Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,008 members, 7,817,974 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:52 AM

Official Thread of Free To Air Satellite TV (Part 2) - Satellite TV Technology (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Official Thread of Free To Air Satellite TV (Part 2) (203021 Views)

Official Thread Of Free To Air Satellite Tv (part 5 - The Final Part) / Official Thread Of Free To Air Satellite Tv (part 4) / Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (100) (Go Down)

Re: Official Thread of Free To Air Satellite TV (Part 2) by Fadajasi(m): 12:22am On Oct 21, 2008
Great
Re: Official Thread of Free To Air Satellite TV (Part 2) by gofitech(m): 12:08pm On Oct 21, 2008
@Gangsta101, bodejohn and all DVB card lovers

a friend of mine just brought in DVB skystar 2 pci card from uk.

if you are intrested please call me 08033308593.
Re: Official Thread of Free To Air Satellite TV (Part 2) by jujukemist(m): 2:31pm On Oct 21, 2008
toxnaija:

Adewest,
you must be a joker! How dare you put keys that had been off for almost two months on the thread.Besides,don't you realise that it is illegal to put keys on the thread?Please quickly remove them.I can't stop laughing over your various pranks here.Moderator,please take prompt action.

olofofo.
body don fine now ooo.the zain thing did not work me.

Nilesat gurus/badaru1/mide2008/enigma,
the 0.2db shop lnb was installed at the weekend but it did not give me improved signal.So,I had to return the fuji lnb which gives me maximum signal of up to 80% on channels like Showtoday.What could be wrong with the shop and gsat.I sawed off the edge and did  all the same things I did for fuji,yet they bring low signals while fuji shoots up as soon as it is installed.

Adewest is a thieve, am suprised that respected gurus on this forum are contacting him, for what? what does he has to offer that we can not get in house? Enigma and General Marshal are abroad,so what do we need that they cannot import for us/
If people like adewest were to control knowledge traffic, then the world would still be at the 18th century.
Am sure he would be smiling to himself on how he is taking some of us on a good ride.
i thot this forum has rules we created ourselves? I thot we had a proactive moderator? What a terrible distraction is adewest
To hell with you adewest, I have over 350 FTA channels, 3 satellite dish,1 paytv card, softcams hardcams cool etc. What the hell can you give me.bumcum grin I de vex cool
Re: Official Thread of Free To Air Satellite TV (Part 2) by simacoltd(m): 4:12pm On Oct 21, 2008
Hi all

i am new here and i have been going thru your comments and contributions on this thread and i must say that u all are great. this is very commendable, as i am a lover of FTA technology, though dont know much about it but sincerely, i have really learned alot from here since following the thread from S1. do kp it up and remain blessed
Re: Official Thread of Free To Air Satellite TV (Part 2) by olofofo(m): 5:45pm On Oct 21, 2008
jujukemist:

Adewest is a thieve, am suprised that respected gurus on this forum are contacting him, for what? what does he has to offer that we can not get in house? Enigma and General Marshal are abroad,so what do we need that they cannot import for us/
If people like adewest were to control knowledge traffic, then the world would still be at the 18th century.
Am sure he would be smiling to himself on how he is taking some of us on a good ride.
i thot this forum has rules we created ourselves? I thot we had a proactive moderator? What a terrible distraction is adewest
To hell with you adewest, I have over 350 FTA channels, 3 satellite dish,1 paytv card, softcams hardcams cool etc. What the hell can you give me.bumcum grin I de vex cool

@jujukemist

bros u dey vex oooo. i advise anyone in the house to do what i do with guys like adewest , just totally ingore them.

@all

a friend of mine ask what he should bring from duabi on holiday that might sell, i suggested some FTA equipmets

humax decoders with card sharing facilty and PVR
c and KU LNBF
motorization kits for 60-90cm dishes.

anyone with interest should let me know.
Re: Official Thread of Free To Air Satellite TV (Part 2) by sathob(m): 5:54pm On Oct 21, 2008
@Enigma, F-MArshal,Microgiant and all
Thanks for the contributions, comments and advice regarding the RADIX DT 100 patch issue. though, I have not found any results (it's been difficult), I am here to express my profound gratitude for the response to my call.

