Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,399 members, 7,815,872 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:56 PM

A Thread For Keyboardists - Music/Radio (67) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / A Thread For Keyboardists (195682 Views)

Help Me With The Use Of Deminished Chord My Fellow Keyboardists. / Instrumentalists And Musicians (keyboardists, Drummers, Bassist: Etc) / *****all Keyboardists/pianists/interested Folks, Click Here!***** (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (64) (65) (66) (67) (68) (69) (70) ... (73) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Pianistsegz200(m): 4:23pm On Mar 24, 2016
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Pianistsegz200(m): 4:50am On Mar 25, 2016
Left Handed Jazz Chord Voicing
251'
Eb/ 2. GBbCEb(G) 5. G Bb C D(F) 1. F G Bb D(Bb)

G/ 2. GBCE(B) 5. F# B C E(A) 1. F# A B D(D)

B/ 2. EAbBEb(Eb) 5. E Ab Bb Eb (Db)1. EbGbAbDb(F#)

The respective Melody Notes for the right hand are written inside the brackets beside each chords...{Take ur time to digest all}
...Follow on Instagram @johnsonkeyz...
Jkeys Cares
Enjoy

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Pianistsegz200(m): 4:51am On Mar 25, 2016
GoodNews!!! For Intermediate and Advanced Piano player/Musicians...The Very much awaited "Advanced Piano Tutorial Course DVD by Johnsonkeyz" is finally out for sale in two modes HardCopy(#DVD) and Softcopy available to Google Drive Users...It's comprises of 9 sessions featuring Practically taught application of Tritone, Quartals, Diatones,Jazz Chords, Contemporary left handed Chords, Runs, Fills, Phat Chords and Bonus Track "How to play the Salsa Beat"...
The DVD both Hardcopy/Softcopy also comes with a well detailed CHORD SHEET pdf which contains theoretical backings to everything taught in the Video...will be sent to Ur Mail
Trust Me U don't want to Miss this Package
The Trailer link on youtube Check:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQnBi1tTB80

To Purchase DVD or Soft copy on (GoogleDrive) available for people in Nigeria and outside Nigeria
Contact Johnsonkeyz
Tel No:+2347037367597
+2348110835146
WhatsApp :+2347037367597
Instagram: @johnsonkeyz
Twitter: @johnsonkeyz
Facebook Page: https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=934404249903763&refid=52&ref=m_notif&notif_t=like&__tn__=C

IT's Time to take Your Piano playing to the Level after the next level
Grab Ur Copy Now!!!!!!!
Please Rebroadcast
Shalom
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Crownylord(m): 12:03pm On Apr 06, 2016
Pls i want someone to explain exactly what "HARMONY" button works for? @pianistsegz200,@Dramaddidy,@gameboi and any other person
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Feelingfree: 2:50pm On Apr 09, 2016
Dramadiddy:
elepian cp-20
I stay in calabar. I'd like to buy something like what you have. 50k is available. Is it possible? How is the piano sound and are the keys weighted? Pls respond
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Dramadiddy(m): 3:02pm On Apr 09, 2016
Feelingfree:

I stay in calabar. I'd like to buy something like what you have. 50k is available. Is it possible? How is the piano sound and are the keys weighted? Pls respond
okay add me on whatsapp 08071395807

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Loluores: 7:54pm On Apr 12, 2016
Interesting thread. Loluores in the house.

What kinds of problems do you have in your piano playing, learning, practising, and learning music in general?

Shoot me a reply, guys, lemme know how I can help.
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Feelingfree: 7:01am On Apr 13, 2016
Loluores:
Interesting thread. Loluores in the house.

What kinds of problems do you have in your piano playing, learning, practising, and learning music in general?

Shoot me a reply, guys, lemme know how I can help.

How do u use tritones while playing gospel.
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Loluores: 1:17pm On Apr 13, 2016
Feelingfree:

How do u use tritones while playing gospel.

Choi, such a wide question, where do I even start?! I will provide both theory and practice, with some balance, I hope.

Aiit, first of all, a tritone is an interval inside the basic dominant 7th chord (1 3 5 b7)... the distance between 3 and b7 (or b7 and 3, which is the same thing). The short answer to your question is, use the tritone wherever you use the dominant 7th. Most common places in a song you can use it, is in any form of 2-5-1 progression, major or minor (mostly at the 5, sometimes at the 2 or at the 1 position.)

The next thing you wanna then know is, how do you VOICE a 7th chord with your two hands? It is the VOICING that is key, that's what will make your playing sound cool. So I'll give it to you, here's the formula.

