Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,458 members, 7,861,324 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 09:46 AM

All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! - Sports (331) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! (704433 Views)

Nigeria's U-23 Team Land In Lagos Following AFCON Victory (Photos) / Samson Siasia Flaunts The U-23 Trophy And His Medal (Photo) / All The News About The Golden Eaglets (U-17) HERE! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (328) (329) (330) (331) (332) (333) (334) ... (341) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Pavarotti: 8:28am On Aug 15, 2016
Iwobi : Nigeria Will Qualify For Russia 2018

Nigeria and Arsenal midfield maestro Alex Iwobi is sure of Nigeria’s Qualification for the 2018 World Cup in Russia

The 20 year old Midfield gem revealed this in an exclusive chat with Fifa.com where he discussed his rapid rise in the game

“It is a tough group for sure, but I don’t think . . . .read more http://www.soccerassembly.com/iwobi-nigeria-will-qualify-for-russia-2018/

2 Likes

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by joseph1013: 8:41am On Aug 15, 2016
Pavarotti:

Nigeria and Arsenal midfield maestro Alex Iwobi is sure of Nigeria’s Qualification for the 2018 World Cup in Russia

The 20 year old Midfield gem revealed this in an exclusive chat with Fifa.com where he discussed his rapid rise in the game

“It is a tough group for sure, but I don’t think . . . .read more http://www.soccerassembly.com/iwobi-nigeria-will-qualify-for-russia-2018/
Please what's stopping you from giving us the full gist of this news. Your constant link to that site is infuriating.

We are here to discuss and to share news, not to promote and spam links. Thanks

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:41am On Aug 15, 2016
TheSuperNerd:
That's a beautiful piece of statistics Safarigirl.... grin Welldone... smiley

Mikel has indeed scored at all levels and in major tournaments for Nigeria (U-17 World cup, U-20 World cup, Afcon, Olympics/U-23, Fifa Confederations Cup).

For Russia 2018, when we qualify... Mikel go score his first Senior World cup goal... wink Na that one remain pertaining to scoring at all major tournaments for Nigeria.

But indeed he has scored at all levels for Nigeria... smiley

Meanwhile, do you all remember that 20yrs ago (God, I was just 4.. Lol) Brazil were the Reigning FIFA World Champions when Nigeria took them on in the Semis at the 1996 Olympics?

Now We face Germany in the semis of the 2016 Olympics football tournament and Yep, Germany are also the reigning FIFA World Champions... wink

History... Chaiiii... I hope we sing a new song shaa... "When Nigeria beat Brazil" song don dey old... I wanna sing "When Nigeria Shocked Germany" grin

I wish us the best of the very best on wednesday.... smiley

Another interesting view.

Papa Ejima will fight Umu Ejima.

Mikel (Father of Twins) will play in the attack midfield of Nigeria. He will face Bender Brothers (Twins) who play defensive midfield for Germany.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by zoboizee: 10:04am On Aug 15, 2016
I think Mikel is best of a defensive midfielder. he's had more interception than usman. Imoh still the most enterprising so far. My best- Imoh, Shehu, Mikel, Etebo, & Troost.. That Amusie positioning & crossing needs lots of improvement.

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by lexyman(m): 10:39am On Aug 15, 2016
zoboizee:
I think Mikel is best of a defensive midfielder. he's had more interception than usman. Imoh still the most enterprising so far. My best- Imoh, Shehu, Mikel, Etebo, & Troost.. That Amusie positioning & crossing needs lots of improvement.

If i don't want to mention the established player , my best at this tournament is sheu , he reminds me of Philip Lahm at his young age . Always attacking .

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 11:05am On Aug 15, 2016
Pavarotti:

there are any easy groups – it’s international level competition.

I’m confident we can prevail, we definitely have the players to. If we prepare well, focus and play to the best of our ability I’m sure we will qualify said Iwobi

“All the teams [in the group] are good teams that have been former AFCON winners, and have players playing at the highest level, so we know we’ll be up against well-prepared teams.”

