Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,776 members, 7,824,240 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 06:16 AM

Islam For Muslims: Side Talk Station - Islam for Muslims (154) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Islam For Muslims: Side Talk Station (250609 Views)

Janet Jackson Converts To Islam For $20 Million Wedding / ~* Deols is 2011 'Islam For Muslims' Section Poster Of The Year: Congrats~* / 'Islam For Muslims' Library (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (151) (152) (153) (154) (155) (156) (157) ... (232) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Islam For Muslims: Side Talk Station by usermane(m): 6:34am On Oct 06, 2018
Empiree:
Egyptian leader mocked hijab in 1958

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=978982428918793&id=276157035868006

It wasn't mockery and wasn't hijab in itself. It was more of undermining compulsory headcover for women as in Iran or Saudi Arabia.

Please, collect and digest information adequately from alternate sources before copy and pasting.
Re: Islam For Muslims: Side Talk Station by Empiree: 2:24am On Oct 07, 2018
Ghanaian President Will Soon Be Under The Radar Of World Powers grin grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJGydWeXln0

albaqir
Re: Islam For Muslims: Side Talk Station by Empiree: 2:26am On Oct 07, 2018
African American Association of Ghana Documentary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iW2798jtpDs
Re: Islam For Muslims: Side Talk Station by Empiree: 5:38am On Oct 08, 2018
usermane:

It wasn't mockery and wasn't hijab in itself. It was more of undermining compulsory headcover for women as in Iran or Saudi Arabia.

Please, collect and digest information adequately from alternate sources before copy and pasting.
Authority does have the right to enforce it if they have to. Quran orders for it so muslim authority has enforcement responsibility to certain extent but not without explaining its importance. But I don't support imposition on non muslim citizens. It has nothing to do with iran and Saudi.
Re: Islam For Muslims: Side Talk Station by usermane(m): 8:47am On Oct 08, 2018
Empiree:
Authority does have the right to enforce it if they have to. Quran orders for it so muslim authority has enforcement responsibility to certain extent but not without explaining its importance. But I don't support imposition on non muslim citizens. It has nothing to do with iran and Saudi.

I expected you to have corrected your original post. You posted a faulty headline, a slanderous one, but you don't care. Since, all you're after is nurturing the victimhood mentality among Muslims by blowing things out of proportion.

And for you to imply the authorities have a right to enforce headcovering on Muslim women, including those women that have resolved it is not essential in Islam, just show how deeply Islamist you are.

See? The first time I found you were of Sufi order; I wondered, why a Sufi from Yoruba land would harbor such militant views as Salafist Sunnites and Khomeinist Shiites. It was not until I realized your sympathies and links to Islamist legacy groups like CAIR, ISNA of the Muslim Brotherhood, that I found my answer.

Of course, you're free to serve those groups to further their Islamist agenda. But be honest in informing the Muslim masses. Don't exploit their ignorance and sympathies for Islam.
Re: Islam For Muslims: Side Talk Station by Empiree: 11:32am On Oct 08, 2018
grin grin
usermane:

I expected you to have corrected your original post. You posted a faulty headline, a slanderous one, but you don't care. Since, all you're after is nurturing the victimhood mentality among Muslims by blowing things out of proportion.

And for you to imply the authorities have a right to enforce headcovering on Muslim women, including those women that have resolved it is not essential in Islam, just show how deeply Islamist you are.

See? The first time I found you were of Sufi order; I wondered, why a Sufi from Yoruba land would harbor such militant views as Salafist Sunnites and Khomeinist Shiites. It was not until I realized your sympathies and links to Islamist legacy groups like CAIR, ISNA of the Muslim Brotherhood, that I found my answer.

Of course, you're free to serve those groups to further their Islamist agenda. But be honest in informing the Muslim masses. Don't exploit their ignorance and sympathies for Islam.
whatever rock your boat. I wasn't thinking about correcting my original post because I didn't think that was necessary as my later post would automatically corrects that. Otherwise, your post will be meaningless.

Anyways, Hijab is fard when making salat and this is not about "covering my beauty" as many think. This seems to be trending notion amongst women. And there is nothing to suggest that it's not fard outside of salat either. And who told you Sufis relaxe this practice?. And what's Sufi gotta do with this?.

Now if a woman doesn't wear it, is due to her understanding or idea of how she perceives it. So I don't recommend any individual forcing it on her. Hijab is not about just "covering beauty". It is more than that for their own good and those around them. If they pray salat without head cover they are just doing exercise. Truth must be told.

I am not here to curry flavor your opinion. There is linguistic and sharia definition of hijab. So we are talking about sharia definition here. It has to be beautifully explained to women before enforcement and only authority should do that if they want to. It is not essentially a Law but a Command. And forcement thing has to be gradual process. And talking about Sufis, some just have liberal approach to it that's all. Doesn't the Bible commands Hijab?.

