Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,832 members, 7,810,201 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:23 PM

The Bankruptcy Of The Prosperity Gospel: An Exercise In Biblical And Theological - Religion (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Bankruptcy Of The Prosperity Gospel: An Exercise In Biblical And Theological (25946 Views)

Opinion: Women Preaching In The Church Is Not Biblical And Its Forbidden. / A Theological Discuss On Tithing By Rhymeyjohn, Image123, Mark Miwerds & Candour / Inviting Tithers To A Theological Discuss with Miwerds and Candour On Tithing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Bankruptcy Of The Prosperity Gospel: An Exercise In Biblical And Theological by BabaGnoni: 9:48pm On Oct 19, 2014
^^^^

[size=14pt]Health, Wealth & Happiness
Has the Prosperity Gospel Overshadowed the Gospel of Christ?
[/size]
David W. Jones
Russell S. Woodbridge

[size=14pt]Introduction[/size]

Cindy, an accountant in Florida, listened intently to the prosperity preachers on television. She heard their message, “Be faithful in your giving and God will reward you financially.” And she saw their message—that is, she could be financially successful just like the heralds of the prosperity gospel. Inspired by their message, as well as their example, Cindy sent money to the ministries of Joyce Meyer, Paula White, and Benny Hinn, hoping to be rewarded for her faithfulness. She waited and waited, but the financial reward never appeared.

Like many others, she first thought that she did not have enough faith to receive God’s financial blessing. Later she realized that the prosperity preachers’ promises were just plain false. Instead of improving her economic situation, Cindy’s dabbling with the prosperity gospel made her financial woes worse. She ended up having to borrow money to buy groceries. Today Cindy is understandably angry, bitter, and disillusioned.

Kevin is also disillusioned. Paralyzed from the waist down due to a congenital birth defect, Kevin wants to walk. When as a boy he heard that a faith healer was coming to Raleigh, North Carolina, he begged his parents to take him to the crusade. The message Kevin heard there was that if he had enough faith, he would be healed; but his hopes for healing were quickly dashed when ushers at the crusade prevented him from sitting near the front, despite his disabled condition. Although seated near the back of the auditorium, Kevin did not give up his hopes of being chosen for divine healing. During the invitation Kevin waved his hands at the ushers to get their attention, but to no avail—they over-looked him, a seemingly obvious candidate for healing. An advocate for the handicapped, Brian Darby observes that, like many others, Kevin’s sense of euphoria came crashing down when the hoped-for healing did not occur. Today, Kevin remains in his wheelchair, disappointed but alive—unlike others who have stopped medical treatments after beinghealedat a prosperity gospel crusade and, in rare cases, have died shortly thereafter

While these may be sensational examples of the influence (and failings) of the prosperity gospel, other less extreme examples abound. Evangelical churches are full of people who, perhaps unknowingly, regularly watch prosperity gospel teachers on television.

Here is a common scenario: the polished, friendly, motivational preacher asks for money in order to support his ministry; in return, he promises prayer on the donors’ behalf, as well as a financial blessing from God. The viewers then send money because they appreciate the positive teaching and could use a little bit more money to pay their bills. When an increase in income does not occur, however, consumers of the prosperity message often become self-critical, thinking that the failure rests in their own lack of faith, or they become disappointed and angry with God. Undoubtedly, this scenario is played out repeatedly as significant numbers of Christians are influenced by the prosperity gospel.

What happened?
How did the modern church arrive at a place where otherwise orthodox Christians would come to view God as a way to achieve personal success and as a means to attain material prosperity?

In pondering these questions, consider the words of renowned pastor Charles Spurgeon
, who just over one hundred years ago spoke these words to the then-largest congregation in all Christendom, “I believe that it is anti-Christian and unholy for any Christian to live with the object of accumulating wealth.

You will say, ‘Are we not to strive all we can to get all the money we can?’

You may do so. I cannot doubt but what, in so doing, you may do service to the cause of God. But what I said was that to live with the object of accumulating wealth is anti-Christian.
"

Over the years, however, the message preached in some of the largest churches in the world has changed. A new gospel is being taught today. This new gospel is perplexing—it omits Jesus and neglects the cross. Instead of promising Christ, this gospel promises health and wealth, and offers advice such as: declare to yourself that everything that you touch will prosper, for, in the words of a leading prosperity gospel preacher, “There is a miracle in your mouth.”

According to this new gospel, if believers repeat positive confessions, focus their thoughts, and generate enough faith, God will release blessings upon their lives. This new gospel claims that God desires and even promises that believers will live a healthy and financially prosperous life.

[size=14pt]A new gospel is being taught today.
This new gospel is perplexing—it omits Jesus and neglects the cross
[/size]

This is the core message of what is known as the prosperity gospel. This gospel has been given many names, such as the “name it and claim it” gospel, the “blab it and grab it” gospel, the “health and wealth” gospel, the “word of faith” movement, the “gospel of success,” “positive confession theology,” and, as this book will refer to it, the “prosperity gospel.No matter what name is used, the teaching is the same. This egocentric gospel teaches that God wants believers to be materially prosperous in the here-and-now. Robert Tilton, one of the prosperity gospel’s most well-known spokesmen, writes, “I believe that it is the will of God for all to prosper because I see it in the Word [of God], not because it has worked mightily for someone else. I do not put my eyes on men, but on God who gives me the power to get wealth.”

Without question, the prosperity gospel continues to grow and influence Christians. Fifty of the largest two hundred sixty churches in the United States promote the prosperity gospel. The pastors of some of the largest churches in America proclaim the prosperity gospel, including Kenneth Copeland, T. D. Jakes, Joel Osteen, Frederick Price, Creflo Dollar, Kenneth Hagin Jr., and Eddie Long.

