Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,713 members, 7,816,939 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:36 PM

Violence: Again The Double Standards - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Violence: Again The Double Standards (19101 Views)

Women And Their Double Standards. / The Good Wife By Nigeria Standards (pic) / House Please Your Thoughts: How Can A Lady Lower Her Standards? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Violence: Again The Double Standards by Danhumprey: 10:13am On Sep 11, 2014
Dygeasy: I take it you're one of the large percentage of people who ignore youtube video links. undecided

Make sure you are sure of what's being talked about before plunging into it. smiley
She probably don't have MB to watch videos on Youtube or her phone isn't a smartphone or a phone that can't watch Youtube videos online. Maybe you shouldn't blame her.grin
Re: Violence: Again The Double Standards by crackhaus: 10:15am On Sep 11, 2014
Mariopgomery: I dont think his intention was to knock her out.
I believe so too, the railing on which she hit her head knocked her out.

I hear there's a new video of better quality, can anyone post that here?
I still can't see the spit y'all are talking about in the one TMZ released.
Re: Violence: Again The Double Standards by Danhumprey: 10:15am On Sep 11, 2014
MizMyColi:

Certainly not @TheEmboldened.
I do not excuse either of them expressly.
I still maintain that it was really inhumane of him to knock out a human being like that.
That's my stand.
Take for instance, the woman who forced her house help to sit on a burning gas cooker.
For all we know, she might have offended the woman gravely (or so she thought).
Does that in anyway justify the kind of treatment meted on that child, does it?
Both of them should be sorry for their disgraceful acts, but he should be more sorry for reacting to such extent.
So in essence,you will have been happy if he hasn't reacted at all?undecided

If the man has reacted in a small/insignificant way,you people will have complained. Now,he reacted to the extent that the woman passed out and yet you are still complaining,blaming him.

I don't gerrit!

1 Like

Re: Violence: Again The Double Standards by MizMyColi(f): 10:26am On Sep 11, 2014
Danhumprey: So in essence,you will have been happy if he hasn't reacted at all?undecided

If the man has reacted in a small/insignificant way,you people will have complained. Now,he reacted to the extent that the woman passed out and yet you are still complaining,blaming him.

I don't gerrit!
Even in anger, moderation is key.
Re: Violence: Again The Double Standards by Danhumprey: 10:27am On Sep 11, 2014
zeb04: yeh that's it.he fought back(he retaliated) he wasnt trying to defend himself. There are certain ways things shld be handled. No matter how we try to downplay it,he was wrong(she was wrong to) and they shld both face the consequence.

I am not trying to be biased BT I don't knockout someone and I call it defense.
You know what? Your shorthand typing suck! And worst of all,you are not making sense! So.....

4 Likes

Re: Violence: Again The Double Standards by Richiy(f): 10:29am On Sep 11, 2014
Everybody deserves to be treated with respect. Male or female.
Re: Violence: Again The Double Standards by Danhumprey: 10:30am On Sep 11, 2014
MizMyColi:
When the woman was angry and misbehaving and doing all sort of things to the man,did she considered that moderation is key? You sound like a feminist who has one or two grievances against the male folks,because from your comments,you've been mainly focusing on the man,targetting him,scrutinising his action.

3 Likes

Re: Violence: Again The Double Standards by MizMyColi(f): 10:37am On Sep 11, 2014
Hey!
Why picking on me?
Did you bother going through my posts at all?
Puhleeeaaze undecided

Who cares if perpetrator and victim are all men or all women or from different sides of the divide?
It was wrong and inhumane to leave a human being that way.

Danhumprey: When the woman was angry and misbehaving and doing all sort of things to the man,did she considered that moderation is key? You sound like a feminist who has one or two grievances against the male folks,because from your comments,you've been mainly focusing on the man,targetting him,scrutinising his action.
Re: Violence: Again The Double Standards by Nobody: 10:38am On Sep 11, 2014
Double standards indeed.
The same set of people shouting don't hit first will be same folks hitting on their kids, housemaid etc.

If you condone the Mr Rice hitting back then you are as good as supporting violence.

When a violence is done, using violence to solve it makes it a circle.
When you are hit, it's better you move away from the situation than hitting back.

Get away from the source of problem esp humans than eradicating it.

Lol at self defense, you call that knockout blow self defense?

6 Likes

Re: Violence: Again The Double Standards by Mariopgomery(m): 10:39am On Sep 11, 2014
I think its only a matter of time before things go bad for women again. Men would soon realize they have been played by this so called feminist and their double standards. Men would soon start educating their sons not to take bullshit from women.