Answer that please.
Re: Islam For Muslims: Side Talk Station by Empiree: 4:43pm On Oct 08, 2018

Re: Islam For Muslims: Side Talk Station by usermane(m): 2:04pm On Oct 09, 2018
Empiree:

Anyways, Hijab is fard when making salat and this is not about "covering my beauty" as many think. This seems to be trending notion amongst women. And there is nothing to suggest that it's not fard outside of salat either.

This is not the bone of contention. Is it OK for authorities to enforce hair covering on women? Is it mockery of hair covering to dismiss it's enforcement on women?

And what's Sufi gotta do with this?.

It got to do with your militant views on Islam, like authorities enforcing headcovering. Sufis are usually less militant in their approach to sharia than hardline Sunnites. But with you, I've learnt there are exception and discovering your ties with Muslim Brotherhood sums it.

Now if a woman doesn't wear it, is due to her understanding or idea of how she perceives it. So I don't recommend any individual forcing it on her. Hijab is not about just "covering beauty". It is more than that for their own good and those around them. If they pray salat without head cover they are just doing exercise. Truth must be told.

Changing your words? You originally said you support the government enforcing it. And you falsely accused an ex-president of ridiculing it. That is the problem.

I am not here to curry flavor your opinion. There is linguistic and sharia definition of hijab. So we are talking about sharia definition here. It has to be beautifully explained to women before enforcement and only authority should do that if they want to. It is not essentially a Law but a Command. And forcement thing has to be gradual process.

Beautifully explained? You might be living under a rock. There is no guarantee that such an effort will convince every Muslim woman on headcovering. Ask the Ayatollahs and Muftis.

Doesn't the Bible command hijab?

We're talking about freedom of every Muslim women to decide whether to wear or not wear it. Not whether it is divine command or not.
Re: Islam For Muslims: Side Talk Station by Empiree: 2:51pm On Oct 09, 2018
usermane:

I debunked the doctrine of hair, neck, and ear covering for women a very long time ago. I have no interest in dragging this subject any further.
Even in salat?. Even craziest feminist Muslims in America like Amina Wadud and the other one in canada who leads salat cover up around the clock despite feminity agenda.

It got to do with your militant views on Islam, like authorities enforcing headcovering. Sufis are less militant in their approach to sharia that hardline Sunnites. But with you, I learnt to be cautious with Sufis
Talking about enforcing hijab by authority, is just one of these basic public moral laws. Hijab should be encouraged. Not the way you are viewing. You are trying to relax it 100% as you already pointed out up there. Back in the days, the Sufis you mentioned didn't even allowed women to sit near them uncovered when they make Dua or offer salat because the believe is that angels don't patronize the region where women's hair is uncovered. This has long been Muslim tradition. But today, they reduced Hijab to "covering our beauty" which is not essentialy the case. So you can see importance of covering hair. This is not about militant view. Majority of the Sufi still command wearing hijab. So what's your point. And at no point did I tell you I'm a Sufi. This name calling are meant to promote sectarianism. I don't fall for that.

Changing your words? You said you support the government enforcing it. And you falsely accused an ex-president of ridiculing it. That is the problem.
like it or not, I like the way Muslim majority countries, Iran and Saudi enforced it. There should be outward signs and outward appearance of muslims in majority muslim countries. Muslim country shouldn't look like Las Vegas. Just like Vatican, if you go there, you see women and men in their religious regalia all the time. Why should you have problems with Muslim?. What I don't support is enforcement of face veil.

Beautifully explained? You might be living under a rock. There is no guarantee that such an effort will convince every Muslim woman on headcovering. Ask the Ayatollahs and Muftis.
efforts must be made. Period. You on the other hand are trying to relax it and make it sound like it is not important. The best way to make it easy for them is by making it traditional and cultural practice from childhood. Allah rewards them for covering. I have sisters too who don't cover but only cover at the time of salat. I also have sisters who cover all the time outside.

We're talking about freedom of every Muslim women to decide whether to wear or not wear it. Not whether it is divine command or not.
Sorry sir. Hijab is part of Islam. I don't understand what freedom you are talking about. So people can also say they have freedom not to pray obligatory salat too and still remain muslim?. Let me ask you this, why are you concern about hijab when in fact, there are non-Muslims trying to be like muslims?. We should encourage people not nonsense you are saying.

