Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,754 members, 7,817,085 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:06 AM

Amnesty International Exposes "Nigeria's Torture Chambers" - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Amnesty International Exposes "Nigeria's Torture Chambers" (40171 Views)

Nigerian Military Buried Shiite Members Alive- Amnesty International. / Unpaid Salaries: Osun Lawmakers Now Sweep Chambers / President Buhari,osinbajo Visited Council Chambers Today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Amnesty International Exposes "Nigeria's Torture Chambers" by focus7: 11:32am On Sep 19, 2014
While we condemn the heinous activities of our law enforcement agents. I will like to say that dat we don't need the opinion of a bias human right to deal with our issues in Nigeria. What they claimed happening in Nigeria is worst in some other places including d US. The last time I checked, their poor judgement led Nigeria government to make d mistake of releasing a notorious boko haram member who later masterminded the Iyanyan bomb that claimed the lives of several people and I never read or heard it anywhere that they condemn the bombing. Amnesty International is a US sponsored organisation and they suck

6 Likes

Re: Amnesty International Exposes "Nigeria's Torture Chambers" by Nobody: 11:32am On Sep 19, 2014
Dexpro:

Not at all bro........

The truth need to be told.

Amnesty International should also tell the truth on how many innocent Nigerians that boko haram has murdered and not always try to defend boko haram actions under the guise of human rights. When boko haram attacks Nigeria amnesty intl goes quiet but when the military attacks back they amnesty intl remembers human right.

4 Likes

Re: Amnesty International Exposes "Nigeria's Torture Chambers" by Symphony007: 11:32am On Sep 19, 2014
This is fact!! The nigerian police and it's likes are notorious torture experts and prolific human right abusers. Even if you see how they bring prisoners facing trial to court, you will think they were already convicted and heading to execution. It's repulsive and inhuman. Now we as a people can accept this and demand change recognizing it can happen to any of us someday or we can blame amnesty intl. For bringing it to light. Nigerians, BE WISE!!

4 Likes

Re: Amnesty International Exposes "Nigeria's Torture Chambers" by Lilaex: 11:37am On Sep 19, 2014
This reminds me of a story about how a rabbit ran into a forest and the police force of united state, russia and nigeria were called to go into the forest and look for the rabbit first the united state police went in and after a day came out and said the rabbit was not in and they left then the russians went in and after a day and some hours came out and said the same and left it was now turn of the nigerian police to go in and one hour later they came out with an antelope that they have so tortured and the antelope was crying and saying am a rabbit.!!!

6 Likes

Re: Amnesty International Exposes "Nigeria's Torture Chambers" by Nobody: 11:37am On Sep 19, 2014
Exmay: Picture of the Chamber or .............(U no the rest). And by the way can u summarize the Long Essay
Do you really have to see the chamber before you believe?
Re: Amnesty International Exposes "Nigeria's Torture Chambers" by Actionleap: 11:38am On Sep 19, 2014
Feedmemore: I thought they said all is fair in war. No? We are at war against agent of the devils parading themselves as Muslims, all necessary technique should be used to get the info needed to stop the next suicide bomb.
Feedmemore, where were you when people were hyping Beyonce? You're more beautiful than her jor! Naija babes are the hotest all over.
Re: Amnesty International Exposes "Nigeria's Torture Chambers" by omenka(m): 11:39am On Sep 19, 2014
fr3do: This is part of the scheme to dampen the efforts of the Authorities in battling boko haram.
Recolonization is just shacking some people.
I keep trying to wrap my head around how some of you guys think, and time and time again, I can't seem to find my way around it!! How does pressurising the law enforcement agencies to stop the act of torture amount to dampening their effort to fight terrorism If anything, nobodies like yourself should be happy for it cos people like you are the most likely candidates for such crimes. How many politicians have you ever heard spent days in detention and tutored without trial?? How many of them even get arrested?? At best they are "invited" and most often they don't show up!! You never can tell, the next victim could be your kith or kin.

