Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,635 members, 7,820,226 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:49 AM

Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? (26659 Views)

Culture Shock. Caption This Photo. / Is Wearing Western Clothing Forsaking Your Culture? / Have You Ever Experienced Tyre Burst When Carrying Mortar? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by lalasticlala(m): 9:54am On Aug 16, 2014
rozzay: Mine was wen I travelled to somewere in d east(won't mention) wearing shorts is normal here in lag nd I wasn't told dat its a taboo dere. Hehehehehehe u nid to c how I was beaten I don't want to state d detasils. Till date I can't near dere. Tho d elders apologised to me nd my friend who was an indigene but d ordeal still scares me sanytime I rem

hahahahahahaha

really?

where?
maybe one very rural area
Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by Nobody: 9:55am On Aug 16, 2014
Went to Cotonuo,was surprised that their secondary school students are allowed to wear anything to school-flashy hair,makeup,high heel shoes etc. Unlike in Nigeria,where there's restriction.

3 Likes

Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by SMALLPENIS(f): 9:55am On Aug 16, 2014
lalasticlala:

hahahahahahaha

noooooo!!!!!!

just that in the Eastern part of Nigeria, they don't do it that way, they use tissue
lol.,okay
Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by Nobody: 9:57am On Aug 16, 2014
[quote author=lalasticlala]

hahahahahahaha

really?

where?
maybe one very rural area[/quote
My dear no be small thing! As I dey waka dem first dey shout chisos! Chisos! B4 I know na koboko things ]
Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by lalasticlala(m): 9:58am On Aug 16, 2014
oluamid: My culture shock was during my service year in Nasarawa state ( I taught). During one of my classes, I asked a JSS2 female student of about 12-13 years what she will like to be in future and her response was:

"I want to get married".

To say that I was shocked that day would be an understatement. My jaw was literally on the floor. Lol. It turned out that girls marry early in the state (esp the muslim population), because 90 percent of the girls in that class got married before I left including the girl I just talked about.

Another culture shock was seeing girls as young as 2 years and above in Lafia applying heavy makeup.

Another would be the amount of yams you can get for as low as #500 around september and october. Yams that you won't get for less than #3000 in Lagos at any period is what goes for around #500 during that period.

Another culture shock would be getting to know that there's no indigenous Hausa person from Nasarawa state though the widely spoken language in the state is Hausa (Hausa is the lingua franca).

Damn, I love that state. Serene, friendly and peace loving people. Its my adopted state of origin.

wow urs are funny o. nice one
Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by skyface00(m): 10:03am On Aug 16, 2014
i went 2 imo orlu community for business and all i see every morning is wife working in the farm while husband will stand looking at her with strick in his mouth.......i noticed woman there do all the work while men seat around drinking plamwine and gist......but most of the woman dere kia with muscle lolz thought they are loving and will finish u with strongest fufu

2 Likes

Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by emenik08: 10:03am On Aug 16, 2014
1st shock:
Back in secondary skul, i waz a boarder so one day a female copper invitd my friend n I for lunch and guess wat!! She servd us garri n stew. To say we were shockd is an undastatement, cos our puzzld look told her dat somtin waz wrong. Wen she askd us we told her we dnt no hw to eat garri n stew. The rest na history

In d university my roomate dat grew up in d west always overcook beans until its nearly water n den he will mix wit dry garri and eat. That kind food nawaooo

A next door neighbour in skul dat is from benue came back one dat wit dried frog n co. n used it to cook yam porridge. Since dat day, nobdy in dat room near dat guy pot. Even d cup n plate he used to drink water after eatin d food became a no go area (untouchable).

One day i saw a female yoruba corper mashing beans wit broomstick. Mehn i nearly vomit n wen she invitd me to taste n food, i turnd okagbare.

11 Likes

Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by emenik08: 10:06am On Aug 16, 2014
Plz is it through dat core yoruba pple dnt use toilet tissue rather they use water for cleaning up afta toilet
Plz if true why?

2 Likes

Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by Nobody: 10:09am On Aug 16, 2014
One I also experience is in idemili in Anambra state. Where it is not allowed to kill pythons. If you do you will burry the python as you will burry a title holder.