Did you watch American rapper who appeared on Dr. Phill show some 6 years ago all covered up?. She went from unclothedness to being covered. What Islamic legacy do you as a "muslim" teach folks like her?. Importance of hijab must be taught. And if after understanding it, but some women still decide "oh well, I still don't wanna wear hijab", then, for as long as they don't go around telling fellow women that they have freedom not to wear it, I'm cool with that. Head covering is fitra for women throughout history, muslim or not.
Re: Islam For Muslims: Side Talk Station by usermane(m): 3:47pm On Oct 09, 2018
Forced Islam is NOT Islam

The facebook url posted earlier by Empiree, under the title, "Egyptian President Mocks Hijab in 1958", pertains to Gamal Abdel Naseer relating account of his discourse with the Muslim Brotherhood(MB) on compulsory hair covering. Overlook Empyree's title, and get a translated video from YouTube on Naseer speaking on the matter with his audience.

The moment a Muslim is forced to abide by Islamic injunctions, it is no longer Islam. Hence, the saying, "Actions are judged by intention". True submission(Islam) exist only when the people willing comply out of conviction and choice.

I've debunked the commandment of hair covering for women long ago. Yet, even if such commandment exists, there is no justification for enforcing it by the authorities. Just as there is no justification for state enforcement of salat. Very simple analogy.

Sure, Naseer was no fine secular leader. But he was right in dismissing and undermining the MB's request for enforcement of hair covering Egypt as in Iran or Saudi Arabia today. And for this reason, the MB till date continue to slander him with false accusation of mocking hijab.
Re: Islam For Muslims: Side Talk Station by Empiree: 4:08pm On Oct 09, 2018
usermane:
Forced Islam is NOT Islam

The facebook url posted earlier by Empiree, under the title, "Egyptian President Mocks Hijab in 1958", pertains to Gamal Abdel Naseer relating account of his discourse with the Muslim Brotherhood(MB) on compulsory hair covering. Overlook Empyree's title, and get a translated video from YouTube on Naseer speaking on the matter with his audience.

The moment a Muslim is forced to abide by Islamic injunctions, it is no longer Islam. Hence, the saying, "Actions are judged by intention". True submission(Islam) exist only when the people willing comply out of conviction and choice.

I've debunked the commandment of hair covering for women long ago. Yet, even if such commandment exists, there is no justification for enforcing it by the authorities. Just as there is no justification for state enforcement of salat. Very simple analogy.

Sure, Naseer was no fine secular leader. But he was right in dismissing and undermining the MB's request for enforcement of hair covering Egypt as in Iran or Saudi Arabia today. And for this reason, the MB till date continue to slander him with false accusation of mocking hijab.
Okay, i think your issue is FORCE. I get it. Remember obligatory practices like Salat, Siyam, zakat, Haj are forced on us by Creator Himself. We have no choice when we embrace islam but claim we have freedom not to pray. Salat etc are injunctions. There are also other injunctions muslims abide by but depends on level of Iman. They simply have different levels of enforcement. Like enforcement of obligatory practices are higher compared to enforcement of hijab. I have to admit that i didnt fully watch the clip before i posted it. But i still disagree with the president bcus, even if he disagree with MS's proposal, it should never happen in such platform where it appears mockery of God's injunction. He didnt reject their proposal from scholarly perspective. Rather he was laughing. That was the reason i see no Ikhlas in his rejection of proposal. If he wanted to reject their proposal, it should have been done respectively. He didnt do that in the video. He and his audience were just laughing, Therefore, propaganda was justified in my opinion.
Re: Islam For Muslims: Side Talk Station by usermane(m): 4:24pm On Oct 09, 2018
Empiree:
Even in salat?. Even craziest feminist Muslims in America like Amina Wadud and the other one in canada who leads salat cover up around the clock despite feminity agenda.

The Canadian was Raheel Raza. On the day she led salat, she covered her hair. But this is out of formality not modesty or Islam. Just as a lot of male Imams cover their hair in salat. Raheel Raza does not cover around the clock. And she is Sunnite. There's probably case of female Imam in leading salat without covering her hair. We just haven't heard.

Also keep in mind there are Muslim women who do not see hair covering as compulsory, but they choose to wear 'hijab' for non-religious reasons like fashion, culture, family or societal pressure. Some even cover their hair because it saves them the cost and time of grooming it when going out in public.

Talking about enforcing hijab by authority, is just one of these basic public moral laws. Hijab should be encouraged. Not the way you are viewing. You are trying to relax it 100% as you already pointed out up there. Back in the days, the Sufis you mentioned didn't even allowed women to sit near them uncovered when they make Dua or offer salat because the believe is that angels don't patronize the region where women's hair is uncovered. This has long been Muslim tradition. But today, they reduced Hijab to "covering our beauty" which is not essentialy the case. So you can see importance of covering hair. This is not about militant view. Majority of the Sufi still command wearing hijab. So what's your point. And at no point did I tell you I'm a Sufi. This name calling are meant to promote sectarianism. I don't fall for that.