Through the Internet, tele-vision, and radio, the prosperity gospel reaches millions around the world every day. Joel Osteen’s Web site notes that his television program is available in one hundred countries, while roughly one million people download his services each week. Likewise, Joyce Meyer claims that her television program, Enjoying Everyday Life, reaches two-thirds of the world through television and radio and has been translated into thirty-eight languages.

Given its departure from the historical, orthodox message of the church, one would think that most Bible-believing Christians would reject the prosperity gospel. However, this is not the case. The prosperity gospel is spreading beyond the confines of the charismatic movement, where it has been traditionally strong, and is taking root in the larger evangelical church. A recent survey found that in the United States, 46 percent of self-proclaimed Christians agree with the idea that God will grant material riches to all believers who have enough faith.
Why is this so? The prosperity gospel has an appealing but fatal message: accept God and He will bless you—because you deserve it.

The appeal of this teaching crosses racial, gender, denominational, and international boundaries. The prosperity gospel is on the rise not only in the United States but also in Africa, South America, India, and Korea, among many other places. In 2006, the Pew Forum conducted an international survey of Pentecostals and other like-minded Christians. The results of this survey were staggering.

In Nigeria, 96 percent of those who professed belief in God either completely agreed or mostly agreed that God will grant material riches if one has enough faith. Believers in the countries of India (82 percent) and Guatemala (71 percent) gave similar responses. Likewise, a significant number of those surveyed asserted their belief that God will grant good health and relief from sickness to believers who have enough faith. When the Pew Forum asked if faith in God was an important factor in people’s economic success, roughly 90 percent of those who responded in Kenya, Nigeria, and South Africa said it was

Read the rest of the excerpt at
http://store.kregel.com/client/excerpt/978-0-8254-2930-9.pdf

1 Like

Re: The Bankruptcy Of The Prosperity Gospel: An Exercise In Biblical And Theological by Gombs(m): 9:53pm On Oct 19, 2014
Hey LambanoPeace, I just breezed through the book, because I'm sleepy. I created the thread today though.

https://www.nairaland.com/1957135/midas-touch-balanced-approach-biblical#27284283

Cheers smiley

2 Likes

Re: The Bankruptcy Of The Prosperity Gospel: An Exercise In Biblical And Theological by trustman: 10:34pm On Oct 19, 2014
Nora544 and BabaGnoni thank you so much for these references you've provided. I hope skeptics of the evil of the 'Prosperity Gospel' will be objective enough to take time and go through these materials and take the right decisions.

1 Like

Re: The Bankruptcy Of The Prosperity Gospel: An Exercise In Biblical And Theological by nora544: 11:09pm On Oct 19, 2014
trustman:
Nora544 and BabaGnoni thank you so much for these references you've provided. I hope skeptics of the evil of the 'Prosperity Gospel' will be objective enough to take time and go through these materials and take the right decisions.

I have more informations and some very good books but my problem is that it is written in german my language and I will try to translate it.
I feel that it could be helpful when we hear what people outside afria and america speak about this movement with some very good informations about the different charismatic/pentecost movements and why it is not so strong in main europa.

3 Likes

Re: The Bankruptcy Of The Prosperity Gospel: An Exercise In Biblical And Theological by WinsomeX: 1:07am On Oct 20, 2014
BabaGnoni:
^^^^

In Nigeria, 96 percent of those who professed belief in God either completely agreed or mostly agreed that God will grant material riches if one has enough faith. Believers in the countries of India (82 percent) and Guatemala (71 percent) gave similar responses. Likewise, a significant number of those surveyed asserted their belief that God will grant good health and relief from sickness to believers who have enough faith. When the Pew Forum asked if faith in God was an important factor in people’s economic success, roughly 90 percent of those who responded in Kenya, Nigeria, and South Africa said it was

Read the rest of the excerpt at
http://store.kregel.com/client/excerpt/978-0-8254-2930-9.pdf

Sir, how does one get a copy of this book o.

The PDF file has succeeded in wetting my appetite.
Re: The Bankruptcy Of The Prosperity Gospel: An Exercise In Biblical And Theological by nora544: 1:37am On Oct 20, 2014
WinsomeX:

Sir, how does one get a copy of this book o.

The PDF file has succeeded in wetting my appetite.

I have my book from amazon.
I didnot know if you could get e-book in nigeria.
Re: The Bankruptcy Of The Prosperity Gospel: An Exercise In Biblical And Theological by WinsomeX: 2:24am On Oct 20, 2014
nora544:

I have my book from amazon.
I didnot know if you could get e-book in nigeria.

I guess one will purchase it. right?

I will check amazon then.

Just checked and found it.

www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005LH5QO2/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1413768415&sr=8-2&pi=SL75

It cost about $13.
Re: The Bankruptcy Of The Prosperity Gospel: An Exercise In Biblical And Theological by feedthenation(m): 10:36am On Oct 20, 2014
Other books written a while back are:

'The Disease of the Health and Wealth Gospels' - written by Gordon D. Fee

'In Pursuit of the Almighty's Dollar: A History of Money and American Protestanism' - written by James Hudnut-Beumler
Re: The Bankruptcy Of The Prosperity Gospel: An Exercise In Biblical And Theological by Image123(m): 2:46pm On Oct 20, 2014
Candour:

as usual, you leave the entire discussion and start chasing shadows. if you believe the bolded, why the need for the long epistle? abi you're getting high BP? If you agree we are seeing it from different angles, then so be it. That isn't even material to the issue being discussed here.

