Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,829 members, 7,810,185 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:46 PM

Naija Hip Hop And Its Emptiness (Stroking The Admiration Of The Shallow Minds) - Music/Radio (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Naija Hip Hop And Its Emptiness (Stroking The Admiration Of The Shallow Minds) (22195 Views)

What Are Your Top 10 Naija Hip Hop Tracks Of 2011? / What Are Your Top 10 Naija Hip Hop Tracks Of 2010? / What Are your Top 10 Naija Hip Hop Tracks Of 2009? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Naija Hip Hop And Its Emptiness (Stroking The Admiration Of The Shallow Minds) by priscaoge(f): 10:27pm On Sep 07, 2014
pegmatite:
Hav u heard d dirty version of Caro by Wizkid?
Nope haven't heard!
Re: Naija Hip Hop And Its Emptiness (Stroking The Admiration Of The Shallow Minds) by pegmatite(f): 10:29pm On Sep 07, 2014
[quote
author=sauceEEP]Dorrobucci, dorroballer, dorroeminado..... I so hate
this song. Still can't figure out the meaning of that word dorrobucci.
Could it be a designer label just like gucci [/quote]
#fact! Itz an expressn of stupidity!
Re: Naija Hip Hop And Its Emptiness (Stroking The Admiration Of The Shallow Minds) by poik(m): 11:00pm On Sep 07, 2014
Music is a generational thing.
This generation is perverse, corrupt and depraved, music-wise.
Whether Naija or American, they are the same difference.
I miss the good old Blackstreet Boys, 112, Jagged Edge, Dru Hill, Backstreet Boyz, the old Usher Raymonds, Babyface, ginuwine, Brian McKnight, Ruggedman, Plantashun Boiz, and the rest.
Even when they talk about love and the extremities of sex which is common with 112 especially that bad boy Slim, they do it in a creative, veiled and appreciable manner. That is not to say that parental advisory content is worthy listening material anyways.
But today...whosai?
There are very few...I mean very few contemporary songs I can relate to. One of the is Chris Brown's Don't Judge me.
By the way, who knows that my best gospel crooner Dave Hollister was one quarter of Blackstreet Boys?

1 Like

Re: Naija Hip Hop And Its Emptiness (Stroking The Admiration Of The Shallow Minds) by princebergz(m): 11:53pm On Sep 07, 2014
Omotolu: ...I am also concerned about the many lack of meanings in most of these songs,like dorobuccl,shoki,eminado and the likes.I don't listen to their booty songs...

slangs are an integral part of communication in this part of the world. I believe anyone should have the freedom to coin any slang and ascribe anything they feel like to it.
1.dorobucci: the song explains itself. Listen to the lyrics
2. shoki: is a dance routine / step, just like the nae nae, reject even the moonwalk.
3. eminado: is a good luck charm usually made from cowries worn my native wrestlers from the east. you can fill in the gap.
to me, the issue is in how morals have been debased, look around you, it's everywhere; religious houses, schools, places of work... the rot stinks everywhere.
the average youth doesn't give two hoots about your lyrics, look at Timi dakolo, etcetera, GT and so on, Iyanya is a perfect example of the dire situation we find ourselves (but That's none of my business )
For me, I listen to classics, rap, soft rock...
N.B: Timaya should be shot for that remix with Sean Paul
Re: Naija Hip Hop And Its Emptiness (Stroking The Admiration Of The Shallow Minds) by mpowa(m): 2:35am On Sep 08, 2014
GreenBobo: Stick to what you like! When Inyanya was doing good music, few Nigerians knew or patronized him! He did kukure n all of a sudden he blew! I get ur point, But It's business and they call it commercial music!

it is emptiness that make people sing trash in the name of commercial music, if your calling is music, you'll sing wholesome nice lyrics and would still make it. Most of 2fase's great hits are good music.

