Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,056 members, 7,810,949 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 07:13 PM

What Is Preventing Africa From Experiencing A Cultural Renaissance? - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What Is Preventing Africa From Experiencing A Cultural Renaissance? (26464 Views)

Igbos And Yorubas: A Cultural Comparison. / Igbo Men's Ways, A Cultural Thing ? / Obama From A Cultural Perspective (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is Preventing Africa From Experiencing A Cultural Renaissance? by Omarbah: 12:03am On Sep 24, 2014
Fulaman198:

Dedirawo, LOL it's already happening though sadly because many Africans (especially those in the younger generation) think its cool to imitate foreign cultures instead of being proud of their own.
thus the need for this cultural "revolution".

1 Like

Re: What Is Preventing Africa From Experiencing A Cultural Renaissance? by agangadiman(m): 1:46pm On Sep 24, 2014
a tread like this will only get to 4 or 5 pages max.

but a thread about the finest guy or gehl, or a teef teef pastor will get to 40 pages.

"my people die from lack of knowledge"

1 Like

Re: What Is Preventing Africa From Experiencing A Cultural Renaissance? by AmunRaOlodumare: 2:24pm On Sep 24, 2014
The number one cause of African underdevelopment is the use of foreign/colonial language as language of instructions.

Only us poor colonized people use the English/French/Portuguese language as language of instruction to teach math, science, history.

Let's look at some other continent:

Europe: Only British countries use the English language for medium of instructions. The other countries, very numerous, Germany, Sweden, Finland, Spain, Czechoslovakia, Italia, Turkey, Norway etc use their own language as language of instruction. Scandinavian countries are good examples. You can throw in Russia and Israel even if they are not European countries.

Asia: China, Japan, Korea, etc. Japan and South Korea are good examples. South Korea was an agricultural country with low production 60 years ago.

Africa: Oopps!

It must be noted in most of those countries I would suppose learn English as a second language. Which is also very important. If it was not done in Africa and only local languages used, I would be at the forefront of introducing English as a second language in Africa. In Ancient African empires often composed of many populations they used 1)lingua franca 2)multilingualim to speak, trade, intermarry with each others. This is what Africa should use now, at is it done in Europe and Asia for example. African people are naturally multilingual.

Considering the current situation in Nigeria the best policies would be

1- Use of local languages for every school subjects like Mathematic, Science and History. As long as possible up to the university level.
2- Have pupils learn another African language from Nigeria. Possibly a national/regional lingua franca. It can be a choice among many.
3- Have pupils learn English as an international lingua franca (very important but easier due the influence of America in media and the position of English currently in Nigeria).

You can read more about it by reading Unesco research, local university research, as well as this organization (which is an active organization all over Africa not just a website): http://www.casas.co.za/

Basically, it's learn in local languages and learn English and a local/national/regional language as a second language.

2 Likes

Re: What Is Preventing Africa From Experiencing A Cultural Renaissance? by Omarbah: 5:32pm On Sep 24, 2014
@ AmunRaOlodumare, great website and what you wrote goes directly in the line with the post. Talking about South African, don't the Afrikaners have their own school where the language is Afrikaans?
Re: What Is Preventing Africa From Experiencing A Cultural Renaissance? by Omarbah: 6:08pm On Sep 24, 2014
kingston277: It started around the time of colonialism when negative foreign ideals and mismanagement brought down the great civilizations that once stool more centuries. African history in all its glory.

So, Op. A better question would be, why have we fallen so far from the civilization we developed and chosen to worship foreign peoples rather than turn to the people who spent the last millenia taming the African landscapes and building advanced civilizations? And is there a way to recreate this long lost advancement techniques?
it has to do with the severe inferiority complex that we have developed since slavery and colonialism. Mind you, even the descendants of slaves that came back to Sierra Leone, Liberia or even the ones that used to live in Saros district in Lagos hated the indigenous Africans and looked down upon them. They were convinced that no civilization ever came out of Africa. To this day, most black people in the West think that we walk around half naked and live in trees. Which is bizarre to me because how would they explain the fact that we can do math, physics and speak English properly if we lived in trees.
Intellectuals like Henry Rawlingson Carr who were among the most educated Africans of his time and had a rivalry with Herbert Macaulay believed that the best way for Africans to evolve was going through the British. And he was not the only one that thought so. It goes to tell you how much we have willingly alienated our own culture. Imagine if people like him had written books in Yoruba using the Latin scripts if necessary, how many people would have gotten out of ignorance at the time? But they couldn't do it because their mind was thinking in that direction.
So I would tell you my friend, that we first need to love our own culture and realize that true progress is in improving it not washing ourselves of it to embrace something else. There is no respect in that. Why do you think no matter what a black American does , he still can't get respect? "Even if you in a Benz , you are still a nigga" Kanye West.

