Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,467 members, 7,836,850 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 01:34 PM

What Car Should A Young Man Get? - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / What Car Should A Young Man Get? (8898 Views)

I Have 1 Million Naira ,pls Advise Me On What Car To Buy / What Car Should I Get? (1.5M, 23 Year Old) / What Car Speed Can You Comfortably Maintain? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Car Should A Young Man Get? by TheBigUrban2: 7:48pm On Aug 24, 2014
Eyop:
I didn't really understand your post but was able to pick one or two points there. At 20 you wish to drive a 30 million Range Rover because you have 100 million in assets? Because others are doing so does not mean you should also do same. There are question you need to ask yourself before taking such action. Though you won't understand my point now but later in life you'll do. So you feel with 100 million,the person has arrived?

100 million na big money oooo cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: What Car Should A Young Man Get? by Eyop: 7:50pm On Aug 24, 2014
TheBigUrban2:

100 million na big money oooo cheesy cheesy cheesy
Agreed,but a businessman sees that money as "small money oooo" because it can be recycled to double the amount.
Re: What Car Should A Young Man Get? by Nobody: 7:59pm On Aug 24, 2014
Eyop:
Agreed,but a businessman sees that money as "small money oooo" because it can be recycled to double the amount.

Spot on! I like your way of thinking.

1 Like

Re: What Car Should A Young Man Get? by Nobody: 8:27pm On Aug 24, 2014
Eyop:
I didn't really understand your post but was able to pick one or two points there. At 20 you wish to drive a 30 million Range Rover because you have 100 million in assets? Because others are doing so does not mean you should also do same. There are question you need to ask yourself before taking such action. Though you won't understand my point now but later in life you'll do. So you feel with 100 million,the person has arrived?
pls i'll like to know the questions that i should i ask myself.. Anyway, what am trying to say in my post, is it also a wise decision dissing a 30M range for a 3.5M highlander
Re: What Car Should A Young Man Get? by Eyop: 8:43pm On Aug 24, 2014
Bossforeva: pls i'll like to know the questions that i should i ask myself.. Anyway, what am trying to say in my post, is it also a wise decision dissing a 30M range for a 3.5M highlander
Individual opinion differs...

There's a guy i met some years ago and we got so close later that same year but i never knew at that time he had such an amount of money(over a #100m) in his account and was driving volkswagen Golf 3 though a business man. But judging by the comments on this post if some were to be that guy,they should have bought a ranger rover or G wagon.

Some of the questions you should ask yourself are:
(1) What do i need this car for?
(2) Economical wise does it make sense to invest such an amount of money in this car?
(3) What value do i stand to get after i purchase this ride...etc

A young guy in his early 20's so fortunate to be a millionaire should be wise to make good decision and not to be wasteful with the resources he's fortunate to get. Imagine he or she starts investing smartly,do you know how much he would be making in future? Don't get me wrong,i am not saying is bad to buy a vehicle of #10million but you should have reasons for such before taking that decision & also consider how much investment you have to put #10million in a liability because after the vehicle leaves the dealership,depreciation starts immediately.

3 Likes

Re: What Car Should A Young Man Get? by Nobody: 9:45pm On Aug 24, 2014
TheBigUrban2:

Thats my positon but his parents wont let him be

If I work had for my money, I have a comfortable apartment and one landed property (even if na land for Epe or Ikorodu) I think I have the right to buy any car without my parents permission (FYI I'm on my 2nd car and I didn't tell my parents before buying the first even when I bought the 2nd just sent him pics in whatsapp when I registered it).

It's is not their money its mine, as far as I can maintain the said car my Dad knowing my achievement would know I'm man enough and would poor schnapps on the floor for me.

Obviously your friends hasn't grown enough pubic hair. When he does that he would drive to his parents house honking the horn while the Dad runs hugs him the mom dances round the car while adjusting her wrapper like we see in Nollywood. That's a man not a boy!

1 Like

Re: What Car Should A Young Man Get? by Nobody: 9:47pm On Aug 24, 2014
TheBigUrban2:

Highlander is not ann old man's car naaa.....what will you say about prado and landcruiser?

Do you live in Lagos? Highlander is an old mans car. You don't see young boys in them except they are driving their parents.

Young boys do Venza, crosstour, Lexus Rx some even have the balls to the 08 to 2012 class.
Re: What Car Should A Young Man Get? by TheBigUrban2: 9:54pm On Aug 24, 2014
cne010:

Do you live in Lagos? Highlander is an old mans car. You don't see young boys in them except they are driving their parents.

Young boys do Venza, crosstour, Lexus Rx some even have the balls to the 08 to 2012 class.

Highlander is the male version of rav 4. Some young boys drive it.

