Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,304 members, 7,836,326 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 04:51 AM

How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE - Education (49) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE (1360567 Views)

10 Youngest People Ever To Achieve A Doctorate Degree / Learn The Gre Word List / Tips On How To Pass The GRE. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (46) (47) (48) (49) (50) (51) (52) ... (618) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by happyday: 5:35pm On Dec 07, 2015
olatricia:
God will so so so bless you for this reply. I didn't read your post earlier. Happy belated birthday to youuuu. God bless your age, your year and your existence. The new year that has dawned for you will be an harbinger of more good tidings.

Amen and amen. Glad I could be of assistance. Thanks.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 5:42pm On Dec 07, 2015
Thanks happyday for this. I am so glad the thread has really been sustained and I sincerely applaud for this beautiful anecdote.
Just make sure you continue with this spirit and I am sure getting a funded program would be easy. Good luck!

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Cephas0009: 7:11pm On Dec 07, 2015
happyday:
Good morning, wonderful people. My scores just came in.
Paper-based test. I took it a month ago, November 7th in Benin.

Verbal Reasoning : 157/170 - - 74th percentile
Quantitative Reasoning : 157/170 - - 68th percentile
Analytical Writing Assessment : 5.5/6.0 - - 98th percentile.

Lessons learnt. I'm happy to share them with you, as soon as I can settle down to write.

Thanks to God. I appreciate how helpful this thread has been, Danjaninja, SirRiddy et al, you make sense!

To you, yet to write, go for your dreams. You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

By the way, I added a year to my age yesterday.

Nice score, impressive performance, congratulations brother

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by CarterIV: 7:32pm On Dec 07, 2015
Didn't know paper based is available in Nigeria
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by emmyluvly(m): 7:34pm On Dec 07, 2015
Congratulations bro! Am so happy for you. I don't mind coming to get all your materials ooo, irrespective of wherever u may be. Am willing to come.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by CarterIV: 8:54pm On Dec 07, 2015
From my experience, I'll suggest the following...

Mangosh and ETS materials (the 3 of them ) covers the entire scope of the test.. Infact unless you know the material inside out or it's beginning to bore you, u nid nt to look for any other material.

Familiarize yourself with the power prep, I couldn't imagine that the interface is carbon copy with the real test. And I don't think the power prep is easier, the difference is that it's nt adaptive unlike the test that could get harder when he see say you be baale and also during prep you are not under any pressure, that's what makes it looks easier... In power prep had V-147 and Q-162 in my final practice, just 3 points higher than test scores...

Practice 4hour stretch, i was so tired in the last section which happens to be Quant and I started begging God for it to be the experimental section... Wen I saw the result I knew it wasn't... You know the point of been tired that you read a question twice and your interpretation is different undecided it's dat bad... For ppl going to jkk, dy no allow us comot Hall during break, I'll advise you eat very well and also go in with an energy drink.

Concerning the verbal, based on my experience o, used the 2 mangosh apps.... I saw less than 4 words I picked up from the app... Infact I think it's pointless to be memorizing vocabulary except you start early (like 6months) wen u can be taking daily dose of 5 new words... All I was able to do was courtesy the mangosh videos, the strategies are on point, I think most of my points came from comprehension... Horrible outing with the blank filling...

Finally... Gre is a function of "the more you give the more you get".... Even at 165 you can always do better... Also confidence helps a lot, if you start panicking because you miss one question it will upset your mind and you will perform woefully... The guys that sat with me both sides... Wia lamenting throughout as if it will solve the problem... Even if you are ill prepared goto the test like a Boss with believe... Me ehn, quantitative was nt really d wahala it was verbal buh as I ws ticking the verbal in my mind I knew ETS was winning but I didn't let it get to me, infact my first verbal I can hardly get 6 but wen d second came it was relatively easy(adaptive test factor played)

Also research schools before going. Some peeps will go with competitive school without preparing for the worst... I picked 2 badass, 2 just OK and 2 fair... You never can tell, It could just turn out to be your off day lipsrsealed
I wish I found this thread earlier, fear no wan may I write this test since last year as I know 2 ppl wey ETS flog, buh wen I saw it happening for guys I was inclined to invest my 43k grin

PS: I MIGHT BE WRONG IN SOME CASES, viewers discretion is advised

4 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by CarterIV: 9:02pm On Dec 07, 2015
Tanx bro #TeamHouston shey... Like we plenty looking in that direction o cheesy
Cephas0009:

Congratulations brother...
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by happyday: 9:03pm On Dec 07, 2015
CarterIV:
Didn't know paper based is available in Nigeria
It is. My nearest test location is Benin, and only PBT is offered there. Not common though.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by happyday: 9:17pm On Dec 07, 2015
CarterIV:
From my experience, I'll suggest the following...

