Stats: 3,152,316 members, 7,815,579 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:47 PM

Deep Divisions Over Nigerian Child Bride On Murder Charge - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Deep Divisions Over Nigerian Child Bride On Murder Charge (15975 Views)

CJN Unhappy Over Conflicting Decisions By Appeal Court Divisions / Boko-Haram Claims Victory Over Nigerian Army In New Video / I ‘ve Video Evidence On Murder Of Abacha, Abiola – Al-mustapha (2) (3) (4)

Re: Deep Divisions Over Nigerian Child Bride On Murder Charge by Nobody: 7:11am On Aug 14, 2014
tintingz: In history of the Jewish people where Christianity originated from child marriage is a practise, Mary was a child bride to Joseph.

In early Christian doctrine the age of girls marriage is 14yrs old.

In Europe, for example, Catholic canon law sets 14 as the minimum age for the marriage of girls, [52] as does Spain with a legal guardian's permission. [53] In North America, girls can be legally married at age 15 in Mexico. Canada and many states in the USA permit child marriages, with court's permission .
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Child_marriage

Catholic law on marriage is 14 years old, isn't that child marriage?

Need I remind you
This is 2014

Re: Deep Divisions Over Nigerian Child Bride On Murder Charge by tintingz(m): 7:11am On Aug 14, 2014
babyosisi:

Which govt
Federal or state
Looking for someone to blame
Even with schools,how many attend?
This is 2014 not 1714
The ones in Lagos or Aba don't attend the schools available to them either
Child marriage is all over the Muslim world,has nothing to do with availability of schools
They will actually pull the kids out of school to marry them off
Until you are sincere with yourselves this ill will not end
both Federal and state government should build schools to the villages in the north.

if schools is built in does villages child marriage will reduce, not all part of the north give out their daughters at the age of 14, it is only in the village where this practice is still a norm, mostly the poor people.

and child marriage is not only a practice in Muslim countries it is also a practice in the western world.

Re: Deep Divisions Over Nigerian Child Bride On Murder Charge by tintingz(m): 7:13am On Aug 14, 2014
babyosisi:

Need I remind you
This is 2014
yes? didn't they practice it?
Re: Deep Divisions Over Nigerian Child Bride On Murder Charge by 9ja4Change(m): 7:13am On Aug 14, 2014
tomsniel: poor Girl. I dont support child marriage but the way she handled it was too extreme.. Btw so GEJ's fresh air of education never reach those places..Diaris Goduooo

Which GEJ's fresh air of education? Is the the numerous strikes by ASUU or the more than 10 months strike by polytechnics and CoE (the highest in the history of 9ja)

Re: Deep Divisions Over Nigerian Child Bride On Murder Charge by Nobody: 7:14am On Aug 14, 2014
tintingz: both Federal and state government should build schools to the villages in the north.

if schools is built in does villages child marriage will reduce, not all part of the north give out their daughters are the age of 14, it is only in the village where this practice is still a norm, mostly the poor people.

and child marriage is not only a practice in Muslim countries it is also a practice in the western world.

As much as 76% of girls in many areas of northern Nigeria are married by age 14 according to some stats
Keep comparing yourself to people light years away from you
The girls are prevented from going to school
Stop telling these silly lies
Muslim senators were arguing for child marriage and here you are talking about schools
When a sitting senator married a 14 year old whose mates were in JSS where were you?

I can assure you 99.99%i of girls in the west are not married and in middle or high school
Definitely not so at your end

Re: Deep Divisions Over Nigerian Child Bride On Murder Charge by UnimkeAk(m): 7:18am On Aug 14, 2014
tintingz: Yeah Africans calling the western countries like mumus.

As if the western countries never had any records of child marriage.

The father clearly stated the problem they are facing in the north and why they keep to the tradition of child marriage which is lack of schools, education in the community.

Government should build schools in those areas in the north and we should stop calling USA like helpless goats.

Government! Government!! Government!!!
So they cant go 2 private school. grin
I was joking o!

So if the state/LGA forgets 2 provide schs, cant d organize a community development organization and start meeting dia needs.

Dia own is to look 4 young purna to bleep

U dont hv money still u marry plenty wife born plenty children.
Child marriage etc
Dis peeps have a messed up way of living.

Whats my business sef.

Re: Deep Divisions Over Nigerian Child Bride On Murder Charge by Nobody: 7:19am On Aug 14, 2014
UnimkeAk:

I was joking o!

So if the state/LGA forgets 2 provide schs, cant d organize a community development organization and start meeting dia needs.

Child marriage etc

Whats my business sef.

