Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,407 members, 7,812,204 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:00 AM

How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE - Education (18) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE (1349493 Views)

10 Youngest People Ever To Achieve A Doctorate Degree / Learn The Gre Word List / Tips On How To Pass The GRE. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) ... (618) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by cube2nerdy: 6:41pm On Jun 21, 2015
Oops typo! Sorry... As adviced by TJ18 not as *i adviced...

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by DanjaNinja(m): 9:58pm On Jun 21, 2015
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by DanjaNinja(m): 10:09pm On Jun 21, 2015
cube2nerdy:
Thanks @ Danjaninja.
I really hope its a minor problem. I'm having faith but please if anyone used paypal mode and gtb mastercard in d last month pls let me know the results aafter your payment, the responses from paypal and ets gre and how exactly u confirmed your payment.

And indeed u have been helpful as well as most peeople in this trend. If I'm nt mistaking u were the one dat sent me MGRE, Nova math bible, etc. Still thankful...

I'll always appreciate more advice... I'm currently using MGRE 6 bks for quant. I had hoped to augment with Nova and 5lb bk but light (5hrs per day), time and d volume of MGRE is nt really permitting so far. Can I get into d > 162 range with jus MGRE and practice wit d softwares, official guide n paper based GRE? I really need a high score as I barely made a 2.1!

I'm using kaplan GRE word groups and princeton hit parade for my vocabs. I wrote out d definitions of each word in kaplan word groups. I had already started prep wen I ran into dis trend n d bks here so I couldn't make a switch to Grubber as many seem to be suggesting here. But if key pages of note in Grubber etc can be suggested I'd really appreciate as Grubber's size is scary. Again I still need a score in >162 range.

How can one improve in speed? Time and speed has curtailed my success in a job exams and in my undergrad days too...

Thanks a lot y'all. There's hope in d future of 9ja with fellows like u...

Sorry 4d delay in my response, I've been very busy.
Here's my take on your inquiry:
1st of all, I don't understand what you mean by "MGRE". Are you referring to Magoosh's GRE books? If yes, i have never seen the Magoosh GRE book. Can you please email me a copy so I can give u an assessment? (My email: cchubitunes@gmail.com"

2ndly, if you want to score above 160 on the Quant section of the GRE, am afraid that Grubber "alone" would not be sufficient. You will have to combine several books to properly equip you with the skills required to thrash the GRE. Please note that this is my own opinion.

From my experience, Grubber's Quant questions are somewhat average. However, Grubber does provide some good test taking strategies. Thing is you can finish up Grubber's Quant section in very little time. I would advise you study the Quant test taking strategies thou, they will come in handy on the real exam.

Nova on the otherhand has a comprehensive collection of quality questions - from easy to very hard. It's a rich collection of question that would test the limits of your understanding and expand your mind. I would gladly recommend Nova but you should be aware that the version of Nova that we all have is the 2008 edition - that's dated and quite ancient in the world of ETS since the test was redesigned in 2011. Nonetheless, Nova still remains relevant regardless of its age.

Finally, to augument for the age of Nova, I would advise you complement it with Manhanttan's 5 lb practise book. Fortunately,you can easily combine both books since both book share a similar structure - chapters are structured by topics. For example, chap 1 - Fractions, Chap 2 - Number theory. You get the idea right?
The idea is to combine both books to get a solid understanding and a comprehensive exposure to a wide array of questions and strategies. To accomplish this is easy,when reading about Number theory on Nova, you can easily take a look @ Manhattan's version of Number theory. That way, you have a good blend of perspective on a particular topic.

In conclusion,the GRE is no joke. Its a deceptive exam - it looks easy but its quite challenging. To pass, you need adequate preparations and comprehensive exposure. To say that it would be easy would not be telling you the truth but trust me, you can make it. All you need is the aforementioned - adequate preparation and comprehensive exposure (by reading multiple books and solving a large array of quant questions).
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by DanjaNinja(m): 10:22pm On Jun 21, 2015
automophosis:
[b][/b]Hello Room. May the good Lord give us all the desires of our hearts that is good.
Pls can anyone help me with GRE study material and possible way of scoring a high score.
I also need to know if I can register online with my GTBank Mastercard as an agent is charging me 48k to register it.
Finally, does anyone know any good GRE Exams Centre in Port Harcourt?

Pls anyone here to?

You can register yourself for the GRE. It cost $200 or its naira equivalent. If you want more information, this should help: http://www.ets.org/gre. However, If you have any difficulties with registration,I'd be glad to help.