Everybody shouldn't be in music, how can you enter studio and all you're saying is 'shake ur yansh, shake ur yansh' what can be emptier than that? and alot of them do that, including the so called super-stars, it is whackness and unwillingness to work, similar to nollywood producing 50 movies per week, they only sell stupid beats and videos, infact most of them use thesame beats. SHM!
Re: Naija Hip Hop And Its Emptiness (Stroking The Admiration Of The Shallow Minds) by emmanueljimmy(m): 2:52am On Sep 08, 2014
Rapmoney: I used 'hip hop' because I didn't want to use 'music'. Music consists of both native/cultural, gospel, etc. There are lots of naija cultural songs I can kill for; they cut across many Nigerian languages. When it comes to gospel, there are songs and artistes I admire. I can play the likes of Frank Edwards, Chris Morgan, Boniface Adefu, Sinach, etc all day wink

Now, naija hip hop. Getting so empty!!! What do these peeps say in their songs if not the butts of women and how they can die for it. Does it mean there is no other reasonable thing to talk about if not nyash? Out of every 10 naija hiphop you hear on radio, 9 must be talking about nyash. Gosh!!!

The effect of these songs on our kids cannot be easily over-looked. They corrupt these kids to a large extent. I have seen kids singing lines such as 'take banana till you go...', ' I fit die on top your matter ehhhh', 'ukwu', etc.

Nigerians are quick to conclude that foreign songs contain nothing, but with all sincerity, I think the ratio of foreign songs that are empty and those of naija cannot be compared. Most naija hiphop/dance hall songs are loved so much by the 'unintelligent' folks who find it hard to understand philosophical lines or lyrics. I still feel the level of your mentality determines the type of songs you listen to. I give respect to Gino, Yung Hanz, Modenine, Jesse Jagzz and the peeps who have been keeping it real.

Views are welcomed...
Thats the whole Idea of hip pop..its all about money,cars,drugs,girls,pussy,sex n trash...if u wanna change dat in hip pop den its no more hip pop...hate the game not the player....boys must chop
Re: Naija Hip Hop And Its Emptiness (Stroking The Admiration Of The Shallow Minds) by emmanueljimmy(m): 2:54am On Sep 08, 2014
I HATE FLAVOUR wid passion!!!
Re: Naija Hip Hop And Its Emptiness (Stroking The Admiration Of The Shallow Minds) by emmanueljimmy(m): 2:56am On Sep 08, 2014
priscaoge:
Nope haven't heard!
have heard the crap...can give a 14yr old boy an erection
Re: Naija Hip Hop And Its Emptiness (Stroking The Admiration Of The Shallow Minds) by Awaja(m): 6:18am On Sep 08, 2014
Nigerian hip hop is not as empty as u say it,most of this artists will be on a lyrical slate @ d onset bt'll switch to*ukwu*as soon as d fame/money comes,that's y I don't joke with guys like 3pleA,jags,mnicy,etc dem dey try
Re: Naija Hip Hop And Its Emptiness (Stroking The Admiration Of The Shallow Minds) by priscaoge(f): 6:48am On Sep 08, 2014
emmanueljimmy: have heard the crap...can give a 14yr old boy an erection
Lwkmdcheesycheesycheesy no be small attentioncheesycheesy
Re: Naija Hip Hop And Its Emptiness (Stroking The Admiration Of The Shallow Minds) by MrDoGood(m): 9:07am On Sep 08, 2014
Rapmoney: I used 'hip hop' because I didn't want to use 'music'. Music consists of both native/cultural, gospel, etc. There are lots of naija cultural songs I can kill for; they cut across many Nigerian languages. When it comes to gospel, there are songs and artistes I admire. I can play the likes of Frank Edwards, Chris Morgan, Boniface Adefu, Sinach, etc all day wink

Now, naija hip hop. Getting so empty!!! What do these peeps say in their songs if not the butts of women and how they can die for it. Does it mean there is no other reasonable thing to talk about if not nyash? Out of every 10 naija hiphop you hear on radio, 9 must be talking about nyash. Gosh!!!

