Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,306 members, 7,836,331 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 05:17 AM

What Car Should A Young Man Get? - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / What Car Should A Young Man Get? (8897 Views)

I Have 1 Million Naira ,pls Advise Me On What Car To Buy / What Car Should I Get? (1.5M, 23 Year Old) / What Car Speed Can You Comfortably Maintain? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Car Should A Young Man Get? by Nobody: 11:54am On Aug 24, 2014
hmm
Re: What Car Should A Young Man Get? by Kingsteve(m): 12:35pm On Aug 24, 2014
TheBigUrban2:

Na armed robber go follow you
It's not a given...moreover; car thieves target easily disposal car brands, such as Toyota and Honda products.
Re: What Car Should A Young Man Get? by TheBigUrban2: 12:47pm On Aug 24, 2014
Kingsteve:
It's not a given...moreover; car thieves target easily disposal car brands, such as Toyota and Honda products.

Toyota camry is the most stolen car in Nigeria grin grin grin
Re: What Car Should A Young Man Get? by TheBigUrban2: 12:48pm On Aug 24, 2014
Eyop:
Let your friend buy any car of his or her choice. I don't need an advice to select what i want provided the money is there for the purchase and maintenance. But most especially your friend should make sure there's good investment in place before investing much on a liability.

Thats my positon but his parents wont let him be
Re: What Car Should A Young Man Get? by Kingsteve(m): 12:49pm On Aug 24, 2014
Eyop:
The Acura looks more flashy compared to the Highlander

Well, if a 24 year old Nigerian has got 3.5M to burn on a suv/crossover, why not get something flashy?
My point is...as a 24 year old, he shouldn't really be thinking about buying a papa's car-Highlander.
At his age, he should be looking at cars that will suit his profile as a young man- Honda, Toyota, Nissan products, which wouldn't cost as much as the 3.5M he intends to burn.

On the other hand, if his wish is to spend 3.5M on a ride, then he should go all out and get that ride that will really turn heads, Lexus, Infiniti, Acura, or even the LR3, but definitely not a highlander!
The aforementioned brands will suit him more.
He can do better... cool
Re: What Car Should A Young Man Get? by TheBigUrban2: 12:55pm On Aug 24, 2014
Kingsteve:

Well, if a 24 year old Nigerian has got 3.5M to burn on a suv/crossover, why not get something flashy?
My point is...as a 24 year old, he shouldn't really be thinking about buying a papa's car-Highlander.
At his age, he should be looking at cars that will suit his profile as a young man- Honda, Toyota, Nissan products, which wouldn't cost as much as the 3.5M he intends to burn.

On the other hand, if his wish is to spend 3.5M on a ride, then he should go all out and get that ride that will really turn heads, Lexus, Infiniti, Acura, or even the LR3, but definitely not a highlander!
He can do better... cool

Highlander is not ann old man's car naaa.....what will you say about prado and landcruiser?
Re: What Car Should A Young Man Get? by Eyop: 1:02pm On Aug 24, 2014
TheBigUrban2:

Toyota camry is the most stolen car in Nigeria grin grin grin
GBAM!!! True.
Re: What Car Should A Young Man Get? by Eyop: 1:03pm On Aug 24, 2014
TheBigUrban2:

Thats my positon but his parents wont let him be
Is he still living with the parents?
Re: What Car Should A Young Man Get? by Eyop: 1:04pm On Aug 24, 2014
Kingsteve:

He can do better... cool
Which model of Highlander are you referring to as papa's car? I don't see Highlander as papa's car ooo. Prado,Landcruiser,4runner are in the class of Papa's and not Highlander
Re: What Car Should A Young Man Get? by TheBigUrban2: 1:06pm On Aug 24, 2014
Eyop:
Is he still living with the parents?

Yes...unfortunately
Re: What Car Should A Young Man Get? by Nobody: 3:01pm On Aug 24, 2014
My take on this...

If you're still living with your parents at the age of 24, be prepared to abide by their rules. At the age of 21, I was living on my own, and responsible for my 13-year-old sister, as our parents were deceased. My first car was a 1983 Audi 80 1.6 GL Automatic, which I purchased for £70. I could have blown big bucks on an expensive set of wheels, but as far as I was concerned, my priorities meant it wasn't the right time.

When parents advise their children to buy a cheaper, lower-profile car, it's because they want the best for them. Unwanted attention is NOT always a good thing. I have no idea if this is this guy's first car. If it is, a N3.5M car is NOT ideal. I would advise something cheaper, at least for the first 2 years.

A guy who has N3.5M to burn should NOT be living at home with his parents. He should have a crib of his own, THEN he can park any car of his choice outside. A guy who would rather spend N3.5M on a car, without a crib to call his own has seriously misplaced priorities, and definitely needs a reality check.

Bottom line - you live with your parents, abide by their rules, or move out, and feel free to blow a small fortune on a set of wheels.

