Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,136 members, 7,814,975 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:16 AM

Deep Divisions Over Nigerian Child Bride On Murder Charge - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Deep Divisions Over Nigerian Child Bride On Murder Charge (15971 Views)

CJN Unhappy Over Conflicting Decisions By Appeal Court Divisions / Boko-Haram Claims Victory Over Nigerian Army In New Video / I ‘ve Video Evidence On Murder Of Abacha, Abiola – Al-mustapha (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Deep Divisions Over Nigerian Child Bride On Murder Charge by cococandy(f): 3:10pm On Aug 14, 2014
Haha. No one is calling the woman to say nada.
Don't you know women are second class citizens? A woman's testimony doesn't stand in a muslim society except it corroborated by a man.

Tough life huh?

babyosisi:

What do you expect the eediotic man to say
Do you want the dead man's family to demand he returns the goats they gave him for bride price ?
The father is most likely a polygamist With no real attachment to those kids
See how he proudly told us he married his 7 girls off at 14 like it were an achievement
They are just a bunch of revenue fetching commodities to him

Why don't we hear from her mother
I bet you the mother will tell the real story

2 Likes

Re: Deep Divisions Over Nigerian Child Bride On Murder Charge by Nobody: 3:11pm On Aug 14, 2014
PassingShot:

Check this wikipedia link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marriageable_age. Though not below 14 years but many European countries allow girls younger than 18 to marry older men with parental consent.

The link is not working but I have already googled it and as a matter of fact in most Western countries people are not allowed to marry before the age of 18 and in some states in the United States even not before they are 21.

There may be exceptions with parental consent or with court permission BUT NEVER AGAINST THe CHILD'S WILL and they must NOT be younger than 16.

If you agreed that it is the norm in the community they live, how would you still call it a forced marriage?

I agreed that what is a norm?

Is it not possible that the poor girl may have poisoned her husband for other reasons other than the "forced marriage" thing?

It is very unlikely.

And if you would put her parents in jail for marrying her off, you will definitely need to put thousands or even millions of such parents in jail because the fact remains that the practice is rampant in that part of Nigeria.

I would if I could.

Dealing with this case is applying "cosmetic surgery" on a situation that requires tackling from the root/source. Those communities and the dwellers need re-orientation, education and civilization. Without providing these, we are on a long thing.

I agree but s long as we are discussing the issue on the public forum, I will keep repeating that it is wrong to marry off children.
Re: Deep Divisions Over Nigerian Child Bride On Murder Charge by Nobody: 3:19pm On Aug 14, 2014
dollarsplenty: This girl was certainly forced to marry the deceased. Love was not involved. This is an AUREN-DOLE (Forced-marriage) that backfired. the only pity here is about those that ate food with the husband.

birds of a feather flock together....thus the death of the friends to
Re: Deep Divisions Over Nigerian Child Bride On Murder Charge by Nobody: 3:28pm On Aug 14, 2014
Shadeolad: [/color]Of course he also married a child bride now. Married his first wife when she was in ss2. She was my senior in secondary school.she was pulled out of school to marry him. But I think it was with her consent cos she was excited and was always shouting his name about in d hostel.[color=#006600]

Please tell me more
What school was this and what is her name
Give more meat to this story
Re: Deep Divisions Over Nigerian Child Bride On Murder Charge by Nobody: 3:30pm On Aug 14, 2014
bjims:

birds of a feather flock together....thus the death of the friends to

Exactly
If they didn't go to celebrate child marriage ,they would be alive
Let the living learn
Child marriage can be deadly to the groom,the bride and those who came to eat rice

2 Likes

Re: Deep Divisions Over Nigerian Child Bride On Murder Charge by PassingShot(m): 4:03pm On Aug 14, 2014
carefreewannabe:

The link is not working but I have already googled it and as a matter of fact in most Western countries people are not allowed to marry before the age of 18 and in some states in the United States even not before they are 21.

There may be exceptions with parental consent or with court permission BUT NEVER AGAINST THe CHILD'S WILL and they must NOT be younger than 16.

I agreed that what is a norm?

It is very unlikely.

I would if I could.

I agree but s long as we are discussing the issue on the public forum, I will keep repeating that it is wrong to marry off children.

Let's agree to disagree then.

