Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,750 members, 7,824,158 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:17 AM

Marriage To A Non-muslim - Islam for Muslims (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Marriage To A Non-muslim (6435 Views)

Why Do Non-Muslim Terrorists Get Little Press Coverage? / Conversation Between A Non Muslim And A Muslim Cleric / Muslims Voting In Elections In Non-muslim Countries - Fatwa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Marriage To A Non-muslim by Fulaman198(m): 1:41pm On Jul 20, 2014
tbaba1234:

You are Muslim but how much of your views are shaped by Islam.

Muslim means one who submits to the will of God.

This means that for a muslim, even his choices are guided by Islam. You have the choice to drink alcohol but for the Muslim, that option is out of the table.

The same goes for every instruction in the book.

I'm a Muslim, but most of my views are shaped by life experiences and the fact that God gave me a brain and heart to use to make judgments that I believe are justifiable for me.

We live in such a progressive and ever advancing educated world now. Whom one marries should be of no concern. I have seen marriages where 2 people are of different religious affiliations and it worked quite well.

Nigeria needs to stop placing so much emphasis on religion and more emphasis on education, technological advances, science and math.

Where has religion taken any advanced or advancing society in this world? Religion is good, I agree but when we limit ourselves to just our own people then we create a segregated non-harmonious world. People are meant to come together, not be divided.

6 Likes

Re: Marriage To A Non-muslim by Sissie(f): 2:13pm On Jul 20, 2014
@fulaman198 will you marry someone who isn't fulani and has no interest in your culture?

1 Like

Re: Marriage To A Non-muslim by Fulaman198(m): 2:15pm On Jul 20, 2014
Sissie: @fulaman198 will you marry someone who isn't fulani and has no interest in your culture?

I would marry a non-Fulani, but I would like her to have some interest in my culture because ideally I would like me children to speak Fulfulde

1 Like

Re: Marriage To A Non-muslim by tbaba1234: 2:42pm On Jul 20, 2014
Fulaman198:

I'm a Muslim, but most of my views are shaped by life experiences and the fact that God gave me a brain and heart to use to make judgments that I believe are justifiable for me.

We live in such a progressive and ever advancing educated world now. Whom one marries should be of no concern. I have seen marriages where 2 people are of different religious affiliations and it worked quite well.

Nigeria needs to stop placing so much emphasis on religion and more emphasis on education, technological advances, science and math.

Where has religion taken any advanced or advancing society in this world? Religion is good, I agree but when we limit ourselves to just our own people then we create a segregated non-harmonious world. People are meant to come together, not be divided.

First, a muslim is an action word which requires constant submission to God's instructions. Islam also requires you to think and use your intellect in all things, infact it is a requirement for the muslim. How many things does the Quran tell the muslim to use his reason?

However, like everything we have our limits. When we come to the realisation of Islam as truth using both intellectect and our hearts, we submit to clear instructions in it.

Look back at your islamic history and you will find that Islam fed innovation when the world was steeped in darkness. From algebra, which was inspired by the islamic inheritance laws, to algorithms, medicine, mathematics etc. You will discover that the men behind some of the greatest innovations were also religious men.

We are expected as muslim to be vast in both revealed knowledge and acquired knowledge(like science,maths etc) This is what makes a balanced muslim. We do not sacrifice one for the other. Apparently, the early muslims understood this. The prophet told us that wisdom is the lost property of the believer. We are expected to chase knowledge like we lost something.

Unfortunately, what we have are too extremes, people who are so secular and know very little about Islam or people so religious that have no Idea how the world works. We are expected to have a balance. Both knowledge were praised in the Quran, I think you are leaning towards one extreme.

As muslims, we are expected to engage in society and make things better but we are also expected to remember our main purpose of existence which is service to God. Every other thing is secondary to this purpose. We know also that there is an existence after this.
Re: Marriage To A Non-muslim by ameenahz(f): 2:54pm On Jul 20, 2014
Fulaman198:

People are meant to come together, that is why Allah has said:

Made you into nations & tribes.Allah says, “O mankind! We created you from a single (pair) of a male & a female, & made you into nations & tribes, that ye may know each other (not that ye may despise (each other). Verily the most honoured of you in the sight of Allah is (he who is) the most righteous of you. And Allah has full knowledge & is well acquainted (with all things).” [Al-Hujurat 49:13].