3 Likes

Re: What Car Should A Young Man Get? by Nobody: 3:04pm On Aug 24, 2014
TheBigUrban2:

Yes...unfortunately

You truly feel a 24-year-old man living with his parents, is unfortunate? Many others are struggling on their own, and with give anything to swap places for a week!

I would say this guy is privileged, not unfortunate.

1 Like

Re: What Car Should A Young Man Get? by TheBigUrban2: 3:11pm On Aug 24, 2014
Siena: My take on this...

If you're still living with your parents at the age of 24, be prepared to abide by their rules. At the age of 21, I was living on my own, and responsible for my 13-year-old sister, as our parents were deceased. My first car was a 1983 Audi 80 1.6 GL Automatic, which I purchased for £70. I could have blown big bucks on an expensive set of wheels, but as far as I was concerned, my priorities meant it wasn't the right time.

When parents advise their children to buy a cheaper, lower-profile car, it's because they want the best for them. Unwanted attention is NOT always a good thing. I have no idea if this is this guy's first car. If it is, a N3.5M car is NOT ideal. I would advise something cheaper, at least for the first 2 years.

A guy who has N3.5M to burn should NOT be living at home with his parents. He should have a crib of his own, THEN he can park any car of his choice outside. A guy who would rather spend N3.5M on a car, without a crib to call his own has seriously misplaced priorities, and definitely needs a reality check.

Bottom line - you live with your parents, abide by their rules, or move out, and feel free to blow a small fortune on a set of wheels.

Bros, I hail ooo.

You made very nice points. So how much do you feel the young man should spend on the car?
Re: What Car Should A Young Man Get? by TheBigUrban2: 3:11pm On Aug 24, 2014
Siena:

You truly feel a 24-year-old man living with his parents, is unfortunate? Many others are struggling on their own, and with give anything to swap places for a week!

I would say this guy is privileged, not unfortunate.

I said it was unfortunate for a different reason-

If he were his own man, he would have been able to make the decision with no restrains
Re: What Car Should A Young Man Get? by Nobody: 3:19pm On Aug 24, 2014
TheBigUrban2: Bros, I hail ooo.

You made very nice points. So how much do you feel the young man should spend on the car?

I can't advise any guy how much he should spend on a car - what I do know for sure, having his own place to live should come first. A car is a liability, not an asset.
Re: What Car Should A Young Man Get? by Nobody: 3:29pm On Aug 24, 2014
TheBigUrban2: I said it was unfortunate for a different reason-

If he were his own man, he would have been able to make the decision with no restrains

Abiding by his parents rules - parents that he still lives with, does not make him less of a man. Taking responsibility for his own welfare, and getting a roof over his head on the other hand makes him MORE of a man than he already is.

Function over Form. A very important lesson to learn.
Re: What Car Should A Young Man Get? by Kingsteve(m): 4:19pm On Aug 24, 2014
TheBigUrban2:

Highlander is not an old man's car naaa.....what will you say about prado and landcruiser?

Prado, Landcruiser, and 4 runner are politicians' cars.
Highlander is a vehicle for a certain age group, or status.
Highlander suits Family men, and older guys (not necessarily papa's though)
Re: What Car Should A Young Man Get? by TheBigUrban2: 4:25pm On Aug 24, 2014
Kingsteve:

Prado, Landcruiser, and 4 runner are politicians' cars.
Highlander is a vehicle for a certain age group, or status.
Highlander suits Family men, and older guys (not necessarily papa's though)

You are funny.

Prado and landcruiser for politicians? Are you saying that it is only for those who steal money? Thief car? grin grin grin
Re: What Car Should A Young Man Get? by TheBigUrban2: 4:26pm On Aug 24, 2014
Siena:

I can't advise any guy how much he should spend on a car - what I do know for sure, having his own place to live should come first. A car is a liability, not an asset.

It is an asset if it helps in your day to day business greatly.

He works with influential people...he wants to show himself too naa
Re: What Car Should A Young Man Get? by Fulaman198(m): 4:35pm On Aug 24, 2014
TheBigUrban2:

You sound like one of those wise but annoying old parents.

"son, buy a small car you can manage...dont act like you are a playboy"

This made me laugh so much

1 Like

Re: What Car Should A Young Man Get? by shoppyanno(m): 4:37pm On Aug 24, 2014
Life is about time, season & stages.
In my opinion, a 2008 Highlander will draw unnecessary attention for a man his age(24yrs) due to the kinda society we find ourselves.
In this present world we are MODESTY should be employed in all we do in order to avoid being victims of evil people.
If a 24yr old uses a 2009 highlander now, when he is 30yrs what will he use? At 40 nko?
Let him thread softly as he still has a long way to go in life

1 Like

Re: What Car Should A Young Man Get? by Kingsteve(m): 4:39pm On Aug 24, 2014
TheBigUrban2:

You are funny.