Sme of these people live in Enugu and Aba and Lagos
They are not attending schools there either

Re: Deep Divisions Over Nigerian Child Bride On Murder Charge by hazyfm: 7:22am On Aug 14, 2014
[size=18pt]YERIMA & HIS FRIENDS WATCH OUT[/size], U ARE NEXT grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Re: Deep Divisions Over Nigerian Child Bride On Murder Charge by excellencyabia1: 7:27am On Aug 14, 2014
Omexonomy: it is the duty of lg chairman and governos to provide primary and secondary education in nigeria with the heavy monthly allocation been recived from gej.
if GEJ build school in rural areas, what is the work of LGA's and state education board doing. let us speak to educate others

Re: Deep Divisions Over Nigerian Child Bride On Murder Charge by Nobody: 7:29am On Aug 14, 2014
Read this story
That is the mentality there

MARRIED at 13, divorced just a year later, this is the tragic face of one teenager sold for just a couple of hundred dollars.
Abused and badly beaten when she tried to escape her marriage, her humiliated husband then divorced her, leaving her homeless and shunned by her own family.
But Maimuna Abdullahi’s story isn’t unique and she is far from alone but one of hundreds of thousands of child brides across Nigeria.
Her ex-husband, said his disobedient wife was too educated and that next time he would marry a much younger bride who would do exactly what she was told.
“This time I will marry a girl of 12, so that she will do what I want to do,” he says.

“Because if you marry a girl who is older, then she will not listen to you.”
Apparently not listening and wanting an education was a crime and this 14-year-old was horrifically punished on both counts.
When she escaped, Maimuna was beaten so badly her battered face swelled so much that doctors feared her husband had dislocated her jaw.

http://www.news.com.au/world/africa/divorced-at-14-maimuna-abdullahi-is-the-face-of-nigerias-child-bride-shame/story-fnh81gzi-1226972573996

Re: Deep Divisions Over Nigerian Child Bride On Murder Charge by Nobody: 7:34am On Aug 14, 2014
There was only one primary school in my village and my mother's village
My father and mother walked more than 3 miles barefooted to go to primary school everyday ,they told me
Some people walked more
It is all about what is important to one
You don't wait for the govt to take you to school or build one in your compound
Some kids actually went to live with the headmaster to serve him or lived with relatives and family friends to go to school
That is what people who value education did to get it

Re: Deep Divisions Over Nigerian Child Bride On Murder Charge by UnimkeAk(m): 7:34am On Aug 14, 2014
babyosisi:

Sme of these people live in Enugu and Aba and Lagos
They are not attending schools there either

Yeah, thats true.
They should stop blaming the govt. For dia girls not going 2 sch.
Re: Deep Divisions Over Nigerian Child Bride On Murder Charge by tintingz(m): 7:40am On Aug 14, 2014
babyosisi:

As much as 76% of girls in many areas of northern Nigeria are married by age 14 according to some stats
Keep comparing yourself to people light years away from you
The girls are prevented from going to school
Stop telling these silly lies
Muslim senators were arguing for child marriage and here you are talking about schools
When a sitting senator married a 14 year old whose mates were in JSS where were you?
how do you know they are prevented from going to school? are you living with them, do you know their financial condition in those areas in the north?

again those people that give their daughters at minor age are mostly poor people so they keep to the tradition of their land(child marriage)
Re: Deep Divisions Over Nigerian Child Bride On Murder Charge by Nobody: 7:42am On Aug 14, 2014
tintingz: how do you know they are prevented from going to school? are you living with them, do you know their financial condition in those areas in the north?

again those people that give their daughters at minor age are mostly poor people so they keep to the tradition of their land(child marriage)

Primary school is free today my dear

Read the story I posted above
Poverty of the mind is more like it

Re: Deep Divisions Over Nigerian Child Bride On Murder Charge by Nobody: 7:46am On Aug 14, 2014
HappyJoe:

According to police, Tasi'u confessed to putting poison in food she prepared for a party two weeks after her April wedding in [size=18pt]Unguwar Yansoro[/size], a remote village some 60 kilometres (37 miles) from Nigeria's second city of Kano.

http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/news/afp/140813/deep-divisions-over-nigerian-child-bride-murder-charge

place of the fearful....indeed what a place/name...
Re: Deep Divisions Over Nigerian Child Bride On Murder Charge by Nobody: 7:46am On Aug 14, 2014
She consented?

Ok, maybe. Let us assume it so.
Now, what does a 14 yr girl know about life, love and marriage?

She forced?

More likely!

the North is ripping the fruits of Islam!

Islam is the a big problem to Nigeria and the entire humanity!

It is just that we are too scared to tell Moslems the truth!

Re: Deep Divisions Over Nigerian Child Bride On Murder Charge by tintingz(m): 7:48am On Aug 14, 2014
UnimkeAk:

I was joking o!

