Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,044 members, 7,814,578 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 03:32 PM

How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE - Education (48) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE (1350343 Views)

10 Youngest People Ever To Achieve A Doctorate Degree / Learn The Gre Word List / Tips On How To Pass The GRE. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (45) (46) (47) (48) (49) (50) (51) ... (618) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 10:14am On Nov 27, 2015
Sent you a mail. Guess you want to write the test too?
clark0:

Xup bro.. Got posted to ife central, i presume u r a serving corps member in ife too.. may i hv ur bbm pin
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by clark0: 11:24am On Nov 27, 2015
sirRiddy:
Sent you a mail. Guess you want to write the test too?

Better still you can add me up using my bbm PIN
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by olatricia(m): 1:28pm On Nov 27, 2015
Hello my mentors, how y'all doing. Wrote my ICAN last paper a week ago and ever since I have been experiencing a 'block head'. I can't even read my mails in the office. I just skim through. Finally today, I was able to reactivate and the first thing I laid my hands on was this 'Gruber's GRE watever' sent to my mail by dat very good badt guy on this thread.

Ok, my point is, I seem to ve lost momentum because I read here that even after passing the GRE, finding the right school and scholarship, I might still need some monies, at the least, to startup living out there, pay rent and all that. This dampened my courage because, hmmmm, Na only me and God o. No help or support whatsoever (at the moment). So, am torn between the choice of continuing with this course of studying abroad and starting to study for my next professional qualification.

Guys, what do advise? I know I can't get it all free, even if I get the tuition, how about accommodation, feeding, etc. Do I concentrate on some other things like my professional exams and maybe a job with a better earning muscle at d moment and then pursue my graduate studies later on? and btw, for how many years is a GRE result valid? Am so at a crossroad and don't really know what to do.

Any which way, am continuing am gonna see this Gruber's test to the end, even if not for anything, for my own self development. Mentors'please say something.

Thanks as always....
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 2:21pm On Nov 27, 2015
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 2:33pm On Nov 27, 2015
I do not use BBM
clark0:

Better still you can add me up using my bbm PIN 74F0899D
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by clark0: 4:47pm On Nov 27, 2015
sirRiddy:
I do not use BBM

Well thats too Bad, was hoping we could discuss some more
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by GlassDoc: 7:15pm On Nov 27, 2015
clark0:

Well thats too Bad, was hoping we could discuss some more
haba..
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by mokarios(m): 12:44am On Nov 29, 2015
Dear all,

I took the pain to read through pages 1 to 47, and I must say, kudos to you guys for your selflessness (SirRiddy and DanjaNinja especially).
It only goes to show how good natured and communal humans can be in the pursuit of a common goal, and I hope to meet you guys someday.
The information available here is more than sufficient for anyone hoping to ace the GRE exams.
One more request, Kindly add these 2 email addresses in the closed facebook group: moyosoretaiwo@gmail.com, and onaopetaiwo@yahoo.com.

Thanks!

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by automophosis(m): 8:28am On Nov 29, 2015
Hello House,
How do one who wrote GRE get his score? Are they sending you your test score through post or it would be printed online? Sincerely I dnt know how its done. Waiting to hear from someone good.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Kapitain(m): 9:02am On Nov 29, 2015
automophosis:
Hello House,
How do one who wrote GRE get his score? Are they sending you your test score through post or it would be printed online? Sincerely I dnt know how its done. Waiting to hear from someone good.
Your gre scores will be available within 10 - 15 days. Just check your inbox (email used to register gre). You will notified to go check your scores. Good luck on your AW. smiley
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by doomel: 2:44am On Nov 30, 2015
DanjaNinja:
Listen all, i just found this incredible online resource for GRE materials. Its a facebook group but its by invitation only. So drop ur email addresses or send me a pm and i'll send you an invite to the group. Here's the group link, however it can only be accessed by members of the group:

https://www./newgremaster/

After joining the group, head to the file section and you will find every book and test questions there. #OneLove

doomel4real@yahoo.co.uk
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by mokarios(m): 2:45am On Dec 01, 2015
Please SirRiddy, could you help with joining the facebook group for the two emails mentioned in this post.
Kind regards.

mokarios:
Dear all,

I took the pain to read through pages 1 to 47, and I must say, kudos to you guys for your selflessness (SirRiddy and DanjaNinja especially).
It only goes to show how good natured and communal humans can be in the pursuit of a common goal, and I hope to meet you guys someday.
The information available here is more than sufficient for anyone hoping to ace the GRE exams.
One more request, Kindly add these 2 email addresses in the closed facebook group: moyosoretaiwo@gmail.com, and onaopetaiwo@yahoo.com.