Re-read my post again. I did a lot of modifying, so a lot you've written here is not really necessary. Plus, I haven't stated that Sufi relaxed hijab, I stated Sufis generally do not believe in enforcing Islamic rules like hijab.

I like it or not, I like the way Muslim majority countries, Iran and Saudi enforced it. There should be outward signs and outward appearance of muslims in majority muslim countries. Muslim country shouldn't look like Las Vegas. Just like Vatican, if you go there, you see women and men in their religious regalia all the time. Why should you have problems with Muslim?. What I don't support is enforcement of face veil.

Which problem do I have with Muslims? Is it criticizing the Saudi and Iranian government for enforcing hijab?

efforts must be made. Period. You on the other hand are trying to relax it and make it sound like it is not important.

Yea, make the effort. But that's different from forcing them to wear it. It is not important, at least from my understanding and there are at least minorities, including scholars that share my position.

The best way to make it easy for them is by making it traditional and cultural practice from childhood. Allah rewards them for covering. I have sisters too who don't cover but only cover at the time of salat. I also have sisters who cover all the time outside.

Some of them will grow up to question it. And some of these will eventually renounce it after doing their homework.

Sorry sir. Hijab is part of Islam. I don't understand what freedom you are talking about. So people can also say they have freedom not to pray obligatory salat too and still remain muslim?. Let me ask you this, why are you concern about hijab when in fact, there are non-Muslims trying to be like muslims?. We should encourage people not nonsense you are saying.

Encourage people with false teachings? Not on my watch.

Did you watch American rapper who appeared on Dr. Phill show some 6 years ago all covered up?. She went from unclothedness to being covered. What Islamic legacy do you as a "muslim" teach folks like her?.

You keep equating unclothedness to exposing hair. This is a very poor premise. Our bone of contention is covering the hair, not bosom, thighs or backside.

Importance of hijab must be taught. And if after understanding it, but some women still decide "oh well, I still don't wanna wear hijab", then, for as long as they don't go around telling fellow women that they have freedom not to wear it, I'm cool with that. Head covering is fitra for women throughout history, muslim or not.

There is no importance in hair covering, if that's what you mean by hijab. Modest dressing that curbs lust is what Qur'an speaks of. There is nothing in hair that incites lust.
Re: Islam For Muslims: Side Talk Station by Empiree: 4:27pm On Oct 09, 2018
usermane:

The Canadian was Raheel Raza. On the day she led salat, she covered her hair. But this is out of formality not modesty or Islam. She doesn't cover all the time. Just as a lot of male Imams cover their hair in salat. Raheel Raza. There's probably case of female Imam in leading salat without covering her hair.
Whats your position on covering hair for women in salat. Obligatory or not?. This will give me clue where you stand.
Re: Islam For Muslims: Side Talk Station by usermane(m): 4:34pm On Oct 09, 2018
Empiree:
Whats your position on covering hair for women in salat. Obligatory or not?. This will give me clue where you stand.

If you don't know the answer to this, then you don't know me well. Is there directive to conceal the hair in salat in Quran?
Re: Islam For Muslims: Side Talk Station by usermane(m): 4:50pm On Oct 09, 2018
Empiree:
Okay, i think your issue is FORCE. I get it. Remember obligatory practices like Salat, Siyam, zakat, Haj are forced on us by Creator Himself. We have no choice when we embrace islam but claim we have freedom not to pray. Salat etc are injunctions. There are also other injunctions muslims abide by but depends on level of Iman. They simply have different levels of enforcement. Like enforcement of obligatory practices are higher compared to enforcement of hijab.

So, do you think it is justified for Mutawa of Saudi to chase people out of their shops and offices for salat?

I have to admit that i didnt fully watch the clip before i posted it. But i still disagree with the president bcus, even if he disagree with MS's proposal, it should never happen in such platform where it appears mockery of God's injunction. He didnt reject their proposal from scholarly perspective. Rather he was laughing. That was the reason i see no Ikhlas in his rejection of proposal. If he wanted to reject their proposal, it should have been done respectively. He didnt do that in the video. He and his audience were just laughing, Therefore, propaganda was justified in my opinion.

Too bad you still support the propaganda. He was laughing because he found it ridiculous that a man who cannot force his own daughter to wear headcover wants the entire population of Egyptian women be forced to wear head cover. Nothing mocking of hair covering in that. The problem is your mindset.
Re: Islam For Muslims: Side Talk Station by Empiree: 4:54pm On Oct 09, 2018
usermane:
Also keep in mind there are Muslim women who do not see hair covering as compulsory, but they choose to wear 'hijab' for non-religious reasons like fashion, culture, family or societal pressure. Some even cover their hair because it saves them the cost and time of grooming it when going out in public.
all these are diff stuff. We talking about Islamic injunction here. One thing is to acknowledge this injunition, another thing is to acknowledge it but dont have the capacity to do it yet. This i dont have have problem with. But to say "i dont see it as obligatory or command from God" is opinion and such people need knowledge. Opinion is irrelevant here bcus they can as well say obligatory salat is not neccessary too.