GRE materials & High score - Tj18's responded already. But I must add that I find the quality of inquiries on this thread very disappointing since most questions asked here have already been thoroughly answered on page one oF this thread. It begs the question, do people read @ all or just rush up here to ask questions without even reading the 1st page of the thread?

Good center in ph - of the two, Showers High School @ Woji is way better. Its more spacious and more
accommodating than Jeptha.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by DanjaNinja(m): 10:28pm On Jun 21, 2015
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by DanjaNinja(m): 10:44pm On Jun 21, 2015
I just wanna say a big shout to cube2nery and Tj18 . You guys are amazing. Keep up the good. If you guys have any challenges, pls send me a pm or quote me, I'll respond asap.

As 4 me, just got my I-20, would be heading to the embassy for my VISA interview shortly.

Where is SirRiddy sef? SirRiddy, if you are reading this, please send me your number. Would have called you but i no longer have your number cos I lost my phone. Hope ur good bro?

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by DanjaNinja(m): 10:46pm On Jun 21, 2015
automophosis:
The GRE study material files are not opening after download. Pls can anyone help me pls.

The files are in pdf format. Do you have adobe acrobat reader in your system?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by TJ18(m): 11:04pm On Jun 21, 2015
DanjaNinja:
I just wanna say a big shout to cube2nery and Tj18 . You guys are amazing. Keep up the good. If you guys have any challenges, pls send me a pm or quote me, I'll respond asap.

As 4 me, just got my I-20, would be heading to the embassy for my VISA interview shortly.

Where is SirRiddy sef? SirRiddy, if you are reading this, please send me your number. Would have called you but i no longer have your number cos I lost my phone. Hope ur good bro?

Happy for you boss,you are favoured in Jesus name.This thread you created really acted as a saving grace for me.
Think sirridy is still in camp.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by cube2nerdy: 1:57am On Jun 22, 2015
DanjaNinja:

Congrats bro
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by cube2nerdy: 2:16am On Jun 22, 2015
DanjaNinja:

Sorry 4d delay in my response, I've been very busy.
Here's my take on your inquiry:
1st of all, I don't understand what you mean by "MGRE". Are you referring to Magoosh's GRE books? If yes, i have never seen the Magoosh GRE book. Can you please email me a copy so I can give u an assessment? (My email: cchubitunes@gmail.com"

2ndly, if you want to score above 160 on the Quant section of the GRE, am afraid that Grubber "alone" would not be sufficient. You will have to combine several books to properly equip you with the skills required to thrash the GRE. Please note that this is my own opinion.

From my experience, Grubber's Quant questions are somewhat average. However, Grubber does provide some good test taking strategies. Thing is you can finish up Grubber's Quant section in very little time. I would advise you study the Quant test taking strategies thou, they will come in handy on the real exam.

Nova on the otherhand has a comprehensive collection of quality questions - from easy to very hard. It's a rich collection of question that would test the limits of your understanding and expand your mind. I would gladly recommend Nova but you should be aware that the version of Nova that we all have is the 2008 edition - that's dated and quite ancient in the world of ETS since the test was redesigned in 2011. Nonetheless, Nova still remains relevant regardless of its age.

Finally, to augument for the age of Nova, I would advise you complement it with Manhanttan's 5 lb practise book. Fortunately,you can easily combine both books since both book share a similar structure - chapters are structured by topics. For example, chap 1 - Fractions, Chap 2 - Number theory. You get the idea right?
The idea is to combine both books to get a solid understanding and a comprehensive exposure to a wide array of questions and strategies. To accomplish this is easy,when reading about Number theory on Nova, you can easily take a look @ Manhattan's version of Number theory. That way, you have a good blend of perspective on a particular topic.

In conclusion,the GRE is no joke. Its a deceptive exam - it looks easy but its quite challenging. To pass, you need adequate preparations and comprehensive exposure. To say that it would be easy would not be telling you the truth but trust me, you can make it. All you need is the aforementioned - adequate preparation and comprehensive exposure (by reading multiple books and solving a large array of quant questions).

Thanks for your usual awesome response...
By MGRE I mean Manhattan GRE 8 bks. Its been d focal point of my quantitative study (say 75%) though I occasionally use Barron, Nova and 5lb practice. I wanted u to sort of tell me if mainly MGRE alone can take me to the promise land. I know u advised 25% study for each of MGRE, Nova, Barron and Grubber earlier in d trend but that's so much volume. I've got less than 2months now.

