Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,727 members, 7,824,054 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 09:29 PM

NMA Strike Ends On Monday, Says Health Minister - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / NMA Strike Ends On Monday, Says Health Minister (12982 Views)

Why Nigeria Can't Win Lassa Fever Battle As Ebola - Health Minister / Good News!! Four More Ebola Patients Discharged – Health Minister / First Nigerian Ebola Survivor Not Treated With "Nano Silver" - Health Minister (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NMA Strike Ends On Monday, Says Health Minister by Quelme: 10:53am On Jul 05, 2014
lomaxx:

"Let's see whose certificate will be better recognized"

"Let's see who will get employed before the other"

You think you will carry rubbish grammar to go to the western world and they will clap for you ? After committing these unforgivable errors in simple English language, don't you think the "western people" will question your more employable nursing skill ?

In case you were not aware, over 25% of physicians practicing in the US are IMGs. And the number is expected to increase over the years owing to an expected physician shortage. Go to the website of the American Medical Association to see things for yourself. Nigerian doctors are taking advantage of the opportunity in their droves. I know a good number that dumped this thing you are doing in this country to where they fit better. Go to Australia, South Africa, Cuba, China, Germany - you'll find Nigerian doctors all over.

You should rather be worried. Instead you're here having false hope. When we all leave who will treat your uncles, aunties, parents, siblings, and villagers?? Abi when you carry your employable nursing degree to the west, you will carry your village also?

Rubbish!!!

mr physician, you nor well o...
Re: NMA Strike Ends On Monday, Says Health Minister by Lagusta(m): 10:54am On Jul 05, 2014
YourHealthlabs:

Stop threatening the guy with 'if we leave'.
There are Nigerian docs in U.S yes..but most were trained there. The chances of any foreign doc passing USMLE and practicing there is just 3%, for American-trained docs it's 97%.

He is right to an extent, there are more demand for Nurses,MLS and physios than there is for foreign-trained physicians in US and Canada. Even Americans trained in other countries(except canada) find it difficult to practice in the U.S.

Go check their immigration/pr policy and see the professions they prirotize. M.B.B.S is NOT an international standard.

Always present facts and guide people right.
Thank you.
yes, you are right, there is a slim chance of passing usmle, but NIGERIAN DOCS DO PASS USMLE!!! And yes, they employ foreign nurses, but you first start off as an aide/orderly unless u already have a B.Sc, where you have to write their board exams before getting a license.... I have a sister in law who works over there as a nurse.....
Re: NMA Strike Ends On Monday, Says Health Minister by Quelme: 10:56am On Jul 05, 2014
Tytto: Will i take my village along? That 25% you are talking about did they carry their own villages along too?. That your 25% also, how long did it take them to be tru for employment there or where they gatemen for some time? but i can realistically tell you that as at today, if a nurse get there today based on the syllabus here by next week they would start working minus carrying a Nigeria over celebrated certificate that would get you outside to be a gateman or at least 3-4 years before you could be fit to practise. GENTLEMAN, we are not fighting all we are saying is that we should be focused on our patients than becoming a tyrants to other health team members.
please don't mind those overrated physicians.
Re: NMA Strike Ends On Monday, Says Health Minister by Hopez456(m): 11:02am On Jul 05, 2014
I am one if those eagerly awaiting the call off of this strike, I am seriously sick. I am scared of self medication.
Re: NMA Strike Ends On Monday, Says Health Minister by Nobody: 11:08am On Jul 05, 2014
lomaxx:

Let me educate you on the mechanics of practicing medicine in the US. As a doctor, you don't pounce on any healthcare system in any country of the world with your degree. You have to write licensing exams. Don't you nurses write licensing exams before you practice over there? Abi you just bounce in there with your papers and they hand the job to you?

So all I need to do is write the steps, pass with good scores, get some clinical experience via observerships or externships and write a very strong personal statement about my choice of specialty - with God on my side I'm in.

Please desist from thinking that I have to be a cleaner or a gateman for 3 years before I match. That is a very erroneous and flawed thinking. I wonder where you got that from. It is not practicable at all. The hospital that employs you will most likely sponsor your visa. So you mean after employing me as a resident, I'll go there and start washing Obama's boxers?