Re-read my post again. I did a lot of modifying, so a lot you've written here is not really necessary. Plus, I haven't stated that Sufi relaxed hijab, I stated Sufis generally do not believe in enforcing Islamic rules like hijab.
See, if you take little time and go back to old men in Yoruba history, they enforce it and they were sufis but the enforcement was not to the level of authority. Like for instance, they would explain the way i just did like covering to protect their beauty and covering in the case of prayers. If they saw women walked down the street, they said "cover your head". Some would say "where is your head cover". See, it is enforcement but not authoritative. This is enforcement i was talking about not enforcement of wielding cane around or jail them. This enforcement i just described falls under commanding good and forbidding evil. This is what i taught MS tried to do

Which problem do I have with Muslims? Is it criticizing the Saudi and Iranian government for enforcing hijab?
You have problem with enforcement code in those countries?

There is no importance in hair covering, if that's what you mean by hijab. Modest dressing that curbs lust is what Qur'an speaks of. There is no in hair that incites lust.
I have told you that they reduced hijab to "covering my beauty", is not essentially the case. It has spiritual meaning which was the real case when i was growing up. Hair is not about lust. It is more than that. I think you should research this. Some understand what i am talking about. Why do you think christians, when they have problems and go to their pastors with head covered?.
Re: Islam For Muslims: Side Talk Station by Empiree: 5:04pm On Oct 09, 2018
usermane:

So, do you think it is justified for Mutawa of Saudi to chase people out of their shops and offices for salat?
Yes, i don't care what you think. My grandfather did the same when i was young. Not only to his family but entire hood. He knocked on doors early in the morning for fajr. I still remember like yesterday. And he taught many islam including those rich people you see on tv today, like Chief Bayo Kuku and many dignitaries. If he didnt do this to us, we would be something else today.Guess what now?. He died in 2015 at 105 and every single person he taught appreciates his effort. So dont blame Mutawa. Dont look at this from Western perspective. You will be so wrong. This is major tenet not hijab, and quran says "enter into the islam wholeheartedly" Q2:208

Too bad you still support the propaganda. He was laughing because he found it ridiculous that a man who cannot force his own daughter to wear headcover wants the entire population of Egyptian women be forced to wear head cover. Nothing mocking of hair covering in that. The problem is your mindset.
If you said so
Re: Islam For Muslims: Side Talk Station by usermane(m): 5:08pm On Oct 09, 2018
Empiree:
I have told you that they reduced hijab to "covering my beauty", is not essentially the case. It has spiritual meaning which was the real case when i was growing up. Hair is not about lust. It is more than that. I think you should research this. Some understand what i am talking about. Why do you think christians, when they have problems and go to their pastors with head covered?.

You have no proof, unfortunately. The tone of Qur'an 24:31 actually deals with decency. Decency is spiritual and is attainable even without covering the hair.
Re: Islam For Muslims: Side Talk Station by Empiree: 5:12pm On Oct 09, 2018
usermane:

If you don't know the answer to this, then you don't know me well. Is there directive to conceal the hair in salat in Quran?
Thats why i won't argue with you on this. One thing is clear, your view and your likes were recent not classical one. Women covered throughout islamic history until we have this idea of feminism and freedom which are hypocritical in nature. Examples,

Women say "what men can do women can do better"

Now, when it comes to job and pay, the statement above works fine for them. But when it comes to paying bills, they say 'you are men, you should pay it'.

When it comes to dating, men pay everything. When it comes to entering car, "women first". When it comes to proposing marriage, men kneel. If you dont, they say you are very disrespectful. But when it comes to religion, "we have freedom". All these nonsense make me sick to my stomach
Re: Islam For Muslims: Side Talk Station by Empiree: 5:27pm On Oct 09, 2018
usermane:

You have no proof, unfortunately. The tone of Qur'an 24:31 actually deals with decency. Decency is spiritual and is attainable even without covering the hair.
Good. I am glad you mentioned "spiritual" which means classical meaning of the text was correct. Quran has exoteric and esoteric meanings. Those scholars understood this.