Mangosh and ETS materials (the 3 of them ) covers the entire scope of the test.. Infact unless you know the material inside out or it's beginning to bore you, u nid nt to look for any other material.

Familiarize yourself with the power prep, I couldn't imagine that the interface is carbon copy with the real test. And I don't think the power prep is easier, the difference is that it's nt adaptive unlike the test that could get harder when he see say you be baale and also during prep you are not under any pressure, that's what makes it looks easier... In power prep had V-147 and Q-162 in my final practice, just 3 points higher than test scores...

Practice 4hour stretch, i was so tired in the last section which happens to be Quant and I started begging God for it to be the experimental section... Wen I saw the result I knew it wasn't... You know the point of been tired that you read a question twice and your interpretation is different undecided it's dat bad... For ppl going to jkk, dy no allow us comot Hall during break, I'll advise you eat very well and also go in with an energy drink.

Concerning the verbal, based on my experience o, used the 2 mangosh apps.... I saw less than 4 words I picked up from the app... Infact I think it's pointless to be memorizing vocabulary except you start early (like 6months) wen u can be taking daily dose of 5 new words... All I was able to do was courtesy the mangosh videos, the strategies are on point, I think most of my points came from comprehension... Horrible outing with the blank filling...

Finally... Gre is a function of "the more you give the more you get".... Even at 165 you can always do better... Also confidence helps a lot, if you start panicking because you miss one question it will upset your mind and you will perform woefully... The guys that sat with me both sides... Wia lamenting throughout as if it will solve the problem... Even if you are ill prepared goto the test like a Boss with believe... Me ehn, quantitative was nt really d wahala it was verbal buh as I ws ticking the verbal in my mind I knew ETS was winning but I didn't let it get to me, infact my first verbal I can hardly get 6 but wen d second came it was relatively easy(adaptive test factor played)

Also research schools before going. Some peeps will go with competitive school without preparing for the worst... I picked 2 badass, 2 just OK and 2 fair... You never can tell, It could just turn out to be your off day lipsrsealed
I wish I found this thread earlier, fear no wan may I write this test since last year as I know 2 ppl wey ETS flog, buh wen I saw it happening for guys I was inclined to invest my 43k grin

PS: I MIGHT BE WRONG IN SOME CASES, viewers discretion is advised

I didn't have access to the Powerprep effort the real tests. Would have loved it though. Also, I took one Magoosh practice test 2 days out. Even though it was ridiculously harder than my real tests, my scores in both are fairly the same.
Magoosh tests are overly pronounced on the vocabulary, which in my opinion does not reflect the real test.
There was only on ewers I couldn't get the meaning on my actual test.
I'd think ETS is keen on testing critical reasoning skills, more than ability to cram dense vocab.
So, by all means, one can only be fairly confident of the verbal after being exposed to different questions and passages, noting especially how the answer choices are diabolical and all seem utterly pleasing.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Cephas0009: 9:17pm On Dec 07, 2015
CarterIV:
Tanx bro #TeamHouston shey... Like we plenty looking in that direction o cheesy

Lol, me I don bone uh taytay since they couldn't help me find away around paying 4 d application fee... n besides competition is high @ uh (I think) but don't let dis discourage you. You might give it a try and it will go smoothly.. I also believe prayer n favour of God is d ultimate
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by CarterIV: 9:23pm On Dec 07, 2015
I know of the competition it's my first choice buh Wait, are there schools you don't pay application fee in US
Cephas0009:

Lol, me I don bone uh taytay since they couldn't help me find away around paying 4 d application fee... n besides competition is high @ uh (I think) but don't let dis discourage you. You might give it a try and it will go smoothly.. I also believe prayer n favour of God is d ultimate
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Cephas0009: 9:55pm On Dec 07, 2015
CarterIV:
I know of the competition it's my first choice buh Wait, are there schools you don't pay application fee in US