My colleague Abeg yearn me better on that aspect of sponsoring visa and some other aspects I need to know...76237712 na my pin
Re: NMA Strike Ends On Monday, Says Health Minister by Lagusta(m): 11:11am On Jul 05, 2014
SAPEDRO: i still wonder how a cardiologist or a consultant paediatrician will do the work of a nurse anaesthetist, if the nurse decides to down tools, no wonder these nurses are better paid in the more developed countries because they have to go on a two-year specialization program after their five years initial degree program and the likes of the aforementioned doctors are never trained for that even if they spent 20 years in the medical school as some would claim..
come on, are you trying to tell me that its nurse anaesthetists that monitor patients on the theatre bed Dont you know that we have consultants in that field and only them, not even senior registrars can monitor patientsplease get your facts right!!!!

5 Likes

Re: NMA Strike Ends On Monday, Says Health Minister by biomedixexcel(m): 11:14am On Jul 05, 2014
dalhat14:
when doctors go on strike, they withdraw their services ie their brains and hands, but when these people u mentioned go on strike, they lock doors and hide equipments, and another correction, doctors don't go home to sit when others go on strike
So if they don't lock it up, can you work Your answer would be YES!! but I don't blame you cos this thing can only happen in an insane environment!
Re: NMA Strike Ends On Monday, Says Health Minister by sigmundfreud(m): 11:38am On Jul 05, 2014
YourHealthlabs:

The last time there was a strike in FMC- owerri. Resident doctors chased out patients from all the wards. It is on record Sir!
Now that's barbaric and inhumane! When did doctors become touts?!

1 Like

Re: NMA Strike Ends On Monday, Says Health Minister by myspnigeria: 11:39am On Jul 05, 2014
I wish I wish I wish
Re: NMA Strike Ends On Monday, Says Health Minister by sainty2k3(m): 11:42am On Jul 05, 2014
SAPEDRO:
these are some of the aspects that irritates me the most, these notions that all that the nurses do is follow the doctors's instructions.if that's the case then of what use is the time they spent in the college?
Need not be irritated, u can Google the role of a nurse in hospital settings, the final decision making in patient management lies on the doctor hence the strict curriculum for practicing license

3 Likes

Re: NMA Strike Ends On Monday, Says Health Minister by Nobody: 11:48am On Jul 05, 2014
Lagusta: come on, are you trying to tell me that its nurse anaesthetists that monitor patients on the theatre bed Dont you know that we have consultants in that field and only them, not even senior registrars can monitor patientsplease get your facts right!!!!
it's you who should get yours right. sir, even though there are consultants in that field, but that's what nurse anaesthetists are extensively trained for . in a typical hospital setting say an orthopedic department there's no need to involve a consultant anaesthetist who might not even be available, cos you already have a professional who can handle dat in ur department, which is exactly what people are clamoring for, that the health system is supposed to be a form of team work.
the major problem is dat medical doctors are overrated in this country so why won't they be holding the government to ransom time and time again

please take ur time to Google this fact out and see that a nurse anaesthetist. earns more than some medical doctors in the united state
Re: NMA Strike Ends On Monday, Says Health Minister by armadeo(m): 11:55am On Jul 05, 2014
Tytto: My dear, am not as ignorant as u seems to think. In my family,my mom is a nurse automatically she belongs to "JOHESU" 3 out of my brothers are doctors so automatically they are "NMA". So any argument i see on nairaland is just a child's play compared to what happens at home. But putting arguments aside my opinion is that both JOHESU and NMA needs each other. Can NMA work successfully without JOHESU? Can JOHESU work successfully without NMA?. You guys need to iron out your differences amicably without putting the FG in the middle.

Men the war for your house go reach ww1

1 Like

Re: NMA Strike Ends On Monday, Says Health Minister by Leopantro: 12:08pm On Jul 05, 2014
YourHealthlabs:

The last time there was a strike in FMC- owerri. Resident doctors chased out patients from all the wards. It is on record Sir!

