked out with my head down, tears threatening to drop from my eyes as all I could think of was my awaiting punishment.

It's just not fair that I have to live like this. You hear people from struggling homes telling you how much they wish they were you, how perfect your family is and how much they wish they had your father or mother, but inside, you just know that none of them would survive a day in your life, and you in turn wish you were them. That's the summary of my life.

As I approached the reception, I heard a familiar voice conversing with the co-ordinator- and I swear it's nothing like my father's voice. My tears receded slightly as I raised my head to confirm my suspicion- my breath instantly caught in my throat. He was almost unrecognizable without the beard, far more handsome, but that was definitely him. A grin broke across my face, I reigned it in immediately catching myslef. Then a thought came to me, where was my father?

My heart continued to race, but it wasn't in fear. It was something else I refused to acknowledge there and then. I stepped closer, my insides giddy with excitement, his attention left the co-ordinator briefly and his gaze landed on me, pinning me to my exact position, correction, his transformation is totally breath-taking. I felt my insides do a flip and I gulped.

"Oh, there she is." The co-ordinator said effectively ending our staring contest as both our eyes shifted to him, the reprieve is highly welcomed.

I close the distance between myself and the co-ordinator, making sure to not stand close to Liam, his closeness frazzles me a little, why? I'd rather not say. From my vantage point, I glanced at him, I could get a clearer view of his profile from here, he looked REALLY, unbelievably good. He was dressed in a pair of ash-colored slacks paired with a deep blue dress shirt that fit his lean, muscular torso perfectly. He looked like he had just stepped off a magazine-cover.

"Adanna!"

I jumped, startled out of my thoughts by the co-ordinator who was now staring at me, his features contorted in what could best be described as a puzzled look, "Yes sir." I answered.

He didn't pay too much attention to my lack of...attention, thankfully, "Do you know this man? He said your father sent him to get you."

My heart momentarily stopped beating- or so I thought, I wanted to think this was some form od reuse to get me out of school, but an inner voice told me it wasn't uhuru just yet, there was still a bright chance that Liam was here on my father's orders, how could they have met? I don't know really, but it can't be ruled out.

"I...yes, yes, I know him." I breathed, I wanted to add that he was our neighbour, but I held my tongue. I'm still not sure if he's here genuinely or under pretences, and I really don't know who he introduced himself as, I wouldn't want to ruin anything.

"Ehn ehn, well, he has come to pick you up. I wanted to call your father, but the young man informed me he's unavailable currently. Just sign out and go."

I don't think I've ever moved as fast as I did once I heard those words. I didn't bother to call out Mr. Alabi's (the co-ordinator) bluff, it's not that he 'planned' to call my father, the man is a trusted miser, he had no plans to call my father and just this once I'm immensely grateful for his carelessness.

It only took 2 minutes, during which Liam bade farewell to the lesson co-ordinator who asked him to return soon enough (yes, I did an eye roll at this juncture) and we left the confines of the school, to get to his car....he had a car?

I shot him a look of surprise as he opened the passenger door for me, I got in and sat, waiting for him to join me before I said a word. While he turned around to his side of the car, thoughts ran in my head, he had a car? Why was he here? What....?

"I'm guessing you'd like to know why I'm here?"

I turned to say....something. What? I don't quite remember anymore, once I turned and saw those beautiful greys on me, I momentarily went dumb- but not paralysed, I nodded fearing that my voice may betray me.

He smiled disarmingly, did I mention he had a beautiful smile? He would definitely trump all competitions for a role in a Close Up advert. He looked much younger without the beard, it had definitely added some years to his profile.

"I was kind of hoping you wouldn't ask."

I gave him a warm smile, "Don't worry, whaetver it is, I won't be angry." I was a bit surprised to find my voice was normal...well, at least as normal as it can be in this situation.

He nodded, "Fair enough. I'll tell you over dinner."

With that he started the car and drove off, leaving me anxious till we got to our destination- where were we going anyway?

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Unwanted- Safarigirl by safarigirl(f): 9:28pm On Sep 02, 2014
retainer: happy new month
waitin for ur update ooo @ safarigirl
happy new moth to you too dear.

Exams are over, so I can write now smiley

1 Like

Re: Unwanted- Safarigirl by LogoDWhiz(m): 10:27pm On Sep 02, 2014
Nice updates as usual.

Glad you're back.
Re: Unwanted- Safarigirl by seunviju(f): 11:07pm On Sep 02, 2014
I wonder why some parents scare their children 2 dat extent.well done safarigirl,tnx 4 the update

2 Likes

Re: Unwanted- Safarigirl by retainer(f): 3:32am On Sep 04, 2014
tnx for d update
i wonda wt liam is thinkin i hope dey dnt get caught
Re: Unwanted- Safarigirl by safarigirl(f): 2:26pm On Sep 05, 2014
-Liam-

The fast food joint wasn't packed up thankfully. It wasn't where I had in mind, but when I asked her where she'd like to eat, she mentioned this place with an enthusiasm that just couldn't be refused. As she sat across from me, her excitement barely contained, it was well worth it.

