Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,194 members, 7,860,280 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 08:48 AM

Favourite Rap Lines By Nigerian Rappers - Music/Radio (24) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Favourite Rap Lines By Nigerian Rappers (118113 Views)

no / Be Wise And Get Enlightened – An Advice To Nigerian Rappers / M.i's Top Ten Nigerian Rappers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) ... (51) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Favourite Rap Lines By Nigerian Rappers by DBR: 5:15pm On Aug 11, 2009
unequivocally i am the epitome of delivery
envision me a visionary becos i spit religiously
neva dabble in foolery/ nothin u can do to me
undisputedly the king of the mic and this is eulogy- M.i i no send u

oNe
Re: Favourite Rap Lines By Nigerian Rappers by Bamsyle(m): 5:17pm On Aug 11, 2009
slimshay:

this debate about emcee and rappers when you start bringing different variables into it then contracdictions will arise.

I agree . . . and that was why I said the difference might escape even the keen observer's eye . . . there's a fine line between both . . . but really maybe we need to argue this out in some other thread as some o' y'all've already noted . . . was just passing by and got interested in the Rapper/MC angle . . . some catz are already tearing out some jugulars in here . . .  grin grin

for instance, 'an emcee is a crowd mover', have you seen eedris rocking a crowd, no kidding, this guy can move a crowd!!! does dat now make him a good emcee as against a bad rapper.

This thing about "moving a crowd", erm . . . I tend to see it in a deeper sense . . . "moving a crowd" entails much more than moving peops to they feet . . . or gettin 'em to nod they heads . . . or snap they fingers . . . etc . . .

It's much more about controlling the mood of the crowd . . . taking charge . . . dictating the tone/the atmosphere of the crowd.

A Rapper would get on stage and spit intelligent stuff . . . wisecracks that'll make peops go "whoa" . . . but at the end of the show . . . these peops'll leave, more impressed with the rapper's skills at "rhyming with words" than the meanings of those words . . .

An MC would get on the same stage and also spit intelligent stuff . . . before the same audience . . . and at the end of the show . . . the peops are not only impressed with his skills at rhyming with words . . . they're even more impressed with the deep, and, atimes convoluted or hidden meanings of the words . . . they're set trippin' hard . . . searching they minds long and hard for the meanings of those words . . .

you cant listen to modenine and not go did you hear dat, but then again he's not particular a popular crowd mover so, his he a bad emcee now?, even though he's got conscious and wow lyrics?

Exactly . . . and again I offer you my above explanation of the term "crowd mover" . . .

Most times, the MC does not even get you to dance or move . . . he only moves your heart, your soul, the deep recesses of ya being . . . he spits soul-stirring stuff (either with stories or plain grammar with no plot) . . . he is the essential wordsmith - the one you'll love to listen to without a beat . . . for e.g. a lot of fans and even critics of Mode9 give him props for "Contradiction" . . . that song ain't about showcasing skills or how much you can rhyme . . . it's more of what an MC would do . . . even when he entertains.

And that's pretty much the reason any rapper can spit a "wow" stuff . . . a rapper delivers spoken words - it goes without saying that he should spit impressive lyrics (even if it's once in a while) . . . even R'n'B acts atimes say some quotable stuff so why not rappers??

"MC", "Rapper" . . . both words are used interchangeably . . . that's why some folks would refer to Eminem as an MC . . . "MC" in the sense that he spins words behind the mic . . . and yes, he says stuff that'll make you say "did you hear that"?? or "did he just say that"?? I swear if I take the pains to go through lyrics by Lil' Wayne and Soulja Boi, I'll sight plenty of such wow stuff . . . the fact that Eminem spits a plethora of such words does not make him an MC . . . it just makes him a good rapper.

When talking from the surface, you can refer to Eminem as an MC . . . no one would bat an eyelid . . . but in its true context, he ain't even close to being an MC . . .

The difference between such passing reference and the real deal is like the difference between the generic term a "Man"  . . . and the descriptive word a "Man" . . .

