Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,899 members, 7,814,039 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 02:59 AM

Senate Dumps NIS Tragedy Probe Report - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Senate Dumps NIS Tragedy Probe Report (9063 Views)

Jonathan Presents Cheques & Appointment Letters To Victims Of NIS Tragedy - Pics / PTF Probe Report: Obasanjo’s Vindication Of Buhari Wrong / Video: How Farouk Lawan Asked Reps To Remove Otedola From Probe Report (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Senate Dumps NIS Tragedy Probe Report by supereagle(m): 1:14am On Jul 29, 2014
Fresh fact emerged on Monday that the senate leadership may not provide any platform for the consideration of the investigation conducted by its Committee on Interior over the ill-fated recruitment into the Nigerian Immigration Service, on March 15, this year.

Our correspondent noted that the report, which was submitted by the Chairman of the Committee, Senator Abubakar Bagudu, over two months ago, was not listed for consideration until the red chamber proceeded on its annual recess, which will end in September.

The development, according to further investigations, is currently fueling suspicion and fears among the general public that the report may eventually be thrown into the dust bin.

It will be recalled that the Senate had on March 18, this year, directed its Committee on Interior, to carry out a comprehensive probe into the circumstances that led to the recruitment tragedy which claimed 18 lives of job seekers at various recruitment centres and left several others injured.

The report of the Bagudu-led committee was submitted to the Senate some weeks behind schedule in May.

Further investigations carried out by our correspondent on the cause of the delay in the consideration of the report revealed that the report might not be considered at all because it was a verbatim report without the executive summary which should have contained recommendations.

It was also gathered that the committee allegedly took into consideration, the fact that the Minister of Interior, Mr. Abba Moro, who spearheaded the tragic exercise, is believed to be the political godson of the Senate President, David Mark.

Despite the assurance by the Chairman, Senate Committee on Rules and Business, Senator Ita Enang, two weeks ago that all outstanding reports before the upper chamber would be considered before the expiration of the Seventh Senate, some of his colleagues doubted the possibility of his claim.

A senator, who spoke with our correspondent on condition of anonymity because of the sensitive nature of the issue, argued that the report might not be considered by the Senate in September, because of the alleged closeness of the minister to the Senate President.

The senator maintained that such report would not be considered because it was likely to have implicated Moro based on the media report on the public hearing conducted by the committee that indicted the minister.

He said, “The Senate President who many believed influenced the appointment of Abba Moro as a minister in 2011, cannot do anything to hurt his political godson. Nothing can come out of the report because the minister involved is widely known to be like a political son to the Senate President apart from the fact that the duo are from the same ethnic group in Benue State.”

The senator added that based on information at his disposal, some of the committee members did not see the report before it was submitted to the Senate.

A member of the committee, who also pleaded anonymity, corroborated the claim of the senator.

However, the Chairman of the Committee, Bagudu, in a telephone interview with our correspondent on Monday, said no member of the committee could claim that he didn’t see the report before it was submitted to the Senate.

He said, “As far as I am concerned, every member of the committee made inputs into the report at the compilation stage as regards findings made about the recruitment tragedy and even contributed to the recommendations arrived at, at the end of the day.”

He added that since his committee had done its job, it was left for the appropriate committee to present it on the floor of the Senate for consideration and approval.

It will be recalled that the immigration recruitment tragedy of March this year occurred when the Ministry of Interior attempted to recruit about 5,000 young Nigerians into the NIS.

The Comptroller General of the NIS, David Paradang, had told the committee members during the public hearing that Moro did not carry him along in the ill-fated exercise.
http://www.punchng.com/news/senate-dumps-nis-tragedy-probe-report/
Re: Senate Dumps NIS Tragedy Probe Report by djfaithy: 1:27am On Jul 29, 2014
Hmmmmm so APC have finally swept this report under the carpet, wow "There is a very terrible country" hm wetin I dey talk self........ No it should be "There's a country on time bomb" hm hm clears throat.......... I no go talk say first to comment, but r.I.p to those guys that died for nothing....o ma se ooo

2 Likes

Re: Senate Dumps NIS Tragedy Probe Report by Sloan: 2:45am On Jul 29, 2014
Lmao....Naija people go suffer tire! Suffer suffer for world....