@Captainus,
I am just returning from the Strong Office. My mission - I was there to check on 2.4m solid pan dish, but to my dismay, they don't have it. The guys asked for the purpose for my request and i told them I want to track Nilesat. Then  they told me it's not possible in Ghana with 2.4m, b'cos with the 3.7m dish they are using, they are not able to receive all the signals. He explained further that Ghana falls in the tertiary part of the footprint so the signal is very week. They also said Nigeria and Benin falls under the secondary part of the footprint (u know the colored rings or circle on the map reflecting coverage area for reception). This, I am yet to find out.
Nevertheless, My hunt for that bird is still hot.

@Enigma, F_Marshal, Enitan, Jujukemist, Pitodenz, Badaru1 and all
What is the direction from which Nilesat signal is emanating or spreading. If Nilesat is in the West to Ghana and Nigeria, then, in my personal opinion the signal should be coming from the west. Infact, I want an answer to this in connection with what I have addressed to Captainus. I can't get that from lyngsat.
I count on you.
Re: Official Thread of Free To Air Satellite TV (Part 2) by olofofo(m): 6:11pm On Oct 21, 2008
sathob:

@Enigma, F-MArshal,Microgiant and all
Thanks for the contributions, comments and advice regarding the RADIX DT 100 patch issue. though, I have not found any results (it's been difficult), I am here to express my profound gratitude for the response to my call.

@Captainus,
I am just returning from the Strong Office. My mission - I was there to check on 2.4m solid pan dish, but to my dismay, they don't have it. The guys asked for the purpose for my request and i told them I want to track Nilesat. Then  they told me it's not possible in Ghana with 2.4m, b'because with the 3.7m dish they are using, they are not able to receive all the signals. He explained further that Ghana falls in the tertiary part of the footprint so the signal is very week. They also said Nigeria and Benin falls under the secondary part of the footprint (u know the colored rings or circle on the map reflecting coverage area for reception). This, I am yet to find out.
Nevertheless, My hunt for that bird is still hot.

@Enigma, F_Marshal, Enitan, Jujukemist, Pitodenz, Badaru1 and all
What is the direction from which Nilesat signal is emanating or spreading. If Nilesat is in the West to Ghana and Nigeria, then, in my personal opinion the signal should be coming from the west. Infact, I want an answer to this in connection with what I have addressed to Captainus. I can't get that from lyngsat.
I count on you.

definitely coming from the east. ouch! meant west
Re: Official Thread of Free To Air Satellite TV (Part 2) by Gangsta101(m): 6:25pm On Oct 21, 2008
The Irony in that answer lies in the fact that the satellite is positioned at 7 degree westward from the southpole, and you do face your dish in a slightly westerly direction in order to receive the bird. however, looking at lyngsat Maps, the beam is being directed Eastward from our position (W. Africa), so as to get a maximum concentration at the Middle East. so that leaves a bit of a dilemma as to what direction it is coming from. i am trying to figure it out in my head, but i am too tired from being in the office for so long, i can't think it through properly, anyway, i'll allow someone else give an input on that or i'll pop in later when i'm a bit more rested.

Jujukemist,

Is your installation still on for tomorrow? what time?
Re: Official Thread of Free To Air Satellite TV (Part 2) by Enigma(m): 6:27pm On Oct 21, 2008
@ sathob and olofofo

You can use 'SatTracker' on www.lyngsat.com to see a geographical map of the location of the satellites out there. See link below for Nilesat.

http://www.lyngsat.com/tracker/nile101.html

cool
Re: Official Thread of Free To Air Satellite TV (Part 2) by Enigma(m): 6:32pm On Oct 21, 2008
@ Gangsta

What to remember is that when we say 7 west for example, that means 7 degrees to the west of 0 Longitude; so, the thing to do is identify one's own longitude and then work out where the satellite is relative to that. For example, Lagos is about 3 degrees east; that will mean that Nilesat will be about 10 degrees west of Lagos. Of course, though, the most critical thing is whether the beam is firing in one's direction for one to be within the footprint or at least to be able to receive signals even if outside the official footprint.

smiley

Edited I forgot one more important point! It also matters whether one's latitude is below or above the equator. The communication satellites are generally around the equator in what is known as the Clarke Belt (after Arthur C Clarke), who publicised the possibility of using that area in 'geo-stationary' orbit for satellite communications.

