Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,925 members, 7,814,114 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 07:03 AM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 - Travel (271) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 (866718 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (268) (269) (270) (271) (272) (273) (274) ... (502) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by biikeys(m): 7:37am On Jan 06, 2015
slimmy05:
I also need a better insurance scheme. My school charges 1600usd for insurance. Well if it's good at that price then no problem. Imperiouxx, you're the insurance scheme expert.

Make sure whatever insurance policy you're signing up meets up with your school requirements for a waiver. Many schools have been more stringent with that with the introduction of the Affordable Care Act. You might not be able to get a full refund if after signing up for something, you find out it doesn't comply.

I don't know the requirements of your school, but check out www.isoa.org...a popular alternative
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Nobody: 8:10am On Jan 06, 2015
biikeys:

Make sure whatever insurance policy you're signing up meets up with your school requirements for a waiver. Many schools have been more stringent with that with the introduction of the Affordable Care Act. You might not be able to get a full refund if after signing up for something, you find out it doesn't comply.

I don't know the requirements of your school, but check out www.isoa.org...a popular alternative
thanks for the heads up. Well I dont intend going for another one though. I just wanted an idea just incase. But if the insurance mandatory? What if I don't want the health insurance?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Nobody: 8:15am On Jan 06, 2015
bigfrancis21:

That's very true. Health insurance plan for graduate students isn't compulsory. If you're not used to falling sick easily in Nigeria except to malaria and typhoid - sicknesses which can be prevented, you'll be fine here as there are no malaria-carrying mosquitoes here and the food + water are clean to prevent you from having typhoid. The equivalent of malaria here is the cold/flu which is easily treatable by flu medications at the pharmacy. I strongly recommend that you treat yourself for latent malaria and typhoid before you leave Nigeria. Take artesunate (for malaria) + amoxil/ampicilin tablets (for typhoid) to treat yourself for latent sicknesses that could surface much later after you've arrived here, which would be quite bad, especially for malaria as there are no malaria drugs here. I treated myself for latent malaria + typhoid about a week before I left Nigeria.

In addition, take the necessary shots as required by your school. The shots will help build your defenses to protect you from those diseases here.
I don't only intend taking it. I also want to bring some drugs like ciprotab, lonart, strepsil and others basic drugs. I hope it won't be an issue at the POE? These are the drugs for basic Nigerian illness.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Nobody: 8:27am On Jan 06, 2015
Amerinancy:
same to you hun.

Thanks smiley

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Amerinancy(f): 8:42am On Jan 06, 2015
foohard:

Where in Chicago are you Amerinancy? I am in far north - Rogers Park.
I'm in the south but I'm currently in california with my boyfriend spending vacation but i will be back on saturday honie wink
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Nobody: 11:01am On Jan 06, 2015
Hello guys, I am trying to log into my WES account, but the response is shown below:

Has anyone experienced this before?

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Nobody: 11:18am On Jan 06, 2015
sirRiddy:
Hello guys, I am trying to log into my WES account, but the response is shown below:

Has anyone experienced this before?
but it is boldly spelt out that the site is under maintenance. Every website undergoes maintenance of some sort or don't you think so. Relax you hear
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Nobody: 11:19am On Jan 06, 2015
Amerinancy:
I'm in the south but I'm currently in california with my boyfriend spending vacation but i will be back on saturday honie wink
Then we should put up a tent for you guys with bridal shower for you?