3 Likes

Re: Senate Dumps NIS Tragedy Probe Report by shadowwalker101: 4:37am On Jul 29, 2014
[img]http://www.?aff=391[/img] [img]http:///?k_id=utibeokodi[/img]
Politriks
Re: Senate Dumps NIS Tragedy Probe Report by ideycraze: 4:38am On Jul 29, 2014
Any attempted attempt by any individual to drop the report in order to protect an highly placed individual will be reciprocated by tragedy in their respective homes

28 Likes

Re: Senate Dumps NIS Tragedy Probe Report by futajallon: 4:39am On Jul 29, 2014
In Nigeria your vote don't count , it is only in Nigeria you know the president before voting naija una too much

last okuta: always keep 1 hundred

4 Likes

Re: Senate Dumps NIS Tragedy Probe Report by ideycraze: 4:42am On Jul 29, 2014
Any attempted attempt by any individual to drop the report in order to protect an highly placed individual will be reciprocated by incurable lunacy their respective homes

1 Like

Re: Senate Dumps NIS Tragedy Probe Report by padeolu: 4:45am On Jul 29, 2014
Impunity of the highest order. Everything just seem not to be right with this country
Re: Senate Dumps NIS Tragedy Probe Report by aminho(m): 4:53am On Jul 29, 2014
only in nigeria
Re: Senate Dumps NIS Tragedy Probe Report by GentleMimi: 4:56am On Jul 29, 2014
Political grandson my foot! Reason why corruption has taken over all aspects. Political godfathers hiding the sins of godsons
When i read the article some months back,i just knew it would take an outstanding miracle for the people involved to get accounted for. Money has prolly passed through hands...
Moreover,it would entail exposing certain people in the process.
Imagine! Not even in consideration after so long! Just because their kids do not need to fight for jobs,or get stampeded upon. Some peeps are so fvked up!

3 Likes

Re: Senate Dumps NIS Tragedy Probe Report by fitzmayowa: 4:58am On Jul 29, 2014
ideycraze: Any attempted attempt by any individual to drop the report in order to protect an highly placed individual will be reciprocated by tragedy in their respective homes

Amen

1 Like

Re: Senate Dumps NIS Tragedy Probe Report by Pointnoire(m): 4:58am On Jul 29, 2014
Honestly i never expected anything to come out of any of this committees even where there is International pressure nothing comes out na dis one!!!!!..... RIP to the Departed

1 Like

Re: Senate Dumps NIS Tragedy Probe Report by Rilwayne001: 5:00am On Jul 29, 2014
GEJ is going in 2015, in as much as our brain is actively working

19 Likes

Re: Senate Dumps NIS Tragedy Probe Report by fitzmayowa: 5:02am On Jul 29, 2014
GentleMimi: Political grandson my foot. Money has passed through hands...
When i read the article some months back,i just knew it would take an outstanding miracle for the money to get accounted for. That money is HUGE and those thieving politicians are insatiable.

The same thing happening over and over again...when billions of naira is involved the reports never gets anywhere....we are doomed in this country
Re: Senate Dumps NIS Tragedy Probe Report by Lilprocess(m): 5:06am On Jul 29, 2014
Ebele is a very dangerous disease, that if not tackle in time will transform into EBOLA .

22 Likes

Re: Senate Dumps NIS Tragedy Probe Report by maafen: 5:11am On Jul 29, 2014

It was also gathered that the committee allegedly took into
consideration, the fact that the Minister of Interior, Mr. Abba
Moro, who spearheaded the tragic exercise, is believed to be
the political godson of the Senate President, David Mark.
This is the relevant part ãпԃ summary φf tђε̲̣̣̣̥ whole thing even it the senate sit Fø̲̣̣я tђε̲̣̣̣̥ next 20 years nothing will be done about tђε̲̣̣̣̥ report. Tђε̲̣̣̣̥ committee as usual has wasted their time ãпԃ our money.