Iwobi also Spoke to Fifa.com about his uncle and Super Eagles Legend J J Okocha

“He is my mums’ younger brother and was and is still a great role model to me on and off the pitch, as he always guides me and advises me with what I need to do to become the best athlete possible. So yes, he has had a big part in my development as a player.” Says Iwobi

“He has given me so much information on how to better myself as a person, as well as a player.” “The advice I will always remember from him is to always play with a smile on my face and enjoy my football.”

Iwobi who was born in Lagos, Nigeria, moved to England as a four-year-old and joined Arsenal’s academy three years later . He made his first team debut in the League Cup in October last year.

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 11:09am On Aug 15, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
DONE DEAL: Otigba Makes Loan Switch To Kasimpasa
[/size]
[img]http://owngoalnigeria.com/2016/08/09/done-deal-otigba-makes-loan-switch-to-kasimpasa/[/img]
Nigerian born- former Hungary youth international has sealed a season long loan switch to Turkish Super Lig side Kasimpasa from Dutch side Heerenveen, the club have announced.

Owngoalnigeria.com has reported his medicals two days back with Kasimpasa, and the hard tackling defender will now replace Nigerian international Kenneth Omeruo who returned back to Chelsea, after the expiration of his loan deal.

His deal to Kasimpasa has an option for the Turkish side to make the deal permanent next summer based on his performances in the blue and white jersey of Kasimpasa.

23 year old Otigba has 88 top flight league games experience, all achieved while playing for Heerenveen in the Dutch Eredivisie. Although he has represented Hungary at youth level he has long voice out his desire to represent Nigeria at senior level.
owngoalnigeria.com/2016/08/09/done-deal-otigba-makes-loan-switch-to-kasimpasa/

[/b]

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 11:18am On Aug 15, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
FC Porto Names Chidozie Awaziem In UEFA Champions League Squad
[/size]
[img]http://owngoalnigeria.com/2016/08/09/fc-porto-names-chidozie-awaziem-in-uefa-champions-league-squad/[/img]
Chidozie Awaziem remarkable 18 months in Portugal has been crowned by FC Porto listing him in their 2016/2017 UEFA Champions League squad.

19 year old Awaziem who signed fresh terms with the Portuguese giants last season rose to the first team of FC Porto, after just six months at the Estadio Dragao following his strong showings for the B team.

Awaziem got his first team breakthrough during the second half of last season and ended the season with a total of 13 appearances for the first team.

The highly rated teen defender already has one appearance to his name this season, after starring for the B team in their season opener against Desportivo Aves.

Known for his firmness in tackles and aerial abilities, he ended last season with a goal to his name in a Cup game against Gil Vicente in addition to the two he scored for the B team who emerged champions of the second division.
owngoalnigeria.com/2016/08/09/fc-porto-names-chidozie-awaziem-in-uefa-champions-league-squad/

[/b]

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 11:30am On Aug 15, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
AF Nigeria 2016 Olympics - Men Football Nigeria U23
'Jay Jay' Okocha warns Olympic team: You can't be rich playing for Nigeria
[/size]
Former Nigeria skipper Austin ‘Jay Jay’ Okocha has warned the country’s Olympic team in Rio they cannot become rich simply by playing for Nigeria.

Money problems have marred the team’s march to the semi-finals of the Rio Olympics, just as they did two years ago when the Super Eagles also held the country to ransom before they were paid appearance bonuses also in Brazil.

Okocha, who clocked 43 years on Sunday, has now told the latest edition of the Dream Team they should rather be proud they are representing Nigeria than hope to make money doing so.

“You can’t get rich playing for Nigeria, you will get exposure and touch lives,” Okocha said as he marked his birthday with a visit to internally displaced people.

“We have to look beyond match bonuses when playing for our country.”

‘Jay Jay’ recalled how his turning professional in Germany wiped out poverty from his family.

“The decision to take the flight to Germany took away poverty from my family,” he recounted.

