Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,822 members, 7,810,159 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:05 PM

My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training - Fashion (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training (84596 Views)

Check Out Your Nigeria Brides On My African Bride Episode -1 / Photo: Check Out This Funny Head Gear(gele) A Woman Wore To An Occasion / This Is Me In My African Print Dress. I'd Like To Read Your Comments. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by larosa(f): 3:10pm On Jan 19, 2015
@UmmTwins2 thanks dear. I actually started little-by-little and am still polishing my skillz daily. Feel free to post your dresses let see if i can guide you along. Am also currently working on releasing some ebooks which would help those that are far from Lagos.

@goforwardagu thanks for your support you are such a lovely lady it was nice meeting you in person. You are GIFTED!!! i say that with every sense of sincerity.
Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by larosa(f): 3:13pm On Jan 19, 2015
More pix...........

This is a plus-size, square neck empire waist bright yellow lace gown. The sleeve has a tie back strap held in place with red stones. One side of the bust is covered with applique cut-outs with red stones in the centre of each.

Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by larosa(f): 3:15pm On Jan 19, 2015
This dress is Ankara print the upper part is covered with transparent gold lace with a very wide band.

Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by larosa(f): 3:22pm On Jan 19, 2015
larosa:
Thanks for all the calls, comments and good wishes you ladies really made my day yesterday.

Remember there will never be a convenient time to learn you just have to push yourself.

BB pin 7F217090.

whatsapp 08033304712

Registeration in progress location Ajah Lagos.

Pictures of students work coming soon.
Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by UmmTwins2: 4:36pm On Jan 21, 2015
10x vry much Larosa. I'll try post them when they'r finished, I want to fix coverd buttons on 2 of them. I want to make the navy blue floor length chiffon gown; wt d ankara band bt I've got sm questns, pls.
1. Is the down part of d gown in pieces(i.e 6, 8pcs etc) or flared? Cos sadly I dn't know hw to fold/cut flared skirt so I've had to make do wt pieces, pleats or gathers in my dresses n e dey pain me gannn lol
2. Does the band go round d waist(i.e is it at d back too)?
3. How do I fold n cut the sleeve? 4. Are d peep holes trimmed wt bias n then tied or is there button holding it? Hoping u'll understand my questns.
I'm sorry for d plenty plenty questns o Principal lol I rily wish to get it cos I love d gown. I rily appreciate u sharing ur talent wt us on here. 10x ma'am
Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by larosa(f): 9:28am On Jan 22, 2015
UmmTwins2:
10x vry much Larosa. I'll try post them when they'r finished, I want to fix coverd buttons on 2 of them. I want to make the navy blue floor length chiffon gown; wt d ankara band bt I've got sm questns, pls.
1. Is the down part of d gown in pieces(i.e 6, 8pcs etc) or flared? Cos sadly I dn't know hw to fold/cut flared skirt so I've had to make do wt pieces, pleats or gathers in my dresses n e dey pain me gannn lol
2. Does the band go round d waist(i.e is it at d back too)?
3. How do I fold n cut the sleeve? 4. Are d peep holes trimmed wt bias n then tied or is there button holding it? Hoping u'll understand my questns.
I'm sorry for d plenty plenty questns o Principal lol I rily wish to get it cos I love d gown. I rily appreciate u sharing ur talent wt us on here. 10x ma'am

Your questions are welcome I can tell are quite serious.

1. yes d lower part is six pieces
2. the band goes round d waist to d back
3. if you can hold on till weekend I will do a short tutorial on sleeve cutting
4. the peep holes are turned with d lining. the front one has button d back has rope.

Me principal amen oh. if u would be VP.

1 Like

Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by UmmTwins2: 12:44pm On Jan 22, 2015
'course I'll wait, thank u so much. I'd rily appreciate a tutorial on flared skirt whenever u can make out time; if u don't mind ma'am lol 10x vry much.
Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by mamatochi: 8:47pm On Jan 23, 2015
Good day larosa, cant wait for the sleeve tutorial. keeping my fingers crossed. thanks
Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by larosa(f): 1:31pm On Jan 24, 2015
Hello friends, trust your weekend is going well.

So let's quickly start the sleeve tutorial.