Get some sense young man. You mustn't be a slave forever.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Amnesty International Exposes "Nigeria's Torture Chambers" by uzoexcel(m): 11:42am On Sep 19, 2014
even though some of these things r true..i really distrust the west these period....they seem to have ulterior motives?why nt showcase camerounian police and military?

his s hw they started with ghaddafi and even Assad...Maybe they should do a better reesearch on how Boko haram seem always to be able to get their hands on top class weapons off the market while the US CANT SELL TO NAIJA?
assfreak:

Wen police catch u one day and torture you for wetin you no do, then you go understand wetin dis people dey talk about. By the time dem don use hammer remove your teeth and use hot iron to disfigure ur back, you go begin dey confess tings wey you no do.
Re: Amnesty International Exposes "Nigeria's Torture Chambers" by Nobody: 11:42am On Sep 19, 2014
focus7: While we condemn the heinous activities of our law enforcement agents. I will like to say that dat we don't need the opinion of a bias human right to deal with our issues in Nigeria. What they claimed happening in Nigeria is worst in some other places including in US. The last I check their poor judgement led Nigeria government to make d mistake of releasing a notorious boko haram member who later masterminded the Iyanyan bomb that claimed the lives of several people and I never read or heard it anywhere that they condemn the bombing. Amnesty International is a US sponsored organisation and they suck

A young friend of my parents was shot by a soldier here in Nigeria.

As far as i know...no one was arrested or punished for the shooting.

In America...if you do the same...you get investigated, and you either lose your job or at the very least get suspended....and furthermore...if nothing happens...people will protest on the street.

Nothing happened for my parents friend(he was fortunate to survive the shooting).

The US is better than Nigeria...and abuses in the US does not mean that we should glss over the abuses in Nigeria (Like the 80% of prisoners in our jails awaiting trial...some over ten years).

5 Likes

Re: Amnesty International Exposes "Nigeria's Torture Chambers" by omenka(m): 11:42am On Sep 19, 2014
Arva:
Some people are just plain silly. This shouldn't be news to anybody. We all know what goes in detention facilities around the country.

2 Likes

Re: Amnesty International Exposes "Nigeria's Torture Chambers" by synergycom19: 11:47am On Sep 19, 2014
This Leftist organisation only supports the RIGHTS OF TERRORISTS, CRIMINALS AND KIDNAPPERS AS WELL AS EVIL PEOPLE GENERALLY.
They are the real Devil's advocates
Re: Amnesty International Exposes "Nigeria's Torture Chambers" by Exmay(m): 11:52am On Sep 19, 2014
Arva:
I've stopped believing everything I read in all these so called researches by foreign bodies and NGOs. A lot of them are biased towards there own personal feelings. They concort stories just to drive there points in. Pictures usually don't lie...

1 Like

Re: Amnesty International Exposes "Nigeria's Torture Chambers" by Johniyke2flex(m): 11:56am On Sep 19, 2014
No sane, conscientious or right-thinking individual would fault this report irrespective of the motive behind its release. What I see here is an issue that needs urgent attention.

2 Likes

Re: Amnesty International Exposes "Nigeria's Torture Chambers" by lolaxavier(m): 11:57am On Sep 19, 2014
sunboy: Now I can see the USA is determined to destroy this country. Just yesterday the military was complaining about the USA blocking their ways that we were blacklisted to buy arms because of human rights violations, I didn't really believed it because we can always buy from Russia, Iran, China and even India who won't wait a second to sell. Now I'm reading about human right publishing this shi.t now I believed whatever the military excuse of laundering such cash. This mu.mu human right people no see Israel on Palestine soil committing anything, the USA Guatemala bay ? The Russian KGB method which was considered the toughest? The Indians torture was sef especially their police. What the mess does the USA stands to gain from a divided or destroyed Nigeria ?
I also strongly believe that I.diot Australian old man is a plant by the western world who's volunteering to talk sh.it he wasn't paid to do. All these doesn't just add up ?
Bottom line: either USA like it or not, petrodollar is going for good, then they can start surviving on their technology and become their dream world largest oil exporter. I'm beginning to dislike that country this days and their puppets media must especially BBC who never publish any good news from the military but look for lope holes. Like the same USA would have brought peace to Liberia suppose Nigeria army didn't single handedly did.
I'm vex.ed

All these does not rule out the fact that these acts are being committed day by day and they are definitely just wrong. I listened to the whole scenario on Aljazeera this morning and contributions made a whole lot of sense. Two Africans, one from Abuja and the other from Geneva also condemned this.
But seriously, how does US into this? Amnesty International is a london outfit. Unless you shed more light, i don't think i see your point exactly.

1 Like

Re: Amnesty International Exposes "Nigeria's Torture Chambers" by MizMyColi(f): 11:58am On Sep 19, 2014

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Amnesty International Exposes "Nigeria's Torture Chambers" by Nobody: 12:02pm On Sep 19, 2014
lastpage: Thing is, the US is responsible for half of the war and violence world over.
It creates wars, then sell weapons to both parties and then goes to the U.N to secure a bogus resolution to finish-off the party it does not like.

Take the issue of ISIL (Islamic state in Iraq and Levant).

