Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,342 members, 7,822,617 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 01:55 PM

ICAN November Diet 2014 (new Syllabus) - Career (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / ICAN November Diet 2014 (new Syllabus) (99353 Views)

ICAN November 2023 Diet Exam - Let's Meet Here / FREE ACCA Past Questions For ICAN New Syllabus Exam / How Was Last ICAN November Diet? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (37) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ICAN November Diet 2014 (new Syllabus) by bk2020: 12:25pm On Sep 14, 2014
I am writing application stage, I dnt knw whether they sell to outsiders....me I dnt even mind making fotocopies. I attend riskfree
Re: ICAN November Diet 2014 (new Syllabus) by boofydon: 7:06pm On Sep 14, 2014
whizqueen:

No you can't, you have to complete the papers in a stage before you can write the next stage.
Someone should kindly help this sis. get the materials. Thank you
where hath thou
Re: ICAN November Diet 2014 (new Syllabus) by boofydon: 7:08pm On Sep 14, 2014
bk2020: I am writing application stage, I dnt knw whether they sell to outsiders....me I dnt even mind making fotocopies. I attend riskfree
yes they sell to outsiders- as of when i called them early this year. I've being unable get through to them via their phone contact of recent
Re: ICAN November Diet 2014 (new Syllabus) by toyad(m): 12:06pm On Sep 15, 2014
Please i am writing corporate reporting and case study at the professional stage....please help with available ACCA packs and relevant materials.thanks
Re: ICAN November Diet 2014 (new Syllabus) by funkyjms: 3:33pm On Sep 15, 2014
^^^
Who is this now? undecided
Re: ICAN November Diet 2014 (new Syllabus) by whizqueen(f): 4:52pm On Sep 15, 2014
Kossyne: Pls let's make this thread more interactive. We can share other useful things other than materials like exam tips, study tips, questions you find difficult on any paper. I know everybody is busy trying to cover the syllabus. That's understandable. But sparing an hour of your reading time to teach or probably learn something from your colleagues goes a long way. "Two heads are better than one" they say. Let's help ourselves.

how far have you gone in financial reporting? Av covered only group account, the adjusments are just so many that one has to be very careful. Just trying to start accounting standards. Exam is fast approachin two mnths to go ooooo... Chai
Re: ICAN November Diet 2014 (new Syllabus) by whizqueen(f): 4:54pm On Sep 15, 2014
pearldrops: Pls which is most preferred? ICAN or ACCA?
ACCA is recognised world wide but ICAN is recognised well in Nigeria and some other african countries dou. ICAN is ok but ACCA has more recognition
Re: ICAN November Diet 2014 (new Syllabus) by whizqueen(f): 5:00pm On Sep 15, 2014
Emeka71: Wait a minute; does the new development mean no more PE1 and PE2 and just 5 papers at a professional level; meaning that some Guru can attempt it just once( Accounting exempted students) and be lucky <ACA>
All acounting graduates and AAT holders would have to write four papers in application level b4 dey can go ahead to the final stage to write 5papers
Re: ICAN November Diet 2014 (new Syllabus) by whizqueen(f): 5:01pm On Sep 15, 2014
boofydon: Seem i'm alone in the knowledge stage here undecided
lolz u r not alone, more people in knowledge level are coming, den neva show face yet thatz y
Re: ICAN November Diet 2014 (new Syllabus) by whizqueen(f): 5:03pm On Sep 15, 2014
missnigeria: Pls has ICAN started giving out study packs because november diet exam registration have started already
As at today from wat i knw ICAN packs are yet to be published or publicized rada
Re: ICAN November Diet 2014 (new Syllabus) by whizqueen(f): 5:13pm On Sep 15, 2014
@bk2020
I went thru that packs its very okay dou. All this tuition centres are just coming up wit one material or the other wich dey consider ''useful and relevant'' but its only the institute that can give the one that will b the best to follow. Till we get dem we have no other options.

