Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,781 members, 7,820,724 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:18 PM

Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? (26666 Views)

Culture Shock. Caption This Photo. / Is Wearing Western Clothing Forsaking Your Culture? / Have You Ever Experienced Tyre Burst When Carrying Mortar? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by jmoore(m): 7:21am On Aug 16, 2014
When I went to Ogbunike cave, some life animals were left inside the cave. They were kept by pagans used for sacrifice.

1 Like

Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by Nobody: 7:21am On Aug 16, 2014
story for the gods
Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by nikkypearl(f): 7:22am On Aug 16, 2014
Mine was the first time I saw a Calabar friend eating what she called "Yam Pepper Soup" shocked
I thought we only have fish and meat pepper souP!

1 Like

Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by Nobody: 7:22am On Aug 16, 2014
U need to see Ghanians dressed in red attire for a wake keeping or burial grin

#awon weyrey

2 Likes

Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by Shinelle(f): 7:22am On Aug 16, 2014
I just hope this thread doesn't turn into a tribe~bashing one

******continues to read comments******

1 Like

Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by AlfaSeltzer(m): 7:23am On Aug 16, 2014
So I stopped my car for some South korean students to cross the road, and they all thanked me by bowing to me as they cross. I didn;t know what to think.

Anyway, in Ore, I saw things I can't mention, but I was amazed at the number of old cars of many colours that these people drive. I marvel at how those cars manage to start in the morning.

10 Likes

Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by oluseyiforjesus(m): 7:26am On Aug 16, 2014
Op y shld all ds shock u? Is either u ar an Ajebo or u ar not exposed. No offence plz

2 Likes

Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by Funniez: 7:26am On Aug 16, 2014
Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by deebee13(f): 7:27am On Aug 16, 2014
Born and bred in d north, kano state to be precise, i got my first culture shock in Edo state where i served. I saw women selling meat, riding okada... these were strange tins to see cos de were male territories here in kano. And worse of all was how d young girls dressed, it was so bad dat i cover my eyes in embarrasment sometimes!

10 Likes

Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by 2cato: 7:31am On Aug 16, 2014
Anthropologically this culture.
TheBigUrban2: [size=16pt]This is pure ignorance.

The op's examples are not examples of culture shock!!!!!![/size]

It is a far more nuanced issue. Culture shock comes in stages.

Please, those of us who read international business should help the op

1 Like

Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by Nobody: 7:32am On Aug 16, 2014
Nothing shocks me. I conform. Like water. Be water my friend.

1 Like

Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by aminho(m): 7:33am On Aug 16, 2014
* The one I experienced today as I travelled from East to North, we got to outskirt of Kaduna, I saw one guy bend down, I was wondering what he was doing , I felt he was defecating, but I was wrong, he was urinating bending down like women. I saw another boy do same. I called my would be host to narrate what I saw and I was told it's their way. I have never seen such before. It was a culture shock to me.

the guy bending down It has to do with *CLEANLINESS* and exposing *'unclothedness* (which for a man is considered anything from the belly-button down to the knees)

Urine is impure..it is dirty..it nullifies ablution..and even if a drop of it gets on our clothes..we need to change them..or wash them..otherwise we cannot pray in them..or perform acts of worship such as read Qura'an..also..exposing the 'awrah is considered a sin in Islam..and the way some urinate exposes their 'awrah...I do not need to go into much detail..but I am sure you know what I mean..

17 Likes

Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by Nobody: 7:41am On Aug 16, 2014
Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by Nobody: 7:44am On Aug 16, 2014
I am experiencing the so called culture shock as I am reading OP's article. His perception of culture shock is very shocking!!!

16 Likes

Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by YoungDaNaval(m): 7:47am On Aug 16, 2014
ahnie: Seconded...:*.
Book Well ooh!
Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by YoungDaNaval(m): 7:48am On Aug 16, 2014
hugelyendowed: Mod front page things o i have experienced cultural shok b4. in akwa ibom, if u r up to 20 years or more as a girl and u neva born, they wil b laughing at u
Jeeez!. Asin After She's Married or Still Single??
Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by YoungDaNaval(m): 7:51am On Aug 16, 2014
Adeoba10: When I travelled to Abia state (Isialangwa north) and i saw ladies riding bicycle and bike , infact, d husband will sit at d back while d lady will b riding it... I was surprised... U will see 2-3yrs children riding CHOPPER bicycle
True Talk!
Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by gbaskiboy: 7:53am On Aug 16, 2014
adebisiema: This are not culture shock oo. Stop derrailing the topic. Oloshi
if u don't have anything to say stop using sarcastic words, hw many topics u get self and hw many don hit front page...grin

2 Likes

Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by KillerBeauty(f): 7:53am On Aug 16, 2014
TheBigUrban2: [size=16pt]This is pure ignorance.

The op's examples are not examples of culture shock!!!!!![/size]

It is a far more nuanced issue. Culture shock comes in stages.

