Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,991 members, 7,838,507 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 12:27 AM

Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up - Religion (15) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up (21081 Views)

The Solemnnity Of Christ The King, All Catholics Please Stand Up!!! / Why Do Catholics Pray With The Rosary, And Bow To Mary's Statue? / Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up by Carlosein(m): 1:49pm On Feb 13, 2009
@viee,
now it's easy to spot after you showed up. lol!

chukwudi44:

fellow catholics who in your opinion is the greatest pope in history .Am in a dilemma I dont know whether I should give it to Johnpaul ii or Leo the great

chukwudi, i don't know if you should be looking at the papacy in dat way cos each one was great in their own unique way.

but in my lifetime, i came to know and love only one, John Paul II. so if we really had to take one, it would be him.
also i've read about Pope St Leo the great and many more and have loved them too. considering that each
in his own way worked for God, i'd be happy to let things be.

how are you doing by the way?

roll call: pamperme, lady, ebos (hmm), lawyer, oby, karlie4nia, imhotep, etc. show up one time!
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up by Carlosein(m): 1:51pm On Feb 13, 2009
Friday of the Fifth Week in Ordinary Time

Reading 1
Gn 3:1-8

Now the serpent was the most cunning of all the animals
that the LORD God had made.
The serpent asked the woman,
"Did God really tell you not to eat
from any of the trees in the garden?"
The woman answered the serpent:
"We may eat of the fruit of the trees in the garden;
it is only about the fruit of the tree
in the middle of the garden that God said,
'You shall not eat it or even touch it, lest you die.'"
But the serpent said to the woman:
"You certainly will not die!
No, God knows well that the moment you eat of it
your eyes will be opened and you will be like gods
who know what is good and what is evil."
The woman saw that the tree was good for food,
pleasing to the eyes, and desirable for gaining wisdom.
So she took some of its fruit and ate it;
and she also gave some to her husband, who was with her,
and he ate it.
Then the eyes of both of them were opened,
and they realized that they were naked;
so they sewed fig leaves together
and made loincloths for themselves.
When they heard the sound of the LORD God moving about in the garden
at the breezy time of the day,
the man and his wife hid themselves from the LORD God
among the trees of the garden.

Responsorial Psalm
Ps 32:1-2, 5, 6, 7

R. (1a) Blessed are those whose sins are forgiven.
Blessed is he whose fault is taken away,
whose sin is covered.
Blessed the man to whom the LORD imputes not guilt,
in whose spirit there is no guile.
R. Blessed are those whose sins are forgiven.
Then I acknowledged my sin to you,
my guilt I covered not.
I said, "I confess my faults to the LORD,"
and you took away the guilt of my sin.
For this shall every faithful man pray to you
in time of stress.
Though deep waters overflow,
they shall not reach him.
You are my shelter; from distress you will preserve me;
with glad cries of freedom you will ring me round.

Gospel
Mk 7:31-37

Jesus left the district of Tyre
and went by way of Sidon to the Sea of Galilee,
into the district of the Decapolis.
And people brought to him a deaf man who had a speech impediment
and begged him to lay his hand on him.
He took him off by himself away from the crowd.
He put his finger into the man's ears
and, spitting, touched his tongue;
then he looked up to heaven and groaned, and said to him,
" Ephphatha!" (that is, "Be opened!"wink
And immediately the man's ears were opened,
his speech impediment was removed,
and he spoke plainly.
He ordered them not to tell anyone.
But the more he ordered them not to,
the more they proclaimed it.
They were exceedingly astonished and they said,
"He has done all things well.
He makes the deaf hear and the mute speak."
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up by Nobody: 5:37pm On Feb 13, 2009
happy val to all my catholic folks .TKARE
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up by viee(f): 6:56pm On Feb 13, 2009
hey guys!!
wish you all a great weekend and hapi vals

be good!

God bless us all
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up by Lady2(f): 7:25pm On Feb 13, 2009
I am present o.

Viee, I am sooo waiting that cake o.

My peeps,
How are you all doing?

Happy Vals, and I hope we're all getting ready for lent, I know I will need you guys o, this will be my first actual lent since I got confirmed. Last year was supposed to be it, but I couldn't, was recovering from the accident (therapy and lots of drugs), so couldn't do much for lent. But this year, it's on.