Okocha, who won Olympic Gold in 1996 and featured at three World Cups, played for Eintracht Frankfurt (Germany), PSG (France), Fenerbache (Turkey), Bolton, Hull City (England) and in Qatar before he finally quit the game.
africanfootball.com/news/638012/Jay-Jay-Okocha-warns-Olympic-team-You-cant-be-rich-playing-for-Nigeria

[/b]

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 11:33am On Aug 15, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
AF Nigeria 2016 Olympics - Men Football Cameroon
Eagles coach Rohr pencils down Troost-Ekong, Musa Mohammed
[/size]
by Samm Audu
Monday Aug 15, 2016.

AfricanFootball.com has again scooped that Super Eagles coach Gernot Rohr has swung into action to put together his defence ahead of the 2018 World Cup qualifiers in October by penciling down William Troost-Ekong and Musa Mohammed.

Rohr has hit the ground running by flying out to Spain to watch the NPFL All-Stars feature in a series of friendlies against Spanish clubs including Valencia and Atletico Madrid.

A top official told AfricanFootball.com: “Troost-Ekong and Musa Mohammed are among the defenders Rohr will consider for the World Cup qualifiers.

“He has mentioned the names of some of the players he is counting on for the qualifiers and some of them will be called up for the AFCON qualifier against Tanzania in Port Harcourt.”

Norway-based Troost-Ekong is currently leading the defence line of the country at the Rio Olympics.

The central defender, who was eligible to also feature for Holland by virtue of his Dutch mother, debuted for Nigeria against Chad in an AFCON qualifier in Kaduna in June 2015.

Musa, on the other hand, made his long-awaited Eagles bow against Mali in a friendly in France in May.

He also featured in a 3-1 win over Luxembourg that same month.

He is an all-action right fullback, who has captained both the country’s U17 and U20s.
africanfootball.com/news/637894/Eagles-coach-Rohr-pencils-down-Troost-Ekong-Musa-Mohammed
[/b]

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 11:37am On Aug 15, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
AF Nigeria Nigeria
Top Danish agent salutes Dream Team, Kaduna Ultimate Cup
[/size]
Danish former professional player, Mohamed Khayat, who had predicted a Nigeria victory before the Dream Team VI rounded up his country’s U23 team 2-0 in the quarterfinals of the ongoing Olympic Games in Rio, said he always knew Nigeria has what it takes to be among the best in the world.

The general manager Think Ball and Sports Consulting, who is based in Copenhagen, Denmark, said when Nigeria lost 2-0 to Columbia in their final group match he told his friends on arriving the country that Nigeria’s Under 23 team did not disappoint in the match and are likely to qualify for the final.

“I did say that they will have a lot to play for in the quarter-final match against my country Denmark, which will definitely change the tempo of the team’s game,” he said.

“You always see the quality of their football and know that with a little hard work the sky wasn’t only their limit but a starting point. The team has character because in spite of the distractions and having lost by a wide margin to Denmark in a friendly they turned the tide against us in Saturday night match.”

Khayat, who is one of the football agencies representative at the Kaduna Ultimate Cup, said although it is his first time in the country he is amazed with the talent on display at the U19 championship.

”I’ve always known Nigeria as a basket of gifted footballers having worked with many Nigerian footballers in Europe and played against some like my partner, Augustine Nwajei,”he said.

“I came to have a firsthand experience with the rough diamonds in the country, who are the next generation of Nigeria’s football greats.”

The respected finance expert, who has been involved in football transfer business for more than a decade and an associate of Spain based ranked football agent, Anass Ouzifi, revealed that he has a big package for organizers of the event which will be unfolded in the next few days.
africanfootball.com/news/637784/Top-Danish-agent-salutes-Dream-Team-Kaduna-Ultimate-Cup
[/b]
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 11:42am On Aug 15, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
AF Nigeria La Liga 2013/14 Sunshine Stars
EXCLUSIVE: Spanish club Cadiz open transfer talks for Ezenwa
[/size]
by Samm Audu
Sunday Aug 14, 2016. 23:40

AfricanFootball.com can exclusively report that Spanish second division club Cadiz CF have opened transfer negotiations for goalkeeper Ikechukwu Ezenwa, who shone during the recent NPFL All-Stars playing tour of Spain.

