Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,119 members, 7,814,925 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 11:43 PM

A Thread For Keyboardists - Music/Radio (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / A Thread For Keyboardists (195643 Views)

Help Me With The Use Of Deminished Chord My Fellow Keyboardists. / Instrumentalists And Musicians (keyboardists, Drummers, Bassist: Etc) / *****all Keyboardists/pianists/interested Folks, Click Here!***** (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (73) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Dramadiddy(m): 12:21am On Jul 26, 2014
gameboi: okay... But that was how I learnt it. By the way, I have a chord progression you might want to try out. I use it as a background chord when the preacher is about to conclude sermon and trust me it sounds soft and touching.
shoot bro!
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by EmtolalaaPRAISE(m): 1:39am On Jul 26, 2014
I habe a personal piano at home but I cant play beyond the elementary stuffs... I am actually a saxophonist but I want to learn how to play the piano, any help?
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Dramadiddy(m): 2:37am On Jul 26, 2014
EmtolalaaPRAISE: I habe a personal piano at home but I cant play beyond the elementary stuffs... I am actually a saxophonist but I want to learn how to play the piano, any help?
specify wat exactly u want cos music is vast and u have to start from somewhere so what do u need?
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by gameboi: 4:24am On Jul 26, 2014
Key -->Dminor.
Left Hand- Right Hand- Chord Name
D A| |D (E) F A| |Dm(9)
C G| |C (D) E G| |C(9)
Bb F| |Bb (C) D F| |Bb(9)
A E| |A (B) C E| |Am(9)

If you want to add the touchy and sad effect all you have to do is Break-up the chords so that they sound like you are striking them individually. They should be struck back and forth Like this ---D (E) F A--- F (E) D--- (E) F A---. The beat will be 1(D) 2(E) 3(F) 5(A) 3(F) 2(E) 1(D) 2(E) 3(F) 5(A) 3(F) 2(E) 1(D).
Each Chord is played 4times before moving to the next to the next chord and remember to break-up the chords (striking them singly/as a unit will make it sound like pure worship).

NB: ''m'' means Minor
''9'' means Ninth chord

FINGERINGS for the Left hand on this chord are:
1 = Thumb
2 = Index Finger
3 = Middle finger
5 = Pinky/ Last finger

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Giannakopoulos(f): 7:03am On Jul 26, 2014
gameboi: what you typed there look more like you're talking 'bout slash chords, One other thing I noticed from keyboardists is that they keep on saying things like 'do chord, re chord..et al when in reality there's nothing as such.
Back to Your question1: Are you talking about chord progressions for Jazz?
2. My harmonization techniques are done using most of slash chords.
3. Difficult worship? There are many I know of and used to be obssesed with until I discovered the way the keyboardist played them. Some of them are: a. Now behold the lamb-kirk franklin
b. Incredible God- James hairston( Lots of Sus-chords were used here) c. Praise him in advance-Marvin sapp. These are the ones I remember for now.
thanks so much,but for the re harmonization,lemme really explain what I mean,for instance,I want to move from 3 to 6 chord,and I don't want to walk straight and want to add some jazzy chords in b/w b4 getting to the 6,what should I add?

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Giannakopoulos(f): 7:09am On Jul 26, 2014
Dramadiddy: Hmmm u seem advanced already o...well to question, I think you should have asked for a voicing for a particular progression...Not to say im too good but i have a lot of voicings in my head...Number 2 : I use all methods, simple substitution, tritones, diatonic sub, chromatic sub, cadential sub..infact i shd just tel u... just knw d name and the meanings, but when u wanna voice a song, be free...don't look at what the book says... number 3: Listen to Donnie Mcclurkin, Marvin sapp, Tye tribbett...the keyboardist behind donnie nd marvin is d same guy...u will learn from him a lot...dload diia old albums ooo cos nowadays, music is so artificial so dey dnt play something heavy now...Wish you the best
thanks,I hv given gameboi a part,now the part I want you to explain is if I hv a bass player with me,give me the left/and right hand notes (voicing) u would press for the 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 chords on key C,once again I really appreciate what you are doing here,I hope it continues,and thanks for replying the 1st question
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Dramadiddy(m): 8:28am On Jul 26, 2014
Giannakopoulos: thanks,I hv given gameboi a part,now the part I want you to explain is if I hv a bass player with me,give me the left/and right hand notes (voicing) u would press for the 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 chords on key C,once again I really appreciate what you are doing here,I hope it continues,and thanks for replying the 1st question
Okay lets see :
1: C G C//D E G C
2: D A C//E F A C
3: E B D//D F# A
4: F A C//G A C E
5: G D F//A C E G
6: A E G//G B D
7: B B//F Ab B D