Whilst the former refers to a human being of the male specie . . . the latter could refer to anybody, even a woman, with brawn/strength.
Re: Favourite Rap Lines By Nigerian Rappers by slimshay(m): 5:44pm On Aug 11, 2009
@ Bamsyle, its nice to having you talking unadulterated intelligence again, abeg, no be yab oh, jus saw that you diverted to yabbing people on the forum, after u kinda anihilated bombsquad in the 'tu-fraud- thread. but before i begin to accept that 'the eminems' (by the way my favorite rapper) aint a real 'emcee', then the parameters and yardstciks against which they will be scored have to be clearly spelt out. but then again who draws up the parametres. Kinda felt the crowd mover thing you were trying to describe but than, most often than not there is one dominant mood in a concert, presentation, gig and whatnot, euphoria, unless of course someone totally lame is on the mic. So in the spirit of the moment, game tells evrybody to shout 'f**k jay-z', as i see it he seizes the moment, he is yet to put them in a mind state of resentment against jay-z and whatever it is he stands for. most probably there are more jigga lovers in the crowd than jigga haters. so in this context is Game a real emcee? even though some may question the education, upliftment e.tc. in his lyrics.
Re: Favourite Rap Lines By Nigerian Rappers by Rhymstein(m): 6:01pm On Aug 11, 2009
@bamsyle
ride on mane.I enjoy ur analysis,
Re: Favourite Rap Lines By Nigerian Rappers by ofokasibe: 7:20pm On Aug 11, 2009
is it sauron that this prince 82 idiot is insulting like this??, does this mofo know sauron''s cv around here?? shocked shocked
Re: Favourite Rap Lines By Nigerian Rappers by Bamsyle(m): 7:35pm On Aug 11, 2009
slimshay:

@ Bamsyle, its nice to having you talking unadulterated intelligence again, abeg, no be yab oh, jus saw that you diverted to yabbing people on the forum, after u kinda anihilated bombsquad in the 'tu-fraud- thread.

Hehe . . . thanks mahn . . . but really, "yabbing people"?? . . . no, I only reacted to a thread that was set up for the sole purpose of tearing down a man's hardwork . . . it's the law of retribution - you sow the wind, you reap the whirlwind . . . and y'know that some peops tend to bring out the worst in you . . . I didn't wanna do that really . . .  smiley

but before i begin to accept that 'the eminems' (by the way my favorite rapper) aint a real 'emcee', then the parameters and yardstciks against which they will be scored have to be clearly spelt out.

The line, like I said earlier, is thin . . . it's like the fine line between a sage and an orator . . . the former speaks wise words . . . the latter speaks wisely . . . the former speaks to uplift/exhort . . . the latter speaks to impress . . .

But if you ask me for one, just one difference between the two . . . I'll immediately tell you that I'm certain the latter consults the former to hone his skills . . .

And I must say, I ain't no Hip-Hop head (my tongue fingers is are sore from saying typing that) . . . but everything I say here is based on my observations/reading . . .

That said, a rapper is someone who makes a career out of rhyming with words . . . that's his business, his vocation, his calling . . .

A good rapper is as simple as it sounds - he is someone who is good at "rhyming with words" . . . he takes things to the next level - he spins words, with that extra edge of creativity . . . the multies, the wordplay, the similes, the metas . . . and everything in between.

Letz look at it this way - anyone can be an entrepreneur . . . with the major tools of production (capital, labour et al), Tom or Harry can venture into business . . . but then not everyone can be a good entrepreneur . . . without the expertise, exposure, knowledge, information . . . even branding/packaging, etc required to survive in today's business world, Tom or Harry would eventually crash out of business.

That's how it goes with Rap Music . . . a good rapper spits impressively . . . he showcases his skills . . . on stage, he makes goose pimples appear on skins . . . his wordplay is amazing, his delivery intact . . . he employs multies, metas, and all the other elements of a good rapper, to deliver his verses . . . I swear he can even say simple things and make you stand on your feet . . . Why?? He's great with words - he's like an orator . . . he's like 'em new-age preachers or public speakers - the wisecracks, the drama, the gestures, the showmanship . . . even the cadence and the rhythm.

His major objective is to impress.

