Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,938 members, 7,835,126 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 05:12 AM

Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house. - Politics (450) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house. (1231246 Views)

Looters Risk 20yrs In Jail As Reps Moves For Economic And Financial Crimes Cour / Who Do You Want As Head Of The Economic And Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC)? / Anambra State Light Of The Nation. Economic And Political Powerhouse Of Naija (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (447) (448) (449) (450) (451) (452) (453) ... (524) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house. by AnamCity: 5:23pm On Nov 11, 2015
Anambra stands still for Prof Ike

…As novelist marks 50 years of writing

In the last 50 years, Prof. Chukwuemeka Ike who is also the traditional ruler of Ndikelionwu in Anambra State has written his name in gold as a prolific writer and author. Thus, drums were rolled out in some universities in the country to celebrate him for his novels written in the last 50 years.

As the ivory towers were celebrating this literary icon, his state, Anambra joined in the fray. This was why recently the Dr. Dora Akunyili Women Development Centre, Awka, came alive as the state government celebrated the 50 years of Prof Chukwuemeka Ike as an erudite novelist.
The event attracted eminent personalities from the state and beyond like Governor Willie Obiano who was represented by his Deputy, Dr. Nkem Okeke; former Governor Peter Obi who was represented by Prof Stella Okunna and the former Secretary-General of Commonwealth, Chief Emeka Anyaoku who chaired the occasion.
The occasion also attracted traditional rulers across the state, including the Obi of Onitsha, Igwe Alfred Nnaemeka Achebe, and students of secondary schools in the state who participated in debate, talk-show or cultural display and the state cultural troupe that performed at the colorful event.
The governor also unveiled the jubilee book entitled: “Chukwuemeka Ike: 50 years as a trail blazing novelist,” thanking God for the life of Prof Ike who is also the traditional ruler of Ndikelionwu kingdom.

Obiano described Prof Ike as an ‘Iroko’ in the literary and creative writing world like Prof Achebe, saying that the state had produced great intellectuals who were recognized across the world due to their creative contributions.
He stated that Prof Ike was a role model to upcoming students in the state and urged them to read their books in order to attain the same height the literary legend had reached in life, calling on students to read not pass exams, but to read for knowledge.
In his speech, the Chairman on the occasion, Chief Anyoku said that creative writers like Prof Ike were celebrated all over the world but were hardly accorded the recognition and pride of place they deserved in Nigeria.
He noted that his first novel Toads for Supper (1965), The Naked Gods (1970), the Potter’s, Wheel (1973), Sunset at Dawn (1976), Expo ‘77 (1980), The Chicken Chasers (1980), The Bottled Leopard (1985), and Our Children are Coming (1990) had made him to enter into the Africa pantheon of literary fame.

According to him, “the efforts of literary giants like Ike in the recreation of African society and history cannot be over-stated. Prof Ike’s life has been much more than writing. He is a long standing university professor and administrator, and has also served as the registrar of the West African Examination Counicl (WAEC). Today, Prof Ike is a distinguished traditional ruler Eze Ikelionwu XI of Ndikelionwu.
“Unfortunately, the efforts of our heroes like Chukwuemeka Ike appear now to be threatened by the growing deterioration in the standard of teaching and education in our primary and secondary schools; and even also in our tertiary institutions. I refer here, especially to the decline in the teaching of the English Language.

“The quality of education in our nation, I have continued to question the rationale that led to the stoppage of the teaching of history in a developing country like ours. I call for the full restoration of the teaching of history in all our secondary schools and colleges.
“However, the history that must be taught to our young people, and which should remain the subject of research by our scholars should be the history of our peoples and of Nigeria, as well as the history of Africa.
“Part of the explanation for this is, of course, that the fairly recent information technology has resulted in people, especially the young people, becoming more addicted to the use of computers. However, computers are still not widely available, especially in non-urban areas where the majority of our young people live and go to school.”

