Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,665 members, 7,816,716 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:51 PM

Heavy Fighting As Troops Engage Boko Haram In Gwoza - Many Soldiers Died... - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Heavy Fighting As Troops Engage Boko Haram In Gwoza - Many Soldiers Died... (37754 Views)

Troops Engage In Clearance Operation,Destroy More Boko Haram Camps In Borno(pics / Breaking:female Suicide Bomber Hits Army Checkpoint.many Soldiers Feared Dead / Heavy Fighting In Bagana Kogi State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Heavy Fighting As Troops Engage Boko Haram In Gwoza - Many Soldiers Died... by hardbody: 6:01pm On Aug 12, 2014
lastpage:

Are you even remotely aware that despite this your "BIAFRAN RANT", some of the gallant Nigerian soldiers who are laying there life down for Nigeria and whom you are also insulting here .......are of IGBO extraction?

And when the war is finally won, do you think we should not recognize the contributions of these gallant [b]Igbo soldiers
as well?[/b]

I wont abuse you, rather l will implore you to STOP shooting yourself in the leg, it is "self-defeating"!

If and when the "Whites" pay restitution to Nigeria for the Slave Trade, maybe we will consider your request, till then, Support the Nigerian Army 110%. wink wink

Lastpage!

When the war is finally won (if and when that happens), you will NEVER stop calling those 'so called soldiers of igbo extraction' names. You will always remember they tried to secede and by forming Biafra, remain condemned till eternity. Y'all make it sound like self determination is a crime against humanity for which all igbos must suffer forever. You will not accord them any recognition. Having said that, any igbo who is fighting for the emancipation of the North is doing that at his own peril. I will neither empathize with him or sympathize with his people when the expected happens. As a good student of history, it has become obvious to me that selfishness is the way to go in this contraption called Nigeria. There was a country, but it is no more. For me it is 'to your tents oh Israel'.

1 Like

Re: Heavy Fighting As Troops Engage Boko Haram In Gwoza - Many Soldiers Died... by komekn(m): 7:30pm On Aug 12, 2014
enomakos: seconded

The question is not so much what the capacity of Boko Haram is, but what the infrastructural and armed capacity of the Nigerian armed forces actually is

What are the attributes, equipment, training, infrastructure, etc that's required of a modern army in today conflict,

Consider operation Serval by largely the French in northern Mali routed the Islamic maghreb and all its Al Qaeda affiliates essentially within weeks, that operation has since been scaled down but extended across Niger,Chad and to date not more than 10 French soldiers have died compared to near thousand of Islamic militants killed.

The Nigerian army still uses antiquated AK47's with no optic sights, using 1970's T55 tanks, 1980's Vickers Eagle and Scorpion tanks, Light armoured vehicles like the Otokar Cobra, Streit Spartan, and has troops exposed in the back of soft skinned pick ups. All of these platforms are not fit for purpose.

Air force assets mainly are 3rd generation ,that's 40 year old technology.

Across the board we lack precision weaponry, we are outdated and if you add corruption then were out gunned.

Its like somebody is still using Dos software, when windows was introduced near 20years ago, that's how bad it is,

Our battlefield strategy in the context of modern warfare is NON-EXISTENT.

3 Likes

Re: Heavy Fighting As Troops Engage Boko Haram In Gwoza - Many Soldiers Died... by komekn(m): 7:36pm On Aug 12, 2014
princenayo: The truth of the matter is that our military has all it takes to end insurgency in the north if the northerners are ready to corporate with the our troops by providing valuable information to our security Agencies.

Don't agree with you, the assumption that there is general support for Boko is not true, there are supporters but is not the larger populace and or Northern elite, admittedly there are disgruntled self seeking elements within the North supporting Boko but they are a small minority.

The problem is we do not have the infrastructural military capacity to deal with situation, THE MILITARY LACKS CAPACITY Conflict is no longer settled by numbers but quality, precision military hardware
Re: Heavy Fighting As Troops Engage Boko Haram In Gwoza - Many Soldiers Died... by tit(f): 7:56pm On Aug 12, 2014
komekn:

Don't agree with you, the assumption that there is general support for Boko is not true, there are supporters but is not the larger populace and or Northern elite, admittedly there are disgruntled self seeking elements within the North supporting Boko but they are a small minority.

The problem is we do not have the infrastructural military capacity to deal with situation, THE MILITARY LACKS CAPACITY Conflict is no longer settled by numbers but quality, precision military hardware

So which precision military hardware does BH possess?
Just AA guns and equipment "stolen" from the NA?