1 Like

Re: What Is Preventing Africa From Experiencing A Cultural Renaissance? by Omarbah: 6:15pm On Sep 24, 2014
The Hausa have a very developed language, I wonder why their schools are not teaching in it. I bet people would be more willing to learn through it than English.
Re: What Is Preventing Africa From Experiencing A Cultural Renaissance? by kingston277(m): 1:43am On Sep 25, 2014
Omarbah:
it has to do with the severe inferiority complex that we have developed since slavery and colonialism.
Yes. Its terrible.

Omarbah: Mind you, even the descendants of slaves that came back to Sierra Leone, Liberia or even the ones that used to live in Saros district in Lagos hated the indigenous Africans and looked down upon them. They were convinced that no civilization ever came out of Africa.
Of course they would, they were sold off and were bitter when they came back. Not to mention the excessive brainwashing by the whites.

Omarbah: To this day, most black people in the West think that we walk around half naked and live in trees. Which is bizarre to me because how would they explain the fact that we can do math, physics and speak English properly if we lived in trees.
To this day even most Africans think such things.
Btw, what

[quote author=Omarbah]Intellectuals like Henry Rawlingson Carr who were among the most educated Africans of his time and had a rivalry with Herbert Macaulay believed that the best way for Africans to evolve was going through the British. And he was not the only one that thought so. It goes to tell you how much we have willingly alienated our own culture. Imagine if people like him had written books in Yoruba using the Latin scripts if necessary, how many people would have gotten out of ignorance at the time? But they couldn't do it because their mind was thinking in that direction.
I made a thread about how to go about evolving without forsaking culture. It was written by a westerner who was able to see through this globalization and brainwashing non-sense. Very well written.

Omarbah: So I would tell you my friend, that we first need to love our own culture and realize that true progress is in improving it not washing ourselves of it to embrace something else. There is no respect in that. Why do you think no matter what a black American does , he still can't get respect? "Even if you in a Benz , you are still a nigga" Kanye West.
One of the ways to love our culture is to find out more about it and its history. Look across the boards and notice that despite most members on here being Nigerian, they seem to have a shallow, almost 1940s understanding of the culture of their country and forefathers. In short, their view of Africa is very eurocentric. More archaeology and digging needs to be done to not only set and example, but clear up myths about our past and hopefully discover ways to evolve via our forefathers. As others have told me, some "traditional" practices and values may be corrupted, and ancient institutions that served the people are now either defunct or corrupted and twisted beyond recognition. More digging as well as social changes can help send Africa in the right direction.

1 Like

Re: What Is Preventing Africa From Experiencing A Cultural Renaissance? by freeafrica365: 3:20am On Sep 25, 2014
ChukwuCantDie: After 500 years Africans have still not learned who the enemy is, 500 years after the oyibos came here to enslave ALL of Africa and steal ALL Africas minerals, 500 years after the oyibos took over 25 million Africans into the most brutal from of slavery to ever exist Africans still dey siddon look. Looking in the sky for god. How many Nigerians/Africans do you know of with oyibo names such as Rose, John, Sarah, Joseph? I bet it is a lot. How many Asians or whites do you know of called Chibueze, Emeka, Ngozi or any other African name? I already know the answer, 0. This is the main problem for me as it shows a lack of self awareness, most Africans don't even know about slavery, or colonization, all they know is that the whites have all the money and the Africans are poor but they do not know or care why. I cant understand how a man or woman can have a baby in their village and decide to name their child after the oyibos that came here to kill and destroy for 500 years, but will go to war with another black tribe because they don speak your language.

The white American government only classed blacks as human in the 60's after the civil rights movement. We even sing our national anthem in English instead of making one that includes Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba, we allow the descendents of the whites who came to steal and plunder Africa to come and create big business here instead of supporting other Africans, how many African countries mine all their own minerals? How many own their own oil? Why are there European(mainly french) military bases in Africa? Until this changes everything will stay the same.