3 Likes

Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by cirmuell(m): 10:22am On Aug 16, 2014
emenik08: Plz is it through dat core yoruba pple dnt use toilet tissue rather they use water for cleaning up afta toilet
Plz if true why?
what is it to you? We shouldn't copy ewery thing the west throw at us. Before the advent of tissue, what were you using to clean ur butt, leafs? undecided

13 Likes

Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by onila(f): 10:28am On Aug 16, 2014
oluamid:

The correct thing to say would have been "some yoruba girls". Except you've met all Yoruba girls - which I doubt -, your post could be easily misinterpreted as tribalist.

their culture is all abt being mean

the rudest girls i have met in my life happened to be yoruba

2 Likes

Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:28am On Aug 16, 2014
lalasticlala:
* The one I experienced today as I travelled from East to North, we got to outskirt of Kaduna, I saw one guy bend down, I was wondering what he was doing , I felt he was defecating, but I was wrong, he was urinating bending down like women. I saw another boy do same. I called my would be host to narrate what I saw and I was told it's their way. I have never seen such before. It was a culture shock to me.

That is because in islam, it is sunnah to sit down and urinate. However, I realised it does make a bit sense because sitting down and urinating releases more/almost all the urine.

Though I personally dont do it all the time. Im not even muslim.

* In Nembe, Bayelsa, during my NYSC, they don't kill snakes, snakes used to litter around. We even saw one at the copers' lodge where we used to fetch water. And the snakes were quite big and shiny.

That is because the spirits of the snakes are considered sacred there.

* Another one was my cousins that lived in the Northern part of Nigeria before they relocated to Cotonou, when I visited them, I noticed they don't use tissue to wipe their ass after defecating. They rather use water. It was shocking to me. Even my coper room mate then from Benue state also did that and my Yoruba roommate.

Thats very clean of them. You use toilet paper? That is disgusting. plz be hygenic and dont leave shyt stuck up your backside.

* Lastly, Once I was coming back from Cotonou few years back, I saw something like sacrificial food items along the road at Badagry area. I was like, so such things still exist?

Nigeria has a sizeable Traditionalist /Pagan population, especially Yorubas (nearly 10-40 %) by my estimates. Including me (not Yoruba though).

So dont be surprised. You will be one too. Soon.

3 Likes

Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by RebelLeader15(m): 10:33am On Aug 16, 2014
In Urhobo communities, using Abraka as a case study, you will see an elderly man who woke up early in the morning tying his wrapper to his waist and hang a bottle of Ogogoro in his armpit......

He started his song by quoting the book of Roman Vs I don't know...

The chorus goes thus

Take glory father, take glory son, take glory holy ghost, as I want to start the drinking

5 Likes

Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by lalasticlala(m): 10:33am On Aug 16, 2014
PAGAN9JA:

That is because in islam, it is sunnah to sit down and urinate. However, I realised it does make a bit sense because sitting down and urinating releases more/alost all the urine.

Though I personally dont do it all the time. Im not even muslim.

That is because the spirits of the snakes are considered sacred there.

Thats very clean of them. You use toilet paper? That is disgusting. plz be hygenic and dont leave shyt stuck up your backside.

Nigeria has a sizeable Traditionalist /Pagan population, especially Yorubas (nearly 10-40 %) by my estimates. Including me (not Yoruba though).

So dont be surprised. You will be one too. Soon.

hahahahahahaha

this really got me laughing
Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by prettiest1(f): 10:34am On Aug 16, 2014
hugelyendowed: Mod front page things o i have experienced cultural shok b4. in akwa ibom, if u r up to 20 years or more as a girl and u neva born, they wil b laughing at u
Please where in Akwa Ibom did you see that. Do you think it's a think of joy for parents in Akwa ibom to have their daughter give birth out of wed-luck? Such a child can be thrown out of the house by the father if the mother does not intervene by pleading seriously with the father or an elderly person in the family/community. To the girl, she will lose her fathers trust, hope and respect. Infact, you won't have voice in the house anymore. Please get your fact correct. No girl would want that happened. I wonder where you got your information.

3 Likes

Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by DukeNija(m): 10:45am On Aug 16, 2014
Kimmo: People and their nasty comments ehn. . . If you don't think this is a good thread, simply move on! Abi ewo ni iranu gaan?!

Anyways, mine was in Ilorin - there were several unusual stuff they took as the norm.