An MC is the raw embodiment of the Hip Hop Culture . . . he is the Rabbi . . . with or without the showmanship . . . he doesn't even need to rap, he might stand in front of a crowd and deliver a written speech . . . without beats . . . but something deep down within you connects to him . . . something is stirred from deep within your soul . . . he's like a sage - he speaks words mainly to educate, inform, enlighten, uplift, inspire . . . he's like a teacher . . . as against a preacher.

but then again who draws up the parametres. Kinda felt the crowd mover thing you were trying to describe but than, most often than not there is one dominant mood in a concert, presentation, gig and whatnot, euphoria, unless of course someone totally lame is on the mic. So in the spirit of the moment, game tells evrybody to shout 'f**k jay-z', as i see it he seizes the moment, he is yet to put them in a mind state of resentment against jay-z and whatever it is he stands for. most probably there are more jigga lovers in the crowd than jigga haters. so in this context is Game a real emcee? even though some may question the education, upliftment e.tc. in his lyrics.

Who draws the parameters?? Hmn . . . I don't know . . . it's more of a mind-search thing . . . it's in the subconscious . . . it's one of those things that peops kinda settle with the passage of time . . . and when measuring opinion in this regard, we hear things like "the Hip-Hop Community" - more often than not, this "Hip-Hop Community" ain't no particular/defined group of people within a defined geographical setting . . . such opinions are not even gathered/collected.

Yes, the predominant mood in a concert is that of excitement (hope I got you right??) . . . but when I mean an MC controls the mood, I mean he almost literally carries his audience along with every level of his ministration . . . he makes his audience cry, laugh, and do everything in between . . .  the audience would pay more attention to the rapper's showmanship, skills, delivery . . . same audience would pay rapt attention to what the MC is saying . . . his words are usually convoluted . . . swallow for one sec and you might miss volumes.

The Game?? A very good rapper . . . not an MC . . .

And I need to explain - a rapper who jumps on stage and tells everyone to "wave they hands in the air" or "shake what they mama gave 'em" is not "moving the crowd" . . . he's only telling the audience to do a particular thing at a particular time . . . most peops might even do that thing without any iota of confidence/belief in what he's asking them to do . . .

An MC would get on stage and speak a word . . . and without telling you what to do, he'll set the atmosphere for you to do it . . . "moving the crowd", like I said earlier, is one point of the schizto anyway.

Hope I tried . . .  wink

Rhymstein:

@bamsyle
ride on mane.I enjoy ur analysis,

Thanks bruv.
Re: Favourite Rap Lines By Nigerian Rappers by Sauron1: 7:45pm On Aug 11, 2009
ofokasibe:

is it sauron that this prince 82 idiot is insulting like this??, does this mofo know sauron''s cv around here?? shocked shocked

Ofoka, you need to go to visionexpress. . . . .
Where are my beats? U don't want me to get on your case.
Send those beats ASAP.
Re: Favourite Rap Lines By Nigerian Rappers by rapjunkie(m): 8:10pm On Aug 11, 2009
~Sauron~:

Ofoka, you need to go to visionexpress. . . . .

grin
Re: Favourite Rap Lines By Nigerian Rappers by Sauron1: 8:22pm On Aug 11, 2009
@ Prince82,

There's no need to turn this place to a battle-zone.
Personally, i am enjoying the debate and i am 100% sure Eminem and Canibus are grade A emcees.
Emcees don't come better than Eminem. . . . . . .

Kool Moe Dee(One of the biggest hip-hop pioneers) released a book in 2003: There's A God On The Mic
He explained the criteria of evaluating an MC. . . .What distinguishes an MC from a RAPPER.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Battle Skills
Battle skills are about the combination of wit and attack. Attack and set yourself up as the pinnacle, and create threats. It has to do with not only lyrical skills, but also the ability to be witty, funny, and to insult.

Body of Work
Based on the sum total of the artists work and the level of excellence in that work.

Concepts
Regarding MCs for their ability to paint pictures and concepts that are multi-dimensional, and who conceptualize on an album, or during their career.

Flow
Flow has a lot to do with syncopation, how an artist’s cadence flows in and out of multiple records, beats, or tempos.  Those artists who are most versatile with their flow, or that have a flow that absolutely sucks people in get higher scores.

Flavor
This is about an artist’s ability to break out, have fun, and have some kind of signature energy to their rhyme style.

Freestyle
This rates an MCs ability to be able to come off the top of their head with rhymes, spontaneously, on any given subject.

Industry Impact
Industry impact has to do with Grammies, music awards, radio airplay, all the things that the ‘streets’ frowned on at one point, but was very, very necessary for the Hip-Hop game to become the integral part of the music business that it is now.