The effect of these songs on our kids cannot be easily over-looked. They corrupt these kids to a large extent. I have seen kids singing lines such as 'take banana till you go...', ' I fit die on top your matter ehhhh', 'ukwu', etc.

Nigerians are quick to conclude that foreign songs contain nothing, but with all sincerity, I think the ratio of foreign songs that are empty and those of naija cannot be compared. Most naija hiphop/dance hall songs are loved so much by the 'unintelligent' folks who find it hard to understand philosophical lines or lyrics. I still feel the level of your mentality determines the type of songs you listen to. I give respect to Gino, Yung Hanz, Modenine, Jesse Jagzz and the peeps who have been keeping it real.

Views are welcomed...

they are the majority in the country.

someone might be a graduate does not mean the person is intelligent
Re: Naija Hip Hop And Its Emptiness (Stroking The Admiration Of The Shallow Minds) by jaydee87(m): 9:18am On Sep 08, 2014
gift01: How then do you classify some of Fela's songs? Corrupt or meaningless?
Fela is a preacher going against the govt and using music as a medium to me his song helped his generation see things differently.
Re: Naija Hip Hop And Its Emptiness (Stroking The Admiration Of The Shallow Minds) by Louislewis: 11:42am On Sep 08, 2014
Classifying naija music as Hip-Hop is a gross mistake. Can u name those in Hip-Hop musical line. None! and repeat None!! Majority of our so-called musicals are playing nothing but, "Fine Turned" highlife, makossa types of music. That's all! Copying each other to make up an album.
Re: Naija Hip Hop And Its Emptiness (Stroking The Admiration Of The Shallow Minds) by offiahPman: 3:12pm On Sep 08, 2014
[i][/i]Emptiness be damned!they gives us(nigerians)what we desires.
Re: Naija Hip Hop And Its Emptiness (Stroking The Admiration Of The Shallow Minds) by tomiobj(m): 4:12pm On Sep 08, 2014

Views are welcomed...
. So olamide is not kipn it real
Re: Naija Hip Hop And Its Emptiness (Stroking The Admiration Of The Shallow Minds) by holar2ge(m): 11:53pm On Sep 08, 2014
I know if u ve heard 9ice Jigi jigi.u wont include him..Jesse and Vectot re d boss.
horlabiyi: I'm sorry to tell you this op. Most of those foreign artiste you are seeing as music lords sing trash too. Just listen to the likes of Lil Wayne,Rick Ross,2chainz etc all they talk about is Womanliness,weed,booty and clubbing. Though there are some artiste that always kill the lyrics like Bruno Mars and co. Respect to the likes of 2face,Jesse Jags,Vector,Olamide,Reminisce,9ice and their mama Asa.
Re: Naija Hip Hop And Its Emptiness (Stroking The Admiration Of The Shallow Minds) by marchzoner(m): 7:48am On Sep 09, 2014
True talk @op...most of them talk trash..and still make cash!!
Re: Naija Hip Hop And Its Emptiness (Stroking The Admiration Of The Shallow Minds) by Tracyzee: 12:27pm On Sep 09, 2014
True, naija hip hop keeps getting trashy by the day. Nothing does it like old school, back then when artistes would take time to pop out mind blowing and inspiring lyrics. And then of course with complementing beats...
Re: Naija Hip Hop And Its Emptiness (Stroking The Admiration Of The Shallow Minds) by ELYMAXiimus(m): 7:27pm On Sep 09, 2014
Hiphop is not all about singing about booty, t1ts, f*ck, nd self appraisal like you said!

Hiphop is a genre of music that esxpresses a personality. Not all rappers in naija talk all these things you said. Olamide would talk about @ss shaking and so on, M.I wouldnt! When rappers rap, it's like they're thinking out loud.
We still have hiphop artistes here in naija who are still thinking straight!