Lol, I don't mean it that way, I tried to pay the application fee and it fails @ every attempt (n I lose $1) for every attempt. I asked friends in uk and usa to both try with der cards and it didn't go through either, mailed dem n llaid my complaints, dey replied der is nothing dey can do, so I had to luck up (even though I av completed d whole process), my referee don submit recommendation, I don send all my docs)
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by CarterIV: 10:15pm On Dec 07, 2015
happyday:

I didn't have access to the Powerprep effort the real tests. Would have loved it though. Also, I took one Magoosh practice test 2 days out. Even though it was ridiculously harder than my real tests, my scores in both are fairly the same.
Magoosh tests are overly pronounced on the vocabulary, which in my opinion does not reflect the real test.
There was only on ewers I couldn't get the meaning on my actual test.
think ETS is keen on testing critical reasoning skills, more than ability to cram dense vocab
So, by all means, one can only be fairly confident of the verbal after being exposed to different questions and passages, noting especially how the answer choices are diabolical and all seem utterly pleasing.
Wat did you use on vocabulary... 90% words i was served wia new to me in filling blanks on the first verbal, really sure I missed all of it, although sentence completion was better...
Don't get bolded, *nods in agreement with italic*
Nt happy with that verbal performance at all
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by happyday: 7:47am On Dec 08, 2015
CarterIV:

Wat did you use on vocabulary... 90% words i was served wia new to me in filling blanks on the first verbal, really sure I missed all of it, although sentence completion was better...
Don't get bolded, *nods in agreement with italic*
Nt happy with that verbal performance at all
I used the Manhattan word list at the end of the 5lb, and the Top 100 Most Frequently Used Words on the GRE (crunch prep).
I meant all but one of the words were straightforward, and my pre - GRE vocab wasn't strong like that. Where the issue lies is being able to get the 'big picture' the mini - passage is trying to convey. Especially for those 3 blankers.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by CarterIV: 11:46am On Dec 08, 2015
OK... Must be wondering why am bashing you with questions... I am actually planning to re-write... That will be against PhD... May I see wat I fit do with this 1 first... Meanwhile who has taken IELTS abeg
happyday:

I used the Manhattan word list at the end of the 5lb, and the Top 100 Most Frequently Used Words on the GRE (crunch prep).
I meant all but one of the words were straightforward, and my pre - GRE vocab wasn't strong like that. Where the issue lies is being able to get the 'big picture' the mini - passage is trying to convey. Especially for those 3 blankers.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Cephas0009: 7:40pm On Dec 08, 2015
CarterIV:
OK... Must be wondering why am bashing you with questions... I am actually planning to re-write... That will be against PhD... May I see wat I fit do with this 1 first... Meanwhile who has taken IELTS abeg

I took IELTS july dis year
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by CarterIV: 7:52pm On Dec 08, 2015
Cephas0009:

I took IELTS july dis year
I hope discussing here is not derailing... Will pm u
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Cephas0009: 8:24pm On Dec 08, 2015
CarterIV:

I hope discussing here is not derailing... Will pm u

No wahala, but as long as it is something one or 2 person could gain from, I don't think it is regarded derailing

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 9:51am On Dec 09, 2015
bigfrancis21:

Exactly. Passing the GRE, getting admission, getting the visa are only but baby steps. Life in America is a whole different experience and it changes someone.
Please I need to find out an information from you,I applied (still in the process) into Texas A&M University -Commerce spring session;from my calculation I do not think I will make it into the spring session will this affect my admission or will I be shifted automatically into the next session which is summer.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 9:53am On Dec 09, 2015
DanjaNinja:
My people, life in america is a whole new ball game o. Passing the Gre and gettiong your visa is just the first step in a long list of hurdles you would have to scale to successfully study, live and work in america o. I'd be posting my experience of life in america soon. Knowledge is power and sharing is caring. Peace be on to you all and success to all who would be taking the GRE.
Please I need to find out an information from you,I applied (still in the process) into Texas A&M University -Commerce spring session;from my calculation I do not think I will make it into the spring session will this affect my admission or will I be shifted automatically into the next session which is summer.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by happyday: 10:28am On Dec 09, 2015
CarterIV:
OK. You must really love research and teaching. I'm guessing MSc, then PhD?? That ain't money again, that's passion!
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by happyday: 1:51pm On Dec 09, 2015
emmyluvly:
Congratulations bro! Am so happy for you. I don't mind coming to get all your materials ooo, irrespective of wherever u may be. Am willing to come.
Thank, but I used my phone throughout, as my I couldn't get hold of a laptop. Until few days to the test, when I took a Magoosh practice tests on a friend's PC.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 2:57pm On Dec 09, 2015
na 300 I knack o would write my experience in the night

