Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,999 members, 7,810,779 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:15 PM

How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE - Education (45) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE (1348604 Views)

10 Youngest People Ever To Achieve A Doctorate Degree / Learn The Gre Word List / Tips On How To Pass The GRE. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (42) (43) (44) (45) (46) (47) (48) ... (618) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by paulbets: 11:21am On Nov 08, 2015
DanjaNinja:

Funding is the koko o. Always go for funding o. If you are not bouyant, it should be your first criteria for school search o! American education is no beans and very expensive. So funding should be your top priority. We never even talk of rent and utilities. lol

However, if you be omo wobe and you get plenty money, please ignore my advise. But wait joor, even if you have the money, go for funding and save your money joor. If you dont have use for your money, send it to me jare, i will help you.
Yes boss, I ain't gonna dull. Funding all the wayway grin
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by adekal001: 12:33pm On Nov 08, 2015
I commend ur kind heart towards helping d people... Pls,add me to d Facebookgroup gre materials.
My Facebook username is lukman adekunle.
And I will also appreciate it if u can send other materials of gre, toefl and ielts to my email.
lukuzo@yahoo.com or koledowolukman@live.com
Thanks in advance
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by paulbets: 1:03pm On Nov 08, 2015
DanjaNinja:

God bless u too brotherly. send me a pm with your number so we can gist on whatsapp.
You've got pm Sir
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by lobito007(m): 3:14pm On Nov 08, 2015
Okay! There's need for clarification on funding and GA/RA positions. By funding, you could be offered 50%-100% tuition waiver. Now, do you have to work as a GA/RA in return for this? Normally, you are paid monthly stipends working as a GA/RA. Is this also a (or THE) means of funding to cushion the effect of the tuition? If receiving tuition waiver does not require to work as a GA/RA, is it possible to secure it and still work as a GA/RA?

PS: As we research on schools to apply to, let's share info on the ones we discover or know to be certain for funding of up to 100%.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by pennstate(m): 3:28pm On Nov 08, 2015
I think when you are able to get a TAs that is when you get a Full Tuition Waiver Plus monthly stipend. I m sure about GA/RAs. Also if you are able to get a faculty sponsorship from a professor who has a research grant your tuition fees plus stipend could be taken care of by the Prof.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 3:32pm On Nov 08, 2015
lobito007:
Okay! There's need for clarification on funding and GA/RA positions. By funding, you could be offered 50%-100% tuition waiver. Now, do you have to work as a GA/RA in return for this? Normally, you are paid monthly stipends working as a GA/RA. Is this also a (or THE) means of funding to cushion the effect of the tuition? If receiving tuition waiver does not require to work as a GA/RA, is it possible to secure it and still work as a GA/RA?

PS: As we research on schools to apply to, let's share info on the ones we discover or know to be certain for funding of up to 100%.

Funding comes in various means. Most of us who get any do so through graduate assistantships. If the position covers full tuition, this means you will work for 20 hours a week. Additionally, part or all of your health insurance is covered. You get some monthly stipends to cover your living expenses. Sometimes, you get a half assistantship. This means half of your tuition is covered but you also work for ten hours in a week. You can get another half GA elsewhere in campus to cover the rest, if such is available.

Additionally, there are other forms of funding like fellowships. These are given to exceptional students or sometimes minorities like women. For this funds, you do no work.

All in all, even when you get funding, know that you still need cash to survive till you start receiving remuneration. There is still rent and utilities before you resume your position.

I would urge anyone applying to grad school to seek for funding. Exchange rate no smile at all o.

3 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by lobito007(m): 3:51pm On Nov 08, 2015
Okay. So, if I got you right, securing 100% tuition waiver means you will work (except if awarded a fellowship) and still earn monthly stipends. However, you could be a GA/RA without waiver. Right?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 4:02pm On Nov 08, 2015
lobito007:
Okay. So, if I got you right, securing 100% tuition waiver means you will work (except if awarded a fellowship) and still earn monthly stipends. However, you could be a GA/RA without waiver. Right?
Almost true. The only part that I have never heard of is a GA without tuition waiver? If not all, at least 50 percent.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by dudufemi(m): 7:53pm On Nov 08, 2015
sirRiddy:

Almost true. The only part that I have never heard of is a GA without tuition waiver? If not all, at least 50 percent.