THIS BRUH! This
Re: What Is Preventing Africa From Experiencing A Cultural Renaissance? by freeafrica365: 3:47am On Sep 25, 2014
Omarbah:
it has to do with the severe inferiority complex that we have developed since slavery and colonialism. Mind you, even the descendants of slaves that came back to Sierra Leone, Liberia or even the ones that used to live in Saros district in Lagos hated the indigenous Africans and looked down upon them. They were convinced that no civilization ever came out of Africa. To this day, most black people in the West think that we walk around half naked and live in trees. Which is bizarre to me because how would they explain the fact that we can do math, physics and speak English properly if we lived in trees.
Intellectuals like Henry Rawlingson Carr who were among the most educated Africans of his time and had a rivalry with Herbert Macaulay believed that the best way for Africans to evolve was going through the British. And he was not the only one that thought so. It goes to tell you how much we have willingly alienated our own culture. Imagine if people like him had written books in Yoruba using the Latin scripts if necessary, how many people would have gotten out of ignorance at the time? But they couldn't do it because their mind was thinking in that direction.
So I would tell you my friend, that we first need to love our own culture and realize that true progress is in improving it not washing ourselves of it to embrace something else. There is no respect in that. Why do you think no matter what a black American does , he still can't get respect? "Even if you in a Benz , you are still a nigga" Kanye West.

I agree with many of your points. But Afro Americans cant get respect because Africans cant get respect, we are their elders. The Asians get respect because they have countries that are efficient. The jews get respect because they take care of their diaspora. The branches are only as strong as its trees. And I have to defend afro americans, there are more malcolm xs that sought out africa than the ignorance you speak of. But, I loved the majority of what you spoke of.

Your question is / was awesome btw, simply thought provoking and awesome.

My contribution to this thread:

1. Religion: not indigenous. Every european supremacist / arab supremacist gave us a religion that divided us. Only celebrate a religion that is AFROCENTRIC.
2. Lack of continuity in the world: Like it or not, we need to connect with our diaspora fro, cuba to puerto rico to Belize to america. We need to honor both those like me who had a choice and those that didnt have a choice.
3. Modern Gov: Africa needs to be open source, and crowd sourced, innovative ideas that come from us all. We need ideas that model a different governing unit. We just took up our colonist way of policy and therefore we dont OWN our government.
4. Lack of massive CIVIL RIGHTS MOVEMENT: We need an OCCUPY AFRICA, and it should be us worldwide see point 2.
5. NO BORDERS FOR BLACK AFRICANS: We are too open to europeans and too closed to our Africans and the blacks. Host events that include us all. Restructure boundaries.
6. Debate Cafes: Host book clubs. It sounds small. But lets get back to our cafes, debating, reading african/black authors. Culture comes from literature. I know music and art but books - to me- just create discussions. Lets start going to partner countries and host book discussions.
7. HUMILITY: Nigerians, we are prideful. But it turns so many off.
8. SCHOOL CURRICULUMS: Ask educators from around the world to help change our curriculums.
Re: What Is Preventing Africa From Experiencing A Cultural Renaissance? by kingston277(m): 3:08pm On Sep 25, 2014
macof:

Africa has AU and Ecowas but they not really doing anything, personally I think economy, military and currency should be shared all over Ecowas member states leaving other things like resource control, laws and governance etc. to it's nation...nations drawn on ethnic lines of course

This is what EU is even doing as it is

I think Qaddafi proposed something like this for Africa before he got ousted.

2 Likes

Re: What Is Preventing Africa From Experiencing A Cultural Renaissance? by kingston277(m): 10:18pm On Sep 25, 2014
A fellow NLer put together a list on how to identify self-haters, especially in regards to historical discussions:
RandomAfricanAm: @kingston277
Thumbs up to you. That said you are going to run into the same problems with the self haters over and over. Typical broad issues are...
1. The attempt of translating African ideas/institutions into incompatible European intellectual containers.
2. A poor(lopsided) grasp of the general history of Humans and their activity through time.
3. A poor ability to process historical knowledge of Human activity through time to make insightful descriptions of todays society.
4. Misguided rationalizations exacerbated by issues #1-3 above.
5. Dogged stubbornness brought on by the idea that "I didn't come to this conclusion by an emotional fit, I came to a rational well thought-out conclusion". This being done under the more fundamental issue noted in #4
6. A poor "spiritual/emotional" relationship with the topic under discussion brought on by personal observation(school/real world) of that topic. While the rationalization serves as justification for the stated position; the spiritual relationship mediates which rationalization was stated in the first place.
RandomAfricanAm: Two major vectors of foreign cultural attack...

1. Media(music, movies, TV shows, websites, sports)
2. Returnees from the Diaspora(People associate the status of these people not merely with application of education; but also with hairstyles, speech, clothing, etc)
**I should also add the vestiges of the old colonial education system that's still in place**

Note: number 2 is the vector I have the most issue with concerning these self hating people. The most ironic display being the ones who complain about "backward superstitious people" who then basically attempt to devour other peoples culture in a bid to be like (insert perceived quality here). what makes that ironic is they are employing the same logic as a person killing a lion and devouring it's flesh in a bid to be like (insert perceived quality here). It's the same line of logic except concerning a different entity.