Also with the persistent reference to an unclad Saul, i hope all is well with you?

What shadows are we chasing? Were you not involved "in leaving the entire discussion"? Now, the joke went sour on you, you remember your roots? You should have displayed your definition of maturity and ignore, Mr do as i say not as i do.
You're shameless, you should at least apologise after you subtly maligned me and i gave you biblical evidence for my position/take on Elijah's. Instead, you'd rather save face and talk bold face, i pity you.

then let it stay irrelevant to you. Why this immaturity to always run back to your vomit? You claim a post is irrelevant but your itchy fingers will always betray you into replying. You didnt read the portion Nanny posted yet you hypocritically asked for the link? If it pleases you, you can deny Hagin now because ''Midas Touch'' has just showed you up for the liar that you are.

Na you get burdens my dear, plenty burdens that have made you very unstable.
All what you wrote in that post was irrelevant to what i've being saying on this thread, and i did not touch it. It's your vomit, not mine, and i have no intentions of addressing it.
You said i have a PROFFESSED LOVE FOR HAGIN. i asked you to tell me about it, please remind me of it. At least it is professed. You probably hope to brush that aside as well. That is the way you lie with carefully phrased words and deceive people who are not careful. ''Midas Touch'' has shown nothing against me. If anything, it has shown the deceptive nature of you and your fellows that were praising just some selected parts to the high heavens and not hinting readers of the parts you do not support in the book. You as usual just wanted to use the book as a tool to fulfil your own purpose, it is backfiring as we speak. There is no hypocrisy in asking for the link. Nanny initially said she would provide the link, i had heard of the book before. So when she started posting excerpts, i reminded/asked her for the link so i could access the book. It is that simple and plain. Only people with issues would read other meanings into that.

When i say you're confused and unstable, you go begin vex. who first quoted each other on this glorious thread? try and internalise this: you and i aren't having a private conversation. I've been telling you since forever that i post here for the benefit of the larger public. You quoted my post and i replied with the NL community in mind like i always do. If you find my post irrelevant, simply ignore it. Thats what i do. Thats what mature people do. You dont have to reply every mention. I don't. If that diminishes you, it isnt my fault.

Why do you think that i go begin vex? Any reason or proof for this raving thoughts and assumptions of yours? There was no dispute or debate about who first quoted who, i wonder why you spring up that fallacy. When you quote or mention a person in a post, it is taken for granted that that post is PRIMARILY addressed to, or requires the attention of the mentioned. Internalize that and stop playing smarter than yourself.
Re: The Bankruptcy Of The Prosperity Gospel: An Exercise In Biblical And Theological by Image123(m): 2:46pm On Oct 20, 2014
shdemidemi:

Gosh! You have a knack of tiptoeing around issues without saying anything substantial.

You DO NOT believe the bible, if you did you would not say that the Bible is not written to you. You do not know or believe Jesus to be same today as He was yesterday. If you did, you would know that Jesus can still do today what He did yesterday. These are not assumptions or speculations, these are facts visible to anybody who goes through your posts on NL.

Okay sir.

I called you an enemy of the faith because of your obvious love for self which influence almost all of your interpretation of scripture. Jesus said if you do not hate self, you are not fit to be my disciple. It is obvious you need to check yourself and who you put first- GOD OR SELF.
These are baseless and unfounded accusations. One characteristic of baseless and unfounded accusations is that ANYBODY CAN MAKE THEM. Please check through my posts and produce 3 posts that show this obvious love for self you are on about.

The gospel is the story about the death, burial and resurrection of Christ. It is the news that pave a way to the jews and the gentile in the present administration of grace. It is the gateway for eternal life that must be heralded primarily to unbelievers.

NB- belief in the gospel is the key to the door of salvation but doctrine is needed for spiritual growth of believers.

So by some magic or miracle or mysticism, you think i do not have any concern for these? What triggered/brought about your doubts?

Any doctrine that does not point man to God but to self and what self can do to get health, wealth, lucre et al is a 'body glorifying message'. We glorify God when all we say and teach point people to God's goodness regardless of experiential or physical proof.

Sorry, I won't pâste any post...

How convenient of you not to paste any post or example, but ironically, you found it convenient to conclude that my posts glorify the body and rarely glorify God. The doctrine of the OP glorifies man. Any doctrine that thinks God does not bless people materially glorifies man. A sane man would ascribe all the glory and his achievements to God. Job knew that all he had came from God. Daniel opined same. Of his property and family, Job said "the LORD gave, and the LORD hath taken away". Hear Daniel and Paul.
Dan 4:32 And they shall drive thee from men, and thy dwelling shall be with the beasts of the field: they shall make thee to eat grass as oxen, and seven times shall pass over thee, until thou know that the most High ruleth in the kingdom of men, and giveth it to whomsoever he will.
Act 17:28 For in him we live, and move, and have our being; as certain also of your own poets have said, For we are also his offspring.

A sane person ascribes his riches and provisions to God. The OP says it is an egocentric gospel that God wants believers to be materially wealthy. Proponents blindly argue that it is not God that has given wealth and the power to get wealth to the rich. They try to point us to names and links of people who supposedly have wealth and health without God. That is the extremity i stand against but which proponents of this bankrupt thread glorify. God is the source of wealth and health, He is a good God.

The fallen structure is the present sinful and decaying body of man.

If you think your loyalty lies with God, I humbly exhort you to check again because it does not reflect in your posts.

Your meter or whatever device you use to measure people's loyalties is faulty. You don't have capacity or ability to do that, neither do i. Angels have.

