Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,449 members, 7,816,039 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:27 AM

How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE - Education (506) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE (1351131 Views)

10 Youngest People Ever To Achieve A Doctorate Degree / Learn The Gre Word List / Tips On How To Pass The GRE. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (503) (504) (505) (506) (507) (508) (509) ... (618) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Tohsine: 12:42pm On Sep 05, 2019
user4321:

Congratulations on taking the step and getting here smiley

Kaplan and princeton review have very good material on verbal and AWA that proved quite helpful to me

The official ets math review is an excellent start
https://www.ets.org/s/gre/pdf/gre_math_review.pdf
and as others have said the Manhattan book is also very useful

Why spring though..... it's a weird admission season filled with excuses and what have you. But if that's what you can deal with, then ensure you squeeze the best out of it.

Thank you for the advice bro. God bless you

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Tohsine: 12:44pm On Sep 05, 2019
NwanyiOkpa:
For Quant i have discovered that the NOVA math textbook and Manhattan 5lb are very useful.

Alright ma. Thank you
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Sherlock5577: 6:37pm On Sep 05, 2019
Tohsine:
Good day everyone,
I wrote GRE last month.
Verbal: 143
Quant: 156
AWA: 3.5.

I intended to apply for the Spring 2020 admission. Needless to say, I used only one week to fully prepare for the test due to the nature of my job, although I have always been checking GRE vocabulary words on Magoosh flashcards during leisure time. I never knew my verbal and AWA skills were poor, perhaps because I did not have ample time to take the practice tests.
My questions:
Which ebook is the best for verbal and AWA? How can I improve these scores?
Which material can I use to study Data Interpretation as I was unable to solve some questions in that section on the test day?

Proposed Schools (PhD)?
Purdue University
University of Florida
Virginia Tech
Kansas State University

Area of Interests
Agricultural and Biological Systems Engineering or
Environmental Engineering

cc: user4321
EconMajor

Nice scores.
You should work on getting a potential supervisor if you haven't already.

Yes you can 2020!

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Emeritusseun(m): 7:01pm On Sep 05, 2019
Atom4s:

Congrats on your GRE score. I love your choice of schools but I will advise that you reconsider Vanderbilt and UV. They are highly ranked and it’s not really easy getting into their PhD programs even with high scores and a MS degree.
At least I am aware of the experience of a close relative who applied to the biological science program of UV. Mind you, I am not discouraging you from applying there.

Many thanks for your response and well detailed info. The irony about this is that both schools are my major schools, and main target. Anyway, I have always known Vanderbilt na high taste because of its mouth watering funding. All die na die. Thanks boss

I go add more schools.

#2020MustFall
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Tohsine: 8:08pm On Sep 05, 2019
Sherlock5577:

Nice scores.
You should work on getting a potential supervisor if you haven't already.

Yes you can 2020!

Thank you for the advice bro.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Atom4s(m): 6:48am On Sep 06, 2019
Emeritusseun:

Many thanks for your response and well detailed info. The irony about this is that both schools are my major schools, and main target. Anyway, I have always known Vanderbilt na high taste because of its mouth watering funding. All die na die. Thanks boss

I go add more schools.

#2020MustFall

You are welcome bro. You will be fine.
Since You have something for highly ranked schools, you can check penn state uni too. It is a little lower in ranking compared to those two, I think 59th or thereabout.
They no longer require GRE for the biomedical science program starting fall 2020, though admission is still competitive
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Emeritusseun(m): 7:51am On Sep 06, 2019
Atom4s:

You are welcome bro. You will be fine.
Since You have something for highly ranked schools, you can check penn state uni too. It is a little lower in ranking compared to those two, I think 59th or thereabout.
They no longer require GRE for the biomedical science program starting fall 2020, though admission is still competitive

Thanks bro. I will check up on Pen state Univ. One good thing about all the schools I listed in my first post is that they all don't require GRE for Biomedical/Biological sciences except ETSU.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Atom4s(m): 5:29pm On Sep 06, 2019
Emeritusseun:

Thanks bro. I will check up on Pen state Univ. One good thing about all the schools I listed in my first post is that they all don't require GRE for Biomedical/Biological sciences except ETSU.