1. The rate they eat wara (dried milk or cheese, something like that)
Mehn, they fry, eat raw, cook, put am inside stew like meat, garnish with pepper like suya and I keep wondering what the attraction is.

Hard working women - they sell meat in the market! That one was shocking. And they had incredibly lazy men who got them pregnant every few months.

The way they respect their husbands no be small, unlike Lagos wives wey deir eye open wella.

It isn't unusual to find one smallie 25 year old boy controlling two women in his house, of which, e fit no get work oh!
One of the house officers in the hospital I served in had two wives and was working on a third, for God's sake!

Since 2007 you have only 90 posts, nawa o?
Did Seun exile you or don't you have internet where u stay?

1 Like

Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:46am On Aug 16, 2014
onuwaje:
Bayelsa
A friend of mine from nembe told me that a stranger does not and is not allowed to ask for pillow because it will tuurn to a snake

Thats actually a snake pillow. I heard that at night, the pythons used to come and lie down next to you to form a pillow or something. It is true. but dont remember the exact context.
Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by emenik08: 10:46am On Aug 16, 2014
cirmuell: what is it to you? We shouldn't copy ewery thing the west throw at us. Before the advent of tissue, what were you using to clean ur butt, leafs? undecided
Na leaves like cassava leaves. What puzzles me is the idea using d same hand to clean our bom bom n same hand to eat

2 Likes

Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by Nobody: 10:46am On Aug 16, 2014
It was January this year in Anambra when I heard a woman beside our room negotiating baby selling with someone on phone. And according to what I heard,they said that is normal among the Igbos!

2 Likes

Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by tuffgongjo(m): 10:47am On Aug 16, 2014
Kimmo: People and their nasty comments ehn. . . If you don't think this is a good thread, simply move on! Abi ewo ni iranu gaan?!

Anyways, mine was in Ilorin - there were several unusual stuff they took as the norm.

1. The rate they eat wara (dried milk or cheese, something like that)
Mehn, they fry, eat raw, cook, put am inside stew like meat, garnish with pepper like suya and I keep wondering what the attraction is.

Hard working women - they sell meat in the market! That one was shocking. And they had incredibly lazy men who got them pregnant every few months.

The way they respect their husbands no be small, unlike Lagos wives wey deir eye open wella.

It isn't unusual to find one smallie 25 year old boy controlling two women in his house, of which, e fit no get work oh!
One of the house officers in the hospital I served in had two wives and was working on a third, for God's sake!
you forget to add their "marrying like 100 women out the same day$most of them sef don born finish".
Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:47am On Aug 16, 2014
todayguest: My shock most times are the tribal marks on some peoples face. One would begin to imagine, the designs patterns, the mean artist, the size of scar, heartless parents, loss of blood, pains and cries of the hapless child. And how it had disfigured some pretty faces.

Please dont exaggerate foolish person. You are crying more than the so-called victim. I have tribal marks and so do members of my family. We are all doing fine.

Tribal marks add to the aesthetic beauty of the individual. It is our culture. not a disfigurement.

6 Likes

Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by Olamilekan08(m): 10:48am On Aug 16, 2014
emenik08:
In d university my roomate dat grew up in d west always overcook beans until its nearly water n den he will mix wit dry garri and eat. That kind food nawaooo
A next door neighbour in skul dat is from benue came back one dat wit dried frog n co. n used it to cook yam porridge. Since dat day, nobdy in dat room near dat guy pot. Even d cup n plate he used to drink water after eatin d food became a no go area (untouchable).
One day i saw a female yoruba corper mashing beans wit broomstick. Mehn i nearly vomit n wen she invitd me to taste n food, i turnd okagbare.
I never knw these food you mention here can be shocking to someone.
That is actually not a sweeping broom, bt a broom specially designed 4 dat. Dats Gbegiri.u'll enjoy it, especially with ewedu,n amala.
Dat beans and garri, dats wat my guys calld 'sokudale'. When u take it, it ll b long b4 u go hungry again.
I'm sure dats nt a frog bt a toad.Men dat tin sweet die! Especialy in stew,lying on rice.
I hope i'm nt scaring u.

3 Likes

Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by Arysexy(m): 10:50am On Aug 16, 2014
emenik08: Plz is it through dat core yoruba pple dnt use toilet tissue rather they use water for cleaning up afta toilet
Plz if true why?

