Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,191 members, 7,835,959 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 06:08 PM

Satellite Missing: 1st Chinese 419 To Nigeria - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Satellite Missing: 1st Chinese 419 To Nigeria (13663 Views)

MMA: GEJ 419 Airport Transformation. Ugly Pics. / 419 of all types is a Nigeria-wide vice: The case of the Houston MedicAid Fraud. / Efcc On Youtube: Nabs 419 Scammers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Satellite Missing: 1st Chinese 419 To Nigeria by DoubleN(m): 11:10pm On Nov 13, 2008
Naija ma Country!!!! where anything can happen.
Re: Satellite Missing: 1st Chinese 419 To Nigeria by nomanicole(f): 11:28pm On Nov 13, 2008
ha! i don dey wonder since wetin make network dey stable for a while now so that fake dstv dish wey dem give title don lost? oh boy!why are we all screaming?what were we actually expecting? perfection? not yet people ,lets wait maybe in the next millenium, or when they bring down those old brains and refill the seats with young,agile and fresh maybe things would get better before then. to all these chinese,make i no use eye catch una for road o! i just dey warn una. we no sey nigeria spoil but we no beg una to come add salt to fresh injury.u no as e dey be na! obj and to all the people wey deceive us last year throw dish into space,keep the fire burning,dey show urself ok? na naija born u.that is what we are known for,deceit.
Re: Satellite Missing: 1st Chinese 419 To Nigeria by ojimboIV: 12:18am On Nov 14, 2008
Kobojunkie:

Are you sure that claiming the people at NIGCOMSAT were not aware of the fact that a Satellite that costs about $333 million will not function at the same level as one that costs several billions would, will work in your favour here? You mean to tell me that in the age of information, so called professionals claiming ignorance does not fly? You mean the GENIUSES at NIGCOMSAT who supposedly did years of research before deciding Nigeria needed a satellite, did not know that buying cheap means buying less quality? come on!! even a baby knows that.

i agree with you say dem no do there research complete. if not dem for know say no be satellite be our problem. how can they explain the cost-benefit ratio to country man. na weather we wan chop? abi na cable tv? if dem tell us something more interesting like population density mapping e for try better sef so we go know where dem suppose channel resources. but then i'm still of the belief that these chinese guys don do us strong thing.
Re: Satellite Missing: 1st Chinese 419 To Nigeria by Image123(m): 6:40am On Nov 14, 2008
Maybe na winch commot the battery abi boyz don tap into the power supply for personal use
Re: Satellite Missing: 1st Chinese 419 To Nigeria by scholarist: 8:57am On Nov 14, 2008
Double N:

Naija ma Country!!!! where anything can happen.

like winch removing the battery of a whole sat embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: Satellite Missing: 1st Chinese 419 To Nigeria by asifu: 9:59am On Nov 14, 2008
Nairalanders, don't be wary. They are only begging to see our reactions just to remind us that they have spent so much money in past.
Re: Satellite Missing: 1st Chinese 419 To Nigeria by seun001(m): 10:11am On Nov 14, 2008
Nigerian satellite fails in space
NigComSat's website
The satellite has developed power trouble

A multi-million dollar Nigerian satellite launched in May 2007 has been shut down to prevent it spinning out of control and damaging others in orbit.

Chinese-built NigComSat-1 cost the African oil producer $340m (£228m).

The Nigerian government said insurance would pay for a replacement and Nigerians should still be proud of the country's satellite programme.

But telecoms experts told the BBC it was a "white elephant in space" and the whole operation was a "debacle".

NigComSat-1 was launched 18 months ago to much fanfare from the government, but it has been mired in controversy ever since.

On Tuesday, controllers shut the satellite down because it was having problems with its power supply, the government announced.

The satellite was meant to provide communications for government agencies and broadband internet.

'Worthy investment'

"This has been a real debacle from day one," a telecoms engineer told the BBC.

Nigeria has exported its electricity generation problems to space
Joke doing the rounds in Nigeria

The engineer, who works as a consultant for a multinational communications company, did not want to be named.

The satellite was limited because the type of frequency it used was disturbed by clouds in the atmosphere, and did not work properly in Nigeria's rainy season or during the Harmattan, when clouds of dust blow down from the Sahara, he said.