Chukwudi

Don't really think the popes should be looked at like that. Although I do know that some of them were called great, but I love them, yup including that one that ridiculed the papal office, but God is his judge not I.

But I do looovee Pope Benedict XVI, he is soo politically incorrect, I love it
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up by LARRYMcCOY(m): 4:09pm On Feb 14, 2009
Happi Vals to everyone, i really miss you guys so much,

For God and for Youth, Through Christ.
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up by Maykelly(f): 2:34pm On Feb 16, 2009
Val val val catholic val another earthly celebration grin
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up by Nobody: 9:29pm On Feb 16, 2009
;d ;d
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up by viee(f): 5:49pm On Feb 17, 2009
hey Lady!
just pick a date and venue wink cheesy
cake small sef grin

and yes, lent is my fav, i alwyas seem to go the extra mile during lent.

@chukwudi, i dnt knw much abt others Holy Fathers but i just love Pope John Paul.
for me, i wont exactly say he is the greatest but i do know that i love him.

@Lady, politically incorrect? now, thats really funny grin lol
you are absolutely correct. that is exactly the kind of thing that makes headlines u'knw.
i read an article on sunday Punch i think, it was calling for the Pope to resign. I said to myself, what has resignation got to do with all these? A half page of article and i still cldnt make sense of what the authour was hinting. . .

which brings me to this: whats your take on the Pope and Holocaust issue? it seem to be the issue making headlines, should there be conditions for such thing?
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up by Lady2(f): 6:00pm On Feb 17, 2009
viee:

hey Lady!
just pick a date and venue wink cheesy
cake small sef grin

and yes, lent is my fav, i alwyas seem to go the extra mile during lent.

@chukwudi, i dnt knw much abt others Holy Fathers but i just love Pope John Paul.
for me, i wont exactly say he is the greatest but i do know that i love him.

@Lady, politically incorrect? now, thats really funny grin lol
you are absolutely correct. that is exactly the kind of thing that makes headlines u'knw.
i read an article on sunday Punch i think, it was calling for the Pope to resign. I said to myself, what has resignation got to do with all these? A half page of article and i still cldnt make sense of what the authour was hinting. . .

which brings me to this: whats your take on the Pope and Holocaust issue? it seem to be the issue making headlines, should there be conditions for such thing?

Ok I will

Wait o who's calling for the Pope to resign? I haven't read much about the issue with the Pope and the holocaust, but I thought he lifted the excommunication off for the SSPX and that one of them doesn't acknowledge the holocaust, what I want to know is what does that have to do with his excommunication being lifted. I didn't know personal opinions of priests were a matter of excommunication.

But I'll look up more on it.
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up by viee(f): 8:33am On Feb 19, 2009
hey Lady, sup dear. .

they were excommunicated because they didnt get Papal blessing before their ordination
there were 3 of them.
only one of them made the comment about the holocaust victims . . . . . .
i dnt knw the full details of excommunication and whether personal opinion can actually lead to excommunication. . . i will find out thou
i read somewhere that the Vatican has asked the Priest to retrieve his statement abt the actual number of victims and the gas chamber.

i will try and follow the matter more now. . . .
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up by Lady2(f): 4:50pm On Feb 19, 2009
viee:

hey Lady, sup dear. .

they were excommunicated because they didnt get Papal blessing before their ordination
there were 3 of them.
only one of them made the comment about the holocaust victims . . . . . .
i dnt knw the full details of excommunication and whether personal opinion can actually lead to excommunication. . . i will find out thou
i read somewhere that the Vatican has asked the Priest to retrieve his statement abt the actual number of victims and the gas chamber.

i will try and follow the matter more now. . . .