Secondly if specific pages in Grubber that is useful for verbal can be suggested as I've already concluded my verbal study using kaplan nd princeton review.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by obiaguna(m): 2:34am On Jun 22, 2015
God is good. I have been battling with how to get information regarding GRE but it was all to no avail. Thank God i stumbled upon this thread. I should get to Yaba market and buy those hard copy books. Preparing to write GRE late this year as against next year's admission. Thanks guys.
@DanjaNinja, pls I sent you a pm.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by DanjaNinja(m): 4:00am On Jun 22, 2015
cube2nerdy:

Thanks for your usual awesome response...
By MGRE I mean Manhattan GRE 8 bks. Its been d focal point of my quantitative study (say 75%) though I occasionally use Barron, Nova and 5lb practice. I wanted u to sort of tell me if mainly MGRE alone can take me to the promise land. I know u advised 25% study for each of MGRE, Nova, Barron and Grubber earlier in d trend but that's so much volume. I've got less than 2months now.

Secondly if specific pages in Grubber that is useful for verbal can be suggested as I've already concluded my verbal study using kaplan nd princeton review.

@25% each: lol. Thats unnecessary. I think i need to update my recommendation since my perspective has evolved. Please send me a copy of the Manhattan GRE 8 Bks. I would like to take look.

As for Grubber, you will find a section, i think at the end of the book, that highlights the must know questions on each section.. Very handy if you don't have all the time to read the entire book. Nova has the same feature too.

2 months: Fear not bro, for you, 2 months is sufficient for study purposes. Especially given that you have done quite some work.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by DanjaNinja(m): 4:01am On Jun 22, 2015
obiaguna:
God is good. I have been battling with how to get information regarding GRE but it was all to no avail. Thank God i stumbled upon this thread. I should get to Yaba market and buy those hard copy books. Preparing to write GRE late this year as against next year's admission. Thanks guys.

You welcome bro.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by DanjaNinja(m): 4:13am On Jun 22, 2015
NOTICE[color=#990000][/color]

I receive a lot of emails regarding the GRE. I try my best to respond to every inquiry but lately, there are two inquiries that stand out and i find them very displeasing. They are

(1) Please send me the GRE books.
I find this inquiry highly displeasing for it indicates that you never read the first page of this thread. And if you did not read the first page of this thread, you have no right to ask questions. Simple.

If you had read my very first post on the first page, you would found the portion where i clearly stated that if u need the GRE books, SEND A BLANK MAIL TO "selfstudy360@gmail.com" or "selfstudy.version2@gmail.com". However, if you did send the blank mails and yet did not receive any book, feel free to mail me. I would respond but henceforth any mail asking on how to get GRE e books would simply be ignored.

(2) How to get a high score on the test.
This particular one is unbelievable. The title of this thread is how to get high scores on the GRE. I wrote a detailed explanation on achieving high scores on the first page but still, i get mails asking me "how to get high scores"!!!!!!! Like the first inquiry, i will no longer respond to this inquiry.

4 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by DanjaNinja(m): 4:42am On Jun 22, 2015
obiaguna:

Your welcome bro. It was the default pm you sent, I responded to your pm. Its up to you to send the actual message.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by obiaguna(m): 8:17am On Jun 22, 2015
DanjaNinja:

Your welcome bro. It was the default pm you sent, I responded to your pm. Its up to you to send the actual message.

I would send it as soon as I get to the office.Thanks bro.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by cube2nerdy: 6:38pm On Jun 22, 2015
Alas! My payment issues with GRE has been resolved. I bombarded almost all their contact emails with mails. I just got a mail confirming receipt of my payment etc... Atleast one less to be anxious about...

Thanks to ur overwhelming support TJ18, Danjaninja etc

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by TJ18(m): 6:43pm On Jun 22, 2015
cube2nerdy:
Alas! My payment issues with GRE has been resolved. I bombarded almost all their contact emails with mails. I just got a mail confirming receipt of my payment etc... Atleast one less to be anxious about...

That's good to hear man,now go and ace the exam.Awaiting your success story.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 7:06pm On Jun 22, 2015
Lol..I dey my brother. Just finished nysc orientation at Jigawa and would be in lag tomorrow. Cannot wait to see your visa success transcript. Abeg call me sir.
DanjaNinja:

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by DanjaNinja(m): 11:03pm On Jun 22, 2015
sirRiddy:
Lol..I dey my brother. Just finished nysc orientation at Jigawa and would be in lag tomorrow. Cannot wait to see your visa success transcript. 080xxxxxxxx. Abeg call me sir.