The satellite also operated on frequencies already allocated to other companies and interfered with other providers' equipment.

But Information Minister John Odey denied the satellite was not worth investing in.

"No technology can be a waste of money," he said.

"It is a worthy investment, and Nigerians should see it as desirable. It has served a purpose and will continue to do so."

Power trouble

Local media initially reported that the satellite had "gone missing".

But on Wednesday Minister of State for Science and Technology Alhassan Zaku told journalists it had lost power and had to be "parked, like you would park a car".

"If it wasn't parked and it lost all its power there would be no energy to even move it and it would be like a loose cannon and would keep rolling about and hit other satellites in the orbit," he told reporters.

According to analysts, Nigeria has made nearly $2 trillion in oil revenues over the last 30 years, but its population are mostly poor.

Africa's most populous nation lacks basic infrastructure like power and water, and many Nigerians thought the satellite showed the government did not have its priorities right.

The news that the satellite could not get enough power to run has led to jokes that, as one e-mail doing the rounds put it: Nigeria has "exported its electricity generation problems to space".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/7726951.stm
Re: Satellite Missing: 1st Chinese 419 To Nigeria by Muza(m): 1:37pm On Nov 14, 2008
Its a disgrace,Nigeria has exported her power prob to space,
Re: Satellite Missing: 1st Chinese 419 To Nigeria by samsmart1: 2:30pm On Nov 14, 2008
Guys make Una no de disturb una self, de satellite don mis be say e don mis, as the satellite mis, na so the money mis enter the pocket of the organizers. Who among you get =N=5 from the satellite. Abeg make una talk something wey go benefit everybody.
Re: Satellite Missing: 1st Chinese 419 To Nigeria by Modups1(f): 2:30pm On Nov 14, 2008
i have been laffing since i saw this news

nigeria, my beloved country where anything & everything is possible haaaaaaaa haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!  cheesy cheesy cheesy

missing satellite? this is too funny
Re: Satellite Missing: 1st Chinese 419 To Nigeria by Backslider(m): 2:38pm On Nov 14, 2008
Now i can understand why God made the Children of isreal that came out of Egypt die and they did not see the Promise land.
I wondered why he only made their Children enter the promise land.
The elders like some of us on Nairaland would have resisted Joshua and Caleb.

I just hope that we all repent and have faith that God can do anything. It looks as if we keep saying that OVER OUR DEAD BODY WILL GOD REVIVE NIGERIA. We must remember the elders of Isreal never saw NEW ISREAL. I KNOW GOD IS MAKING NEW NIGERIA DONT BE LEFT OUT. JUST BE QUIET IF YOU CAN NOT SOLVE THE PROBLEMS.

God runs Nigeria Not our minds.
Re: Satellite Missing: 1st Chinese 419 To Nigeria by coolsegun(m): 2:46pm On Nov 14, 2008
why are we so wasteful? #40b just disapear like that? what are we doing Nigerians? I think it's high time we challenged decision makers for wasteful spending of our resources.
God pls help nigeria
Re: Satellite Missing: 1st Chinese 419 To Nigeria by roots: 3:02pm On Nov 14, 2008
no b small things guys. We b no.1 for 419 in the world. why we allow this asshol to over take us embarassed.

It is time to build our own satellite without being monitored by this guys, only if we channel our resources to the right place smiley.

Technically, the satellite is designed in a way that we don't have 100% control over it, that is Chinese James Bond satellite.I tell u ,our Engineers in charge don't know all the technical details. The ground station we have in Abuja is just a shadow we are trying to catch. Let not waste time trying to catch shadows, let get the Chinese cos they know were the satellite is embarassed .
Re: Satellite Missing: 1st Chinese 419 To Nigeria by Myself2(m): 4:11pm On Nov 14, 2008
grin grin grin grin grin
Ehen make dem climb up go find am now,
Oh my,dem never solve wahala wey dey for ground,na the one wey dey space?
The owners don carry their thing go grin grin grin
Re: Satellite Missing: 1st Chinese 419 To Nigeria by zPixel(m): 5:33pm On Nov 14, 2008
This Country is a big joke.
Re: Satellite Missing: 1st Chinese 419 To Nigeria by Kokodeni(m): 6:34pm On Nov 14, 2008
Almost everything that moves in Nigeria must get missing; ranging from plane, to ship, Choopers, busses, cars, okadas, etc. Very soon Train self go dey miss for this country
Re: Satellite Missing: 1st Chinese 419 To Nigeria by slimes(m): 6:38pm On Nov 14, 2008
Corruption is not only in Nigeria.
Re: Satellite Missing: 1st Chinese 419 To Nigeria by bawomolo(m): 6:49pm On Nov 14, 2008
Backslider:

