Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,840 members, 7,820,925 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:28 AM

Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? (26675 Views)

Culture Shock. Caption This Photo. / Is Wearing Western Clothing Forsaking Your Culture? / Have You Ever Experienced Tyre Burst When Carrying Mortar? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by prettiest1(f): 10:59am On Aug 16, 2014
YoungDaNaval: Are you 4rm Akwa Ibom?
Yea.
Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by YoungDaNaval(m): 11:00am On Aug 16, 2014
prettiest1: Yea.
Where In Akwa Ibom?
Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by todayguest(m): 11:02am On Aug 16, 2014
PAGAN9JA:

Please dont exaggerate foolish person. You are crying more than the so-called victim. I have tribal marks and so do members of my family. We are all doing fine.

Tribal marks add to the aesthetic beauty of the individual. It is our culture. not a disfigurement.
I understand you're a victim. My comment had no insults. I only expressed my feelings. If you're, angry, you should direct it to your Pa or Ma.

9 Likes

Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by ChristyG(f): 11:03am On Aug 16, 2014
onila:

their culture is all abt being mean

the rudest girls i have met in my life happened to be yoruba
that because u are mean and rude b.itc.hy girl urself,so u keep meeting ur kind.all these ur meaningless stories about yoruba girls is getting very stale.u are beginning to sound like a broken record

17 Likes

Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by emenik08: 11:05am On Aug 16, 2014
Olamilekan08:
I never knw these food you mention here can be shocking to someone.
That is actually not a sweeping broom, bt a broom specially designed 4 dat. Dats Gbegiri.u'll enjoy it, especially with ewedu,n amala.
Dat beans and garri, dats wat my guys calld 'sokudale'. When u take it, it ll b long b4 u go hungry again.
I'm sure dats nt a frog bt a toad.Men dat tin sweet die! Especialy in stew,lying on rice.
I hope i'm nt scaring u.

Scaring me!! I don die finish ressurect again with lafta. I later shop d gbegiri food n it wasn't bad. Bt all these cultural shocks makes me laff n appreciate our diverse cultures.

3 Likes

Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by PAGAN9JA(m): 11:05am On Aug 16, 2014
todayguest: I understand you're a victim. My comment had no insults. I only expressed my feelings. If you're, angry, you should direct it to your Pa or Ma.

I think you need to STFU and mind your own business. F00L.

Its always ppl who dont have tribal marks that are screaming the loudest.

4 Likes

Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by HawtMummie(f): 11:06am On Aug 16, 2014
Was in oturkpo, Benue state recently, the okada men there are so nice. I asked for directions and swiftly they offer to lead us there while we drive our car, only to get there and they refuse money!! After the fifth one refused money, I felt like crying, are pple still this nice? Can't happen in my Lagos, lailai.

16 Likes

Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by prettiest1(f): 11:17am On Aug 16, 2014
YoungDaNaval: Where In Akwa Ibom?
Nsit Ibom LGA.

1 Like

Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by Nobody: 11:25am On Aug 16, 2014
Adeoba10: When I travelled to Abia state (Isialangwa north) and i saw ladies riding bicycle and bike , infact, d husband will sit at d back while d lady will b riding it... I was surprised... U will see 2-3yrs children riding CHOPPER bicycle
Na soo
Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by tuffgongjo(m): 11:28am On Aug 16, 2014
emenik08:
Na leaves like cassava leaves. What puzzles me is the idea using d same hand to clean our bom bom n same hand to eat
you use your right for eating,your left for Washing your nyansh.

5 Likes

Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by lalasticlala(m): 11:29am On Aug 16, 2014
Sylverbox: Being born and bred in lagos, Schooling Partly in the North and attending a well-mixed university in the South south I thought I had seen, or at least heard it all. I was wrong!
After the NYSC orientation camp course at Asaya, Kabba, Kogi state, we were given our posting letters. Mine read 'Igalamela-Odolu'. Since I love tourism I was kind of glad it wasn't anywhere I have heard of! Little did I knw. It tool us about 7hours to get there! Along the way at Ofu, I was stunned to see people still live in primitive conditions, mud huts, bare bodies, plus small shrines outside every hut where they buried beer bottles. The driver told us that's what they worship.
I made up my mind there n then to head back to lokoja....but the culture shock I got was that I could Identify some Ibo dudes in that hell of a Place!!! Damn!!!