Oh okay. Yes, many Biological science programs no longer require GRE. You will see more when you search.
You will be fine. Success!
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Emeritusseun(m): 6:56pm On Sep 06, 2019
Atom4s:

Oh okay. Yes, many Biological science programs no longer require GRE. You will see more when you search.
You will be fine. Success!

Thanks boss. I appreciate o. I am also open to any 'safest' school
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by morgang(m): 11:25pm On Sep 07, 2019
Hello everyone, I am entirely new on this platform, hence prompting me to ask help as regards fully funded schools on graduate assistantship.

Course of study- POLITICAL SCIENCE
GPA- 5.1/7.0 University of Ibadan standard (Unofficial WES)
Quantitative 154
Verbal 160
AWA 4.5

TOTAL GRE SCORE= 314

I feel terrible in my performance due to my poor background in maths and amidst tight schedules..

Apparently, I am totally oblivious and not sure of the schools to pick.. Top priority is BGSU but no fully funded assistantship in Public Administration except Department of History, I have written to Department of History and they are looking forward to my application. However, I need your help in recommending schools with full adequate funding for Graduate assistantships, or any relevant steps require to proceed and stand a better chance of getting admitted. Thanks

6 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by NwanyiOkpa(f): 11:01am On Sep 08, 2019
morgang:
Hello everyone, I am entirely new on this platform, hence prompting me to ask help as regards fully funded schools on graduate assistantship.

Course of study- POLITICAL SCIENCE
GPA- 5.1/7.0 University of Ibadan standard (Unofficial WES)
Quantitative 154
Verbal 160
AWA 4.5

TOTAL GRE SCORE= 314

I feel terrible in my performance due to my poor background in maths and amidst tight schedules..

Apparently, I am totally oblivious and not sure of the schools to pick.. Top priority is BGSU but no fully funded assistantship in Public Administration except Department of History, I have written to Department of History and they are looking forward to my application. However, I need your help in recommending schools with full adequate funding for Graduate assistantships, or any relevant steps require to proceed and stand a better chance of getting admitted. Thanks

You got 160 on Verbal for real. WOW

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by signalBen: 12:13pm On Sep 08, 2019
juliouze:

I don't understand this please, I'm in need of a tutorial center please.
I am soon. location: Ikotun

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by signalBen: 12:19pm On Sep 08, 2019
Rabato:
Please who is planning on taking the GRE exam soon, I am looking for a partner. Location surulere ijesha
I am. Location: Ikotun Egbe
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by morgang(m): 2:17pm On Sep 08, 2019
NwanyiOkpa:

You got 160 on Verbal for real. WOW

Lol yes
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by NwanyiOkpa(f): 6:49pm On Sep 08, 2019
morgang:

Lol yes

Trick pls
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 6:58pm On Sep 08, 2019
morgang:

Lol yes

Congratulations.

Just like you, my maths skills are basic. Unlike you, I'm in the science category although biology related (plant sciences to be exact). I'll like to know how you aced the verbal section (vivid elucidation please) as I intend using the section to get at least 310 overall. E bad e bad 300. My verbal reasoning is good (I've written a plethora of articles, presented, debated, vetted and edited publications etc).
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Enasdan(m): 7:00am On Sep 09, 2019
good morning everyone, please who knows where can I get a good GRE training centre in Benin City ?thanks for your contributions, suggestions and recommendations and are highly appreciated
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Mosminic(m): 9:36pm On Sep 09, 2019
So I wrote my test today, scored 315
Quant: 158
Verbal; 157

6 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by orlahtohbadt(m): 11:10pm On Sep 09, 2019
Mosminic:
So I wrote my test today, scored 315
Quant: 158
Verbal; 157
Lovely, please share your experience and how you prepared and what books you used. Thanks
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Sherlock5577: 1:02am On Sep 10, 2019
I'm so happy to see good scores coming in.
Please y'all should start getting commitments from potential supervisors, if you haven't.

I wish y'all the best!!

Yes you can 2020!
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by hybeenoni: 2:03am On Sep 10, 2019
@ Morgang apply to my School Texas tech University for Masters in Political Science, confirm funding for you, a naija came in this year for same course.