Now i can understand why God made the Children of isreal that came out of Egypt die and they did not see the Promise land.

I just hope that we all repent and have faith that God can do anything. It looks as if we keep saying that OVER OUR DEAD BODY WILL GOD REVIVE NIGERIA. We must remember the elders of Isreal never saw NEW ISREAL. I KNOW GOD IS MAKING NEW NIGERIA don't BE LEFT OUT. JUST BE QUIET IF YOU CAN NOT SOLVE THE PROBLEMS.

oh please, what does God have to do with reviving nigeria. nigerians have been praying for God's intervention for decades and what has happened.

anyway rasaki has the condition under control. baba mukaila has already ordered the needed parts from alaba. the satelite would soon be back into orbit cheesy
Re: Satellite Missing: 1st Chinese 419 To Nigeria by ernal(m): 7:32pm On Nov 14, 2008
Why should we expect more? we are a third world county,and deserve third world government,third world (power-failed) satellite, with third world leaders,with third world excuses for failure,and third world kind of politics.so why expect more.

God Please Guide us n Pls keep us abreast for the rest of the year,am praying for all my folks needing help,God loves us n with him it will be fine.Love U All!!!
[color=#990000][/color]
Re: Satellite Missing: 1st Chinese 419 To Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 8:00pm On Nov 14, 2008
Backslider:

I just hope that we all repent and have faith that God can do anything. It looks as if we keep saying that OVER OUR DEAD BODY WILL GOD REVIVE NIGERIA. We must remember the elders of Isreal never saw NEW ISREAL. I KNOW GOD IS MAKING NEW NIGERIA don't BE LEFT OUT. JUST BE QUIET IF YOU CAN NOT SOLVE THE PROBLEMS.

This kin disconnected reasoning just keeps me wondering if the reason why the country is where it is today is not because people that reason like you remain in the majority.
Re: Satellite Missing: 1st Chinese 419 To Nigeria by flyuche(m): 8:12pm On Nov 14, 2008
where is el Rufai, ? the ceo. this guy has been claiming that he would give us cheap 3G [broadband] on this toy satellite. he wanted to pick a fight with the NCC chairman, for refusing him a telecom licence. now he would learn to shut his mouth. imagine investing that money in Nitel/mtel.
Re: Satellite Missing: 1st Chinese 419 To Nigeria by Tapiya(m): 12:30am On Nov 15, 2008
Nigeria and its pissimists,

When Thisday reported it now someother people have come out with their own Report, the satelite is said to have developed a fault and that they shut it down so that it would not cause problems to other satelites in the Orbit, now we are told its missing so who had gone up there to confirm that the satelite is not their? and they said if the damage done to it is so much beyond repair then the insurance company will build us one, so why the stories and all that? why the noise? someone talk to me. more over this na Chino satelite no be Russian or American Built satelite and you guys know how Chino things dey behave. they make the Loudest noise yet they fail more easily than the ones from Hungary and the Netherlands.
Re: Satellite Missing: 1st Chinese 419 To Nigeria by amigoes(m): 4:16am On Nov 15, 2008
Helloooooooo NAIRALANDERS,
No cause for alarm,
I just spoke with Mr Wang Fei of the CHINESE SPACE PROGRAMME on my NOKLA phone.
He described the missing satellite as a mere rumor.
In his words," it is the handiwork of political enemies of erstwhile president".
He confirmed the said satellite was built to last and that it was guaranteed for full 30days to showcase the faith his company had in their products.
sorry I couldn't conclude the conversation as my NOKLA phone em em em
I nor sure e be like say na flat battery grin grin grin
Re: Satellite Missing: 1st Chinese 419 To Nigeria by flyuche(m): 6:33am On Nov 15, 2008
alert! alert! alert!
latest report.
the satellite is spinning out of control and is about this time heading toward earth. please watch out for your heads o! better still get a crash or safety helmet. i have got one. grin
Re: Satellite Missing: 1st Chinese 419 To Nigeria by Nobody: 8:18am On Nov 15, 2008
alert! alert! alert!
latest report.
the satellite is spinning out of control and is about this time heading toward earth. please watch out for your heads o! better still get a crash or safety helmet. i have got one