Note 2: Colonization provides the gapping hole for those cultural mores to take a stronger hold then they normally would otherwise. The self haters also seem to believe that the fact that the colonial period(that only lasted 50ish years ...spain was occupied for 800) occurred is a rationalization for their cultural "betrayal".
RandomAfricanAm: That sh*t is sad man. sad
The worse part is that they feel like they are being "realistic" "responsible" "progressive" or my personal favorite "civilized"(even though they completely miss the keyword *civil*) Automation & mechanization does not equal civilization; Automized & mechanized barbarians are still practicing barbarism. Simply put mechanized barbarism is still barbarism.

Neutral Example: When the tent dwelling, spear chucking, horse riding Mongolians sacked and overran china they were barbarians being barbarous. When the mansion/castle dwelling, rifle/cannon shooting, galleon/wagon riding Europeans sacked and overran china they were also barbarians being barbarous.

Self haters conveniently skip that and other episodes in world history nor do they dare say they the fact that china was overrun by a pack of tent dwellers on horse back means that they should stop city planning, administrative practices, civil engineering projects, etc. and accept the superior tent dwelling "civilization" that was obviously justified by chinas round defeat and occupation by Mongolians. Nor do they say that the Japanese should give up their Shinto tree, rock, etc spirits and become "civilized"(or in self hater language "industrialized", "mechanized", & "automized" ...which is what they really mean when they say "civilized"wink

As concerns my ideas surrounding African spirituality I suggest you checkout my reply on the second page of...
https://www.nairaland.com/1554976/whats-literal-translation-north-south/1

As I like to say...
1. Freedom is a necessity but not enough. Choices are predicated on what you know at the time of calculating a decision. If I control what you know I control the range of your possible choices.
2. Knowledge is a necessity but not enough. Knowledge derives it's usefulness from being processed when calculating a decision. The smaller the range of process you are capable of carrying out the less you can do with what you know.
3. Processing(intelligence) is a necessity but not enough. There are a series of Processes done in executing a plan. If you have no plan your interests are subject to those who do have a plan. Be that in using your ability to process knowledge to further their plans(not yours) or simply by your interests being displaced in the execution of their plans.
4. Plans are a necessity but not enough. Plans are simply a means to accomplishing a goal. If you have no goals in life your interests are subject to those who do have a goal. Be that in using your ability to plan and/or process knowledge to further their goals(not yours) or simply by your interests being displaced in the execution of their goals.
5. There are more but I can successfully reply without stating the rest

While I commend the Self haters for wanting better for themselves and Africa as a whole.

I question...
1.The range of knowledge they have at there disposal when coming to their stated positions
2.The range of processes they were able to employ on that knowledge.(Which led to their inability to make historically consistent positions)
3.The extent to which their self hate surrounding colonization impedes absorption, development, & execution of new knowledge and processes.
Re: What Is Preventing Africa From Experiencing A Cultural Renaissance? by kingston277(m): 12:02am On Sep 26, 2014
Omarbah:
Can you imagine how many wars can break out as a result of this balkanization? How many small countries would be fighting for land that they claim is theirs?
West Africa has seen her best days during the Ghana and Mali empire.
Some historians would beg to differ; extend those "best days" to the 19th century.

Omarbah: Unfortunately, due to a lack of transportation means those empires could not develop strong armies to establish order throughout the area they ruled to break any rebellion.
Oddly enough, the biggest threat ended up being the Moroccans. Plus I'm sure the camel caravans could've done good in areas the wheel would get stuck.

Omarbah: But those empires were multi ethnic.
After the fall of the Songhai empire that was attempting to do the same as the two previous ones, we ended up with smaller states and that's when the slave trade truly flourished.
According to a book I'm reading, the slave trade flourished thanks to Columbus. If the Euros didn't sail there and see the demand for slaves, the trade would've died off quicker.

Omarbah: West Africa became a land where any group of thugs could organize their slave trading company and sell their own for low quality goods that also undermine our small industries. That culture still persist to this day. Every now and then, you see a group of low life criminals take possession of guns and wreak havoc.
I wasn't aware they sold their own. Do provide sources please. As for the "thugs" thing. I'm not sure how maintain a century long industry is thuggery especially when Africans do it which your comment seems to imply. The only crime of the elites was the magnitude they sold them off. Some even placed restrictions and built up plantations to avoid selling slaves that could be used for local production.