Live Performance
Lots of MCs make great records, lots of MCs travel around and do rhymes, but when it comes down to doing a performance live, lots of MCs fall short.

Longevity
Recognizes those who can last long in the chaos and confusion known as the music business.

Lyrics
Lyrics, otherwise known as an MC's paradise, are the reason all MCs started rhyming; it’s the essence of the MC.

Originality
How original is the MC? Did the MC create anything or bring anything new to the game that wasn’t there before?

Poetic Value
A lot of MCs rhyme, but don’t add poetic value where the metaphor itself or the story within the metaphor is actually profound.

Social Impact
Recognizes and rewards artists who try to better the community, better the environment, and better the country.

Substance
Rewards MCs whose albums have some kind of social relevance or meaning.

Versatility
Rewards artists that have a range of work that varies and who experiment with their rhymes.

Vocabulary
An artist must be able to utilize vocabulary, and that doesn’t mean that you have to constantly inundate the audience with big words, but as Big Daddy Kane once said, “It’s alright to send someone to the dictionary every now and then.”

Vocal Presence
This category looks at how recognizable an artists voice is the moment someone hears it on a record.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Looking at the criteria, i am bold to say Canibus and Eminem exude the qualities of an EMCEE more than most cats out there.
Re: Favourite Rap Lines By Nigerian Rappers by eldee(m): 10:30pm On Aug 11, 2009
DBR:

Im beginin to doubt ur cognitive prowess, honestly. Nev said u dont argue wit 'em dudes. im askin on this thread right now, Bamsyl' comment came late, y didnt u point that out, and Saurone's, and not related to the topic which is "fav. 9ja lines" but cos their point "gels" wit u, they can go on? , and i'm cool wit 'em both. Movin on,
I referred that dude to the other thread because the whole argument had taken place there already
I pointed out that flaw on this thread bout a month or two ago and someone created a thread for it . . .
I'd already posted my counter arguments on the other thread and I don't see why I should post them again just because he's too slow to get it??

DBR:

I NEVA said that, u cant even quote me on that so take a deep breath, ok.
If u arent so arrogant wit ur knowledge, thinkin u kno e'rthin u wld understand i wasnt talkin bout mere words.
Even a lil' bride's maid knows wat cofetti is so stop being silly. Nobody owns any word, but if we follow ur parochial view then no one
not even Jz shud be called a biter, except in ur thinkin it's only verbatim usage that qaulifies as biting.
Plus, i neva said Mi bit or bites M9, for the umpteenth time all i said was INFLUENCE,
the part influence as againt biting that the all knowin eldee doesnt get still beats me.

This is why I've keep telling you guys to cook your own beef . . . I was arguing with Dejiariyo who said 'M.I jacked Modenine's lyrics'
I don't live in Brooklyn but I do know what Cam'ron means when he says Jay-Z jacked Biggie's lyrics

And you kep saying u'r not referring to words . . . what other context can you apply words like 'Java', 'hypochondria'and 'echleon'??
These words are synonymous with specific features the same way saying 'black and blue' can only be used to describe battering.
You cannot prove that Modenine influenced MI just by posting pairs of lines that mean nothing . . .

M.I used the word 'oesophagus' and sum person came here to say that's influenced by Modenine's application of 'psycophagus'
Come on . . . You even go one to say phrases like 'bubble gum rap' was influenced by Modenine?? You see why I say you guys need to broaden your knowledge??
For God's sake, these are words people use in everyday conversation. . .
Re: Favourite Rap Lines By Nigerian Rappers by slimshay(m): 7:35am On Aug 12, 2009
@ sauron, thank you for answering my question. i think a thread ought to be created to rate rappers on them parameters, but then again na looong tin oh. u can begin to imagine the arguments that will result from someone like javalove's rating for modenine? anyways thanks all the same.
modenine, m.i, influence, jacking, oesophagus, psychophagus, una don derail this thread enuff oh!, my 2cents still free,
Re: Favourite Rap Lines By Nigerian Rappers by lalaboi(m): 9:14am On Aug 12, 2009
Barmsyle

Dont post IT again. . .it'll show up soon. . . .If you post am again you'l get banned . . . . automatically
Re: Favourite Rap Lines By Nigerian Rappers by Bamsyle(m): 9:17am On Aug 12, 2009
Hehe . . . na 'them' sabi o . . . whether 'they' like it or not, I've posted ma piece . . .