I read all kinds of stuff here.
1) First some people say BH has superior weapons.
it is pointed out that BH only has technicals and stolen equipment.
2) They now say the NA has orders not to use their big guns so as to minimize collateral damage
Which officer would take assault rifles to confront HMGs? Who is foolish enough to take a knife to a gun-fight?
Definitely nit the officers and men of the NA. Are they on drugs on something?
3) Others now point to the lack of 24/7 coverage by aerial platforms.
So what? The NA has howitzers and other heavy artillery that could reach you from many miles away.

It is foolish to try to engage BH in infantry maneuvers when you have other less costly options.
The longer this goes on, the more fear-factor the NA loses.
A video of a burnt out convoy of BH technicals would restore that fear factor much better than slitting the throats of opiumed pawns.
Re: Heavy Fighting As Troops Engage Boko Haram In Gwoza - Many Soldiers Died... by komekn(m): 8:05pm On Aug 12, 2014
What I am saying is that we lack precision weaponry ourselves, what gives you advantage is the level of your equipment, communications and armour.

For example we use the Otokar Cobra its light armoured, a 50 cal. (Boko have this in abundance) will penetrate, the 20mm they have on the their pick ups will rip it apart.

Secondly we don't even have enough of them, what we should have are IFV infantry fighting vehicles and up to date APC's with remote weapon stations I am talking near 100% accuracy at 1.5km with a 30mm.

We are fighting a war with 2/3 attack helicopters that's ridiculous.
Re: Heavy Fighting As Troops Engage Boko Haram In Gwoza - Many Soldiers Died... by Kevsman(m): 8:13pm On Aug 12, 2014
chai, Nigeria is in trouble, the soldiers are ready to fight, but the senior officers are the once killing their moral

2 Likes

Re: Heavy Fighting As Troops Engage Boko Haram In Gwoza - Many Soldiers Died... by komekn(m): 8:22pm On Aug 12, 2014
Kevsman: chai, Nigeria is in trouble, the soldiers are ready to fight, but the senior officers are the once killing their moral

The word is [b]CORRUPTION [/b]if you have an idea of military procurement costings, then you will understand why all these generals can afford houses in Miatama.

Thats why we are struggling with boko 2nd hand substandard outdated equipment
Re: Heavy Fighting As Troops Engage Boko Haram In Gwoza - Many Soldiers Died... by tit(f): 8:23pm On Aug 12, 2014
komekn: What I am saying is that we lack precision weaponry ourselves, what gives you advantage is the level of your equipment, communications and armour.

For example we use the Otokar Cobra its light armoured, a 50 cal. (Boko have this in abundance) will penetrate, the 20mm they have on the their pick ups will rip it apart.

Secondly we don't even have enough of them, what we should have are IFV infantry fighting vehicles and up to date APC's with remote weapon stations I am talking near 100% accuracy at 1.5km with a 30mm.

We are fighting a war with 2/3 attack helicopters that's ridiculous.

You mean the NA officers are mumu?
That they bring light armor when the enemy has 50 cal and 20mm?
Is that not the classical bringing a knife to a gunfight?
Na him be say you wan die.
Why should the NA even faceoff 50 cal and 20 mm with 30mm.
Are they trying to play fair?
Shuoooo?
Do they not have big guns?
Get the BH technicals into a kill zone
And let the big guns do the rest.
All your Otokar and 30mm and Ak47 should just be for "clean-up".
Who fights fair these days?

On CNN today, Kurds are recapturing towns from ISIS.
even ISIS no wan die.
they are running away from the fight.

1 Like

Re: Heavy Fighting As Troops Engage Boko Haram In Gwoza - Many Soldiers Died... by tit(f): 8:25pm On Aug 12, 2014
komekn:

The word is [b]CORRUPTION [/b]if you have an idea of military procurement costings, then you will understand why all these generals can afford houses in Miatama.

Thats why we are struggling with boko 2nd hand substandard outdated equipment

our big guns and howitzers are very functional and fit for purpose.
Re: Heavy Fighting As Troops Engage Boko Haram In Gwoza - Many Soldiers Died... by komekn(m): 8:29pm On Aug 12, 2014
tit:

our big guns and howitzers are very functional and fit for purpose.

