Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,939 members, 7,810,610 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:02 PM

The Pitfalls Of An Office Romance - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / The Pitfalls Of An Office Romance (22620 Views)

On The Merits And Pitfalls Of Sex With Circumcised Versus Uncircumcised joysticks / 5 Factors To Consider Before Starting An Office Romance / See Mary & John Having Office Romance And Poor Jessica Is Doing The Whole Job! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Pitfalls Of An Office Romance by lalasticlalaa: 8:26pm On Jul 05, 2014
When people spend the greater part of the working day together, they are bound to find someone with whom they have some common interests. This often leads to sharing a few social moments and if they hit off, things are ripe for a relationship. But before you act further upon your crush on a co-worker, consider the following dangers of an office romance.

1 Leaves a bitter taste

The worst thing about an office romance that while they are easy to get into, they are equally hard to get out of. When a workplace relationship goes kaput, both partners are faced with a difficult situation.

While professional ethics demand that you continue to respect your co-worker and work as a team, the conflict in your personal relationship makes it exceedingly impossible to be around your ex, much less deliver your best professionally. Despite your attempts at maintaining a professional relationship with your ex, if you find that he or she continues to rake up personal issues at the workplace.

Even if both you and your ex are trying hard to act professional, it may be difficult to entirely avoid touchy matters. If you are preparing a presentation for a client based in Calabar, one of you may start reminiscing about what a great time you had at Tinapa and before you know you are caught up in the cycle of accusations and counter-accusations about who was responsible for the breakup.

2 It might be against company policy

If your company has a written policy against employee dating, you may be fired from your job if your office romance comes to light. Many companies don’t place a general bar against dating between employees but only in certain circumstances like those involving a boss and a subordinate. More typical are companies that simply discourage workplace romance and for good reason too – in an office romance, it is only a matter of time before personal issues quickly become workplace issues leading to unsatisfactory job performance. This is one of the main reasons employers frown on this practice in the first place.

3 Complexities in a relationship

When you and your partner are working in the same office, there might be a situation where you are competing directly for jobs or assignments or at least constantly contrasting your career progress with that of your partner’s. Alternately you could keep feeling like you aren’t moving fast enough or working hard enough as compared to your partner. Such a context is hardly conducive for a harmonious relationship.

Even when there is no direct competition or comparison, having a partner in your workplace can have the negative effect of making you less secure in almost every situation. For instance if he/she says something positive about your work, you may suspect it is just because he/she is dating you - “You just like this piece because you’re my boyfriend.” On the other hand if your partner is critical of your work, you may assume because he was unhappy about last night. Even if there are no such issues, working in the same place can suddenly leave partners with an uncertain future about their relationship. Suppose the opportunity came along that required one of you to relocate with the company for a promotion. A decision would have to be made that could have you choosing between the promotion and your office romance.

4 Bad for your career

No matter how hard you strive to keep your personal and professional lives apart, having an office romance could lead to people lose focus on your professional abilities. If you get a raise or promotion, it will be assumed by others that it was because you are dating so-and-so. Again if you become involved with someone in your department, and you receive a promotion, you will end up in a relationship with your subordinate. This is not only likely to be against company policy but may even open up the possibility of blackmail or leave you open to the charge that you are unduly favoring your partner when it comes to conducting reviews and maintaining discipline. Most importantly, if your relationship ends badly, you never know if your ex will complain to HR that you were making unwanted advances - a harassment suit, however unjust, is one thing which is sure to wreck your career.

Even if you and your partner are on the best of terms, being a lovey-dovey couple carries its own risks. The more private time you spend together during office hours, the more and more you'll begin to alienate yourself from your other colleagues. The worst thing you can do is distance yourself from your immediate associates, especially those you've developed personal relationships with. Being the office outsider is extremely risky, especially in times of downsizing and other such corporate shakedowns; in order to find what is going on in the corridors of power, you may have to work overtime to regain the trust and friendship of those in the know.

5 Involving other co-worker

Despite your best efforts to keep your personal life shielded from your colleagues, your romantic involvement is bound to impact them directly. If you sit together in the company cafeteria, it is only naturalfor others to feel they should give you privacy. From here it is only a step to exclude you from certain conversations, because they don't know what you'll relay to your new love. Consciously or subconsciously, your relationship may influence decisions that go well beyond a lunchroom. Your romance may color everyone's judgment with regard to promotions, projects, team building and responsibilities the relationship could make it more difficult for your department -- and depending on your position, your company -- to operate effectively.

In the event of a breakup, you may be tempted to share your pain with the other colleagues.