Apart from that, a simple "we hear and we obey" is enough for women to cover their hair. And there is a reason God put women in the back in salat. Maybe you will argue this too?. All these things combined are meant to avoid trouble.
Re: Islam For Muslims: Side Talk Station by AlBaqir(m): 7:03pm On Oct 09, 2018
Empiree:
Ghanaian President Will Soon Be Under The Radar Of World Powers grin grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJGydWeXln0

albaqir

Hes already on their radars. He has in the past "spat" in the face of few world leaders and told them they are the problems of Africa. Hes a real pan Africanist. I love his style and bold heart. We need more of him.

1 Like

Re: Islam For Muslims: Side Talk Station by BeansAndBread(m): 10:47pm On Oct 09, 2018
usermane:

Sufis are usually less militant in their approach to sharia than hardline Sunnites

That's not true, Sheikh Uthman Dan Fodio was partially Sufi of Qadriyyah Tariqah

Imam Shamil of Degastan that fought against the Russians was Sufi.

AbdulKadeer Al Jazaari that fought the French and Druze was Sufi.

Even during the US invasion of Iraaq, there was a Sufi militant group that represented the Naqshbandi Tariqah and they were known to have cooperated with ISIS sometimes.

So Sufis fight, so don't be surprised

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Islam For Muslims: Side Talk Station by Empiree: 10:58pm On Oct 09, 2018
BeansAndBread:

That's not true, Sheikh Uthman Dan Fodio was partially Sufi of Qadriyyah Tariqah

Even during the US invasion of Iraaq, there was a Sufi militant group that represented the Naqshbandi Tariqah and they were known to have cooperated with ISIS sometimes.

You dey mind him. He thinks Sufis are dummies only clutching tesuba around.
Re: Islam For Muslims: Side Talk Station by usermane(m): 2:52am On Oct 10, 2018
Empiree:
Thats why i won't argue with you on this. One thing is clear, your view and your likes were recent not classical one. Women covered throughout islamic history until we have this idea of feminism and freedom

You have done very little to investigate hair covering aside what the scholars repeat. Also, you continue to undermine Quran each time you insist in teachings absent in it.

According to your own Hadith Umm Salma was asked what clothes a woman required for salat. There was no mention of hair covering in her response.
See Muwatta Malik: Book of Prayer in Congregation: Hadith #38

If you truly want to uncover the spurious origins of hair covering in traditional Islam, go find out from the Imams of fiqh if hair constitute awra of slave woman.

which are hypocritical in nature. Examples,

Women say "what men can do women can do better"

Now, when it comes to job and pay, the statement above works fine for them. But when it comes to paying bills, they say 'you are men, you should pay it'.

When it comes to dating, men pay everything. When it comes to entering car, "women first". When it comes to proposing marriage, men kneel. If you dont, they say you are very disrespectful. But when it comes to religion, "we have freedom". All these nonsense make me sick to my stomach

Questioning hair covering did not originate with feminism.

I understand why you see exposing women hair a kind of taboo even in 2018. When I was a Sunnite, my mindset was the same.
Re: Islam For Muslims: Side Talk Station by usermane(m): 3:25am On Oct 10, 2018
Empiree:
Good. I am glad you mentioned "spiritual" which means classical meaning of the text was correct. Quran has exoteric and esoteric meanings. Those scholars understood this.

Not all the verses have multi-meanings. Especially, not the verses with instructions like modest dressing. The problem is your mindset, you think like the innovators of hair covering.

There is nothing spiritual in covering the hair. But a person who have been conditioned to believe so, will believe so.

Same goes with traditions like circumcision(male & females) and keeping lengthy beards. All these were incorporated in Islam due to cultural taboos or influences from even other Abrahamic or even pagan religions.

Apart from that, a simple "we hear and we obey" is enough for women to cover their hair. And there is a reason God put women in the back in salat. Maybe you will argue this too?. All these things combined are meant to avoid trouble.

Obey what? Do you think every Muslim woman that does not wear haircovering is ignorant, lazy or just rebellious? You'll be surprised to find women even among Sunnites who after researching texts and opinions have resolved haircovering is not essential. I'm speaking of practicing Muslim women. They can independently wipe the ground with you over the validity of hair covering.

PS: God put women back in salat? May be the hadith or Fiqh put them behind. But nowhere does God/Qur'an put women in the back.
Re: Islam For Muslims: Side Talk Station by Empiree: 4:34am On Oct 10, 2018
usermane:

Not all the verses have multi-meanings. Especially, not the verses with instructions like modest dressing. The problem is your mindset, you think like the innovators of hair covering.

There is nothing spiritual in covering the hair. But a person who have been conditioned to believe so, will believe so.

Same goes with traditions like circumcision(male & females) and keeping lengthy beards. All these were incorporated in Islam due to cultural taboos or influences from even other Abrahamic or even pagan religions.