A top source informed only AfricanFootball.com: “Cadiz have opened transfer talks for Ezenwa.”

The former Flying Eagles shot stopper was the main reason the NPFL All-Stars were not roundly beaten by Valencia CF and Atletico Madrid.

The experienced goalkeeper also commanded his goal area and got a standing ovation when he was replaced by Emeka Nwabulu in the second half against Atletico.

Ezenwa, who was top choice at this year’s CHAN in Rwanda, was cleared to join FC IfeanyiUbah this season after Sunshine Stars failed to pay him for three months.

Cadiz hosted the prestigious Trofeo Carranza Tournament, upsetting Atletico Madrid in the semi-finals before they lost the final 2-1 to Malaga.

All the goals were scored in the second and this was the first triumph by Malaga in the competition after they finished runners-up on three occasions.
africanfootball.com/news/637866/EXCLUSIVE-Spanish-club-Cadiz-open-transfer-talks-for-Ezenwa
[/b]

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 11:51am On Aug 15, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Mikel Singled Out For Special Praise By Atlanta 1996 Hero Kanu
[/size]

Retired Nigeria international Kanu Nwankwo has urged the Dream Team to go for gold at the Olympic Games.

The former Arsenal and Ajax Amsterdam hero led the Nigeria U23s to a famous victory over Brazil in the semifinals of Atlanta 1996, scoring a brace in a 4-3 come-from-behind win.

Chelsea midfielder John Obi Mikel was singled out for special praise by Kanu, while coach Samson Siasia was applauded for taking to the team to the semifinals in the face of adversity.

“Congratulations our dear dream team U23. Well done Mikel and the boys and the coach, we are proud of you all, keep going,” said Kanu on Twitter.

The Atlanta 1996 squad, coached by Dutchman Jo Bonfrére, also featured Austin Okocha, Emmanuel Amuneke, Daniel Amokachi and Victor Ikpeba amongst others.

Ifeanyi Emmanuel
www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=20092

[/b]

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by zoboizee: 2:23pm On Aug 15, 2016
terzurum5:
[b][size=14pt]
AF Nigeria 2016 Olympics - Men Football Cameroon
Eagles coach Rohr pencils down Troost-Ekong, Musa Mohammed
[/size]
by Samm Audu
Monday Aug 15, 2016.
AfricanFootball.com has again scooped that Super Eagles coach Gernot Rohr has swung into action to put together his defence ahead of the 2018 World Cup qualifiers in October by penciling down William Troost-Ekong and Musa Mohammed.
Rohr has hit the ground running by flying out to Spain to watch the NPFL All-Stars feature in a series of friendlies against Spanish clubs including Valencia and Atletico Madrid.
A top official told AfricanFootball.com: “Troost-Ekong and Musa Mohammed are among the defenders Rohr will consider for the World Cup qualifiers.
“He has mentioned the names of some of the players he is counting on for the qualifiers and some of them will be called up for the AFCON qualifier against Tanzania in Port Harcourt.”
Norway-based Troost-Ekong is currently leading the defence line of the country at the Rio Olympics.
The central defender, who was eligible to also feature for Holland by virtue of his Dutch mother, debuted for Nigeria against Chad in an AFCON qualifier in Kaduna in June 2015.
Musa, on the other hand, made his long-awaited Eagles bow against Mali in a friendly in France in May.
He also featured in a 3-1 win over Luxembourg that same month.
He is an all-action right fullback, who has captained both the country’s U17 and U20s.
africanfootball.com/news/637894/Eagles-coach-Rohr-pencils-down-Troost-Ekong-Musa-Mohammed
[/b]
Hmmmm..... Nigerian journalists! They can lie. How many matches has Musa played? Not one Super lig appearance in Turkey. And now he's quickly penciled down. Soon they will say Etebo fit for Germany game despite reporting hamstring that can take 4 solid weeks.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 2:33pm On Aug 15, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Chelsea praise Mikel's Olympic Games performance
[/size]
www.nairaland.com/attachments/4109509_johnobimikeljpg_jpeg71754a803dd8d47b4adda0b2749140e7
English Premier League club Chelsea has praised their midfielder John Obi Mikel and a host of other Nigerian players following Nigeria’s 2-0 quarter final over Denmark in the ongoing Olympic Games in Brazil.