These guys started off as small crooks with an Islamic agenda. In Syria, U.S gave them support and weapons, to topple Assad, calling them "moderate terrorist"! A terrorist is a terrorist, there is no in-between, but the U.S never learns!

Since they cant bomb Syria directly, (they ran out of options and support) they are hell-bent on toppling the man, using proxies.

In Libya, they supplied weapons to the same terrorists, just to get rid of Ghadafi.

Now, with American weapons awash all over the place and the ones the terrorist captured from fleeing Iraqi Army (same U.S arming Shite against Sunnis), these ISIL guys have more than enough weapons, more than so many countries military.

Now, America does not want to endanger its own citizens and it is saying "No Boots on the Ground", waiting for some foolish leaders (l did not say Naija o!) to push their own military men forward to fight and die on the ground!

Again, as if the signs on the wall were not bold enough, America has voted yesterday to send further weapons to "moderate terrorist" to fight the ISIL, ignoring the fact that Syria and Iranian Armies are in the best position to do this!
All in an effort to give weapons to some group so they can topple Asad!

The major terror-financing and terror-supporting countries like Saudi Arabia, Quatar, Kuwait, Turkey are America's allies for now.
If you ask me, the coalition will fail (you cant win a war by just aerial bombing alone, someone has got to do the "clean-up" on ground otherwise they will regroup very quickly!) and those terrorist would simply get stronger and emboldened.

America MUST STOP flooding the terrorist with more weapons.
Same failed policy is playing out in Ukraine! Always more weapons!

Amnesty International and some of these NGO's are sponsored by the CIA/Pentagon so dont expect that they would not dance to their tune.
Our own Govt has to do what it has to do to tackle Boko haram though, l agree that the Nigerian Police is crude, inefficient and uses torture to extract information but who doesn't?
America does it in Guantanamo bay, Abu Graib prison and some of its hidden cells all over Eastern Europe
Israel does it, Britain does it and we can go on and on.

Nigerian Govt needs to strike a good balance between Human rights and Security.
We need more of Intelligence-led police operations as opposed to brute force!

Lastpage!
You are very intelligent and you have a great analytical mind. I wish more nigerians can see things the way u do. USA does not gv a damn abt us and i dnt blame them. They are only after their own gains,who wouldnt anyways. It's only left for us to wisen up and fight for our country,support NA and criticise the govt in a constructive way. We dont have to expose our yansh to the world b4 showing our grief to the govt. The world doesnt care. They av their hidden agenda. God bless NA, God bless Nigeria

5 Likes

Re: Amnesty International Exposes "Nigeria's Torture Chambers" by jkendy(m): 12:04pm On Sep 19, 2014
Their search light should be extended to other countries as well. I bet you, ours would be 100 times better compared to torture against humanity in some parts of the world.
These white pigs sees nothing good in our country. Are we the only country on mother earth with police brutality or military high handedness?
America is even worst than us. They're equally quilty as charged.

1 Like

Re: Amnesty International Exposes "Nigeria's Torture Chambers" by sylaz(m): 12:07pm On Sep 19, 2014
Nigerian army, police and all of them in general are barbaric. Even if you want to torture someone, must it be that obvious?? y'all keep repeating America tortures, isreali totures and human right activists don't go after them. Well if you cant see huge as$ injuries what can they photograph, if they show someone's hand with all his nails pulled out you think anyone would bother? Or if all his teeth knocked out?? But no they have to make a huge as$ wound on their backs. That amnesty international can make a whole lot of noise about. And to make it all worse, boko haram attacks a town and kills off almost the male inhabitants, the army gets there and round off the remaining for this routine bullsh*t. angry. Or if the dude aint innocent why did they let him go? After destroying his back... Madafaka angry. With all the torturing to gain info, Nigerian army is always reacting to the terrorists attack. I have never for once since after 2009 major wipe out heard them taking the battle to the terrorists.

3 Likes

Re: Amnesty International Exposes "Nigeria's Torture Chambers" by InvertedHammer: 12:17pm On Sep 19, 2014
kadas01: I agree with you to some extent, but it is highly important for people to know their "rights"!

Lastly, it is advisable for anyone NOT to be "caught" in a "crime scene" because no matter how "innocent" the person may be, it might be too late to prove their "innocence"!!
/
Really?

When your police waits for armed robbers to finish operations, then show up the next day and arrest a busload of innocent people (even waka pass), torture them into confessions or bribery. How do you advise anyone not to be caught in a crime scene? Or do people intentionally walk into crime scenes waiting to be arrested by " gallant" NPF? Knowing your right will not get you anywhere with NPF because their upper hierarchy is in on the scheme. Only knowing a VIP gets good results. Are you not in Nigeria?