Also in her remarks, the state Commissioner for Education, Prof Kate Omenugha urged the students of the state to take Prof Ike as role model in order to become creative writers by studying very hard to achieve the goal.
Commissioner for Information, Culture and Tourism, Dr. Uju Nworgu, described the literary icon as a man of many parts whom after 50 years of creative writing had gone home to serve his people as the traditional ruler.
She urged parents to inculcate in their children reading culture than to allow them engage in watching of home movies which may lead them into violent or immoral acts, stressing that the students of today should emulate the virtues of Prof Ike.
The chief celebrant, Prof Ike stated that his first 50 years celebration as a novelist started at the University of Nigeria, Nsukka in May, disclosing that he wrote his first and second novels while he served as the Registrar of UNN, adding that his UNN years watered the grounds for his scholarly books.

5 Likes

Re: Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house. by WIZGUY69(m): 5:29pm On Nov 11, 2015
Scholes007:
make una forget this business and trade for now, whether the igbos or yorubas are better i don't care. All i care about is the development of igboland simple

thanks.
I wish Igbo land can develop to the level of Yoruba land.; iseee
coz alaibo is really holding us back here in the south cool
Re: Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house. by FreeGlobe(f): 5:35pm On Nov 11, 2015
The Bishop of Sokoto Diocese, His Lordship, Most Reverend Matthew Hassan Kukah has commended the governor of Anambra State, Chief Willie Obiano for his numerous efforts to speed up the development of Anambra State in the past 18 months.

Bishop Kukah who spoke during a courtesy visit on Governor Obiano at the Government House, Awka on Monday applauded him for the giant strides of his administration and implored him not to relevant in his efforts.

“Your Excellency, we are witnesses to the efforts you have made to serve your people. We ask God to bless you and stay with you and to help you keep Anambra safe,” Bishop Kukah prayed and further observed that it was time politicians made politics a cleaner engagement in order to motivate the younger generations to emulate their footsteps.

Said he; “politicians must strive to make politics noble. When people get a chance to serve, my prayer and hope is that people coming after them would learn from them because politics has become a career.”

He condemned what he described as a visible disconnection between Nigerian leaders and their subjects and called for provision of an enabling environment to prepare youths for leadership positions in the future.

Bishop Kukah therefore urged Nigerians who have the opportunity to serve their country to be mindful of the weight of their offices and to set a good example in public conduct.

In his speech after briefly putting the Executive Council Meeting on hold to welcome the Bishop extolled him, for his rare courage, fearlessness and commitment to the cause of the common man, stressing that the Bishop motivates him to speak their mind on burning issues with honesty and fearlessness.
“I commend your courage in the way you present your views on Nigeria and your ability to speak without fear. Sometimes, we fear that your speeches may land you in trouble, but because you speak the truth, you always speak without fear or favour,” the governor remarked.

Governor Obiano commended Bishop Kukah for his willingness to offer wise counsel to pubic office holders, urging them to see governance as a call to duty. He praised him for his dedication, hinesty and commitment to the spread of the word of God.

Earlier the opening remarks, the Commissioner for Youths and Sports, Ogbuefi Tony Nnacheta observed that Bishop Kukah meant different things to different people, describing him as a scholar, towering intellectual giant, and a Bishop Without Border who according to him, has been involved not only in the religious and political activities in the Northern Nigeria, but also in the making of Nigeria for over 20 years.

3 Likes

Re: Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house. by investnow2013: 6:19pm On Nov 11, 2015
InyinyaAgbaOku:

Backtosender said Edo, I come dey wonder. I just know the company is Igbo.
No they are from Orlu!!!!.....The main man died some years back, but his son is very innovative in running that company

1 Like

Re: Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house. by Scholes007(m): 6:20pm On Nov 11, 2015
WIZGUY69:

thanks.
I wish Igbo land can develop to the level of Yoruba land.; iseee
coz alaibo is really holding us back here in the south cool
ok o! tell your brothers to keep going and not wait for us.

5 Likes

Re: Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house. by thinkhome: 6:46pm On Nov 11, 2015
investnow2013:
This is only a rural village having from one man Muilti billion Naira worth of investments which includes 14 Storey Muilti-purpose building,High court,Police station,Pharmaceutical industry,Roads,Schools etc!.Umuchukwu Kachaanuoooo!!!
That's what I call the "think home" mentality. If all wealthy Igbos can think like him, believe me, nobody will have time for the protest presently going on in the SE. We won't even feel the marginalization because majority would be gainfully employed and living a good life instead of always taking all the employment opportunities to other people's land while we continue to blame the government.