No they are NOT, in an urban setting to reduce collateral damage and civilian casualties you need PRECISION WEAPONRY they are not accurate, your talking could hit anything within a 500 metres radius if your lucky.
Re: Heavy Fighting As Troops Engage Boko Haram In Gwoza - Many Soldiers Died... by juman(m): 8:36pm On Aug 12, 2014
Actionleap: How much did IBB gave to OIC to Islamize Nigeria? $20billion! This is why we are where we are. By the time BH is through with Nigeria, all of you talking trash because you have free access to the internet would wonder how we got here. This is a war long prepared by the Islamist. They believe their religion is superior to the constitution. Thank God for raising a mad man like Abacha who peed on their devilish Sultanate by removing Dasuki and replacing him with Maccido. The Fulani dynasty and their evil form of religion will die on this soil. All their evil plan will perish. A time will come that it'll be a shame to be associated with these animals in human skin who has no respect for human lives. We must all join all hands together to push back this evil men and women and send them back to their desert where demons like them belong.

You are wrong.

It is just that the core northern leaders are more irresponsible than the leaders of other region.
Re: Heavy Fighting As Troops Engage Boko Haram In Gwoza - Many Soldiers Died... by juman(m): 8:39pm On Aug 12, 2014
The government is not capable in stopping boko haram because of excessive corruption.

1 Like

Re: Heavy Fighting As Troops Engage Boko Haram In Gwoza - Many Soldiers Died... by Litmus: 8:43pm On Aug 12, 2014
juman: The government is not capable to stop boko haram because of excessive corruption.

The military can but first they must find out what it is they're fighting. Nigeria does not appear to know what they're fighting.

BTW

what a public relations nightmare Nigerian military wives handed the enemy shocked shocked

... since the dawn of human warfare the barbarians have always mocked the foe, that "we will slaughter your men and leave your wives and mothers weeping in the dirth..."
Re: Heavy Fighting As Troops Engage Boko Haram In Gwoza - Many Soldiers Died... by komekn(m): 8:47pm On Aug 12, 2014
Litmus:

The military can but first they most find out what it is they're fighting. Nigeria does not appear to know what they're fighting.

BTW

what a public relations nightmare Nigerian military wives handed the enemy shocked shocked

Yes they do they are waiting patiently with brazen disregard for the NA in broad day light in GWOZA
Re: Heavy Fighting As Troops Engage Boko Haram In Gwoza - Many Soldiers Died... by Litmus: 8:56pm On Aug 12, 2014
you're all guilty.

You see, if you don't value your nation your leaders will value it even less.. it is very rarely the other way around.
Re: Heavy Fighting As Troops Engage Boko Haram In Gwoza - Many Soldiers Died... by juman(m): 9:12pm On Aug 12, 2014
Litmus: you're all guilty.

You see, if you don't value your nation your leaders will value it even less.. it is very rarely the other way around.

You are probably a teenager, the way you states your things.

Its the responsibility of the leaders to lead the country to great height not the other way round.

nigerian leaders are bad.

1 Like

Re: Heavy Fighting As Troops Engage Boko Haram In Gwoza - Many Soldiers Died... by Litmus: 9:50pm On Aug 12, 2014
juman:

You are probably a teenager, the way you states your things.

Its the responsibility of the leaders to lead the country to great height not the other way round.

nigerian leaders are bad.

Yours is the conventional wisdom but you'll find this reasoning flawed if you think deeply enough about it.
Re: Heavy Fighting As Troops Engage Boko Haram In Gwoza - Many Soldiers Died... by juman(m): 9:56pm On Aug 12, 2014
Litmus:

Yours is the conventional wisdom but you'll find this reasoning flawed if you think deeply enough about it.

For example:

When gen buhari was leader, there was war against indiscipline (WAI). But when ibb became leader the indiscipline multiplied.
Re: Heavy Fighting As Troops Engage Boko Haram In Gwoza - Many Soldiers Died... by Willybos(m): 9:58pm On Aug 12, 2014
RIP our solders
Re: Heavy Fighting As Troops Engage Boko Haram In Gwoza - Many Soldiers Died... by Nobody: 10:14pm On Aug 12, 2014
Ride on Nigerian Armed Forces on ground and on air! We the good citizens are behind you....WELLDONE!!! R.I.P to the soldiers that lost their lives...r
Re: Heavy Fighting As Troops Engage Boko Haram In Gwoza - Many Soldiers Died... by tit(f): 11:30pm On Aug 12, 2014
komekn:

No they are NOT, in an urban setting to reduce collateral damage and civilian casualties you need PRECISION WEAPONRY they are not accurate, your talking could hit anything within a 500 metres radius if your lucky.

You make me laugh.
Havent the civilians fled Gwoza?
Is BH throwing a party for them?
Are there innocent civilians having a barbecue with BH in Gwoza?
Even the Emir of Gwoza is now a refugee.