I said it in my last post that i would have married an Asian muslim if i found 1. Look at what you see when muslims go on hajj. Millions of muslims, black, white, every nation and tribe all together for the purpose of serving Allah. What coming unification could be greater than than?

However, the family is the most important means of propagating Islam and we should recognise and accept the fact that unity in the society starts from unity in the family, including in the religion its members practise.

Besides, see this again:

"It is not for a believing man or a believing woman, when Allah and His Messenger have decided a matter, that they should [thereafter] have any choice about their affair. And whoever disobeys Allah and His Messenger has certainly strayed into clear error". [The Holy Quran (33:36)]

Let us even put our own explanations aside. You are a muslim. You should accept Islam in its totality. Laws and all. As much as you have a brain to reason (i do too, and i have chosen to see the wisdom in not marrying a non muslim), you should also accept the fact that Allah's verdict superceeds whatever explanation or logic or choice you may think you have.
Re: Marriage To A Non-muslim by ameenahz(f): 3:00pm On Jul 20, 2014
Fulaman198,

i think you should start a thread on those beliefs you have that people find odd. I'm curious.
Re: Marriage To A Non-muslim by Fulaman198(m): 3:08pm On Jul 20, 2014
ameenahz: Fulaman198,

i think you should start a thread on those beliefs you have that people find odd. I'm curious.

I will in due time
Re: Marriage To A Non-muslim by Fulaman198(m): 3:13pm On Jul 20, 2014
tbaba1234:

First, a muslim is an action word which requires constant submission to God's instructions. Islam also requires you to think and use your intellect in all things, infact it is a requirement for the muslim. How many things does the Quran tell the muslim to use his reason?

However, like everything we have our limits. When we come to the realisation of Islam as truth using both intellectect and our hearts, we submit to clear instructions in it.

Look back at your islamic history and you will find that Islam fed innovation when the world was steeped in darkness. From algebra, which was inspired by the islamic inheritance laws, to algorithms, medicine, mathematics etc. You will discover that the men behind some of the greatest innovations were also religious men.

We are expected as muslim to be vast in both revealed knowledge and acquired knowledge(like science,maths etc) This is what makes a balanced muslim. We do not sacrifice one for the other. Apparently, the early muslims understood this. The prophet told us that wisdom is the lost property of the believer. We are expected to chase knowledge like we lost something.

Unfortunately, what we have are too extremes, people who are so secular and know very little about Islam or people so religious that have no Idea how the world works. We are expected to have a balance. Both knowledge were praised in the Quran, I think you are leaning towards one extreme.

As muslims, we are expected to engage in society and make things better but we are also expected to remember our main purpose of existence which is service to God. Every other thing is secondary to this purpose. We know also that there is an existence after this.

You probably think I am leaning to a more secular side of Islam which is true, I am.

I don't party, I don't have physical sexual contact before marriage, I don't drink, etc. However, I am still under the belief that marrying a non-Muslimah is not a bad thing and vice versa. One should marry based on their emotions and feelings for someone, not religion.

How is marrying someone based on their religious status any different from marrying someone based on their fiscal status or their job status. Gone are the days of true love I believe. We live in such a cold and judgmental world now. I will be back phone is going to die

4 Likes

Re: Marriage To A Non-muslim by tbaba1234: 3:23pm On Jul 20, 2014
Fulaman198:

You probably think I am leaning to a more secular side of Islam which is true, I am.

I don't party, I don't have physical sexual contact before marriage, I don't drink, etc. However, I am still under the belief that marrying a non-Muslimah is not a bad thing and vice versa. One should marry based on their emotions and feelings for someone, not religion.

How is marrying someone based on their religious status any different from marrying someone based on their fiscal status or their job status. Gone are the days of true love I believe. We live in such a cold and judgmental world now. I will be back phone is going to die

Islam allows a man to marry from the people of the book but not the women.

His wife does not even have to change her faith.

Religion determines a person purpose in life, it is not the same as having money.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Marriage To A Non-muslim by Fulaman198(m): 3:43pm On Jul 20, 2014
tbaba1234:

Islam allows a man to marry from the people of the book but not the women.

His wife does not even have to change her faith.

Religion determines a person purpose in life, it is not the same as having money.

Then that is hypocrisy and showing favouritism towards men. Which in its own right is not correct. Why is it ok for a man to do it and not a woman?