You don't make any sense.
\

2 Likes

Re: Amnesty International Exposes "Nigeria's Torture Chambers" by Johniyke2flex(m): 12:19pm On Sep 19, 2014
jkendy: Their search light should be extended to other countries as well. I bet you, ours would be 100 times better compared to torture against humanity in some parts of the world.
These white pigs sees nothing good in our country. Are we the only country on mother earth with police brutality or military high handedness?
America is even worst than us. They're equally quilty as charged.

What's ur point brother? Did you really take ur time to relate with the message that is being passed? When will dis ingrained culture of discarding the message and attacking the messenger come to an end. From the little I have observed, you and others like you prefer to live with the perception that others are responsible for your woes. Dats pathetic!

4 Likes

Re: Amnesty International Exposes "Nigeria's Torture Chambers" by Nobody: 12:20pm On Sep 19, 2014
weekend deal!

Re: Amnesty International Exposes "Nigeria's Torture Chambers" by ignis: 12:24pm On Sep 19, 2014
Without torture , how can we extract the truth from criminal and terrorist suspects?
Should the military men host them in an air conditioned room and buy them Ice cream and cake?
Re: Amnesty International Exposes "Nigeria's Torture Chambers" by ToyinDipo(m): 12:25pm On Sep 19, 2014
Re: Amnesty International Exposes "Nigeria's Torture Chambers" by InvertedHammer: 12:29pm On Sep 19, 2014
uzoexcel: even though some of these things r true..i really distrust the west these period....they seem to have ulterior motives?why nt showcase camerounian police and military?

his s hw they started with ghaddafi and even Assad...Maybe they should do a better reesearch on how Boko haram seem always to be able to get their hands on top class weapons off the market while the US CANT SELL TO NAIJA?

\
Are you pissed that the message is false ?

Or

Are you pissed at the messenger?

USA didn't want to sell weapons to Nigeria. Well manufacture your own f@cking weapon!

You take solace in deriding the West. But faced with any freaking challenge, you start panhandling to the West.

Necessity is the mother of invention. Nigeria has the necessity but where is the invention?

\

2 Likes

Re: Amnesty International Exposes "Nigeria's Torture Chambers" by Ekundayo7: 12:29pm On Sep 19, 2014
sunboy: Now I can see the USA is determined to destroy this country. Just yesterday the military was complaining about the USA blocking their ways that we were blacklisted to buy arms because of human rights violations, I didn't really believed it because we can always buy from Russia, Iran, China and even India who won't wait a second to sell. Now I'm reading about human right publishing this shi.t now I believed whatever the military excuse of laundering such cash. This mu.mu human right people no see Israel on Palestine soil committing anything, the USA Guatemala bay ? The Russian KGB method which was considered the toughest? The Indians torture was sef especially their police. What the mess does the USA stands to gain from a divided or destroyed Nigeria ?
I also strongly believe that I.diot Australian old man is a plant by the western world who's volunteering to talk sh.it he wasn't paid to do. All these doesn't just add up ?
Bottom line: either USA like it or not, petrodollar is going for good, then they can start surviving on their technology and become their dream world largest oil exporter. I'm beginning to dislike that country this days and their puppets media must especially BBC who never publish any good news from the military but look for lope holes. Like the same USA would have brought peace to Liberia suppose Nigeria army didn't single handedly did.
I'm vex.ed
Procuring knowledge is the best way to stem ignorance...
1. Amnesty International is a Non-profit, Non-governmental organization which mission is "to protect human rights". It was founded on May, 28 1961 in London. http://www.glotter.com/entry-2869

2. At 3pm on 2 November 1936 the BBC began the world's first regular hi-definition television service, from specially constructed studios at Alexandra Palace in North London. http://www.bbc.co.uk/historyofthebbc

3. Guantanamo Bay Amnesty International listed US indefinite detention of 166 prisoners at Guantanamo as the country's primary human rights concern in its latest annual report. [/b]The paper also denounced drone strikes and uninvestigated deaths from secret CIA detentions.

4. [b]What assistance has the United States provided to Nigeria to help it counter the Boko Haram threat?