Ya, Igbos are everywhere o

1 Like

Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by AmericanCar: 11:29am On Aug 16, 2014
So here it is.....I usually just read for interest and entertainment blogs and forums from around the world because of the business i am in-exporter of vehicles from the USA. I can relate to this culture shock topic in a big way. Everyday i communicate with people not just from Nigeria but from other countries all over Africa, the Middle East, South America, the Russian region and more. And I am a woman and deal almost exclusively with men. Yes and I have been to West Africa. I love to talk but I find when I travel, I stay quiet because everything around me is different....so different that i figure the easiest way to keep everything cool and calm is to just stay quiet and observe.....
We all love our homes because we everything is familiar and comfortable.....the way people talk, the way people smell, what we eat, how we go to the bathroom (urinate and defecate), and for me as a woman.....how men treat me and I treat them.
I now just say....."that's who they are and they were made by our perfect Universe just like I was" and besides, it makes for forums like this where we talk about it.
Here is where I had to learn to laugh......I know when my phone rings in the middle of the night (I am in New York City) and there is a male voice demanding I send them pictures of a particular car NOW and Urgently......9 out of 10 times the country code on my phone is 234. smiley And the standard reply from 234 after they see the car and the price......too expensive...... can you give it to me for half the price that you quote? (which happens to be way way below the cost of any DECENT and LEGALLY ACQUIRED car in the USA. Now if they don't say its too expensive and ask for the invoice......then I know it is DEFINITELY a fraudster.

And yes i eat with my left hand

5 Likes

Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by YOUNGSTUNA(m): 11:33am On Aug 16, 2014
i travelled alot...my weirdest experienced, was that of the yorubas(on offence) the way those guys pee in custard rubber 6 meters from their pot and flung the poop around like a present from santa claus......meen was kinda absurb and alertin

2 Likes

Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by tuffgongjo(m): 11:35am On Aug 16, 2014
AmericanCar: So here it is.....I usually just read for interest and entertainment blogs and forums from around the world because of the business i am in-exporter of vehicles from the USA. I can relate to this culture shock topic in a big way. Everyday i communicate with people not just from Nigeria but from other countries all over Africa, the Middle East, South America, the Russian region and more. And I am a woman and deal almost exclusively with men. Yes and I have been to West Africa. I love to talk but I find when I travel, I stay quiet because everything around me is different....so different that i figure the easiest way to keep everything cool and calm is to just stay quiet and observe.....
We all love our homes because we everything is familiar and comfortable.....the way people talk, the way people smell, what we eat, how we go to the bathroom (urinate and defecate), and for me as a woman.....how men treat me and I treat them.
I now just say....."that's who they are and they were made by our perfect Universe just like I was" and besides, it makes for forums like this where we talk about it.
Here is where I had to learn to laugh......I know when my phone rings in the middle of the night (I am in New York City) and there is a male voice demanding I send them pictures of a particular car NOW and Urgently......9 out of 10 times the country code on my phone is 234. smiley And the standard reply from 234 after they see the car and the price......too expensive...... can you give it to me for half the price that you quote? (which happens to be way way below the cost of any DECENT and LEGALLY ACQUIRED car in the USA. Now if they don't say its too expensive and ask for the invoice......then I know it is DEFINITELY a fraudster.

And yes i eat with my left hand

this is more of an advertisement.

5 Likes

Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by LaRoyalHighness(f): 11:35am On Aug 16, 2014
Which part of Akwa Ibom?
hugelyendowed: Mod front page things o i have experienced cultural shok b4. in akwa ibom, if u r up to 20 years or more as a girl and u neva born, they wil b laughing at u
Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by Nobody: 11:51am On Aug 16, 2014
emenik08:
Na leaves like cassava leaves. What puzzles me is the idea using d same hand to clean our bom bom n same hand to eat

Then what is the use of soap. How about putting your hand inside your nose and using the same hand to eat. I am so surprised by this. How can u think tissue paper will clean all the shit away. embarassed lipsrsealed

2 Likes

Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by PAGAN9JA(m): 11:53am On Aug 16, 2014
sandijey:

Then what is the use of soap. How about putting your hand inside your nose and using the same hand to eat. I am so surprised by this. How can u think tissue paper will clean all the shit away. embarassed lipsrsealed

The left hand is used. Tell him. also it is washed thoroughly with soap.

and these days we have bidet technology.
Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by matsilver: 12:29pm On Aug 16, 2014
Mine was my first visit 2 abuja, dat was in d year 2014. I was insde d room truout d first day, d second day i decide 2 cum out n feel d beautiful city n d colourful street wit full of design flowers. As i opned d gate.behold, i saw an old woman in her late 70's, carring a heavy load on her back sholder instead of her head.. @ first i tought it's d load dat disbalance her, i rushd 2 helpd her, d next tin i hear was "haya haya"means, commot 4rm road. I was so shock..