Mikel was one of the stars of the night as he scored a nice goal, and then set up the second as Nigeria eased past their European counterparts.

Reacting to the game in a reported dedicated to Mikel and the Nigerian team, the Chelsea website wrote: “John Mikel Obi scored a classy goal to bring Nigeria within reach of an Olympic medal with a 2-0 quarter-final win against Denmark in Salvador on Saturday evening.”

“The Chelsea midfielder stole a march on his marker and calmly side-footed home for the first goal in a tense, entertaining encounter.

“Mikel earned a valuable 16th-minute reward for his attacking intent in midfield before a header from Aminu Umar doubled their advantage with an hour played.”

The Chelsea official website also went on to praise other Nigerian players on the night including goalkeeper Emmanuel Daniel and striker Imoh Ezekiel.

They wrote further: “Indeed, Nigeria needed a flurry of fine first-half saves from their goalkeeper Emmanuel Daniel, especially from Danish midfielder Frederick Borsting, to maintain their lead.

“Mikel and his team-mates stood firm, nevertheless, protecting a slightly apprehensive back four, as they defender from the front led by forwards Sadiq Umar and Imoh Ezekiel. The Blues veteran was also paramount and played a part in almost every opportunity for Nigeria.”

The English club also praised Mikel’s performance in the 2-0 loss to Colombia in the final group game.

Nigeria face Germany in the semifinal.
www.soccernet.com.ng/2016 /08/chelsea-praise-mikels- olympic-games.html
[/b]

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by joseph1013: 3:37pm On Aug 15, 2016
[b][size=14pt]Nigeria Under-23s Players Reveal Why They Gave Chelsea Star Mikel A New Nickname[/size]

A cross section of players of the Nigeria Under-23s, currently campaigning at the Rio 2016 Olympics have revealed the reasons why Chelsea star Mikel Obi was given a new nickname.

Mikel has been earning rare reviews for his role in inspiring Nigeria to the semi-finals of the football event of the Rio 2016 Olympics, with the captain scoring the first goal in their 2-0 quarterfinal win over Denmark.

The players in their closest, call Mikel “Odogwu”, a name in the Nigerian dialect of Ibo which means leader due to his leadership qualities which has rubbed off on them as young players.

Another of the team player, who played in the middle alongside the Chelsea star also told Owngoalnigeria.com, that the name is their own later way of showing respect to the Chelsea star.

” The name is what we call him in our circle, it was started by Azubuike Okechukwu and the rest is history but we hardly call him that to his face”, A player in the team told Owngoalnigeria.com.

Another player said to his face, they call him “Senior Man” but off it, he is refereed to as Odogwu as they can’t call him by his name due to the respect they have for him.

http://owngoalnigeria.com/2016/08/15/nigeria-under-23s-players-reveal-why-they-gave-chelsea-star-mikel-a-new-nickname/[/b]

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by joseph1013: 3:39pm On Aug 15, 2016
[b][size=14pt]Ex-Nigeria Under-17s & 20s Captain Deemed Surplus To Requirement At Turkish Side[/size]

The coach of Turkish Super Lig side Istanbul Basaksehir Abdullah Avci, has informed former Nigeria Under-17s and 20s captain Musa Mohammed that he does not form part of his plans for the 2016/2017 season.

Owngoalnigeria.com gathered from a reliable source in Turkey, that the 19 year old defender who was dropped from the Nigeria Under-23s prior to the Olympics in Rio is aware he has no future at Istanbul Basaksehir.

“It’s so clear, I believe he is aware that he doesn’t have a future at Istanbul Basaksehir, he is yet to play a single minute in their pre season games, aside that he wasn’t in the list of provisional players submitted by the coach for the 2016/2017 season.” He told Owngoalnigeria.com.

The right full back who came to prominence in 2013, when he captained the Nigeria U-17 to World Cup glory has found it hard to make the grade at his Turkish side, no thanks to the presence of other established full backs in the team.