Thanks!
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by automophosis(m): 9:38pm On Dec 01, 2015
Hello House,
I was denied visa on 30th Nov and I feel like posting my transcript so the house can scrutinize it and proffer correction where it occurred.

VO: Good morning
Me: Morning and how r u doing
VO: oh fine, fine. Where r u going
Me: I am going to USA to pursue my an Associate degree in Environmental Science at Butte-Glenn College, Oroville California
VO: why that school
‎​Me: because high academical standard and rigorous course structure and small class partern of the school
VO: how could that be a reason to choose the institu
Me: u and I know that qualities will afford students personal attention from faculty and staff
VO: well, I don't know, u tell me
Me: in such a situation, student are exposed to rugged on the field practical and not only book knowledge because of it rigorous nature
VO: ok ok ok. (Type for some second and I was expecting it has been granted). How will that course benefit u
Me: Sir, by the time I got myself acquitted with the latest technology and modern practical methodology, I will come back to invest my skills in the newly establish 400tpd toxic waste mgt recycling facility of my state govt which is being situated on my ancestral community (big lie oooo)
VO: who do you have in Oroville
Me: None
VO: (start typing again and turns) are u married
Me: No
VO: Do u have kids
VO: Not married with no kids and why the gap in ur academic year. I'm sorry I dnt think u will come back to ur country. (Serve me a blue paper and return my doc)
‎​Na so my eyes open

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by GlassDoc: 10:29pm On Dec 01, 2015
automophosis:
Hello House,
I was denied visa on 30th Nov and I feel like posting my transcript so the house can scrutinize it and proffer correction where it occurred.

Me: I am going to USA to pursue my an Associate degree in Environmental Science at Butte-Glenn College, Oroville California
‎​Me: because high academical standard and rigorous course structure and small class partern of the school
Me: u and I know that qualities will afford students personal attention from faculty and staff
Me: in such a situation, student are exposed to rugged on the field practical and not only book knowledge because of it rigorous nature
VO: ok ok ok. (Type for some second and I was expecting it has been granted). How will that course benefit u
Me: Sir, by the time I got myself acquitted with the latest technology and modern practical methodology, I will come back to invest my skills in the newly establish 400tpd toxic waste mgt recycling facility of my state govt which is being situated on my ancestral community (big lie oooo)
VO: Not married with no kids and why the gap in ur academic year. I'm sorry I dnt think u will come back to ur country. (Serve me a blue paper and return my doc)
‎​Na so my eyes open
keep calm bro, it's not the end of the world. Just reinforce n repackage during a reschedule interview. Make sure you digest the info on USA visa thread. You have enuf transcripts to learn from there.
If i may ask, what's the gap like in your academic year?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 8:20am On Dec 02, 2015
automophosis:
Hello House,

‎​Na so my eyes open

Almost every university in the U.S.A has high standard and 'small class pattern', atleast compared to Nigerian universities. In my opinion, that reason was just too general and unconvincing. What is your ACTUAL reason for choosing the school? How did you get to know about it? Have you been in correspondence with your prospective supervisor? Of all places, why Oroville, and not Texas or Michigan?

It could be that the school is just a perfect fit for your academic profile, don't be scared to let the V.O know this. Not everyone would graduate with a perfect GPA or bag exceedingly high standardized test scores, and apply to Ivy leagues.

Also, you could say you're engaged and in a very serious relationship. You can't just say "No!" like that na lol.. Especially when you have no solid home tie. Anyway, I suggest you work on your reason for choosing the school, and other questions you envisage. Have your story in your head, and refire.

5 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by pennstate(m): 10:25am On Dec 02, 2015
@Automophosis.
How will that course benefit u: It will broaden my knowledge with the necessary interdisciplinary skills to handle effectively environmental related problems in the region where I come from. Give example.
Why that school: The course content and module was design in a way that suit my interest. Go through the course content and say I will be taken courses like spatial analysis, remote sensing and GIS and others which you really like.
Aside that it is also affordable and cheap for me.
Goodlock.