Thus even taking one's longitude into account, how the position of the satellite is described depends on one's latitude; for those of us above the equator, the satellites are either east or west of South while for people in say South Africa, the satellites are east or west of North as they see things differently from us. ( Now edited too)

Edited again! Regarding the beam the way to look at it is this: you are standing in the dark, at one particular spot, holding a torch (or 'torchlight' grin), you can point the beam of the light in whatever direction you want - regardless that you are standing in just one position.
Re: Official Thread of Free To Air Satellite TV (Part 2) by Gangsta101(m): 7:21pm On Oct 21, 2008
Yeah, i thought it might be something like that, didn't know about the adding/substracting ones own longitude though. i think i have finally gotten my head around how the beam is broadcasted. thanks.

PS: i posted an SOS for you on the 'free to air codes' thread, have you seen it? i keep forgetting to take a picture of the keyedit menu and insert it into the post, i'll do that tomorrow.
Re: Official Thread of Free To Air Satellite TV (Part 2) by salamander(m): 7:29pm On Oct 21, 2008
@sathob

I'm very much interested as what you might find. I also have the same notion that if Lagos can get Nilesat, then Accra should also get it. But do you know anyone in Accra or Ghana in general that gets Nilesat?
Re: Official Thread of Free To Air Satellite TV (Part 2) by Enigma(m): 7:30pm On Oct 21, 2008
@ Gangsta

Ah no, I wasn't aware of new postings on the other thread; I'll have a look now.
Re: Official Thread of Free To Air Satellite TV (Part 2) by maddoxoj(m): 8:36pm On Oct 21, 2008
Hi guys, I feel elated making my first post here on this wonderful thread. I decided to take my time to read thru most of the earlier posts before making mine. I must say it’s been most enlightening and captivating at the same time. Some of what I’ve read has been quite hilarious too.

I happened on this thread through a Google redirect. I spend considerable time researching FTA and sats but I never came across this sight until last week. Then a few days ago I decided to join. I just wish I’d be able to make time to share info with you guys here, though I guess my knowledge is pretty high, judging from what I’ve seen you guys here know/don’t know. I must confess, though, that I’ve picked up a few tricks and tips from you guys. Most of the guys here like Enigma, Jujukemist, Enitan, Pitondez, Toxnaija, Twinstaiyae, Badaru, etc are quite knowledgeable on FTA and sat engineering as a whole. Thanks to Bigoe for starting this in the first place. Keep it up guys.

I might just add for general knowledge that the “juice” of FTA is in C-Band. The main reason is that Ku-Band is suited for and generally deployed by DTH (Direct To Home) pay TV operators like DSTV, HITV, Canalsat etc mainly because the signal is easily picked up with small dishes. Sometimes you find some FTA operators pay to “ride along” with these operators on their unused frequencies or channels. That’s why Ben TV and AIT are on Sky Digital but are free to air (independent of Sky subscription). The FTA channels you see on NSS7 Ku are either leased from Canalsat (like Direct 8, LC2, TV5 and the other Francophone Channels). GTV, TV Malawi, TPA etc. lease theirs from New Sky Satellites the owners/operators of the bird.

A few companies by up transponders from sat companies like Intelsat, Eutelsat and Nilesat and lease them for fixed terms to interested operators or rent/lease them to companies or stations seeking to use those spots as feeds or channel outlet. Such companies include Globecast, Sentech and View Africa Network (who operate in Asia As “View Asia”). Sentech carries the signals for eTV and SABC on Intelsat 7/10 Ku and Intelsat 902C while all the religious channels you see are carried by View Africa Network. Even if you want them to carry a one hour slot for you they can do that on their “always-on” feeds or their “occasional” feeds for a fee. The difference between the two can be seen in their names. Usually the frequencies of these occasional feeds are switched of when not in use, if they are on the same frequency with other Always-On channels, then their PID (Packet Identification Data are switched off when not in use). That’s what Globecast does with the La Liga feeds on NSS7 C. For occasional feeds you may not see their frequencies on any sat charts like Lyngsat.com or SatcoDx.com but a blind scan can catch them if you’re lucky or know when to scan. I usually scan once every three hours.