Omarbah: Secondly, we live in an age where even European nation states are finding ways to unite because they believe their nation states can no longer protect them against competition from China or North America. Why would we instead moving in the same direction, go in the opposite?
The Europeans use a thing called the EU(NATO and UN by extension), they have no need to unite politically anymore because they have organizations like the mentioned ones and have moved past that outdated stage. Ever wonder why Scotland is leaving the UK?

Omarbah: If the current states are to broken along ethnic boundaries, we would our children and grand children great good only if we make our entire region one federal republic. Each group could have their small state but within one large ECOWAS.
Better to start small and break up before uniting again. It allows for build up and focus on particular ethnic groups and histories which in turn allows for proper address of issues. Its important to isolate the cancer and destroy it, not cover it up in one big dust bin of a country that still can't live up to the glory of Oyo, Benin or Asante.

1 Like

Re: What Is Preventing Africa From Experiencing A Cultural Renaissance? by pleep(m): 6:40am On Sep 26, 2014
Guys... whether you want to admit it or not we have to use eugenics to purify our race. Something is wrong.. im not yet sure what exactly it is, but i know its there.

And it needs to be eradicated.
Re: What Is Preventing Africa From Experiencing A Cultural Renaissance? by freeafrica365: 11:19am On Sep 26, 2014
pleep: Guys... whether you want to admit it or not we have to use eugenics to purify our race. Something is wrong.. im not yet sure what exactly it is, but i know its there.

^ And this guy is white. Check his previous posts.

This being one: https://www.nairaland.com/1920132/must-read-5-reasons-why
Re: What Is Preventing Africa From Experiencing A Cultural Renaissance? by pansophist(m): 11:57am On Sep 26, 2014
pleep: Guys... whether you want to admit it or not we have to use eugenics to purify our race. Something is wrong.. im not yet sure what exactly it is, but i know its there.

Nothing is wrong with our race, this is a one-side quote that focus on reasons to show human are not equal and strengthning why we are different thus, encouraging discrimination and ignorance. You wont be saying this before Europeans came into Africa, when the continent was flourishing in our own making, but you are saying this after the mess they left that has kept the continent on chaos with a continuous social conditioning of your brain as to why we need them to ''purify'' our race. An idiotic sentence I have heard for a very long time.

One quote for you.

“I sit on a man’s back choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that i am sorry for him and wish to lighten his load by all means possible… except by getting off his back.” Tell your albinos to free the continent, and watch it grow like a grass in few years.

2 Likes

Re: What Is Preventing Africa From Experiencing A Cultural Renaissance? by Omarbah: 2:34pm On Sep 26, 2014
kingston277:
Some historians would beg to differ; extend those "best days" to the 19th century.
Oddly enough, the biggest threat ended up being the Moroccans. Plus I'm sure the camel caravans could've done good in areas the wheel would get stuck.
According to a book I'm reading, the slave trade flourished thanks to Columbus. If the Euros didn't sail there and see the demand for slaves, the trade would've died off quicker.
I wasn't aware they sold their own. Do provide sources please. As for the "thugs" thing. I'm not sure how maintain a century long industry is thuggery especially when Africans do it which your comment seems to imply. The only crime of the elites was the magnitude they sold them off. Some even placed restrictions and built up plantations to avoid selling slaves that could be used for local production.
The Europeans use a thing called the EU(NATO and UN by extension), they have no need to unite politically anymore because they have organizations like the mentioned ones and have moved past that outdated stage. Ever wonder why Scotland is leaving the UK?
Better to start small and break up before uniting again. It allows for build up and focus on particular ethnic groups and histories which in turn allows for proper address of issues. Its important to isolate the cancer and destroy it, not cover it up in one big dust bin of a country that still can't live up to the glory of Oyo, Benin or Asante.
It is well known the role of many monarchs played in the slave trade. Actually some have even apologized formally for the role played in the slave trade by allowing it. Here is a link if you want to know more http://www.nbcnews.com/science/science-news/genetic-quest-leads-african-apology-role-slave-trade-f8C11467842

Yes the slave trade did flourish with the discovery of the Americas, but with the demand came a supply provided in part by Africans that sold their own. If the Songhai empire had been able to establish its authority firmly, this would not have happened. But instead the states with their weak armies and economies could not stop the slave trade.

The EU and NATO are two different organizations, the latter is a kind of joint command for western countries including North America. The EU has the ambition of becoming a stronger political entity to compete with North America and China.

