Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,901 members, 7,817,663 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:42 PM

Dip Your Car - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Dip Your Car (11196 Views)

Bringing Power And Fuel Efficiency Closer To Factory Setup Of Your Car / When Engine Oil Dip Stick Smells Of Petrol. / What To Do If Your Car Is Stuck In Mud (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dip Your Car by Nobody: 8:31pm On Oct 13, 2014
Hello house.

This thread is created for the use of plastidip for car aesthetic design. For those who don't know, Plastidip is a peelable paint spray that can be used to coat any surface. In the car world, you can 'dip' your wheels or even the entire car and peel it off whenever you feel like it.

Below is my first attempt at dipping the grille of my ford edge (the bottom picture is not taken by me O! It was put to show how it comes off) Other pictures are from the net to highlight the use.

I'm in Port Harcourt and am looking to become a 'dipping' expert. Feel free to contact me for equipment, paint, tips, videos etc..

Re: Dip Your Car by Nobody: 9:35pm On Oct 13, 2014
These are more pictures of the applications..

Re: Dip Your Car by 9icetoo(m): 5:40pm On Oct 14, 2014
Looks interesting.
Re: Dip Your Car by Nobody: 5:46pm On Oct 14, 2014
Dude, stick to this game plan. Approach it as a serious business and above all don't run it as a Nigerian business but as a serious enterprise which means above par customer service.
Re: Dip Your Car by Nobody: 8:44pm On Oct 14, 2014
CityNG:
Dude, stick to this game plan. Approach it as a serious business and above all don't run it as a Nigerian business but as a serious enterprise which means above par customer service.

My question is how to turn this into a business full time. I'm a bit in doubt on how Nigerians will use it...
Re: Dip Your Car by Nobody: 8:52pm On Oct 14, 2014
[quote author=og2711 post=27145614]

My question is how to turn this into a business full time. I'm a bit in doubt on how Nigerians will use it... [/quote

Can you overlay logos and or make it transparent on windows?

So I'm thinking you can get commercial buses to use it as advertisement for companies.

Imagine doing a city bus in Glo colors for 3 months.
Re: Dip Your Car by TCD: 9:28pm On Oct 14, 2014
I like this.... how can one do this at home? what equipments do I need
Re: Dip Your Car by ZIMDRILL(m): 9:52pm On Oct 14, 2014
TCD:
I like this.... how can one do this at home? what equipments do I need

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otCtkVePX_0
Re: Dip Your Car by Nobody: 6:53am On Oct 15, 2014
CityNG:
[/quote]

The default colors are made to be solid, but you can spray them on any surface including windows.

There is only one color which is transparent, which is the smoke and it won't really work in the way you think..

However, you can customise colors and shades so it could be possible..

[quote author=TCD post=27146864]I like this.... how can one do this at home? what equipments do I need

The dip paint us obviously the most important, painter's tape (masking tape- I prefer the blue type to the brown one sold because it's more visible but it's the same), and newspapers to prevent over spray. If you want to do bigger projects, you'll need the paint in cans and a spraying gun to turn the paint to aerosol..
Re: Dip Your Car by TCD: 7:18am On Oct 15, 2014
og2711:

The default colors are made to be solid, but you can spray them on any surface including windows.

There is only one color which is transparent, which is the smoke and it won't really work in the way you think..

However, you can customise colors and shades so it could be possible..

The dip paint us obviously the most important, painter's tape (masking tape- I prefer the blue type to the brown one sold because it's more visible but it's the same), and newspapers to prevent over spray. If you want to do bigger projects, you'll need the paint in cans and a spraying gun to turn the paint to aerosol..
pls where did you buy the plastidip cans?
Re: Dip Your Car by Nobody: 11:56am On Oct 15, 2014
These are the kind of forward thinking auto businesses that I support and encourage. Not the charlatans that use MLM to sell snake oil.
Re: Dip Your Car by Nobody: 12:48pm On Oct 15, 2014
TCD:
pls where did you buy the plastidip cans?

I bought in China but it's made in the USA. I'm currently working on bringing a large quantity in so you can check back in a few weeks if you're interested...
Re: Dip Your Car by Nobody: 2:09pm On Oct 15, 2014
Did my wheels today. Painted the lug nuts red. Job wasn't perfect but the effect is baaaaaaad asss..

2 Likes

Re: Dip Your Car by gulfer: 10:51am On Oct 16, 2014
Nice, how can I get this done. Can I DIY it?
Re: Dip Your Car by Nobody: 4:51pm On Oct 17, 2014
gulfer:
Nice, how can I get this done. Can I DIY it?

Yes you can..
Re: Dip Your Car by TCD: 4:53pm On Oct 17, 2014
I'm interested when u bring the stuffs in. Let us know please.
Re: Dip Your Car by cmoney22222: 7:46am On Oct 19, 2014
Op; am interested in the black colour , how and where can I get it and is it DIY friendly....m
og2711:
Hello house.

This thread is created for the use of plastidip for car aesthetic design. For those who don't know, Plastidip is a peelable paint spray that can be used to coat any surface. In the car world, you can 'dip' your wheels or even the entire car and peel it off whenever you feel like it.

Below is my first attempt at dipping the grille of my ford edge (the bottom picture is not taken by me O! It was put to show how it comes off) Other pictures are from the net to highlight the use.

