Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,692 members, 7,816,827 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:03 PM

How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE - Education (549) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE (1351653 Views)

10 Youngest People Ever To Achieve A Doctorate Degree / Learn The Gre Word List / Tips On How To Pass The GRE. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (546) (547) (548) (549) (550) (551) (552) ... (618) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Atom4s(m): 6:39am On Mar 27, 2020
kevwemanuel:
Greetings everyone.

I just wrote the GRE today after 1 week of preparation along side my preparation for IELTS, which is in 2 days time. The reason for this short duration of preparation is because I was given a short notice by the organization paying the fees. I however, struggled to score 150 in verbal and 155 in mathematics. Total 305

My questions are:
1) I have the GRE to take again in June (paid for already). Given the about 3 months duration from today, is it feasible to improve to a score of 325 and above? If yes, please I need suggestions on how to study. I used only ETS official verbal and quantitative in my preoaration.

2) In error, I didn't attempt the issue analytic writing but I attempted the argument case. I wrongly pressed the continue button and it took me to the argument case without me doing the issue case. How will this affect my score? Is there any thing I can do to save the situation?

Please I will appreciate answers from everyone knowledgeable on this.

Prepare the same way you did the first time.
GRE doesn’t depend on the length of time you spend on studying, neither does it depend on the number of books you read.
(1) Learn the concepts using the official guides, (2) practice essay writing using the pool of analytical writing essay topics on the ets site.
(3) If you have access to magoosh videos, you MAY watch.
(4) If you have time for the manhattan textbook to solve more problems, you MAY use it.
You might not do all these and still have 325. It depends on how fast you can learn the concepts.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by daytona555: 9:39am On Mar 27, 2020
AKAJ:

No qualms bro. How did you rectify yours? Did you get someone else genuine to offset it for you? How much did you pay?

No Bro. But I got into my dream school (Ivies) so fucck him but I still have something in store for him hopefully when this virus shiit clears off
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by AKAJ: 10:21am On Mar 27, 2020
Congratulations. Just let me know please.
daytona555:

No Bro. But I got into my dream school (Ivies) so fucck him but I still have something in store for him hopefully when this virus shiit clears off
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by talk2dre(m): 2:54pm On Mar 27, 2020
With the recent virus issue, is the exam still being written?
Either in mainland or island?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by ALT2(m): 6:18pm On Mar 28, 2020
Hello, with the current COVID-19 issue what's the possibility of the exam holding. My exam is scheduled for Monday 30th at Dragnet VI Lagos and I don't know what will happen regarding the interstate travel ban as I will be coming from Ibadan. Anyone writing on the same date?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Crane1: 10:52pm On Mar 28, 2020
Hello scholars in the house, it's being beneficial reading through the post on this thread and it so educatively informative.
I need your advice. My profile
BSC: Engineering Physics ( Graduated 5 years ago)
GPA: 4.51/5 ( wes unofficial 3.69/4)
Intended MSc/PhD course : Energy System or Data Science

I plan writing my GRE sometime in July, please kindly advice me on the best chance I have, the school I can get into with scholarship, and any other useful advice.
Also, does it matter that I have graduated 5 years ago and am just writing the GRE?

I will appreciate all the expert advice from everyone.

Thanks in advance
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by ponpon(m): 4:58am On Mar 29, 2020
Yeah
talk2dre:
With the recent virus issue, is the exam still being written?
Either in mainland or island?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by ponpon(m): 4:59am On Mar 29, 2020
Work experience is a big profile booster and a plus, might even be better you shoot for PhD straights. IMO focus on the exam
Crane1:
Hello scholars in the house, it's being beneficial reading through the post on this thread and it so educatively informative.

I plan writing my GRE sometime in July, please kindly advice me on the best chance I have, the school I can get into with scholarship, and any other useful advice.
Also, does it matter that I have graduated 5 years ago and am just writing the GRE?

Thanks in advance
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by ponpon(m): 4:59am On Mar 29, 2020
Send ets emails, make phone calls and check your schedule
ALT2:
Hello, with the current COVID-19 issue what's the possibility of the exam holding. My exam is scheduled for Monday 30th at Dragnet VI Lagos and I don't know what will happen regarding the interstate travel ban as I will be coming from Ibadan. Anyone writing on the same date?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by ALT2(m): 7:04am On Mar 29, 2020
ponpon:
Send ets emails, make phone calls and check your schedule

I have sent ets email already but only got autoreply, the phone number for Africa is not connecting too and the exam is still showing scheduled.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Johnadu: 12:36pm On Mar 29, 2020
I am in a similar situation also in ibadan. Any information Please

I have sent ets email already but only got autoreply, the phone number for Africa is not connecting too and the exam is still showing scheduled.[/quote]
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Sherlock5577: 1:59pm On Mar 29, 2020
Crane1:

