Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,296 members, 7,815,515 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:48 PM

Deep Divisions Over Nigerian Child Bride On Murder Charge - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Deep Divisions Over Nigerian Child Bride On Murder Charge (15973 Views)

CJN Unhappy Over Conflicting Decisions By Appeal Court Divisions / Boko-Haram Claims Victory Over Nigerian Army In New Video / I ‘ve Video Evidence On Murder Of Abacha, Abiola – Al-mustapha (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Deep Divisions Over Nigerian Child Bride On Murder Charge by pickabeau1: 11:37am On Aug 15, 2014
dealslip:
Kindly point out the particular verse in the bible where it was recorded that Mary was a little girl when she conceived by the miracle of the Holy Ghost. See God didn't impregnate her like the blasphemy you wrote above. The same God that instituted multiplication of man, in all His great wisdom can by pass the normal process of multiplication because he was the one that invented the natural process in the first place. Don't be blinded by religious sentiment. Read I Cor 7 then you will understand God's marriage timing.

It is not written in the bible but if you follow history...

Girls in those days were married off as early as 13,14...

Try and be objective in debating
Re: Deep Divisions Over Nigerian Child Bride On Murder Charge by hollandis(f): 2:13pm On Aug 15, 2014
tintingz: Yeah Africans calling the western countries like mumus.

As if the western countries never had any records of child marriage.

The father clearly stated the problem they are facing in the north and why they keep to the tradition of child marriage which is lack of schools, education in the community.

Government should build schools in those areas in the north and we should stop calling USA like helpless goats.
you have sex with a girl less than 17 in the western world ,you get jailed ,fined and put in the offenders list for life.You know what that means right ?Nojob ,no govt assistance ,no nothing .Nigeria is a shame with people like you,who claim to be schooled

3 Likes

Re: Deep Divisions Over Nigerian Child Bride On Murder Charge by Nobody: 2:48pm On Aug 15, 2014
tintingz:

1. Aisha(ra) was betrothed at the age of 6, girls at that age above are matured in those ancient days.

2. Aisha never show any sign of sadness, she's happy on the day of her marriage.

Prophet Mohammed married a 6 year old and you don't condemn pedophilia because the 6 year old was happy on the day of the marriage?
You folks are funny

@ the posters,you see why the problem here is Islam?
They can doublespeak all they want ,the truth remains that they aspire to follow the footsteps of their prophet and here you have it written in black and white
Pedophilia is part of their tenets and they are not about to give it up anytime soon
Giving it up is condemning Mohammed.
There you have it

Medical science agrees that girls today are more mature physically than they were ages ago
So your theory of 6 year old women in the time of Mohammed is completely false.

1 Like

Re: Deep Divisions Over Nigerian Child Bride On Murder Charge by cococandy(f): 2:51pm On Aug 15, 2014
Ok. So how do they know the girl is mature enough or is puberty another definition for maturity?

And secondly, most of these girls don't have a say in the matter,that to me is the same thing as being forced.

Do you then agree that most northerners go against islam when they marry off their wards without the the full consent of the kid.

tintingz:

Force marriage - I'm not in support, my religion doesn't allow that.

about child marriage I'm only in support if a girl is "matured" and marry the man of her choice.
Re: Deep Divisions Over Nigerian Child Bride On Murder Charge by Nobody: 2:52pm On Aug 15, 2014
cococandy: Ok. So how do they know the girl is mature enough or is puberty another definition for maturity?

And secondly, most of these girls don't have a say in the matter,that to me is the same thing as being forced.

Do you then agree that most northerners go against islam when they marry off their wards without the the full consent of the kid.

Goodluck trying yo get a straightforward answer from him

He just told you 6 year olds can be ripe for marriage to justify pedophilia and that the girl wasnt crying at the wedding
What else are you looking for?
They speak too many words hoping to confuse you,when you corner them,they start looking for similar examples in America
Islam is cruel to girls
Tingtingz just made a post I quoted earlier to buttress the point.