I found it odd that she was this excited to be out like this, for all the money her family seemed to own, you'd think they frequent such places a lot. I couldn't help but remember last Sunday once again, maybe things weren't as great in the household as they wanted the world to think.

"When did you buy a car?"

That was the first question she had thrown at me since we got here, she was sipping on a milkshake, her eyes focused on her plate of fries, I've noticed she doesn't maintain eye contact, doesn't she know that's a vital part of conversation?

"I'll tell you when you look at me."

She froze, did I scare her? I wouldn't know, it seems to me like everything scares her. She hesitantly raised her head up finally and looked at me, not eye to eye, but it was a start.

"See, that isn't so bad."

She smiled demurely and looked away briefly but returned her gaze to me before I could tell her to do so. She has a beautiful smile, I know it would look better if she wasn't so guarded, I'm yet to see her give a full smile, I mean teeth and all. For a teenager, she was a little too child-like which could be endearing in another situation, but knowing her situation made everything quite disturbing.

I have no idea where the thought came from, but at that moment I made up my mind to protect her from whatever she was going through and whoever was putting her through it. It looked like a Herculean task especially as I'm well aware of who I was going to face, but I realised for the first time in 2 years I felt needed. She may not have solicited for my help directly and I knew if I waited to get her go ahead, it would never come, but I never wanted to see that look of fear and uncertainty cross her features again.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Unwanted- Safarigirl by safarigirl(f): 2:29pm On Sep 05, 2014
-Adanna-

I have NEVER had this much fun in my life.

It was only 2 hours, but it was probably the best 2 hours I would ever have. This is the kind of life I wanted, the kind of life I craved for, I was out with someone- a man...a drop dead gorgeous man who was actually interested in talking to ME, awkward, ugly, unintelligent, trainwreck ME. I can't say the amount of times I had to pinch myself to be sure I was within the realms of reality, just know I had a decent amount of marks from that act on my arm.

Our time was so awesome, I didn't even notice all the odd stares we were getting from other patrons, in my little world, it was just me and Liam, talking. I eventually got comfortable looking at him, it took some getting used to, but he wasn't forceful about it. We spoke lengthily on a range of topics; academics, entertainment, sports...suffice it to say I didn't contribute much to any of the topics because being locked up for most of my life meant I had limited knowledge in all things social. He didn't make me feel dumb though, and speaking to him didn't end up sounding like a conversation with Pete Edochie or Wole Soyinka, it just sounded like...Liam.

If I had been told I would ever find myself in a conversation with a male that was neither my father nor my brother, I would have laughed, it just didn't seem realistic that any man would want to be involved in a conversation with me, how wrong I was.

He was very interested in talking to me, I told him some things about myself, I didn't go into details of course, just the surface things I droned out to those who weren't family members, he tried to go deeper by asking some questions, but I avoided them, he never pushed it, he just gave me this knowing look like I would eventually come around. He didn't need to know everything...and I could tell he wasn't being very open either.

I guess on some level, whenever you meet someone like you, you just sense it, in my case, someone with unsettling secrets. He gave me the basics, he was American like originally assumed, from Delaware, 30 years old, let it be known that I temporarily zoned out hearing that I had been fantasising about a man 11 years my senior. He looked younger, not by much, but younger still. I made a mental note to start thinking of him more like an elder brother (though he was 8 years older than my elder brother).

I managed to return to reality and catch him saying something about having been married with a child, I asked what happened with his family and he gave this far off look, managed a small smile and said "Life" he gave no further explanations and I didn't seek any.

After that awkward moment, time just flew by and now...now reality had come crashing down. As we neared our street, all thoughts of my fun day flew out the window and all I could think of was the hell that awaited me at home, I was so close to breaking down and begging Liam not to let me return to my private hell, but I didn't know him that well just yet, it would be the height of foolishness to dump all of my troubles on the first male to give me more than a passive glance, I wanted to remain friends with him for as long as possible and crying my eyes out in his car while confessing all I passed through within the confines of the building I called home wasn't going to help.

He noticed my change in demeanor because he parked the car at a corner and turned to me with a concerned look, "Are you okay, Dani?"

I turned to him swiftly, "Hmm?"

"Are you okay? You look a little out of it."

I managed a thin smile and nodded, "Yes, I'm fine." He didn't need to know anything. It was none of his business.

I watched him with some confusion as he stepped out of the car and walked to the passenger's side, he opened the door and looked straight at me, "Get out."

I believe I went pale at that, I know it's hard to imagine a person of dark complexion going pale, but I swear I did. At that moment crying seemed the best option, how had I just ruined the first friendship I had with a man? What kind of fvcked up person was I? I stepped out of his car, one foot at a time as I tried to tell myself that I wouldn't cry, but from the way my eyes filled with tears, I knew I was just deceiving myself.

The pain that passed through me thinking that I had somehow ruined my friendship with Liam was far worse than anything I had ever felt, the last time I felt anything like this was when I was 8 years old and my illusion of a happy, loving family had been wiped out by my father's fist in my face.