1 Like

Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by GoodBoi1(m): 12:44pm On Aug 16, 2014
Arysexy:

Very true, my roommate during service was a Yoruba guy. Normally I bzyrtec tissue paper and keep in the toilet, never knew he wasn't using them till I traveld and after 2 weeks of my absence the tissue paper was still intact.

I enquired from him out of my curiosity and the ogbunigwe was exploded to me. From that day I stopped allowing him to cook and was always mindful of shaking him after he has gone to the loo.

His reason for using water is hygiene but that did not go down well with me cos there was never soap in the toilet, meaning he uses bare hand to scrub the shyt from the anus, yuck!

Tissue is the best, but while bathing, I use sponge and soap to tidy up any remnant if any and same time wash hands and body thoroughly.
Exactly. If the bowel movement and wiping is done correctly there won't be any external poo and you don't get to come in contact with it. Anything else can be done when bathing. What does it take to learn the art of wiping ass?

1 Like

Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by defendedvictim(m): 12:45pm On Aug 16, 2014
hugelyendowed: Mod front page things o i have experienced cultural shok b4. in akwa ibom, if u r up to 20 years or more as a girl and u neva born, they wil b laughing at u
wat if I told u its a lie?
Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by Lamasta(m): 1:30pm On Aug 16, 2014
Culture don't shock me, I shock culture grin grin grin
Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by Amhappy(f): 1:48pm On Aug 16, 2014
I was shocked the day a friend took me to a stream that habours snakes. These snakes doesnot bite and coil on people legs. That community is in Anambra. When we relocated back to my villa,i was shocked to see idols openly worshipped. A god even owns a normal house. No killing of python and green snakes. A cow sacrificed to the gods was roaming the streets,destroying people crops and attacking people. When i was in university, i saw masquerade flog married women,it an abomination in my place. I saw women masons,carrying blocks and cement for storey building in Awka. I visited a place still in Anambra state where all compounds have a shrine,i refused to get down from the car that day. Served in Brass and saw the following;there is nothing wrong with women taking alcoholic drinks,when kids fight adults sit and watch instead of separating, its relatively safe to move around at night even for ladies,during the rainy season crab and little fishes will be seen around the house, it can rain for seven days non stop,kids 6-10 can paddle boats,every pubic event people expect the govt to share money etc.

2 Likes

Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by Spiff20(m): 1:50pm On Aug 16, 2014
hugelyendowed: mynd44, obinoscopy, pls who are the moderators of this session? I think this is an interesting topic that needs front page, thanks.

at topic, I was shocked when someone told me that in a part of Rivers state , when a male visitor comes to c a family, that the host would give out his wife to the visitor as a form of welcoming him, he will ask the man(visitor) to sleep with his wife .
there is no where in rivers where such a thing happens it's in benue

I found that strange and shocking. someone can equally use this medium to correct this impression if its a hoax, somebody from that region should enlighten us some more pls.

OP, what happens if a stranger kills the snakes?[/quote]
Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by eduxerxes: 1:53pm On Aug 16, 2014
To whom it may Concern!

Please, what is PURDAH?

1 Like

Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by PAGAN9JA(m): 1:56pm On Aug 16, 2014
Amhappy: I was shocked the day a friend took me to a stream that habours snakes. These snakes doesnot bite and coil on people legs. That community is in Anambra. When we relocated back to my villa,i was shocked to see idols openly worshipped. A god even owns a normal house. No killing of python and green snakes. A cow sacrificed to the gods was roaming the streets,destroying people crops and attacking people. When i was in university, i saw masquerade flog married women,it an abomination in my place. I saw women masons,carrying blocks and cement for storey building in Awka. I visited a place still in Anambra state where all compounds have a shrine,i refused to get down from the car that day. Served in Brass and saw the following;there is nothing wrong with women taking alcoholic drinks,when kids fight adults sit and watch instead of separating, its relatively safe to move around at night even for ladies,during the rainy season crab and little fishes will be seen around the house, it can rain for seven days non stop,kids 6-10 can paddle boats,every pubic event people expect the govt to share money etc.

Please what is wrong with Idols (Gods) being worshiped openly?

This is our Birthland and our religions were here first.

Nigeria is a Secular Country that recognizes Traditional Religions of the land.

People with your kind of mentality are no different from wahabbi islamists or boko haram.