He is not in support of forced marriage because that is what he wants you to hear and the same mentality tells him a 6 year old can consent to marriage.
How sick is that?
Re: Deep Divisions Over Nigerian Child Bride On Murder Charge by cococandy(f): 3:08pm On Aug 15, 2014
I wish he'll answer me sincerely if he actually thinks the parents are acting against islam or according to islam as they claim.

Because I think the religious leaders should have come heavily against such people when they give underage and unwilling girls in marriage. Two things which are clearly against islam.

How's your health btw? smiley

babyosisi:

He just told you 6 year olds can be ripe for marriage
What else are you looking for?
They speak too many words hoping to confuse you,when you corner them,they start looking for similar examples in America
Islam is cruel to girls
Tingtingz just made a post I quoted earlier to buttress the point.

He is not in support of forced marriage and the same mentality tells him a 6 year old can consent to marriage
How sick is that?

1 Like

Re: Deep Divisions Over Nigerian Child Bride On Murder Charge by Nobody: 3:16pm On Aug 15, 2014
cococandy: I wish he'll answer me sincerely if he actually thinks the parents are acting against islam or according to islam as they claim.

Because I think the religious leaders should have come heavily against such people when they give underage and unwilling girls in marriage. Two things which are clearly against islam.

How's your health btw? smiley

Have you seen any Muslim condemn this marriage?
You will never get that answer
The marriage of a child is halal in Islam
The Koran talks about divorce and categorizes women into grown,captured women and those who are yet to see their menses
Meaning that Islam recognizes the marriage of prepubertal girls as exemplified by the marriage of prophet Mohammed himself
I have gone at this with them at the early days of NL
Condemning child marriage is condemning prophet Mohammed and you will never hear a true Muslim go that route
They will always justify it by telling you the 6 year old was happy and wanted the marriage some will even deny Aisha's age despite Aisha's own words,some others have told me the desert climate makes the girls turn to women faster

If all fails,they will change the topic to focus on something else

I dey well
Going back to work,thanks for asking.

1 Like

Re: Deep Divisions Over Nigerian Child Bride On Murder Charge by cococandy(f): 3:25pm On Aug 15, 2014
babyosisi:

Have you seen any Muslim condemn this marriage?
You will never get that answer
The marriage of a child is halal in Islam
The Koran talks about divorce and categorizes women into grown,captured women and those who are yet to see their menses
Meaning that Islam recognizes the marriage of prepubertal girls as exemplified by the marriage of prophet Mohammed himself
I have gone at this with them at the early days of NL
Condemning child marriage is condemning prophet Mohammed and you will never hear a true Muslim go that route
They will always justify it by telling you the 6 year old was happy and wanted the marriage some will even deny Aisha's age despite Aisha's own words,some others have told me the desert climate makes the girls turn to women faster

If all fails,they will change the topic to focus on something else

I think any body true to themselves should admit when something is wrong even if someone notable in their belief did it.

Yea jacob was polygamous
Jesus was born of an underage mother(speculative)
Solomon had plenty concubines.

Should we latch unto those vices that do nothing to help our present day society because we are blinded by faith?

Food for thought.

1 Like

Re: Deep Divisions Over Nigerian Child Bride On Murder Charge by Nobody: 3:36pm On Aug 15, 2014
cococandy:

I think any body true to themselves should admit when something is wrong even if someone notable in their belief did it.

Yea jacob was polygamous
Jesus was born of an underage mother(speculative)
Solomon had plenty concubines.

Should we latch unto those vices that do nothing to help our present day society because we are blinded by faith?

Food for thought.