Amen bro. Will call you 2moro bro. How was the camp experience? Whats ur PPA?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by DanjaNinja(m): 11:05pm On Jun 22, 2015
sirRiddy:
Lol..I dey my brother. Just finished nysc orientation at Jigawa and would be in lag tomorrow. Cannot wait to see your visa success transcript. 08. Abeg call me sir.

Amen bro. Will call you 2moro bro. How was the camp experience? Whats ur PPA? I've got some interesting computer science goodies for you o.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by DanjaNinja(m): 11:09pm On Jun 22, 2015
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by DanjaNinja(m): 11:17pm On Jun 22, 2015
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by DanjaNinja(m): 11:19pm On Jun 22, 2015
cube2nerdy:

You welcome bro. Am glad your issue has been resolved. Now comes the hard part - preparing for the actual exam. Wish you all the best bro.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by DanjaNinja(m): 11:25pm On Jun 22, 2015
sirRiddy:
Lol..I dey my brother. Just finished nysc orientation at Jigawa and would be in lag tomorrow. Cannot wait to see your visa success transcript. 080xxxxxxxx. Abeg call me sir.

Amen bro. Will call you 2moro bro. How was the camp experience? Chai, all does cute babes go don hear am. tongue tongue tongue Whats ur PPA? I've got some interesting computer science goodies for you o.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nicklutz(m): 12:19pm On Jun 23, 2015
Please how do I pay for Gre, already have a PayPal acc, registered on the gre web choose a date, but how to pay is now a problem..I have read posts on payment methods...anyone wit ideas should pls help..tanx
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by justanotherme: 4:35pm On Jun 23, 2015
@OP Thanks for the thread very informative.
I have already downloaded the PDF materials quite Voluminous I must say.
Can you help me formulate a 1 or 2 month study guide for GRE?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by oklinks: 5:01pm On Jun 23, 2015
@Danjaninja.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by TJ18(m): 7:01pm On Jun 23, 2015
justanotherme:
@OP Thanks for the thread very informative.
I have already downloaded the PDF materials quite Voluminous I must say.
Can you help me formulate a 1 or 2 month study guide for GRE?
I think the first thing is knowing how many months you 've got to use in preparing.Then,first acquaint yourself with the exam and test your capability using powerprep,(you can download that on ets website).Pls note that your score on powerprep is not really a true indicator,subtracting like 5points from your score in each section should reflect where you are likely to stand,eitherway,you are in good hands.
Then,know your strength and weakness sectionwise, you can then topically focus on each section,Manhattan 5lb will really aid you in that wise.The same for verbal,but in a general sense,don't just go about cramming words,I think Barron helps on tips for effective mastery of words.
All in all it is practice, practice and practice all the way and knowing various tricks like gre's timing and it been sectional adaptive.
Pls and pls ,go back to page 1 and see how you can combine this books,I believe studying all of them cos you have to might be counter productive.
Sorry,I couldn't give you a studying timeline, visit magoosh website,they have 1 week,2 weeks,one month,two,three bla bla bla study plan,if you can follow it religiously, good for you.All in all everything takes discipline.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 9:48pm On Jun 23, 2015
Camp was okay. Got redeployed to Osun. Hope to round off all my applications before September ends.
DanjaNinja:

Amen bro. Will call you 2moro bro. How was the camp experience? Chai, all does cute babes go don hear am. tongue tongue tongue Whats ur PPA? I've got some interesting computer science goodies for you o.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Kossyne(m): 10:09pm On Jun 23, 2015
DanjaNinja:

Hi, ve been following this thread for quite sometime now, on ghost mode though. Ur posts are really insightful to say the least. I planned to write GRE this year but due to financial constraint I ve to defer it. Meanwhile I want to start preparing for the exams now. I already sent a blank mail to ur mailbox but yet to receive the e books.. On a final note.. I want to know if TOEFL/ IELTS is compulsory if u re applying for a graduate prog in a US college.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by pennstate(m): 10:24pm On Jun 23, 2015
Kossyne:

Hi, ve been following this thread for quite sometime now, on ghost mode though. Ur posts are really insightful to say the least. I planned to write GRE this year but due to financial constraint I ve to defer it. Meanwhile I want to start preparing for the exams now. I already sent a blank mail to ur mailbox but yet to receive the e books.. On a final note.. I want to know if TOEFL/ IELTS is compulsory if u re applying for a graduate prog in a US college.
Wait for two to three days you will get it or better still drop your email let me send the link to you.

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) ... (618) (Reply)

The medical students and aspirants thread / Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.