Civilians have fled Gwoza!
Gwoza is now a free fire zone.
What is the cost of real estate there?
How many glass house and sky-scrapers?
If I were a company commander, nothing in Gwoza would be worth the life of [b]one [/b]of my men.
I would pound the place to dust!
President Jonathan can use the $1B to rebuild the town.
Re: Heavy Fighting As Troops Engage Boko Haram In Gwoza - Many Soldiers Died... by Arsenalbro: 12:05am On Aug 13, 2014
rubbish
Re: Heavy Fighting As Troops Engage Boko Haram In Gwoza - Many Soldiers Died... by Michaelemry: 12:07am On Aug 13, 2014
They should go and ask anambra state where d original bakassi is and use them to flush out boko haram
Re: Heavy Fighting As Troops Engage Boko Haram In Gwoza - Many Soldiers Died... by mindtricks: 12:49am On Aug 13, 2014
. . . this is even as wives of soldiers protest their husbands not being sent with better amunition.
Re: Heavy Fighting As Troops Engage Boko Haram In Gwoza - Many Soldiers Died... by lastpage: 12:54am On Aug 13, 2014
hardbody:

When the war is finally won (if and when that happens), you will NEVER stop calling those 'so called soldiers of igbo extraction' names. You will always remember they tried to secede and by forming Biafra, remain condemned till eternity. Y'all make it sound like self determination is a crime against humanity for which all igbos must suffer forever. You will not accord them any recognition. Having said that, any igbo who is fighting for the emancipation of the North is doing that at his own peril. I will neither empathize with him or sympathize with his people when the expected happens. As a good student of history, it has become obvious to me that selfishness is the way to go in this contraption called Nigeria. There was a country, but it is no more. For me it is 'to your tents oh Israel'.

Calm Down, my friend.
You have made a lot of "suppositions' up there? probably you have read very "bad history" but even at that, history is full of bad thing sthat happened in the PAST, that is why it is called History and not Science, which is 'forward thinking'.

By highlighting my first post, l am already according 'recognition' to the Igbo extraction of our gallant Nigerian Army and to all of them in general, from which ever tribe.
Whether you agree with that or not, is your own cup of Tea.

By the way, History was written down for a reason, ...that we may NOT forget the past.
But ..and this is a big BUT, ... it was written down not just so that we dont forget but so that we can ALL LEARN FROM IT!

Is it only this hatred, distrust, bigotry and negative-mindedness that you learnt from your own history? Relax, life is not supposed to be 'iron and steel'.

My own "history" teaches me to forgive and forget those who offend me, teaches me that we might be different and we might not agree on some things but it does not make us enemies! It also teaches me to take people on 'face-value" and to address each person "as they conduct and present themselves" to me, irrespective of whether they are from my village or across the Niger or of a different religion.

Its always worked for me! We can yab ourselves today and be great friends the next minute!!
No Permanent Enemies, ......everything is based on "individual Values and Policies".

I have come to understand that just as much as Igbo (some) dislike Yorubas, within the Nigerian context, they have more in common with them, than with anyone else! But there is still "fear of the past, which leads to distrust in the future".
Difficult to admit but good self examination would reveal its really accurate judging by how a some Igbos who initially resented me because l am Yoruba, have become my best buddies afterwards.
Its called "confidence-building", show others they have nothing to worry about and they can relax as far as you are concerned... and interract with them based solely on what they bring to the table

BTW, the best way to make everyone forget about something is to stop raising it up at every opportunity!

Anyway, l digress!

Lastpage!

1 Like

Re: Heavy Fighting As Troops Engage Boko Haram In Gwoza - Many Soldiers Died... by Nobody: 8:55am On Aug 13, 2014
simplex2:

Why shouldn't people discuss the illegal deployment of soldiers to perform civil duties meant for the police and civil defense? The country is under siege, a part of the country has been hijacked by touts; mounting their flags and undermining the sovereignty of this country yet the army are helping INEC to conduct a state election. Its a big disgrace! No wonder the international community don't take our fight against terrorism seriously.

And who told you that numbers don't matter in a fight? You think 200 well trained and sophisticated soldiers can defeat 20,000 untrained men that can only aim and shoot? Wake up brother.
In American muvees Yes!
Re: Heavy Fighting As Troops Engage Boko Haram In Gwoza - Many Soldiers Died... by hardbody: 10:13am On Aug 13, 2014
lastpage:

Calm Down, my friend.
You have made a lot of "suppositions' up there? probably you have read very "bad history" but even at that, history is full of bad thing sthat happened in the PAST, that is why it is called History and not Science, which is 'forward thinking'.

By highlighting my first post, l am already according 'recognition' to the Igbo extraction of our gallant Nigerian Army and to all of them in general, from which ever tribe.
Whether you agree with that or not, is your own cup of Tea.