I could go on and on and post Aisha's own words of how unhappy she was in the abusive marriage
The rancor and jealousy amongst the wives
How she was playing with her friends and on a swing when they led her to sit on the prophet's lap,the day he deflowered her
In her own parent's house
A 9 year old made to sit on the lap of a 53 year old man,supposedly a prophet
But that is for another day,even though that action is similar to what we are discussing here

Children do not belong on a bed with old men or any man at all

I had a Muslim ask me if it was better that 13 year olds are sleeping around rather than marry
The typical Islamic way of reasoning
Like those who condemn child marriage,advocate fornication and opposite of hijab is unclothedness and opposite of polygamy is sleeping around
I said both are wrong
Marrying them off by an adult who should know better is even worse

3 Likes

Re: Deep Divisions Over Nigerian Child Bride On Murder Charge by Lightening: 5:40pm On Aug 15, 2014
babyosisi:

Prophet Mohammed married a 6 year old and you don't condemn pedophilia because the 6 year old was happy on the day of the marriage?
You folks are funny

@ the posters,you see why the problem here is Islam?
They can doublespeak all they want ,the truth remains that they aspire to follow the footsteps of their prophet and here you have it written in black and white
Pedophilia is part of their tenets and they are not about to give it up anytime soon
Giving it up is condemning Mohammed.
There you have it

Medical science agrees that girls today are more mature physically than they were ages ago
So your theory of 6 year old women in the time of Mohammed is completely false.

Madam, pls leave all these empty islamist barrells that are running in a circle. The supposed happy infant brides have suddenly woken up. Thank God Otapiapia is available and cheap , now a tool used by "happy" infant wives to settle scores. Mischievous custom.

1 Like

Re: Deep Divisions Over Nigerian Child Bride On Murder Charge by pickabeau1: 5:47pm On Aug 15, 2014
Lawd.. back to religious hate....

SOmethings never change

Cant a debate be devoid of bigotry..

Can this rest now... in the old days.. jewish maidens were married 12-14

They have moved on...

The issue now is why is Child marriage still in practice

She married Joseph and accompanied him to Bethlehem, where Jesus was born.[3] Dale Allison states that in ancient Jewish custom, Mary could have been bethrothed at about 12, but does not claim that this did happen in her case.[4] There is no direct evidence of Mary's age at betrothal or in pregnancy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_(mother_of_Jesus)

The historical challenge is to explain why Jesus was accused of illegitimacy, why he was called Joseph's son and why the view developed that he was born of a virgin. By examining the ancient Jewish commitment to the maintenance of family lineage, which was the cultural context of Jesus' birth, we can explain all these features of the New Testament and discover one of the most profound influences on Jesus' personal development.

Mary would have been some 13 years old -- the age Jewish maidens of that time married -- when the widower Joseph came to her village of Nazareth, perhaps to repair the house of her parents. Joseph was a journeyman from nearby Bethlehem (in Galilee, not Judea), a roofer, stonemason and rough carpenter. It makes sense that he would have met Mary in the early spring; he could ply his trade then before he was needed at home to tend his fields of wheat and barley. The calendar of Christianity from centuries after the New Testament -- bowing to the Imperial Roman feast of Sol Invictus, the invincible sun, which became ensconced during the third century C.E. and was applied to Christ a century later -- has Jesus born on Dec. 25. But reckoned from his parents' probable time of meeting, his birth was earlier, probably in the autumn.

Mary's family had agreed to a contract of marriage with Joseph, but the couple was not yet living together when her pregnancy became obvious. The wording of the New Testament itself, although written many years after the events and richly laced with legends concerning Jesus' birth, attests to this simple fact: before they resided together she was obviously pregnant (Matthew 1:18).

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/bruce-chilton/mary-mother-of-jesus_b_928333.html
Re: Deep Divisions Over Nigerian Child Bride On Murder Charge by cococandy(f): 5:58pm On Aug 15, 2014
Good question.
Can you help us ask?

Child marriage is an old practise hence can be found in the history of many religions. But since everyone has moved on,why are they still stuck and why do they use religion to try justify it?
And why aren't their religious leaders calling them out on this practise which is against islam.

I just don't know if there's something we are not being told here.
pickabeau1: Lawd.. back to religious hate....

SOmethings never change

Cant a debate be devoid of bigotry..

Can this rest now... in the old days.. jewish maidens were married 12-14

They have moved on...