I managed to finally get out of the car, my heart hammering in my chest, somehow, my legs were sturdy against the grounds, bless these legs of mine for they had carried me through the worst days of my life, even if everything and everyone else failed, my legs were my pillars. I didn't want to wait to hear the rest of his admonishing, I couldn't bear to hear someone else tell me how disappointed he was in me and how I could never do anything right, with my eyes newly re-acquainted with it's favourite thing to stare at- the ground, I waited for him to at least leave my way. He didn't.

I felt warm fingers under my chin, he raised them so that I could look into his eyes. For the past 7 years, I had managed to steel myself against the abuse meted out on me, I guess I became so used to the pain that it made me numb, no matter how hard I was beaten or how terribly I was insulted, I made sure no one saw my tears, they were a sign of weakness, tears meant I had accepted that I was wrong, that I couldn't meet up to the required standard, tears meant I had let the weight of the world conquer me, I refused to be conquered. But in that moment, when my eyes met his and I saw all the pity he washed me with, I finally let 7 years of tears fall- and decided Liam was going to be the unfortunate one to take it all.

He pulled me to him and wrapped his arms around me in a tight hug as I cried my pains away on his chest, his hand patted my head as he whispered words of comfort and encouragement to me. In that moment, I realised I needed someone, I had always needed someone else to understand my pain and I hadn't found any until now. Lami was there, she knew of it, but she didn't understand, she had never truly known pain. Liam on the other hand, he knew pain, maybe not my kind, but pain as deep, maybe deeper than what I felt.

He had his own story as well. I wanted to know it, but right now, I was content with just being held, being comforted, being...understood

13 Likes

Re: Unwanted- Safarigirl by seunviju(f): 9:21pm On Sep 05, 2014
Huh
Re: Unwanted- Safarigirl by teewhysafe(f): 8:26am On Sep 06, 2014
Dt ws touching! Cud relate wit d feeling! Well done girl

1 Like

Re: Unwanted- Safarigirl by safarigirl(f): 11:53pm On Sep 16, 2014
Dear Liam,

You have no idea how glad I am to finally hear from you. I cried for over an hour when I received your message. I read it at least 15 times each day to assure myself that you sent it, that you're alive somewhere. I've missed you so very much my son. I wish you were here with me, I wish I could see your face and touch you.

I hope you're eating well, I still make those waffles you love so much. Sometimes it's like you're right here with me. If you can, you should really thank Kean and Doyle, they've kept me company in your absence. Kean goes grocery shopping for me twice each month and Doyle's an absolute sweetheart. Kean's getting married to Gina in the fall. Remember how he used to tease you about being his bestman?

I'll stop here. I won't ask you to come back, I'm just glad you're safe and well wherever you are. I miss you.

P.S: Doyle says he'll find you wherever you are and when he does, he'll make you his B.I.T.C.H (you kids should really watch your language)
Love, Mom.

I couldn't stop the smirk that grew on my face as I read the last sentence. Yes, that sounded like something Doyle would say. I read the entire letter again and almost laughed at my mother's cunning ways reading the true meaning of some of her sentences.

She had written like she was fine with my not returning, but there were subtle hints in the letter that aimed at baiting me, like mentioning my favorite waffles and reminding me of Keane's request that I be his bestman. The latter struck me more.

Keane had been my bestman when I married Avery. We had agreed to be each other's bestmen back in college and it seemed all was on tack after I married Avery...until life happened, and then all of our promises to each other in college didn't hold much weight anymore. I was too f'ucked up to give a Bleep and I knew very well that I would've been dead by now if I had remained home.

Keane had attempted to release my demons. He was a psychologist in a hospital and so he thought himself the perfect person to draw me. out of my depressive state, but things failed to go as planned. There was too much bile in me, I didn't wish to transfer any of that to my best friend. One day, I was going through a travel guide, Keane had advised him to seek new interests in order to keep myself busy and I thought travelling something new.

When I had planned my life, I never imagined travelling out of the US for anything more than business, even when Avery had wanted to visit Bali for our honeymoon, I had managed to convince her otherwise. Travelling was not my thing, so it was as new an interest as I could imagine.

I came across an advert on a trip to Namibia, Africa. The views were picturesque, the listed activities seemed engaging enough, it looked like a good enough place to have a retreat. I decided thereon to make further research on the entire continent of Africa. I couldn't say when I began having thoughts of leaving the country, but soon it was all I could think of. I had long since come to the conclusion that I would be moving to Africa, where in Africa? Well, suffice it to say, Nigeria hadn't been my first or second or even third choice. I initially marked out Senegal, Cape Verde and Kenya, I struck out Kenya because of the high rate of tourist activities, it would be too obvious, Cape Verde was next to leave, I wanted a new life, but I surely didn't plan on learning a new language. That left Senegal.

I had made up his mind...or so I thought.

During my research on Senegal, I discovered they were a French-speaking nation, once I struck the country out, I outlined the English speaking West African nations, Nigeria had popped out for various reasons. First was the population, it wouldn't be difficult to get lost in such a population, and he could just pass an an expatriate. Then I thought of the possibility of being found, it wasn't particularly a high tourist centre, especially with the growing insecurity there, no one would think to look for me in a country like Nigeria.