8 Likes

Re: Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house. by Nobody: 7:48pm On Nov 11, 2015
Please you people should ignore that Yoruba clown. He's referring to a tribe called iboes and you are responding, unu abu iboes?

13 Likes

Re: Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house. by Cjrane2: 9:17pm On Nov 11, 2015
enochnochi:
Please you people should ignore that Yoruba clown. He's referring to a tribe called iboes and you are responding, unu abu iboes?

Nnaa,
Sometimes some of our boys carry on like their IQ is below normal.
That yoruba boy came here today looking for someone to help him derail the thread and even posting to himself using a different moniker. how it is so hard to ignore him baffles me. In spite of a thousand progress issues we can always comment on here being constantly updated by investnow2013, some of our boys will rather waste their time,data and energy responding to a yoruba lunatic. odi egwu.

7 Likes

Re: Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house. by Nobody: 6:31am On Nov 12, 2015
investnow2013:
From Orlu
are sure? God is good is from Edo state. Maybe the recent md is from Abia after the owner was kidnapped and killed
Re: Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house. by patrick89(m): 6:51am On Nov 12, 2015
investnow2013:
Ife eji abu Onye Anambra erika erika!!!(pix) Rural Village Community of Umuchukwu Orumba South Lga of Anambra State!

Imagine if we have a vibrant media house like TV station, we would have used it to propagate this laudable project for those that building in abuja and lagos to see, and be shamed!

3 Likes

Re: Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house. by Nobody: 7:43am On Nov 12, 2015
Igbos on the rise

10 Likes

Re: Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house. by investnow2013: 12:46pm On Nov 12, 2015
liberty300:
are sure? God is good is from Edo state. Maybe the recent md is from Abia after the owner was kidnapped and killed
Yes!.. He is from Orlu. It was sad then, but the son is also very good!.

2 Likes

Re: Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house. by investnow2013: 12:48pm On Nov 12, 2015
FKO81 any update?
Re: Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house. by investnow2013: 12:49pm On Nov 12, 2015
Operation Keep Anambra State continues!

9 Likes

Re: Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house. by investnow2013: 12:56pm On Nov 12, 2015
More

7 Likes

Re: Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house. by FKO81(m): 12:56pm On Nov 12, 2015
investnow2013:
This is what is expected of Any Anambraman living anywhere outside Anambra/Igboland to do!.... This is what we call real love for Igboland!.
Bro I love that guy die, imagine this investment at Umuchu? I guess it's bigger than ongoing Onitsha hotel?

3 Likes

Re: Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house. by Abagworo(m): 12:57pm On Nov 12, 2015
investnow2013:
This man is destroying the lie that you can only site investments in the city!..... This man is on his own turning a rural community of Umuchukwu into a Mega City!

This is wonderful. You see when I write people misunderstand me. If most Igbos can emulate this man in raising this type of solid structure we would have had a real city by now. I will definitely put up something like this in Owerri or Enugu very soon. God bless this true Igbo son.
Re: Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house. by investnow2013: 1:00pm On Nov 12, 2015
FKO81:

Bro I love that guy die, imagine this investment at Umuchu? I guess it's bigger than ongoing Onitsha hotel?
Not Umuchu,but Umuchukwu!.... Umuchu is Aguata, but Umuchukwu is in Orumba South!

1 Like

Re: Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house. by Abagworo(m): 1:00pm On Nov 12, 2015
investnow2013:
This is what is expected of Any Anambraman living anywhere outside Anambra/Igboland to do!.... This is what we call real love for Igboland!.

100% true. Who is the man? These are the kind of men that deserve to be in Igbo hall of fame.

2 Likes

Re: Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house. by investnow2013: 1:05pm On Nov 12, 2015
Abagworo:

100% true. Who is the man? These are the kind of men that deserve to be in Igbo hall of fame.
This is the Man with unusual grace!.

2 Likes

Re: Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house. by Cjrane2: 1:07pm On Nov 12, 2015
Hopefully in those sections of the road median that is not covered with concrete, they will plant trees like in the second picture.