I'll first explain how to play it when you're playing solo (without a bassist), which will include playing the root note.

The left hand (LH) plays root (1) and 3, 1 and b7, or 1 and tritone, as follows:

1 3 (or 1 10 if you can stretch your LH that wide. Hint: stretching is the real secret to phatness smiley ) e.g. C E

1 b7 e.g C Bb

1 and tritone:

1 3 b7 e.g. C E Bb

1 b7 10 e.g. C Bb E

These LH shapes are technically called shells (some people call them power chords, na dem sabi.) They are the foundation or skeleton of your chord voicing. Practise them on all 12 keys.

You can also play tritones without the root (e.g. with a bassist, or when playing LH strides.) You just play the two notes: 3 b7 or b7 3, and your RH plays other things. There is more to this though, talking about LH 'comp' chord voicings (called types A and B rootless voicings.) I'll talk about this later, with some pictures of my hand holding the notes.

Once you have all of this down, your RH is then free to complete the chord voicing in various ways, which I'll also explain in my next post (talking about upper structures and stuff).

Hope this helps a little... lemme get your feedback, cuz I'm not sure of how much to include in here, it's a vast topic. Depends on how much you already know or what specific area you want to know. It seems some people have posted on this in earlier posts also.

2 Likes

Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Feelingfree: 1:39pm On Apr 13, 2016
Loluores:

Choi, such a wide question, where do I even start?! I will provide both theory and practice, with some balance, I hope.

Aiit, first of all, a tritone is an interval inside the basic dominant 7th chord (1 3 5 b7)... the distance between 3 and b7 (or b7 and 3, which is the same thing). The short answer to your question is, use the tritone wherever you use the dominant 7th. Most common places in a song you can use it, is in any form of 2-5-1 progression, major or minor (mostly at the 5, sometimes at the 2 or at the 1 position.)

The next thing you wanna then know is, how do you VOICE a 7th chord with your two hands? It is the VOICING that is key, that's what will make your playing sound cool. So I'll give it to you, here's the formula.

I'll first explain how to play it when you're playing solo (without a bassist), which will include playing the root note.

The left hand (LH) plays root (1) and 3, 1 and b7, or 1 and tritone, as follows:

1 3 (or 1 10 if you can stretch your LH that wide. Hint: stretching is the real secret to phatness smiley ) e.g. C E

1 b7 e.g C Bb

1 and tritone:

1 3 b7 e.g. C E Bb

1 b7 10 e.g. C Bb E

These LH shapes are technically called shells (some people call them power chords, na dem sabi.) They are the foundation or skeleton of your chord voicing. Practise them on all 12 keys.

You can also play tritones without the root (e.g. with a bassist, or when playing LH strides.) You just play the two notes: 3 b7 or b7 3, and your RH plays other things. There is more to this though, talking about LH 'comp' chord voicings (called types A and B rootless voicings.) I'll talk about this later, with some pictures of my hand holding the notes.

Once you have all of this down, your RH is then free to complete the chord voicing in various ways, which I'll also explain in my next post (talking about upper structures and stuff).

Hope this helps a little... lemme get your feedback, cuz I'm not sure of how much to include in here, it's a vast topic. Depends on how much you already know or what specific area you want to know. It seems some people have posted on this in earlier posts also.

Thanks for the xplanation. I would appreciate specific examples. I want the practical use. I know a lil abt them theoretically but wanto know how u use them. What type of triad do u choose to play on the right hand since virtually any major tirad can be played. I'd love sweet sounding examples i can apply. Thanks a lot
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Loluores: 12:11am On Apr 19, 2016
Feelingfree:

Thanks for the xplanation. I would appreciate specific examples. I want the practical use. I know a lil abt them theoretically but wanto know how u use them. What type of triad do u choose to play on the right hand since virtually any major tirad can be played. I'd love sweet sounding examples i can apply. Thanks a lot

Aiit. To begin, you have to master the 2-5-1 progression. Specifically the minor 2-5-1, where the 1 is some kind of a minor chord. Examples would be:

7-3-6 (t m l)
3-6-2 (m l r)
#4-7-3 (fe t m)
Even 6-2-5 (l r s) which leads up to a 5-1-4 (s d f, a major 2-5-1 in this case) e.g. l r s d f.

In all these minor 2-5-1s, the 5s can be played with a tritone, or a tritone-based rootless voicing, on the left hand, and an upper structure on the right hand. The most popular chord here in gospel piano is by far, the altered 7th (specifically 7#9#5 chord), analysed below.