SirRiddy please help me out

I really appreciate the work going on here... A great one. pls can u add me to
the Facebook group pls, dudufemi@yahoo.ca and also please send me the
GRE materials I will so much appreciate. these are my emails
dudufemi@yahoo.can or sotonwamich@gmail.com thanks in anticipation.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by olatricia(m): 4:49pm On Nov 09, 2015
Thanks a bunch for your kind response. Needless to say whether am expecting your response or not grin I know you have a good heart and that when you are chanced you'd reply. As per my GPA, thats a second class lower o (I hope you know). All other advise are well received. Preparation for GRE shall commence as soon as complete other pending exams. God bless. Keep up the good work.
DanjaNinja:

Hi Olatricia, how are you? I like your statement about expecting nothing from people on this thread. It makes alot of sense. However, if we were all to live by that saying, you should also expect nothing from me nor any of the major contributors on this thread. Abi no be so? We dont owe anyone anything and can as well ignore your request for help. The point am simply trying to make is that we can only grow when we share. And its only natural to share so that others can benefit from your experience. If i had kept my experience all to myself, would you have found this thread? #caseClosed

Now, to your request. Firstly, you have a good undergraduate GPA so securing admission to a good university should not be a problem for you.
I would have loved to explain all you need to know about the Gre but i really dont have that time. Please find all the info here:
https://www.ets.org/gre/revised_general/faq

if after reading that page, you still have questions, ask and i'll be glad to help. wink

To ace the test, simply read the first page of this thread....then focus on this section:

As for getting a full fledged scholarship, i cannot say but i with a good undergraduate gpa and a good gre score, the sky is your limit. Thing is you have to make a long list of schools offering your course. After that, you would have to go through each school's website individually to check out their funding information. This section is entirely up to you. So start now, make your list, go through each website and mail the department for funding information. Thats all.

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Cephas0009: 8:55pm On Nov 09, 2015
DanjaNinja:

Am not really sure about the IELTS, so i cant really make any contribution regarding the IELTS. That said, i believe the IELTS has a grading scheme capable of showing one's proficiency with english. Whatever you do, make the highest permissible score you can. It always helps.

As for TOEFL speaking score requirements for TA, all i can say is every school has its own requirements. Some might require a minimum cut
off score, while others simply dont care. Wnat i will advise you or anyone else to do is simply check with your school to find the requirements.

Thanks boss, ur comment was really helpful
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Cephas0009: 8:58pm On Nov 09, 2015
DanjaNinja:

Your billing address is the address you used for opening your Nigerian bank account. Use that address. If you still have problems, contact your bank to show you the format for filling the address online.

I had similar issues at a time. Had to go to the bank to get the correct format for filling the address section online.

Update: if you are using Gtbank and you have a current and savings account, please note that all online transactions would be billed to your current account. So,ensure you have sufficient funds in your current account.

I had used the card n billing address for other transactions before with no stress, it's quite surprising I had difficulty this time around. I already mailed them n dey replied. I finally resolved to not complete d application even tho I was 99% done.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Latty88(f): 9:44am On Nov 11, 2015
Hello house! Am preparing to take GRE this december and I need textbooks either softcopies or if anyone who is already done with GRE to help me with theirs.
Also,have anyone done tutorials with Mack IV consultant? How was your experience there? Am planning on going to start tutorials with them.
Thanks
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 10:59am On Nov 11, 2015
Latty88:
Hello house! Am preparing to take GRE this december and I need textbooks either softcopies or if anyone who is already done with GRE to help me with theirs.
Also,have anyone done tutorials with Mack IV consultant? How was your experience there? Am planning on going to start tutorials with them.
Thanks
Please dont waste your money on Tutorials,you dont need it..you will still spend ALOT when you start application..All you need are materials and ample time to read on your own..

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 11:02am On Nov 11, 2015
Latty88:
Thanks
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Latty88(f): 2:00pm On Nov 11, 2015
femi321:
Please dont waste your money on Tutorials,you dont need it..you will still spend ALOT when you start application..All you need are materials and ample time to read on your own..

Thanks for your advice,have you wrote Gre before?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 3:57pm On Nov 11, 2015
Latty88:

Thanks for your advice,have you wrote Gre before?
yeah..wrote GRE August 2015, ToEFL-october..BTW if you have not started preparing by now dont rush to take it Dec so you wont rush to dash ETS over 43k..my advice
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Latty88(f): 4:31pm On Nov 11, 2015
femi321:
yeah..wrote GRE August 2015, ToEFL-october..BTW if you have not started preparing by now dont rush to take it Dec so you wont rush to dash ETS over 43k..my advice

Ok. Pls can I get your study materials? I dont mind soft copy. How was the experience like? Do you mind telling me your scores?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by opylas(m): 6:31pm On Nov 11, 2015
Latty88:

Ok. Pls can I get your study materials? I dont mind soft copy. How was the experience like? Do you mind telling me your scores?