Within 2 weeks, I had processed my visa, it wasn't very difficult, definitely not as stressful as it would have been if things were the other way around and a Nigerian was seeking a residential visa in America.

Somehow I had managed to conduct my affairs without raising much suspicion, Keane had even thought I was regaining my old self. I had taken a few things of importance including a photo of Avery and Andrew and left the USA with nothing more than a carry-on. I hadn't regretted moving ever since.

The first few months were a bit rocky because I was trying to understand how things worked here, it wasn't as easy getting information off the internet here as it was in the US, but I eventually got the hang of things. I didn't have to do much work because I was pretty set as far as money was concerned, I had enough to last me a decade if I chose to never lift a finger. I was no spendthrift though so that helped.

I stood up leaving my laptop open and the message still showing as I was undecided on whether to reply it or not, but I was pretty sure I'd end up choosing the latter. As I walked to the fridge to get myself a drink, I passed by a table right next to the kithen and my eyes caught a small piece of paper which I instantly recognised as one which contained the mobile number of Adanna's friend, Lami.

After she had cried her heart out, she had asked that I go on my way, something about not raising her father's suspicions- I agreed unwilling to put her through any more trouble than absolutely necessary, but before I left I requested some form of contact. I was shocked to find she had none of such, she didn't have a mobile phone or even an e-mail address as her father made sure to keep all forms of devices away from the house saying such exposure would corrupt their minds. Yes, the man is on a whole 'nother level of crazy.

I don't know where the thought came from, but I just asked if she had any trustworthy person I could reach her through, she instantly brightened up with a heart-stopping smile, it definitely did a number on my heart. She mentioned Lami and then rattled her number off like she had been waiting for an opportunity to use it since forever. Once I got it down, she said I could only call on weekdays in the evening because those were the times she was with her. Good enough for me.

I glanced at the digital clock on my centre table- yes, I know that's not an ideal place to keep such, but since I'm not expecting visitors, I see no need to do anything the conventional way- it was just a few minutes after 6:00pm, her lesson would be over by eight.

An overwhelming need to call and know how she's doing took over me and I was dialling Lami's number before I could stop myself. There was no answer at my first try, as expected, I should just wait a while, maybe they were having a class. Fat chance. I re-dialled without missing a beat.

This time, someone picked- a breathy voice with a soft feminne lilt answered, "Hello?" She sounded a bit wary, but that was expected, my number is a strange one after all

"Hi, is this Lami?" I asked.

"Yes, this is she. Who is this and how did....?" There was a slight pause just when I was readying myself for a plethora of questions. She sounded a bit saucy. "Are you the Liam that has the guts to toast Sir Phillip Ugochukwu Ilo's daughter?"

Ooookay. Lami scared me more than Adanna's father officially.

"Is Dani with you?"

I could hear something of a scuffle going on in the background as she replied, "Yes, but first, I have some..." I didn't get the rest of her comment, but I could still hear the scuffle going on.

"Liam." This was a different voice, it sounded breathless like one who had just finished a tasking exercise, but beneath that, I recognised Dani's voice with ease, a small smile eased on my face once I heard her voice. I had to catch myself at that, what is going on with me?

"Hi, how are you?" I asked, a bit too enthusiastically if I do say so myself.

"I'm..." She was cut off and once again I heard some background noise, I could just vaguely hear Dani talking about my credit going before whoever was with her- Lami to be precise seemed to give in, her voice came back, "I'm fine. Sorry about Lami, she's the officer in charge." She sounded...happy. There was evident laughter in her voice and it warmed my heart to hear her voice like that- damn, I'm sounding unforgivably cheesy, where the hell are these lines coming from? It's like some sappy romantic has seized temporary control of my thoughts.

I smiled, "I understand." Really I did, I was somewhat glad she had a friend like that, saucy or not it was apparent Lami was one of the few lights in Dani's world, I found myself wanting to join this exclusive association.

"How's the lesson going?"

"It's fine so far, how are you?"

"I'm fine." Surely she realises I'm in a far better position to ask that question, I mean, I may be f'ucked up, but at least I don't have some psycho, tyrannical father controlling everything from the clothes I wear to how much air I can breathe per hour, "How are you?"

"I'm ok"

"How are you, really?"

There was a pause this time as she understood the gravity of that question, "I'm...better. I mean, they were a bit tired when I got home yesterday so I didn't have much trouble and they left early for work this morning so there was limited interaction. Thanks for asking."

There was a genuine appreciation in her voice, I doubt a lot of people bothered to find out how she was really doing, they just took whatever she gave first. I knew all too well how misleading such answers could be with someone that lived through pain on a daily basis. I was 'just fine' to virtually everyone when my family passed on. It took Keane and my mother sitting me down and asking "just how 'fine' are you?" Before I finally agreed that I wasn't fine. I was damaged.

"It's okay. Maybe we can go out again some other time?" I really wanted that chance to take her somewhere fun and exciting. Perhaps I wouldn't get the chance as easily as I did the first time I dropped by her lesson, but I was really to think something out. And this time, I would make sure the day didn't end in tears for her.