I'm in Port Harcourt and am looking to become a 'dipping' expert. Feel free to contact me for equipment, paint, tips, videos etc..
Re: Dip Your Car by Nobody: 8:53am On Oct 24, 2014
Learnt the hard way that you shouldn't use a pressure washer on a dipped surface, its the fastest way to peel it off.

Went to the car wash and it all came off...Back to square one sha..
Re: Dip Your Car by jukeblam(m): 9:32am On Oct 24, 2014
og2711:
Learnt the hard way that you shouldn't use a pressure washer on a dipped surface, its the fastest way to peel it off.
Went to the car wash and it all came off...Back to square one sha..

grin Hilarious. Thanks for sharing! Have some cans at home that I've been 'lazying' on applying to my wheels.

But, how many days after spraying did U pressure-wash? I think I read somewhere that says the bond becomes strong enough to withstand a pressure washer after certain days. Some guy even uploaded a video of himself washing his fully dipped car with a pressure gun.

As well, how many coats did U apply?
Re: Dip Your Car by mikkyphp(m): 10:58am On Oct 24, 2014
good stuff. I have been a "dip" enthusiast for quite a while now. The only issue i have is that my car is black, and blacking out the logo or the wheels won't make aesthetic sense. In fact using any other colour on the wheels doesnt look cool on a black car. unfortunately, there is no chrome coloured pasti-dip.

Any suggestions?
Re: Dip Your Car by cmoney22222: 1:07pm On Oct 24, 2014
Pls where can I get this plasti dip spray ..
Re: Dip Your Car by Nobody: 1:33pm On Oct 24, 2014
mikkyphp:
good stuff. I have been a "dip" enthusiast for quite a while now. The only issue i have is that my car is black, and blacking out the logo or the wheels won't make aesthetic sense. In fact using any other colour on the wheels doesnt look cool on a black car. unfortunately, there is no chrome coloured pasti-dip.

Any suggestions?

Gray, Gun metal gray, Gold.
Re: Dip Your Car by Nobody: 7:40pm On Oct 24, 2014
jukeblam:

grin Hilarious. Thanks for sharing! Have some cans at home that I've been 'lazying' on applying to my wheels.

But, how many days after spraying did U pressure-wash? I think I read somewhere that says the bond becomes strong enough to withstand a pressure washer after certain days. Some guy even uploaded a video of himself washing his fully dipped car with a pressure gun.

Like 2 weeks after. The problem was that my back brakes were binding, so there was a lot of brake dust on the wheels when i travelled. This couldn't be removed by regular washing so i went to the car wash. TBH, i wasn't there when it was washed so i don't know if he blasted it up close..

I used 4 coats each..

mikkyphp:
Any suggestions?

TBH, black wheels are the best for a black car. Gunmetal is also good. Smoke is the last option, but i find it ....weak.

There is this alternative to plastidip which is like a sheet applied on with a heat gun. That, you can get in chrome but is a long thing...
Re: Dip Your Car by Nobody: 7:43pm On Oct 24, 2014
To all those who need plastidip, my supply will be in at the end of november so you can ask me then.

I can't tell you the price now until it comes in and i know what the freight will cost me..
Re: Dip Your Car by mikkyphp(m): 11:26pm On Oct 24, 2014
cne010:

Gray, Gun metal gray, Gold.
ok. i iwill see about that
Re: Dip Your Car by Nobody: 12:11pm On Nov 07, 2014
In the interim, I did my rear lights with smoke dip. Not sure if I like it or not..

It looks slightly better than the pictures below but it's still out for the jury.. Maybe I should've added more coats to go darker..

Re: Dip Your Car by cmoney22222: 12:21pm On Nov 07, 2014
og2711:
In the interim, I did my rear lights with smoke dip. Not sure if I like it or not..

It looks slightly better than the pictures below but it's still out for the jury.. Maybe I should've added more coats to go darker..

love-vendor my car..na you dey rain oo
Re: Dip Your Car by mikkyphp(m): 6:30pm On Nov 08, 2014
og2711:

My opnion: i don't like it. never liked smoke dip. looks to me like a tail light suffering from a bad case oxidation of the outer clear plastic.

i suggest you black it out with a light tint, while masking out maybe the reverse light. It will look mad

1 Like

Re: Dip Your Car by Nobody: 10:47am On Nov 09, 2014
mikkyphp:

My opnion: i don't like it. never liked smoke dip. looks to me like a tail light suffering from a bad case oxidation of the outer clear plastic.

i suggest you black it out with a light tint, while masking out maybe the reverse light. It will look mad

The problem with tint is that your rear/ reverse lights are barely visible., Even with a light tint..

i agree with you though. The smoke looks like a cross between an oxidized and a dirty lamp..
Re: Dip Your Car by mikkyphp(m): 3:44pm On Nov 09, 2014
that is why i said you should mask out your reverse light. tint only the red part
Re: Dip Your Car by CrownV12(m): 5:59am On Nov 14, 2014
jukeblam:

Please where did you get the cans?? I need it asap.. Any info on purchase will be appreciated
Re: Dip Your Car by Nobody: 10:13am On Nov 14, 2014
og2711:
Did my wheels today. Painted the lug nuts red. Job wasn't perfect but the effect is baaaaaaad asss..

I want to do mine sooo baaaaad!!! What do I need to get??

(1) (2) (Reply)

8 Things You Probably Don't Know About Tesla. (PHOTOS) / 10 Significant Car Care Tips For The Rainy Season / Toyota Corolla 2005 Vs Lexus ES300

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.