But the truth is our community is corrupt, we just like deceiving ourselves... 95% actually want to see all these @ss shaking!
So these artistes hav to give the fans what they want. If not, they will be forced to hawk their CDs under the sun to sell by themselves!

Bro, naija artistes are hustlers!

Ones you got lil cheese on you, you hit a studio with anything you got, you shoot a video in two weeks, give 'em viewers some @ss shakings . . . Before you know it you'll be making waves!

So you can't blame the artistes alone, it's the type of community we live in!
Re: Naija Hip Hop And Its Emptiness (Stroking The Admiration Of The Shallow Minds) by tunazi(m): 9:29pm On Sep 09, 2014
not all d songs are as fake as you are paintin them
Re: Naija Hip Hop And Its Emptiness (Stroking The Admiration Of The Shallow Minds) by YungLacosta(m): 6:40pm On Oct 25, 2014
priscaoge:
Someone was playing one song like that when I was in a Bus,they call it "S3x TAPE". I was shocked when I heard d lyrics shocked shocked shocked Like seriously that's d dirtiest music I have ever heard. WDF! I wonder Y they didn't ban dat silly music.

In this country nbc ban will have no effect pls
Re: Naija Hip Hop And Its Emptiness (Stroking The Admiration Of The Shallow Minds) by YungLacosta(m): 6:51pm On Oct 25, 2014
On the contrary American hip hop ( though it has its downside) conveys messages unlike most of our music. Check out august alsina's "make it home song" its really deep ( and yes hip hop covers RnB ) even d more crimminal ones like baba rick Ross still have messages. But here its all bout sex. Cant even watch naija vids when my parents are around or dem go just ban me like the videos sef lol.

1 Like

Re: Naija Hip Hop And Its Emptiness (Stroking The Admiration Of The Shallow Minds) by Rapmoney(m): 12:00am On Oct 26, 2014
YungLacosta:
On the contrary American hip hop ( though it has its downside) conveys messages unlike most of our music. Check out august alsina's "make it home song" its really deep ( and yes hip hop covers RnB ) even d more crimminal ones like baba rick Ross still have messages. But here its all bout sex. Cant even watch naija vids when my parents are around or dem go just ban me like the videos sef lol.

Thnks for the observation.
Re: Naija Hip Hop And Its Emptiness (Stroking The Admiration Of The Shallow Minds) by yoji: 6:06am On Oct 26, 2014
Their songs are not empty, it's that the empty songs in their albums get more airplay than the so called meaningful songs simple. Every artist has songs where he expresses his struggles, songs of appreciation for fans and family, songs that express societal ills and songs for the clubs. Now the question is, why do the club songs get more airplay? This means your grouse should be on the media houses and not the artists.
Timaya sang 'ukwu, which got way more airplay than "bow down', a brilliant song by the same artist. So whose fault?
Wizkid despite his widely popular meaningless songs has a beautiful song for his mum on the same album which rarely gets airplay, whose fault?
Re: Naija Hip Hop And Its Emptiness (Stroking The Admiration Of The Shallow Minds) by Nobody: 8:42am On Mar 17, 2017
World class music video directed & shot without spending money.
Lyrics was written in less than a week.
Track was recorded in about 1 hour.
Video was shot in a weekend.
Audio & Video NOT FOR SALE
LAWMA by @FUGEEBOI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKvup953L38

Re: Naija Hip Hop And Its Emptiness (Stroking The Admiration Of The Shallow Minds) by Eddysilver(m): 4:26pm On Jul 04, 2023
By the way, my rival, careente7 and I, Eddysilver are having a rap battle. We would really appreciate your audience. Kindly click on the link below. God bless.

https://www.nairaland.com/7745082/rap-battle-challenged-battle-rap

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

2007 - Naija Mixtape For Download. / P-Square: Kings Of Copy, Sampling And Overlifting / Chike Ft. Mohbad - Egwu (video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.