3 Likes

Re: Violence: Again The Double Standards by Arsenate(m): 10:50am On Sep 11, 2014
Mariopgomery: I think its only a matter of time before things go bad for women again. Men would soon realize they have been played by this so called feminist and their double standards. Men would soon start educating their sons not to take bullshit from women.
yeah. if things continue the way they are things are gonna change; bad for the ladies for sure. men will soon start kicking assss. its obvious the ladies don't want equality. they just want to eat their cake and have it. we (men) create these laws in the first place....we have had enough it and there is need for amendments.
kick assess will soon be the order of the day. let's see who loses.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Violence: Again The Double Standards by Dygeasy(m): 10:52am On Sep 11, 2014
Danhumprey: She probably don't have MB to watch videos on Youtube or her phone isn't a smartphone or a phone that can't watch Youtube videos online. Maybe you shouldn't blame her.grin
gringringrin
Re: Violence: Again The Double Standards by crackhaus: 10:59am On Sep 11, 2014
Chillisauce: Double standards indeed.
The same set of people shouting don't hit first will be same folks hitting on their kids, housemaid etc.
Cynical opinion.

If you condone the Mr Rice hitting back then you are as good as supporting violence.
Depends on how you look at it.

When you are hit, it's better you move away from the situation than hitting back.
Now you're sounding hypocritical, I prefer the cynical opinion above.
If you're been honest with yourself, you know that moving away is not as easy as you make it seem.

Knockout blow? not really. Self defence? not really as well.
You're both right and wrong.

He wanted to stop her from advancing towards him, he also wanted to hit her...he didn't make a fist from what I saw (someone correct me here), he basically hit her face in an 'intentional-defensive-get-away-from-me-woman-fashion'.
She lost balance (because she was definitely tipsy or high, going by the way she was walking outside the elevator), and hit her head on the inner railing of the elevator. This is what knocked her out, not the contact with his hand.

4 Likes

Re: Violence: Again The Double Standards by Dygeasy(m): 10:59am On Sep 11, 2014
cococandy: Like I said before in the other thread,I think they both got served.
She tasted near death
And he's tasting near career loss.
Seems sort of fair to me.

If she'd passed out for some days longer,it would have been fairest.
So that she can learn to keep her hands to herself in future when having a misunderstanding.

Why spit on him? To me that's unforgivable.
I'll never live with someone who's ever spat at me. That's what you do to disgusting shiit n scum.
I find it weird she's living with someone who disgusts her.

Now she's forming repentance.
Well I'm sure it'll be a while before she hits someone again.
Him too.
Please spam this thread with this post. They don't seem to get it.
Re: Violence: Again The Double Standards by crackhaus: 11:04am On Sep 11, 2014
greatgod2012: This is my stand..............

Honestly, it's a show of total disrespect, indiscipline, mannerlessness, rudeness and gross arrogancy on the part of a woman to hit his man first.
Violence should not be caused by anyone, be it man or woman, let there always be mutual respect.
What is good for the goose is also good for the gander.
It is a gross hypocrisy when we say a man should not hit a woman but turn a blind eye when it is the other way round.
Let's be objective please.
Not supporting a man hitting his woman, as well as a woman hitting his man.
IF YOU DON'T WANT TO BE HIT, DON'T HIT FIRST.......
To add to that, DON'T THROW INSULTS AT YOUR MAN EITHER AND EXPECT HIM TO EXHIBIT SELF CONTROL....the same self control the woman cursing obviously lacks.

4 Likes

Re: Violence: Again The Double Standards by Dygeasy(m): 11:08am On Sep 11, 2014
MizMyColi:

I still maintain that it was really inhumane of him to knock out a human being like that.
That's my stand.

Take for instance, the woman who forced her house help to sit on a burning gas cooker.

Both of them should be sorry for their disgraceful acts, but he should be more sorry for reacting to such extent.
The example you're citing doesn't quite follow the issue here.

The househelp analogy; her mistress knew fully well what a burning stove would do irrespective of her level of anger.

If you slap me and I punch you back, my punch could either break your jaw or scatter some teeth or do both. I didn't determine that. I don't think Mr. Rice intended to knock her out.

We have people studying psychology. Objectivity is the key in discussing this issue.

1 Like

Re: Violence: Again The Double Standards by Nobody: 11:15am On Sep 11, 2014
Chillisauce: Double standards indeed.
i also wonder too. When they know that a woman's hit can never be compared to a man's. Yes we all know she did wrong. I dont know if it has been considered that women has natural fear thus tend to know where to draw the line esp. With loved ones unlike a man who would beat as though he is beating a fellow man. Is it to proove to men that they are gender unbias that they will come back and tell men it is ok to beat their women if she hit first after telling them it is a no no to beating women. If you look at the other thread you will see women started applauding Ray Rice when men where against his act before the men started following suit. I am still wondering if they can still confidently say it was ok to hit back had the woman died.
Re: Violence: Again The Double Standards by MizMyColi(f): 11:19am On Sep 11, 2014
Let's just say:
She got served.
Dygeasy: The example you're citing doesn't quite follow the issue here.