"I...I would like that." Her voice had a smile in it, I could just imagine her blushing.

"I'll see if I can sneak you out of your lesson one of these days."

She giggled this time, "Okay."

"Shey you know we'll be having another class in a few minutes time? Tell your boyfriend to free you." I heard Lami tease. This time I smiled.

"I have to go."

"Okay, I just wanted to hear your voice and tell you goodnight."

"Thank you. I appreciate it."

"It was my pleasure. Goodbye."

"Bye."

I guess this is where I disconnect the call, but I temporarily forgot where that button was on the phone, "Okay, bye then."

"Good night." She replied.

"'Night night."

She giggled, "Okay"

"I don't want to end this call yet." I admitted to her. This time, I was rewarded with the most beautiful laugh. She was hiding too many things from the world, some things ought to be shared and that electric laugh was definitely up there.

"Me neither."

I smiled glad that she hadn't shied away, "So, what can we do about that?" I queried, fully intending to keep up with the conversation as long as I could

"My friend, cut that call and stop running down my battrey, I thought you said he doesn't have credit"

Lami. If I could, I would introduce her to Doyle, they're so alike it's unbelievable, she was probably too young for him though. I snickered at that thought, as long as she was legal, no female was too young for the dog.

"I said you were wasting his credit, I didn't say he doesn't have credit." I heard Dani answer her.

"It's all the same thing. So because me I don't have boyfriend that can call me, you want to be playing ije love with my phone."

"Lami! He can hear you."

"Very good sef, so he can stop filling your ears with sweet nothings...ehen, you see, she's here."

I supposed the 'she' in question was the teacher for the next class. Too bad, I was seriously enjoying their little conversation, it had been a while I was the centre of such attention.

"I guess I really should end the call now." Ermmm, well, duh! Sherlock, I thought to myself. Oh, my stupidity was on a roll tonight.

"Sorry about Lami."

"Oh, no. She sounds interesting, I'd like to meet her soon."

"Of course, if he doesn't get my approval, he won't see you again." I heard Lami say. I chuckled, oh, she was definitely interesting.

"Okay, my class is about to start. Goodnight and thank you for calling."

I smiled, "Goodnight dear." This time, the call was successfully disconnected, and no, not by me.

5 Likes

Re: Unwanted- Safarigirl by MissSlimbody(f): 11:35am On Sep 17, 2014
Love is in d air

Buh Dani, no let ur papa catch u o.

Nice work, safarigirl

1 Like

Re: Unwanted- Safarigirl by uzolexis(f): 12:15pm On Sep 23, 2014
Dani and Liam..... grin kiss
Re: Unwanted- Safarigirl by bumsiee: 8:52pm On Sep 23, 2014
Nice 1 maam. Following u all d way
Re: Unwanted- Safarigirl by safarigirl(f): 5:36pm On Sep 25, 2014
-Adanna-

Today is the first day of my pain. No, I don't mean physical pain, I go through that everyday, I mean psychological pain. You may wonder why, well, most tertiary institutions in the country just went on second semester breaks, still don't understand what I mean?

I won't make this any more of a suspense than it ought to be, what it means is my siblings will soon be home and by 'soon' I mean, my little sister is on her way presently and my elder brother will be arriving in two days.

My life is about to get worse than it already is. Now even some of our church members that spared me a nice compliment on Sundays won't pay me any attention. You know how it is when that person in your family that hasn't been home in months suddenly returns from school and you who's a regular face fades into the background for a couple of weeks? Well, my situation is far worse cuz that 'spotlight thief' of mine is one who's always had the spotlight- Elochi- my beautiful, intelligent, perfect little sister who has everything I want, the only thing I have that she can never take away is the title of 'Ada' but that doesn't count for much, if my father could he would've stripped me of the title and handed it to Elochi with a big medal of honor for being 'the pride of the Ilo family'...if you haven't gotten the memo, I'm the disgrace. Woohoo!

So here I am, hustling and bustling around our large kitchen- alone if I may add, but i'm sure you must have figured that itty bitty detail out- trying to act like i'm glad one of the causes of my suffering will be arriving soon, emphasis on the word trying because I know I'm not as giddy as the world would have me be.

I'm expected to prepare different meals, I've only just finished preparing a small pot of her favorite goat-meat peppersoup, right now I have the pots of groundnut soup and vegetable soup on fire, i'm thankfully through with the pot of jollof rice and I'm set to start frying some pieces of chicken, all this while, I'm sweating like a pig, but who cares anyway? The voice of my brother comes to me with the popular words (at least in this house) "NFCS does"...I almost smile to myself, but a drop of sweat clinging to my eyelash and then dropping into my defenseless eye makes sure I keep fond memories of that potential slave driver away.

I stare at everything I have set for the arrival of my sweet, lovable sister ith disdain, with the sort of feast set you'd think we're hosting the entire church congregation. Instead, it's just a few intimate friends which in layman terms mean anyone of importance in my parents' places of work, all of our godparents, some members of the church associations my parents belong to and basically all the people I am NOT interested in seeing.