Like I said, your posts reek of one who got the entire fundamentals of the Christian Faith wrong. Like you, even apostle Peter asked Jesus what was in there for them as they followed christ, guess what Jesus told Peter...
Again, Mention one scripture i have twisted on this thread to validate my lustful agenda. Then give the untwisted meaning of that scripture, thanks or remain a liar and a false accuser. i'll show you what Jesus told Peter BTW. i'm that magnanimous.
Mat 19:27 Then answered Peter and said unto him, Behold, we have forsaken all, and followed thee; what shall we have therefore?
Mat 19:28 And Jesus said unto them, Verily I say unto you, That ye which have followed me, in the regeneration when the Son of man shall sit in the throne of his glory, ye also shall sit upon twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel.
Mat 19:29 And every one that hath forsaken houses, or brethren, or sisters, or father, or mother, or wife, or children, or lands, for my name's sake, shall receive a hundredfold, and shall inherit everlasting life.
Re: The Bankruptcy Of The Prosperity Gospel: An Exercise In Biblical And Theological by Image123(m): 3:05pm On Oct 20, 2014
WinsomeX:

Still not disappointing... don't worry your own moment of truth will reach you; same as it came to most of us and to nannymcphee.

Unfounded claims and gossips... lol. They will remain so as long as you don't have the courage to open those links and study the evidenced provided there.

Which of the people did you say are not around... the WoF brood of vipers that litter the Lag/Ibad expressway , the ones on TBN or the ones whose billboard are all over our streets and television? Oh, if you mean Hagin, ah... I get you. We don't need him. We have enough of him around to answer queries on his behalf, if they can.

Fortunately a lot more people are talking here than me and the OP. Just shine your eyes and you may see the light.

Moment of what truth exactly? What is truth, do you have an idea? The Word of God is truth, not some discovery about doctrines or about men. You were warned by God not to place your foundations, trust and hope on men but on Christ. My foundation is in the Word of God and that Word says "Beloved, I wish above all things that thou mayest prosper and be in health, even as thy soul prospereth." i dare not do anything against that but for that truth. The truth says " let them say continually, Let the LORD be magnified, which hath pleasure in the prosperity of his servant." i don't have a care in the world what links or books or youtube videos men may produce. God has spoken, twice have i heard it.
You referred to 'courage to open those links and study the evidenced provided there.' i'd rather courage to open the Word of God and study it. What is my business with what some preacher somewhere has to say or do when i have the Greater One speaking and His Holy Book waiting. If you seriously think some man will make a miracle or a mistake that would influence my foundations, think again. We have not followed cunningly devised fables, i know who i am, by the grace of God I am what I am: and his grace which was bestowed upon me was not in vain.
Which of the people that you spend so much time discussing and gloating over is around? Again, what is the light? This quote from you? " The error of the Prosperity Gospel is "God wants believers to be materially wealthy". Is that the light? Light to see what exactly? i'm okay with what i see, thanks. For we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels for the suffering of death, crowned with glory and honor; that he by the grace of God should taste death for every man. that's what i see. And i will continue to shout with a loud voice, Worthy is the Lamb that was slain to receive power, and riches, and wisdom, and strength, and honor, and glory, and blessing.
He was slain, He died to receive RICHES and power, and glory, and honour, and BLESSINGS. Guess who He gave dem gifts, MEN.
Re: The Bankruptcy Of The Prosperity Gospel: An Exercise In Biblical And Theological by Image123(m): 3:11pm On Oct 20, 2014
WinsomeX:
I got this quote from the link nannymcphee provided here. I felt it is very instructive to our discuss here. I am going to ask Image123 tI tell me what he thinks of it:

"I have talked with missionaries from around the world. One interesting thing they have noticed in places like India and elsewhere where bona fide pagan idolatry is practiced openly is that often they will come across someone who added a cross or crucifix among their idols. When asked about it, the idolater will typically answer, “Oh, a man came and told me about this Jesus who loved me and died for my sins…and who wants to bless me and heal me. I thought, ‘He is so nice. I’ll add Him to my collection of gods.'” In other words, whenever an idolater is not told he needs to repent of his idolatry, he or she simply adds Jesus to their “deity collection.”

Culled from http://richvermillion.com/2008/01/01/the-real-gospel/

Repentance should be preached, the gospel is a full package. The gospel is not one sided. The good news includes repentance, freedom from sin and victory over satan and the world, health and healing, provision and prosperity, ABUNDANT life etc.
Luk 24:47 And that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.

Luk 4:17 And there was delivered unto him the book of the prophet Isaiah. And when he had opened the book, he found the place where it was written,
Luk 4:18 The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised,
Luk 4:19 To preach the acceptable year of the Lord.
Re: The Bankruptcy Of The Prosperity Gospel: An Exercise In Biblical And Theological by Image123(m): 3:22pm On Oct 20, 2014
nora544:

When you have read the devil who could heal you would know that he didnot belong to the prosperity preachers and that he died 1935.
He is more known for fake healing but I know you didnot read this from the guy from the University of south africa. John Lake is well know for his fake healings and Benny Hinn wrote a book about him and Hinn is also in the prosperity gospel and he makes fake healings.

Hagin is the father of the prosperity gospel and this are two pair of shoes.

First the book come out from this fake Pastor who was in jail and when you have nothing you try to finde a new way to make money so he wrote about the fake of the prosperity gospel.

Hagin has fear that this coud be a new movement in America so he write his book where he want if this movement will became big he can say, sorry I was wrong here you see I write that is was not okay.

read this book Health, Wealth and Happiness, theologians David Jones and Russell Woodbridge characterize the doctrine as poor theology.