The househelp analogy; her mistress knew fully well what a burning stove would do irrespective of her level of anger.

If you slap me and I punch you back, my punch could either break your jaw or scatter some teeth or do both. I didn't determine that. I don't think Mr. Rice intended to knock her out.

We have people studying psychology. Objectivity is the key in discussing this issue.
Re: Violence: Again The Double Standards by Nobody: 11:21am On Sep 11, 2014
crackhaus:
Cynical opinion.

Depends on how you look at it.

Now you're sounding hypocritical, I prefer the cynical opinion above.
If you're been honest with yourself, you know that moving away is not as easy as you make it seem.

Knockout blow? not really. Self defence? not really as well.
You're both right and wrong.

He wanted to stop her from advancing towards him, he also wanted to hit her...he didn't make a fist from what I saw (someone correct me here), he basically hit her face in an 'intentional-defensive-get-away-from-me-woman-fashion'.
She lost balance (because she was definitely tipsy or high, going by the way she was walking outside the elevator), and hit her head on the inner railing of the elevator. This is what knocked her out, not the contact with his hand.

That's where self control comes in. If you think moving away ain't easy, try knocking out someone who ends up being dead.
She poked or spit on him outside the elevator, he didn't do anything but waited until they got inside the elevator before hitting her.

I don't support whatever she did, but he would have done himself good to walk away from her.
What happens if she ended being dead,you think with the video coverage he would have exonerated himself?

Funny thing is that people like this are attracted to one another. But the society can't keep a blind eye to it. Something must be done to stop the rage and that is using someone as scape goat.

Self control.
Re: Violence: Again The Double Standards by Nobody: 11:24am On Sep 11, 2014
Floodgater: i also wonder too. When they know that a woman's hit can never be compared to a man's. Yes we all know she did wrong. I dont know if it has been considered that women has natural fear thus tend to know where to draw the line esp. With loved ones unlike a man who would beat as though he is beating a fellow man. Is it to proove to men that they are gender unbias that they will come back and tell men it is ok to beat their women if she hit first after telling them it is a no no to beating women. If you look at the other thread you will see women started applauding Ray Rice when men where against his act before the men started following suit. I am still wondering if they can still confidently say it was ok to hit back had the woman died.

In a sane society, even when a man fights their fellow men, they are punished for it, then you wonder why there won't be some sort of punishment for someone who almost killed another and tagging it as self defense. Self defense from what? Spit ?undecided
Re: Violence: Again The Double Standards by Dygeasy(m): 11:25am On Sep 11, 2014
MizMyColi: Let's just say:
She got served.
In MizMyColi's textstyle, "That sums it up" grin cool

2 Likes

Re: Violence: Again The Double Standards by Nobody: 11:27am On Sep 11, 2014
Huh? I read somewhere that he spat on her first before she reacted and spat back. shocked maybe I read wrong hmmnnn
Re: Violence: Again The Double Standards by Phut(f): 11:28am On Sep 11, 2014
aisha2: A few months ago I did a post on the Jay Z Solange elevator scandal, unfortunately the tsunami wiped it off.

Now with the Ray Rice issue the issue of double standards is glaring.

A woman attacks a man, he fights back and he is the criminal. Same thing would have happened to Jay Z if he hit back.

Women should not go around hitting men because they have the weaker se-x card same way men should not go around hitting women adults should handle conflicts like adults.

If anyone behaves like a thug man or woman then they have brought on themselves treatelment reserves for thugs.
If a woman feels slapping or hitting a man is the way to resolve conflicts then they should also expect slaps back.

I don't buy the smaller hands argument,abuse is more emotional than physical hitting is hitting.

All of a sudden everyone is awake and condemning this even president Obama but I didn't hear his voice when solange hit Jay Z.

We can't win the war against gender based violence if the wat is tilted to one side. Till we balance the standards and show clearly that man or woman no one has the right to go hitting another we won't win.
Violence has no gender, no gender has monopoly of being abuser or victim. Stop violence against person's let there be a universal standard for all.

Aisha, you are totally wrong. She did not spit on him. He spat on her. That was when she pushed him. This happened while he was standing beside the pillar and she was trying to get by him.
She entered the elevator and stood in the corner. He entered behind her, left all the space in the elevator and crowded her in her corner. It would seem he was warning her for pushing him and that he touched her again at this time, before things rapidly went down hill.