Why? Because all they'll do is praise my sister and ask me questions I have no answers to like when I plan to gain University admission. Surely I can't be the only one who thinks that question silly, I mean it's not like most people choose to sit home after gradution from secondary education, I can't tell when I'll get University admission so I just use my now popular reply,"Whenever God pleases"...oh trust me, it's always best to push all my dilemmas over to God, once I mention the Creator, there's always a more pleasurable disposition about my interrogators.

Just as the vegetable soup is ready, I hear the sound of a car pulling up to the front of our house. Surely that can't be her, it's too early, I mean, I deserve a few more minutes of relative bliss before the hounding of the jambite begins. I listen closely and the sound of her sickeningly sweet voice signals the beginning of my Oscar-worthy acting to last a month- the approximate amount of time both my siblings will be spending at home, wish me luck.

5 Likes

Re: Unwanted- Safarigirl by seunviju(f): 6:52pm On Sep 25, 2014
This isn't easy for Ada @ all but wat kind of parents are they.Wish you luck Ada,thanks 4 the update
Re: Unwanted- Safarigirl by Maryclaire1(f): 2:49pm On Sep 27, 2014
U are awesome ma'am no I mean ur really gud,no, no....ur great.loving it
Re: Unwanted- Safarigirl by retainer(f): 4:54am On Oct 07, 2014
Hope u r fyn
waiting 4 update
Re: Unwanted- Safarigirl by Nobody: 6:42am On Oct 18, 2014
tongue Say no to drugs undecided
Re: Unwanted- Safarigirl by ethereal(f): 2:47pm On Oct 18, 2014
@safari girl.tnx fr d update...ardently following too.
Re: Unwanted- Safarigirl by bumsiee: 8:59pm On Oct 18, 2014
Pls ma it's been so long. Just wanted 2 knw if u hav a blog were dis awesome story is already completed so dat I n oders can switch over dere 2 complete reading it
N pls hope ur good. We miss u.

1 Like

Re: Unwanted- Safarigirl by ethereal(f): 7:45am On Oct 19, 2014
bumsiee:
Pls ma it's been so long. Just wanted 2 knw if u hav a blog were dis awesome story is already completed so dat I n oders can switch over dere 2 complete reading it
N pls hope ur good. We miss u.
@ safari girl,I'm with bumsiee on dis one tOo.d update take too long in coming and d suspense is killing to put it mildly!lollz
Re: Unwanted- Safarigirl by safarigirl(f): 1:07pm On Oct 19, 2014
Sorry for the wait guys. The next update is a lil lengthy, but I'll be posting it by the end of the day hopefully. I've been trying to start up a blog but I find it somewhat complicated. I'll complete this story on NL though, might not complete the others here
Re: Unwanted- Safarigirl by safarigirl(f): 6:50am On Oct 21, 2014
-Liam-

I know I've been staring at her longer than I should, but I can't help it. It's a bit surreal that I have Ada standing a few metres away from me in my apartment. I will admit, it was no easy task and my methods were a bit sly, but she's here and I'm oddly contented with that.

I'm not particularly proud of how I got her here and I will admit, I've never done anything so risky, but it's well worth the risk. She had to skip her lesson to be here. We have Lami covering our tracks so there are no worries- I knew she'd come in handy eventually. Her parents and siblings are out visiting family, or like she put it "gloating over her siblings' achievements"....I didn't bother asking for any further explanation.

I see the sadness in her eyes whenever she speaks of her siblings. I'm somewhat surprised not to find any sort of envy, most people in her boots would be green with it. She sounds pained, like it hurts her to even think about it....well, I didn't let the thought last. I had just about 3 hours with her and I wasn't going to let it turn into a lamentation session.

Unable to stop my roving eyes, I let myself admire and appreciate her outfit of choice. I'd rather not think too far on it, but I'd like to think she got extra pretty for me. Her knee-length jeans fit more than what I'm used to seeing her on finally confirming my assertion that she does have a nice butt, it's no booty, but it's firm and round, like a bubble butt. She pairs it with a tank top and a plaid shirt which she leaves unbuttoned, her breasts are perky and medium-sized, she's slim and curvy. I've never been one to be carried away by looks, but I do appreciate a nice-looking female and Dani is definitely one.

As if just waiting for my approval, a nosey part of my brain pops up, reminding me that she's a girl. Maybe not in the real sense of the word, but considering how old I am, it's somewhat perverted that I have these thoughts about her....but I can't help myself. As much as I remember that angle, the major part of me acknowledges one fact only,

I want her.

"Are you a Christian?" Her voice broke me out of my reverie, but I'm only able to catch her last word.

"Sorry?"

This time, she turns fully around, apparently she's not interested in my music collection anymore, "Are you a Christian?" She repeats.

I look away from her and find myself shaking my head in the negative. Well, I definitely didn't envisage this scene. Whatever did religion have to do with anything.

"Are you?"

Well, she seems mighty interested in hearing my voice, "Not anymore." I reply, my voice coming out with more bitterness than I would like.