Obey what? Do you think every Muslim woman that does not wear haircovering is ignorant, lazy or just rebellious? You'll be surprised to find women even among Sunnites who after researching texts and opinions have resolved haircovering is not essential. I'm speaking of practicing Muslim women. They can independently wipe the ground with you over the validity of hair covering.
Humm, I think you may have misunderstood. When i said hair, i was actually referring to covering of head. When you cover your head, hair is covered by default. Let's get this clear. It's like being told that that someone covered their eyes, but asking did they cover their corneas as well... If the head is not visible, then how can the hair be visible...? So i am taking about head covering. It was simply easy for me to say hair.

Now to Umm Salama, this is what i found:

Hadith 1:

It was narrated that Umm Salamah said: When the words ‘draw their cloaks (veils) all over their bodies’ were revealed, the women of the Ansaar went out as if there were crows on their heads because of the way they covered themselves.

(Narrated by Abu Dawood, 4101; classed as saheeh by Shaykh al-Albaani in Saheeh Abu Dawood.)

Hadith 2:

It was narrated that Aa’ishah said: The riders used to pass by us when we were with the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) in ihraam. When they came near us we would lower our jilbabs from our heads over our faces, and when they had passed by we would uncover our faces. (Narrated by Abu Dawood, 1562.)

Hadith 3:

When Allah revealed the words (interpretation of the meaning) –
“…and to draw their veils all over Juyoobihinna (i.e. their bodies, faces, necks and bosoms)…” [al-Noor24:31] – they tore the edges of their aprons and covered their heads with them.

(narrated by Abu Dawood, 4102, from the hadeeth of Ibn Wahb).

PS: God put women back in salat? May be the hadith or Fiqh put them behind. But nowhere does God/Qur'an put women in the back.
The same natural law that caused businesses, schools, and public restrooms to have Male and Female restrooms apart, by this same logical reason, Allah put women behind on the lip of the prophet(saw). I need not to quote text. Common sense is enough. The prophet even went to say, women should stay a little longer in sujud because some men may not have enough gown that cover their behind. But if women are in front and men behind, i am sure many men would be lust.
Re: Islam For Muslims: Side Talk Station by usermane(m): 5:57am On Oct 10, 2018
Empiree:
Yes, i don't care what you think. My grandfather did the same when i was young. Not only to his family but entire hood. He knocked on doors early in the morning for fajr. I still remember like yesterday. And he taught many islam including those rich people you see on tv today, like Chief Bayo Kuku and many dignitaries. If he didnt do this to us, we would be something else today.Guess what now?. He died in 2015 at 105 and every single person he taught appreciates his effort. So dont blame Mutawa. Dont look at this from Western perspective. You will be so wrong. This is major tenet not hijab, and quran says "enter into the islam wholeheartedly" Q2:208

Hmm... So you really think what the Mutawwa do is like what your grandpa did? I'm not sure how many Muslims agree with you on this. I think even people like tbobo1234 or Elbaqir will disagree. And if I'm wrong, then ...... I don't know.

So, if a Saudi Muslim believes in only 3 salat, Fajr, Dhuhr, Isha'i, should he be pestered by Mutawwa for Asr salat? What if a Muslim prefers to postpone his salat instead of going for it at the adhaan, you still think he should be bugged by Mutawwa?

As for me, I refuse to narrow the scope of application for 'No compulsion in religion', I believe no doctrine is enforceable on Muslim just as Islam is not enforceable on non-Muslims.

In those countries that 'Islamic rules'(Iran & Saudi Arabia) are enforced, closet atheism or apostasy is still on the rise. Unfortunately, I have no citation for reference at my disposal at the moment.
Re: Islam For Muslims: Side Talk Station by usermane(m): 7:29am On Oct 10, 2018
Empiree:
Humm, I think you may have misunderstood. When i said hair, i was actually referring to covering of head. When you cover your head, hair is covered by default. Let's get this clear. It's like being told that that someone covered their eyes, but asking did they cover their corneas as well... If the head is not visible, then how can the hair be visible...? So i am taking about head covering. It was simply easy for me to say hair.

Really? Hope you understand that face is part of head? This is why some Muslims regard niqab as fard.

Now to Umm Salama, this is what i found:

Hadith 1:

It was narrated that Umm Salamah said: When the words ‘draw their cloaks (veils) all over their bodies’ were revealed, the women of the Ansaar went out as if there were crows on their heads because of the way they covered themselves.

(Narrated by Abu Dawood, 4101; classed as saheeh by Shaykh al-Albaani in Saheeh Abu Dawood.)

Hadith 2:

It was narrated that Aa’ishah said: The riders used to pass by us when we were with the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) in ihraam. When they came near us we would lower our jilbabs from our heads over our faces, and when they had passed by we would uncover our faces. (Narrated by Abu Dawood, 1562.)

