Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,124 members, 7,814,941 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:37 AM

Asking An "Ex" About Your Flaws, Is It Ever Okay? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Asking An "Ex" About Your Flaws, Is It Ever Okay? (24301 Views)

Is It Ever Okay For A Woman To Propose To A Man? / Is It Ever Okay For A Woman To Propose To A Man?(pics) / Is It Ever Okay For A Girl To Propose To Her Boyfriend? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Asking An "Ex" About Your Flaws, Is It Ever Okay? by MizMyColi(f): 2:12pm On Sep 19, 2014

In this journey of life, no one is perfect.
We all have our flaws and sometimes in the past (future maybe), these flaws could cost us our relationships.

Now, I've seen scenarios where a guy decides to dump or become emotionally and psychologically detached from a lady because of certain traits he noticed in her.
And VICE VERSA.

Then I begin to wonder
"Instead of these stories this bobo is telling me about his babe, why doesn't he just tell her"

I give voice to my thought/wondering and He be like:
"Coliii, you will not understand, I don't want to hurt her feelings, I've been using "style" to let her know, but she just won't gerrit"angry
I'm sure his partner must have felt that way about him too.

Fast forward to a not so distant future, they break up.

In another not too distant future at all, they hook up, with different partners and the cycle continues, on and on.

Having broken up with their most recent date, he and/or she begins to look inwards for answers as to why they seemingly couldn't keep their partners.

Separately, they begin to point out areas where they've shown the most weakness(es).
One of them boldly decides to chat up his "ex" ex to inquire about those character flaws which might have been a major turn off while they were together, seeing as they're reasonably over each other.

This, he said, is in a bid to become better, to face a truth, which he just might be finding hard to confront, himself.

The long and short of the english(es) above is:
Can you call, watsapp or bbm your ex, to ask him or her to reveal certain character flaws about you for whatever reason(s) there might be?

Is it ever okay to do so?
Why?

Please, only mature, sound and objective contributions are welcome.

Thanks in anticipation of your cooperation.
smiley

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Asking An "Ex" About Your Flaws, Is It Ever Okay? by HisSexcellency(m): 2:21pm On Sep 19, 2014
From the content of your write up, i believe you're strongly contemplating on doing so or already did and now not sure if you did the right thing. To my asking an Ex about your flaws is a flaw itself. It's a sign of inadequacy and inferiority complex

70 Likes 1 Share

Re: Asking An "Ex" About Your Flaws, Is It Ever Okay? by vizkiz: 2:22pm On Sep 19, 2014
Some might say yes while others might say No..but as the second to coment on this thread...i choose to say

"Stay the furck off from your ex" angry

38 Likes 1 Share

Re: Asking An "Ex" About Your Flaws, Is It Ever Okay? by Nobody: 2:23pm On Sep 19, 2014
I guess its o.k if you know your ex is not the vindictive type.

4 Likes

Re: Asking An "Ex" About Your Flaws, Is It Ever Okay? by MizMyColi(f): 2:25pm On Sep 19, 2014
Lovexme: Apparently, they still keep in touch, and they are still probably in good terms. It shouldn't be a problem if he/she decides to ask the ex for whatever noticeable character flaw he/she must have had or still has while both were still an item.

As a matter of fact, I think it's one good way to better one self as an ex must have been in a better position to appraise one's character.

Just had to quote you here.
You and Andromida are giving me another school of thought to attend to, especially seeing as I'm against it personally.

2 Likes

Re: Asking An "Ex" About Your Flaws, Is It Ever Okay? by MizMyColi(f): 2:27pm On Sep 19, 2014
HisSexcellency: From the content of your write up, i believe you're strongly contemplating on doing so or already did and now not sure if you did the right thing. To my asking an Ex about your flaws is a flaw itself. It's a sign of inadequacy and inferiority complex

It's not a big deal if I'm the one in question.
But I'm not.

I have my reservations on doing such.
I'll state mine in due course.

1 Like

Re: Asking An "Ex" About Your Flaws, Is It Ever Okay? by keypad1: 2:28pm On Sep 19, 2014
i did not read the post.

I only read the topic.

But ex should not reapear in our lives again.

24 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Asking An "Ex" About Your Flaws, Is It Ever Okay? by xamster(m): 2:30pm On Sep 19, 2014
Actually, i wouldn't advice anyone to do that. It's obviously a display of inferiority mindset and belittle of ur esteem.
But on the contrary, since ur ex knows much about u, hence such individual will be in a position to highlight those flaws & inadequacies which were never visible to you in ur past relationship.

3 Likes

Re: Asking An "Ex" About Your Flaws, Is It Ever Okay? by priscaoge(f): 2:30pm On Sep 19, 2014
You can’t start the
next chapter if you
keep re-reading the last one.
Ex should remain EX...Nobody cares about the past,they care about the present,an EX is an EX for a reason so get over him...IMO!