By the way, History was written down for a reason, ...that we may NOT forget the past.
But ..and this is a big BUT, ... it was written down not just so that we dont forget but so that we can ALL LEARN FROM IT!

Is it only this hatred, distrust, bigotry and negative-mindedness that you learnt from your own history? Relax, life is not supposed to be 'iron and steel'.

My own "history" teaches me to forgive and forget those who offend me, teaches me that we might be different and we might not agree on some things but it does not make us enemies! It also teaches me to take people on 'face-value" and to address each person "as they conduct and present themselves" to me, irrespective of whether they are from my village or across the Niger or of a different religion.

Its always worked for me! We can yab ourselves today and be great friends the next minute!!
No Permanent Enemies, ......everything is based on "individual Values and Policies".

I have come to understand that just as much as Igbo (some) dislike Yorubas, within the Nigerian context, they have more in common with them, than with anyone else! But there is still "fear of the past, which leads to distrust in the future".
Difficult to admit but good self examination would reveal its really accurate judging by how a some Igbos who initially resented me because l am Yoruba, have become my best buddies afterwards.
Its called "confidence-building", show others they have nothing to worry about and they can relax as far as you are concerned... and interract with them based solely on what they bring to the table

BTW, the best way to make everyone forget about something is to stop raising it up at every opportunity!

Anyway, l digress!

Lastpage!

It is confusing, to say the least. Reason? Some of my best friends are Yorubas, i have dated and still have some of the ladies as friends. That explains in simple terms my attitude to life which is to treat each one as they deserve. having said that, i am just an individual, and the wider conception of the tribes under consideration is what is the real issue. The Igbo will never trust the Yoruba and vice versa at the global level. No matter what you preach, the scars of years past have only continued to fester. Read through the comments of people from both sides of the divide in this forum you will then understand that your views and stance, no matter how honourable and well intended is still seen as ignoble in the views of many here present.

I stand to be corrected about my earlier 'suppositions' that the average Igbo in the Northern enclave fighting for a non-existent fatherland will be forgotten as soon as the war is won and lost. Your views are yours and i respect them but it does not in the least detract from reality which is what we feel and touch everyday.

It is also instructive that it is not just the Yoruba man that has set himself aside as an enemy of the 'vanquished' Igbo Biafran. Even the man from Otuoke had his kinsmen passively fighting against the Biafran 'effrontery' by acting as saboteurs. Ken Saro Wiwa in his book, 'Sunset at Dawn' (i am sorry if i got the title wrong) justified rowing across the murky ijaw creeks to pass information to the Federal Troops and how he finally won their interest and all. In truth, when he was hung by the same Federal side that peddled information for while fighting for the same thing Ojukwu sought to save for our collective commonwealth, I had no pity for him. I recall i was at the Goethe Institute watching a certain documentary when news of him being 'guilotened' came through. Quite a number of the other people dropped a tear or two. I recall telling those closest to me that his death was long in coming. My point? He never, as an individual, saw that what he did during the secession era was wrong. Today, Neither the Hausa man, nor the Yoruba man believe that emasculating the Biafran struggle was an error. You saying it as an individual does not represent the wider view of the people. And here is where history has not and will never serve the purpose for which you have outlined in your last post eliciting my current response. We will never learn from the benefit of history when we deliberately close our eyes to the 'take-aways' that the past event is supposed to help us with.

Last Page, i have no particular grouse with you or a single Yoruba man, perhaps we as today's nigerians would have acted differently, but the injustice, killings and degradations of those years will not go away, they can never be wished away. There was a 'Truth Commission' (or something to that effect in SA), the whole idea was to deal with past injustices, get people to purge their minds of weighty 'crimes' committed and receive a 'notion' of forgiveness. It is not about the Naira and Kobo, for me, it is the admission that people were unjustly killed, maimed and thereafter maligned till date.

My last prayer to Gowon has always remained the same. may he live long into the future to continue to see the benefit of his war of attrition against the Igbos. Plateau people who led the surge into the Igbo heartland will continue to live with their Fulani friends who will in turn continue to massacre them in their numbers. Bro, we are no where near break of dawn yet.

Long live BH.

1 Like

Re: Heavy Fighting As Troops Engage Boko Haram In Gwoza - Many Soldiers Died... by ekpors: 12:17pm On Aug 21, 2014
Get more latest news @ http://informationworld.chatguest.com do click like on my
facebook fan page when you visit thanks a lot.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

I’ve Forgiven The Lawmaker That Assaulted Me – Senate President David Mark / Breaking News: Fire Outbreak At Muritala Mohammed Airport / CCT Trial: Fresh Cracks In Saraki’s Camp

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 111
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.