Nora, i'm disappointed with you. i sincerely hope and pray that God is not disappointed with you. What is all this rambling you have made in this post? You said John G Lake is the founder of healing centers. Then you said Kenneth Hagin is the founder of healing centers. i pointed the discrepancy to you. What is expected is an explanation or perhaps a simple apology for your mistake/mixing things up. So again, make your position known clearly. Who is the founder of healing centers? What happened to your integrity and honesty?
Re: The Bankruptcy Of The Prosperity Gospel: An Exercise In Biblical And Theological by Candour(m): 3:27pm On Oct 20, 2014
Image123:

What shadows are we chasing? Were you not involved "in leaving the entire discussion"? Now, the joke went sour on you, you remember your roots? You should have displayed your definition of maturity and ignore, Mr do as i say not as i do.
You're shameless, you should at least apologise after you subtly maligned me and i gave you biblical evidence for my position/take on Elijah's. Instead, you'd rather save face and talk bold face, i pity you.

You're the shameless one if you find this a contest.

You said Elijah wanted to die because of Jezebel's madness and I pointed it to you that was wrong. Jezebel swore to kill him and he ran away. Why didn't he just submit to Jezebels enforcer if he wanted to die then as a result of Jezebels madness?

His plea for the Lord to take him arose from his belief that he wasn't better than his fathers who couldn't get Israel unto the righteous path. In fact he must have felt a worse failure for according to him, he was the only faithful Israelite left. Despair from feeling alone was the reason for his death wish.

If you're getting your fangs out because I admitted we must have seen it from different angles, then you're to be pitied.

All what you wrote in that post was irrelevant to what i've being saying on this thread, and i did not touch it. It's your vomit, not mine, and i have no intentions of addressing it.
You said i have a PROFFESSED LOVE FOR HAGIN. i asked you to tell me about it, please remind me of it. At least it is professed. You probably hope to brush that aside as well. That is the way you lie with carefully phrased words and deceive people who are not careful. ''Midas Touch'' has shown nothing against me. If anything, it has shown the deceptive nature of you and your fellows that were praising just some selected parts to the high heavens and not hinting readers of the parts you do not support in the book. You as usual just wanted to use the book as a tool to fulfil your own purpose, it is backfiring as we speak. There is no hypocrisy in asking for the link. Nanny initially said she would provide the link, i had heard of the book before. So when she started posting excerpts, i reminded/asked her for the link so i could access the book. It is that simple and plain. Only people with issues would read other meanings into that.

Hagin said there is no where Christians are asked to give first fruits under the new covenant, do you give first fruits or preach same? If you do, you're a liar.

Hagin said according to Matt 25:35-45, the poor represent Jesus and can receive in his behalf, have you ever countered this point in our numerous arguments? Then you're a liar.

Hagin said the curse of devourer for not tithing isn't for a Christian. Have you ever countered this point in your desperation over the years to defend the tithe? Then you're a liar.

There are many points in that book nails you guys to a very rocky place in case you're too scared to read it through. You'll discover soon. I advice you read it through before dancing because you might have to run away again when we are through with dissecting it. I'm sure its the first chapters you saw that us exciting you. That one is genesis. Wait until we get to revelation

On the Hagin 'love', I take it you DO NOT LOVE Hagin then? Say it here and I'll withdraw my statement in that respect.

Why do you think that i go begin vex? Any reason or proof for this raving thoughts and assumptions of yours? There was no dispute or debate about who first quoted who, i wonder why you spring up that fallacy. When you quote or mention a person in a post, it is taken for granted that that post is PRIMARILY addressed to, or requires the attention of the mentioned. Internalize that and stop playing smarter than yourself.

Go sidon jare. You're on a public forum and you think you're so important that folks should maintain a non existent exclusivity when talking to you. If any post rubs you the wrong way, simply ignore it.

Once again, this is a public forum and I write not exclusively for one person. Try and internalise that

2 Likes

Re: The Bankruptcy Of The Prosperity Gospel: An Exercise In Biblical And Theological by Image123(m): 4:11pm On Oct 20, 2014
1Ti 6:6 But godliness with contentment is great gain.

'Contentment' means satisfaction. To be content/contented is a little different from being complacent. Contentment is a virtue while complacency is a vice. Complacency breeds mediocrity and incompetence, complacency promotes self. The Bible gives a story of a complacent rich man. It is popularly known as the "parable of the rich fool". Here was a rich man, he had PLENTY. But he rested on his oars and trusted in himself. He said "take thine ease, eat, drink, and be merry". It is considered foolish of man to rest on his oars. You know, i used to see this warning right from nursery school on report cards. This rich man should have learnt this. he learnt the hard way. He was complacent.
The Lord wants us to be contented. What again does it mean to be contented? Does it mean to happy at one's miserable condition? NO. If you're in a miserable condition, there should be plans and effort to get out of it. It is better to try than not to try at all. Does contentment mean to glorify poverty, or illiteracy? If i am in primary school, should i make no effort to get to secondary school? Would that be contentment? If i live in one room, should i never desire or plan towards owning three rooms? Would that be contentment? If i was a sinner, should i be satisfied in my sins? If i became born again(gave my life to Jesus, became saved, or whatever term you describe it as) last week, should i press towards the prize of God's high calling, and thirst for spiritual gifts and fruits, and the knowledge of God? Or should i remain satisfied and thanking God for saving me? Would that be contentment? NO.
The contentment this verse focuses is to know how to ABOUND and how to ABASE. Longsuffering is not long suffering. One is a fruit of the Spirit of God, the other is an affliction. True Contentment is to be happy and rested IN GOD. Real and genuine contentment is to trust God whatever may be, whatever we may be facing. You might be going through poverty and lack, it is not a time to be discouraged or to backslide. You still trust and believe in God, this is contentment. You might face something tragic like a loss of a close one, it is not a time or opportunity to become an atheist, or to charge God foolishly. This is Bible contentment. Contentment is not a resignation to fate, but faith in God's power and ability to see you through. Paul says "I know both how to be abased, and I know how to abound: every where and in all things I am instructed both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need". He knew how to ABOUND. Contentment is not making poverty a permanent dwelling place. Contentment is SEEING constant need/want as SUFFERING. He did not enjoy need, He suffered need. Balance godliness with contentment, it is great gain.

