Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,157 members, 7,811,335 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 09:32 AM

Regular Oil Vs Synthetic Oil In Your Car - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Regular Oil Vs Synthetic Oil In Your Car (1585 Views)

Choice Of Synthetic Oil. / Where To Get Mobil 1 5w-20 Synthetic Oil / Synthetic Oil Vs Mineral Based Oil? (2) (3) (4)

(1)

Regular Oil Vs Synthetic Oil In Your Car by osss: 11:16am On Sep 19, 2014
Some of us are using Synthetic oil just because we were told to use it and because of the high cost most of us thinks that they are better than the regular oil. just watch the video and advice yourselve well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lshd7WR-a6I

Some of the comment bellow are quite educating too.

Sergey Khochay
1 month ago

my car is allergic to Synthetic Oil - symptoms are : leaky spaces , scratchy engine , engine feeling weak under power, but side effect from Synthetic Oil is long lasting effect and my wallet is lighter. by running conventional all symptoms and side-effects are gone.

charleysturbos

6 days ago

Yea i understand brendon. If i have an expensive car id stick with basics as well. Ive never had new and probably never will. Nexy car will be a hyundai genises 2.o turbo or a hyundai valositor 1.6 turbo. Probably go with a valositor since it gets better gas and ill be driving alot on my next job. Ill defenately be adding the additives to those also though. I remember how good the car ran without adding any oil for months before with the additives so im a believer. But yea i defenately get you brendon. Nice chick you have there by the way,haha.

+charleysturbos I went to 6 mechanics , 2 Toyota dealers and 2 oil lube shops in town to do the oil survey: the question is : my 2001 Toyota Land cruiser using conventional 5W30 and I like to switch to full synthetic - all of them in one accord told me to stay with conventional because my car build for conventional by manufacturer . And they would not recommend switching too. But if you want to switch then car need a proper engine flush which is bad for the car or first do blend and then synthetic. So the rest of the smarty reading this blog - DO NOT BS PEOPLE WITH SYNTHETIC CRAP.!

Trevor Thayer
3 months ago

I have an '05 Jetta. It calls for synthetic and when I took it to Meineke for an oil change, they put conventional in it. I'm 1800 miles into it and I haven't noticed any difference but is it bad for an engine that calls for synthetic to run on conventional? Also surprised Meineke didn't do synthetic. Now I know I have to specify.

OEMSynthetics.com

1 week ago (edited)

+Saine Forbes First you need SAE 5W-30 Oil but you probably knew that already. It really depends on how much you drive and even where you live too. If you drive a lot and live in colder climate, I would say get the full 100% synthetic, AMSOIL Signature series - 25,000mile oil or one year. If not, lets say you live in mild climates and don't drive as much you can either get AMSOIL OE Synthetic for traditional oil change or Amsoil Synthetic Extended Performance for 10,000miles/6 months oil change interval. Still even if you don't drive much and still want the extra protection, then just get the full synthetic, signature series and you won't have to worry about the oil change for a long time. Visit OEMSytnehtics.com to check out the cost of oil and more. Just click shop and put in the year build of your car. In case if you should do it yourself, off course you should.There are tons of videos online teaching people how to do it. Hope this helped!Sorry for the long reply!

tasev1
3 weeks ago (edited)

I am buying my first newer car - a 2013 Fusion 2.0 Turbo with 11,500 Kilometers. Here is why I choose synthetic over conventional - please try to prove me wrong. 1. New engine, tighter clearances, better lubrication in all the fine crevices to maximise engine life early on. 2. To meet the 16,000 Km / 1 year oil change interval with synthetic permitted on this car actually SAVES me money compared to conventional changes. 3. To reduce oil vapour contamination from the PCV system into the intake due to it's design on direct injection vehicles. 4. To improve lubrication (and by default cooling) of the turbocharger extending it's life. Even though it's liquid cooled, ALL fluids have cooling effect to some point.

Edit: I live in Canada, and lets not forget getting immediate lubrication to the engine on cold sub zero starts!

So, any reason over all this I should switch to conventional? (all my prev vehicles were old and I used cheap oil)
Read more

Jason Litz
3 weeks ago
5. It is a turbo motor. Most turbos put out extra engine heat in turn raising the oil temps. Conventional oil will start to sludge while the synthetics will hold at those temperatures.

samspace81

4 days ago
synthetic oil also prevents "coking" of the oil when shut down and the hot oil left in the turbocharger and oil return line close to it.

samspace81
4 days ago

Also, synthetic oil has a much higher heat tolerance. I find it to be cheap insurance to protect my engine from over-heating in an emergency. I have had several vehicles over 200,000 miles and will never run anything but synthetic oil. Mobil one makes a high mileage version for seal conditioning. Conventional oil will also gum up inside an engine. I broke down a 1996 Corvette LT-4 engine that was spotless inside with 235,000 miles, synthetic its entire life. I would run a blend in older vehicles like you describe or conventional. Sounds good to me Eric! Great channel by the way. - Sam
Freddie Krueger

3 months ago

You can mix oil weights, oil brands, mineral with synthetic (I wouldn't mix mineral and syn. unless you need oil and are close to an oil change, but not quite ready as the mineral oil will degrade the quality of the synthetics). I run 5w30 in the winter and 10w30 in the summer. Synthetics will keep your engine cleaner and provide better protection against say; your intake manifold gasket leaks prestone into your oil pan and you drive it for 2 weeks like that. Mechanic told me I probably destroyed some bearings, there was no damage. A co-worker had bought contaminated gas and that contaminate went to his oil pan. He swears Mobile 1 saved the engine. The grade 3 syns are still great oil, I believe RP, Amsoil, Red Line and Mobile 1(?) are currently the only grade 4's. I've run synthetics since the late 80's, done oil changes at 15k, with a filter at 7.5k, no oil related problems.

Freddie Krueger

3 months ago
Supertech synthetic oil at Walmart is a grade 3 oil, along with Castrol, Valvoline and many others, been using mostly Supertech from Warren industries for all cars, turbo, non turbo, with extended oil changes and a new filter halfway. I'm sorry, but Eric is under rating the synthetics.

Louis-Marc Carbonneau
1 month ago

I just watched a Mobil 1 video that specifically explains that using synthetic oil in older engines is entirely safe and cannot cause new leaks...let's just say that like most things in life, you get what you pay for.

678friedbed
1 month ago

It's true that it doesn't cause new leaks but like the video stated it can seep through existing holes that regular oil can't
[size=8pt][/size][color=#000099]
[/color]
Re: Regular Oil Vs Synthetic Oil In Your Car by Nobody: 11:55am On Sep 19, 2014
www.nairaland.com/1902262/why-should-use-5w-20-5w-30

many threads about Engine oil exists. Pls go there and post this.

(1)

Pls Help Needed With 1999 Nissan Infiniti Qx4 Ac / What Is The Best Car $5,000 Can Buy Right Now?? / What The Codes And Numbers On Your Car Tyres Mean And It's Importance

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.