Hadith 3:

When Allah revealed the words (interpretation of the meaning) –
“…and to draw their veils all over Juyoobihinna (i.e. their bodies, faces, necks and bosoms)…” [al-Noor24:31] – they tore the edges of their aprons and covered their heads with them.

(narrated by Abu Dawood, 4102, from the hadeeth of Ibn Wahb).

None of these Hadith covers Umm Salma on women clothing for salat.

The same natural law that caused businesses, schools, and public restrooms to have Male and Female restrooms apart, by this same logical reason, Allah put women behind on the lip of the prophet(saw). I need not to quote text. Common sense is enough. The prophet even went to say, women should stay a little longer in sujud because some men may not have enough gown that cover their behind. But if women are in front and men behind, i am sure many men would be lust.

Restrooms are places women may UnCloth, it is only reasonable to separate genders.

As for what God imply through the lips of the Prophet, you can find them in a Book with 114 chapters. There is evidence even within Hadith that instructions from Hadith were not divinely inspired. But that's for another day.

To minmize getting distracted in salat by a woman standing in front of you, lower your gaze. How about that? Shut your eyes while you pray or fix your eyes on a spot on the floor.

There seem to be Hadith where the Prophet permitted a woman to lead a mixed congregation, if my memory serves me right. But I'm not sure of the source.
Re: Islam For Muslims: Side Talk Station by usermane(m): 9:11am On Oct 10, 2018
BeansAndBread:

Thanks. I guess I overstated. I have met folks that turned to Sufism, they said it is more tolerant version that respect individual choice.
I've looked into it proper now, and couple with what Empyree has said, I admit my impression was wrong.

1 Like

Re: Islam For Muslims: Side Talk Station by Empiree: 11:46am On Oct 10, 2018
usermane:

Hmm... So you really think what the Mutawwa do is like what your grandpa did? I'm not sure how many Muslims agree with you on this. I think even people like tbobo1234 or Elbaqir will disagree. And if I'm wrong, then ...... I don't know.

So, if a Saudi Muslim believes in only 3 salat, Fajr, Dhuhr, Isha'i, should he be pestered by Mutawwa for Asr salat? What if a Muslim prefers to postpone his salat instead of going for it at the adhaan, you still think he should be bugged by Mutawwa?

As for me, I refuse to narrow the scope of application for 'No compulsion in religion', I believe no doctrine is enforceable on Muslim just as Islam is not enforceable on non-Muslims.

In those countries that 'Islamic rules'(Iran & Saudi Arabia) are enforced, closet atheism or apostasy is still on the rise. Unfortunately, I have no citation for reference at my disposal at the moment.
This is very shameful of you. First, it is their country. They have the right to enact laws. Second, no compulsion in religion you quoted doesn't apply to Muslims because Quran in another verse says, enter into Islam wholeheartedly, which means accepting the hakam and the fard etc

Now with regards to salat,

“Guard strictly your (habit of) prayers… If you fear, pray on foot, or riding. ” (Quran 2:238-9)

Indeed, prayer has been decreed upon the believers a decree of specified times. Nisai 103

And this applies to you and your likes

“But after them there followed a posterity who missed Prayers and followed after lusts soon, then, will they face destruction, except those who repent and believe, and work righteousness.” (Quran, 19)

There is no room for any muslim to come up with different number or salat. This is innovation that you are promoting
Re: Islam For Muslims: Side Talk Station by Empiree: 11:58am On Oct 10, 2018
usermane:

Restrooms are places women may UnCloth, it is only reasonable to separate genders.

As for what God imply through the lips of the Prophet, you can find them in a Book with 114 chapters. There is evidence even within Hadith that instructions from Hadith were not divinely inspired. But that's for another day.

To minmize getting distracted in salat by a woman standing in front of you, lower your gaze. How about that? Shut your eyes while you pray or fix your eyes on a spot on the floor.

There seem to be Hadith where the Prophet permitted a woman to lead a mixed congregation, if my memory serves me right. But I'm not sure of the source.
I really shake my head for you man. Quote the hadith please. That's interesting allegation
Re: Islam For Muslims: Side Talk Station by usermane(m): 12:10pm On Oct 10, 2018
Empiree: I really shake my head for you man. Quote the hadith please. That's interesting allegation

I don't have the Hadith at my disposal at the moment. But do you disagree that a woman can be Imam for men in salat?

There is no room for any muslim to come up with different number or salat. This is
innovation that you are promoting

That's not the point. The point is every Muslim's belief or interpretation should be respected. Don't force your own interpretation on others.

(1) (2) (3) ... (151) (152) (153) (154) (155) (156) (157) ... (232) (Reply)

Cute and Romantic Photos Of Muslim Couples

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 138
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.