The potential for chaos is just too high to have the current states break along ethnic lines and then reunite. The wars that will ensue will be an excuse for the US and France to invade us once again in the name of " stopping Africans from killing each other" ( believe me, westerners will buy this BS) and to "protect their interests". In that case we will have another "Berlin conference" where the new states will be defined by the new invaders. The best way is to for ECOWAS to have an army and political capital to enforce peace and security if necessary then new states could be "added" to the unions based on the ethnic lines if necessary.

2 Likes

Re: What Is Preventing Africa From Experiencing A Cultural Renaissance? by pleep(m): 5:56am On Sep 27, 2014
pansophist:

Nothing is wrong with our race, this is a one-side quote that focus on reasons to show human are not equal and strengthning why we are different thus, encouraging discrimination and ignorance. You wont be saying this before Europeans came into Africa, when the continent was flourishing in our own making, but you are saying this after the mess they left that has kept the continent on chaos with a continuous social conditioning of your brain as to why we need them to ''purify'' our race. An idiotic sentence I have heard for a very long time.

One quote for you.

“I sit on a man’s back choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that i am sorry for him and wish to lighten his load by all means possible… except by getting off his back.” Tell your albinos to free the continent, and watch it grow like a grass in few years.

Well based on my unbiased observation there are obvious differences between humans races in terms behavior. Mental characteristics like temperament, IQ and libido are just as heritable as physical traits like height and skin color. It is ignorant to assume that people who have developed separately for thousands of years would have the same thought patterns.

I am not saying black people are inferior ( the fact that you interpret it as that is a window into ur soul) just different from other races. These difference hinder our development in the same way a genius with ADD can make failing grades in school while being smarter than his teachers. I also acknowledge that colonization and other other outside involvement have also contributed to black failure. But ask yourself how did we end up at their mercy in the first place?

The downfall of the black race has always come down to the human element. Why did mansa musa coon away hundreds of millions of dollars in gold to the Arabs instead of using that wealth to conquer them? Why are Black Americans more degenerate now, then they were in 1950? Why cant Nigerians figure out how to produce stable electricity in 2014,... do we have a shortage of brilliant engineers? No, its the human element.

Africa has been dealt a bad lot, by the environment and the actions of other races but she was been given alot of opportunities too, opportunities that are always destroyed by baser nature of the negro race. That is what we must first admit too, identify, and then destroy before we can see real advancement in black people
Re: What Is Preventing Africa From Experiencing A Cultural Renaissance? by Omarbah: 2:55pm On Sep 27, 2014
There are cultural differences between people that explain why some tend to be more successful than others but there aren't genetic differences. Nigerians do good in US universities compared to black Americans, are they genetically different? No. It has to do with how we are raised, the values our parents thought us. Germans tend to beat the French in almost anything, war, economics and even Football smiley. Yet, one wouldn't say they are genetically different.

1 Like

Re: What Is Preventing Africa From Experiencing A Cultural Renaissance? by ezeagu(m): 3:23pm On Sep 27, 2014
pleep: I am not saying black people are inferior ( the fact that you interpret it as that is a window into ur soul) just different from other races. These difference hinder our development in the same way a genius with ADD can make failing grades in school while being smarter than his teachers. I also acknowledge that colonization and other other outside involvement have also contributed to black failure. But ask yourself how did we end up at their mercy in the first place?

Africa, just like Japan, China, India, the Americas, the Middle East, and so on, ended up under European hegemony due to historic geopolitical reasons. Europe had a better vantage point in terms of their climate, their proximity to cultural centres, particularly in the middle east, and because of inevitability and the fall of other powers. There are differing causes for each case that have been discussed by a plethora of sources. Africa in particular fell, after 400 years of European contact, because of depopulation, internal wars and the fall of states due a large part to the slave trade.

Counter argument 1 to African "ADD": African states weren't the only ones subjugated by European powers, it was/is pretty much global.

pleep: The downfall of the black race has always come down to the human element. Why did mansa musa coon away hundreds of millions of dollars in gold to the Arabs instead of using that wealth to conquer them? Why are Black Americans more degenerate now, then they were in 1950? Why cant Nigerians figure out how to produce stable electricity in 2014,... do we have a shortage of brilliant engineers? No, its the human element.

Mansa Musa didn't conquer the Arabs, and neither did the Arabs conquer Mansa Musa. If there was no rebound then I hardly see this as a failure although the money could have obviously been better spent. Black Americans are obviously in far superior position now than in the 1950s, if you want to argue that, then list the amount of African American billionaires in the 1950s. I wouldn't call that 'degeneration'.

pleep: Africa has been dealt a bad lot, by the environment and the actions of other races but she was been given alot of opportunities too, opportunities that are always destroyed by baser nature of the negro race. That is what we must first admit too, identify, and then destroy before we can see real advancement in black people

This racial characteristic thing is nonsense really, you just need to look at African examples from before the slave trade / colonisation to see that West Africans especially are capable of organisation. Everything else just sounds like racial hierarchy, and to be fair there are black countries doing better than many non-black.