Thanks in advance

You could check out Gradcafe. Gives you an idea of profiles which got accepted and funded by various schools.

https://www.thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php?q=Data+science

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by ALT2(m): 4:30pm On Mar 29, 2020
Johnadu:

I have sent ets email already but only got autoreply, the phone number for Africa is not connecting too and the exam is still showing scheduled.
Hmmn, is your exam tomorrow too? If no update I might just find a way to go for the exam. Money cannot go to waste
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Crane1: 5:27pm On Mar 29, 2020
Thank you for your response. I hope to focus on getting a high score in the exam.

ponpon:
Work experience is a big profile booster and a plus, might even be better you shoot for PhD straights. IMO focus on the exam
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Crane1: 5:30pm On Mar 29, 2020
Wow... really grateful for this information.

Sherlock5577:

You could check out Gradcafe. Gives you an idea of profiles which got accepted and funded by various schools.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by ponpon(m): 8:27pm On Mar 29, 2020
You can try their social media pages, most especially twitter, send a couple of DMs, read their latest news but I’ll say it’s kinda unfortunate but find a way to come down for the exam, if that’s the only option. Although, it’s not the smartest decision. You can also place a call to your center in lagos to know if they have the exam on schedule.
ALT2:

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by ALT2(m): 8:56pm On Mar 29, 2020
ponpon:
You can try their social media pages, most especially twitter, send a couple of DMs, read their latest news but I’ll say it’s kinda unfortunate but find a way to come down for the exam, if that’s the only option. Although, it’s not the smartest decision. You can also place a call to your center in lagos to know if they have the exam on schedule.

Thank you for the suggestion, my centre is Dragnet prometric centre at VI, I have tried all the number on their website and none is going through. Also, there Twitter account has no latest info. Anyone with how to contact them should kindly help.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by talk2dre(m): 3:15pm On Mar 30, 2020
ponpon:
Yeah
Thanks for your response.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by talk2dre(m): 3:18pm On Mar 30, 2020
ALT2:

Did you eventually write it?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by talk2dre(m): 3:20pm On Mar 30, 2020
Johnadu:

Did the exam take place?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Barigous: 3:45pm On Mar 30, 2020
This is from ETS Website
Due to the high volume of cancelled tests as a result of COVID-19, rescheduled test notifications to test takers are taking longer than normal. If there is a government quarantine that forces your test center to close, it may be several days before you are officially notified about your rescheduled test. You will continue to see your original test date in your account until it is rescheduled. We appreciate your patience and understanding as we work to notify all impacted test takers. ETS is waiving all rescheduling fees to assist test takers during this time.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by ALT2(m): 5:33pm On Mar 30, 2020
talk2dre:

Yes. Thanks
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by talk2dre(m): 6:46pm On Mar 30, 2020
ALT2:
Yes. Thanks
Okay.
All the best.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Crane1: 12:36am On Mar 31, 2020
I sent you a pm bro. Please look into it, I want to ask you some questions.
Thank you.
Sherlock5577:

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Vwendy: 12:42am On Mar 31, 2020
Please who's in Owerri Imo state, preparing for GRE or taken already?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by kaffy4tope(m): 2:12am On Mar 31, 2020
talk2dre:

You mean the ban is not effective??
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by kaffy4tope(m): 2:13am On Mar 31, 2020
ALT2:

Yes. Thanks

Is the ban effective?? Want to travel there from Ogun today
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by ALT2(m): 9:25am On Mar 31, 2020
kaffy4tope:

Is the ban effective?? Want to travel there from Ogun today

I think it is starting from today. I was told yesterday was the last test day as all tests has been postponed till further notice
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Barigous: 12:27pm On Mar 31, 2020
ALT2:

I think it is starting from today. I was told yesterday was the last test day as all tests has been postponed till further notice

Yeah. Earlier today, got mails from ETS and Prometric informing me of the postponement.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by mizodumade(f): 12:05pm On Apr 01, 2020
Good day Nairalanders!
I need your advise

My profile
B. Sc Microbiology (Graduated 5 years ago)
GPA: 4.37/5.00
Intended MSc/ PhD: Microbiology/Molecular Biology
GRE to be written in few months
No Publication
I am torn between applying for MSc or direct PhD because I don't have much research experience.

Please help
Thank you

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by geooxygen(m): 12:09pm On Apr 03, 2020
BSC: GEOLOGY( Graduated 18months ago)
GPA: 4.45/5
Intended PhD: Petroleum GEOLOGY or Paleontology

I plan writing my GRE in October, please kindly advice me on the best chance I have, the school I can get into with scholarship, and any other useful advise. With @ least 320 can I get full funding with no publications.

(1) (2) (3) ... (546) (547) (548) (549) (550) (551) (552) ... (618) (Reply)

The medical students and aspirants thread / Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016

Viewing this topic: ExpertNLer and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.