LH / RH

1. Tritone / Triad of the #5.
A. 3 b7 / #9 #5 1 (2nd inversion triad)
B. 3 b7 / #9 #5 1 #9' (2nd inversion, octave)
C. b7 3 / #5 1 #9 (root triad)

2. Extended tritone / Triad of the #5.
A. 3 b7 #9 / #5 1 #9
B. b7 3 #5 / #9 #5 1
C. b7 3 #5 / #9 #5 1 #9'

Note, 1B and 2A are the same, just different fingerings. The RH triads are specifically built on the #5 as the root. Notice there is no 1st inversion of any triad there, just the root and 2nd inversions. It's not wrong to play the 1st inversion, it's just not as sweet.

Another thing: the extended tritone LH voicings have 3 notes. A fourth note could be added at the second position from the bottom to complete the chord, as follows:

2A. 3 b7 #9 + #5 = 3 (#5) b7 #9
2B/2C. b7 3 #5 + #9 = b7 (#9) 3 #5

Now, on to examples of minor 2-5-1s, in solfa notation for ease of understanding. I highlighted the tritones in bold.

Bass / LH / RH

1. 7-3-6 (practise on keys Bb to E, as in Bb,B,C,C#,D,Eb,E)

t / l r f / l r f (m7b5)

m / se (d) r s / d m s (compare 2A above)

l / s t d m / t r (m11)

OR (practise on keys F to A)

t / re l / r f (another kind of tritone 7th chord, 7#9b5)

m / r se / d m s (1C above)

l / d m s t / r s t (m11)

2. #4 7 3 (play this song on keys F to A, melody in italics.)

f / d m s l / r m l (M9(13)) In

d Your

fe / m se r / m t pre-

fe / m t d / m l d (m7b5(add11)) -sence

t / re l / r s t r' (1B above) there

t is

m / r (fe) s t / r fe l (m11) lii-...

s -iife

(The #4 chord on the 'pre-' is actually a passing chord based on the Locrian #2 mode, if you understand the theory.)

3. 3-6-2 (keys F to A)

m / r fe s t / r fe l (m11)

l / de s / d f l (d') (1B above)

r / d m f l / d m s (m11)

OR

l / de f s d/ f l d (2A above)

(These 3-6-2 voicings are very, very common in gospel piano. Even the m11 chords have triads, in this case root triads, in their upper structure.)

OR (keys Bb to E)

m / s t r fe / l r fe l' (m11)

l / s (d) de f / d f l d' (2C above)

r / f l d m / m l m' (m11)

(Notice the octave RH upper structures, which give very good sounds.)

4. 6-2-5-1-4 on keys F to B

l / de s / d f l (1A above)

r / d fe / t m se t' (13#11)

s / ta r f l / d f l d' (m11)

d / ta r m l / r s l r' (13)

f / d m s l / r s d m' (M9(13))

(Note that the 2 chord is NOT a 7#9#5 really, but it has the same shape. I'll leave it for you to figure out the theory, but it's easy to understand if you see it as a tritone substitution, or if you recognise the relationship between the super-locrian and the lydian dominant as tritone subs. One hint: the bass could be b6 (se) instead of 2 (r)).

Okay, hope this lil' introduction goes a long way in clearing up tritones and their use. So, practise the examples and lemme know what you think.

3 Likes

Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by bstringz(m): 1:28pm On Apr 19, 2016

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Feelingfree: 8:21pm On Apr 19, 2016
Loluores:

Aiit. To begin, you have to master the 2-5-1 progression. Specifically the minor 2-5-1, where the 1 is some kind of a minor chord. Examples would be:

7-3-6 (t m l)
3-6-2 (m l r)
#4-7-3 (fe t m)
Even 6-2-5 (l r s) which leads up to a 5-1-4 (s d f, a major 2-5-1 in this case) e.g. l r s d f.

In all these minor 2-5-1s, the 5s can be played with a tritone, or a tritone-based rootless voicing, on the left hand, and an upper structure on the right hand. The most popular chord here in gospel piano is by far, the altered 7th (specifically 7#9#5 chord), analysed below.

LH / RH

1. Tritone / Triad of the #5.
A. 3 b7 / #9 #5 1 (2nd inversion triad)
B. 3 b7 / #9 #5 1 #9' (2nd inversion, octave)
C. b7 3 / #5 1 #9 (root triad)

2. Extended tritone / Triad of the #5.
A. 3 b7 #9 / #5 1 #9
B. b7 3 #5 / #9 #5 1
C. b7 3 #5 / #9 #5 1 #9'

Note, 1B and 2A are the same, just different fingerings. The RH triads are specifically built on the #5 as the root. Notice there is no 1st inversion of any triad there, just the root and 2nd inversions. It's not wrong to play the 1st inversion, it's just not as sweet.