this is a lie. i have an aunt who was receiving chemotherapy in that hospital during the doctor's strike and she was not chased away. the consultants where working and she still received her chemo drugs from the Surgery dept. she is now very alive and well. that is my record.
the doctors didn't chased anyone away or else why did i keep seeing patients in the ward?
Re: NMA Strike Ends On Monday, Says Health Minister by Andom: 12:29pm On Jul 05, 2014
davno: In summary, when JOHESU goes on strike patients don't mind. When doctors go on strike, patients run from d hospitals. Check out our hospitals and see how empty they are right now.
Am not againt JOHESU seeking improvement but envy and greed should not be the foundation. Move forward because u want to and not because u want to be where doctors are.
Why the squabbles? Life is too small to feel bigger or better than others. Truly no position or anything is worth fighting for. Pls let's learn to look at issues without biases. Remember these things do not change our common fate-death.
Re: NMA Strike Ends On Monday, Says Health Minister by Amhappy(f): 1:03pm On Jul 05, 2014
jauntty: We hope the strike end soon.......However, I do not like the way FG is handling this matter. This is not just NMA vs FG , neither is it JOHESU vs FG, Its more of NMA vs JOHESU vs FG, and any solution that doesn't bring these 3 groups to a round table might not be long lasting. E.g. If FG agrees with NMA and stop Consultancy status for others, JOHESU will declare their own Strike. My advice is that we should avoid these sentimental and myopic views about these issues and ask our selves this question : What is the healthcare system and structures like in developed countries This should guild us in resolving this issues. Nigeria is not an island of its own.

This is the most sensible comment i have seen made on this issue. Drs are telling us others are not important,Nurses are saying the same about Drs. Is that how its done in other parts of the world? What is the best global practice? This is just power play and i tell you its not fair to the lives these guys swore to protect. Its just that GEJ is not a dictator or else he will have broken the 2 organisations.

2 Likes

Re: NMA Strike Ends On Monday, Says Health Minister by Nobody: 1:26pm On Jul 05, 2014
Leopantro:

this is a lie. i have an aunt who was receiving chemotherapy in that hospital during the doctor's strike and she was not chased away. the consultants where working and she still received her chemo drugs from the Surgery dept. she is now very alive and well. that is my record.
the doctors didn't chased anyone away or else why did i keep seeing patients in the ward?

It happened, it's on record that FMC ARDs owerri docs are the most notorious physicians. Go find out why Soldiers invaded that hospital and beat up everybody in wardcoat and lab coats.

The only photocopy center there(they call it Doctors photocopy center) in that hospital does not offer services to non-doctors including patients. Only doctors are allowed to do photocopy there.

Infact Patients' relatives have to enter Keke napep to warehouse bus stop about 20mins(with go-slow) from there to go do photocopy and documentations before they can be attended to.
This is a first hand experience. Not 'dem say'.

I 'm sorry i don't empathize with FMC-owerri docs whenever they complain about salaries, Docs there are dreadful.
Re: NMA Strike Ends On Monday, Says Health Minister by yeloyhemzy(f): 1:33pm On Jul 05, 2014
Aaaaaaaah. At last!

1 Like

Re: NMA Strike Ends On Monday, Says Health Minister by alegria(m): 1:41pm On Jul 05, 2014
ope ooo! #workflow#
Re: NMA Strike Ends On Monday, Says Health Minister by armadeo(m): 1:56pm On Jul 05, 2014
YourHealthlabs:

It happened, it's on record that FMC ARDs owerri docs are the most notorious physicians. Go find out why Soldiers invaded that hospital and beat up everybody in wardcoat and lab coats.

The only photocopy center there(they call it Doctors photocopy center) in that hospital does not offer services to non-doctors including patients. Only doctors are allowed to do photocopy there.

Infact Patients' relatives have to enter Keke napep to warehouse bus stop about 20mins(with go-slow) from there to go do photocopy and documentations before they can be attended to.

I 'm sorry i don't empathize with FMC-owerri docs whenever they complain about salaries, Docs there are dreadful.

thats the Drs lounge am guessing and its like that in every teaching hospital. its open only to Drs
Re: NMA Strike Ends On Monday, Says Health Minister by Sylverbox(m): 2:22pm On Jul 05, 2014
drkay: Honestly I think he's right in that aspect and I knw some centres that still manage stabilise their patients before they "bounce" them to good private centres where they can access proper care. I still connect to my patients on admission tru the nurses on the ward. I wish the leadership of NMA put this into consideration when nxt we want to go on strike cos I blv we are fighting the govt not our people.
yes you are right. Where I trained (UUTH) the labour ward and children emergency especially SCBU never downtooled and I think that should be the standard because the suffering is grave out there.
Re: NMA Strike Ends On Monday, Says Health Minister by Nobody: 2:26pm On Jul 05, 2014
armadeo:

thats the Drs lounge am guessing and its like that in every teaching hospital. its open only to Drs

Sorry, that's the ONLY hospital where the ONLY photocopy center there is open to ONLY doctors. It is monopolistic and smacks of insentivity towards the patients.