Uh... me too; makes two of us, Femi ....if u don't mind, pls.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 6:59pm On Nov 11, 2015
Latty88:

check page 33 of this thread for my GRE score and experience..had 98 in TOEFl...follow the instructions on the first page of this thread to get relevant materials but if you are in lagos we can meet to give you all the relevent materials with flash FREE OF CHARGE ..send a pm if you want the last option N.B: most of the materials are too heavy,cant be sent through email,only the ETS Guide,ETS 150 Quant and Verbal can be sent through email
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by gbemmyusuf: 6:31am On Nov 12, 2015
Hello everyone ! you guys are really doing a nice job here and I know so many people would have benefited from this. Kudos to you all. I'm new here and I will like to be added to the Facebook page. alabi.gbemisiola@gmail.com. thanks
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Latty88(f): 6:36am On Nov 12, 2015
femi321:
check page 33 of this thread for my GRE score and experience..had 98 in TOEFl...follow the instructions on the first page of this thread to get relevant materials but if you are in lagos we can meet to give you all the relevent materials with flash FREE OF CHARGE ..send a pm if you want the last option N.B: most of the materials are too heavy,cant be sent through email,only the ETS Guide,ETS 150 Quant and Verbal can be sent through email

Thanks for your reply,am in Abuja and I will go with the second option. I have read through the thread and sent mails but yet to get the materials.
Please you can just help me send it through one of those buses coming to Abuja, I will pay for it then you can send others through my mail. This is my email bitsy208042@gmail.com

Thanks very much!

I just saw your score,Congratulations!
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 7:23am On Nov 12, 2015
Latty88:

Thanks for your reply,am in Abuja and I will go with the second option. I have read through the thread and sent mails but yet to get the materials.
Please you can just help me send it through one of those buses coming to Abuja, I will pay for it then you can send others through my mail. This is my email bitsy208042@gmail.com

Thanks very much!

I just saw your score,Congratulations!
that bus option cant work because I cant release my flash + kind of busy..i can upload all the materials on dropbox and I will send you the link. the data you will use wont be more than 70mb.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Latty88(f): 8:10am On Nov 12, 2015
femi321:
that bus option cant work because I cant release my flash + kind of busy..i can upload all the materials on dropbox and I will send you the link. the data you will use wont be more than 70mb.

This option too is ok. Dont forget to send me the link when you upload it. Please can yoy send the ETS materials to my mail
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 9:09am On Nov 12, 2015
Latty88:

This option too is ok. Dont forget to send me the link when you upload it. Please can yoy send the ETS materials to my mail
I will latest 9pm today
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Latty88(f): 9:43am On Nov 12, 2015
femi321:
I will latest 9pm today

Thanks alot
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 5:12pm On Nov 12, 2015
Latty88:

Below is the link to the GRE Dropbox folder i created..In the folder you have Grubber 2015, Manhattan, Barron, ETS 150 Verbal And Quant, Kaplan,Nova GRE bible,ETS official Guide etc..Read people's Experiences on this thread from page 0 to know how to prepare best with each book..All the best. Cheers. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/t9ot6d07hp1lkm7/AADL_dTihjEvNBRCBsmAcoXja?dl=0

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 5:38pm On Nov 12, 2015
kudos to the great house pls I need to be added to the facebook group, Am new here and will be writing my GRE by January. caso4excellent7@gmail. com Thanks all
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 5:43pm On Nov 12, 2015
femi321:
Below is the link to the GRE Dropbox folder i created..In the folder you have Grubber 2015, Manhattan, Barron, ETS 150 Verbal And Quant, Kaplan,Nova GRE bible,ETS official Guide etc..Read people's Experiences on this thread from page 0 to know how to prepare best with each book..All the best. Cheers. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/t9ot6d07hp1lkm7/AADL_dTihjEvNBRCBsmAcoXja?dl=0

Thanks Femi.
God bless u
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 5:48pm On Nov 12, 2015
assumyluv:

Thanks Femi.
God bless u
You welcome..its the least i can do..People have helped me immensely here too
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Latty88(f): 7:37pm On Nov 12, 2015
femi321:

I dont know how to thank you,may God bless you abundantly. You have help me save a lot of money.

The ETS verbal is passworded
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 7:40pm On Nov 12, 2015
Latty88:

I dont know how to thank you,may God bless you abundantly. You have help me save a lot of money.

The ETS verbal is passworded
amen. I dont think it is..i will check and resend it

(1) (2) (3) ... (42) (43) (44) (45) (46) (47) (48) ... (618) (Reply)

The medical students and aspirants thread / Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 112
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.