Another thing: the extended tritone LH voicings have 3 notes. A fourth note could be added at the second position from the bottom to complete the chord, as follows:

2A. 3 b7 #9 + #5 = 3 (#5) b7 #9
2B/2C. b7 3 #5 + #9 = b7 (#9) 3 #5

Now, on to examples of minor 2-5-1s, in solfa notation for ease of understanding. I highlighted the tritones in bold.

Bass / LH / RH

1. 7-3-6 (practise on keys Bb to E, as in Bb,B,C,C#,D,Eb,E)

t / l r f / l r f (m7b5)

m / se (d) r s / d m s (compare 2A above)

l / s t d m / t r (m11)

OR (practise on keys F to A)

t / re l / r f (another kind of tritone 7th chord, 7#9b5)

m / r se / d m s (1C above)

l / d m s t / r s t (m11)

2. #4 7 3 (play this song on keys F to A, melody in italics.)

f / d m s l / r m l (M9(13)) In

d Your

fe / m se r / m t pre-

fe / m t d / m l d (m7b5(add11)) -sence

t / re l / r s t r' (1B above) there

t is

m / r (fe) s t / r fe l (m11) lii-...

s -iife

(The #4 chord on the 'pre-' is actually a passing chord based on the Locrian #2 mode, if you understand the theory.)

3. 3-6-2 (keys F to A)

l / de s / d f l (d') (1B above)

OR

l / de f s d/ f l d (2A above)

(These 3-6-2 voicings are very, very common in gospel piano. Even the m11 chords have triads, in this case root triads, in their upper structure.)

OR (keys Bb to E)

m / s t r fe / l r fe l' (m11)

l / s (d) de f / d f l d' (2C above)

r / f l d m / m l m' (m11)

(Notice the octave RH upper structures, which give very good sounds.)

4. 6-2-5-1-4 on keys F to B

l / de s / d f l (1A above)

r / d fe / t m se t' (13#11)

s / ta r f l / d f l d' (m11)

d / ta r m l / r s l r' (13)

f / d m s l / r s d m' (M9(13))

(Note that the 2 chord is NOT a 7#9#5 really, but it has the same shape. I'll leave it for you to figure out the theory, but it's easy to understand if you see it as a tritone substitution, or if you recognise the relationship between the super-locrian and the lydian dominant as tritone subs. One hint: the bass could be b6 (se) instead of 2 (r)).

Okay, hope this lil' introduction goes a long way in clearing up tritones and their use. So, practise the examples and lemme know what you think.

Perfect. Such dedication. God bless you. Have something to practise now
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by justright2015(m): 10:33pm On Apr 19, 2016
Having knowledge [i][/i]of tonic solfa is an essential skills for both singers and instrumentalist alike. Without this knowing, composing and playing classical music or gospel hymns could be very difficult. Take for example the RCCG Sunday School Hymn which I have arranged and sung, see the attached video. Tonic sola is just simple, doh, de, ray, re, me, fah, fe, soh, se, lah, le, t, d. For some persons I know, it is normally d, r, m, f, s, l, t, d. Yes but I just introduced the minors when ascending the scale. Each of the above notes has itsr particular frequency when played or sung for a particular key, eg C, D, E, etc. To be able to sing the note, d ,r , m, e.t.c. in any key, it is just practice using a keyboard to get the sound of each notes. A recorder is cheap to buy to use for this practice or you can download online keyboard softwares into your phone, android, etc and play and listen to them before singing. If you can have access to any keyboard or own one, then learning the sound of each of the notes for any key is worth learning. Go to www.playhymns.quickmusicskills.com or www.quickmusicskills. for further help or content on this.

gospelpet
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Mightyguy(m): 2:13am On Apr 20, 2016
Pianistsegz200:
GoodNews!!! For Intermediate and Advanced Piano player/Musicians...The Very much awaited "Advanced Piano Tutorial Course DVD by Johnsonkeyz" is finally out for sale in two modes HardCopy(#DVD) and Softcopy available to Google Drive Users...It's comprises of 9 sessions featuring Practically taught application of Tritone, Quartals, Diatones,Jazz Chords, Contemporary left handed Chords, Runs, Fills, Phat Chords and Bonus Track "How to play the Salsa Beat"...
The DVD both Hardcopy/Softcopy also comes with a well detailed CHORD SHEET pdf which contains theoretical backings to everything taught in the Video...will be sent to Ur Mail
Trust Me U don't want to Miss this Package
The Trailer link on youtube Check:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQnBi1tTB80

To Purchase DVD or Soft copy on (GoogleDrive) available for people in Nigeria and outside Nigeria
Contact Johnsonkeyz
Tel No:+2347037367597
+2348110835146
WhatsApp :+2347037367597
Facebook Page: https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=934404249903763&refid=52&ref=m_notif&notif_t=like&__tn__=C

IT's Time to take Your Piano playing to the Level after the next level
Grab Ur Copy Now!!!!!!!
Please Rebroadcast
Shalom
Dat kul bro, @,wat, price??
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Pianistsegz200(m): 8:44pm On Apr 20, 2016
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Pianistsegz200(m): 8:45pm On Apr 20, 2016
Mightyguy:
Dat kul bro, @,wat, price??