@All please lets be very careful with the materials or textbooks we are using in preparing because wen u av too many books to read for jes a course you would be confused on the one to read especially wen they now start contraditing eachother(bigger problem). I pray God kips us on the right track.
And also for those writing PSAF if u can lay ur hands on the old pathfinder questns i tink they are very useful because there is no much change in its syllabus jes the removal of MCQ n SAQ.
Re: ICAN November Diet 2014 (new Syllabus) by Kossyne(m): 7:57pm On Sep 15, 2014
whizqueen:

how far have you gone in financial reporting? Av covered only group account, the adjusments are just so many that one has to be very careful. Just trying to start accounting standards. Exam is fast approachin two mnths to go ooooo... Chai

Well there's no need to panic. Just have a reading plan and stick to it. Set achievable targets you wish to achieve each day. Discipline and consistency is the key.

Well I haven't covered much yet. I am through with the statement of cashflow, preparation of Statement of P/L and OCI , SOCIE, and SOFP. I have also covered the Consolidated Statement of Fin position. The syllabus requires us to be able to prepare the Cons. Fin. Stat of a parent, subsidiary and associate. So the Cons SOFP and SPL and OCI are requisite knowledge. For the IASs, I ve covered at least 7 of them and plan to get back to them once I am thru with Grp Accts. The most important thing abt them is application so I learn them by solving questions requiring their application. I have a strong feeling that the compulsory question in Fin.Rep will come from grp accts. Just a hunch though.
Re: ICAN November Diet 2014 (new Syllabus) by Kossyne(m): 9:19pm On Sep 15, 2014
For Candidates sitting for the November diet of ICAN exams: Something to think about.

You have 2 months to cover the entire syllabus, so that's barely enough time. Even if you attend tutorials,(you have roughly 16 days since most tuition houses hold lectures only on weekends) you can't cover the syllabus. Again its impossible to read 24 hours in a day( you are not a machine.)
But you can efficiently utilize the little time left if you apply these tips:

#1. Have a reading plan. A reading plan is the framework of your timetable. Allocate more time to papers that you find more difficult, know when(time) you read and understand more. For some its the day time, while for others it's during the night or early hours of the morning. But at this stage, its advisable to utilize every time @ your disposal.

#2. Set "achievable" goals. The syllabus is very big, so looking @ it in its entirety can make one develop high blood pressure. So the best approach is to break it into smaller components and attack each component one @ a time. Determine what you will cover in a period, a day and a week. At the end of the week, check whether you achieved this target. Remember setting unrealistic goals might leave you frustrated at the end of the day.

#3. DO NOT READ ANYTHING THAT IS NOT IN THE SYLLABUS: I was chatting with a friend of mine last week who will be sitting this coming diet, and she told me that she's reading the material she ordered from Lagos cover to cover( without the syllabus). Guess what the material is? The old ICAN Fin Reporting and Ethics pack and I bet she's not the only one. I have been to a tutorial centre where Accounting concepts and conventions were taught under Fin. Reporting. The truth is that you have limited time with a lot to cover, don't waste it on things that you won't be tested on.

#4. Your tuition centre does 10% of the job, while the rem 90 will be done by YOU!!!. If you are not ready to read, no amount of tutorial will save you!

#5. Stop cramming the IASs and IPSASs ( For FR and PSAF candidates). Its a waste of time. The most important thing about them is their application.

#6. Limit your social activities just for these two months. Christmas is around the corner anyway, so why the rush? Its worth the wait if you ask me.

I will add more as I remember. Any other person can also add.

6 Likes

Re: ICAN November Diet 2014 (new Syllabus) by boofydon: 9:47pm On Sep 15, 2014
whizqueen: @bk2020
I went thru that packs its very okay dou. All this tuition centres are just coming up wit one material or the other wich dey consider ''useful and relevant'' but its only the institute that can give the one that will b the best to follow. Till we get dem we have no other options.