6 Likes

Re: Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house. by FKO81(m): 1:12pm On Nov 12, 2015
investnow2013:
FKO81 any update?
grin grin
Bro I thank God I came home to be part of the development going on in Anambra state, I have been so busy trying to setup my second biz, thank God for his grace just space of one year, there are potentials in this great state, I'll update soon, Aroma flyover will be ready this month and it's the longest among the three, work is on high speed on new airport road, since the rain stopped, so many project are on going, Gov Obiano is doing great. Thanks bro for your resilients.

6 Likes

Re: Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house. by SpaceTour: 1:14pm On Nov 12, 2015
B.astard, you are not needed here. Get the hell out of here.

[s]
Abagworo:

[/s]
Re: Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house. by SpaceTour: 1:17pm On Nov 12, 2015
Jobless frustrated old fool, imagine a deranged poor b.astard talking? Have you been able to feed yourself or your poor old mother with whom you live with in a dingy 1room somewhere at Borokiri? Hopeless fool..

[s]
Abagworo:

This is wonderful. You see when I write people misunderstand me. If most Igbos can emulate this man in raising this type of solid structure we would have had a real city by now. I will definitely put up something like this in Owerri or Enugu very soon. God bless this true Igbo son.
[/s]

1 Like

Re: Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house. by investnow2013: 1:21pm On Nov 12, 2015
SpaceTour:
B.astard, you are not needed here. Get the hell out of here.

[s][/s]
Please bro now is the time to forgive & forget!. We may be from deferent Mothers, but We are still all brothers!.Please stop for God's sake!

2 Likes

Re: Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house. by investnow2013: 1:21pm On Nov 12, 2015
FKO81:
grin grin
Bro I thank God I came home to be part of the development going on in Anambra state, I have been so busy trying to setup my second biz, thank God for his grace just space of one year, there are potentials in this great state, I'll update soon, Aroma flyover will be ready this month and it's the longest among the three, work is on high speed on new airport road, since the rain stopped, so many project are on going, Gov Obiano is doing great. Thanks bro for your resilients.
Udo!
Re: Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house. by investnow2013: 1:24pm On Nov 12, 2015
Cjrane2:
Hopefully in those sections of the road median that is not covered with concrete, they will plant trees like in the second picture.
You are correct!.... Trees will make a lot of deference!. Anambra State Commissioner of Environment please take note!

4 Likes

Re: Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house. by SpaceTour: 1:26pm On Nov 12, 2015
Abagworo is cursed and evil that is why he is jobless and hopeless, we do not need a cursed person here please. I will roll with him on the Imo thread if he does not avoid this thread like a plague. The i.diot moves from thread to thread all over NL commenting like a fool 24/7. Is that how somebody with responsibilities and engagements does?

investnow2013:
Please bro now is the time to forgive & forget!. We may be from deferent Mothers, but We are still all brothers!.Please stop for God's sake!

3 Likes

Re: Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house. by Abagworo(m): 1:28pm On Nov 12, 2015
investnow2013:
This is the Man with unusual grace!.

He looks humble and slim fit. God bless him in all his endeavours.
Re: Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house. by investnow2013: 1:34pm On Nov 12, 2015
SpaceTour:
Abagworo is cursed and evil that is why he is jobless and hopeless, we do not need a cursed person here please. I will roll with him on the Imo thread if he does not avoid this thread like a plague. The i.diot moves from thread to thread all over NL commenting like a fool 24/7. Is that how somebody with responsibility and engagements does?

Ife obuna omere gi gbahara biko maka Chineke!
Re: Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house. by SpaceTour: 1:38pm On Nov 12, 2015
Hopeless being get lost..

[s]
Abagworo:

He looks humble and slim fit. God bless him in all his endeavours.
[/s]
Re: Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house. by SpaceTour: 1:40pm On Nov 12, 2015
There is no way light and darkness can co-exist. The i.diot is a frustrated monster that should be caught and be stoned to death mercilessly..

investnow2013:
Ife obuna omere gi gbahara biko maka Chineke!

(1) (2) (3) ... (447) (448) (449) (450) (451) (452) (453) ... (524) (Reply)

Enugu, The Pride Of The East. / Update on developments in Anambra state-photos / Few Pics From Imo State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.