Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,015 members, 7,863,680 topics. Date: Monday, 17 June 2024 at 11:17 PM

All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! - Sports (330) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! (704816 Views)

Nigeria's U-23 Team Land In Lagos Following AFCON Victory (Photos) / Samson Siasia Flaunts The U-23 Trophy And His Medal (Photo) / All The News About The Golden Eaglets (U-17) HERE! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (327) (328) (329) (330) (331) (332) (333) ... (341) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Icon4s(m): 5:26am On Aug 14, 2016
thegoodjoehunt3:

2014! 2014!! 2014!!!

Icon4s, Iheanacho, Super Eagles, 2014!!!

Then you do not know Icon4s. New Zealand, WYC was in 2015 and you think Icon4s who thinks the Senior team is strictly for experience will endorse Iheanacho who had not seen first team Jersey at Man City for Super Eagles in 2014.

Thanks TheGoodJoe for watching over my back. Have been so very busy of late.

I dnt know where forgiveness got that from.

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Icon4s(m): 5:59am On Aug 14, 2016
It was disappointing that some peeps wrote this team off bc dey lost 2-0 to Colombia in a meaningless match. Same way they wrote off the last Golden Eaglets hu lost 2-1 to Croatia having already qualified from d grp. Those set of fans never learn.

Although we won 2-0 but we still missed Etebo. Aminu Umar was lost for most of that first half.

Azubuike's absence is a major cause for concern. He also missed the semis at d CAF U23.
And I think one of Etebo or Usman Mohammed played d DMF.

Abdulahi Shehu is a DMF bt we dnt have a credible replacement for him at RB. I would suggest Usman Muhammed plays the DMF role. I know his poor first half performance against d Danes was there to see. But the Usman Muhammed I know is better than that.Players usually once in a while have their off days or off few minutes. Let's also look at his other good games.

Sadiq Popoola can play in CMF. I am not with those that ask that Mikel be withdrawn to d DMF position. Let him continue with the AM role.

As for Sadiq Umar, he has to work on his foot work. At times he gets clumsy with it. His height is a major factor here.

Imoh Ezekiel got selfish in d second half. It is understandable bc he too is a striker.He could also be playing according to d coache's instruction by taking his own chances too. And this will make him so unpredictable. Ah but there was a pass he was supposed to lay back to Mikel by he turned and attempted to score.

As for the Germany game. With the right spirit and if the boys really show up we can very easily win that game.

Prio to the kick off of the tourney my expectation for this team was a semi final place. But I am now begining to think we can get Gold. But henn Brazil are on fire o.

3 Likes

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 7:52am On Aug 14, 2016
BascoVanVeli:

Ok but we shall beat Denmark. I am all in right now no chance i go back. After the event is over i will make my comments but till then go Naija.

You amazed me with your prediction

2 Likes

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by enomakos(m): 10:40am On Aug 14, 2016
DrinkWater10:

Hello.
Is,Ndifreke Udoh the same Ndifreke Effiong who plays for Abia Warriors?
yes
ndifreke udo effiong

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by tbaba1234: 11:14am On Aug 14, 2016
In other news, I got married this weekend. Friday and Saturday. I barely watched the match. Saw highlights though.

Who has watched the Germans play? How good are they?

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by jieta: 11:31am On Aug 14, 2016
tbaba1234:
In other news, I got married this weekend. Friday and Saturday. I barely watched the match. Saw highlights though.

and u did nt invite ur fellow nairalanders,God is watching.

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:38am On Aug 14, 2016
tbaba1234:

Congrats. May God Bless Your Marriage With Love, Joy And Fruitfulness. That is an amazing news.

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by AIG07: 11:39am On Aug 14, 2016
tbaba1234:

happy Married Life! Make baba Icon4s n other family men/women welcome u into d fold.

May God bless ur marriage.

Won't u take some break from d social world may 1yr(honey moon things) has our holy book says. *Winks*

2 Likes

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:45am On Aug 14, 2016
tbaba1234:

I have not watched them but we must expect a huge challenge in the midfield. The Bender Twins are crazy to play CMF/DMF together.

I just went through the squad list and saw their names. My eyes widened. They are among the very best of Germany.

One plays for Borussia Dortmund and the other plays Bayer Leverkusen. It feels they have played for ages. I am shocked they are on the squad.

They defend well and guy, they can pass. I believe lots of the German strength lie with the twins.

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by joseph1013: 11:51am On Aug 14, 2016
tbaba1234:

WOW...Congratulations sir. I wish you a fulfilling union!

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Nobody: 11:59am On Aug 14, 2016
tbaba1234:

Congratulations brother.
May Allah bless the marriage

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by joseph1013: 12:00pm On Aug 14, 2016
tbaba1234:

I watched Portugal vs Germany, incidentally it was on at the same time Man City was playing, and the viewing centre I went showed the two matches.