Btw MizMyColi u have a nice Post herewinkwink

2 Likes

Re: Asking An "Ex" About Your Flaws, Is It Ever Okay? by Segunj8(m): 2:30pm On Sep 19, 2014
Let d 'Ex' remain Ex.. Let ur new partner deal with ur flaws nd if he/she can't den u hv plus 1 Ex, u ll definitely find some1 who ll luv d whole of u with ur flaws.

32 Likes 1 Share

Re: Asking An "Ex" About Your Flaws, Is It Ever Okay? by Jerrick(m): 2:30pm On Sep 19, 2014
angry
Re: Asking An "Ex" About Your Flaws, Is It Ever Okay? by MizMyColi(f): 2:34pm On Sep 19, 2014
keypad1: i did not read the post.

I only read the topic.

But ex should not reapear in our lives again.

I agree with you.

Personally, I don't believe in second chance in that regard.
If I let a person go, it means I must have tried my best to be my best.

Some people call it being wikkid grin but hey, it is what it is for me.

Others might have their opinion, and I'm open to change.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Asking An "Ex" About Your Flaws, Is It Ever Okay? by Dygeasy(m): 2:40pm On Sep 19, 2014
I believe and have had reasons to that no relationship ends without a reason. Whether consciously or unconsciously before the break-up, you know something is wrong. If you were the 'quitter', there's no flaw anywhere. You just wished to break up with your partner and if you were the 'quitee', you only need to search within yourself for answers. If you find none, your ex (the 'quitter' in your own case) is the wrongest person to ask. If you were loved, you could have been worked on and with barring extreme cases such as infidelity and the likes.

I'm not sure I'm making much sense. grin

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Asking An "Ex" About Your Flaws, Is It Ever Okay? by MizMyColi(f): 2:48pm On Sep 19, 2014
Dygeasy: I believe and have had reasons to that no relationship ends without a reason. Whether consciously or unconsciously before the break-up, you know something is wrong. If you were the 'quitter', there's no flaw anywhere. You just wished to break up with your partner and if you were the 'quitee', you only need to search within yourself for answers. If you find none, your ex (the 'quitter' in your own case) is the wrongest person to ask. If you were loved, you could have been worked on and with barring extreme cases such as infidelity and the likes.

I'm not sure I'm making much sense. grin

You deserve two puff puffs and zobo grin
A discussion with a child hood friend prompted this discussion.

He might have been over her and fine, they're now friends (I wonder how that works anyway).
He hinted asking questions in those lines, albeit, not directly and I'm like:
Dafuq

But then, having pondered on our discussion, I began seeing reasons with him, I wasn't convinced still that it's a good thing to do, all things being equal.
But then undecided

Learning never stops. cheesy

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Asking An "Ex" About Your Flaws, Is It Ever Okay? by Tallesty1(m): 2:52pm On Sep 19, 2014
Ex are like kidnappers, never contact them once you are freed.

6 Likes

Re: Asking An "Ex" About Your Flaws, Is It Ever Okay? by MizMyColi(f): 2:54pm On Sep 19, 2014
andromida: I guess its o.k if you know your ex is not the vindictive type.
By vindictive Ma'am, how do you mean?
Re: Asking An "Ex" About Your Flaws, Is It Ever Okay? by Nobody: 2:56pm On Sep 19, 2014
no human is infallible, and no one knows you more than YOU know yourself. what made Mr. A dump you may be what will make Mr. B die for you, and might be what will make Mr. C take you to the alter. Be original, be yourself.
instead of trying to put the pieces of the ex-puzzle together, trust in the future, leave the pieces on the floor and move 'the fvck' on...

“The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.”
― Eleanor Roosevelt

41 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Asking An "Ex" About Your Flaws, Is It Ever Okay? by Dygeasy(m): 2:57pm On Sep 19, 2014
MizMyColi:

You deserve two puff puffs and zobo grin
A discussion with a child hood friend prompted this discussion.

He might have been over her and fine, they're now friends (I wonder how that works anyway).
He hinted asking questions in those lines, albeit, not directly and I'm like:
Dafuq

But then, having pondered on our discussion, I began seeing reasons with him, I wasn't convinced still that it's a good thing to do, all things being equal.
But then undecided

Learning never stops. cheesy
Well, different strokes for you-know-who but asking that question shows that person either hasn't moved on or still has feelings for the other one.