He was the aggressor all the way. He sprayed his spittle all over her and still had to warn her for pushing him in return? Seems like a person who expects her to cower and take any indignity that he dishes. He is a coward. Please do not use this scenario to make your double standard argument. E no enter at all

Do not watch the video on your phone. Use your laptop or any device with a big screen. You will clearly see that he was the one that spat on her before she pushed him

2 Likes

Re: Violence: Again The Double Standards by Nobody: 11:33am On Sep 11, 2014
Phut:

Aisha, you are totally wrong. She did not spit on him. He spat on her. That was when she pushed him. This happened while he was standing beside the pillar and she was trying to get by him.
She entered the elevator and stood in the corner. He entered behind her, left all the space in the elevator and crowded her in her corner. It would seem he was warning her for pushing him and that he touched her again at this time, before things rapidly went down hill.

He was the aggressor all the way. He sprayed his spittle all over her and still had to warn her for pushing him in return? Seems like a person who expects her to cower and take any indignity that he dishes. He is a coward. Please do not use this scenario to make your double standard argument. E no enter at all

Do not watch the video on your phone. Use your laptop or any device with a big screen. You will clearly see that he was the one that spat on her before she pushed him

This is what I read. Let me look for the video.
Re: Violence: Again The Double Standards by Sixix: 11:33am On Sep 11, 2014
MizMyColi:

Self defence has nothing to with moderation but it has everything to do with 'the moment' and reasonable force. For him, that action was reasonable taking into account his ability which has become a part of him hence the counter response is a pure reflex action.
Re: Violence: Again The Double Standards by Nobody: 11:39am On Sep 11, 2014
Chillisauce:

In a sane society, even when a man fights their fellow men, they are punished for it, then you wonder why there won't be some sort of punishment for someone who almost killed another and tagging it as self defense. Self defense from what? Spit ?undecided
exactly. Except for the self defence from gender insecurities here i didnt see any self defence there.
Re: Violence: Again The Double Standards by zeb04(f): 11:45am On Sep 11, 2014
Danhumprey: You know what? Your shorthand typing suck! And worst of all,you are not making sense! So.....
uncle since you know so much why not contribute to the discussion or move on.

Don't 4get this is a social site nd
I can choose to write whichever way I want.

1 Like

Re: Violence: Again The Double Standards by Nobody: 11:45am On Sep 11, 2014
Floodgater: exactly. Except for the self defence from gender insecurities here i didnt see any self defence there.

Maybe when my cat Gaya scratches me, I will give her a big kick that will make her hit herself on the wall, convulse and gets up again. If there was a video coverage to that, even the animal rights people will throw me in jail. That is how the law works.
If you don't like it, get back to the jungle .
Re: Violence: Again The Double Standards by Fkforyou(m): 11:49am On Sep 11, 2014
[quote author=MizMyColi]
Even in anger, moderation is key.[/quote
Moderation..? They are both different and so is their impact,what you might percieve as violent to him might be moderate...I don't think she was beign moderate when she was attacking him.
Re: Violence: Again The Double Standards by crackhaus: 11:52am On Sep 11, 2014
Chillisauce:

That's where self control comes in. If you think moving away ain't easy, try knocking out someone who ends up being dead.
She poked or spit on him outside the elevator, he didn't do anything but waited until they got inside the elevator before hitting her.

I don't support whatever she did, but he would have done himself good to walk away from her.
What happens if she ended being dead,you think with the video coverage he would have exonerated himself?

Funny thing is that people like this are attracted to one another. But the society can't keep a blind eye to it. Something must be done to stop the rage and that is using someone as scape goat.

Self control.
You have a point, but self control does not have an exact scale of measurement.
Many people think they have self control until they surprise themselves and end up not believing they could react a certain way.
Some men who are capable of holding back on a woman who hits them may just react when faced with verbal insults...what I'm saying is that no one can actually be sure of their self-control threshold, and it's better not to instigate a person and then blame them for not being able to control their reaction.

As for the spitting...if there was one, it was definitely inside the elevator not outside. She only smacked his face while outside.
What happened inside the elevator was just a case of overreaction by both parties.
She also made the first move on him inside the elevator, my stance is that he went overboard with the contact his hand made with her face.

He also acted like he thought she was faking passing out from the way he picked and dropped her...there were no instinctual moves by him to try to revive her.. undecided
Hmmmm, now that i think of it, so many things are wrong with this video...it's no surprise he got cut off by his team.
Re: Violence: Again The Double Standards by pickabeau1: 11:54am On Sep 11, 2014
These are two different scenarios

Have u watched the video yourself or just winging it based on versions of people

She slapped at him, a version of the video shows her spitting on him

He raised his hand.. she fell and hit the elevator railing... that knocked her out

or do you have a differing version of events

MizMyColi:

That's my stand.

Re: Violence: Again The Double Standards by crackhaus: 11:57am On Sep 11, 2014
Na wah oo, so now it's Ray who spat at her outside the elevator?
What videos are you people getting this from undecided

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

How Do l Handle My Irresponsible Father!! / Looking After Inlaws Is Not A Man Responsibility - Reno Omokri / Married Men And Women: Is It A Must You Take Dinner With Your Spouses?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.