@All please lets be very careful with the materials or textbooks we are using in preparing because wen u av too many books to read for jes a course you would be confused on the one to read especially wen they now start contraditing eachother(bigger problem). I pray God kips us on the right track.
And also for those writing PSAF if u can lay ur hands on the old pathfinder questns i tink they are very useful because there is no much change in its syllabus jes the removal of MCQ n SAQ.
But why would ican change the syllabus and refuse to give the study pack? Do they want people to fail? undecided
Re: ICAN November Diet 2014 (new Syllabus) by Gcurlz: 10:52pm On Sep 15, 2014
[quote author=vickylinco][/quote]

Can you guys pls share these materials with me? jerry.nnebue@gmail.com
Re: ICAN November Diet 2014 (new Syllabus) by Gcurlz: 10:57pm On Sep 15, 2014
whizqueen: This thread is for ICAN students that are preparing for the november diet ICAN examinations. The Institute is organising a workshop/ seminar based on the new syllabus on saturday, 16 August 2014 at Airport Hotel for lagos based students by 10.00am. The date and venue for other locations will be posted soon. Please lets share relevant materials with eachother here to help pass this diet at once. I am making use of the ACCA study packs for financial reporting and performance management, which other materials do you guys think would be useful for this exam incorporating the change to the new syllabus, lets come in and share, thank you.

Mods please help us do the right thing.

Can you pls share materials for fin reporting, performance mgt, psaf as well as governance and ethics? Also the seminar materials. would be greatly appreciated. jerry.nnebue@gmail.com
Re: ICAN November Diet 2014 (new Syllabus) by Nobody: 11:19pm On Sep 15, 2014
I hv shouted that I need the seminar material and the Performance and any other RELEVANT materials..... Abeg make una help. Esrherfunmilayo.salami@gmail com
Re: ICAN November Diet 2014 (new Syllabus) by whizqueen(f): 11:41am On Sep 16, 2014
Kossyne:

Well there's no need to panic. Just have a reading plan and stick to it. Set achievable targets you wish to achieve each day. Discipline and consistency is the key.

Well I haven't covered much yet. I am through with the statement of cashflow, preparation of Statement of P/L and OCI , SOCIE, and SOFP. I have also covered the Consolidated Statement of Fin position. The syllabus requires us to be able to prepare the Cons. Fin. Stat of a parent, subsidiary and associate. So the Cons SOFP and SPL and OCI are requisite knowledge. For the IASs, I ve covered at least 7 of them and plan to get back to them once I am thru with Grp Accts. The most important thing abt them is application so I learn them by solving questions requiring their application. I have a strong feeling that the compulsory question in Fin.Rep will come from grp accts. Just a hunch though.

Thats wat evryone is tinking of to, dat d number one questn wuld b group accts bt financial ratios also carry d same 30% in d syllabus so it shuld be one of the two. All dose standards applies mostly to published financial statements and that could take a whole lotta tym in exam condition. So av left d standards for now n focusing more on ratios, wich will help for both FR m PM
Re: ICAN November Diet 2014 (new Syllabus) by whizqueen(f): 11:49am On Sep 16, 2014
boofydon:
But why would ican change the syllabus and refuse to give the study pack? Do they want people to fail? undecided

I dunno for them oh, thats a very big neglience on the part of those committe in charge of publicatn of material. Who can sue them for their carefree attitude? They dnt evn care about students preparatn atall instead of giving us packs they are telling us to register for exam dat we aint prepared for. Goddey sha
Re: ICAN November Diet 2014 (new Syllabus) by dr2010: 12:45pm On Sep 16, 2014
Pls house,did anybody know when the new ICANstudy packs are coming out.
Re: ICAN November Diet 2014 (new Syllabus) by bk2020: 2:30pm On Sep 16, 2014
Ican o...study packs ke..u beta carry acca packs n read ..all will b well...d tution houses will give u @least 30%of what u need to pass,read your notes well before reading txtbooks cos there is no tym

1 Like

Re: ICAN November Diet 2014 (new Syllabus) by Kossyne(m): 7:57pm On Sep 16, 2014
whizqueen:

Thats wat evryone is tinking of to, dat d number one questn wuld b group accts bt financial ratios also carry d same 30% in d syllabus so it shuld be one of the two. All dose standards applies mostly to published financial statements and that could take a whole lotta tym in exam condition. So av left d standards for now n focusing more on ratios, wich will help for both FR m PM

That's very thoughtful of you, just like the proverbial "killing two birds with a stone". Consolildation is always a big challenge for candidates and it appears more technical than the Acct Ratios which is more of cramming formulae and churning out calculatings, though the analysis part can be quite tricky but certainly not on par with the technicality of consolidation.