1 Like

Re: Marriage To A Non-muslim by Fulaman198(m): 3:51pm On Jul 20, 2014
ameenahz:

People are meant to come together, that is why Allah has said:

Made you into nations & tribes.Allah says, “O mankind! We created you from a single (pair) of a male & a female, & made you into nations & tribes, that ye may know each other (not that ye may despise (each other). Verily the most honoured of you in the sight of Allah is (he who is) the most righteous of you. And Allah has full knowledge & is well acquainted (with all things).” [Al-Hujurat 49:13].

I said it in my last post that i would have married an Asian muslim if i found 1. Look at what you see when muslims go on hajj. Millions of muslims, black, white, every nation and tribe all together for the purpose of serving Allah. What coming unification could be greater than than?

However, the family is the most important means of propagating Islam and we should recognise and accept the fact that unity in the society starts from unity in the family, including in the religion its members practise.

Besides, see this again:

"It is not for a believing man or a believing woman, when Allah and His Messenger have decided a matter, that they should [thereafter] have any choice about their affair. And whoever disobeys Allah and His Messenger has certainly strayed into clear error". [The Holy Quran (33:36)]

Let us even put our own explanations aside. You are a muslim. You should accept Islam in its totality. Laws and all. As much as you have a brain to reason (i do too, and i have chosen to see the wisdom in not marrying a non muslim), you should also accept the fact that Allah's verdict superceeds whatever explanation or logic or choice you may think you have.

People are meant to come together I agree, but the way you are describing it with the Hajj, which is what a Muslim does seems that is just Muslims coming in contact with one another.

I don't want to elaborate on how I feel about religion, I will keep that to myself. However, I am still under the belief system that human beings don't preach tolerance towards others. It seems to be the case with every religion. "Stick with your own kind", I mean come on we are in the 21st century. If I truly find a Muslim woman who loves me for my heart, and not for looks, or financial status, I will marry her with a second thought. However, it seems that in this modern day and age people get married without knowing the reason why they are marrying in the first place.

Let me elaborate:

1. Marry based of the person's religion (if that person is not the same religious affiliation as you don't give them the light of day). Yet that person could be the person of your dreams.
2. Marry someone based on their profession or fiscal status. It is happening more than ever these days
3. Marry someone based on their outward appearance or physical beauty (nonsense) but we men are guilty of that more than women, though women are doing that now as well.
4. Marry based on your ethnic group/tribe. More nonsense
5. The list goes on and on and on

The reason why human beings are so divided amongst themselves is because of the fact that we look for any little reason to not give someone a chance. It's ridiculous. "Don't marry that person because he/she is black". We all know how black people are seen in the rest of the world, need I elaborate.

4 Likes

Re: Marriage To A Non-muslim by Nobody: 4:04pm On Jul 20, 2014
I don't understand the function of this law? I've seen so many cases where men "convert" expressly for the woman. From what I've seen, it encourages false conversions.
Re: Marriage To A Non-muslim by Nobody: 4:13pm On Jul 20, 2014
Fulaman198:

Beautiful!

2 Likes

Re: Marriage To A Non-muslim by Fulaman198(m): 4:15pm On Jul 20, 2014
EnlightenedSoul:

Beautiful!

Thank you

1 Like

Re: Marriage To A Non-muslim by Nobody: 4:20pm On Jul 20, 2014
Fulaman198:

Thank you

No problem wink

1 Like

Re: Marriage To A Non-muslim by tbaba1234: 4:45pm On Jul 20, 2014
Fulaman198:

Then that is hypocrisy and showing favouritism towards men. Which in its own right is not correct. Why is it ok for a man to do it and not a woman?

What determines what is right??

Without God, there is no standard for objective morality.

Islam offers justice and equity not equality. As equality does not translate to justice.

Example:

A muslim woman do not have to contribute anything to the home upkeep. What she spends is at her discretion. This means that whatever she earns either from work or inheritance is for to decide what to do with it.

A muslim man is the designated head of the home and is obliged to spend in it.

Do you also consider this favouritism against men??

1 Like

Re: Marriage To A Non-muslim by Nobody: 5:00pm On Jul 20, 2014
tbaba1234:

Islam offers justice and equity not equality. As equality does not translate to justice.

Example:

A muslim woman do not have to contribute anything to the home upkeep.What she spends is at her discretion. This means that whatever she earns either from work or inheritance is for to decide what to do with it.