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by gameboi: 8:30am On Jul 26, 2014
Giannakopoulos: for instance,I want to move from 3 to 6 chord,and I don't want to walk straight and want to add some jazzy chords in b/w b4 getting to the 6,what should I add?
moving from 3 - 6 there are some two possible ways of adding a passing chord.
1. Either You add a chord the way Kirk Franklin's keyboardist would do it. E.g From the 3 play (5# 7 2) then move to the 6. This is what I mean. E.g In the key of C, the notes are C D E F G A B C'
(Left Hand) |Right Hand
(C B) |C E G
E B |E G B
(Ab Eb) |Ab B D
(A A) |C E A.
The Text in coloured font is the 5# 7 2- chord I'm reffering to.
Another way of adding a chord inbetween the 3 and 6 is by transforming the chord of the 3rd note into a major before moving to the sixth. Like this
(Left Hand) |Right hand
(C G) |C E G
(E B) |E G B
(Ab Eb) |E Ab B
(A D) |C E A
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Giannakopoulos(f): 9:06am On Jul 26, 2014
gameboi: moving from 3 - 6 there are some two possible ways of adding a passing chord.
1. Either You add a chord the way Kirk Franklin's keyboardist would do it. E.g From the 3 play (5# 7 2) then move to the 6. This is what I mean. E.g In the key of C, the notes are C D E F G A B C'
(Left Hand) |Right Hand
(C B) |C E G
E B |E G B
(Ab Eb) |Ab B D
(A A) |C E A.
The Text in coloured font is the 5# 7 2- chord I'm reffering to.
Another way of adding a chord inbetween the 3 and 6 is by transforming the chord of the 3rd note into a major before moving to the sixth. Like this
(Left Hand) |Right hand
(C G) |C E G
(E B) |E G B
(Ab Eb) |E Ab B
(A D) |C E A
u r so on point,thanks
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Giannakopoulos(f): 9:07am On Jul 26, 2014
Dramadiddy: Okay lets see :
1: C G C//D E G C
2: D A C//E F A C
3: E B D//D F# A
4: F A C//G A C E
5: G D F//A C E G
6: A E G//G B D
7: B B//F Ab B D
Thanks a lot,u've helped a lot
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by gameboi: 9:53am On Jul 26, 2014
Giannakopoulos: u r so on point,thanks
you're welcome.
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Dramadiddy(m): 11:55am On Jul 26, 2014
Giannakopoulos: thanks so much,but for the re harmonization,lemme really explain what I mean,for instance,I want to move from 3 to 6 chord,and I don't want to walk straight and want to add some jazzy chords in b/w b4 getting to the 6,what should I add?
Bro you have to know the meanings of different methods of reharmonization, if you know that then it would be easy.. now let me try and summarise them:
1: Harmonization by harmonic content : what this means is, if i hav a Cdominant9 chord which is C G Bb//E G Bb D, but you think its nt sounding nice enough, i can simply take out one of the notes of the chord and form a chord with it, Like playing an E,G or D chord, doesnt have to b a dom chord, u can choose from different sound qualities depending on your taste. Note that you can use this as a sub or as a passing chord to/before the Cdom9

2: Harmonization by tritones : This means sub the initial chord for its tritone...a tritone interval is an augmented 4th...so C F# is a tritone...so subbing it for its tritone would be to play a chord from the other tritone, this one works well for minor.

3: Harmonization by cadential points : meaning that you can play a particular progression, 7-3-6,2-5-1,3-6-2, etc on another key that links with where you want to move to. Lets say im on C and I anna move to E like you said...A cadential progression would be a 2-5-1 on the key of E..So thats C, Gb, B, E.

4: Harmonization by modes: this is by forming a chord from a note of a scale...now this method makes you so free cos there r so many scales and their structure let u do anything.