Aiight . . . thanks mahn . . . I know the peops behind the schizto . . .  smiley wink

slimshay:

@ Bamsyle, its nice to having you talking unadulterated intelligence again, abeg, no be yab oh, jus saw that you diverted to yabbing people on the forum, after u kinda anihilated bombsquad in the 'tu-fraud- thread.

I already replied ya . . . my post was deleted . . . anyways . . . a recap:  (grin)

Thanks, but "yabbing people"?? Nah, I don't do that - but it's a natural law that when you sow the wind, you reap the whirlwind . . . the dude set up a thread to destroy someone's hardwork . . . and he got what he asked for - period.

but before i begin to accept that 'the eminems' (by the way my favorite rapper) aint a real 'emcee', then the parameters and yardstciks against which they will be scored have to be clearly spelt out.

I didn't say Eminem ain't a "real emcee" . . . I said he's not an MC . . . I know he's your fave rapper . . . I can see it in ya moniker . . .  grin grin

And again I say there's a thin line between an MC and a Rapper . . . it's like the difference between a sage and an orator - while the former speaks wise words, the latter speaks 'wisely' (note the inverted commas) . . . the former speaks to educate, enlighten, and inform . . . the latter speaks (mostly) to impress . . .

And if you ask me what the difference is between a sage and an orator . . . I'll immediately tell ya that I'm certain the latter takes lessons from the former to hone his skills . . .

The parameters?? Not sure they're written . . . or can even be elaborately written . . . it's something that's deep . . . it's in the subconscious . . . something tells you this dude rocking the mic before your very eyes eats, breathes, and lives Hip-Hop . . . he drops amazing knowledge . . . he's like a Book to be read and understood . . .

but then again who draws up the parametres.

I always make haste to say that I ain't no Hip-Hop head . . . so most def'ly I'm not amongst those that can draw the parameters . . . it's some kind of a general consensus thingy . . . it's like saying "the Hip-Hop Community" and stuffs like that . . . who are the peops in this Hip-Hop Community?? Apart from the execs and other stakeholders, most other peops are faceless . . .

Kinda felt the crowd mover thing you were trying to describe but than, most often than not there is one dominant mood in a concert, presentation, gig and whatnot, euphoria, unless of course someone totally lame is on the mic.

Yes I agree . . . there's a dominant mood in a concert or gig . . . that of excitement (hope I got ya??) . . . but you'll agree with me that this mood can vary, depending on the theme of each song being performed . . . a rapper can change the mood of a gig . . . an MC would control that mood - he'll not only make you cry and laugh, he'll make you do every other thing in between . . .

An MC is a Rabbi . . . a Teacher of the Gospel according to Hip-Hop . . . he's different from a Rapper who's akin to a preacher . . . what does the preacher do?? He delivers the gospel with fervour and great gusto . . . he stirs up 'commotion' . . . half the time you ain't compelled to listen to what he's saying . . . it's mostly showtime . . . but the teacher?? He takes you into his world . . . he kicks knowledge and information into your soul . . . he delivers in-depth knowledge of his subject . . .

So in the spirit of the moment, game tells evrybody to shout 'f**k jay-z', as i see it he seizes the moment, he is yet to put them in a mind state of resentment against jay-z and whatever it is he stands for. most probably there are more jigga lovers in the crowd than jigga haters. so in this context is Game a real emcee? even though some may question the education, upliftment e.tc. in his lyrics.

The Game?? A good rapper . . . a great lyricist . . . can't call him an MC . . .

Aiight, the Game jumps on the stage and instructs his audience to shout "Bleep Jay-Z" . . . what has he done?? He has only asked his audience to do a particular thing at a particular time . . . he ain't controlling that audience by doing that . . . by "control" I mean when someone takes charge of/dictates events . . . he doesn't need to tell you to do a thing . . . he creates the atmosphere for you to do that thing . . .

Anyways, I said it before and I'll say it again - "Moving the Crowd" is even one point of the whole schizto . . .

The MC?? His words are convoluted and elevated . . . he ain't on the same pedestal with rappers . . . he's the raw embodiment of Hip-Hop . . . it's like the setting for worshippers in the Old Testament . . . there was the Outer Court, the Inner Room, and the Holy of Holies . . . rappers occupy the first . . . good rappers occupy the second . . . MCs occupy the last.