Sometimes, feed operators go to “crazy” lengths to hide their feeds. The most popular trick is to suppress the PIDs [you can see them under channel info as VPID (Video PID), APID (Audio PID) and PCR PID (PPID)]. Without these you receiver cannot correctly interpret the data carried on the TP frequency. However, these PIDs would be supplied through other means to the preferred downlink (receiving) stations/operators who key them in manually on their receivers. This accounts for most of those frequencies you find on blind scan but they yield no data (TV or Radio channels).

So if you ever catch a feed on blind scan which you like, if it ever goes off don’t delete it, it may still come back anytime. Usually they are used as Haulback feeds (Feeds used to integrate signals from multi-location studios or Outside Broadcast locations into live programming e.g. NTA Network Centers or CNN chatting from Atlanta Center with a correspondent in Iraq) or for live events like sports, rallies, etc

Scrambling or encoding signals cost some money, so operators prefer to use the frequencies that are least likely to be caught. Knowing that pay TV subscribers with Ku dishes can stumble on these types of feeds and enjoy them, the operators prefer to use C band because their sheer size is a no-no for many guys, as evident from the groaning of most forum members. Also very few operators are now deploying C Band for their services (a little bird told me DSTV would soon discard their C Band service on Intelsat 7/10 C) which means a any guy with a C Band equipment must be one of the real targets of these feeds or just a crazy guy, like me, with BUDs (Big Ugly Dishes) in his home. How many of us are there anyway?

So from the foregoing, you can see that the future of Ku in these parts appear really bleak. The only people willing to splash out the big bucks on Ku are usually the church guys like Pastor Chris & T.B. Joshua who have the deep pockets and are seeking for routes to spread their message (and attract followers). That’s why you’ll always keep seeing new religious channels on Intelsat 7/10 Ku everyday but hardly any premium quality channels. The few guys who transmit FTA on Ku make their money from advers and underwriting (another name for sponsorship). Good examples are the MBC channels on Nilesat. Unfortunately, not many of such services are available on small dish (90cm and under in Sub-Saharan Africa, unlike Europe and the Middle East). Pay TV operators are the only ones who can offer you advert-free movies, which means more programmes and not a dull moment.

The power still lies with C Band, especially considering their signals are more stable, reliable and easier to track than Ku signals. My prayer is that more and more guys can afford to find the space to install bigger dishes, at least 1.8m of any make. With a motor and multiple LNBs you can make a massive difference from what you have on three or four 90cm Ku Dishes.

About the forum, I suggest that a positive spirit and camaraderie should prevail. Some of the language used here can make 2pac and Eamon look like saints. This is a public forum for nice guys not the Bloods and Crips, for God’s sake. I think Tushman would appreciate this piece of advice.

As for those guys that breeze in and ask for help even though they don’t post much, I’d plead with you guys to understand that this site is for helping others, so just do it for them with a smile. Those guys are usually the beginners. Once they get hooked you’ll see that they’ll be coming back everyday. Others may be that they cannot afford to get online as much as they’d like. But I must say it would be bad for guys to just come in and grab knowledge from this forum but hoard their own knowledge, which might be of interests to other forum members. And please, no more beefs. Enitan, Jujkemist and Tushman, we’re all in this together, we can’t turn on each other. There was talk about a face-to-face get-together for forum members, where is that talk now? I’m highly interested.

I’d stop here so far. I may not be able to contribute very often but I may be making long posts (like this one) with info I may like to share with you guys as often as I can. I live in Abuja, anyone who wants to reach me for assistance or to just to say hi can holla me on 07025945598 or maddoxoj@yahoo.co.uk. The name is Maddox.