Since joining the Turkish side last summer, he has made a total of four appearances in all competition without a single appearance in the league since his transfer.

They were reports that Scottish side Celtic and French Ligue 1 side Lorient, are eyeing a move for him but nothing concrete has come out of their reported interest since it was reported months ago.

http://owngoalnigeria.com/2016/08/15/ex-nigeria-under-17s-20s-captain-deemed-surplus-to-requirement-at-turkish-side/[/b]
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by joseph1013: 3:42pm On Aug 15, 2016
[b][size=14pt]BREAKING:FC Porto Loan Out Chidera Ezeh To Portimonense[/size]

Former Nigeria Under-17s and 20s forward Chidera Ezeh, has joined Portuguese second division side Portimonense on loan from FC Porto for the rest of the season.

He was today presented as a Portimonense player for the rest of the season during the second division side league game against Penafiel, a sign of how he has grown since last season when he had his breakthrough with the U-18s of Porto.

” He has joined Portimonense on loan for the rest of the season, am happy for him after the disappointment of missing out on a chance with the first team during pre season, he will be a hit for Portimonense” His agent Babawo Mohammed told Owngoalnigeria.com.

18 year old Ezeh, signed professional terms with the Estadio Dragao outfit last season, after spending the last two years training with the team following his exploits for Nigeria at the U-17 World Cup in 2013, which Nigeria won.

Last season, Ezeh was a revelation for the Under-18s of Porto, emerging as one of their top scorer as they romp to the title in his first season, and could have been a part of the pre season activities of the first team were it not for a surgery on his shoulders.

Comfortable as a forward or winger, he can also play from the flanks where his close dribbling skills,pace and trickery can cause havoc in the opposition half.

http://owngoalnigeria.com/2016/08/14/breakingfc-porto-loan-out-chidera-ezeh-to-portimonense/[/b]

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by OdenigboAroli(m): 4:00pm On Aug 15, 2016
joseph1013:
[b][size=14pt]Nigeria Under-23s Players Reveal Why They Gave Chelsea Star Mikel A New Nickname[/size]

A cross section of players of the Nigeria Under-23s, currently campaigning at the Rio 2016 Olympics have revealed the reasons why Chelsea star Mikel Obi was given a new nickname.
Mikel has been earning rare reviews for his role in inspiring Nigeria to the semi-finals of the football event of the Rio 2016 Olympics, with the captain scoring the first goal in their 2-0 quarterfinal win over Denmark.
The players in their closest, call Mikel “Odogwu”, a name in the Nigerian dialect of Ibo which means leader due to his leadership qualities which has rubbed off on them as young players.
Another of the team player, who played in the middle alongside the Chelsea star also told Owngoalnigeria.com, that the name is their own later way of showing respect to the Chelsea star.
” The name is what we call him in our circle, it was started by Azubuike Okechukwu and the rest is history but we hardly call him that to his face”, A player in the team told Owngoalnigeria.com.
Another player said to his face, they call him “Senior Man” but off it, he is refereed to as Odogwu as they can’t call him by his name due to the respect they have for him.
http://owngoalnigeria.com/2016/08/15/nigeria-under-23s-players-reveal-why-they-gave-chelsea-star-mikel-a-new-nickname/[/b]
Mikel ODOGWU! Very powerful title and probably too heavy for Mikel to carry. Odogwu actually means a war commander orca brave one.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by BascoVanVeli(m): 5:17pm On Aug 15, 2016
joseph1013:
[b][size=14pt]Ex-Nigeria Under-17s & 20s Captain Deemed Surplus To Requirement At Turkish Side[/size]

The coach of Turkish Super Lig side Istanbul Basaksehir Abdullah Avci, has informed former Nigeria Under-17s and 20s captain Musa Mohammed that he does not form part of his plans for the 2016/2017 season.

Owngoalnigeria.com gathered from a reliable source in Turkey, that the 19 year old defender who was dropped from the Nigeria Under-23s prior to the Olympics in Rio is aware he has no future at Istanbul Basaksehir.