Personnally, I hate Venza- a car trying to be a jeep grin grin
Re: What Car Should A Young Man Get? by TheBigUrban2: 9:57pm On Aug 24, 2014
Eyop:
Individual opinion differs...

There's a guy i met some years ago and we got so close later that same year but i never knew at that time he had such an amount of money(over a #100m) in his account and was driving volkswagen Golf 3 though a business man. But judging by the comments on this post if some were to be that guy,they should have bought a ranger rover or G wagon.

Some of the questions you should ask yourself are:
(1) What do i need this car for?
(2) Economical wise does it make sense to invest such an amount of money in this car?
(3) What value do i stand to get after i purchase this ride...etc

A young guy in his early 20's so fortunate to be a millionaire should be wise to make good decision and not to be wasteful with the resources he's fortunate to get. Imagine he or she starts investing smartly,do you know how much he would be making in future? Don't get me wrong,i am not saying is bad to buy a vehicle of #10million but you should have reasons for such before taking that decision & also consider how much investment you have to put #10million in a liability because after the vehicle leaves the dealership,depreciation starts immediately.

That is a well qualified opinion.

Honestly, it is tempting to buy a car for 3 million plus.....I mean, just look at all those young island (lekki ikoyi etc) boys just cruising about. I know a guy who is 26 and cruises an 07 range rover.
Re: What Car Should A Young Man Get? by Eyop: 10:04pm On Aug 24, 2014
TheBigUrban2:

That is a well qualified opinion.

Honestly, it is tempting to buy a car for 3 million plus.....I mean, just look at all those young island (lekki ikoyi etc) boys just cruising about. I know a guy who is 26 and cruises an 07 range rover.

Forget about what others are doing and face yours though i understand the intimidation but it shouldn't bother you because the future is what you are looking at and not the present. There are some of them driving a #7million SUV but don't have #5million either in Cash or Investment. There's nothing bad in buying a #3million car but before doing so,you should ensure that you have invested in so many investment opportunities and you have a very solid financial base with good ROI and not a shaky one.

Some of those guys you mentioned don't even have need for such cars but they just buy that for intimidation or to oppress people so is that not foolishness?

1 Like

Re: What Car Should A Young Man Get? by Nobody: 10:08pm On Aug 24, 2014
TheBigUrban2:

Highlander is the male version of rav 4. Some young boys drive it.

Personnally, I hate Venza- a car trying to be a jeep grin grin

Venza, Crosstour, Acura ZDX, BMW x6 are not cars trying to be SUV they are in the own league get with the program.
Re: What Car Should A Young Man Get? by TheBigUrban2: 10:21pm On Aug 24, 2014
Eyop:

Forget about what others are doing and face yours though i understand the intimidation but it shouldn't bother you because the future is what you are looking at and not the present. There are some of them driving a #7million SUV but don't have #5million either in Cash or Investment. There's nothing bad in buying a #3million car but before doing so,you should ensure that you have invested in so many investment opportunities and you have a very solid financial base with good ROI and not a shaky one.

Some of those guys you mentioned don't even have need for such cars but they just buy that for intimidation or to oppress people so is that not foolishness?

It is foolishness of course. But peer pressure is very effective.
Re: What Car Should A Young Man Get? by TheBigUrban2: 10:22pm On Aug 24, 2014
cne010:

Venza, Crosstour, Acura ZDX, BMW x6 are not cars trying to be SUV they are in the own league get with the program.

Acura MDX. cool
Re: What Car Should A Young Man Get? by Eyop: 10:24pm On Aug 24, 2014
TheBigUrban2:

It is foolishness of course. But peer pressure is very effective.
Then such individual should disassociate his or herself from such peer group that will influence his or her actions negatively.
Re: What Car Should A Young Man Get? by Nobody: 10:30pm On Aug 24, 2014
TheBigUrban2:

Acura MDX. cool

MDX is an SUV.
Re: What Car Should A Young Man Get? by Nobody: 10:36pm On Aug 24, 2014
@Eyop People buy car for different reasons depending on kind if business they do. There is a reasonable amount you can spend. The guy with over a 100million and drives a Golf3 is my hero.

I remember my Dads friend that bought a 2004 Accord to present himself very well in front of prospective clients to get contracts and it works well for him than his 190 Benz. I ran into him and he drives a GL 450 now guess business has been good. Personally I would do a multimillion naira deal with a guy in a Golf 3.

My friend has a big poultry farm and he drives a recent Ford Pickup. He could have settled for a Peugeot 404 pickup but he targets high end clientele like eateries and big hotels.
Re: What Car Should A Young Man Get? by Eyop: 10:46pm On Aug 24, 2014
cne010: @Eyop People buy car for different reasons depending on kind if business they do. There is a reasonable amount you can spend. The guy with over a 100million and drives a Golf3 is my hero.