Even though i don't think is the doctor's lounge, I have no problem with you having your DOCTOR'S LOUNGE or DOCTOR'S BIZ CENTRE, why not ask your CMD to provide a general one for those you see as DREGS in the hospital. Did they ever go on strike to press for a General photocopy center in FMC owerri.
Is the patient not supposed to be king?

Anyway, hope you won't start complaining when Johesu begins to ask for Physio's lounge, Pharmacist's lounge, Scientist's lounge, Nurses quaters and so on.
Re: NMA Strike Ends On Monday, Says Health Minister by Abraham2013(m): 2:42pm On Jul 05, 2014
duniya @zola:
suggest how best union should go about stuffs lyk dis
NMA n NARD is not a registered union, so dem going on strike is illegal in d 1st place. NMA n NARD is just a mere social association of physicians.
Re: NMA Strike Ends On Monday, Says Health Minister by armadeo(m): 3:04pm On Jul 05, 2014
YourHealthlabs:

Sorry, that's the ONLY hospital where the ONLY photocopy center there is open to ONLY doctors. It is monopolistic and smacks of insentivity towards the patients.

Even though i don't think is the doctor's lounge, I have no problem with you having your DOCTOR'S LOUNGE or DOCTOR'S BIZ CENTRE, why not ask your CMD to provide a general one for those you see as DREGS in the hospital. Did they ever go on strike to press for a General photocopy center in FMC owerri.
Is the patient not supposed to be king?

Anyway, hope you won't start complaining when Johesu begins to ask for Physio's lounge, Pharmacist's lounge, Scientist's lounge, Nurses quaters and so on.

this man you are declining daily.

the first bolded doesn't make sense, if the center is only open to Drs its a drs lounge. Is there only one photocopy center in the hospital, if yes and its in the lounge then too bad, however no businessman will restrict his product so i believe its the lounge.

however if there's no center outside the lounge that's a business issue not even management problem. am sure people sell recharge cards and soap and other things there so why not open a center, if nobody has seen it fit to invest in photocopying why blame the cmd. ( chai i now feel for GEJ).

you cant have many lounges maybe johesu lounge grin grin grin

guy i really cant believe that YOU typed that am sure your moniker has been hacked.

ps i didn't even know it was you who posted the initial issue that started this discourse.

2 Likes

Re: NMA Strike Ends On Monday, Says Health Minister by Leopantro: 3:17pm On Jul 05, 2014
YourHealthlabs:

okay, let me call you out here.

I'm a doctor in that hospital.
1 . FMC owerri has two photocopying centers, the ARD common room and the IT center. the IT center has three photocopying machines and it's a business center which opens from 9am to 6pm and is still running as up this morning.

2. the photocopying center in the ARD common is run and serviced by the ARD. however, anyone can photocopy in the center. because it is in the ARD common room, non doctors are asked not to enter the common but to pass their request through the window to the sales girl to photocopy. this arose because lab technicians use to sit in that common room and meet their patients there, making the patient assume they were doctors as well. Nurses, patients and other health workers photocopy in the ARD center because it is cheaper.

3. the Alvan college of technology is next door an da strolling distance to the FMC and there are so many business centers in that school

4. Soldiers have NEVER, EVER beat up any doctor in that center, at least over the past 3 years . during the last strike the state director of the SSS mediated and over the crisis in that hospital.

5. it was the " notorious doctors" as you call them that revolted against the management of that hospital that eventually got the management to pay back a deduction that was made from all staffs in that hospital that took 7 months to pay back.

you can lie sometimes but not all the time.

4 Likes

Re: NMA Strike Ends On Monday, Says Health Minister by Leopantro: 3:27pm On Jul 05, 2014
honestly, i was actually enjoying your insight in regards to Medical Lab scientist and felt that this was an unbias view so i could understand what the issue is in that sector

BUT

your balant lies in regards to my center has destroyed all credibility in your views. the funny thing is i have a neighbour who is a lab scientist and is a good friend of mine. when i showed him your writeup, he just shook his head and apologized.

1 Like

Re: NMA Strike Ends On Monday, Says Health Minister by dino2006(m): 3:56pm On Jul 05, 2014
This @YourHealthlabs dude has been peddling blatant lies all over this thread all day long. The loop holes spotted by @lomaxx and @Leopantro, in all of ur posts is just mind-boggling. That someone can reduce himself to such a low by telling white lies, so as to drive home a baseless point is simply disgusting. Like stated earlier, this thread deserves an apology from you @yourhealthlabs, for misleading the reading public with ur cock $ bull lies. Ignorance is truly bliss! Rubbish!!!