Peace, see y’all soon.
Re: Official Thread of Free To Air Satellite TV (Part 2) by justx24(m): 8:45pm On Oct 21, 2008
@all

Am here guys and learning alot from it, thank you guys keep up the good work.

justx24
Re: Official Thread of Free To Air Satellite TV (Part 2) by Enigma(m): 9:42pm On Oct 21, 2008
Hey maddoxoj

A very big welcome and thanks for droppin' some science like that. grin From your use of 'BUD', I'm assuming you are based in North America? Edited Ah, I see you are in Abuja! Hmmm, maybe I should really relocate to Naija soon sef! smiley

Anyhow, I really and sincerely hope you stick around because I can sense that there will be a lot of things you can help with.

Cheers!

cool
Re: Official Thread of Free To Air Satellite TV (Part 2) by Enigma(m): 9:49pm On Oct 21, 2008
simacoltd:

Hi all

i am new here and i have been going through your comments and contributions on this thread and i must say that u all are great. this is very commendable, as i am a lover of FTA technology, though don't know much about it but sincerely, i have really learned alot from here since following the thread from S1. do kp it up and remain blessed

Welcome to simacoltd too! smiley

cool
Re: Official Thread of Free To Air Satellite TV (Part 2) by salamander(m): 6:16am On Oct 22, 2008
@maddoxoj

Great piece there! We need more of those. As the saying goes, "If your Monday will be good, you can see the signs from Sunday night". Judging from your first post, I believe we are going to have big treat of knowledge here.

And welcome too simacoltd!
Re: Official Thread of Free To Air Satellite TV (Part 2) by salamander(m): 6:33am On Oct 22, 2008
@all

I just found out GTV (Ghana) has just gotten a new transponder on 34.5 deg West (3903 L 2532). Looking at the beam in Flysat, it is reacheable in West Africa so with the MCA Nigeria beam. But the same information on Lyngsat shows the beam is in NE Zone which according to the footprint is not reacheable in West Africa. I'm a bit confuse, any explanation?
Re: Official Thread of Free To Air Satellite TV (Part 2) by oluwolexy(m): 8:24am On Oct 22, 2008
Olofofo, thanks alot for your response on the issue of getting english speaking channels on FTA. I need W3 frequency & transponder. I made mention of replying me thru oluwoleogunfuwa@yahoo.com b'cos SAT3 dat's down is having great effect on my organisation internet connection. kindly reply me thru my yahoo email addy.
thx
Re: Official Thread of Free To Air Satellite TV (Part 2) by twinstaiye(m): 9:14am On Oct 22, 2008
Welcome to FTA forum of nairaland maddox, I sure will hook up with you shortly as I reside in Abuja too. Your write-up sure makes an interesting reading.
Re: Official Thread of Free To Air Satellite TV (Part 2) by olofofo(m): 10:29am On Oct 22, 2008
oluwolexy:

Olofofo, thanks alot for your response on the issue of getting english speaking channels on FTA. I need W3 frequency & transponder. I made mention of replying me through oluwoleogunfuwa@yahoo.com b'because SAT3 that's down is having great effect on my organisation internet connection. kindly reply me through my yahoo email addy.
thx

the entire eutelsat 3 page from lyngsat in PDF format is in your box.

@maddox

welcome on board, your write up was interesting. am sure we can use another intellect in the house.
Re: Official Thread of Free To Air Satellite TV (Part 2) by Gangsta101(m): 10:56am On Oct 22, 2008
Enigma,

thanks for yesterday, i had been searching the net for just I-Class decoders for more than a month now, i guess i should have just typed in the entire name of the decoder, cos, yesterday was the first time i got any appreciable response. it seems there is a some degree of support for the decoder after all, especially in some arabic countries (it was purchased in Dubai, i remember now), and it seems to have similarities with the Hivion decoders and several others, i will explore all of that today. i did download some files, but maybe because of sleep or tiredness, i didn't bother checking them before going home, i found out most of the zip files were corrupted (incomplete downloads), so i don't really have much to report on today, but i've repeated the downloads, and i'll keep checking up on the net for other files.