LMAO!!!! Nothing Works in Nigeria,

WATCH OUT!! The Satellite go soon FALL ooo cheesy

OLORI GBO RI EEEEEEEEEEE!!! grin
Re: Satellite Missing: 1st Chinese 419 To Nigeria by Backslider(m): 8:19am On Nov 15, 2008
@Kobojunkie

This kin disconnected reasoning just keeps me wondering if the reason why the country is where it is today is not because people that reason like you remain in the majority.

I thanked God for my disconnected head. If you read through the post you will see how "connected" all who say they are Nigerian talk about their country. Some of have lost their life for Nigeria and left their families in poverty for Nigeria and we come here and show how good we are with making fun of Nigeria.
What can I say keep up the Good work?

It seems as if some of us have PHD in PESSIMISM AND BADMOUTHING NIGERIA ONLY.

I will ask you when the failure of America to launch man to space failed with the explosion and the death of people did you know what Americans were saying?

The citizen makes the RULERS.

We must disconnect from the believe that we can never amount to nothing.  

ANOTHER ONE FROM THE SCRIPTURE

AHAB WOULD NEVER BELIEVE THAT THINGS WOULD BE BETTER THE NEXT DAY BUT HE DIED.

SOME OF US WILL DIE NOT BECAUSE WANTS US TO DIE BUT BECAUSE WE HAVE SAID IT WILL ALWAYS BE LIKE THIS TILL WE PASS ON.

FAILURE IS  THE PLATFORM FOR SUCCESS

BECAUSE YOU KNOW YOU HAVE FAILED YOU CAN NOW WORK TO SUCCEED.
SOME NIGERIANS IN THEIR HEARTS JUST WANT US TO CONTINUE TO BE IN PROBLEMS IF NOT LET US SEE THEM BRINGING IDEAS ON NAIRALAND THAT WILL HELP US SOLVE THE PROBLEM WITH WE SPEND MONEY.

IT IS VERY EASY TO CRITICIZE. OUR ELITES(RULERS) WANT THE PROBLEMS KEPT THERE TILL THEY MILK US DRY.
OUR ELITES LOVE THE WAY YOU GLORIFY THE PROBLEM IT MAKES THEIR WORK EASY.
THE FOLLOWER THAT COMPLAINS WILL HAVE A BAD LEADER.

IMAGINE MILLIONS OF US GIVE SOLUTION TO PROBLEMS WE SEE DAY TO DAY WITH OUR MINDS SHUT UP TO THE FACT THAT "IF WE SAY THEY WILL NOT DO IT" THE GOVERNMENT WILL NOT HAVE ANY EXCUSE TO CONTINUE IN CORRUPTION.

OUR NEWSPAPERS I USED TO RESPECT ALSO ARE DEEP IN SENSATIONALISM.

I WILL BELIEVE IN NIGERIA. I WILL NOT USE MY MOUTH TO SAY THINGS I don't WANT ABOUT NIGERIA EVEN THOUGH THINGS ARE NOT GOOD NOW. THERE ARE HOLY MEN IN NIGERIA AND GOD NEEDS TO TAKE CARE OF THE EVIL MEN THAT HAVE INFLUENCE FIRST. HE HAS SHOWN THIS IN SCRIPTURE HE HAD TO DEAL WITH JEZEBEL BEFORE HE BROUGHT A NEW KING. GOD KILLED OF THOSE PROPHET OF BAAL SO THAT THE MAN OF GOD COULD DO HIS JOB.