She stares at me perplexed, I suppose she has never imagined someone not being a Christian, "Okay." I barely mutter the 'great' thinking she's dropped it when she hits me with another question, "Are you a muslim?"

"No"

She continues to stare, making me uneasy. I don't think I've ever felt so uncomfortable. I wish she'd just drop it.

"Do you believe in God?"

"What does that matter?" I snap sending a glare her way. Almost immediately, she shuts down. I see the entire process and I feel a stab in my chest knowing it's my fault.

"Okay. I'm sorry." She replies softly and then returns to my music collection like she never turned away from it

I know this one. She's returning to her little shell, I don't want that, I don't want her to hide herself from me like she does from her family.

As if controlled by a remote, I stand up and walk over to her, I find my arms wrapped around her mid-riff, she goes still but I make no attempts to take my hands away from her, "I'm sorry." My voice is calm, relating to her that I meant no harm.

She says nothing, so I continue, I won't stop speaking until she talks to me, "I didn't mean to snap at you like that, forgive me."

She remains silent for a while, and just when I'm about to continue, she speaks, "Why?"

I'm momentarily lost, she makes no efforts to elaborate and I'm left to figure out her meaning. Once I finally realise she hasn't dropped the subject, I slowly release her.

That gets her attention as she turns to look at me, her gaze is filled with curiosity and confusion, both of which I wish I could erase, but I fear that remembering may release demons I've managed to keep away for a while....demons I would rather not release.

As if reading my mind, she hesitantly takes my hand in hers, it's easy to see bodybcontact isn't something she's used to, that she's making the effort in my case is endearing

"You know you can talk to me. I mean..." she pauses, whether for emphsis or for lack of words, I don't know and I don't worry my head on it especially as i'm spellbound by her dark, expressive pools.

She bites her lip, bringing myvattention to it, i'm unable to look away even as she continues speaking, "...I know we haven't known each other that long, but I've told you some things about me that no one else knows..well, except Lami, and...if it's not asking too much, I'd like to know about you too."

I should turn my back on her and ask her to leave, I barely know this girl...then again she barely knows me and she still shared an important side of herself with me. It would only be fair if I extended the same level of trust she bestowed upon me to her.

It's right on my tongue, this strong urge to deny her request and send her on her way like I've done many others before her, "Last year, February..." I hear myself say. She gives me a look of encouragement, I tell myself to stop while I can...while the demons are still locked up, but for some strange reason, it seems my brain and my tongue are not on good terms currently

"...I...I'm..I was married, we had a five year old son, I any my wife. She...her name is...was Avery." I swallow the lump that has formed in my throat somewhat glad for her silence, I can already see the events of that day flashing in my mind's eyem I want it all to stop, but first I'll have to tell it all.

Heavy feet drag themselves to the nearest couch and I plop down on it, with a deep sigh, I force myself to continue, "They were going to her parents' place, I was supposed to take them, but...something...work came up, I told her to call me when theyvarrived. She promised she would....she never did."

My eyes remain glued to my feet as I replay the call I eventually got later that evening, the call that almost ended me, "I tried calling her when three hours had gone by and I didn't hear from her, but I couldn't reach her. I called her mum and she said they were yet to arrive, they should've been there within an hour....I drove round the city searching for them, I drove for hours and I saw nothing. Then, sometime around 5pm, I got a call from a police officer...." the wet spot on my thigh is the only thing that tells me I'm crying. Damn it, I hate doing this. I hate remembering. I should stop here.

My vision is suddenly filled with Dani's profile, she's stooped to look at my face, she takes my face in her warm hands and I briefly close my eyes enjoying the soothing warmth that simple touch brings me. It almost feels like she's easing my pain wordlessly, I appreciate her enough to finish my story.

"There had beeen an accident, I was to visit the hospital to inquire about my family. St. Ruth's, she interned there. When I got there, I was taken to the office of Dr. Kensington, my wife ws dead, but my son, Andrew, he was alive, barely so. They told me he would be paralysed from his neck downwards if he survivedm they said it would be best to approve euthanasia. I refused, even if he never recognised me, I just wanted my son. I prayed. Dani I prayed so bleeping hard those three days, I didn't go home, I didn't go to work. I was in the ICU, by my son's bed, reading him scriptures and praying to...to God that He would save him, he had taken his mother, why couldn't He just save him? I woke up to the sound of him having a seizure, the doctors and nurses had to drag me out to get me to leave. It was the worst hour of my life. I just wanted him alive, I just wanted to see his smile or hear him call me daddy and God....God couldn't save him. He...he..."

I swore I would never shed a tear after I buried my family, but sitting here and seeing Dani's eyes water, remembering that cursed day at the hospital, I can't stop myself from breaking down.

She's right there to hold me. She cradles my head against her shoulder and runs her fingers through my hair, massaging my scalp like Avery would do to ease my nerves. For over a year i've been telling myself I'm ovetthe death of Avery and Andrew, but it's all been a lie. A silly distraction from the fact, right now though,in the arms of Dani, I feel a sense of closure wash over me, maybe this is what I needed all along, to talk, to really talk to someone

She finally speaks when she feels I've calmed down, "I'm sorry"

I hug her tighter, she understands me so well. She realises it's nit time to bring up any sermons, to question my choices or condemn them. Even with Keane it was always more of a therapy session thn two friends talking, but with Dani....