5 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by electronic(m): 2:32pm On Dec 04, 2015
dudes please add me to the gre facebook group
wisecircuit@gmail.com
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by happyday: 6:31pm On Dec 04, 2015
olatricia:
Hello my mentors, how y'all doing. Wrote my ICAN last paper a week ago and ever since I have been experiencing a 'block head'. I can't even read my mails in the office. I just skim through. Finally today, I was able to reactivate and the first thing I laid my hands on was this 'Gruber's GRE watever' sent to my mail by dat very good badt guy on this thread.

Ok, my point is, I seem to ve lost momentum because I read here that even after passing the GRE, finding the right school and scholarship, I might still need some monies, at the least, to startup living out there, pay rent and all that. This dampened my courage because, hmmmm, Na only me and God o. No help or support whatsoever (at the moment). So, am torn between the choice of continuing with this course of studying abroad and starting to study for my next professional qualification.

Guys, what do advise? I know I can't get it all free, even if I get the tuition, how about accommodation, feeding, etc. Do I concentrate on some other things like my professional exams and maybe a job with a better earning muscle at d moment and then pursue my graduate studies later on? and btw, for how many years is a GRE result valid? Am so at a crossroad and don't really know what to do.

Any which way, am continuing am gonna see this Gruber's test to the end, even if not for anything, for my own self development. Mentors'please say something.

Thanks as always....

Thank God you are working, you aren't alone, so your fears are founded. First off, why do you want to go for yet another professional qualification? Take a deep breath, dearie. You just concluded one, close your eyes, enjoy the silence. Open them, reward yourself anyhow and congratulate yourself. You were experiencing the block, cos you are already burned out.
Also, grad admission and schooling is a marathon for a reason. I strongly suggest you get a job, help your siblings of you need to and bring others up.
As you do this, create a timeline for the process. I guess you start with the GRE, forget all else for now.
Gather materials, focus on doing your best. When You are sure you did well, keep the scores aside, they are valid for the next 5 years.
And you move on to the next, which will vary depending on your intended program.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by lobito007(m): 9:17am On Dec 05, 2015
Guys, anyone here knows about or has any experience with 'another spring'- a grad education advisor who helps with processing application and funding to US schools?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by CarterIV: 3:28pm On Dec 06, 2015
Wrote me test today... It was cry
Quant 160
Verbal 146

I am giving the testimony cos every testimony I read here kept improving my confidence and motivation

Like someone said, it's not the end of the world....

6 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 3:51pm On Dec 06, 2015
CarterIV:
Quant 160
Verbal 146

I am giving the testimony cos every testimony I read here kept improving my confidence and motivation

Congratulations and well done. Wish you luck with admissions.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by CarterIV: 4:10pm On Dec 06, 2015
sirRiddy:

Congratulations and well done. Wish you luck with admissions.
*salutes*
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Cephas0009: 7:44pm On Dec 06, 2015
CarterIV:
Quant 160
Verbal 146

Congratulations brother...

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by happyday: 9:51am On Dec 07, 2015
Good morning, wonderful people. My scores just came in.
Paper-based test. I took it a month ago, November 7th in Benin.

Verbal Reasoning : 157/170 - - 74th percentile
Quantitative Reasoning : 157/170 - - 68th percentile
Analytical Writing Assessment : 5.5/6.0 - - 98th percentile.

Lessons learnt. I'm happy to share them with you, as soon as I can settle down to write.

Thanks to God. I appreciate how helpful this thread has been, Danjaninja, SirRiddy et al, you make sense!

To you, yet to write, go for your dreams. You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

By the way, I added a year to my age yesterday.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 10:02am On Dec 07, 2015
Proud of you happyday.
Like my friend, Ojah would say, your head is immensely valid. Please post your experience too while preparing.
Wish you luck with admissions and funding.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by pennstate(m): 10:13am On Dec 07, 2015
happyday:

Lessons learnt. I'm happy to share them with you, as soon as I can settle down to write.

Thanks to God. I appreciate how helpful this thread has been, Danjaninja, SirRiddy et al, you make sense!