Child marriage etc

Whats my business sef.

it will still fall back to the government, will you give the people money to start a school?

or what's the duty of government?

.most of this people in those village are ignorant, they need to be enlightened.
Re: Deep Divisions Over Nigerian Child Bride On Murder Charge by Nobody: 7:51am On Aug 14, 2014
tintingz: it will still fall back to the government, will you give the people money to start a school?

.most of this people in those village are ignorant, they need to be enlightened.

The only difference between them and villagers in the south is Islam
is that the reason for their ignorance
What else?
This place we are talking about is only 35 miles away from Kano

When it came time to build some schools,they demanded almajiri schools
Imagine that
How many are attending it today
Your priorities are twisted
Then it backfires and you blame others

People had been crying about the menace of almajirism for years and Muslims label them anti Muslim
Today they have grown into big time terrorists called boko and you are still blaming others for it

The day you tell yourselves the truth,you may start solving the problems you created

Re: Deep Divisions Over Nigerian Child Bride On Murder Charge by Nobody: 8:03am On Aug 14, 2014
Read this
The reason for the ignorance and barrier to common sense

Oyindamola Oluwaseun Fagbenle said sharia law was one of the barriers to the implementation of Nigeria’s Child Rights Act, which was enacted in 2003 and prohibits the “betrothal and marriage of children” under the age of 18.

“I think that effective implementation of these laws and policies are very, very key,” said Fagbenle, a panelist at the United Nations Foundation’s “Lead for Girls: U.S. and African Leaders Must End Child Marriage to Empower the Next Generation" discussion in Washington on Tuesday.

“A major issue that is contributing to this inefficiency is the conflict between the Nigerian constitution and sharia law. I mean there is a big, there’s a huge conflict. The law, you know we have the Child Rights Act as well, which sets the age [of marriage] at 18, but the sharia law is saying something else,” she said.

http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/lauretta-brown/islamic-sharia-law-cited-obstacle-eradicating-child-marriage-nigeria

So why is sharia law retrogressive
That is the question
Why can't they help themselves by changing these outdated laws into something that will favor those girls and develop the mind of that population
Why should a man long to marry an under aged girl
Why does the religion permit pedophilia?
The uneducated child bride gives birth almajiri kids and others who will in turn be uneducated
The cycle continues
Human beings are supposed to make laws and when it doesn't make sense they change it to suit common sense

Re: Deep Divisions Over Nigerian Child Bride On Murder Charge by chuksmarvin(m): 8:06am On Aug 14, 2014
Do Yhu know the impression this gives me?....It means these filthy men from up there get hard-ons when they see my 13 yr old sister and her friends...
It's animate!...
I don't know what to do with these guys,...Charles Darwin and co would give up eternity to come and study and characterise these men!!

Re: Deep Divisions Over Nigerian Child Bride On Murder Charge by sweetgala(m): 8:11am On Aug 14, 2014
I don't understand their society, however the last paragraph explains it all

"Our girls don't go to modern school because we don't have one, not even a primary school," the 44-year-old said.

"Once our girls reach the age of 14 we marry them off... What do we keep them at home for?"

OBJ messed up when he let sharia take hold in Nigeria,The girl has to be charged as a minor, murder is murder irrespective and it was obviously premeditated.

And why isn't the state government investing in the lives of its citizenry's education and quality of life.

Re: Deep Divisions Over Nigerian Child Bride On Murder Charge by Nobody: 8:13am On Aug 14, 2014
sweetgala: I don't understand their society, however the last paragraph explains it all

"Our girls don't go to modern school because we don't have one, not even a primary school," the 44-year-old said.

"Once our girls reach the age of 14 we marry them off... What do we keep them at home for?"

OBJ messed up when he let sharia take hold in Nigeria,The girl has to be charged as a minor, murder is murder irrespective and it was obviously premeditated.

And why isn't the state government investing in the lives of its citizenry's education and quality of life.

They are investing in bombing their way to aso rock and islamizing Nigeria

Re: Deep Divisions Over Nigerian Child Bride On Murder Charge by UnimkeAk(m): 8:14am On Aug 14, 2014
tintingz: it will still fall back to the government, will you give the people money to start a school?

So they cant do levy?
Dont they have wealthy men/women in their village.

I agree with on the ignorance bit of your post.
They need enlightenment which i beleive is the reason for getting educated.
Re: Deep Divisions Over Nigerian Child Bride On Murder Charge by toluene12: 8:25am On Aug 14, 2014
PassingShot:

Even many western countries legally allow girls younger than 14 to marry. All that is required is the consent of a parent or guardian. So, from that context you cannot fault this practice since the consent of the parents were involved too.

