Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,182 members, 7,822,001 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 12:38 AM

I Started The Saltwater Ebola Cure Rumor I Truely Am Sorry - Health (19) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / I Started The Saltwater Ebola Cure Rumor I Truely Am Sorry (95425 Views)

I DID NOT start the salt cure rumor, only created awareness of d hoax / Lady Who Started The Salt & Water Ebola Cure Rumour Comes Out, Tenders Apology / Ebola Cure? Nigeria Professor Research on treatment with Bitter Kola (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Started The Saltwater Ebola Cure Rumor I Truely Am Sorry by lekkie073(m): 6:28pm On Aug 08, 2014
ust stumbled on this. On vanguard newspapers enjoy!

The federal goverment,Friday, has said that two new cases of Ebola infection have been confirmed in Lagos.
This brings to seven new cases of Ebola in Lagos and a second death from the virus.
Also, the federal government warned against bathing with salt water being circulated via SMSs and the social media as a cure for Ebola, saying it will prosecute individuals who spread such false information.
Vanguard gathered that 139 people are under surveillance in Africa’s most populous country as panic over the spread of the diseases heightens.

source: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2014/08/ebola-two-fresh-cases-confirmed-lagos/
Re: I Started The Saltwater Ebola Cure Rumor I Truely Am Sorry by squad1: 6:41pm On Aug 08, 2014
@DaRealGeesam1 @op , If truely u started this... see what ur stupidity av caused.----> Ebola Scare: Two Feared Dead, 20 Others Hospitalised Over
Excessive Salt Consumption /1ydObV4

1 Like

Re: I Started The Saltwater Ebola Cure Rumor I Truely Am Sorry by mascot87(m): 6:45pm On Aug 08, 2014
DRealGeesam1: My confession and apology

Dear nairalanders and everyone who have heard of the ebola Prevention "News", My name is Adesewa, I am coming out clean because what started has a joke has escalated into the unprecedented.
How it started
Yesterday i was with friend in her hostel, we were talking about this Ebola out break, when one of my friends, Funke (she introduced me to nairaland) brought the idea of Us playing a prank on our friends. The first suggestion was to tell people that aloe very could cure Ebola, but we thought it would sound too ridiculous so we forgot about it.

Later that even an idea came to me (i now regret that i did it).
I decided to send a BBM broadcast message to my friends, telling them that the Ministry of Health has asked everyone to bathe with salt and warm water and drink some of it.
I sent the message 7:08pm yesterday

Later this midnight i started getting calls and messages that i should drink salt water and bath with it.

All efforts to tell people that i was the one who started the joke failed. Only my friends who i mentioned earlier believed me. Even my mum could me this morning, i did not know what to tell her.

I am using this medium to beg you all to warn and tell everyone, before they drink salt and damage their health.

Please dont be hash on me. I know this has gone out of hand. I never knew it will be this serious. Some have even added to the original message i sent.

My dear, I am very sorry but FG don dey find u
Re: I Started The Saltwater Ebola Cure Rumor I Truely Am Sorry by lekkie073(m): 7:02pm On Aug 08, 2014
mascot87:

My dear, I am very sorry but FG don dey find u but I hope they don't get u
At least two persons have been feared killed and 20 others hospitalised in various hospitals in Plateau State after consuming excessive quantity of salt and bitter kola to prevent Ebola Virus Disease (EVD) attack.

The two, according to a source in Shendam who spoke with our reporter on phone, were rushed to the hospital by their family members after they suddenly collapsed in the morning, having consumed too much of salt over night. They later died of high blood pressure in the hospitals.