3 Likes

Re: What Is Preventing Africa From Experiencing A Cultural Renaissance? by Omarbah: 3:37pm On Sep 27, 2014
ezeagu:

This racial characteristic thing is nonsense really, you just need to look at African examples from before the slave trade / colonisation to see that West Africans especially are capable of organisation. Everything else just sounds like racial hierarchy, and to be fair there are black countries doing better than many non-black.
true, we really need to stop focusing on genes. Even white liberals have let go of it. Recently a Chinese American lady put up a list of the 8 most successful groups in the US and she mentioned Nigerians. That goes to tell everyone that culture rather gene makes the difference.
Which is why I talked about a cultural renaissance to raise our continent.

2 Likes

Re: What Is Preventing Africa From Experiencing A Cultural Renaissance? by Fulaman198(m): 4:31pm On Sep 27, 2014
AmunRaOlodumare: The number one cause of African underdevelopment is the use of foreign/colonial language as language of instructions.

Only us poor colonized people use the English/French/Portuguese language as language of instruction to teach math, science, history.

Let's look at some other continent:

Europe: Only British countries use the English language for medium of instructions. The other countries, very numerous, Germany, Sweden, Finland, Spain, Czechoslovakia, Italia, Turkey, Norway etc use their own language as language of instruction. Scandinavian countries are good examples. You can throw in Russia and Israel even if they are not European countries.

Asia: China, Japan, Korea, etc. Japan and South Korea are good examples. South Korea was an agricultural country with low production 60 years ago.

Africa: Oopps!

It must be noted in most of those countries I would suppose learn English as a second language. Which is also very important. If it was not done in Africa and only local languages used, I would be at the forefront of introducing English as a second language in Africa. In Ancient African empires often composed of many populations they used 1)lingua franca 2)multilingualim to speak, trade, intermarry with each others. This is what Africa should use now, at is it done in Europe and Asia for example. African people are naturally multilingual.

Considering the current situation in Nigeria the best policies would be

1- Use of local languages for every school subjects like Mathematic, Science and History. As long as possible up to the university level.
2- Have pupils learn another African language from Nigeria. Possibly a national/regional lingua franca. It can be a choice among many.
3- Have pupils learn English as an international lingua franca (very important but easier due the influence of America in media and the position of English currently in Nigeria).

You can read more about it by reading Unesco research, local university research, as well as this organization (which is an active organization all over Africa not just a website): http://www.casas.co.za/

Basically, it's learn in local languages and learn English and a local/national/regional language as a second language.

I really like these ideas my friend. To make this possible though, we need very educated people from each ethnic group to teach math and science in their language.

1 Like

Re: What Is Preventing Africa From Experiencing A Cultural Renaissance? by Fulaman198(m): 4:33pm On Sep 27, 2014
Omarbah: @ AmunRaOlodumare, great website and what you wrote goes directly in the line with the post. Talking about South African, don't the Afrikaners have their own school where the language is Afrikaans?

That's different though as Afrikaans is actually just a dialect of dutch so it would be easy. It's a European language.
Re: What Is Preventing Africa From Experiencing A Cultural Renaissance? by pleep(m): 4:33pm On Sep 27, 2014
ezeagu:

Africa, just like Japan, China, India, the Americas, the Middle East, and so on, ended up under European hegemony due to historic geopolitical reasons. Europe had a better vantage point in terms of their climate, their proximity to cultural centres, particularly in the middle east, and because of inevitability and the fall of other powers. There are differing causes for each case that have been discussed by a plethora of sources. Africa in particular fell, after 400 years of European contact, because of depopulation, internal wars and the fall of states due a large part to the slave trade.

Counter argument 1 to African "ADD": African states weren't the only ones subjugated by European powers, it was/is pretty much global.
This is a truly horrible counter argument brother, you actually prove my point more then you refute it. Yes,the whole world was under European control at one point but they made it out, while africa could be colonized again tm if the white man decided. Japan Advanced from a Feudal system to being able to defeat a western power (russia) in the sino japanese war in a couple centuries. Another example are the arabs, who were blessed with oil and ,despite being a fanatical group of people, were able to turn many of their countries into paradises on earth.