You people need to get a good flogging.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by PAGAN9JA(m): 1:59pm On Aug 16, 2014
matsilver: Mine was my first visit 2 abuja, dat was in d year 2014. I was insde d room truout d first day, d second day i decide 2 cum out n feel d beautiful city n d colourful street wit full of design flowers. As i opned d gate.behold, i saw an old woman in her late 70's, carring a heavy load on her back sholder instead of her head.. @ first i tought it's d load dat disbalance her, i rushd 2 helpd her, d next tin i hear was "haya haya"means, commot 4rm road. I was so shock..

Maybe the lady is Gwari (Gbagyi) . they carry dia load like that.
Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by MANGAM(m): 2:10pm On Aug 16, 2014
PAGAN9JA:

Maybe the lady is Gwari (Gbagyi) . they carry dia load like that.

1 Like

Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by NosaHenry(m): 2:31pm On Aug 16, 2014
Omexonomy: Their is this people from benue state who are having a very funny culture. A man who is a member of the family is alow to have s.ex with all other females being married into the family. To them a woman is being married into a family and not neccesary the property of the man only. A man can use his wife to entertain his visitors or brother.
According to edo culture at the death of a man all his property will be inherited by the first son no matter how wealthy the man might be.

That is pure lie. don't talk about culture you don't have full knowledge of please
Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by Kimmo(f): 2:36pm On Aug 16, 2014
tuffgongjo: you forget to add their "marrying like 100 women out the same day$most of them sef don born finish".

Lol. . You're absolutely right! I attended one wedding where there were fifteen sisters getting married. The first one already had a child who was writing WAEC at the time oh.

Beggars were so many in that town ehn, but what I liked most was the mosque, it's really beautiful.
Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by forgiveness: 2:49pm On Aug 16, 2014
1, On my way to Ghana, we had to pass through Benin Republic and the first thing that shock me was the well paved roads with road marks, many functional traffic lights and law abiding drivers. I couldn't believe my eyes that a small neighbouring country could be that organised. That was even small thing. Police man blowing whistle to stop a car while sitting whitout neading to shout, waiving his/her hand or attempting suicide by jumping infront of moving vehichle that which our police practices everyday 24/7 in a year. I wondered what would happen if a Nigerian drives on that road. Another was seeing many okadas with many women riders.
Then, I was amazed to hear some speak my native language fluently.

2, We took a taxi to Ghana national thearter at round 9pm to prepare for a program, on our waythe car stopped suddenly and we asked the driver why he stopped the car. Do you the reason he gave? Because of the traffic light. My God! I was shocked and nearly wanted to died because he stopped the car at the middle of the night with none vehicle on sight or police man just to obey traffic rules. Unlike here, it was a perfect condition to zoom off considering the men of the underworld.
Apart from that, you are not allowed to urinate or litter the roads else pay the fine or go to jail. This one also shocked me die because for here na normal routine. Na every time I just dey remind myself whenever my hand or nature wan misbehave say, no bi Naija you de. Sometime I go don throwa before runing to pick an up myself or zipping up back when nature call.

3, My first journey to South Korea gave me another shock of my life and that was when I saw Korea Air that took me to Korea from thai airport. The plane gave me the real impression about Korea because I thought Korea was a poor country ravished by war with many poor structures, but when I saw the big, clean and beautiful Air plane then I knew korea is a very rich country. Landing at the newly built airport I couldn't believe my eyes, I heard it's the second or best airport in the world. That na even small thing, they are so neat and rich and you can see that from their clean roads to subways to new cars, skyscrappers and eceteracetera. They don't wear shoe inside their houses except some public places. I was shocked at the rate of their development but I couldn't cope with one thing. You know now. Food! the first food I was served was rice without stew and spoon. I mean eating with chop stick without stew but many side dishes like kimshi, soup and others, I wan die that day. I said only for today tommorow go change. But the same rice and differrent side dishes was served for the period of almost two months I stayed there. Bros, I wan died, at first I was enjoying it but later longing to return to Nigeria. The day I departed was a very joyful day for me. Eba na eba, fufu na fufu and rice and stew na rice and stew.
Could you believe that after I came back I longed for the foods. Anyway, that was in 2001 but nowadays Hangul Foods are delicious to me.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by lagcity(m): 3:27pm On Aug 16, 2014
Ha enough culture shock. U no to see how small boys and girls dey french kiss and smooch in front of teachers and principal inside high school for yankee. d thing do me like film trick. grin boy on boy action, girl-on-girl action, wetin my eye no see.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Pictures Of Four Oduduwa Monuments In Different Cities / Some Common Misconceptions Nigerians Have About Other Nigerians. / Herbs And Spiritual ( Solutions To Life Issues) Youtube Spirituality Teaching

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.