And to say that she wouldn't have killed him if she went into it willingly is too bogus and not correct. We have seen many marriages of adults even in the south that ended in tragic just like this one. Only that in those ones we don't talk about age of the victim or the murderer since that is not always a factor.

My point is that she could still have killed him even if she was 35 years who chose to marry the man for many other reasons.

u people have started again.
which western country allows marriage at 14?
only on very rare occasions are two minors allowed to marry, not a full grown adult taken advantage of a naive girl.
try and present ur child bride in front of a judge in new york requesting for marriage certificate.
he will view u with suspicion n scrutinize ur case thoroughly.
the child will be snatched away from u and she'll be compelled to say u wanted to force her into marriage.
u will he arrested, chained, thrown into jail and forced to admit being q child rapi.st for the rest of ur life.
even in muslim countries like egypt, the legal age of marriage is 18.
pls, enough is enough. stop looking for ways to validate a nonsense practise.

Re: Deep Divisions Over Nigerian Child Bride On Murder Charge by ItsAaliyah: 8:30am On Aug 14, 2014
PassingShot: Going by the account of the bride's father, she was not forced into marriage because she chose the man to marry and thus needs to face justice. End of story.

WTF? undecided

Do you think if her father actually forced her into the marriage, he'll confess it to the public?!

Her parents should be jailed and flogged for the rest of their pathetic lives. angry
Who the fu..ck marries off a 14 year old baby to a 35 year old good for nothing loser?

Re: Deep Divisions Over Nigerian Child Bride On Murder Charge by ItsAaliyah: 8:35am On Aug 14, 2014
chuksmarvin: Do Yhu know the impression this gives me?...It means these filthy men from up there get hard-ons when they see my 13 yr old sister and her friends...
It's animate!...
I don't know what to do with these guys,...Charles Darwin and co would give up eternity to come and study and characterise these men!!

Thank you for this comment.

I just can't get over the fact that a full blooded male man will look at babies of 13 and 14 and actually get boners?! shocked

The stuppid fuc..ker deserved to die. If the police really need to arrest anyone, arrest the girl's parents.
They deserve life imprisonment. angry

Re: Deep Divisions Over Nigerian Child Bride On Murder Charge by anonimi: 8:57am On Aug 14, 2014
And this is all happening right under the nose of the highly educated, former CBN governor now installed Emir of Kano

Re: Deep Divisions Over Nigerian Child Bride On Murder Charge by Janetozi(f): 9:07am On Aug 14, 2014
I wonder how the northerner reason.

When will they put an end to this nonsense culture of forcing their daughter into early marriage. Will they hold on to that culture 4ever?

Well, if if they don't abolish the cultur, they culture will abolish them through poison and other means possible.

I don't blame them, as their name goes "northerner" nothingness people.

That man should rot in hell, he deserve to die, he die a necessary death.

Re: Deep Divisions Over Nigerian Child Bride On Murder Charge by Nobody: 10:13am On Aug 14, 2014
What a waste of human life, what a tragic transition from child to womanhood! So sad.

Re: Deep Divisions Over Nigerian Child Bride On Murder Charge by DukeNija(m): 10:15am On Aug 14, 2014
iiichidodo: This should be counted as self defence as taking custody of a minor without its consent for whatever purposes is tantamount to kidnapping....Child kidnapping.

There's nothing like without her consent because she consented. She murdered the Man. Period!! She's a murderer and might murder and murder in future.
I'm not in support of child marriage but its their culture. Barbaric, yes, but its the way they do things there and she knows this. Her sisters all got married at 14, so why she decided to kill 4people is unimaginable. Other girls are now poisoning their husbands with the hope of being set free. They should go to the root of the matter by providing education for these people.
Re: Deep Divisions Over Nigerian Child Bride On Murder Charge by tuffgongjo(m): 10:17am On Aug 14, 2014
She will be jailed when she clocks 18,it is just sad that she will spend most of her youth in prison,which means her life may end up a waste which is a really really sad news.
Re: Deep Divisions Over Nigerian Child Bride On Murder Charge by iiichidodo: 10:20am On Aug 14, 2014
DukeNija:

There's nothing like without her consent because she consented. She murdered the Man. Period!! She's a murderer and might murder and murder in future.
There wasn't any consent whatsoever she was carted off against her will...Child kidnapping.If she kills my kidnapper then it is called self defence....Else the paedophile might go out there to kidnap and molest plenty more little girls or hoodwink guardians to sell him their little girls...

Buhari's Affordable Housing Schemes Will Turn Tenants To Home Owners - Shehu / Budget 2020: Buhari, Osinbajo Double Their Cost Of Travels, Food To N3.5bn - PT / Two Nigerian Arrested For Cocaine Trafficking In Malawi

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76