I am friends with all of my EXes (even the angriest and the most bitter..lol!) except the ones that just disappeared and we know quite alright why the relationships ended. I try as much as possible to avoid talks about US in our happening days. It's a pretty lame thing to do left for me o.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Asking An "Ex" About Your Flaws, Is It Ever Okay? by Nobody: 2:58pm On Sep 19, 2014
#Observing cool
Re: Asking An "Ex" About Your Flaws, Is It Ever Okay? by MizMyColi(f): 2:58pm On Sep 19, 2014
Scyllapatron: no human is infallible, and no one knows you more than YOU know yourself. what made Mr. A dump you may be what will make Mr. B die for you, and might be what will make Mr. C take you to the alter. Be original, be yourself.
instead of trying to put the pieces of the ex-puzzle together, trust in the future, leave the pieces on the floor and move the fvck on...

^^^ I'm happy people like you are speaking my mind.
I await counter opinions.
Re: Asking An "Ex" About Your Flaws, Is It Ever Okay? by HisSexcellency(m): 2:58pm On Sep 19, 2014
MizMyColi:

It's not a big deal if I'm the one in question.
But I'm not.

I have my reservations on doing such.
I'll state mine in due course.
No kwams then... If you have reservations, that means we're both saying thesame thing. Which is that it's a wrong thing to do.
Re: Asking An "Ex" About Your Flaws, Is It Ever Okay? by lawrenceunaa: 3:00pm On Sep 19, 2014
asking an ex ur flaws might give her the wrong impression that u want her back grin

But play along cos those tips might help u improve ur current r/ship wink

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Asking An "Ex" About Your Flaws, Is It Ever Okay? by MizMyColi(f): 3:02pm On Sep 19, 2014
HisSexcellency:
No kwams then... If you have reservations, that means we're both saying the same thing. Which is that it's a wrong thing to do.

One bottle of Amstel Malta for you.
But..........

Andromida said something worth considering, I've requested that she expatiate.

Personally, I think it's a baaaddd idea though
Re: Asking An "Ex" About Your Flaws, Is It Ever Okay? by rafeelly(m): 3:09pm On Sep 19, 2014
it all depend on how u both broke of d relationship... some ex wud not want to av anything to do with for eternity y some still end up been good friend... now to ur question... its not a bad idea to seek for ur ex opinion.. if he/she decides to share dat a good thing but d most thing is to evaluate what they av said whether it is really a flaw u need to work on or a part of u dat shud remain unapologetic

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Asking An "Ex" About Your Flaws, Is It Ever Okay? by Nobody: 3:15pm On Sep 19, 2014
lawrenceunaa: asking an ex ur flaws might give her the wrong impression that u want her back grin

But play along cos those tips might help u improve ur current r/ship wink

@the bold - true
Re: Asking An "Ex" About Your Flaws, Is It Ever Okay? by kurajordan(m): 3:23pm On Sep 19, 2014
I thought u said EX Y go back to her? Flaws or no flaws move forward.
Re: Asking An "Ex" About Your Flaws, Is It Ever Okay? by yuzjet(m): 3:23pm On Sep 19, 2014
An Ex is an Examples of any Experiences of what should never appear/occur/happen in ur life again.

Even if u want to know about ur flaws, not from ur Ex. because I believe he/she will use the chance to bring u down as it'll seems that u're still living in ur past.

Forget ur Ex here and focus to adjust on whatever can make the new lucky person stays.

3 Likes

Re: Asking An "Ex" About Your Flaws, Is It Ever Okay? by ggrin(f): 3:24pm On Sep 19, 2014
Yes
Re: Asking An "Ex" About Your Flaws, Is It Ever Okay? by otijah(m): 3:24pm On Sep 19, 2014
y asking such a question? Are u planning to go back to the relationshiop, asking such a Question means u ar trying to correct ur mistakes nd ask for forgivenes. It is never done and should nt be done unless u dnt knw what the word "ex" means
Re: Asking An "Ex" About Your Flaws, Is It Ever Okay? by tigonana: 3:25pm On Sep 19, 2014
Re: Asking An "Ex" About Your Flaws, Is It Ever Okay? by themejiwalker(m): 3:25pm On Sep 19, 2014
There's no harm in that as long as you are "cool" with your ex..

I'm very cool with all my exes. Don't ask me how i did it wink

1 Like

Re: Asking An "Ex" About Your Flaws, Is It Ever Okay? by san316(m): 3:27pm On Sep 19, 2014
Girl: that's all(after telling him his flaws on his request). BOY: Ehen, so you've had all these in your mind and you didn't tell me. No wonder you only cried for 2 weeks when we broke up. It's over again. However, I think asking such question is like going through your answer sheet after it has been marked. Good because you know the mistakes you made, bad because you regret and feel like writing the exams again whch may be painfully impossible.

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Top 10 Male Nairalanders With The Cutest Smiles! / Ladies: Why Are You Single? / Battle of the Sexes - Males vs. Females

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.