To you, yet to write, go for your dreams. You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

Congrat, wish you well.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by olatricia(m): 3:49pm On Dec 07, 2015
God will so so so bless you for this reply. I didn't read your post earlier. Happy belated birthday to youuuu. God bless your age, your year and your existence. The new year that has dawned for you will be an harbinger of more good tidings.

happyday:

Thank God you are working, you aren't alone, so your fears are founded. First off, why do you want to go for yet another professional qualification? Take a deep breath, dearie. You just concluded one, close your eyes, enjoy the silence. Open them, reward yourself anyhow and congratulate yourself. You were experiencing the block, cos you are already burned out.
Also, grad admission and schooling is a marathon for a reason. I strongly suggest you get a job, help your siblings of you need to and bring others up.
As you do this, create a timeline for the process. I guess you start with the GRE, forget all else for now.
Gather materials, focus on doing your best. When You are sure you did well, keep the scores aside, they are valid for the next 5 years.
And you move on to the next, which will vary depending on your intended program.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by CarterIV: 3:58pm On Dec 07, 2015
The complete student grin
happyday:

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by happyday: 4:19pm On Dec 07, 2015
My GRE test - taking experience :
I took the GRE (paper based) for the first time, and I got my scores a month after ; 157Q, 157V, 5.5AWA.
I started studying about three months to the test date, in three phases.
Weeks 1 - 4: I dabbled into practice tests (I now realise I 'wasted' them). I corrected my mistakes in the practice tests I took, went through about 20 Vocab tests in Gruber, finished the first 5 chapters in Manhattan 5lb book (Quant section), and refined my approach in the practice etwas for the second time.

Practice Test 1: ETS paper test. I scored mid 150s on both sections, so I thought I should focus on Verbal and Quant in equal measures. I started with the Gruber practice tests, focusing on only the Quant and Verbal sections only. I also improved my vocabulary by working on the Vocab tests at the end of Gruber. I would mark my work, identify strange words and look them up in the dictionary.

3 weeks into this, I was able to come up with 8 Vocab decks, split into 100 words each. I memorised as much as I can per day using the spaced repetition technique.
Also, I realised my Quant mistakes came from not understanding how standard deviation is being tested in the QC section, so also percentiles, number properties and geometry. I took the MGRE mixed with Nova, towards the end.

Practice test 2, 161Q, 158V. I used this to get more comfortable with the test layout and identify particular areas of weakness to work on.

Test Day :
I woke up early enough, observed my daily routine and warmed up with a few Algebra problems in 5lb to knock myself into test mode.

I had to start asking around for the test centre on test day. This, I'm sure, cost me as I wasn't well composed on starting the test. I was checked in, went through the routine. I had planned to write the draft first before the actual essay. But this was not to be. Exam anxiety, I think.

For the Issue task, I developed my introduction, brief body, alongside 3 examples, then conclusion.

Next was the Argument. I checked the fallacies in the task given, and quickly punctured those fallacies in my write up. The only prep I did for the AWA is to write out the 6.0 essays in the Official Guide, and then study the structure.

And then it was Verbal, verbal, quant, quant.
For the first quant sections, I spent too much time confirming my answers for the first 3 or 4 QCs, which left me with little time for the Numeric Entry questions. In fact, I had to guess on about 6 questions.

Now that my scores are in, I'm a bit disappointed with my Quant. Test anxiety definitely crept in.

Takeaways :
1. Take full - length practice tests which should with you down and mentally challenge you. The GRE requires your brain to be in full working mode, for over 3 hours. Prepare for this.

2. Don't expect a miracle. When you take the practice tests, and you are nowhere your target, don't console yourself by saying test day would definitely better. More often, it can be worse. In your practice tests, though you are working with time, your brain knows this is just practice, and you won't take it seriously as on test day.
On test day, it might go like this :"I need to seriously ace this test. If I don't, I'm never getting into a good US college, which means I might never get out of this country, and would never make it in life! ". By the way, getting out of the country is a bad reason for wanting to the GRE.
If you are scoring in the 150s in your tests, don't expect to climb to 160 on the real thing.

3. Register for the test you are comfortable with your practice tests. I know you need to pick a test date quickly before the deadline, but there is no point in rushing to register when you know you are nowhere your target.

Lastly, gather good materials and practice only with those. Of course, the Official Guide comes first.
Check page 1 of this thread for those materials.

Thank you.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 5:10pm On Dec 07, 2015
Nice one, happyday! Great AWA scores. Great! Wish you the best with admissions & funding.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by happyday: 5:33pm On Dec 07, 2015
CarterIV:
The complete student grin
Lol @ "Complete." Thanks!
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by happyday: 5:33pm On Dec 07, 2015
stolid:
Nice one, happyday! Great AWA scores. Great! Wish you the best with admissions & funding.
Thank you, really!

(1) (2) (3) ... (45) (46) (47) (48) (49) (50) (51) ... (618) (Reply)

The medical students and aspirants thread / Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.