Prado and landcruiser for politicians? Are you saying that it is only for those who steal money? Thief car? grin grin grin

Exactly...I hardly see those cars without a government number plate.
Re: What Car Should A Young Man Get? by Eyop: 4:44pm On Aug 24, 2014
Kingsteve:

Exactly...I hardly see those cars without a government number plate.
Many private people(Not politicians)are driving Prado's and Landcruisers with private plate number. It all depends on what an individual wants. Some people don't like bogus SUV's but the one unique in shape e.g the Lexus RX350
Re: What Car Should A Young Man Get? by TheBigUrban2: 4:46pm On Aug 24, 2014
shoppyanno: Life is about time, season & stages.
In my opinion, a 2008 Highlander will draw unnecessary attention for a man his age(24yrs) due to the kinda society we find ourselves.
In this present world we are MODESTY should be employed in all we do in order to avoid being victims of evil people.
If a 24yr old uses a 2009 highlander now, when he is 30yrs what will he use? At 40 nko?
Let him thread softly as he still has a long way to go in life

Highlander to landcruiser to range rover.

cool

1 Like

Re: What Car Should A Young Man Get? by Nobody: 4:47pm On Aug 24, 2014
TheBigUrban2: It is an asset if it helps in your day to day business greatly.

He works with influential people...he wants to show himself too naa

Regardless of how you view it, no automobile is an asset. It's a liability. It may be viewed as an asset in Nigeria, where people are judged by the cars they drive, but they aren't really.

In the West, no one judges you by the car you drive. No one really cares. There are millionaires who don't actually own the cars they drive. They lease them as required. Some own cars, but so modest, you wouldn't have the faintest idea of their net worth. And this is in countries where there's more sanity.

Nigeria where anything could happen, at any time, is a country where modesty should be practiced more. Cars are simply purchased MOSTLY to show off.

5 Likes

Re: What Car Should A Young Man Get? by TheBigUrban2: 4:51pm On Aug 24, 2014
Siena:

Regardless of how you view it, no automobile is an asset. It's a liability. It may be viewed as an asset in Nigeria, where people are judged by the cars they drive, but they aren't really.

In the West, no one judges you by the car you drive. No one really cares. There are millionaires who don't actually own the cars they drive. They lease them as required. Some own cars, but so modest, you wouldn't have the faintest idea of their net worth. And this is in countries where there's more sanity.

Nigeria where anything could happen, at any time, is a country where modesty should be practiced more. Cars are simply purchased MOSTLY to show off.

Are you based abroad? (UK Europe or USA)

Hmmm.....it seems that you are right
Re: What Car Should A Young Man Get? by Fulaman198(m): 4:59pm On Aug 24, 2014
TheBigUrban2:

Highlander to landcruiser to range rover.

cool

At 30 I'm driving a Camry lolll I think I will step it up to an Audi though in 3 years.
Re: What Car Should A Young Man Get? by TheBigUrban2: 5:01pm On Aug 24, 2014
Fulaman198:

At 30 I'm driving a Camry lolll I think I will step it up to an Audi though in 3 years.

Na lie.

You are just saving money Spend that money jooo.

A whole tribal chief like yourself? Dont let me report you to pagan9ja
Re: What Car Should A Young Man Get? by Fulaman198(m): 5:05pm On Aug 24, 2014
TheBigUrban2:

Na lie.

You are just saving money Spend that money jooo.

A whole tribal chief like yourself? Dont let me report you to pagan9ja

LOLLLLL it's important to save for a rainy day and buy when you actually need a car.

2 Likes

Re: What Car Should A Young Man Get? by Nobody: 7:40pm On Aug 24, 2014
Abeg.. As am 20 now, and have 100 Mn worth assets both fixed and not, i wn't be able to buy a 3.5 Mn Car for myself, when i know i can get a 30 Mn Range.
Are you guys really sure of what you are saying, each day i see young guys that drive Venza so WTF
Re: What Car Should A Young Man Get? by TheBigUrban2: 7:45pm On Aug 24, 2014
Bossforeva: Abeg.. As am 20 now, and have 100 Mn worth assets both fixed and not, i wn't be able to buy a 3.5 Mn Car for myself, when i know i can get a 30 Mn Range.
Are you guys really sure of what you are saying, each day i see young guys that drive Venza so WTF

Big boy!!! grin grin

So which car do you drive?

Are you saying that he should go for the highlander?
Re: What Car Should A Young Man Get? by Eyop: 7:46pm On Aug 24, 2014
Bossforeva: Abeg.. As am 20 now, and have 100 Mn worth assets both fixed and not, i wn't be able to buy a 3.5 Mn Car for myself, when i know i can get a 30 Mn Range.
I didn't really understand your post but was able to pick one or two points there. At 20 you wish to drive a 30 million Range Rover because you have 100 million in assets? Because others are doing so does not mean you should also do same. There are question you need to ask yourself before taking such action. Though you won't understand my point now but later in life you'll do. So you feel with 100 million,the person has arrived?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Opel Omega 2.0 Review / Pimping My 2007 Camry SE! / Got Smoked By A 2007 Camry V6

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.