For the standards, scenario questions(which doesn't involve Prep of Fin Statements) which involves two or more standards can be asked. Its all good sha. God strong pass them!!
Re: ICAN November Diet 2014 (new Syllabus) by whizqueen(f): 9:01pm On Sep 16, 2014
Kossyne:

That's very thoughtful of you, just like the proverbial "killing two birds with a stone". Consolildation is always a big challenge for candidates and it appears more technical than the Acct Ratios which is more of cramming formulae and churning out calculatings, though the analysis part can be quite tricky but certainly not on par with the technicality of consolidation.

For the standards, scenario questions(which doesn't involve Prep of Fin Statements) which involves two or more standards can be asked. Its all good sha. God strong pass them!!

Abi nw, its strategy one has to use in reading dis days as the time is short alrdy. I dunno if u can enlighten me more on wat dose sceneraio based questns would b like and d advise we would b required to offer. I tink ACCA test such questns to
Re: ICAN November Diet 2014 (new Syllabus) by boofydon: 9:29pm On Sep 16, 2014
Who will eat the Knowledge diet with me naa cry
Re: ICAN November Diet 2014 (new Syllabus) by Kossyne(m): 10:55pm On Sep 16, 2014
whizqueen:

Abi nw, its strategy one has to use in reading dis days as the time is short alrdy. I dunno if u can enlighten me more on wat dose sceneraio based questns would b like and d advise we would b required to offer. I tink ACCA test such questns to

Well Scenario based questions requires one to apply the knowledge of two or more standards to provide solution to a problem. It tests the extent to which one can employ the requirements of relevent standards to solve Accounting problems.it may require you to perform little computations and entries before making your comments. You may or may not be told the applicable standard. Get the F7 revision kit for more info.
Re: ICAN November Diet 2014 (new Syllabus) by Kossyne(m): 11:03pm On Sep 16, 2014
whizqueen:

Well Scenario based questions requires one to apply the knowledge of two or more standards to provide solution to a problem. It tests the extent to which one can employ the requirements of relevent standards to solve Accounting problems.it may require you to perform little computations and entries before making your comments. You may or may not be told the applicable standard. Get the F7 revision kit for more info.
Re: ICAN November Diet 2014 (new Syllabus) by nnamdorian: 5:56am On Sep 18, 2014
Please friend kindly inbox me the material. nnamdorian@gmail.com thanks alot.
Re: ICAN November Diet 2014 (new Syllabus) by Nobody: 8:31am On Sep 18, 2014
I beg you guys please help with the materials....... Pleaaaaaaassssssssssseeeee.
Re: ICAN November Diet 2014 (new Syllabus) by Nobody: 8:31am On Sep 18, 2014
I beg you guys please help with the materials....... Pleaaaaaaassssssssssseeeee.esrherfunmilayo.salami@gmail.com
Re: ICAN November Diet 2014 (new Syllabus) by boofydon: 8:42am On Sep 18, 2014
Givemejoy: I beg you guys please help with the materials....... Pleaaaaaaassssssssssseeeee.esrherfunmilayo.salami@gmail.com
lol. Seem everyone is currently in a "solo mode"
Re: ICAN November Diet 2014 (new Syllabus) by boofydon: 9:09am On Sep 18, 2014
So i'm the only one that wants to write the knowledge stage diet abi? Make all of una dey hide o. Mstcheew

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (37) (Reply)

I Earn £50 As A Naked Cleaner - British Lady / Professions Whose Graduates Get Jobs Easily In Nigeria / Top Ten Professional Exams

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.