BTW, I wonder what the fuss is about being referred to as a rapper or an MC . . . I can't remember saying that one is better than the other . . . one calling is just different from the other, simple . . . it's like comparing a preacher and a teacher . . . both have different callings . . . however, one calling is overpopulated and the other is classy . . . cheesy grin

Slimshay, have you read Kool Moe Dee's "There's A God On The Mic"?? It's KMD's "hip-hop report card" . . . he rated MCs based on 17 different parameters, ranging from lyricism, longevity, freestyling ability . . . to vocabulary, body of work, and social impact . . . it lists the "true 50 greatest MCs" . . . and honestly, though I agree with some names on his list, I disagree with some . . . it's a man's POV anyway, so what can I do?? Every MC has his list (written or unwritten) of favourite MCs . . .

It lists artistes like Rakim, KRS-One, Notorious BIG, Kool G Rap, Daddy Kane, Lauryn Hill, Queen Latifah, MC Lyte, Meth, GZA, Pac, Common, Guru, Black Thought, etc . . .

Ain't it instructive however that with all the 17 different indices by which all these artistes were rated, this list excludes Canibus and Eminem??
Re: Favourite Rap Lines By Nigerian Rappers by Rhymstein(m): 10:35am On Aug 12, 2009
@bamsyl
on point again.
@prince
abt crowd moving.Could Nas move the crowd when he came to naija.Did u see wot nelly did?Got d crowd blowin up.Because majority of nigerians are used to his kind of rap.Why mode doesnt move every crowd is cos they are not used to his kind of rap.If eminem comes to nigeria.He wont move half of d crowd.So why does his delivery not come into question?If mode has bad delivery then rick ross,krs one,methodman,craigmac got bad delivery.No review has ever questioned his delivery.Wot makes a good delivery?Does mode slip of beat?U guys jst believe u knw it all.Cos u dont lyk his voice makes his delivry bad.I bet dj zeez wil get d crowd movin ere n eminem wil be dullin, Nigerians wan party
Re: Favourite Rap Lines By Nigerian Rappers by Bamsyle(m): 11:23am On Aug 12, 2009
Rhymstein:

@bamsyl
on point again.

Thanks bruv . . .

Though I ain't here to discuss the "influence"/"jacking" schizto, I might as well drop a line or two . . . Eldee keeps blaming Mode's fans for ascribing certain words to Modenine . . . why's he blaming 'em?? I wonder what he's got to say about someone who thinks words like "ninny" and expressions like "you don't count in me books" are his prerogative?? grin grin

BTW, I saw the latter part of your post . . . I'll advise that you ignore small-time/unreasonable posters . . . it's not every poster you oughtta give the benefit of your reply . . . smiley
Re: Favourite Rap Lines By Nigerian Rappers by Sauron1: 11:40am On Aug 12, 2009
slimshay:

@ sauron, thank you for answering my question. i think a thread ought to be created to rate rappers on them parameters, but then again na looong tin oh. u can begin to imagine the arguments that will result from someone like javalove's rating for modenine? anyways thanks all the same.
modenine, m.i, influence, jacking, oesophagus, psychophagus, una don derail this thread enuff oh!, my 2cents still free,

Rating rappers on these parameters shouldn't be an ambiguous task. . . .
It is what anyone can do mentally. . . . .The majority of the big cats in the rap game will fail if we apply these parameters to judge them cos 80% of them have never battled.

Now back to Eminem. . . . .His issue was discussed at length on KMD's book. . . . . Rap pioneers attempted to see if he was another plonker who is here to claim his 15 minutes of MTV-generated fame as a black male impersonator like Vanilla Ice - who deliberately crafted a false, 'from-the streets' image in the early 90s to sell more records.

In the end, they concluded Eminem is a nigga and is potentially more BLACK than many of the middle-class and wealthy black people who live in mainstream white society today. They admitted his presentation is infused with authenticity because he lived in Nigga neighbourhoods and listened to Nigga music and learned Nigga culture - and the integrity of his performance does not attempt mimicry.

Finally. . . . .It is also worth noting that KMD recognises Eminem as the most well rounded EMCEE in 2002/3. On page 342 he wrote. . . . .