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Nobody: 11:50am On Jan 06, 2015
That is serious o. Thank you, sir.
slimmy05:
but it is boldly spelt out that the site is under maintenance. Every website undergoes maintenance of some sort or don't you think so. Relax you hear
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Nobody: 11:58am On Jan 06, 2015
sirRiddy:
That is serious o. Thank you, sir.
cheesy don't worry, the site is not bairaland that would take weeks. It's due to the time difference it ought to be fixed at night when there are less people using the site
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Nobody: 12:16pm On Jan 06, 2015
Thanks slimmy.
Please, is WES canada different from the ICAP?
I no even understand the whole thing? And one ole dey withdraw money from my gtbank, making me scared of paying into the account.
I just tire joor.
slimmy05:
cheesy don't worry, the site is not bairaland that would take weeks. It's due to the time difference it ought to be fixed at night when there are less people using the site
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Nobody: 12:45pm On Jan 06, 2015
sirRiddy:
Thanks slimmy.
Please, is WES canada different from the ICAP?
I no even understand the whole thing? And one ole dey withdraw money from my gtbank, making me scared of paying into the account.
I just tire joor.
Here is about I-cap:http://www.wes.org/educators/icap.asp
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by landuseact: 1:41pm On Jan 06, 2015
Landed Ohare airport on jan 3rd after a connecting flight from atlanta. Thanks to delta airlines didnt get my luggahe until the next day. I was asked only two questions at the P.O.E.

Orientation at my school, NIU started yesterday, met a lit of indians taking my course (MIS). Going to meet my academic adviser today then would go to health services later. Still trying to get accomodation close to campus because right now i am squatting with a lovely nigerian that stays in the same area. By the way health insurance costs 744 dollars here and a tuberculosis immunisatn fee of 60dollars unless you have your yellow card.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by landuseact: 1:42pm On Jan 06, 2015
Oops sorry double post
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by zeezahbee(f): 2:44pm On Jan 06, 2015
landuseact:
Landed Ohare airport on jan 3rd after a connecting flight from atlanta. Thanks to delta airlines didnt get my luggahe until the next day. I was asked only two questions at the P.O.E.

Orientation at my school, NIU started yesterday, met a lit of indians taking my course (MIS). Going to meet my academic adviser today then would go to health services later. Still trying to get accomodation close to campus because right now i am squatting with a lovely nigerian that stays in the same area. By the way health insurance costs 744 dollars here and a tuberculosis immunisatn fee of 60dollars unless you have your yellow card.
$744 , that's way too much. Is that insurance from your school fee or a private insurance. Plus is it for a year or just spring semester
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by zeezahbee(f): 2:49pm On Jan 06, 2015
slimmy05:
thanks for the heads up. Well I dont intend going for another one though. I just wanted an idea just incase. But if the insurance mandatory? What if I don't want the health insurance?
It's mandatory in most schools, in short my school had added it to my tuition cry. $568 for spring+summer. Am looking for a way to get out of that insurance, I didn't even use the one I paid for in fall undecided .
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by zeezahbee(f): 2:49pm On Jan 06, 2015
Amerinancy:
Contunu cheesy
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by zeezahbee(f): 2:53pm On Jan 06, 2015
Do you have any idea how long it take for a permanent residence to file for a student. I mean through marriage. I learned it takes long for the I-130 and I-485 get through. Someone told me he needs to wait to be a citizen so it can be faster
foohard:
It is nice to know you are willing to help yourself. LYING DOESNT HELP

My response then was too abstract.. Let me be specific about my situation so you will know you are kind of better off.

When I applied for student VISA, my interview date was 30th of June, 2013. My wife already filed i-130 for me since April and I knew quite well that it is against the law to issue a non-immigrant visa to someone with a pending immigrant petition. I filled my DS-160 truthfully, and I went for the interview.

Luckily for me, the visa officer did not even ask about my wife at all and my VISA was granted (See my interview transcript). You are in a better position cos you don't have a pending petition. That said, you should know you don't have any reason to lie. I understand why you should be concerned cos I felt worse then but everything will be fine.

I know another girl that her mum is a citizen and she also got a student VISA. Though, she had strong home ties (Husband and 2 kids). Regardless, I know saying the truth will be helpful if not for your student visa.. it wont hurt your i-130 in the future.

Note: i-130 does not take 3 years, mine took only 5 months while some even get approved earlier than that.