But not without parting with this lovely quote i saw on your profile page which i think is suitable for my use here:
Never apologize for being correct, or for being years ahead of your time. If you’re right and you know it, speak your mind. Speak your mind. Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is still the truth. - Gandhi
Re: Deep Divisions Over Nigerian Child Bride On Murder Charge by Nobody: 4:04pm On Aug 14, 2014
PassingShot:

Let's agree to disagree then.

But not without parting with this lovely quote i saw on your profile page which i think is suitable for my use here:
Never apologize for being correct, or for being years ahead of your time. If you’re right and you know it, speak your mind. Speak your mind. Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is still the truth. - Gandhi

I don't see how you are ahead of your time in this case. undecided

2 Likes

Re: Deep Divisions Over Nigerian Child Bride On Murder Charge by mcfarlin(m): 4:06pm On Aug 14, 2014
tandj: And some people are here stupidly justifying an abominable act?

Let me ask?why are boys of 6 to 17yrs not allowed to marry?
Why only gals and not with their mates?

Thank you sir for that observation

Even in the olden days when hindus married at a very young age they were married to their age mates not some old phaggot.

Even MAHATMA GANDHI got married at the age of thirteen to his wife who was exactly thirteen...I pray this almajiris learn...ISLAME crippling peoples thoughts since 600AD

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Deep Divisions Over Nigerian Child Bride On Murder Charge by PassingShot(m): 4:12pm On Aug 14, 2014
carefreewannabe:

I don't see how you are ahead of your time in this case. undecided

Na only that one you see there? grin cheesy
Re: Deep Divisions Over Nigerian Child Bride On Murder Charge by Nobody: 4:15pm On Aug 14, 2014
PassingShot:

Na only that one you see there? grin cheesy

No but this is the most conspicuous point.
Re: Deep Divisions Over Nigerian Child Bride On Murder Charge by Shadeolad(f): 4:21pm On Aug 14, 2014
[color=#006600][/color]
babyosisi:

Please tell me more
What school was this and what is her name
Give more meat to this story
she is the daughter of the late emir of kano. Sadiya Ado Bayero(then). Fggc Kazaure. Jigawa(then kano state). Very funny and friendly girl.

3 Likes

Re: Deep Divisions Over Nigerian Child Bride On Murder Charge by Lassb4: 4:31pm On Aug 14, 2014
grin grin grin grin grin ;Djavascript:void(0); tongue tongue tongue tongue
Re: Deep Divisions Over Nigerian Child Bride On Murder Charge by Lassb4: 4:32pm On Aug 14, 2014
grin grin grin grin grin ;Djavascript:void(0); tongue tongue tongue tongue

Photo: Another nurse dies of Ebola
http://lassbsmall..com/

Re: Deep Divisions Over Nigerian Child Bride On Murder Charge by gogodaye(m): 4:39pm On Aug 14, 2014
tomsniel: poor Girl. I dont support child marriage but the way she handled it was too extreme.. Btw so GEJ's fresh air of education never reach those places..Diaris Goduooo

And the Governor of Kano only too recently publicly claimed that the state was building a Two Billion school in a neighbouring country..................
Re: Deep Divisions Over Nigerian Child Bride On Murder Charge by PassingShot(m): 4:54pm On Aug 14, 2014
carefreewannabe:

No but this is the most conspicuous point.

Good you agree with the others.
Anyway nice discussing with you. Take care.
Re: Deep Divisions Over Nigerian Child Bride On Murder Charge by Nobody: 4:55pm On Aug 14, 2014
PassingShot:

Re: Deep Divisions Over Nigerian Child Bride On Murder Charge by pickabeau1: 5:11pm On Aug 14, 2014
PassingShot:

if i may ask what is your view on child marriage
Re: Deep Divisions Over Nigerian Child Bride On Murder Charge by PassingShot(m): 5:24pm On Aug 14, 2014
pickabeau1:

if i may ask what is your view on child marriage

If you take time to read my posts on this particular topic you'll know that I don't support it.

However I'm exposed enough to know that it exists in our society as a result of culture and our government failure to campaign against it and provide proper orientation, education for the rural dwellers plus means of integrating the not-so-previledged citizens of our society.

When we fail to tackle this problem from the root, we cry when stories that touch occur.
Re: Deep Divisions Over Nigerian Child Bride On Murder Charge by Nobody: 5:29pm On Aug 14, 2014
PassingShot:

If you take time to read my posts on this particular topic you'll know that I don't support it.