Hope I've answered your questions
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Nobody: 3:11pm On Jul 26, 2014
lilhansome: can anyone play piano here? i wanna learn piano, ive been playing keyboard(purely contemporRY NO CLASSICAL) and now i wanna go into classical but someone said i need to know music theory b4 i can play the piano... please any little little tips or lessons on music theory or classical music?... tnx in adv
:.
I am a music composer pianist and conductor,I can take you on classical piano if only you can afford it[color=#0 you can email me, cephaskeys@gmail. com
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Nobody: 3:32pm On Jul 26, 2014
If you need a classical piano.Organ or music theory instructor,just send me an email cephaskeys@ gmail.com or call 08169116771
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Giannakopoulos(f): 4:04pm On Jul 26, 2014
Dramadiddy: Bro you have to know the meanings of different methods of reharmonization, if you know that then it would be easy.. now let me try and summarise them:
1: Harmonization by harmonic content : what this means is, if i hav a Cdominant9 chord which is C G Bb//E G Bb D, but you think its nt sounding nice enough, i can simply take out one of the notes of the chord and form a chord with it, Like playing an E,G or D chord, doesnt have to b a dom chord, u can choose from different sound qualities depending on your taste. Note that you can use this as a sub or as a passing chord to/before the Cdom9

2: Harmonization by tritones : This means sub the initial chord for its tritone...a tritone interval is an augmented 4th...so C F# is a tritone...so subbing it for its tritone would be to play a chord from the other tritone, this one works well for minor.

3: Harmonization by cadential points : meaning that you can play a particular progression, 7-3-6,2-5-1,3-6-2, etc on another key that links with where you want to move to. Lets say im on C and I anna move to E like you said...A cadential progression would be a 2-5-1 on the key of E..So thats C, Gb, B, E.

4: Harmonization by modes: this is by forming a chord from a note of a scale...now this method makes you so free cos there r so many scales and their structure let u do anything.

Hope I've answered your questions
yes

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Dramadiddy(m): 5:59pm On Jul 26, 2014
Pls guys..just a disclaimer, incase you want to pay for lessons to someone here, pls verify ooo...I'm not calling anyone scammer but just be careful when making transactions...btw rehearsal today was fun...I cant describe cos I was playing on instinct...really fun cheesy

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Greatomotoy: 12:18am On Jul 27, 2014
i observed that d 7-3-6-2-5-1 progression revolves round the circle of fifth.
My question is How can i split chords between my right and left hand. Wil i play d first three notes on my left and the rest on my right?

Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Dramadiddy(m): 6:42am On Jul 27, 2014
Greatomotoy: i observed that d 7-3-6-2-5-1 progression revolves round the circle of fifth.
My question is How can i split chords between my right and left hand. Wil i play d first three notes on my left and the rest on my right?
yh normally its the frstt three...but there r some changes...u only play the 1,5 and dom or 7 or 1 as in C G Bb, C G B, C G C..jst apply the same formula on other keys...and thhen the rest on your right hand...if u feel the chord is too big u can make it rootless, rootless will mean that if ure supposed to play Cmin13 of which the notes are C Eb G Bb D F A...i cn take different notes of the chord, mix it anyhw nd play it on my left hand nd play the rest on my right hand...e.g : Eb G Bb D//F A C...I can still do more...just like permutation
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by ONWARDBABA: 5:39pm On Jul 27, 2014
Dramadiddy: how far have u gone?
progression for
regee beat
highlife
makosa
calayso
igbo beat
and even urhobo beat
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Dramadiddy(m): 5:51pm On Jul 27, 2014
ONWARDBABA: progression for
regee beat
highlife
makosa
calayso
igbo beat
and even urhobo beat
so wat d u need nw?
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by ONWARDBABA: 8:49pm On Jul 27, 2014
Dramadiddy: so wat d u need nw?
the progression
i av a psr s910 i cant even prog beat can we hook send me a mail vicdrawar@gmail.com
or ur whatsapp no plz
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Nobody: 5:04pm On Jul 28, 2014
Hi guys. Nice thread. Very informative. I'm a learner/intermediate. For the guys who play contemporary n wanna know more, its easier if u know the theory n can read music, not necessarily being a guru in sight-reading, nah, but just know what means what, the chord shapes on paper, all that. You probably can play a song by ear or feel, but if u know how to read music, then u can pick up any sheet music of any artiste and learn more efficiently, faster, and more precisely! There are lots of materials out there. Personally, I started with "Piano for dummies". Then advanced to others. There are also video tutorials online. I got one from torrent, but its huge. 14gig. And it has like 40 lessons. 30-35 mins each. Ultimately, its all about practice n learning at ur own pace. And know what motivates u. Classical music motivates me, and it made me realize how simple contemporary music is to play. But its all good sha. Practice practice practice. Start from somewhere. The Bass and Treble clef will do.