And if it has been a particularly messy breakup, you may even be inclined to reveal your side of the story while your ex reveals his/hers. It is only a matter of time before past indiscretions are dug up, co-workers are being bad-mouthed and the whole atmosphere of the workplace a cauldron of rumors and gossip. Some of your co-workers may feel pressured to take sides with you or your ex and others may feel embarrassed about your situation and begin to avoid you.

One of the worst consequences of an office romance gone sour is that either of you may start flirting at your workplace. Granted that you and your ex have agreed to move on, but this does not mean that you or your ex start flirting with the new intern at the first chance you get. This will only go to show that you are actually yet to get over your breakup since you are still looking for ways to make him or her jealous. Moreover it may lower you in the esteem of the rest of your colleagues who will see you as just another sex maniac whose mind is never on the job.

5 Likes

Re: The Pitfalls Of An Office Romance by Xyge(m): 8:46pm On Jul 05, 2014
Mods, pls do this community the favor of moving this thread to fronpage.. Una thank u.
Nice write up @Op.

2 Likes

Re: The Pitfalls Of An Office Romance by lalasticlalaa: 9:00pm On Jul 05, 2014
Xyge: Mods, pls do this community the favor of moving this thread to fronpage.. Una thank u.
Nice write up @Op.

thanks bro

1 Like

Re: The Pitfalls Of An Office Romance by Danhumprey: 9:11pm On Jul 05, 2014
OP,you like to type epistles o! You be the cousin of Dailynews?

2 Likes

Re: The Pitfalls Of An Office Romance by LogoDWhiz(m): 9:31pm On Jul 05, 2014
Lol. Lovely write up
Re: The Pitfalls Of An Office Romance by LogoDWhiz(m): 9:32pm On Jul 05, 2014
Danhumprey: OP,you like to type epistles o! You be the cousin of Dailynews?

Bro.. How have u been?
Re: The Pitfalls Of An Office Romance by maxism2: 9:37pm On Jul 05, 2014
I was once involved in an office romance.

it was actually d young lady that made d first move by flirting with me and even demanding for my number.

I got d break light and did d needful by asking her out officially via phone call when she called me midnight , she sought for my permission b4 calling at that odd hour.
She said she will think about it. lol

so d next day , she gave me a positive response.

we kicked it off.
I tried to make it very discreet as much as I could.
she was coming to my place but none of our colleagues knew about d affair.

But with time, she started coming too close to my own side of the office by frequenting there and even sitting down and chatting with me.
I tried to caution her.
But after a while, she left d place to further her education.

6 Likes

Re: The Pitfalls Of An Office Romance by Danhumprey: 9:37pm On Jul 05, 2014
LogoDWhiz:

Bro.. How have u been?
I have been good. Thanks!
Re: The Pitfalls Of An Office Romance by LogoDWhiz(m): 9:44pm On Jul 05, 2014
Danhumprey: I have been good. Thanks!

Uwc.. Email still works?
Re: The Pitfalls Of An Office Romance by lalasticlalaa: 9:45pm On Jul 05, 2014
Re: The Pitfalls Of An Office Romance by Danhumprey: 9:46pm On Jul 05, 2014
LogoDWhiz:

Uwc.. Email still works?
Hmmm,yeah!
Re: The Pitfalls Of An Office Romance by daveP(m): 9:48pm On Jul 05, 2014
Lala has been deserving Fp since.yet no reaction from 'them' . This office romance took a new light when one aunty neighbour came back from work crying.no body around.so that time i use my young boy to try comfort her,nas o she BURST into tears(oga don sack her after wooing and asking for etc,then rudeness 1day,and Gbam na sackshocked .'buhuhuhu' she cried!! What will i do? She's married today,and when she meets me ,she jst smiles and talk freely.i pitied her that day though. grin grin

1 Like

Re: The Pitfalls Of An Office Romance by AfricanApple(f): 10:08pm On Jul 05, 2014
maxism2: I was once involved in an office romance.

it was actually d young lady that made d first move by flirting with me and even demanding for my number.

I got d break light and did d needful by asking her out officially via phone call when she called me midnight , she sought for my permission b4 calling at that odd hour.

we kicked it off.

But with time, she started coming too close to my own side of the office by frequenting there and even sitting down and chatting with me.
I tried to caution her.
and dat is d end of ur story. na wa o

13 Likes

Re: The Pitfalls Of An Office Romance by montestic(m): 10:34pm On Jul 05, 2014
office romance could b sweet and could also cost one ones job
Re: The Pitfalls Of An Office Romance by montestic(m): 10:35pm On Jul 05, 2014
AfricanApple: and dat is d end of ur story. na wa o

y not tel urs too.
lol
Re: The Pitfalls Of An Office Romance by montestic(m): 11:01pm On Jul 05, 2014
let me confess.