I remember my Dads friend that bought a 2004 Accord to present himself very well in front of prospective clients to get contracts and it works well for him than his 190 Benz. I ran into him and he drives a GL 450 now guess business has been good. Personally I would do a multimillion naira deal with a guy in a Golf 3.

My friend has a big poultry farm and he drives a recent Ford Pickup. He could have settled for a Peugeot 404 pickup but he targets high end clientele like eateries and big hotels.

@Cne010,

We are still saying the same thing with different analysis/interpretations. I completely understood your points and like i said previously if need be and the person has a strong financial base,then he or she can go for it. Individual opinion differs: Some people buy cars on loans(you find this mostly with corporate workers) but very few business men or women does that. Business cars as a representation in business is not an issue but if the means is not really there,such an individual is better off renting the car for that purpose and save himself the stress to acquire his or her own personally.

You also mentioned you wouldn't do a multi-million naira deal with a guy that drives a Golf 3. cheesy but you would have asked what type of business does he do? He's an importer/trader so because he doesn't drive a classical vehicle,you wouldn't patronise his business?

Your friend that has a big poultry farm: Buying the ford is 100% right because that's a commercial vehicle which will serve the purpose of which he bought it for so is not as if he bought that for oppressing people. The ford is indirectly bringing in money by assisting his business.
Re: What Car Should A Young Man Get? by Nobody: 7:48am On Aug 25, 2014
Well.. No post here stops my plan of getting a 2008 Highlander Sports and Modifying it... R24 Rims.. Angel Eye Lamps and what have you.... Afterall a 20 year old should be man enough.. All of my mates are still in school waiting to grad and get a job, but i started my Biz at 19.. I gotta enjoy it with my Family cox i know the Family i came from... We not good financially.. What happens when a son brings about a change #MoneyInMedia
Re: What Car Should A Young Man Get? by Nobody: 11:29am On Sep 21, 2014
poik: I agree. The '09 Highlander is too big for. A twenty-four year old, coming from a bent of modesty and economics. Though I don't know his financial capability.

A man's ride speaks volumes about him. Be sure to make the right statement
which do you drive currently sir, seeing that you are also young?
Re: What Car Should A Young Man Get? by Nobody: 11:34am On Sep 21, 2014
Siena: My take on this...

If you're still living with your parents at the age of 24, be prepared to abide by their rules. At the age of 21, I was living on my own, and responsible for my 13-year-old sister, as our parents were deceased. My first car was a 1983 Audi 80 1.6 GL Automatic, which I purchased for £70. I could have blown big bucks on an expensive set of wheels, but as far as I was concerned, my priorities meant it wasn't the right time.

When parents advise their children to buy a cheaper, lower-profile car, it's because they want the best for them. Unwanted attention is NOT always a good thing. I have no idea if this is this guy's first car. If it is, a N3.5M car is NOT ideal. I would advise something cheaper, at least for the first 2 years.

A guy who has N3.5M to burn should NOT be living at home with his parents. He should have a crib of his own, THEN he can park any car of his choice outside. A guy who would rather spend N3.5M on a car, without a crib to call his own has seriously misplaced priorities, and definitely needs a reality check.

Bottom line - you live with your parents, abide by their rules, or move out, and feel free to blow a small fortune on a set of wheels.
i thought of Davido when you said this.
Persoanally, am a student, Internet Entrepreneur (Social Media), few years younger than the guy, and also thinking of buying a car valued at that cox tis American, spacious and will help me in my running my Biz as i intend to connect Nigeria Tertiary Institutions while promoting my brand..
The Car on my mind is an 08 Ford Explorer Limited.
Whats your thought on that?
Re: What Car Should A Young Man Get? by Nobody: 12:24pm On Sep 21, 2014
TheBigUrban2: If someone has wizkid's stature, does that mean he can not buy a jeep, even if he has the money?

Stature? That has to do with body build. What does body size have to do with the sort of automobile one buys? I guess you mean "status".

And just so you know, Wizkid is an established entertainer, and does NOT live with his parents, or depend on them. So your "friend" is NOT directly comparable.
Re: What Car Should A Young Man Get? by Eyop: 12:30pm On Sep 21, 2014
Siena:

Stature? That has to do with body build. What does body size have to do with the sort of automobile one buys? I guess you mean "status".