According to medical personnel in the hospitals where the other patients are currently taking treatment in Jos, some developed ulcer, while others stool profusely, having consumed the table salt in excess.
Details to follow

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/ebola-scare-two-feared-dead-20-others-hospitalised-over-excessive-salt-consumption/185745/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

op see wetin u don't cause.....
Re: I Started The Saltwater Ebola Cure Rumor I Truely Am Sorry by Nobody: 7:08pm On Aug 08, 2014
^op didn't cause anything. Their stup.idity and ignorance did
Re: I Started The Saltwater Ebola Cure Rumor I Truely Am Sorry by myhobbies(m): 7:10pm On Aug 08, 2014
That's why I like Ele-ele school..... You can use phone in the school but only if it is Nokia torch..
Playing prank my foot.. Nigerians take everything as joke even when serious things are happening.
Nonsense.
Re: I Started The Saltwater Ebola Cure Rumor I Truely Am Sorry by Kalvan300: 7:13pm On Aug 08, 2014

Dear nairalanders and everyone who have heard of the ebola Prevention "News", My name is Adesewa, I am coming out clean because what started has a joke has escalated into the unprecedented.
How it started
Yesterday i was with friend in her hostel, we were talking about this Ebola out break, when one of my friends, Funke (she introduced me to nairaland) brought the idea of Us playing a prank on our friends. The first suggestion was to tell people that aloe very could cure Ebola, but we thought it would sound too ridiculous so we forgot about it.

I decided to send a BBM broadcast message to my friends, telling them that the Ministry of Health has asked everyone to bathe with salt and warm water and drink some of it.

Later this midnight i started getting calls and messages that i should drink salt water and bath with it.

All efforts to tell people that i was the one who started the joke failed. Only my friends who i mentioned earlier believed me. Even my mum could me this morning, i did not know what to tell her.

I am using this medium to beg you all to warn and tell everyone, before they drink salt and damage their health.

Please dont be hash on me. I know this has gone out of hand. I never knew it will be this serious. Some have even added to the original message i sent.

You and the boneheads that believed you, should be executed. You're dragging down the average African IQ.
Re: I Started The Saltwater Ebola Cure Rumor I Truely Am Sorry by kamo2930yahoo(f): 7:15pm On Aug 08, 2014
I just saw on Bellanaija's twitter handle that 2 people are dead and 20 hospitalised in Jos due to over consumption of salt.
Re: I Started The Saltwater Ebola Cure Rumor I Truely Am Sorry by Horus(m): 7:18pm On Aug 08, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qe3_r86TO0

[size=15pt]Members of the public react to Rumour of Salt & Water Solution as Prevention for Ebola virus[/size]

Residents in Benin City work up this morning to receive an unconfirmed information on their mobile phones and social network asking them to fortify themselves against the Ebola Virus by bathing with warm water mixed with salt.
Re: I Started The Saltwater Ebola Cure Rumor I Truely Am Sorry by gustavo440: 7:21pm On Aug 08, 2014
this is a sick joke!
Re: I Started The Saltwater Ebola Cure Rumor I Truely Am Sorry by successways(f): 7:25pm On Aug 08, 2014
DRealGeesam1:
What is it with you? Have you never played any prank on your friends before?
Respect yourself...
Quote me again and see

You play pranks with trivial matters not serious cases such as Ebola that is becoming the world's deadliest disease(death within 2weeks). Have you ever thought of it...what if someone allergic went through the process and died what woulld you have done?? Hope you learn from this.

1 Like

Re: I Started The Saltwater Ebola Cure Rumor I Truely Am Sorry by Mistermamus(m): 7:26pm On Aug 08, 2014
2 dead and 20 hospitalized in jos hospital after excessive consumption of salt OP c wetin u n ya crew cause now dere death be on ya head murderer!!
Re: I Started The Saltwater Ebola Cure Rumor I Truely Am Sorry by fabulousdame(f): 7:27pm On Aug 08, 2014
mindurbiznes:

naturalingredient.org/Articles/salt.htm

"I initially thought I had flea bites, and so
took a warm bath in salt water and
covered myself and fresh bedding in olbas
oil and tiger balm. However on further
investigation and research, it is almost
certain that I had scabies - after the
above treatment the relief was immediate
and dramatic. All blotches, redness and
itching disappeared totally in 24 hours, so
something clearly worked"