Hi Viee, how are you?

the criteria for excommunication is dependent on the reason the person is being excommunicated, so it various and isn't clear cut as it may seem.
But there are plenty of people who have personal statements that aren't good, but are still not excommunicated. Excommunication is a big deal, and doesn't come so easily.
But I am aware that the Pope wants him to check his statement on the holocaust.
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up by Nobody: 6:48pm On Feb 20, 2009
please have been wondering why we dont have a fixed day for easter.Can someone please explain to me how the arrives at the date for easter?
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up by viee(f): 8:41am On Feb 24, 2009
hey peeps. . .

e kaaro,
se daada ni?
yep, im working on my yoruba skills wink

Chukwudi, i did a bit of reading on the subject u asked and here is an extract from my reading:

Lunar calendar

The Catholic Church maintained a tabular lunar calendar, which was primarily to calculate the date of Easter, and the lunar calendar required reform as well. A perpetual lunar calendar was created, in the sense that 30 different arrangements (lines in the expanded table of epacts) for lunar months were created. One of the 30 arrangements applies to a century (for this purpose, the century begins with a year divisible by 100). When the arrangement to be used for a given century is communicated, anyone in possession of the tables can find the age of the moon on any date, and calculate the date of Easter. [7]

Gregorian reform
The motivation of the Catholic Church in adjusting the calendar was to celebrate Easter at the time it thought the First Council of Nicaea had agreed upon in 325. Although a canon of the council implies that all churches used the same Easter, they did not. The Church of Alexandria celebrated Easter on the Sunday after the 14th day of the moon (computed using the Metonic cycle) that falls on or after the vernal equinox, which they placed on 21 March. However, the Church of Rome still regarded 25 March as the equinox (until 342) and used a different cycle to compute the day of the moon.[8] In the Alexandrian system, since the 14th day of the Easter moon could fall at earliest on 21 March its first day could fall no earlier than 8 March and no later than 5 April. This meant that Easter varied between 22 March and 25 April. In Rome, Easter was not allowed to fall later than 21 April, that being the day of the Parilia or birthday of Rome and a pagan festival. The first day of the Easter moon could fall no earlier than 5 March and no later than 2 April. Easter was the Sunday after the 15th day of this moon, whose 14th day was allowed to precede the equinox. Where the two systems produced different dates there was generally a compromise so that both churches were able to celebrate on the same day. By the tenth century all churches (except some on the eastern border of the Byzantine Empire) had adopted the Alexandrian Easter, which still placed the vernal equinox on 21 March, although Bede had already noted its drift in 725—it had drifted even further by the sixteenth century"

you can read more about it on: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gregorian_calendar

i didnt have that much info abt it so your question also made me look into it, so thankx!

@ all, swell day guyz. . .
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up by viee(f): 8:44am On Feb 24, 2009
hey Lady,

im kool
hope you are too?

thanx for the info!
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up by Oby1(f): 12:32pm On Feb 24, 2009
A very Good day to you all.
weldone viee and lady, hey Chuks i salute, you guys are doing great i can see.

Make una no mind me at all, but at least i better pass many people wey no even come at all.

Hey! remember tomorrow is Ash Wednesday (to remind us that we are from dust and unto dust we shall all return).

Please i don't understand What is this Holocaust all about, can someone explain?
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up by Lady2(f): 4:22am On Feb 25, 2009
Oby1:

A very Good day to you all.
weldone viee and lady, hey Chuks i salute, you guys are doing great i can see.

Make una no mind me at all, but at least i better pass many people wey no even come at all.

Hey! remember tomorrow is Ash Wednesday (to remind us that we are from dust and unto dust we shall all return).

Please i don't understand What is this Holocaust all about, can someone explain?

The Pope lifted the excommunication of the SSPX, but one of them said that during the Holocaust the amount of people that were gassed were exaggerated. So that discussion is going on and is heated right now.
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up by Lady2(f): 4:24am On Feb 25, 2009
Ok people, for lent I am giving up Nairaland, and will return after lent. I love u all, and for those of u who can contact me outside of nairaland please do so.
bye.
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up by viee(f): 10:23am On Feb 25, 2009
~Lady~:

Ok people, for lent I am giving up Nairaland, and will return after lent.

cry cry cry cry cry
anything for lent thou so kiss
see ay after lent.
have a wonderful and prayerful season

Oby,

sup gurl. . .
yes oo u beta pass small lol
nice to see you ard.
come more often
went for mass before comin to office this morning
had a good time with God.

lets rem each other this season lent
and pray to God for countries at war, children who are hungry, homeless and for their parents also.
let us also rem in particular those who did lent with us last year, but are no longer with us, that God will thru our prayers, welkom them into his heavenly kingdom.

most esp, let us pray for all of us here, that God will grant us all our good heart desires, in Jesus name.

lets spend some time together with Lord, rem, we can always visit :savior.org at our offices

bless us all!
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up by Oby1(f): 10:55am On Feb 25, 2009
~Lady~:

The Pope lifted the excommunication of the SSPX, but one of them said that during the Holocaust the amount of people that were gassed were exaggerated. So that discussion is going on and is heated right now.