The issue now is why is Child marriage still in practice

Re: Deep Divisions Over Nigerian Child Bride On Murder Charge by Nobody: 8:04pm On Aug 15, 2014
Lightening:

Madam, pls leave all these empty islamist barrells that are running in a circle.[b] The supposed happy infant brides have suddenly woken up. [/b]Thank God Otapiapia is available and cheap , now a tool used by "happy" infant wives to settle scores. Mischievous custom.

But now they want to kill her
Otapiapia sure got rid of the molester but her life is now in danger
She is currently detained for self defense practically
Re: Deep Divisions Over Nigerian Child Bride On Murder Charge by pickabeau1: 8:45pm On Aug 15, 2014
cococandy: Good question.
Can you help us ask?

Child marriage is an old practise hence can be found in the history of many religions. But since everyone has moved on,why are they still stuck and why do they use religion to try justify it?
And why aren't their religious leaders calling them out on this practise which is against islam.

I just don't know if there's something we are not being told here.

I am also asking the question myself
I was wondering why it seemed to be degenerating to a religious war as Jews also married young

If you have read the thread from the start..Islam says the girl must be mature

They don't think it is best

I am curious as to why the practice is widespread myself
Re: Deep Divisions Over Nigerian Child Bride On Murder Charge by cococandy(f): 8:59pm On Aug 15, 2014
pickabeau1:

If you have read the thread from the start..Islam says the girl must be mature

if the imams or whoever conducts the marriage rites are strict adherents of islam,then they must have a different definition for mature that much is obvious

They don't think it is best
I think they do. No one forces these men to marry the girls. So it must be the best in their opinion. I know a few muslims and they sort of have this unspoken consensus that 20 is TOO OLD. One of my muslim friends during nysc kept asking me why I was doing shakara by not accepting some prosposals coming my way then.he was truly flabbergasted as to why an OLD WOMAN like me (early20) was still not desperate to marry. Even with his education,he was waiting to get a job and go back home to pick a teenage wife.

I am curious as to why the practice is widespread myself

the reason is simple. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.
give their women a voice and we'll all see changes. When the wives have known such domination all their lives,they have no option but to prepare their daughters for the same.do you know how many women wish they had a chance to live the life they wanted? It's bad enough that many don't even dare to hope or plan or dream. Just be born and accept whatever life your father was magnanimous enough to give you. If he wants you married off,off you go and continue the slavery in the harem of your oga.if you run off and marry who you chose,you can be killed by your father and brothers to purge the family of the SHAME you brought them. I know that's not the case for all. But it is for the majority. And it is sad

Re: Deep Divisions Over Nigerian Child Bride On Murder Charge by pickabeau1: 9:09pm On Aug 15, 2014
cococandy: xx

Madam dey learn to dey quote well Na..

Haba....

That's why I believe if more moderates speak out...this thing will become outdated

They will not give out their daughters so young..so with time it will trickle down....slowly n sadly

20?..I feel 18 is OK as a minimum age

Abuse of power?..,I think its mostly an economic issue
Re: Deep Divisions Over Nigerian Child Bride On Murder Charge by cococandy(f): 9:16pm On Aug 15, 2014
pickabeau1:

Madam dey learn to dey quote well Na..

Haba....

That's why I believe if more moderates speak out...this thing will become outdated

They will not give out their daughters so young..so with time it will trickle down....slowly n sadly

20?..I feel 18 is OK as a minimum age

Abuse of power?..,I think its mostly an economic issue
Forgive me. Lol

I know 18 is the minimum age just saying.

Not economic. There are poor people in the other regions too.
It's abuse of power pure and simple.
Re: Deep Divisions Over Nigerian Child Bride On Murder Charge by pickabeau1: 9:21pm On Aug 15, 2014
cococandy:
Forgive me. Lol

I know 18 is the minimum age just saying.

Not economic. There are poor people in the other regions too.
It's abuse of power pure and simple.