I think this sarcasm is unnecessary; more like SALT upon injury
does ebola sound like scabies to u? last time i checked it was a virus..lemme know when pepper and maggi cures hiv..den i can bath wit salt water. smh
Re: I Started The Saltwater Ebola Cure Rumor I Truely Am Sorry by Nobody: 7:44pm On Aug 08, 2014
ifyfaith: I'm not sure u started it cos u said it was 7:08pm u started d rumour but I heard abt it yesterday around 3pm

correct. He is a liar..
Re: I Started The Saltwater Ebola Cure Rumor I Truely Am Sorry by Nobody: 7:47pm On Aug 08, 2014
DRealGeesam1:
Mr man! No insult please!
Mtcheww.
I was just kidding with my friends, i did not even say they should rebroadcast it! It was later that i saw the message that said people Should rebroadcast. Who asked them to edit the message i sent!

Please let us be matured.

ur a cheap liar, u Did not start anything.
Re: I Started The Saltwater Ebola Cure Rumor I Truely Am Sorry by CANDLEZ: 7:51pm On Aug 08, 2014
Tapout....btwn d 2 of u who is a child?? She dat apologised or u dat keeps on saying she is a child?
Re: I Started The Saltwater Ebola Cure Rumor I Truely Am Sorry by Bwaal(m): 7:57pm On Aug 08, 2014

How it started

Re: I Started The Saltwater Ebola Cure Rumor I Truely Am Sorry by Bwaal(m): 7:59pm On Aug 08, 2014