2 Likes

Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Nobody: 5:15pm On Jul 28, 2014
One more thing, more emphasis should be placed on knowing how to play and learning the various chords and key signatures and all. The major, minor, etc, and don't emphasize much on progressions. There are thousands of progressions out there, but ultimately go with what feels good to u- improvisation.
As for voicing, its all about practicing and finding out what u like. Its like discovery. Personally, I like songs in keys of D and F.
Then the scales! I can't emphasize that enough. I literarily wrote out the 24 scales on paper and mastered how to play them on both hands, mostly right hand sha. Though I'm a leftie, I can't really translate it to playing piano, so seems my right hand is stronger when playing. So, as for the scales, the Circle of Fifths ultimately helps. And the shortcut rules. FCGDAEB, for treble clef, the reverse for bass clef. These are the elementary things which are strong building blocks. So, before u start hitting the transpose button, try and learn this way first. Its like driving a manual, so automatic becomes easier, and u become even better. You can hear C dom 9, E flat 6, and sharply/quickly make the connections. Its all in the theory. And a bit of maths involved, yeah! Sorry, if u don't like maths, u might not enjoy music theory much, that's a fact.
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Dramadiddy(m): 8:12pm On Jul 28, 2014
jcgodfrey: Hi guys. Nice thread. Very informative. I'm a learner/intermediate. For the guys who play contemporary n wanna know more, its easier if u know the theory n can read music, not necessarily being a guru in sight-reading, nah, but just know what means what, the chord shapes on paper, all that. You probably can play a song by ear or feel, but if u know how to read music, then u can pick up any sheet music of any artiste and learn more efficiently, faster, and more precisely! There are lots of materials out there. Personally, I started with "Piano for dummies". Then advanced to others. There are also video tutorials online. I got one from torrent, but its huge. 14gig. And it has like 40 lessons. 30-35 mins each. Ultimately, its all about practice n learning at ur own pace. And know what motivates u. Classical music motivates me, and it made me realize how simple contemporary music is to play. But its all good sha. Practice practice practice. Start from somewhere. The Bass and Treble clef will do.
Uh oh..Bro I dont agree there...the most advanced musicians are jazz musicians not classical musician, I can argue this with you for years lol...Even gospel music is more advanced than classical music...classical music is veeeeeeeerrrry basic...

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Nobody: 10:25pm On Jul 28, 2014
Dramadiddy: Uh oh..Bro I dont agree there...the most advanced musicians are jazz musicians not classical musician, I can argue this with you for years lol...Even gospel music is more advanced than classical music...classical music is veeeeeeeerrrry basic...

Oh well, you've been listening to the veeeeeeeerrrrry basic classical songs then.
Jazz music is 90% improvisation, hence played from a personal perspective.
Gospel and contemporary music is mostly chord based, just like pop/r n b. Nothing overtly complex there. You compose a song, and u match it to matching chords, and improvise along the way if you want to.
But classical music is veeeerrrrryyyy different. Besides Beethoven's Fur Elise and Moonlight Sonata(1st movement) which are the simple ones for the most part(try the melodic run in Fur Elise and see how long it'll take u to perfect it). The 3rd movement of Moonlight Sonata is 7 minutes long and it'll take u nothing less than 3 years of solid piano experience, and very fast finger coordination to even attempt learning to play it. I'm not even gonna mention Liszt or Rachmaninof pieces. I have a hard time with Bach already. And lastly, you can escape not knowing some theory in contemporary/gospel, but in classical, your music theory game and sight-reading must be tight, or else, oyo lowa.

2 Likes

Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Nobody: 10:54pm On Jul 28, 2014
I like Jazz music, don't get me wrong. I watched a video of Art Tatum, I dunno if u know him. He's regarded as one of the foremost Jazz pianist of all time. Watching him play is intimidating. And he plays like its effortless! Anyways, mostly its improv. And Jazz music is good for teaching improv. Jazz confuses me a lot though. Lol. But Jazz has its root in classical.
Classical has a lot to do with melodic movements over long periods, so u get to learn about intervals, broken chords, arpeggios, and a lot of scale work as you learn pieces. So its like a piano workout.
A lot of classical pieces are slow, but the fast ones are almost impossible for amateurs to play! E.g. Handel's "the arrival of the Queen of Sheba." But then, its not in the speed, but in what's being played, the techniques, the runs, the relationship between different keys and stuff.
Gospel/church music plays on other modes apart from the normal Aeolian mode(C major-ttsttts). Uses Phrygian and Dorian mode/scale (using D instead of C as a scale basis- D-D- tstttst)...so it sounds different. Lol. Once u know these little things, they become easier to learn.
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by ONWARDBABA: 11:35pm On Jul 28, 2014
jcgodfrey: Hi guys. Nice thread. Very informative. I'm a learner/intermediate. For the guys who play contemporary n wanna know more, its easier if u know the theory n can read music, not necessarily being a guru in sight-reading, nah, but just know what means what, the chord shapes on paper, all that. You probably can play a song by ear or feel, but if u know how to read music, then u can pick up any sheet music of any artiste and learn more efficiently, faster, and more precisely! There are lots of materials out there. Personally, I started with "Piano for dummies". Then advanced to others. There are also video tutorials online. I got one from torrent, but its huge. 14gig. And it has like 40 lessons. 30-35 mins each. Ultimately, its all about practice n learning at ur own pace. And know what motivates u. Classical music motivates me, and it made me realize how simple contemporary music is to play. But its all good sha. Practice practice practice. Start from somewhere. The Bass and Treble clef will do.
great very expiring plz where d i get dis i ned i must n matter hw huge plz the site tanx
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Nobody: 3:40am On Jul 29, 2014
ONWARDBABA:
great very expiring plz where d i get dis i ned i must n matter hw huge plz the site tanx