1 Like

Re: The Bankruptcy Of The Prosperity Gospel: An Exercise In Biblical And Theological by shdemidemi(m): 7:01pm On Oct 20, 2014
Image123:

You DO NOT believe the bible, if you did you would not say that the Bible is not written to you.

Where have I ever said I don't believe the bible? No where. I dare you to show me where I have ever mentioned that the bible isn't written to me.

Image123:

You do not know or believe Jesus to be same today as He was yesterday. If you did, you would know that Jesus can still do today what He did yesterday. These are not assumptions or speculations, these are facts visible to anybody who goes through your posts on NL.

Let me tell you one thing Jesus will not do again. He will not come back and die for the sins of man ever again.

Do you want to know something else Jesus isn't saying today?
Matthew 10
5 Jesus sent the twelve men out with these instructions: “Don’t go to the non-Jewish people. And don’t go into any town where the Samaritans live.

Jesus will never make this statement after He rose from the dead. In fact, I will show you what he told the disciples after He rose from the dead.
Acts 1:8
But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you, and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the farthest parts of the earth."

The same Jesus (He did not change, He is yet the same) that said don't go to Samaria has now sent a new mandate that does not only limit the disciples to any sect but to every one on the face of the earth.

I HOPE YOU GOT THAT- Jesus don't change but administration and dispensations change.

Image123:

These are baseless and unfounded accusations. One characteristic of baseless and unfounded accusations is that ANYBODY CAN MAKE THEM. Please check through my posts and produce 3 posts that show this obvious love for self you are on about.

No time for such, I won't bother myself wit scanning through your old post. A leopard never changes its spots, you will come around with much more selfish 'godliness' you profess.

Image123:

So by some magic or miracle or mysticism, you think i do not have any concern for these? What triggered/brought about your doubts?

I don't need know that much about you through those means, trust me, its not that hard to know a self-loving and self centered supposed believer.

Image123:

Job knew that all he had came from God. Daniel opined same. Of his property and family, Job said "the LORD gave, and the LORD hath taken away". Hear Daniel and Paul.

If Job knows that all he had came from God, does that translate to mean God gave him because he did something to deserve it?

Image123:

A sane person ascribes his riches and provisions to God.
A spiritual man does more, he ascribes his life, his soul to God regardless of riches.

Image123:

The OP says it is an egocentric gospel that God wants believers to be materially wealthy.
I believe the OP is right because not every christian will be materially rich. I can smell your obsession for riches already, I told you one don't need to be a dibia to figure out what your god really is.

See what Jesus says-
Luke 12
Then he said, "Beware! Guard against every kind of greed. Life is not measured by how much you own."

Image123:

Proponents blindly argue that it is not God that has given wealth and the power to get wealth to the rich.
If God's primary assignment for believers in the world is to make us rich, between you and I, how do you think we are doing compared to those you call unbelievers?

Image123:

They try to point us to names and links of people who supposedly have wealth and health without God. That is the extremity i stand against but which proponents of this bankrupt thread glorify. God is the source of wealth and health, He is a good God.

It makes all the sense in the world for people to ask questions especially from those who adulterate God's word for the aim of fleecing their unsuspecting followers. I wonder what your pastor will preach if Dangote suddenly walks in when he is teaching you ways to prosperity.

Image123:

Your meter or whatever device you use to measure people's loyalties is faulty. You don't have capacity or ability to do that, neither do i. Angels have.
Again, Mention one scripture i have twisted on this thread to validate my lustful agenda. Then give the untwisted meaning of that scripture, thanks or remain a liar and a false accuser.

Do i need go far, even your rebuttal shows all that really matters to you. out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks (in this case, fingers type).
Luke 12[i]
34 For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.[/i]

Image123:

i'll show you what Jesus told Peter BTW. i'm that magnanimous.
Mat 19:27 Then answered Peter and said unto him, Behold, we have forsaken all, and followed thee; what shall we have therefore?
Mat 19:28 And Jesus said unto them, Verily I say unto you, That ye which have followed me, in the regeneration when the Son of man shall sit in the throne of his glory, ye also shall sit upon twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel.
Mat 19:29 And every one that hath forsaken houses, or brethren, or sisters, or father, or mother, or wife, or children, or lands, for my name's sake, shall receive a hundredfold, and shall inherit everlasting life.

Did you notice Jesus didn't tell him he will get anything back for following Him, rather he said for all who have forsaken all those things your heart desire so much, they will be glorified with Him in the regeneration.

4 Likes

Re: The Bankruptcy Of The Prosperity Gospel: An Exercise In Biblical And Theological by shdemidemi(m): 7:32pm On Oct 20, 2014
Image123:

1Ti 6:6 But godliness with contentment is great gain.