Germany completely outplayed the Portuguese. It was very impressive considering how dominant the Portuguese were in the opening games. The two Benders are an integral part of that squad.

To my mind, our best bet at winning our semi finals is to play like we did against Sweden. Mikel and especially Ezekiel will have to bring their A-game to the party. It would be difficult for us not to concede (I'm still not sold on Sincere) but if, with Etebo, we take our chances, we have a real chance of going for Gold.

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by tbaba1234: 12:12pm On Aug 14, 2016
joseph1013:
I watched Portugal vs Germany, incidentally it was on at the same time Man City was playing, and the viewing centre I went showed the two matches.

Germany completely outplayed the Portuguese. It was very impressive considering how dominant the Portuguese were in the opening games. The two Benders are an integral part of that squad.

To my mind, our best bet at winning our semi finals is to play like we did against Sweden. Mikel and especially Ezekiel will have to bring their A-game to the party. It would be difficult for us not to concede (I'm still not sold on Sincere) but if, with Etebo, we take our chances, we have a real chance of going for Gold.

Will Etebo be fit?
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by joseph1013: 12:30pm On Aug 14, 2016
tbaba1234:

Will Etebo be fit?
Yeah, the team doctor says he would be fit for the match on Wednesday.

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by fujirice: 12:55pm On Aug 14, 2016
tbaba1234:

Congratulations "sire" tbaba.
But e no good as you no invite us.
Anyway, may God bless your union and please take good care of iyawo for us.
smiley

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by lakesidepapa(m): 1:30pm On Aug 14, 2016
tbaba1234:

He who finds a wife finds a good thing and obtains
favor from the LORD. Congratulation and May God bless ur union..!

There's one thing i knw and believe about our national teams, they use to bring up a good fight against a strong opponent.

The German team is a strong team but we have the spirit... The machine will be dismantled and we'll scale through.

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by TheSuperNerd(m): 2:28pm On Aug 14, 2016
Wow! Wow!! Wow!!! Wow!!!! Wow!!!!! Wow!!!!!! Wooooooooooooowwwww!!!!!!!

Congrats Sir Tbaba1234.... smiley

tbaba1234:

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by BascoVanVeli(m): 2:31pm On Aug 14, 2016
terzurum5:

You amazed me with your prediction

I guess i was just being hard headed.Plus i felt the boys just wanted a day off and didn't know how to tell Siasia lol.

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by TheSuperNerd(m): 2:35pm On Aug 14, 2016
A certain Max Meyer is another to lock down. Julian Brandt also.

Davie Selke is their arrowhead in attack (even though Gnabry is top scorer) but cut-off the bender twins and Meyer, then you frustrate Selke... that's the way we gotta go. Like we did against the Swedes, European champs who beat the Germans in their Euro final, so must we do against the Germans.

Hopefully Etebo returns this time. This is the game that will possibly bring out the very best in Mikel Obi... Our midfield generalissimo.

I want him to roll back the times to the Fifa Confederations Cup when he dominated the spanish midfield of Xavi, Iniesta and Busquets. Mikel can and MUST DO IT Again.... smiley

And I believe He Will.... wink

TheGoodJoe:

I have not watched them but we must expect a huge challenge in the midfield. The Bender Twins is crazy to play CMF/DMF together.

I just went through the squad list and saw their names. My eyes widened. They are among the very best of Germany.

One plays for Borussia Dortmund and the other plays Bayer Leverkusen. It feels they have played for ages. I am shocked they are on the squad.

They defend well and guy, they can pass. I believe lots of the German strength lie with the twins.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 3:09pm On Aug 14, 2016
BascoVanVeli:

I guess i was just being hard headed.Plus i felt the boys just wanted a day off and didn't know how to tell Siasia lol.
grin
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 3:16pm On Aug 14, 2016
tbaba1234:

Congrats tbaba1234.
Wish you a blessed married life.

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 3:35pm On Aug 14, 2016
Indeed success has many friends!!!

[b][size=14pt]
Twitter reacts as Dream Team VI advance to semi-finals
[/size]
[img]http://images.performgroup.com/di/library/Goal_Nigeria/4b/52/john-mikel-obi_4b68hj8739xr1ranze8hh9v6h.jpg?t=-2054135510&w=620&h=430[/img]
The best tweets as Samson Siasia's side progressed to the semi-finals with a crucial victory over their European counterparts.

Nigeria U23 team defeated Denmark 2-0 at the Arena Fonte Nova in Salvador to advance to the semi-final of the Olympic football event.

John Mikel Obi opened scoring for Dream Team VI in the 15th minute before turning provider with an in-swinging corner in the 59th minute that was headed home by Umar Aminu.

Nigerians took to social media to comment on Samson Siasia's side's performance over the Danes.