Please, be honest with yourself. Is this true? In woman who earn money, where does the money end up if not with their families?

2 Likes

Re: Marriage To A Non-muslim by tbaba1234: 5:08pm On Jul 20, 2014
EnlightenedSoul:

Please, be honest with yourself. Is this true? In woman who earn money, where does their money end up if not with their families?

Islamically, this is true.

She is under no obligation to spend on family necessities, and her husband can not demand it of her.

Whatever she spends on her family or on herself is at her own discretion.
Re: Marriage To A Non-muslim by Nobody: 5:18pm On Jul 20, 2014
tbaba1234:

Islamically, this is true.

She is under no obligation to spend on family necessities, and her husband can not demand it of her.

Whatever she spends on her family or on herself is at her own discretion.

Both my mother and father worked growing up. In my mind, it would've been absolutely preposterous, nonsensical, and extremely selfish for my mother to have hoarded and kept her salary to herself all those years. In the real world, women who work are [rightfully] expected to contribute to their household, besides of course naturally wanting to.

Perhaps these rules were set up to protect the stealing and manipulating of a woman's property way back when Arabs were burying their female offspring, but is it practical in today's world?

2 Likes

Re: Marriage To A Non-muslim by tbaba1234: 5:23pm On Jul 20, 2014
EnlightenedSoul:

Both my mother and father worked growing up. In my mind, it would've been absolutely preposterous, nonsensical, and extremely selfish for my mother to have hoarded and kept her salary to herself all those years. In the real world, women who work are [rightfully] expected to contribute to their household.

Perhaps these rules were set up to protect the stealing and manipulating of a woman's property way back when, but is it practical in today's world?

Who talks about hoarding??

It is just not an obligation meaning she can choose what area she wants to contribute to.

The obligation rests on the man, down to her make up.
Re: Marriage To A Non-muslim by Fulaman198(m): 5:24pm On Jul 20, 2014
tbaba1234:

Example:

A muslim woman do not have to contribute anything to the home upkeep. What she spends is at her discretion. This means that whatever she earns either from work or inheritance is for to decide what to do with it.

It's a male dominated society. If I were to say more, you would say I'm speaking blasphemy so I will leave it at that. Everything is in favour of the man in this world, and it's not only religion. I could say more but I will refrain from saying anything. Everyone here will get upset at me.

3 Likes

Re: Marriage To A Non-muslim by Nobody: 5:27pm On Jul 20, 2014
Fulaman198:

It's a male dominated society. If I were to say more, you would say I'm speaking blasphemy so I will leave it at that. Everything is in favour of the man in this world, and it's not only religion. I could say more but I will refrain from saying anything. Everyone here will get upset at me.

Hear hear.

2 Likes

Re: Marriage To A Non-muslim by Nobody: 5:28pm On Jul 20, 2014
tbaba1234:

Who talks about hoarding??

It is just not an obligation meaning she can choose what area she wants to contribute to.

The obligation rests on the man, down to her make up.

A man's property is his. A women's property is hers. They, through their partnership in marriage, are obligated to care for each other and whatever child they bring into this world. It's common sense.

3 Likes

Re: Marriage To A Non-muslim by tbaba1234: 5:33pm On Jul 20, 2014
Fulaman198:

Exactly, which is why, a muslim woman is not married into an environment where the practise of her faith will be difficult.

Many men will want the wife to follow their faith. If not the start then later on, or just give her difficulties in practising.

A practising knowledgeable muslim knows that forcing his wife to change faith is prohibited.

Equity and justice not equality.
Re: Marriage To A Non-muslim by Fulaman198(m): 5:39pm On Jul 20, 2014
tbaba1234:

Exactly, which is why, a muslim woman is not married into an environment where the practise of her faith will be difficult.

Many men will want the wife to follow their faith. If not the start then later on, or just give her difficulties in practising.

A practising knowledgeable muslim knows that forcing his wife to change faith is prohibited.

Equity and justice not equality.

You contradict yourself when you say equity and justice, not equality. Equality is about having just treatment. Equality is about having equal rights and privileges hence the word.

Let us be honest with ourselves, the Qur'an although a beautiful book shows favouritism and bias towards men and against women. The Qur'an is not the only holy book that does so. One must wonder why? Is it because most passages are written by men instead of women? Why can a man marry up to 4 wives, and a woman can't marry up to 4 husbands?