Measurements needed
1 bicep
2. cap height (armhole divided by 3 then minus 1/2 inch)
3. sleeve length

I will upload drawings as we go along but pls be patient.
Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by UmmTwins2: 2:09pm On Jan 24, 2015
Welcome ma'am cheesy hp u'r having a gud wkend too? We'r seriously following.....
Pls what's Cap height?
Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by larosa(f): 2:30pm On Jan 24, 2015
UmmTwins2:
Welcome ma'am cheesy hp u'r having a gud wkend too? We'r seriously following.....
Pls what's Cap height?

When you measure a person's armhole place the tape a little below the armpit. Take the tape round the front of the armhole to the back and return to below the armpit area. The measurement you get is the Armhole. Please do not measure directly inside the armpit or the armhole would be too tight.

For my sample the armhole is 18 inches . Divide 18 by 3 = 6 inches. Minus 1/2 inch = 5 1/2 inches that is the cap height.

Look at the drawing below:

Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by larosa(f): 2:36pm On Jan 24, 2015
The measurements i am using for my sample are:

1. Armhole 18"

As i explained above measure the armhole from front to back. To get cap height divide 18 by 3 = 6. Minus 1/2 = 5 1/2.

Measure the front armhole only and note it mine is 10"

Also note the back armhole only my sample is 8"

2. Bicep 13" Measure around the fullest part of the upper arm muscle but close to the armpit (see drawing above)

3. Sleeve length 23" (hand should be slightly bent)
Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by larosa(f): 2:51pm On Jan 24, 2015
Get a large sheet of paper and a sharp pencil.

1. Draw a Horizontal line equal to bicep plus 4" ( 18 + 4) = 22" label this line A-B.

2. Mark halfway across line A B (9 inches) draw a vertical line to cross line A -B. this line should be the full sleeve length. label it C-D.
Your drawing should look like a cross.

3. the point where the two lines meet label it E.

4. point c to e should be equal to cap height .

5. Measure from point c a line equal to the back armhole ( mine is 8 ) to touch line A-B, mark it F.

6. Measure from point c a line equal to the front armhole (mine is 10) to touch line A-B, mark it G.

You should have a triangle by now.

Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by larosa(f): 2:54pm On Jan 24, 2015
I would like to point out that you should not be frightened or alarmed with the drafting its actually very convenient once you get used to it.

The advantage is that you can easily adjust it to use for many people without always having to draw afresh everytime.
Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by larosa(f): 3:03pm On Jan 24, 2015
7. Divide line C F in two (mine would be 4") mark the point.

8. Divide line C G in two ( mine is 5") mark the point.

9. From the midway point on CF Move up and out 1/2"

10. From the midway point on CG move down and inwards 1/2"

11. Mark point on each line . Draw a new line at the back through the new point and repeat for the front. Please see the drawings. Erase the old lines. Our sleeve is taking shape by now.

1 Like

Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by larosa(f): 3:08pm On Jan 24, 2015
BRB
Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by bimbam(f): 5:08pm On Jan 24, 2015
Good job! Closely following...

1 Like

Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by larosa(f): 5:09pm On Jan 24, 2015
Next, we are going to form the curve for the cap area of the sleeve (also called the crown of the sleeve).

Starting from point F, draw a gentle curve inwards of line CF to join the midway point, then curve outwards to join point C. This makes our back armhole.

Repeat the process for the front armhole (see the broken lines on the below drawings). You could use French curves if you have it.

The second drawing shows the curve of the cap after the old lines have been erased.

Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by larosa(f): 5:18pm On Jan 24, 2015
Now for the lower part of the sleeve.

1. Take your wrist measurement, divide by 2. My sample is 9 " so half would be 4.5"

2. Go to point D ( the end of our full sleeve length). Measure half of your wrist on each side of point D and mark it.

3. Draw a line from point F to join the wrist line ( this is the back of the sleeve)

4. Draw another line from point G to join the wrist line (this the front of the sleeve).

Your sleeve is finished ! Just add seam allowance all around and cut.

Note that this pattern is basic and straight, if you want a puff sleeve for example you would need to expand the cap area to form gathers.

Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by larosa(f): 5:21pm On Jan 24, 2015
@Ummtwins you asked how to go about cutting the sleeve for the below dress, so next i will show you how to cut a small sleeve if you are in a hurry and don't want to draw a pattern.

Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by larosa(f): 5:52pm On Jan 24, 2015
QUICK OPTION FOR SLEEVE CUTTING:

1. we need just two measurements , cap height and sleeve width.

2. How to get sleeve width: measurement should be taken with the arm flat against the side of the body. Place your tape against the armpit "fold" (see drawing below) and measure from front to back . Am using 8" for my sample.