How it started

Now yu av killed 2 inocent citizens wiff ur useless jokes u call fun

idiot

https://www.nairaland.com/1849116/ebola-scare-2-feared-dead20
Re: I Started The Saltwater Ebola Cure Rumor I Truely Am Sorry by CANDLEZ: 7:59pm On Aug 08, 2014
Mah dear its good u popped out...God is with us,u might just hav helped cured some poor ppls skin infections dat might av been givin. Dem sleepless nyt on hw to get cured,jst beliv in d adage dat says "everytin wrks 4 good"nd be carefull nxt tym
Re: I Started The Saltwater Ebola Cure Rumor I Truely Am Sorry by flarish(m): 8:12pm On Aug 08, 2014
overdrive: U only added more money to oga Dangote pocket.
Him go smile go bank now..... Bcareful next time, dat joke was to expensive @rumourmongers
Re: I Started The Saltwater Ebola Cure Rumor I Truely Am Sorry by tall2ce(m): 8:13pm On Aug 08, 2014
very good u came out to apologise
Re: I Started The Saltwater Ebola Cure Rumor I Truely Am Sorry by Mrsilya: 8:15pm On Aug 08, 2014
Mrs girl, of course u shld expect some insults. No body is gonna give a clap for what you've done ( spank d child with d right hand and papmer him with d left). Although I didn't fall for d rumour but my one year old son was a victim. He is presenly purging because of d salt solution(given to him at his grandma's). Pls don't do dat again, be carefull with d things u joke about it might cause someone his or her life.
Re: I Started The Saltwater Ebola Cure Rumor I Truely Am Sorry by Idrismusty97(m): 8:29pm On Aug 08, 2014
Mrsilya: Mrs girl, of course u shld expect some insults. No body is gonna give a clap for what you've done ( spank d child with d right hand and papmer him with d left). Although I didn't fall for d rumour but my one year old son was a victim. He is presenly purging because of d salt solution(given to him at his grandma's). Pls don't do dat again, be carefull with d things u joke about it might cause someone his or her life.
It has already did. OP the blood of two innocent citizens is in your hand.
Re: I Started The Saltwater Ebola Cure Rumor I Truely Am Sorry by prince18950(m): 8:38pm On Aug 08, 2014
How can such things come to your mind and why do you have to play such prank now or don't you have other ways to play prank? Do you know how many people I have to apologize to because of this nonsense act of yours and my grand pa even got angry with me because he thinks I was playing around with nOnsense words. Do not try next time and u also deserve an award fOr this because nobody could ague ur lie
Re: I Started The Saltwater Ebola Cure Rumor I Truely Am Sorry by Dawinlove(m): 8:40pm On Aug 08, 2014
West Africa is agog with fear of the deadly
Ebola hemorrhagic fever, multiple recipes of
potential “folk remedies” have flooded the
minds of Nigerians. Particularly, persistent
suggestion that bathing in or drinking hot
water and salt solution prevents and/or cures
Ebola virus disease has been circulating widely
among the public.
Today, however, Information Minister Labaran
Maku and Health Minister Onyebuchi Chukwu
have both denied “healing” properties of the
brine solution (a mix of large salt quantities and
water), Premium Times and Daily Trust report,
and warned Nigerians against believing such
unfounded claims. The ministers advised us to
observe “maximum environmental and personal
hygiene to guard against contracting the deadly
virus” .
After receiving scores of messages from our
readers who insisted on “spreading the news”
of the newfound “cure,” Naij.com has tried to
trace the origins of the aforementioned hearsay.
This morning, a Nairaland forum user Adesewa
posted a message confessing of and
apologizing for “starting” the “hot-water-and-
salt” Ebola cure rumour.
“I am coming out clean because what
started has a joke has escalated into the
unprecedented,” Adesewa said and
explained that yesterday (Thursday,
August 7), a friend has suggested they
“play a prank” on their friends by
broadcasting a BBM message which said
“the Ministry of Health has asked
everyone to bathe with salt and warm
water and drink some of it.”
The news started spreading immediately , and
Adesewa personally got a number of calls and
messages persuading him to follow the mock
advice.
“All efforts to tell people that I was the
one who started the joke failed. … Even
my mum could me this morning, I did
not know what to tell her.
“Please don’t be harsh on me. I know
this has gone out of hand. I never knew
it would be this serious,” Adesewa
begged.
Although it is impossible to confirm or deny
whether Adesewa was indeed the one to initiate
the rumour, the story shows clearly how gullible
people easily fall for a simple Internet lie .
Luckily, some Nigerians have been trying to get
through to others and convince them to be
guided by common sense instead of blindly
following questionable information.
Muhammadu Buhari has, too, taken to his
Facebook account urging his fellow Nigerians to
“spread the message about the virus and create
the necessary awareness among local
populace” . He also reminded that “there is no
any non-scientific or non-medical approach to
dealing with the disease. Any such
unconventional approach only increases the risk
of infection and endangers public health safety” .
Re: I Started The Saltwater Ebola Cure Rumor I Truely Am Sorry by SENESCO(m): 8:57pm On Aug 08, 2014
DRealGeesam1:
Mr man! No insult please!
Mtcheww.
I was just kidding with my friends, i did not even say they should rebroadcast it! It was later that i saw the message that said people Should rebroadcast. Who asked them to edit the message i sent!

Please let us be matured.
D guy is matured bt u r d 1 dat is immature wit ur nitwitted brain. I also saw d msg on bbm dis mornin bt I neva pass d msg 2 my friends coz I didn't bliv it.
I even wonda y some Nairalanders bliv ur claims, CAN'T DEY C DAT U R JUST TRYIN 2 CREATE AWARENESS ON DIS FORUM?.
@op u r d 1st person I wil insult on dis forum. Dnt quote me coz I dnt want 2 continue commentin on ur spewed poo.
Re: I Started The Saltwater Ebola Cure Rumor I Truely Am Sorry by buske(m): 9:12pm On Aug 08, 2014
Babe.. You did something without bad intentions but it turned out bad.. Any insults being rendered on u now is just a normal emotion reaction.. Take them in good faith and apologize.
Re: I Started The Saltwater Ebola Cure Rumor I Truely Am Sorry by MckenzieMikel(m): 9:20pm On Aug 08, 2014
cry
Hope u know how many people u don kill? Those who die of heart attack trying to reach their loved ones far and near! Those who died of hypertension!