'Contentment' means satisfaction. To be content/contented is a little different from being complacent. Contentment is a virtue while complacency is a vice. Complacency breeds mediocrity and incompetence, complacency promotes self. The Bible gives a story of a complacent rich man. It is popularly known as the "parable of the rich fool". Here was a rich man, he had PLENTY. But he rested on his oars and trusted in himself. He said "take thine ease, eat, drink, and be merry". It is considered foolish of man to rest on his oars. You know, i used to see this warning right from nursery school on report cards. This rich man should have learnt this. he learnt the hard way. He was complacent.
The Lord wants us to be contented. What again does it mean to be contented? Does it mean to happy at one's miserable condition? NO. If you're in a miserable condition, there should be plans and effort to get out of it. It is better to try than not to try at all. Does contentment mean to glorify poverty, or illiteracy? If i am in primary school, should i make no effort to get to secondary school? Would that be contentment? If i live in one room, should i never desire or plan towards owning three rooms? Would that be contentment? If i was a sinner, should i be satisfied in my sins? If i became born again(gave my life to Jesus, became saved, or whatever term you describe it as) last week, should i press towards the prize of God's high calling, and thirst for spiritual gifts and fruits, and the knowledge of God? Or should i remain satisfied and thanking God for saving me? Would that be contentment? NO.
The contentment this verse focuses is to know how to ABOUND and how to ABASE. Longsuffering is not long suffering. One is a fruit of the Spirit of God, the other is an affliction. True Contentment is to be happy and rested IN GOD. Real and genuine contentment is to trust God whatever may be, whatever we may be facing. You might be going through poverty and lack, it is not a time to be discouraged or to backslide. You still trust and believe in God, this is contentment. You might face something tragic like a loss of a close one, it is not a time or opportunity to become an atheist, or to charge God foolishly. This is Bible contentment. Contentment is not a resignation to fate, but faith in God's power and ability to see you through. Paul says "I know both how to be abased, and I know how to abound: every where and in all things I am instructed both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need". He knew how to ABOUND. Contentment is not making poverty a permanent dwelling place. Contentment is SEEING constant need/want as SUFFERING. He did not enjoy need, He suffered need. Balance godliness with contentment, it is great gain.

Money money money gospel. You will force the scripture out of context to fit your selfish agenda at every cost. Who told you the same bible that says one should be content did not tell them to work while they hope for the glorious day when they will not need to ever work again.

Apostle Paul categorically stated that christians should get a job and work
2 thess 3
New International Version
For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "The one who is unwilling to work shall not eat."

If one goes to work to do the best at that work, money will definitely follow as a secondary consequence for the good service rendered. Only selfish people go to work all for the money.

I don't know if moving from one room to a mansion means anything to God. As far as God is concerned the man living in the room and the man living in the mansion are both suffering as long as they are in the world. The bible says-
Romans 8
New Living Translation
Yet what we suffer now is nothing compared to the glory he will reveal to us later.

Image wants to taste glory here in the world, its quite unfortunate that what you deem as glory is vanity vanishing quicker than a mirage.

Colossians 3 King James Version (KJV)

3 If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God.

WHAT DO YOU SEEK IMAGE123, WHAT DO YOU SEEK- money, more money and some more money or God?

5 Likes

Re: The Bankruptcy Of The Prosperity Gospel: An Exercise In Biblical And Theological by vooks: 8:17pm On Oct 20, 2014
Shdemidemi,
You nailed it!
It is all about swimming in immortality in a corruptible flesh and passing world. That's why mbaemeka a Christ Embassy certified hooligan shamelessly believes Jesus Christ need to prostrate Himself before him and beg for permission before taking him home.

1 Corinthians 15:19 (KJV)
If in this life only we have hope in Christ, we are of all men most miserable.

Look at the above verse and think like Sadducees who never believed in resurrection. In that case, ALL our hope in Christ would be in this world. Paul says if that was the case, Christians would be the MOST miserable meaning their PRESENT experience on earth was no better than anybody else; in fact it was worse. If Christians were meant to be filthy rich and disease free not to mention happy, he would be lying in this verse.
shdemidemi:

Image wants to taste glory here in the world, its quite unfortunate that what you deem as glory is vanity vanishing quicker than a mirage.

6 Likes

Re: The Bankruptcy Of The Prosperity Gospel: An Exercise In Biblical And Theological by Image123(m): 9:52am On Oct 22, 2014
Like Lambanop said, you guys are just attention seekers and wolves seeking to ravage gullible sheep. See as the thread just dry up as soon as we no mind them. And demisquare has the shamelessness and dishonest to deny his actions here. Of course, if shown what are we to hope for or expect? The usual wave aside, boldface and diversion. May God help you people and save you from a bankrupt conscience.
Re: The Bankruptcy Of The Prosperity Gospel: An Exercise In Biblical And Theological by vooks: 10:12am On Oct 22, 2014
How do we ravage gullible sheep? By saving them from prosperity heresies?

Please wait for your mortality to be clothed with immortality when death loses its sting so you can enjoy disease-free,poverty-free and pain-free bliss
Image123:
Like Lambanop said, you guys are just attention seekers and wolves seeking to ravage gullible sheep. See as the thread just dry up as soon as we no mind them. And demisquare has the shamelessness and dishonest to deny his actions here. Of course, if shown what are we to hope for or expect? The usual wave aside, boldface and diversion. May God help you people and save you from a bankrupt conscience.

1 Like

Re: The Bankruptcy Of The Prosperity Gospel: An Exercise In Biblical And Theological by shdemidemi(m): 11:07am On Oct 22, 2014
Image123:

Now the serpent Image123 was more subtle than every other beast of the field which the LORD God had made.

Show us how I have been dishonest or remain what you are- an unrepentant liar.