3. Fold your fabric in half.

4. Measuring away from the folded edge of the fabric mark half the sleeve width.

5. Measuring up from the sleeve width, measure and mark the cap height.

6. Draw a curve to join the cap with the sleeve width line.

Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by larosa(f): 5:58pm On Jan 24, 2015
Add seam allowance, add an extra 1/2 ' to the sleeve width to allow for movement.

Cut out the sleeve.

You should have a semi-circle.

However if you sew the sleeve as it is, the wearer would not be able to move her arm as the front would be tight. We need to "scoop out " the front a bit.

On the front part of the sleeve, draw a gentle curve coming inwards to join the sleeve width line.

Cut your lining, join it and attach to the dress.

That's all.

Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by bimbam(f): 6:11pm On Jan 24, 2015
Well done @larosa!
Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by larosa(f): 6:27pm On Jan 24, 2015
bimbam:

Well done @larosa!

thanks dear am just taking a break to have my lunch. Currently working on a dress am quite excited about and I want to wear to churh tomorrow. pix will be up today or after church tomorrow.
Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by noncy21: 6:36pm On Jan 24, 2015
@Larosa...tnx dear for d sleeve tutorial. U ar a darling. Hop to learn more projects from u on dis thread. I love d blue gown. Pls how wi I go abt it. Am a novice in sewing. Just trying out some diy projects on NL.
Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by noncy21: 6:58pm On Jan 24, 2015
larosa:
YES, we do Lycra too. I know most people are weary of sewing Lycra but i think its such a sweet fabric. no need for lining and usually wash and wear. If you cant get ball point needles, your best bet is to run a stick of candle along everywhere on the fabric your needle would go. It works like a charm for me
pls ma I av Lycra material but am afraid of cutting due to difficulty in sewing it. Pls I don't understand what u mean by runing a stick of candle on it?
Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by larosa(f): 10:06pm On Jan 24, 2015
noncy21:
@Larosa...tnx dear for d sleeve tutorial. U ar a darling. Hop to learn more projects from u on dis thread. I love d blue gown. Pls how wi I go abt it. Am a novice in sewing. Just trying out some diy projects on NL.

Thanks for the comment.

About the Lycra i would demonstrate what i mean with pictures tomorrow.
Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by UmmTwins2: 10:57pm On Jan 24, 2015
Thank u Larosa, may God bless ur selfless heart n bless the work of ur hands. Ameen. Me sef dey wait the candle trick o, I've got 2 lycra fabric I'm afraid to cut cos of machine/sewing palava
Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by diamondlov: 11:49pm On Jan 24, 2015
nice work larosa, God bless the works of ur hands.pls can u teach us ow to make this blue gown.its drop dead gorgeous n wudnt mind making one. thanks n ffg closely

1 Like

Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by larosa(f): 1:39pm On Jan 25, 2015
Hello Ladies. Thanks for all your wonderful prayers and calls may the Good Lord bless us all.

I will post details of how to stitch Lycra later today, i need to attend to some things.

So...... i have this black and white sheath dress i used to like so much but have not worn in a while because i was bored with it. I decided it needed "revival" grin

1. i cut off the sleeves.

2. lowered the back neckline.

Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by larosa(f): 1:47pm On Jan 25, 2015
Total cost of revival project:

1. 1 yard of pepper red chiffon fabric N450
Depending on how full you want the sleeve.

2. 1 pepper red open and close zipper N50
3. pepper red thread N40
4. red sequins and black beads N200

Total N740.

It was actually fun and quite simple.

I beaded three rows of red sequins and black beads around the neckline.

Folded the chiffon in half, cut it into 2 squares and simply inserted elastic at the lower arm area ( you could do up to the wrist if you want)

Joined it (buba & iro style) into the dress from shoulder down to the waist front and back.

In all the sewing took me about 15minutes but the beading almost half a day (phew).

But i was happy with the result.

Feel free to try it out... wink

Re: My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training by larosa(f): 1:49pm On Jan 25, 2015
You may have a dress you have not worn in a while but still like the fabric. Just add a dash of color at little cost and i bet you most people would think its a new dress.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Mexican Woman Looks Like Real Life Vampire After 49 Body Modifications (Graphic / Some Men Are No Longer Behaving And Dressing Like Men (Photos) / Female Guests Bare Cleavage At Lagos Wedding (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.