Nigerians are the reason Nigeria is like this. Well done ma. Even though I know u r not d originator of d msg. U r just looking for cheap popularity through social media. I know say if say nobody reply u here for nairaland u for jes bury ur bleeped up head in shame.

Americans are looking for cure Nigerians are playing pranks causing panic and fooling around.

Make God help una. U even get d guts to come lie err for us. Tis jes due to d lawlessness of our society else u should be locked up and d keys thrown away weda u sent d msg or not. Atleast for coming out to say trash.

1 Like

Re: I Started The Saltwater Ebola Cure Rumor I Truely Am Sorry by 4everisaac(m): 9:35pm On Aug 08, 2014
DRealGeesam1:
...My room mates can bear me witness.

As if dem wan give u award.
Re: I Started The Saltwater Ebola Cure Rumor I Truely Am Sorry by Azo(m): 10:16pm On Aug 08, 2014
The solution to all these is that FG create more jobs cos I can see how much time idleness has offered for all to clamour on flimsy case. Although if OP started it., she must be as stu pid as those that took it in.. Propagating false claims naturally is inhumane so whether or not she meant, she was wrong to start. Although i feel she is an impersonator...

1 Like

Re: I Started The Saltwater Ebola Cure Rumor I Truely Am Sorry by beeznitfizo: 10:36pm On Aug 08, 2014
The POLICE & DSS has already been to Jibowu Hostel 2day and made some arrest.The two girls who bear the name funke who live within that viccinity were also arrested & they both testified they know nothing about the rumour nor u. U hv made Dekoites n Jadesola's run 4m hostel 2 bc of threat of police invasion. U hv put innocent people in trouble

africanrapper: I did a search on the poster's identity and found out some amusing things/facts:

First of all, I don't know why this poster claims to have started the Salt Bath rumour. I'm tempted to believe the guys who say he is looking for cheap attention.

I discovered from his other account that this poster is MALE - and not FEMALE (as he wants us to believe).
His other account also had the emblem or insignia of his company - GEESAM and his real names (MUYIWA OLAGOKE) on it.
I checked him out on Facebook and found about 3 people with the same names, but when I narrowed down my search parameters, it got me a 'MUYIWA OLAGOKE' who is an indigene of Osogbo, but lives in Akure, studied at the Federal University of Technology Akure and operates a small-scale Business called GeeSam Renewable Energy Limited.

I just heard that some SSS operatives have arrested some girls at FUTA who go by name FUNKE and are currently on a man-hunt for one Adesewe, who claimed to have started the Salt Bath rumour.

His phone number (PhoneNumber:08064837161; BBM: 28C98F98 ; Email: geesamuyiwa@gmail.com) and other details are displayed on his Facebook account. Even downloaded some of his pics (should anything happen to those girls arrested today by the SSS operatives).

Personal Message to the OP:
Guy, I don't understand what you are doing, but I just heard that the SSS has arrested some girls named Funke this afternoon at Jibowu Hostel of FUTA. This your madness has got to stop.

#africanrapper

U also made d headlines on
www.naij.com/70951.html

MUYIWA OLAGOKE,now that ur identity has been known, u hv already bn reported 2 FUTA security. I pity u bc ur file may be pulled and ur Certificate withdrawn if u really were a graduate here. U owe Jibowites an apology bc u hv caused them so much pain 2day. U better go and report urself 2 Oba-nla police station bc d 2 Funke gals are nt yt back

3 Likes

Re: I Started The Saltwater Ebola Cure Rumor I Truely Am Sorry by honygold: 10:44pm On Aug 08, 2014
Adesewa prepare to face the wrath of law, FG will track u down,u said u stay in jibowu hostel In FUTA,prepare to finish your education behind the bar. Public nuisance.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (Reply)

Man Wears Snake Instead Of Face Mask In A Commercial Bus In England / French Doctors Say 'Test Coronavirus Vaccines In Africa", Eto’o, Drogba React / Mum Infects Her 17 Children With Coronavirus In US As She Didn't Show Symptoms

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.