Eminem, DMX, Canibus, Mos Def, etc are truly tighter than a lot of the [top-50 MCs on my list] but because they all hit form in 98/99, they would lose too many points in longevity and ultimately it wouldn't be fair on their scores.

In other words, KMD recognises Eminem and Canibus as MCs.
Re: Favourite Rap Lines By Nigerian Rappers by slimshay(m): 1:04pm On Aug 12, 2009
@ bamysle: maybe i should get that book sha, ws kinda surprised when you said eminem wasnt on the list, cos truly looking at them parameters Em totally gets huge marks in most of them if not all, thats until sauron cleared the 'misunderstanding'. so that brings me back to defending eminem, maybe you could grade eminem on them parameters (truthfully though, this aint the thread for that), and add just one line why you've given him that score, i know u are up to it, smiley, iwe ni e (u b intelligent fella). I hope you dont look for sauron's trouble with ur grades sha. grin
@ sauron, thank you oh, i've always told people than eminem is blacker than most negroes. And his application of 'their' music is even better than theirs (application) really. choose any mainstream black rapper and they would flaunt in their gradings accrding to these parametrs (IMO).
Re: Favourite Rap Lines By Nigerian Rappers by Bamsyle(m): 1:35pm On Aug 12, 2009
slimshay:

. . . i think a thread ought to be created to rate rappers on them parameters, but then again na looong tin oh. u can begin to imagine the arguments that will result . . .

Exactly me sentiments . . .

Aiight, letz continue from where we stopped . . .

First off, Kool Moe Dee's "There's A God On The Mic" was not an attempt at distinguishing between an MC and a Rapper . . . KMD simply did one thing in the book - he rated 'MCs' (reference here meaning "all rappers", including the likes of Flo-rida and Soulja Boi) on parameters coined in a bid to separate "dope" or "first-class" rappers from the good, the ok, and the not-so-good-but-overrated-anyway ones (the ones we refer to as wack MCs) . . .

As I stated earlier, the words "rapper" and "MC" are sometimes used interchangeably to refer to one thing - an artiste who performs Rap Music . . . have you ever heard of the term "Wack MC"?? Or "Sucka MC"?? Now, going by the furore, even angst ( cheesy) being generated by my modest definition of an MC, should such terms exist?? I don't think so . . .

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, being an MC (in its true sense) is a calling . . . just like being a Rapper is . . . I ain't saying the MC is better than the Rapper . . . just that MCs have a class of they own . . . they occupy a higher echelon in Hip-Hop's Temple . . . it's not a calling for all-comers . . .  cheesy

That said, have you listened to "Classic" (feat. Kanye West, Nas, Rakim, and KRS-One)?? I especially love the high point of KRS-One's verse:

"This is the difference between MC-ing and rap
Rappers spit rhymes that are mostly illegal
MCs spit rhymes to uplift they people
"

If there's a human face to the Ministry called "MC-ing" (in the true sense of the word) . . . it's KRS-One.

Oh BTW, I urge you to read KMD's book . . . even if it's for the fun of it . . . I'm cock-sure you'll come back here to ask why the list of "The True 50 Greatest MCs" parades names like Lil' Kim, Mystikal, Mack 10 . . . and Fat Joe . . . but only discusses Eminem and Canibus . . . outside of that list.
Re: Favourite Rap Lines By Nigerian Rappers by Rhymstein(m): 2:36pm On Aug 12, 2009
@prince
nah,i aint obssesed.U r d one obsessed wiv eminem.Mode is nt evn my best rapper.Am jst pointing out ur bias conclusions. n i c nuffin wrong wiv his delivery.If u lyk rappers wit light voice.I lyk d ones wiv deep voice.

U ppl come ere.Argue unnecessarily,leads to insults.Then u can now exhibit ur skill in battling,then u start to diss.Uhm gud strategy for publicity
Re: Favourite Rap Lines By Nigerian Rappers by Sauron1: 5:17pm On Aug 12, 2009
Prince 82 and Bamsyle,

Don't let the mods lock this thread.
Can't we have a normal debate without cursing?
Sheeeeeeeeeesh. . . . . . .Enjoy the debate, contribute to it and skip the insults. . . .
Re: Favourite Rap Lines By Nigerian Rappers by lalaboi(m): 6:25pm On Aug 17, 2009
*****STick to the topic*******Will not allow a repeat what happened earlier**** . . . .Thanks . . . .