Very true, my roommate during service was a Yoruba guy. Normally I bzyrtec tissue paper and keep in the toilet, never knew he wasn't using them till I traveld and after 2 weeks of my absence the tissue paper was still intact.

I enquired from him out of my curiosity and the ogbunigwe was exploded to me. From that day I stopped allowing him to cook and was always mindful of shaking him after he has gone to the loo.

His reason for using water is hygiene but that did not go down well with me cos there was never soap in the toilet, meaning he uses bare hand to scrub the shyt from the anus, yuck!

Tissue is the best, but while bathing, I use sponge and soap to tidy up any remnant if any and same time wash hands and body thoroughly.

3 Likes

Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by cirmuell(m): 10:50am On Aug 16, 2014
emenik08:
Na leaves like cassava leaves. What puzzles me is the idea using d same hand to clean our bom bom n same hand to eat
you eat with your 'bare' left hand? undecided

7 Likes

Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by thandii1: 10:50am On Aug 16, 2014
yinkuscious: The culture shock I experienced was Ijare, Ondo state, when they are doing there festival... I saw everybody beating themselves with a thick nd long cane. They call it 'jopa' (take cane). The most surprising thing was that even the old men were beaten by the young guys. Even there king also came around to the village square to jopa... Nobody was excluded. Flogging themselves mercilessly.. Na God save me that day

This has to be strangest culture shock I've read so far. What?

What I have to say might not necessarily be a culture shock, but during my stay in the north, I was amazed at how the northerners accepted any kind of notes, torn, badly cellotaped notes were collected as normal thing. Here in the south people frown and reject such notes, some even reject dirty notes.

In lagos, I just could not wrap my head around the way the drivers move their cars. They drive in such a way they you'd think they'd hit your bumper. Never seen such reckless driving all my life.

9 Likes

Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:50am On Aug 16, 2014
oluamid:

Another culture shock would be getting to know that there's no indigenous Hausa person from Nasarawa state though the widely spoken language in the state is Hausa (Hausa is the lingua franca).

Damn, I love that state. Serene, friendly and peace loving people. Its my adopted state of origin.

what do you mean by this ? There are some Abakwarigas in this region who have been there for quite long.
Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by prettiest1(f): 10:51am On Aug 16, 2014
YoungDaNaval: Jeeez!. Asin After She's Married or Still Single??
It's not true.
Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by tuffgongjo(m): 10:51am On Aug 16, 2014
In ilorin I saw "age"(muslim ablution kettle than buckets.
Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by YoungDaNaval(m): 10:53am On Aug 16, 2014
prettiest1: It's not true.
Are you 4rm Akwa Ibom?
Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by Arysexy(m): 10:53am On Aug 16, 2014
rahazaqa: It was January this year in Anambra when I heard a woman beside our room negotiating baby selling with someone on phone. And according to what I heard,they said that is normal among the Igbos!

Mumu

8 Likes

Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by Sylverbox(m): 10:55am On Aug 16, 2014
Being born and bred in lagos, Schooling Partly in the North and attending a well-mixed university in the South south I thought I had seen, or at least heard it all. I was wrong!
After the NYSC orientation camp course at Asaya, Kabba, Kogi state, we were given our posting letters. Mine read 'Igalamela-Odolu'. Since I love tourism I was kind of glad it wasn't anywhere I have heard of! Little did I knw. It tool us about 7hours to get there! Along the way at Ofu, I was stunned to see people still live in primitive conditions, mud huts, bare bodies, plus small shrines outside every hut where they buried beer bottles. The driver told us that's what they worship.
I made up my mind there n then to head back to lokoja....but the culture shock I got was that I could Identify some Ibo dudes in that hell of a Place!!! Damn!!!

3 Likes

Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:57am On Aug 16, 2014
[quote author=emenik08]Plz is it through dat core yoruba pple dnt use toilet tissue rather they use water for cleaning up afta toilet
Plz if true why?[/quote

Any normal,sane or clean person will use water, rather than toilet paper.

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Pictures Of Four Oduduwa Monuments In Different Cities / Some Common Misconceptions Nigerians Have About Other Nigerians. / Herbs And Spiritual ( Solutions To Life Issues) Youtube Spirituality Teaching

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.