Also to the mathematics, Biology, Chemistry and Sociology guys, apply to my school too generous with funding.

For Mathematics in particular, with 310 GRE score, you will be admitted for Masters with funding for next fall, me department needs more students next year

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by horlahsunbo225(m): 5:27am On Sep 10, 2019
hybeenoni:
@ Morgang apply to my School Texas tech University for Masters in Political Science, confirm funding for you, a naija came in this year for same course.

Also to the mathematics, Biology, Chemistry and Sociology guys, apply to my school too generous with funding.

For Mathematics in particular, with 310 GRE score, you will be admitted for Masters with funding for next fall, me department needs more students next year
What of computer science
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by passionateyouth: 7:00am On Sep 10, 2019
Hello fam, I need help.

Course of study- Electrical Electronics Engineering
GPA- 4/5.0

I will be writing GRE in a few days.

I'm clueless and not sure of which schools to pick (schools that are generous with funding). Please, can anyone suggest schools that offer full funding for Graduate assistantships in courses like mine?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Mosminic(m): 7:16am On Sep 10, 2019
orlahtohbadt:
Lovely, please share your experience and how you prepared and what books you used. Thanks
My first section which is AWA went very smoothly, however 2nd Section (verbal) was hellish especially the RCs, I felt I had banged the test already, but my Quant Section was so easy, confidence came back. To be honest do not panic in the exam hall at all. The questions are not so different from the practice sets you are already seeing. Just keep calm.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Mosminic(m): 7:21am On Sep 10, 2019
I am applying to University o f Delaware, West Virginia University, University of Kentucky and University of Wyoming, PhD Analytical Chemistry
My profile: GRE 315, CGPA 4.66/5, TOEFL coming up
Research Experience with the ministry of mining and undergraduate research experience as well. Any thoughts and advice pls?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by NwanyiOkpa(f): 12:25pm On Sep 10, 2019
you people scoring up to 150 in verbal, i wonder how you guys are doing it. I cant even score up to 145 even after studying for 2 months. i am tired and it's becoming frustrating.

3 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by NwanyiOkpa(f): 12:26pm On Sep 10, 2019
Mosminic:
I am applying to University o f Delaware, West Virginia University, University of Kentucky and University of Wyoming, PhD Analytical Chemistry
My profile: GRE 315, CGPA 4.66/5, TOEFL coming up
Research Experience with the ministry of mining and undergraduate research experience as well. Any thoughts and advice pls?

Hello bro, please what materials did you study with?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by morgang(m): 2:02pm On Sep 10, 2019
hybeenoni:

Hi bro, I’m definitely looking looking that up on the school official website, however, I don’t have Toefl yet. Is that a compulsory requirement?

You mind asking you for your profile before the admission ?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Campuslink: 2:17pm On Sep 10, 2019
morgang:

Hi bro, I’m definitely looking looking that up on the school official website, however, I don’t have Toefl yet. Is that a compulsory requirement?

Register for your GRE, TOEFL or IELTS at unbeatable prices. There's FREE one-month training ongoing for all students that register through us. It's organised by MCF in conjunction with BOLSETH Training centre.
Venue: Bolseth Training Hub, 3, Ogunlesi st, Onipanu, Lagos.

For more information, visit www.mcfedututors.com/exam-registration or whatsapp 08132765285

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by hybeenoni: 3:40pm On Sep 10, 2019
morgang:

My profile is of no use to yours coz I'm in Mathematics department, you need to write TOEFL, don't limit your chances, that's my advice to you
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by NwanyiOkpa(f): 4:38pm On Sep 10, 2019
Someone should help me please. My Verbal score is not raining at all. it keeps dwelling in the 140 range. I need help
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Olayinka0872: 4:53pm On Sep 10, 2019
Hi guys,

With a TOEFL score of 96 and about writing GRE, Someone should kindly advise on the choice of schools with details below.

Course - Msc Civil Engineering.

Thank you.

(1) (2) (3) ... (503) (504) (505) (506) (507) (508) (509) ... (618) (Reply)

The medical students and aspirants thread / Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.