@Topic

A grown man, And still they kid me
So am working hard, making peas lik a kidney

Midnite - Money Ft ace Big D, Dee . . . . .all young chaps and nigerian!!
Re: Favourite Rap Lines By Nigerian Rappers by DBR: 6:41pm On Aug 17, 2009
No pen no pad im mentally typin this/
im bigger than the Chairman no hypin it/
no Heineken on the table me n ma crew we Moetin/
a Pro with the Prose so eloquent lyrically Poeting/
lifting n coping the Chics like im runnin a Poultry/- dAvenchy-Overkillin' rmx

"Fans got me thinkin im from Plateau the way i drop Jaws"-dAvenchy

oNe
Re: Favourite Rap Lines By Nigerian Rappers by slimghost(m): 6:56pm On Aug 17, 2009
like a new born, the kid is fresh and so clean
that kid is not mine, so Bleep billie jean.

kid rap-----------------------Got game (heard it was a Sauce Kid diss)
Re: Favourite Rap Lines By Nigerian Rappers by Sauron1: 7:11pm On Aug 17, 2009
lalaboi:

*****Stick to the topic*******Will not allow a repeat what happened earlier**** . . . .Thanks . . . .

U should be sacked as a moderator. . . .
Lalaboi is like a Nigerian policeman. . . .U only show face after damage has been done.
Re: Favourite Rap Lines By Nigerian Rappers by lalaboi(m): 7:34pm On Aug 17, 2009
~Sauron~:

U should be sacked as a moderator. . . .
Lalaboi is like a Nigerian policeman. . . .U only show face after damage has been done.

And who says i wasnt there when the Damage was being done? . . . . .I only allowed it cos the arguements was genuine and. . . then when it turned to insults. . .It had to be locked 1st!. . . .

Next time. . . .i know what to do!
Re: Favourite Rap Lines By Nigerian Rappers by coolguyz(m): 11:41am On Aug 18, 2009
lalaboi:

And who says i wasnt there when the Damage was being done? . . . . .

sauron did smiley
Re: Favourite Rap Lines By Nigerian Rappers by slimshay(m): 12:35pm On Aug 18, 2009
lalaboi, thank you for opening the thread oh, even though i know u wont allow us continue our debate, abi we fit? grin
anyways another line:
mode steady bucking em (buckingham) like where tha palace is!, M9, EPU Intro.
Re: Favourite Rap Lines By Nigerian Rappers by khanye(m): 10:55am On Aug 29, 2009
Omo feel my swagga/
Gucci pelu Prada/
Ma fi mi we Dauda, that boy aint got no swagga/
Pali yato si paper/
Barber loba Cliper/

Dagrin - (Catiar ft. Dagrin - Owo ati Swagger Rmx)
Re: Favourite Rap Lines By Nigerian Rappers by dawhizkid1(m): 8:47pm On Aug 30, 2009
Yes, they r a likkle fly,I'm Highest like Orbit/ Make more Green than an ??(Orchard),Bleep it/,
My CD goes BOOM shakalaka Alaba/ I've been on Tours,they've never Crossed River(CROSSRIVER) like Calabar. - M.I - Somebody wants to Die.
Re: Favourite Rap Lines By Nigerian Rappers by dawhizkid1(m): 8:48pm On Aug 30, 2009
Yes, they r a likkle fly,I'm Highest like Orbit/ Make more Green than an ??(Orchard),Bleep it/,
My CD goes BOOM shakalaka Alaba/ I've been on Tours,they've never Crossed River(CROSSRIVER) like Calabar. - M.I - Somebody wants to Die.
Re: Favourite Rap Lines By Nigerian Rappers by eldee(m): 4:38pm On Aug 31, 2009
da-whizkid:

Yes, they r a likkle fly,I'm Highest like Orbit/ [b]Make more Green than an ??(Orchard),[/b]mess it/,
Make more green(money) than an orchard(fruit-tree plantation). . .
Re: Favourite Rap Lines By Nigerian Rappers by tosinaded(m): 5:43am On Sep 01, 2009
turn crossriver to wine and then call a bar(calabar) - vector

(1) (2) (3) ... (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) ... (51) (Reply)

Music: P-square - Double Trouble Full Album Download / Damino Damoche Shot Dead At LASU Gate / Headies Awards 2016: Live Updates

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 132
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.