4 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by bigfrancis21: 3:07pm On Dec 09, 2015
BiggyB242:

I think it all depends. If not given admission, your file could be kept for consideration for the following semester admission or you may have to re-apply for the following semester. I think it depends on the policy from school to school. Also, summer semester is not always available to start school in for some schools. It also depends on the course as well.

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 6:04pm On Dec 09, 2015
#GRE #EXPERIENCE
Wrote the GRE today @ Global Learning Institute, Abuja.

I actually started prep February using Baron but wasn't serious.
I dropped the book after a week but resumed prep in August(not consistent tho).
Read baron up to 3 times.
Used magoosh videos too very helpful.
Official ETS was also useful to some extent but I couldn't do any practice test and I think it affected me a lot.
Was really banking on QA but the story was different.
I checked out power prep a day to exam and I had 153 in QA 145 in VA.
I knew I had a long way to go.
EXAM EXPERIENCE
I didn't eat breakfast o.
we were checked in by 9:50am.
The issue task was great but I got lost in the argument.
First verbal and QA were medium. I think I got almost all the QA. Second verbal and QA were so hard that I felt like crying. Experimental section was Verbal.
Final score V 146 Q 154
Not great but I thank God.
I had a cgpa of 3.24/4 and I have a journal to my name.
Gunning for MSC in chemistry @ MSU, ETSU and UNH
To those that helped me, I'm grateful. This thread really helped.

6 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by pennstate(m): 6:39pm On Dec 09, 2015
Holudarey01:
#GRE #EXPERIENCE

Official ETS was also useful to some extent but I couldn't do any practice test and I think it affected me a lot.
EXAM EXPERIENCE
First verbal and QA were medium. I think I got almost all the QA. Second verbal and QA were so hard that I felt like crying. Experimental section was Verbal.
Final score V 146 Q 154
Congrat, go prosper.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 6:50pm On Dec 09, 2015
pennstate:
Congrat, go prosper.
thanks
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Cephas0009: 6:57pm On Dec 09, 2015
Holudarey01:
#GRE #EXPERIENCE

EXAM EXPERIENCE
Final score V 146 Q 154

Congratulations brother, success all the way
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by CarterIV: 7:38pm On Dec 09, 2015
Go ye into USA and prosper cheesy
Meanwhile I was going to post this, there is a school for every gre score

http://www.msinus.com/content/gre-universities-486/#.VldxauL3XIW

Holudarey01:
#GRE #EXPERIENCE

EXAM EXPERIENCE
Final score V 146 Q 154

3 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by CarterIV: 7:43pm On Dec 09, 2015
Kinda like learning Sha... Jes dat hustling has taking all the time... I think I belong in the academia even if shell calls today I'll crawl into their R&De..
grin
happyday:

OK. You must really love research and teaching. I'm guessing MSc, then PhD?? That ain't money again, that's passion!
buh money too is key ooo... Owo kudi ego shocked

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by CarterIV: 7:48pm On Dec 09, 2015
OK which resource will you recommend... Already looking through mangosh vocabulary for toefl tho
Cephas0009:

No wahala, but as long as it is something one or 2 person could gain from, I don't think it is regarded derailing
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 10:08pm On Dec 09, 2015
bigfrancis21:

I think it all depends. If not given admission, your file could be kept for consideration for the following semester admission or you may have to re-apply for the following semester. I think it depends on the policy from school to school. Also, summer semester is not always available to start school in for some schools. It also depends on the course as well.
Thank you

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (46) (47) (48) (49) (50) (51) (52) ... (618) (Reply)

The medical students and aspirants thread / Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.