All,

it seems my decoder has a lot of support from some North African/Mid-Eastern sites, problem is most of them require you to be registered on their site before you can download anything. please in case there is someone here who has enough knowledge of Arabic to get through the registration process (they have a random question segment, that i can't get past even after using some online Arabic-English dictionaries for translation), if you could help me and register and on the site _http://www.2050sat.com, and drop the username and password in my box, i would be very grateful.
thanks in advance.
Re: Official Thread of Free To Air Satellite TV (Part 2) by Mysterlawk: 11:13am On Oct 22, 2008
Pls Nairalanders' i need ur help o how to get strong decoder 4653X version 2.0.7 and how it will cost me? pls extremely urgent. Thanx
Re: Official Thread of Free To Air Satellite TV (Part 2) by olofofo(m): 11:57am On Oct 22, 2008
Mysterlawk:

please Nairalanders' i need ur help o how to get strong decoder 4653X version 2.0.7 and how it will cost me? please extremely urgent. Thanx

if you mean the physical decoder, then the answer will depend on your location. if it's regarding the update for the decoder, please go to hxxp://www.crosat.org register and go to the upload center under STRONG decoder, u will see strong whiz kid files, click on strong for africa or for middle east if you don't want the MY TV logo appearing.

a new update has just been released. u can also find he old one that you are looking for there.
Re: Official Thread of Free To Air Satellite TV (Part 2) by Mysterlawk: 12:07pm On Oct 22, 2008
I mean the physical strong decoder 4653x with a version 2.0.7 or higher and how much it will cost, wnd where can i get it ? Thanx
Re: Official Thread of Free To Air Satellite TV (Part 2) by olofofo(m): 12:17pm On Oct 22, 2008
where are you located?
Re: Official Thread of Free To Air Satellite TV (Part 2) by captainus: 2:18pm On Oct 22, 2008
@Salamander,
The beams that are receiveavable in west africa are the SE zones(e.g that of RTI La Premiere,3743H,3220 Cote D'Ivoire which I receive with up to 70% signal qaulity).All the NE zones are not receivavble inWest africa.So the new GTV tp is not for WesT Africa. Hope I'm making some sense
@sathob,
I checked with my guy on Nilesat and he said the same thing as those guys at Strong Tech said.He's even talking about 4-5m for a quality and stable reception. I'll still try to find out if there's anybody with good reception and the dish size.
Re: Official Thread of Free To Air Satellite TV (Part 2) by Mysterlawk: 3:03pm On Oct 22, 2008
olofofo:

where are you located?
I live here in Lagos Thanx
Re: Official Thread of Free To Air Satellite TV (Part 2) by maddoxoj(m): 3:15pm On Oct 22, 2008
@all
Thanks for the love guys, totus tus.

@Enigma
You're not too far from the mark with the North America comment though I'm chilling full-time in Naija now.(We can IM later).

@Twinstaiye, can't wait, my man. Let's kick some satellite ass!!! Is it ok if I attach Strong or other receiver firmware here? if not, then any one needs them should just PM me on maddoxoj@yahoo.co.uk.

@Salamander & captainus
Those Intelsat 703 Beams with the Nigeria channels are actually the feeds for DSTV's Nigeria channels (MCA is short for Multichoice Africa). The beam goes to Eutelsat's facilities in Europe for uplink to Eutelsat w4A for DSTV Nigeria beam. The Guy's are right, big dishes like the ones they suggested can catch those beams. Someone with up to 4m dish should give it a try and give us a feedback.

@all
Next time I'll attach some informative FTA and other elated info.
Re: Official Thread of Free To Air Satellite TV (Part 2) by olofofo(m): 3:37pm On Oct 22, 2008
Mysterlawk:

I live here in Lagos Thanx

try ALABA shop B270, ISLAND

the price is 7500

@gangsta

check ur email for the username and password you requested for. Glad to be of help.
Re: Official Thread of Free To Air Satellite TV (Part 2) by adewest(m): 4:00pm On Oct 22, 2008
i can see jujuchemist or what did u call call ur self, ur mouth runs unlimited i don't have time with vergabond like u.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (100)

Solutions To The Problem Of All IKS Dongle Receivers QSAT, AONE ,TLINK ETC / Official Thread Of Free To Air Satellite Tv (part 4) / All About Nilesat Installations

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.