Nigeria games are often a fun reminder of how Jose Mourinho stole John Obi Mikel's attacking soul— Miriti Murungi
(@NutmegRadio) August 13, 2016

Mikel to win Ballon d'Or.— Lolade Adewuyi (@Jololade) August 13, 2016

[s]C'mon 2nite boys! Forget about everything, Nigerians are behind u! Beat[/s]

m.goal.com/x/en-ng/news/17742/olympics/2016/08/13/26485492/twitter-reacts-as-dream-team-vi-advance-to-semi-finals
[/b]

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 3:50pm On Aug 14, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
AF Nigeria 2016 Olympics - Men Football Brazil
Siasia takes aim at Germany, salutes his defence
[/size]
Nigeria Olympic team coach Samson Siasia has said the focus is to beat Germany on Wednesday to qualify for the Gold medal match, while praising his defence for holding out against “a very, very good” Denmark.

Permutations have pitch Nigeria against hosts Brazil in the Gold medal match, but Siasia has insisted his team have to first eliminate Germany to reach the final.

“I don't want to worry about Brazil right now. I have the semi-final against Germany to think about and that is the only thing in my mind right now. After crossing the Germany hurdle, we will think of our opponents for the gold medal match,” Siasia said.

"We saw what the Brazilians did to the Danish team (4-0); they are a very good side. They didn't start well but the most important thing is how well you end. It's not easy scoring four goals against this Danish team.

“We have gone through a lot on this journey and we cannot get to the gold medal match and then freeze.”

The coach singled out his defence for keep a clean sheet after fears they may buckle against a rampant Denmark attack.

“We were actually worried about our defence, but they came out and played very, very well against a good Danish team,” he commended.

“I think these guys have to be applauded coming out like that, and getting those two goals. It wasn't an easy game but I am happy we are in the semi-finals."
africanfootball.com/news/637760/Siasia-takes-aim-at-Germany-salutes-his-defence
[/b]

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 3:53pm On Aug 14, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
AF Nigeria Premier League 2016/2017 Chelsea
Mikel restates Olympics Gold target, refunded cash paid to save team
[/size]
Chelsea star Mikel has restated Nigeria Olympic team’s resolve to win Olympic Gold 20 years after the original Dream Team recorded such a feat in Atlanta, just as he was refunded the cash he paid to free the team from a Sao Paulo hotel.

“We are all very excited reaching the semi-finals but the ultimate is the gold medal and as the coach has said, we are still taking it one match at a time,” said captain Mikel, who scored Nigeria’s first against the Denmark for Nigeria to go on and win 2-0 and qualify for the last four.

“My objective here, as with each of the other players, is to win the gold medal.”

The Chelsea star revealed they have tried to put behind them all the drama and controversies that have surrounded the team lately.

“In truth, there have been a lot of challenges, but every time we go onto the field, we forget about everything and make sure our fatherland comes first,” he said.

“We have done that so far and we will continue to do that, but we need more motivation."

Meanwhile, according to an official statement by the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF), the ministry of youth and sports has refunded to captain Mikel the $4,600 he paid for the team in São Paulo on their way to Salvador.

This is contrary to an earlier statement by the ministry that Mikel did not bail out the team.

Permanent Secretary in the ministry, Chinyeaka Ohaa, praised the team.

“I am happy to be a Nigerian, because in spite of all the challenges, you have taken the world by storm; you have by your performance given happiness to more than 160 million Nigerians,” he remarked.

“Football is the biggest unifying factor in Nigeria today. From Mr. President to the average Nigerian you have made everyone proud.

"I am humbled by your efforts, your commitment, your patriotism. I want to assure you that your sacrifices will not be in vain.

“Aside whatever the NFF have for you, we will as much as possible make you happy, if only you will be patient with us. Today, with your performance, I am convinced that you will get that gold.”
africanfootball.com/news/637743/Mikel-restates-Olympics-Gold-target-refunded-cash-paid-to-save-team
[/b]

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by lexyman(m): 5:17pm On Aug 14, 2016
tbaba1234:

Congrats bro , wish you a blissful marriage life ... Welcome to the club !

2 Likes

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by BascoVanVeli(m): 6:43pm On Aug 14, 2016
We should not underrate Germany they are the complete package of speed, size and skill.
We need to play the perfect match.
Look maybe later we figure something out with regards to our boys but for me i would change nothing. We should even make them trek to the match if it would keep them in this form(sorry did i go to far?).
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by tbaba1234: 7:52pm On Aug 14, 2016
The germans will be the hardest match. They looked good against portugal from the highlights, i saw.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Nobody: 8:34pm On Aug 14, 2016
tbaba1234:
The germans will be the hardest match. They looked good against portugal from the highlights, i saw.

Conjugal bliss sir.
The match against the Germans will be an herculean task. Can we surmount the hurdle?. Yes we can.