4 Likes

Re: Senate Dumps NIS Tragedy Probe Report by seanet02: 5:23am On Jul 29, 2014
PDP Powerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

4 Likes

Re: Senate Dumps NIS Tragedy Probe Report by blogexpert12(m): 5:24am On Jul 29, 2014
brb
Re: Senate Dumps NIS Tragedy Probe Report by Nobody: 5:27am On Jul 29, 2014
Nigerian politics..brb.
Re: Senate Dumps NIS Tragedy Probe Report by Descartes: 5:30am On Jul 29, 2014
Is that Abba Moro palaver
The report has been dead on arrival cheesy

1 Like

Re: Senate Dumps NIS Tragedy Probe Report by bcomputer101: 5:32am On Jul 29, 2014
BLOOD ARE CRYING...........

NIGERIA I HAIL THEE!

1 Like

Re: Senate Dumps NIS Tragedy Probe Report by Descartes: 5:36am On Jul 29, 2014
"It was also gathered that the committee allegedly took into consideration, the fact that the Minister of Interior, Mr. Abba Moro, who spearheaded the tragic exercise, is believed to be the political godson of the Senate President, David Mark."
The Report has been thrown out of the SINATE floor since as Tribunal threw out Ngige suit against Obiano tongue

5 Likes

Re: Senate Dumps NIS Tragedy Probe Report by NaLaugh: 5:39am On Jul 29, 2014
That's the story of naija.
Re: Senate Dumps NIS Tragedy Probe Report by ROCKJ1(m): 5:43am On Jul 29, 2014
Chai! Chai!! ...........
Re: Senate Dumps NIS Tragedy Probe Report by Nwogbe: 5:46am On Jul 29, 2014
What do you expect when mark's wife was named as part of those that ate the 1k(amounting to N6billion) that applicants paid??

10 Likes

Re: Senate Dumps NIS Tragedy Probe Report by Descartes: 5:52am On Jul 29, 2014
When Mark is busy marking time. If care is not taken,those legislooters will abandon the report for a mere petrodollar tongue embarassed embarassed
Re: Senate Dumps NIS Tragedy Probe Report by Nobody: 5:55am On Jul 29, 2014
Anybody who expects anything other than what OP is saying should wake up from his slumber. Welcome to Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Senate Dumps NIS Tragedy Probe Report by Cholison(m): 6:01am On Jul 29, 2014
Today they are in charge but one day history shall be in charge and will definitely hand out its judgement without bias.

6 Likes

Re: Senate Dumps NIS Tragedy Probe Report by Brotherman(m): 6:02am On Jul 29, 2014
is a pity that nothing will be done. in Nigeria if u want any case of national discuss to die and not be considered at all just set up a committee. when I look back and remember several committees and set up in the past to investigate issues of national interest and importance and there various reports are thrown under the ties.( not carpet because carpet can easily be opened) All the recommendations are never acted upon. My advice to all Nigerians in all u do NEVER ALLOW YOURSELF TO GO DOWN. nobody will speak for u

2 Likes

Re: Senate Dumps NIS Tragedy Probe Report by oduastates: 6:03am On Jul 29, 2014
These people are taking Nigerians for morons.
Wait,
They are actually morons.

1 Like

Re: Senate Dumps NIS Tragedy Probe Report by ejikechibuzor(m): 6:20am On Jul 29, 2014
Make I brush my teeth first

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Civil Society Help Stop Plot By Lagos Govt, World Bank To Privatise Water / South Africa Passes Law To Mark HIV Infected People At Their Genitals. (Photo) / PHOTOS: Governor Visits Birnin Kebbi Central Market Gutted By Fire

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.