Image123:
May God help you people and save you from a bankrupt conscience.

You need this help more than anyone on this forum. Prosperity love-vendor/pi-mp wannabe like yourself.

4 Likes

Re: The Bankruptcy Of The Prosperity Gospel: An Exercise In Biblical And Theological by Image123(m): 11:50am On Oct 22, 2014
Gospels is bible, Hebrews is bible, demisquare consistently teaches that they are not written to him, citing some twisted excuse about dividing the Word. This is so glaring it's pitiful that anyone would contest it not to mention demi himself. Three different instances below for posterity.

https://www.nairaland.com/1330225/salient-points-epistle-romans/2#16718702

https://www.nairaland.com/1811258/how-does-one-know-he/2#24996539#24996258 (9:26pm July 26)

https://www.nairaland.com/1563898/no-longer-under-law-grace/3#20387219#20387173
Re: The Bankruptcy Of The Prosperity Gospel: An Exercise In Biblical And Theological by vooks: 11:54am On Oct 22, 2014
SO if you were healed of leprosy, would you offer animal sacrifices just as Jesus Christ commanded in Luke 5:14?
You are Obtuse incarnate
Image123:
Gospels is bible, Hebrews is bible, demisquare consistently teaches that they are not written to him, citing some twisted excuse about dividing the Word. This is so glaring it's pitiful that anyone would contest it not to mention demi himself. Three different instances below for posterity.

3 Likes

Re: The Bankruptcy Of The Prosperity Gospel: An Exercise In Biblical And Theological by shdemidemi(m): 12:05pm On Oct 22, 2014
Image123:

https://www.nairaland.com/1330225/salient-points-epistle-romans/2#16718702

https://www.nairaland.com/1811258/how-does-one-know-he/2#24996539#24996258

https://www.nairaland.com/1563898/no-longer-under-law-grace/3#20387219#20387173

You are not only a brazen fellow, you are a greedy and manipulative creature. Where have I said the bible isn't written to me, please show me and don't adapt what you said earlier on this thread -

Image123:

You DO NOT believe the bible, if you did you would not say that the Bible is not written to you.

Image123 image123 image123! Show us where I said the above. The same thing you try to vilify me for is what your partner in crime (I think he's seeing the light gradually) needs to vindicate me on another thread, simply because he read it from kenneth hagin's book tat the old testament was not written to us(christians) as a doctrine to be practiced..

In response to candour, Gombs said-

Boss chill, I'd get to that place. I benefit from the OT too Romans 15:4, but it was not written to me, the NT was written to the New creation under the new covenant. Now, let's not derail. cheesy

Shedemidemi crucified for saying that? Pull out a thread as proof please. I need see what he wrote

https://www.nairaland.com/1957135/midas-touch-balanced-approach-biblical/1

1 Like

Re: The Bankruptcy Of The Prosperity Gospel: An Exercise In Biblical And Theological by nannymcphee(f): 4:37am On Oct 25, 2014
WinsomeX:

I guess one will purchase it. right?

I will check amazon then.

Just checked and found it.

www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005LH5QO2/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1413768415&sr=8-2&pi=SL75

It cost about $13.

Pls have you gotten the book
Re: The Bankruptcy Of The Prosperity Gospel: An Exercise In Biblical And Theological by WinsomeX: 8:42am On Oct 25, 2014
nannymcphee:

Pls have you gotten the book

No I have not. Not having placed it on my scale of preference for duties.

I trust you are enjoying your weekend. BTW, you didn't reply my PM.

Cheers.
Re: The Bankruptcy Of The Prosperity Gospel: An Exercise In Biblical And Theological by Image123(m): 11:31am On Oct 25, 2014
edited.
wrong post.
Re: The Bankruptcy Of The Prosperity Gospel: An Exercise In Biblical And Theological by christemmbassey(m): 11:40am On Oct 25, 2014
Image123:
Ewooooo, e don happen again.
Oga Image123, wetin happend? Them doon carry ya tithe box?

1 Like

Re: The Bankruptcy Of The Prosperity Gospel: An Exercise In Biblical And Theological by Image123(m): 11:51am On Oct 25, 2014
christemmbassey:
Oga Image123, wetin happend? Them doon carry ya tithe box?

Oh wrong post, i've edited it. i'm not your oga BTW. You have no issues calling me oga or master but you'd squeal and pant if others are called daddy or father.
Re: The Bankruptcy Of The Prosperity Gospel: An Exercise In Biblical And Theological by christemmbassey(m): 12:17pm On Oct 25, 2014
Image123:

Oh wrong post, i've edited it. i'm not your oga BTW. You have no issues calling me oga or master but you'd squeal and pant if others are called daddy or father.
I thought u're a Nigerian?

1 Like

Re: The Bankruptcy Of The Prosperity Gospel: An Exercise In Biblical And Theological by Nobody: 2:52pm On Oct 25, 2014
grin i never no say shdemidemi aka demisquare get vinegar for mouth like this. Chei..Image123 don suffer persecutions for nairaland o. Imagine calling some one a love-vendor? Na christians una be so?
Re: The Bankruptcy Of The Prosperity Gospel: An Exercise In Biblical And Theological by nannymcphee(f): 5:49pm On Oct 25, 2014
WinsomeX:

No I have not. Not having placed it on my scale of preference for duties.

I trust you are enjoying your weekend. BTW, you didn't reply my PM.

Cheers.

yes i did, you're the one who didnt reply

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Stop Bringing Dirty Money To Church - Prophet TB Joshua / Who Created God? / If You Had A Chance To Ask God A Question What Would It Be?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 174
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.