U.S.-Nigerian diplomatic engagement has focused on the Boko Haram threat through a Regional
Security Working Group of the Binational Commission, as well as through regular engagement
by U.S. embassy officials in Abuja. Through the BNC dialogue, the United States has supported
Nigerian efforts to establish a joint intelligence fusion center; the FBI has also provided periodic
support to the Nigerian government to assist in specific incident investigations. The United States
has provided counterterrorism training and assistance to Nigerian civilian and law enforcement
agencies, but counterterrorism support for the Nigerian military has been limited in comparison
with that provided to some countries in the Sahel and East Africa. U.S. military assistance to
Nigeria has focused primarily on professionalization, peacekeeping support and training, and
border and maritime security. The country has received sizable assistance to support the Nigerian
military’s peacekeeping deployments through the Global Peacekeeping Operations Initiative
(GPOI), totaling $2 million to $3 million annually in recent years. Nigeria also receives on
average $1 million annually in Foreign Military Financing (FMF), which has been used to sustain
the country’s fleet of C-130 aircraft.
Nigerian security forces have received counternarcotics
assistance from the State Department and DOD.
U.S. counterterrorism programs in Nigeria are implemented through the State Department’s West
Africa Regional Security Initiative (WARSI), the Trans-Sahara Counterterrorism Partnership
(TSCTP) and other State Department-led initiatives, including Anti-Terrorism Assistance (ATA)
and the Regional Strategic Initiative (RSI), as well as through DOD funds for counterterrorism
and military-to-military cooperation activities.

Nigerian law enforcement agencies receive ATA and RSI training regularly totaling more than $3 million per year, focusing on border security,crisis response, counter-IED, and investigative and analytic capacity. Counterterrorism assistance
to the military is increasing—FY2014 assistance includes $5 million in counter-IED and civil-
military relations training, and U.S. military trainers have recently begun efforts to train a ranger
battalion. Some U.S. assistance for Nigerian military and police units has been restricted based on
human rights concerns (see below)
The State Department and USAID additionally support programs that focus on counteringradicalization in Nigeria. Other counterterrorism-related support includes justice sector programming focused on improving Nigerian capacity to prosecute terrorist financing cases.
MEANWHILE.....
"Turkish Airlines denies smuggling arms to Boko Haram The statement specifically stated that no arms deliveries were made to Nigeria from Turkey or any other country"...worldbulletin.net

What are the major factors constraining further U.S. assistance to Nigerian security forces in their operations against Boko Haram?
Human rights concerns have constrained U.S. security assistance to Nigeria for both legal and policy reasons, and coordination on counterterrorism efforts has also been hampered at times by a lack of cooperation from Nigerian officials. U.S. legal provisions, popularly known as the Leahy Laws, that prohibit assistance to foreign security force units implicated in gross violations of human rights have had a significant impact on U.S.-Nigerian security cooperation. DOD officials have further described Nigeria as “an extremely challenging partner to work with,” and“slow to adapt with new strategies, new doctrines, and new tactics.”

2 Likes

Re: Amnesty International Exposes "Nigeria's Torture Chambers" by InvertedHammer: 12:32pm On Sep 19, 2014
ToyinDipo:

Screw first bank, their access list blocking almost every site except google. Even softwares like team viewer won't connect except when they allow it.

UBA network is far more linient.

Screw first bank, their access list blocking almost every site except google. Even softwares like team viewer won't connect except when they allow it.

[/img]

So you noticed the First Bank issues too?
Re: Amnesty International Exposes "Nigeria's Torture Chambers" by Exjoker(m): 12:33pm On Sep 19, 2014
I'm vex.ed
Re: Amnesty International Exposes "Nigeria's Torture Chambers" by poiZon: 12:34pm On Sep 19, 2014
I'm vex.ed

bros no vex abeg.

barman abeg sama am with a very BIG bottle of SMALL STOUT.
Re: Amnesty International Exposes "Nigeria's Torture Chambers" by ToyinDipo(m): 12:34pm On Sep 19, 2014
Re: Amnesty International Exposes "Nigeria's Torture Chambers" by sulmeza(m): 12:37pm On Sep 19, 2014
assfreak:

Wen police catch u one day and torture you for wetin you no do, then you go understand wetin dis people dey talk about. By the time dem don use hammer remove your teeth and use hot iron to disfigure ur back, you go begin dey confess tings wey you no do.
no mind am...d country's situation dosnt justify dis unjust,barbaric torture..it's inhuman

1 Like

Re: Amnesty International Exposes "Nigeria's Torture Chambers" by lakesider(m): 12:41pm On Sep 19, 2014
most people here have never been victims or have their relatives as victims .nigeria police men are dark brained devils

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

President Jonathan Visits NSE, Launches X-gen / Man Who Was Beaten By Military Cadet On Channels TV (Photos) / Fayose And His Mother, Oluwafunke Oluwayose Step Out From Afao Unity Event(pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.