However I'm exposed enough to know that it exists in our society as a result of culture and our government failure to campaign against it and provide proper orientation, education for the rural dwellers plus means of integrating the not-so-previledged citizens of our society.

When we fail to tackle this problem from the root, we cry when stories that touch occur.

Fair enough.
Re: Deep Divisions Over Nigerian Child Bride On Murder Charge by Nobody: 5:38pm On Aug 14, 2014
prophetone will definitely avoid this thread like a plague... grin

1 Like

Re: Deep Divisions Over Nigerian Child Bride On Murder Charge by aaidel(m): 5:38pm On Aug 14, 2014
this is what happens when people apply laws stupidly how can you ask a child to give consent? for the mere fact she is still considered a child by the law means she cannot give out consent without parental approval and as for the dead husband serves him right wether 14 or 44 if a woman indicates her displeasure in being with you please let her be or face the consequences

2 Likes

Re: Deep Divisions Over Nigerian Child Bride On Murder Charge by pickabeau1: 5:45pm On Aug 14, 2014
I did read it.. thats why i waited for the heat to cool down as i was concerned it will go into religious arena

I agree with you that orientation and education is critical however my concern is the disservice being done by these people to themselves

A man who marries his daughter off loses the opportunity for her to be productive
Her earning capacity is gravely diminished in additionto the bodily damages from VVF

Generational Poverty is assured

IN other areas, others ensure their kids have the best education to break out of poverty

I am speaking now from the individual POV as govt has failed the people

PassingShot:

Re: Deep Divisions Over Nigerian Child Bride On Murder Charge by prophetone(m): 5:46pm On Aug 14, 2014
dozzybaba: prophetone will definitely avoid this thread like a plague... grin

Re: Deep Divisions Over Nigerian Child Bride On Murder Charge by BaddieKay(f): 6:26pm On Aug 14, 2014
northern nigeria is another country entirely..they need help asap.NEF or wharreva they are called need to fix this.

In western countries,a girl of 14 might come home and say she wanna get married and her parents will gv der consent,bur its nt d same in d north,d parent rather gv away their kids 4 marriage abi molestation.Most northerners are boko haram in their own different ways(my opinion though).And all those saying that other girls her age are planning on doing the same thing she did,let me ask if they re truely happy in their union do you think they'll for a sec think of committing murder?

1 Like

Re: Deep Divisions Over Nigerian Child Bride On Murder Charge by PassingShot(m): 6:42pm On Aug 14, 2014
pickabeau1: I did read it.. thats why i waited for the heat to cool down as i was concerned it will go into religious arena

I agree with you that orientation and education is critical however my concern is the disservice being done by these people to themselves

A man who marries his daughter off loses the opportunity for her to be productive
Her earning capacity is gravely diminished in additionto the bodily damages from VVF

Generational Poverty is assured

IN other areas, others ensure their kids have the best education to break out of poverty

I am speaking now from the individual POV as govt has failed the people

I'm with you on the deservice and many more implications of this their practice but before we crucify these people we need to know why they do what they do.

In very many of the cases, the closest learning center is more than 50km from their villages; plus the absence of proper means of transportation because there are no motorable roads. They're practically helpless in that type of situation as they're completely disconnected from the rest of us.

Recall that when the Chibok girls were kidnapped it took producing of the recording of BH parading the girls and converging their parents in a location outside their village before they could see that vedio. It's that bad my friend and you don't blame those villagers for their fate. It is our collective failure as a nation.

1 Like

Re: Deep Divisions Over Nigerian Child Bride On Murder Charge by bukatyne(f): 6:46pm On Aug 14, 2014
mcfarlin:

Thank you sir for that observation

Even in the olden days when hindus married at a very young age they were married to their age mates not some old phaggot.

Even MAHATMA GANDHI got married at the age of thirteen to his wife who was exactly thirteen...I pray this almajiris learn...ISLAME crippling peoples thoughts since 600AD

God bless you

If they want to marry toddlers, let them marry their age mate. Iam sure if she was forced to marry a 19 or 20yr old farmer, she might not have killed him

If the man marries her only, it would have been bearable. 10yrs later, he will probably throw her out and marry another baby.

I know someone who said his 23yr old wife was too old for him.He was in his 40s and she was the third wife. He got a younger one the next yr.

And their govt say they have problem of divorced women?

Them never start angry

4 Likes

Re: Deep Divisions Over Nigerian Child Bride On Murder Charge by pickabeau1: 6:48pm On Aug 14, 2014
PassingShot:

I'm with you on the deservice and many more implications of this their practice but before we crucify these people we need to know why they do what they do.