I was once working in a place, I liked one of the junior workers there, she had big watermelons like that of Cossy Orjiskors if not bigger.
I toasted her and she agreed.
I used to invite him to my office to come and clean it up every morning.
Once she comes I will squeeze her big watermelons. and also tap her protruding azzzz.

one day I just couldn't help it.

when d senior workers were in a meeting with d management, I excused myself and went to her side and signaled her to come.
she did.
immediately she entered I started hugging her and brought out her big milk industry to drink, as I was doing that I forgot d door wasn't really closed and all I heard was a cough and I was startled.
behold was d manager of my own department who expected me to get a file.
I buried my head In shame.
I begged him.
he kept it secret but scolded me sternly.

He later directed me to get her d girl and they met outside the work place and he ate and cleaned mouth.

office romance isn't good ooo.

I won't try it again

12 Likes

Re: The Pitfalls Of An Office Romance by lalasticlala(m): 12:26am On Jul 06, 2014
montestic: let me confess.

I was once working in a place, I liked one of the junior workers there, she had big watermelons like that of Cossy Orjiskors if not bigger.
Once she comes I will squeeze her big watermelons. and also tap her protruding azzzz.

when d senior workers were in a meeting with d management, I excused myself and went to her side and signaled her to come.
she did.
immediately she entered I started hugging her and brought out her big milk industry to drink, as I was doing that I forgot d door wasn't really closed and all I heard was a cough and I was startled.
I begged him.

He later directed me to get her d girl and they met outside the work place and he ate and cleaned mouth.

I won't try it again

hahahahahahaha

true confession

1 Like

Re: The Pitfalls Of An Office Romance by Rdduite(m): 1:45am On Jul 06, 2014

she did.
I begged him.

I won't try it again

& am like "jisus!" shocked

2 Likes

Re: The Pitfalls Of An Office Romance by lovelyronke20(f): 4:44am On Jul 06, 2014
hmmmm
Re: The Pitfalls Of An Office Romance by Nobody: 4:47am On Jul 06, 2014
I work with ladies but I decided to see them as my sisters, so anytime my Ben Thomas wants to react I just tell it to sit down that that's his sister. cool

18 Likes

Re: The Pitfalls Of An Office Romance by MacLovington(m): 5:17am On Jul 06, 2014
Nice one op.

I avoid it like a plague.
Re: The Pitfalls Of An Office Romance by 1stola: 5:17am On Jul 06, 2014
maxism2: I was once involved in an office romance.

we kicked it off.

I tried to caution her.
so?
Re: The Pitfalls Of An Office Romance by Nobody: 5:18am On Jul 06, 2014
Mmmmmmm Even pple were never wrk get experience

9 Likes

Re: The Pitfalls Of An Office Romance by 1stola: 5:20am On Jul 06, 2014

I used to invite - him - to my office to come and clean it up every morning.

she did.
I begged him.

I won't try it again
gay alert! grin

6 Likes

Re: The Pitfalls Of An Office Romance by Nobody: 5:22am On Jul 06, 2014

she did.
I begged him.

I won't try it again
I doubt your honesty sir.

6 Likes

Re: The Pitfalls Of An Office Romance by papindinho(m): 5:23am On Jul 06, 2014
Office romance is more or less risky unless you're the oga at the top......
Re: The Pitfalls Of An Office Romance by 1stola: 5:24am On Jul 06, 2014
Office romance sweet dai if u know how to play ur games
Re: The Pitfalls Of An Office Romance by basty: 5:26am On Jul 06, 2014
There is no good side of dating your fellow co-workers. It is bad.
Re: The Pitfalls Of An Office Romance by Pavore9: 5:27am On Jul 06, 2014
hmm..
Re: The Pitfalls Of An Office Romance by scarpa: 5:31am On Jul 06, 2014
In a work place, everybody can never be treated the same. Closeness btw men may cause no gossip as closeness btw opposite sex and likely ignite no intimacy! But we love and naturally come close to co-workers who are helpful and can assist us achieve our goals. Once the closeness does not affect your mindset of telling the opposite sex the objective truth, no side effect. Co-workers can be unnecessarily wicked and jealous and if that happens, u will look for that person u fill has some level of understanding and he/she is supportive. Lazy co-workers are very difficult to deal with. Intimacy in work place is very wrong, but u can genuinely love your co-worker(s). Israel and other nations are co-workers, but God loves them specially.
Re: The Pitfalls Of An Office Romance by Nobody: 5:44am On Jul 06, 2014
Most times, office romance demands secrecy which in turn makes cheating very easy. No matter how I trip for my co-worker(s), I simply wait it out and not act on my feelings, in a couple of months, I'll 'de-trip'

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Beautiful Wedding Pictures Of A Nairalander / See The Large Boobs Of this Young Nigerian girl that has Got People Talking / What Is The Punishment For False Rape Accusers?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.