And just so you know, Wizkid is an established entertainer, and does NOT live with his parents, or depend on them. So your "friend" is NOT directly comparable.
@ Siena,I guess what he meant was body size like you rightly mentioned. His explanation was someone that's short/smallish as Wizkid won't fit in well in an SUV like Nissan Amanda compared to a CRV because the Amanda looks bigger than him.
Re: What Car Should A Young Man Get? by mdenigma(m): 2:10pm On Sep 21, 2014
I also faced the same dilemma when I was ready for a car. Here's how I arrived @ a decision.
I didn't want a 'common' brand such as the camry and accord.
I also didn't want unecessary attention from relatives and colleagues who would think you've hit the jackpot cos u drive a benz or a 'jeep'
Maintenance and reliability is also key
I also needed decent power (so a 4 cylinder was out of d mix)
I went online 2 narrow my options
Finally I visited the dealer for a test drive
I settled for a 2008 lexus es350
I'm very pleased with my choice
Luxury,power,class, reliablity and distinction.
I'll recommend the 2010 edition where some exterior and interior upgrades were made
Cheers

1 Like

Re: What Car Should A Young Man Get? by Eyop: 2:20pm On Sep 21, 2014
mdenigma: I also faced the same dilemma when I was ready for a car. Here's how I arrived @ a decision.
I didn't want a 'common' brand such as the camry and accord.
I also didn't want unecessary attention from relatives and colleagues who would think you've hit the jackpot cos u drive a benz or a 'jeep'
Maintenance and reliability is also key
I also needed decent power (so a 4 cylinder was out of d mix)
I went online 2 narrow my options
Finally I visited the dealer for a test drive
I settled for a 2008 lexus es350
I'm very pleased with my choice
Luxury,power,class, reliablity and distinction.
I'll recommend the 2010 edition where some exterior and interior upgrades were made
Cheers

Lol...so people still carry such mentality that driving a Benz means one has hit jackpot? Well,even your 2008 Lexus es350 is another jackpot hitter for those that really knows the worth of that Machine. grin
Re: What Car Should A Young Man Get? by Eyop: 2:27pm On Sep 21, 2014
Lexus es350 cheesy

Re: What Car Should A Young Man Get? by mdenigma(m): 6:15pm On Sep 21, 2014
Isn't she lovely?
Re: What Car Should A Young Man Get? by Eyop: 7:17pm On Sep 21, 2014
mdenigma: Isn't she lovely?
Very lovely my brother but am a fan of Mercedes Benz anyday anytime though i appreciate Lexus a lot.

1 Like

Re: What Car Should A Young Man Get? by Fulaman198(m): 7:22pm On Sep 21, 2014
Eyop: Lexus es350 cheesy

Grandpa status
Re: What Car Should A Young Man Get? by Fulaman198(m): 7:23pm On Sep 21, 2014
Eyop:
Very lovely my brother but am a fan of Mercedes Benz anyday anytime though i appreciate Lexus a lot.

I like Mercedes design more, but Audi is really growing on me. With that said, As a man of 30 years old, I personally would go after either a 2015 Mercedes C Class or a 2015 Audi A4/S4.
Re: What Car Should A Young Man Get? by Eyop: 7:28pm On Sep 21, 2014
Fulaman198:

I like Mercedes design more, but Audi is really growing on me. With that said, As a man of 30 years old, I personally would go after either a 2015 Mercedes C Class or a 2015 Audi A4/S4.

Audi is cool but is all about choice anyway. I love Sedan more than SUV if not,the 2014/2015 ML350 should be the preferred choice. But I will make do with the W204 Mercedes C class 2012 and above wink

1 Like

Re: What Car Should A Young Man Get? by Fulaman198(m): 7:29pm On Sep 21, 2014
Eyop:

Audi is cool but is all about choice anyway. I love Sedan more than SUV if not,the 2014/2015 ML350 should be the preferred choice. But I will make do with the W204 Mercedes C class 2012 and above wink

Yeah I love Sedans more too. When I start making an even bigger salary, I will buy a new 2015 C Class or 2015 Audi from UAE and have it shipped to Abuja (hopefully). That's my dream. In any case, my next car will be bought brand new. I don't know when it will be.

1 Like

Re: What Car Should A Young Man Get? by Eyop: 7:44pm On Sep 21, 2014
Fulaman198:

Yeah I love Sedans more too. When I start making an even bigger salary, I will buy a new 2015 C Class or 2015 Audi from UAE and have it shipped to Abuja (hopefully). That's my dream. In any case, my next car will be bought brand new. I don't know when it will be.

It's also my desire to drive a brand new(2014/2015) C class but it's very pricey but though buying either in Germany or USA will be ok but Clearing here in Nigeria isn't gonna be child's play. Even a certified(mileage less than 15,000) 2012 Mercedes C class should land here for about 7.5million not to talk of a brand new one.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Opel Omega 2.0 Review / Pimping My 2007 Camry SE! / Got Smoked By A 2007 Camry V6

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.