We can't afford to lose now looking at how far we have come. We are all Tournament favorites. The Germans can fall to our sword bcux they can concede goals too.

No room for errors come Wednesday. All of our players must put on their grade A game.

2 Likes

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by safarigirl(f): 3:27am On Aug 15, 2016
...we play the tough Germans and Brazil gets a field day playing Honduras....well, they certainly pulled an upset with South Korea, you can't discount them

Congratulations oga tbaba1234 on your marriage, wishing you happiness, fulfillment and a full house. I hope wifey will allow you watch games smiley

Meanwhile, did y'all know Mikel has now scored for Nigeria on every level of football?

2 Likes

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 7:26am On Aug 15, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Swedish Giants Helsingborg Snap Up Former Flying Eagles Midfielder
[/size]
[img]http://owngoalnigeria.com/2016/08/14/swedish-giants-helsingborg-snap-up-former-flying-eagles-midfielder/[/img]
Former Nigeria Under-20s midfielder Monday Samuel has joined Swedish giants Helsingborgs IF on a one year,six months deal, the club have announced.

He was signed from fellow Swedish side Ostersund FK, his second club in Sweden after a one year spell with Angelholms FF.

Already he has made five league appearances this season.

Samuel becomes the third signing of coach Henrik Larsson this summer, with the Nigerian expected to bolster the depth and quality of the team in the middle.

Larssson, the former Barcelona and Manchester United forward, who manages the team described the Nigerian as an exciting midfielder with fine range of passes, who will improve the quality of Helsingborg’s midfield.

22 year old Samuel trained with the coach John Obuh Under-20s of 2013, while he was a trainee at Portuguese giants Benfica, but failed to make the squad to the tournament in Turkey.
owngoalnigeria.com/2016/08/14/swedish-giants-helsingborg-snap-up-former-flying-eagles-midfielder/

[/b]

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 7:28am On Aug 15, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Slovak Side AS Trencin Hands Fresh Terms To Nigerian Quartet
[/size]
[img]http://owngoalnigeria.com/2016/08/14/slovak-side-as-trencin-hands-fresh-terms-to-nigerian-quartet/[/img]
Slovak top division side AS Trencin have handed new contracts to the Nigerian quartet of Samuel Kalu, Maduka Udeh, Aliko Bala and Kingsley Madu.

The club announced the deal via a statement on their official website, with Kingsley Madu, the most illustrious of the four players bagging a one and half year contract extension.

Madu,21, has three senior caps for Nigeria and he is presently at the Olympics with the Nigeria U-23, and his contract extension was primarily done to strengthen the Slovak side bargaining power as he is heavily linked with a move away from the club this summer.

Kalu,18, and Maduka, 19, both extended their contracts for three years after less than a year with the Slovak side with Kalu turning heads with his goals in attack, while Maduka who stands at over six feet is now an established member of the back four.

Bala, 20, extended his deal by two years after banishing the injury demons that have slowed him down since joining the team last season. He has been one of the stand out forwards of the team in the early part of this season.
owngoalnigeria.com/2016/08/14/slovak-side-as-trencin-hands-fresh-terms-to-nigerian-quartet/

[/b]

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by TheSuperNerd(m): 8:23am On Aug 15, 2016
That's a beautiful piece of statistics Safarigirl.... grin Welldone... smiley

Mikel has indeed scored at all levels and in major tournaments for Nigeria (U-17 World cup, U-20 World cup, Afcon, Olympics/U-23, Fifa Confederations Cup).

For Russia 2018, when we qualify... Mikel go score his first Senior World cup goal... wink Na that one remain pertaining to scoring at all major tournaments for Nigeria.

But indeed he has scored at all levels for Nigeria... smiley

Meanwhile, do you all remember that 20yrs ago (God, I was just 4.. Lol) Brazil were the Reigning FIFA World Champions when Nigeria took them on in the Semis at the 1996 Olympics?

Now We face Germany in the semis of the 2016 Olympics football tournament and Yep, Germany are also the reigning FIFA World Champions... wink

History... Chaiiii... I hope we sing a new song shaa... "When Nigeria beat Brazil" song don dey old... I wanna sing "When Nigeria Shocked Germany" grin

I wish us the best of the very best on wednesday.... smiley

safarigirl:
...we play the tough Germans and Brazil gets a field day playing Honduras....well, they certainly pulled an upset with South Korea, you can't discount them

Congratulations oga tbaba1234 on your marriage, wishing you happiness, fulfillment and a full house. I hope wifey will allow you watch games smiley

Meanwhile, did y'all know Mikel has now scored for Nigeria on every level of football?

3 Likes 3 Shares

(1) (2) (3) ... (327) (328) (329) (330) (331) (332) (333) ... (341) (Reply)

Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread / The NBA Begins / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.