In very many of the cases, the closest learning center is more than 50km from their villages; plus the absence of proper means of transportation because there are no motorable roads. They're practically helpless in that type of situation as they're completely disconnected from the rest of us.

Recall that when the Chibok girls were kidnapped it took producing of the recording of BH parading the girls and converging their parents in a location outside their village before they could see that vedio. It's that bad my friend and you don't blame those villagers for their fate. It is our collective failure as a nation.

It is really a collective failure

It's a drawback of ancient feudalistic practices and the leadership are not helping

Ok
Re: Deep Divisions Over Nigerian Child Bride On Murder Charge by PassingShot(m): 7:06pm On Aug 14, 2014
pickabeau1:

It is really a collective failure

It's a drawback of ancient feudalistic practices and the leadership are not helping

Ok

I served in Benue state and had the opportunity to go to a village called Agagbe where a colleague was serving. Indeed our going there was to see things for ourselves after many lamentations about the living conditions in that village. Some of us actually shed tears when we saw how people died of common ailments due to lack of health care services. Taking the sick to hospital is even out of the equation for them because of lack of transportation.

what do we expect to happen to village girls of 13, 14 or 15 years who didn't get any education from age six? To be in secondary school? The problem is fundamental and we need to tackle it rightly and not reacting with emotions.

1 Like

Re: Deep Divisions Over Nigerian Child Bride On Murder Charge by pickabeau1: 7:10pm On Aug 14, 2014
PassingShot:

I served in Benue state and had the opportunity to go to a village called Agagbe where a colleague was serving. Indeed our going there was to see things for ourselves after many lamentations about the living conditions in that village. Some of us actually shed tears when we saw how people died of common ailments due to lack of health care services. Taking the sick to hospital is even out of the equation for them because of lack of transportation.

what do we expect to happen to village girls of 13, 14 or 15 years who didn't get any education from age six? To be in secondary school? The problem is fundamental and we need to tackle it rightly and not reacting with emotions.

Tragic...Same happen in some southern communities...typically expressed as prostitution...there are issues

1 Like

Re: Deep Divisions Over Nigerian Child Bride On Murder Charge by Nobody: 7:44pm On Aug 14, 2014
Shadeolad: [color=#006600][/color] she is the daughter of the late emir of kano. Sadiya Ado Bayero(then). Fggc Kazaure. Jigawa(then kano state). Very funny and friendly girl.

His cousin then
I strongly believe that the violence in Islam could be traced to inbreeding
I sincerely think it has something to do with it
There are higher cases of mental retardation amongst people who marry their relatives,there could be some violent propensity in others and no one wants to address it so as not to be offensive
Why is it that the same religion that allows marriages within the family also produces the most violent of followers ?
Someone should study that
The draw towards pedophilia could also be a symptom of that mental anomaly

1 Like

Re: Deep Divisions Over Nigerian Child Bride On Murder Charge by anonimi: 7:53pm On Aug 14, 2014
babyosisi:

His cousin then
I strongly believe that the violence in Islam could be traced to this inbreeding
I sincerely think it has something to do with it
There are higher cases of mental retardation amongst people who marry their relatives,there could be some violent propensity in others and no one wants to address it so as not to be offensive
Why is it that the only religion that allows marriages within the family also produces the most violent of followers ?
Someone should study that
The draw towards pedophilia could also be a symptom of that mental anomaly

Please STOP your baseless stories.
Many European royal families also marry (married) their cousins as Christians.
Re: Deep Divisions Over Nigerian Child Bride On Murder Charge by Nobody: 7:55pm On Aug 14, 2014
anonimi:

Please STOP your baseless stories.
Many European royal families also marry (married) their cousins as Christians.

Royal families you say
How many people are we talking about here
And you didn't know they were saddled with mental issues too
Compare that to millions and millions of people
There must be a co relation

In the UK Muslims make up a fraction of the population but two thirds of the population assessing the mental health facilities mostly for some form of retardation
What is to say the other extreme of the mental spectrum doesn't exist as a consequence too?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

CCT Trial: Saraki Arrives Tribunal With only Two Senators / ₦10tn Spent On Refineries Yet They Don’t Work, They’re Better Off Sold - Oyedele / Son Of Governor Arrested For Slapping A Colonel

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.