Please, those of us who read international business should help the op

U nid to go google what culture shock means

In anthropology all what the op described are examples of culture shock

Also what have international business have to do with the topic

12 Likes

Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by oyatmicah(m): 7:55am On Aug 16, 2014
na comments i come read o.
Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by YoungDaNaval(m): 7:55am On Aug 16, 2014
bustyhelen: Modes FP things. This is an interesting topic oooo. I wanna learn more about other people's culture ooo
Tells Us Abt Yourz Na.
Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by SMALLPENIS(f): 7:57am On Aug 16, 2014
lalasticlala: Another one was my cousins that lived in the Northern part of Nigeria before they relocated to Cotonou, when I visited them, I noticed they don't use tissue to wipe their ass after defecating. They rather use water. It was shocking to me. Even my coper room mate then from Benue state also did that and my Yoruba roommate.

OP nyash go de smell die grin

14 Likes

Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by leonshom(m): 8:02am On Aug 16, 2014
A Sociological concept smiley Nice one,@OP
Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by YoungDaNaval(m): 8:06am On Aug 16, 2014
Omexonomy: Their is this people from benue state who are having a very funny culture. A man who is a member of the family is alow to have s.ex with all other females being married into the family. To them a woman is being married into a family and not neccesary the property of the man only. A man can use his wife to entertain his visitors or brother.
According to edo culture at the death of a man all his property will be inherited by the first son no matter how wealthy the man might be.
Choi! Where in Benue state?
Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by Jesuspistol(m): 8:07am On Aug 16, 2014
E be like say na d 1st time u go travel from village be this. We sha don see you.

But just if u mind. I'm 1 of those who use to shit in plates in Ojuelegba in those days as a boy
Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by donigspain(m): 8:13am On Aug 16, 2014
YoungDaNaval: Choi! Where in Benue state?
Old TIV culture but no longer in practice.
-Kwande LGA
-Vandeikya LGA
-Katsina-Ala LGA

*I served in TIV Land*
Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by Kimmo(f): 8:13am On Aug 16, 2014
People and their nasty comments ehn. . . If you don't think this is a good thread, simply move on! Abi ewo ni iranu gaan?!

Anyways, mine was in Ilorin - there were several unusual stuff they took as the norm.

1. The rate they eat wara (dried milk or cheese, something like that)
Mehn, they fry, eat raw, cook, put am inside stew like meat, garnish with pepper like suya and I keep wondering what the attraction is.

Hard working women - they sell meat in the market! That one was shocking. And they had incredibly lazy men who got them pregnant every few months.

The way they respect their husbands no be small, unlike Lagos wives wey deir eye open wella.

It isn't unusual to find one smallie 25 year old boy controlling two women in his house, of which, e fit no get work oh!
One of the house officers in the hospital I served in had two wives and was working on a third, for God's sake!

9 Likes

Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by lalasticlala(m): 8:17am On Aug 16, 2014
aminho: * The one I experienced today as I travelled from East to North, we got to outskirt of Kaduna, I saw one guy bend down, I was wondering what he was doing , I felt he was defecating, but I was wrong, he was urinating bending down like women. I saw another boy do same. I called my would be host to narrate what I saw and I was told it's their way. I have never seen such before. It was a culture shock to me.

the guy bending down It has to do with *CLEANLINESS* and exposing *'unclothedness* (which for a man is considered anything from the belly-button down to the knees)

Urine is impure..it is dirty..it nullifies ablution..and even if a drop of it gets on our clothes..we need to change them..or wash them..otherwise we cannot pray in them..or perform acts of worship such as read Qura'an..also..exposing the 'awrah is considered a sin in Islam..and the way some urinate exposes their 'awrah...I do not need to go into much detail..but I am sure you know what I mean..

thanks for the clarifications. just that , it was my first time of seeing it. that's y its good to move around , travel around . thanks once more

2 Likes

Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by Dorisbest(f): 8:25am On Aug 16, 2014
hugelyendowed: Mod front page things o i have experienced cultural shok b4. in akwa ibom, if u r up to 20 years or more as a girl and u neva born, they wil b laughing at u
trash trash trash trash mtchw....

3 Likes

Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by lalasticlala(m): 8:25am On Aug 16, 2014
SMALLPENIS:

OP nyash go de smell die grin

hahahahahahaha

noooooo!!!!!!

just that in the Eastern part of Nigeria, they don't do it that way, they use tissue
Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by TheBigUrban2: 8:27am On Aug 16, 2014
KillerBeauty:

U nid to go google what culture shock means

In anthropology all what the op described are examples of culture shock

Also what have international business have to do with the topic

lol...when you send expatriates to foreign countries, what happens?

You are the one that needs to google stuff. Even wikipedia has the stages of culture shock.
Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by TheBigUrban2: 8:29am On Aug 16, 2014

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Pictures Of Four Oduduwa Monuments In Different Cities / Some Common Misconceptions Nigerians Have About Other Nigerians. / Herbs And Spiritual ( Solutions To Life Issues) Youtube Spirituality Teaching

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.