I could go on all day but I would probably get on people's bad side.
Re: Marriage To A Non-muslim by tbaba1234: 5:45pm On Jul 20, 2014
EnlightenedSoul:

A man's property is his. A women's property is hers. They, through their partnership in marriage, are obligated to care for each other and whatever child they bring into this world. It's common sense.

Yes, I agree.

Islam places obligations on both parties to achieve this.

Ideally, a man is obligated to cater for his family and protect them. Common sense, he is generally the stronger of the two and is more equiped to do the catering (generally). He is the head of the home.

If a woman contributes her resources, it is her discretion not an obligation. Meaning she can not be compelled to spend.

Also, a woman is the caretaker of the home. A man is expected to assist as well in achieving this.
Re: Marriage To A Non-muslim by tbaba1234: 5:55pm On Jul 20, 2014
Fulaman198:

You contradict yourself when you say equity and justice, not equality. Equality is about having just treatment. Equality is about having equal rights and privileges hence the word.

Imagine three men of unequal height trying to look over a wall.

Would giving them equal stools do the job?? Giving the equal stools means only the taller one will see over the wall.

Justice and equity means giving them the length of stool that will be useful for each man.

This means equality is not justice in this case.

Men and women are different, physically and emotionally.

Islam offers each justice and equity based on those differences.

A woman gets pregnant for nine months.

For some women their backs never remain the same.

It is unfair to place the same obligations on a man as you would a woman.

1 Like

Re: Marriage To A Non-muslim by Fulaman198(m): 5:59pm On Jul 20, 2014
tbaba1234:

Imagine three men of unequal height trying to look over a wall.

Would giving them equal stools do the job?? Giving the equal stools means only the taller one will see over the wall.

Justice and equity means giving them the length of stool that will be useful for each man.

This means equality is not justice in this case.

Men and women are different, physically and emotionally.

Islam offers each justice and equity based on those differences.

A woman gets pregnant for nine months.

For some women their backs never remain the same.

It is unfair to place the same obligations on a man as you would a woman.

One word can have many meanings you know that well too. Equality can be used in a political sense, and it is often. It can be used in a mathematical sense/perspective like the example you just gave.
Re: Marriage To A Non-muslim by sino(m): 6:00pm On Jul 20, 2014
Fulaman198:

Let us be honest with ourselves, the Qur'an although a beautiful book shows favouritism and bias towards men and against women. The Qur'an is not the only holy book that does so. One must wonder why? Is it because most passages are written by men instead of women? Why can a man marry up to 4 wives, and a woman can't marry up to 4 husbands?

I could go on all day but I would probably get on people's bad side.
If equality is what you seek, then you should begin your query from creation, are men and women created equally?
Re: Marriage To A Non-muslim by Fulaman198(m): 6:04pm On Jul 20, 2014
sino:
If equality is what you seek, then you should begin your query from creation, are men and women created equally?

God said they are. Equal in what sense? Being physically stronger than someone does not make you superior. I am most likely not to brag, physically stronger than most people here (men is whom I'm referring to). That does not make me better than anyone else.
Re: Marriage To A Non-muslim by tbaba1234: 6:10pm On Jul 20, 2014
Fulaman198:

One word can have many meanings you know that well too. Equality can be used in a political sense, and it is often. It can be used in a mathematical sense/perspective like the example you just gave.

Equality means

1 + 1 =2

That is what it means. There are no alternative meanings. When poly lecturers demand equal rights, it means what a uni lecturer gets, we should also get.

What is needed is equity in all cases that takes into account the differences not equality. So everyone is treated justly based on their strengths and weaknesses.
Re: Marriage To A Non-muslim by Fulaman198(m): 6:14pm On Jul 20, 2014
tbaba1234:

Equality means

1 + 1 =2

That is what it means. There are no alternative meanings. When poly lecturers demand equal rights, it means what a uni lecturer gets, we should also get.

What is needed is equity in all cases that takes into account the differences not equality. So everyone is treated justly based on their strengths and weaknesses.

Again, you are speaking of things from an arithmetic/mathematical sense. We are not discussing mathematics. One word can have many different variations in the English language and many other languages as well.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Pictures In Islam / The Healthy FAST; Tips To A Healthy RAMADAN / Sanusi Warns Muslims Against Joining Issues With Christians

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.