What does Nigeria do with her oil?.... population too high? ok what about equatorial guinea. Their GPD per capita is 25 fuking thousand per individual and they live in the jungle like monkeys with a 51 year life expectancy

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/rankorder/2004rank.html
Re: What Is Preventing Africa From Experiencing A Cultural Renaissance? by Fulaman198(m): 4:36pm On Sep 27, 2014
Omarbah: The Hausa have a very developed language, I wonder why their schools are not teaching in it. I bet people would be more willing to learn through it than English.

It is due to lack of representatives to teach courses like physics and calculus. Also religion is placed on a higher ladder than these important courses. Religion is good but should be practised in moderation.
Re: What Is Preventing Africa From Experiencing A Cultural Renaissance? by pleep(m): 4:42pm On Sep 27, 2014
ezeagu:

Mansa Musa didn't conquer the Arabs, and neither did the Arabs conquer Mansa Musa. If there was no rebound then I hardly see this as a failure although the money could have obviously been better spent. Black Americans are obviously in far superior position now than in the 1950s, if you want to argue that, then list the amount of African American billionaires in the 1950s. I wouldn't call that 'degeneration'.

The first female billionaire on the planet earth was a black woman named Madame Walker, she lived in 1918 and made her fortune selling weaves, lye and other black haircare products. Now, the black hair industry is a $500 billion dollar market and it is owned by fucking Koreans

That is the definition degeneration.

Not to even talk about the increase in single motherhood, incarceration rates and STD's.
Re: What Is Preventing Africa From Experiencing A Cultural Renaissance? by Fulaman198(m): 4:44pm On Sep 27, 2014
Omarbah:
true, we really need to stop focusing on genes. Even white liberals have let go of it. Recently a Chinese American lady put up a list of the 8 most successful groups in the US and she mentioned Nigerians. That goes to tell everyone that culture rather gene makes the difference.
Which is why I talked about a cultural renaissance to raise our continent.

This I agree with 110%
Re: What Is Preventing Africa From Experiencing A Cultural Renaissance? by pleep(m): 4:47pm On Sep 27, 2014
Fulaman198:

This I agree with 110%
Because the only reason, you and all the rest of the negroes here talk about these issues is to feel good about yourselves, not to learn to truth or find an actual solution.

And someone needs to mention that the slave trade from cameroon to ghana was primarily facilitated by the fulani
Re: What Is Preventing Africa From Experiencing A Cultural Renaissance? by Omarbah: 4:57pm On Sep 27, 2014
pleep:

The first female billionaire on the planet earth was a black woman named Madame Walker, she lived in 1918 and made her fortune selling weaves, lye and other black haircare products. Now, the black hair industry is a $500 billion dollar market and it is owned by fucking Koreans

That is the definition degeneration.

Not to even talk about the increase in single motherhood, incarceration rates and STD's.
Can we have the source?
Re: What Is Preventing Africa From Experiencing A Cultural Renaissance? by pleep(m): 5:27pm On Sep 27, 2014
Re: What Is Preventing Africa From Experiencing A Cultural Renaissance? by Fulaman198(m): 5:28pm On Sep 27, 2014
pleep: Because the only reason, you and all the rest of the negroes here talk about these issues is to feel good about yourselves, not to learn to truth or find an actual solution.

And someone needs to mention that the slave trade from cameroon to ghana was primarily facilitated by the fulani

Me and my fellow Fulani brother OmarBah disagree with this as there were Fulani people enslaved as well.

1 Like

Re: What Is Preventing Africa From Experiencing A Cultural Renaissance? by Omarbah: 5:59pm On Sep 27, 2014
pleep: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/antonia-opiah/the-changing-business-of-_b_4650819.html
thanks for the source, it says that the haircare industry could potentially reach $500 billions but it does not say how much of this market is controlled by Koreans. What would be interesting to see is how much of the weave products represent in this $500 billion because that's what they Koreans control. This won't last forever as we have seeing more and more black people open up their store, it's only a matter of time before they start their own factories. Here is a New York Times article on it http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/09/nyregion/black-women-find-a-growing-business-opportunity-care-for-their-hair.html?emc=edit_tnt_20140908&nlid=59732435&tntemail0=y&_r=1.

These sisters have decided to take action instead of complaining. The hair braiding part of the this industry is controlled by African women in the US and Europe, a Congolese sister has opened the first African hair salon in China. http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/may/23/african-hair-salon-china, and it is even attracting Chinese. http://www.bbc.com/news/business-21421956

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Indigenous Ogbona People In Edo State Celebrate New Yam Festival "Esi" / Ooni Ogunwusi And Gowon Worship At Cathedral Church Of Christ In Lagos / Awujale Is Not Dead, He Is Alive – Cousin Debunks Rumours

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 135
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.