"Thank you." I whisper in her ear. I follow it up with a peck to her earlobe. She goes still as if just realising I have her in a hug, it occurs to me that she's not quite comfortable with body contact but sue me if I care, I like having her close, it soothes me in a way I can't quite put into words....

I inhale deeply, she smells really nice, like lavender and something else I can't put my finger on, but I definitely like it.

I think she's stoppe?d breathing, I almost chuckle at the thought, it would be really funny if I wasn't experiencing the same feeling. Maybe we shouldn't have gotten this. close, but right now I can't process much thought in my brain, even less decipher right from wrong.

She has me in such a twist. I've never been this conflicted. I want her so much, but she's young and we're both in bad places. There's every possibility that we're only close because of our pains and nothing else....I don't know if that's good or bad

I let go of her reluctantly and watch her stand, maybe not as steadily as she would like, but that's to be expected considering she's been stooping for a while.

She blesses me with a demure smile, normally she would look cute with such a smile, but the thoughts I have of her currently are far from 'cute'...I need to stop this. It's bad for mem I just know it.

"I...I have to go. They'll be back soon and I don't...." she's unable to complete her words- because she's not being truthful. Her eyes stare pleadingly at me, I understand her reason, it's probably best she leave before I do something I regret

I nod, "It's fine. I'll walk you to the door."

Her neck snaps in the door's direction like she's just noticing it. She smiles, another close-lipped one, what do I have to do to get a teeth smile? Her only reply is a nod

It's about 4pm. Weekend lessons end at 3 so she's spent an extra hour. It's aout time shee left, but all I can think are selfish thoughts on how to make her stay a while.

Despite those thoughts, I get on my feet and walk her to the door, she starts talking, I wouldn't call it that though, more like rambling about how fun it was to be out again, I zone out, all I can see is her, my mind is filled with thoughts of her, of holding her, of inhaling her wonderful scent, of...of doing things to her a 30-year old shouldn't be doing to a 19-year old and as much as I wish I could, I can't stop my straying thoughts.

We finally get to the door, which I suddenly think is too short a distance from the sitting room, she turns for her final farewell, "I have to go now, it was nice talking to you. Maybe if I find the chance we can talk another time." she says, staring up at me with those enchanting orbs. I'm unable to use my tongue, so my head nods in acknowledgment instead.

She nods and smiles, "Okay, bye." she turns and opens the door, but before she can walk out, my hand reaches for her arm and grabs it. Her eyes go up to mine, filled with confusion, I'm sure my eyes reflect the same emotion because I can't say I understands why I did it, but even at that I'm unable to let go

So here we are standing by my door having some sort of staredown and I'm wondering why I won't release her. I barely catch the action, but her tongue snakes out to swipe at her bottom lip out of nervousness I guess, but before any rational thoughts can seep into my brain, I pull her to my hard body and my lips crash onto hers.

Her momentary shock at my action leaves her frozen for some seconds, but I pay no mind to that,only thing I know is she's got the softest lips i've ever kissed- and I've kissed a lot. I hear her release a muffled moan as she acquiesces to my onslaught, it's faint, but it gets me on a high as I dare to move further, wrapping my arm around her waist, just a few inches above her butt and crushing her lithe body to mine.

Her hands wrap themselves around my neck and her fingers massage my hairline. It feels great, everything about this kiss feels awesome, my tongue dances along the seam of her lips seeking entrAnce which she grants me to my delight, but that is short-lived. I barely get the taste of mint on my tongue when I feel a push against my shoulders.

I'm off of her in a second.she stares at me wide-eyed, her fingers against her lips. The look on her face tells of shock and confusion and it's enough to kick-start my docile brain. I run my hand throug my hair and sigh, "God Dani, I'm so sor..."

The words barely leave my lips when the door is flung open and she's on a sprint home. I want to shout for her to come back, I want to apologise, I want her assurance that she and I are still good and I haven't lost the little trust she bestowed upon me with my foolish and selfish action. But I do none of that.

I just watch her go and hope I haven't messed things up with her

5 Likes

Re: Unwanted- Safarigirl by heemah(f): 7:49am On Oct 21, 2014
What a beautiful long update!!! i cnt ask for more...Gud to have you back here Safarigirl...how have you been??
Re: Unwanted- Safarigirl by Jaymima(f): 8:12am On Oct 21, 2014
Nice update. Thanx. Plz update soon.
Re: Unwanted- Safarigirl by safarigirl(f): 8:26am On Oct 21, 2014
heemah:
What a beautiful long update!!! i cnt ask for more...Gud to have you back here Safarigirl...how have you been??
I've been good dear, hope you're same

I think I'll be adding the POV of a third character in my next update

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

The Adventure Of Corper John / Price of heartbreak (CLUELESS) / Eva Nneka's Story: High School Crush To A Forced Husband

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 181
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.