Ok. May God grant them the Wisdom to the matter.
Hey! remember us in your prayer this Lent and may all our heart desire be granted especially for the souls that have gone astray.
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up by Oby1(f): 10:58am On Feb 25, 2009
~Lady~:

Ok people, for lent I am giving up Nairaland, and will return after lent. I love u all, and for those of u who can contact me outside of nairaland please do so.
bye.

Is ok, is a nice decision, i believe u don't want any distraction, i like it. May your prayers be answered in Jesus name. Amen.
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up by viee(f): 2:28pm On Mar 04, 2009
hey guys. . .
hapi lent grin

i pray that God will give us grace to see through our various lenten devotins.

heard something toda nad decided to share it with us all.

it is a sermon on todays reading:

God gives us a lot of privileges, and these privileges comes with responsibilities
the people ofNineveh had the privilege of being sent a prophet in the person of Jonah to warn them.
they turned from their evil ways, mourned and repentend.

the Jews however, were looking for signs instead.

Today, the 9th day of lent, God is reminding us of the privileges we have as his children
the privileges of the sacraments we have as practising catholics and what we have done we these privileges.

the privileges we have at be at our place of work, school, family, among friends etc and what we have done with these? ? ?

the lenten season always afford us the oppourtunity for a retreat, on this day, let us reflect on those privileges we have and think of ways to respond to them as christians, as catholics.

Fr (cant rem. cryhis name, sori cry)

i was deeply touched and want to share it with pple i care about.

have a good day!
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up by viee(f): 12:33pm On Mar 10, 2009
hapi new week pple.
hope we all enjoyed the lille holiday?

wishn everyone God's blessing and protection this week.
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up by Pamperme: 10:20pm On Mar 11, 2009
Hi peeps cheesy ow are u all doing.
i pray that God will grant us all our petitions during this lenten season and may we all remember that dust we are and dust shall we return to.

Glory to Jesus
Honour to Mary cool
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up by fesse(f): 1:56pm On Mar 12, 2009
proud to be a true catholic fellow. God be with you all.
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up by sancta: 1:36pm On Mar 13, 2009
A LOT OF PEOPLE THAT CALL THEMSELVES CATHOLICS DO NOT EVEN KNOW THEY ARE NOT CATHOLICS AT ALL. A LOT HAS TEKEN PLACE WHICH HAS COME UP WITH A NEW RELIGION KNOWN AS THE VATICAN II SECT WHICH CLAIMS TO BE CATHOLIC BUT ITS NOT. ITS JUST SO UNFORTUNATE THAT THEY ARE LEADING SOULS TO HELL. FOR YOU TO KNOW WHAT AM TALKING ABOUT, KINDLY LOG ON TO www.mostholyfamilymonastery.com AND SEE THE TRUTH FOR YOURSELF. I STILL INSIST, SHOULD YOU GET INTERESTED IN HAVING ANY OF THEIR AUDIOS, VIDEOS AND BOOKS, YOU COULD CONTACT ME ON salvesancta@yahoo.com AND WE,LL SEND THEM FREE OF CHARGE TO YOU SINCE TRUE CHARITY DEMANDS THAT WE LET PEOPLE BE AWARE OF WHAT IS GOING ON.
THANKS
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up by Lady2(f): 4:01pm On Apr 11, 2009
So did everyone give up nairaland for lent?
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up by Nobody: 6:28pm On Apr 11, 2009
Happy easter to everyone in the catholic forum

@lady
welcome back to NL really missed u
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up by Lady2(f): 5:47pm On Apr 13, 2009
chukwudi44:

Happy easter to everyone in the catholic forum

@lady
welcome back to NL really missed u

Thanks love, I missed you and everyone here, but it seems they are all ghost right now. Happy Easter to you too
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up by Kave(m): 8:32pm On Apr 14, 2009
And God said to 'them', Do not make any image of anything in heaven, on earth or in the sea, DO NOT bow down to them neither should you bring them near to the house of GOD, those doing so would be just like them,
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up by Lady2(f): 11:19pm On Apr 25, 2009
BOOK 1

USEFUL ADMONITIONS FOR THE SPIRITUAL LIFE

Chapter 1
On Following Christ Our Model

No one "who follows me will ever walk in darkness" (jn 8:12. These words of our Lord counsel all to walk in his footsteps. If you want to see clearly and avoid blindness of heart, it is His virtues you must imitate. Make it your aim to meditate on the life of Jesus Christ.
Christ's teaching surpasses that of all the Saints. But to find this spiritual nourishment you must seek to have the Spirit of Christ. It is because we lack this Spirit that so often we listen to the Gospel without really hearing it. Those who fully understand Christ's words must labot to make their lives conform to His.
To be learned and able to discuss the Trinity will get you nowhere if you do not have humility, and therefore displease the Holy Trinity. Lofty words neither save you nor make you a Saint; only a virtuous life makes you dear to God. It is better to experience contrition than to be able to define it. To be well versed in scripture and all the sayings of the philosophers will not profit you if you are without God's love and His grace. "All things are vanity" (Eccl 1:2). Nothing matters except to love God and to serve Him only. The height of wisdom is to set your goal on heaven by despising the world.
How foolish it is to seek and to put your trust in riches that will pass. How foolish to go after worldly honors and to set yourself above others. How foolish to follow the impulses of the flesh, or to covet those things which so soon will cost you a heavy penalty.
How foolish to wish for a long life, but not care whether it is a good life; to be concerned only with the present, with never a though of eternity and the endless joy that awaits you.
Often think of the proverb: "The eye is not satisfied with seeing, nor is the ear fille with hearing" (Eccl 1:. Be determined to detach your heart from the love of visible things, allowing it to center on those unseen.
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up by Lady2(f): 11:22pm On Apr 25, 2009
Chapter 2

On Having a Humble Opinion of Oneself

Knowledge is a natural desire in all people. But knowledge for its own sake is useless unless you fear God. An unlearned peasant, whose contentment is the service of God, is far better than the learned and the clever, whose pride in their knowledge leads them to neglect their souls while fixing their attention on the stars.
True self-knowledge makes you aware of your own worthlessness and you will take no pleasure in the praises of others. If your knowledge encompasses the universe and the love of God is not in you, what good will it do you in God's sight? He will judge you according to your actions.
An overweening desire for knowledge brings many distractions and much delusion. Many like to be considered learned and to be praised for their wisdom; how much knowledge there is which adds nothing to the good of the soul! To spend yourself on wordly pursuits which do nothing to further your eternal salvation is unwise.
It is useless to speand much time in talking; only aholy life and a good conscience will ease your mind and satisfy your soul, enabling you to face God with confidence
Remember, the more you know, the more severely you will be judged. So do not be proud of any skill or knowledge you may have, for such is an awesome responsibility. No matter how much you know, realize how much there is that you do not know. Do not be afraid to acknowledge your own ignorance.
Why have you exalted opinion of yourself when you know there are many, even in your own field, whose knowledge surpasses yours? If you want to learn anything worthwhile, seek rather to be unknown and to be thought of as nothing.
Nothing is so beneficial as to a true knowledge of ourselves, which produces a wholesome self-contempt. Always think kindly of others, while holding yourself as nothing; this is true wisdom and leads to perfection. If you ssee another commit a grievous sin, or whose faults are flagrant, do not regard yourself as better, for you do not know what you would do if similarly tempted. You are in good disposition now, but you do not know how long you will persevere in it. Always keep in mind that all are frail, but none so frail as yourself.

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (Reply)

Sallah Ram: Man Hangs Self Over Lack Of Money To Buy Ram / Bishop Oyedepo: "A Christian Can Lose His Salvation" / Happy 73rd Birthday To Pastor Adeboye

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.