U can get it on kickasstorrent.com or kickassto.com, I believe. Or just google kickasstorrent, it will take u there. And search for "Learn and Master Piano." That's the name of the file/programme.

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Dramadiddy(m): 4:45am On Jul 29, 2014
jcgodfrey:

Oh well, you've been listening to the veeeeeeeerrrrry basic classical songs then.
Jazz music is 90% improvisation, hence played from a personal perspective.
Gospel and contemporary music is mostly chord based, just like pop/r n b. Nothing overtly complex there. You compose a song, and u match it to matching chords, and improvise along the way if you want to.
But classical music is veeeerrrrryyyy different. Besides Beethoven's Fur Elise and Moonlight Sonata(1st movement) which are the simple ones for the most part(try the melodic run in Fur Elise and see how long it'll take u to perfect it). The 3rd movement of Moonlight Sonata is 7 minutes long and it'll take u nothing less than 3 years of solid piano experience, and very fast finger coordination to even attempt learning to play it. I'm not even gonna mention Liszt or Rachmaninof pieces. I have a hard time with Bach already. And lastly, you can escape not knowing some theory in contemporary/gospel, but in classical, your music theory game and sight-reading must be tight, or else, oyo lowa.
Lol baba I know there are some really tough classical songs, I've heard maple leaf nd bumblebee to mention a few, yeah theyre tough but theyre based on the basics, Am I wrong?..Being a good player of one of d two(classical/jazz) will stll make you sound impressive but Jazz is more recognised all around the world
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by ONWARDBABA: 3:58pm On Jul 29, 2014
jcgodfrey:

U can get it on kickasstorrent.com or kickassto.com, I believe. Or just google kickasstorrent, it will take u there. And search for "Learn and Master Piano." That's the name of the file/programme.
tanx a lot I wil start work on it dis nite I hope it help my church drum not availbe so I ned serious beats for my ch praises
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Giannakopoulos(f): 11:53am On Jul 30, 2014
Dramadiddy: Lol baba I know there are some really tough classical songs, I've heard maple leaf nd bumblebee to mention a few, yeah theyre tough but theyre based on the basics, Am I wrong?..Being a good player of one of d two(classical/jazz) will stll make you sound impressive but Jazz is more recognised all around the world
pls which site apart from youtube can I download free piano lessons
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Nobody: 2:09pm On Jul 30, 2014
Dramadiddy: Lol baba I know there are some really tough classical songs, I've heard maple leaf nd bumblebee to mention a few, yeah theyre tough but theyre based on the basics, Am I wrong?..Being a good player of one of d two(classical/jazz) will stll make you sound impressive but Jazz is more recognised all around the world

By "based on the basics", u mean they play by the book. Partially true. Every kind of music is based on these basics, but I get your point. Jazz employs a lot of IMPROVISATION. So the way Dramadiddy plays a song will be different to the way I play the song, but listeners will knows its the same song.
Only difference is classical music seems to be "set in stone", as in, everyone plays the piece as its written. But even so, u can vary it a bit. And in some pieces, mostly towards the middle and ending, the composer introduces his own improv, and u can do urs too.
But u gotta practice a lot to be good in Jazz, and those basics, u must sabi am wella o. No be small tin. Lol. The basics are not even the hard part. Its how u combine chords, and then RHYTHM ( SYNCOPATION is a big part of rhythm in Jazz). U must learn all these things.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (73) (Reply)

Romantic Yoruba Songs / Download Mp3: Wiz Khalifa - Something New Ft. Ty Dolla $ign / Play And Download Music Video For Free @ Www.naijamusic.net

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.