Good day
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Maxiebrown(m): 11:05pm On Apr 20, 2016
Luluores and pianistsegz, pls I need ur numbers.. preferably whatsapp nos.. tnx guyz..
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Pianistsegz200(m): 2:32pm On May 06, 2016
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by abolem369(m): 2:14pm On May 11, 2016
ARMP Studio is set in osogbo, any body in osogbo........
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Pianistsegz200(m): 11:03pm On May 12, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmmRU_aQ5EM

Watch nd Enjoy
Killing it softly
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by shinx91: 9:22am On May 13, 2016
Omo people don dull ooooo the latest jam by Nano_Sharay and maxiola is out now.

It is "SHAKARA" by Nano ft Maxiola DOWNLOAD NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://247media.com.ng/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/shakara_Nano-ft.-Max_KunseptMix.mp3

Guys pls help out I really need this song 2 go viral pls help spread the song so it will trend on all social media platforms

Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by abolem369(m): 7:47pm On May 15, 2016
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Pianistsegz200(m): 7:50pm On May 24, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARzNQatEh_g

#Freshest Post
Watch Enjoy nd dint forget to share
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by ozi16: 6:21am On May 25, 2016
Pianistsegz200:

#Freshest Post
pls what is d voicing u used 4 d highlife sound
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by EzePromoe: 7:26am On May 25, 2016
Pianistsegz200:

#Freshest Post
Please post links to more of your lessons on Key F. I'll appreciate.
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Loluores: 8:00pm On May 26, 2016
Ask your musical questions, guys, I'll provide tips, guidelines and exercises.

From time to time I'll drop in a few lessons.

Happy music making.

Loluores.
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Feelingfree: 7:45am On May 27, 2016
Loluores:
Ask your musical questions, guys, I'll provide tips, guidelines and exercises.

From time to time I'll drop in a few lessons.

Happy music making.

Loluores.

Thanks again for ur explanation on tritones and application.

My QUESTION today is tips/exercises on how to add bass runs/licks while playing bass line progressions for gospel on keyboard eg while playing circle of fourths

This is to help fill spaces and avoid sitting too long on a single bass

I hope the question is clear

Expecting ur reply earnestly
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Pianistsegz200(m): 11:16pm On May 30, 2016
ozi16:
pls what is d voicing u used 4 d highlife sound

E piano 2
On
Roland Synthesizer
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Pianistsegz200(m): 11:18pm On May 30, 2016
EzePromoe:

Please post links to more of your lessons on Key F. I'll appreciate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJaZfXXxAKI

Watching on youtube will definitely make the other videos come up
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by Pianistsegz200(m): 11:21pm On May 30, 2016
It's Finally Out for sale...The New Advanced Piano Tutorial DVD series 2 Reloaded by Johnsonkeyz
Courses Including

1. Theory and Secrets of Re- harmonisation and Chord substitutions
2. Advanced Passing Chords

3. Applications of runs,fills and worship licks to worship songs

4. Playing the melody of any given worship song using chords
5. Nigeria Praise Grooves Jam(Full Version)

6. Practical sessions with As the Deer and some other songs
7. Lessons on Hymns

8. Bonus Track (including Jazz Standards Spain by Chick Corea and Giant Steps)...
It's available in Hardcopy and Softcopy for buyers outside Nigeria
To grab your Copy at an affordable price
Contact Johnsonkeyz via:
Call or whatsapp +2347037367597
It's too loaded to be ignored ...
Kindly Rebroadcast
Re: A Thread For Keyboardists by pharmsamy: 2:06am On May 31, 2016
Can anyone help me with the solfa notes of oghene doh by Frank edwards

(1) (2) (3) ... (64) (65) (66) (67) (68) (69) (70) ... (73) (Reply)

Romantic Yoruba Songs / Download Mp3: Wiz Khalifa - Something New Ft. Ty Dolla $ign / Play And Download Music Video For Free @ Www.naijamusic.net

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.