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by laboldkid(m): 3:15pm On Jan 06, 2015
zeezahbee:
Contunu cheesy
I sent you a pm.. Pls reply.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by zeezahbee(f): 3:22pm On Jan 06, 2015
laboldkid:
I sent you a pm.. Pls reply.
Seen and replied
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Nobody: 3:29pm On Jan 06, 2015
zeezahbee:
It's mandatory in most schools, in short my school had added it to my tuition cry. $568 for spring+summer. Am looking for a way to get out of that insurance, I didn't even use the one I paid for in fall undecided .
mine is whooping 1600usd. That's crazy Abeg. Which kind thing be that one and they asterisked it meaning it's mandatory. Nonsense, even my company HMO here I've not used it.

They just want to enjoy my free 1600usd.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Nobody: 3:31pm On Jan 06, 2015
zeezahbee:
Do you have any idea how long it take for a permanent residence to file for a student. I mean through marriage. I learned it takes long for the I-130 and I-485 get through. Someone told me he needs to wait to be a citizen so it can be faster
Naija girls, so you don value that bobo now wey him Don get permanent residence abi
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by zeezahbee(f): 3:31pm On Jan 06, 2015
slimmy05:
mine is whooping 1600usd. That's crazy Abeg. Which kind thing be that one and they asterisked it meaning it's mandatory. Nonsense, even my company HMO here I've not used it.

They just want to enjoy my free 1600usd.
I want to use isoa.org this spring and it's just $35 per month . Verify from your school f they allow you to get insurance outside

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by zeezahbee(f): 3:33pm On Jan 06, 2015
slimmy05:
Naija girls, so you don value that bobo now wey him Don get permanent residence abi
shocked haba, am asking on behalf of a friend jawe lol. You are amebo grin
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Nobody: 3:33pm On Jan 06, 2015
landuseact:

Good to hear you arrived safely. Which airline you used.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Nobody: 3:34pm On Jan 06, 2015
zeezahbee:
shocked haba, am asking on behalf of a friend jawe lol. You are amebo grin
forget that thing, na so MsNas sef take dodge one guy question about her own akata? My uncle just dey yarn akata since, I am not calling that dude again.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by laboldkid(m): 4:00pm On Jan 06, 2015
zeezahbee:
Seen and replied
Ty
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Walspring: 4:03pm On Jan 06, 2015
slimmy05:
shocked Wow, that's pretty expensive. Now, I will value my employer here. For years now I don't know how recharge cards looks like. I have enough data and airtime. I even give out my cloned line for my peeps to call and browse. They will really miss all the freebies. Now I will pay dearly for it.

Even my friends abroad I call them like am making local calls.

For sure they will.. Even me self
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Walspring: 4:04pm On Jan 06, 2015
slimmy05:
Bro, I've actually been doing business off ebay for a while now. All you need is get an unlocked used phone for a very cheap price then get a SIM card.

I can't remember how many phones I've used over the years. If you have a paypal account, search ebay well and bid for phones or buy out straight. Last two month I got a very clean iPhone 5s for 200used. It came with accessories(charger, earpiece, cord). No visible scratch, very clean.

One needs to be very sharp.

Bro i have been doing this on ebay but i could not see a better deal like this ooo

You need to teach me more about this cos i need the 5s badly
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Walspring: 4:09pm On Jan 06, 2015
@imperiouxx

I sent you pm
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by Walspring: 4:11pm On Jan 06, 2015
olenime:
Pls house, whr is the place to register for Toefl and Gre test? How much does it cost?

Outside lagos or within lagos

Check your pm grin grin grin
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 by biikeys(m): 4:13pm On Jan 06, 2015
slimmy05:

smiley It's mandatory as far as I know..the good thing is that you get some "free" vaccines which cost quite a bit out of campus.

(1) (2) (3) ... (268) (269) (270) (271) (272) (273) (274) ... (502)

Lets Talk About Estonia / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12 / German Embassy And Visa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.