SATAN HAS BEWITCHED THE CITIZENS OF NIGERIA AND EVEN IF GOD WAS RULING DIRECTLY WE WOULD CURSE TO HIS FACE. GOD WILL RAISE JOSHUA AND CALEB FOR NIGERIA. IS NIGERIA READY TO FOLLOW THEM?
Re: Satellite Missing: 1st Chinese 419 To Nigeria by neowelsh(m): 11:29am On Nov 15, 2008
na wa o0o0o shocked d way the things take dey lost jsut dey surprise me
b4 you go see, we go hear say, ASO ROCK is missing.

oboy na tru i dey talk, na true i dey talk, o0o0o
Re: Satellite Missing: 1st Chinese 419 To Nigeria by scholarist: 11:35am On Nov 15, 2008
the best thing to do now is to paste
MISSEN SATELLITE all over the remaining
planets of the solar system
and add ANY PERSON OR ALIEN WHO HAPPENS TO FIND IT WILL BE GIVEN A HANDSOME REWARD. cool cool cool
Re: Satellite Missing: 1st Chinese 419 To Nigeria by Horus(m): 11:55am On Nov 15, 2008
Nigerian Satellite Begins Fall To Earth

By Chinedu Offor
Washington DC
14 November 2008

Nigeria's multi-million dollar communication satellite is spinning out of control just 18 months after launch. The Chinese built Nigcomsat at a cost to Nigeria of $340 million. It was expected to provide broadband Internet and communications for government agencies. The government says the situation is under control and the satellite is only experiencing power problems. Critics say the device was a white elephant project that was hurriedly executed by former president Olusegun Obasanjo.
Paul Ceruzzi is curator of the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum. He talked with VOA English to Africa reporter Chinedu Offor about what could be wrong with the Nigerian satellite. "(The) satellite, once it is placed in orbit, has to be managed so that it points in the right direction, just like driving a car down the road. The antennas have to point to the ground, the solar panels have to point to the sun and they (must) have fuel on board (that) powers tiny rockets that do that or other means of stabilizing it. But sometimes they run out of fuel or Sat system breaks down.  Then it stays there in orbit and begins to tumble, if it loses contact with the solar panels or (they are) no longer pointing at the sun, then it losses electrical power. If the antennas are no longer pointing at the ground, then there is no way to communicate with it. So it becomes kind of dangerous piece of junk flying at 17,000 miles an hour; it can be a serious problem."Ceruzzi says it is unusual for new satellites to fail. "In the early days of the space program things like that happened a lot, actually, unfortunately, but over the years they have gotten more reliable, but it does happen. It has happened from time to time and the other issue of course is that all satellites, eventually run out of fuel and they potentially can have the same fate unless people do things to actively manage them for that day. But for something to fail so soon after launch is rare today but it does happen".Ceruzzi says it is difficult to have an advance warnings of the precise location where a satellite might come down. Scientists may have such a warning "only in the few hours or so before it actually comes down. It could stay up there for months or years even and then atmospheric drag will slowly bring it out of orbit. And then, only at the very last moment, do you really know where it is going to hit."

Source: http://www.voanews.com/english/Africa/2008-11-14-voa41.cfm
Re: Satellite Missing: 1st Chinese 419 To Nigeria by Mustay(m): 11:58am On Nov 15, 2008
Horus:

Nigerian Satellite Begins Fall To Earth
Ceruzzi says it is difficult to have an advance warnings of the precise location where a satellite might come down. Scientists may have such a warning "only in the few hours or so before it actually comes down. It could stay up there for months or years even and then atmospheric drag will slowly bring it out of orbit. And then, only at the very last moment, do you really know where it is going to hit." Source: http://www.voanews.com/english/Africa/2008-11-14-voa41.cfm

there is the funny part grin grin
Re: Satellite Missing: 1st Chinese 419 To Nigeria by Mustay(m): 11:59am On Nov 15, 2008
e fit drop on top white house, them go call am terrorist attack cheesy
Re: Satellite Missing: 1st Chinese 419 To Nigeria by sakraan: 12:09pm On Nov 15, 2008
hello!
how r u?
I hope u will be fine.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Compilation / I Didn’t Abandon My Responsibility - Jonathan / Senator Albishir Dies In A Car Crash

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.