OK..however one can not deny the vast differences in per capita income n literacy levels between the north n south

Tragic considering they have ruled thus country for more than 33 years
Re: Deep Divisions Over Nigerian Child Bride On Murder Charge by cococandy(f): 9:30pm On Aug 15, 2014
pickabeau1:

OK..however one can not deny the vast differences in per capita income n literacy levels between the north n south

Tragic considering they have ruled thus country for more than 33 years

Still the abuse of power I'm talking about here.
A male child will go to any level of education he wants to if his family can afford to.
Even the US or UK for western degrees and whatever else he wants to do.

The female child on the other hand is rarely given such opportunity except where the father is extremely kind.

Is this not a deliberate attempt to keep them subdued and subservient?
They believe she'll become corrupted enlightened and won't stay in 'her place'

I tire sha. I no fit kill myself for this matter even though it gives me a lot of concern.
Can't cry more than the bereaved joor.
Re: Deep Divisions Over Nigerian Child Bride On Murder Charge by pickabeau1: 9:37pm On Aug 15, 2014
cococandy:

Still the abuse of power I'm talking about here.
A male child will go to any level of education he wants to if his family can afford to.
Even the US or UK for western degrees and whatever else he wants to do.

The female child on the other hand is rarely given such opportunity except where the father is extremely kind.

Is this not a deliberate attempt to keep them subdued and subservient?
They believe she'll become corrupted enlightened and won't stay in 'her place'

I tire sha. I no fit kill myself for this matter even though it gives me a lot of concern.
Can't cry more than the nereaved joor.

You miss it totally

The literacy level in the North is abysmally poor for both genders... Damn..u did not know that
The children of the elite are those who go to the highest levels...

I'm sure you know el rufai daughter had 2 masters in the UK

Coco... Check your facts....
Re: Deep Divisions Over Nigerian Child Bride On Murder Charge by cococandy(f): 10:12pm On Aug 15, 2014
Not missing any points.
Education is low for both genders. Are the poor boys forced to marry at a young age? No.

So education isn't their primary problem.

I did say that's not the case for all. So before your post I know there are educated and high flying females from the north.
El rufai is one example among many elites whose kids get good education.
Still for every elite like him,there are 10 who aren't interested in empowering their daughters.
Whose daughters are part of someone's harem hidden away somewhere.

Btw if we have to use elites as examples when something as basic as education and a right to choose the kind of life the girl wants for herself is being discussed,then it means something needs to be done ASAP

I still insist that if the women had a voice like they should,the rate of girl child marriages will reduce.
Lack of education and poverty contributes.yes
But addressing it alone(which is something that has been going on anyway) won't solve the problem until the women get to have a choice

pickabeau1:

You miss it totally

The literacy level in the North is abysmally poor for both genders... Damn..u did not know that
The children of the elite are those who go to the highest levels...

I'm sure you know el rufai daughter had 2 masters in the UK

Coco... Check your facts....
Re: Deep Divisions Over Nigerian Child Bride On Murder Charge by Nobody: 10:43am On Aug 16, 2014
tintingz: Lol really? child marriages are not practiced in the west?

Wiki says...

The laws in many countries allow child marriages, that is the marriage of girls and boys less than 18 years of age. The minimum legally approved age of marriage is less than 15 in some countries. Such laws are neither limited to developing countries, nor to state religion. In Europe, for example, Catholic canon law sets 14 as the minimum age for the marriage of girls, [52] as does Spain with a legal guardian's permission. [53] In North America, girls can be legally married at age 15 in Mexico. Canada and many states in the USA permit child marriages, with court's permission .
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Child_marriage

and the last time I checked a girl of 11 years old gave birth to a child in the west, kids are now having sexx?

First of all, the legal age for marriage in most Western countries is 18. Fact no. 1.

In some countries, people can get married at the age of 16 with either parental consent or court permission but NEVER AGAINST THEIR WILL. Civilised countries protect children.

The Catholic cannon is not applied anywhere.

Get your facts right!

Has nobody ever taught you that wikipedia is not a reliable source?

Can't you see that the article you are quoting is badly written?

Which country is North America? shocked

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

FG Promises To Generate 6,000 Megawatts By Dec 2016 / Buratai Hosts Troops To Durban In Borno / Youths Demand Probe Of Ambode, Storm Lagos Assembly

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.