2 Likes

Re: NMA Strike Ends On Monday, Says Health Minister by davno: 4:11pm On Jul 05, 2014
Andom:
Why the squabbles? Life is too small to feel bigger or better than others. Truly no position or anything is worth fighting for. Pls let's learn to look at issues without biases. Remember these things do not change our common fate-death.

We all need each other but definitely all fingers are not equal.
Life is too short for envy and greed. We Nigerians know dt JOHESU is not fighting doctors because they want to improve medical care. See beyond d rhetorics, it's all about greed.

1 Like

Re: NMA Strike Ends On Monday, Says Health Minister by armadeo(m): 4:18pm On Jul 05, 2014
Leopantro:

okay, let me call you out here.

I'm a doctor in that hospital.
1 . FMC owerri has two photocopying centers, the ARD common room and the IT center. the IT center has three photocopying machines and it's a business center which opens from 9am to 6pm and is still running as up this morning.

2. the photocopying center in the ARD common is run and serviced by the ARD. however, anyone can photocopy in the center. because it is in the ARD common room, non doctors are asked not to enter the common but to pass their request through the window to the sales girl to photocopy. this arose because lab technicians use to sit in that common room and meet their patients there, making the patient assume they were doctors as well. Nurses, patients and other health workers photocopy in the ARD center because it is cheaper.

3. the Alvan college of technology is next door an da strolling distance to the FMC and there are so many business centers in that school

4. Soldiers have NEVER, EVER beat up any doctor in that center, at least over the past 3 years . during the last strike the state director of the SSS mediated and over the crisis in that hospital.

5. it was the " notorious doctors" as you call them that revolted against the management of that hospital that eventually got the management to pay back a deduction that was made from all staffs in that hospital that took 7 months to pay back.

you can lie sometimes but not all the time.

youhealthlabs again. you a fast becoming an object of ridicule on this forum. Your " scientific " hatred for the Dr is something else. here you have been caught in another lie in trying to make a point. is this what you do lying up and down on NL.

any psychologist in the house this dude as some deep seated issues. pls pro bono work required.

https://www.nairaland.com/1796140/johesu-press-release-nma-strike/9#24432984

see more of his lies on this thread.
Re: NMA Strike Ends On Monday, Says Health Minister by tete7000(m): 4:42pm On Jul 05, 2014
sexy-excalibur:
I tot JOHESU said doctors don't do anything.... sack them so that JOHESU can take over...bloody nonsence

And if other health workers too down their tools, will doctors alone run the hospitals?
I am not a doctor or any other health worker but your argument too is a scrap talk. Workers compliments one another. Nigerian workers need to accept this fact and stop all this baseless and senseless rivalry that cost innocent peoples' lives.

1 Like

Re: NMA Strike Ends On Monday, Says Health Minister by ziga: 5:13pm On Jul 05, 2014
The Ministry of Health and whoever runs it is a failure for allowing this mess!!!
Re: NMA Strike Ends On Monday, Says Health Minister by ziga: 5:18pm On Jul 05, 2014
tete7000:

And if other health workers too down their tools, will doctors alone run the hospitals?
I am not a doctor or any other health worker but your argument too is a scrap talk. Workers compliments one another. Nigerian workers need to accept this fact and stop all this baseless and senseless rivalry that cost innocent peoples' lives.

There will always be rivalry between humans, professions etc. The doctors are fighting to protect their territory which is reasonable.

In a normal society, it shouldn't take a strike to get that done. But in Nigeria where through lobbying, anybody can grab at anything (including what they don't deserve) this is what happens.

The Health Ministry (just like all other sectors of the Nigerian Government) has failed.

That is why we should have leaders who know what they are doing. They should resolve this issue right away.

This mess has gone on too long.
Re: NMA Strike Ends On Monday, Says Health Minister by johnjay4u2u(m): 5:19pm On Jul 05, 2014
let me clear something. With the little I know, NMA still works during her strike. At my teaching hospital, we just stop taking in new patients to the wards.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Prostate shrinking herbs very effective with rapid recovery / Cure To Mastibation (solutions) / Five Mistakes That Can Wreck A Healthy Diet

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.