“It’s so clear, I believe he is aware that he doesn’t have a future at Istanbul Basaksehir, he is yet to play a single minute in their pre season games, aside that he wasn’t in the list of provisional players submitted by the coach for the 2016/2017 season.” He told Owngoalnigeria.com.

The right full back who came to prominence in 2013, when he captained the Nigeria U-17 to World Cup glory has found it hard to make the grade at his Turkish side, no thanks to the presence of other established full backs in the team.

Since joining the Turkish side last summer, he has made a total of four appearances in all competition without a single appearance in the league since his transfer.

They were reports that Scottish side Celtic and French Ligue 1 side Lorient, are eyeing a move for him but nothing concrete has come out of their reported interest since it was reported months ago.

http://owngoalnigeria.com/2016/08/15/ex-nigeria-under-17s-20s-captain-deemed-surplus-to-requirement-at-turkish-side/[/b]

Thunder fire them.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by tbaba1234: 6:32pm On Aug 15, 2016
Musa Muhammad Turkish team refused to allow him come for the olympics and still declared him surplus to requirements. That is so unfair.

At least, he would have had a platform to market himself at the olympics.

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by tbaba1234: 6:34pm On Aug 15, 2016
Chidera Ezeh has been loaned out. Hope he proves himself.

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Napoleon55(m): 8:26pm On Aug 15, 2016
joseph1013:

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Pavarotti: 7:34am On Aug 16, 2016
We Were Not Ordered To Leave RIO – Dream Team Media Officer

Dream Team VI Media Officer Timi Ebikagboro has come out to deny reports making the rounds in the media that he and some other officials of the team as well as two alternate players were ordered back to the country.

http://www.soccerassembly.com/we-were-not-ordered-to-leave-rio-dream-team-media-officer/
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by enomakos(m): 5:36pm On Aug 16, 2016
tbaba1234:
In other news, I got married this weekend. Friday and Saturday. I barely watched the match. Saw highlights though.

Who has watched the Germans play? How good are they?

congrats bro
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by ChrisKels: 8:07pm On Aug 16, 2016
Win or lose against Germany, the guys have really performed beyond expectations considering what they have been through.

My observations so far:

1. With what Azubuike has shown in this tourney, Onazi's place in the SE is up for grab(if not lost). I mean that guy is good. His work rate is wow, just check out his role in winning possession that gave us the first goal against the Danes. Another thing that puts him ahead of Onazi is his passing accuracy. I don't see him staying in Turkey (Onazi's new home) after this tourney.

2. Moses Simon should either shape up or ship out with the emergence of Imoh Ezekiel. His runs, overall work rate, dribbling make me wonder why people talk about Gnabry when we have a similar player who is even better..(doesn't mean we should overlook him though). He(Ezekiel) is now the darling of Brazilian fans. D less said, the better MBOK.

3. ETEBO is destined for greatness. Another beast-like free scoring attacking midfielder in the mold of Amokachi d bull(though a striker in his days). Celta Vigo and Españyol, I read are already making enquires to see if they could get him before this window closes . He is the real deal biko.

4. Shehu Abdullahi : like someone rightly said here earlier, he does his things like young Lahm, always attacking and never forgets his primary role(defending). The way he reads his opponents movement and his tackles just dey sweet me. He is definitely not going down with his Portuguese team with his showing in Rio and the interests from top Portuguese clubs e.g Bragga. He is up there to save us from the shackles of Ambrose in the SE.

5. Nwa Obi Mikel, mimi-nwa, odogwu n'onwe ya, omere Iniesta, Bosquet na Xavi iwa. The man Dat pocket Toure in AFCON. the amiable leader. Captain fantastic. Abeg e don do. U r great and whoever is hating on u, is an enemy of obedience and good football. Have u guys noticed that this guy gets better as he ages unlike some guys that fizzled out while aging, yet one efulefu go come here come dey doubt his age, ka m nwetekwa gi.

6. EKONG has really grown In leaps and bounds thanks to that loan Dat took him to Norway. We have a rugged centerback in our hand. He is similar though not yet as good as Rafael Varane. I don't see Genk abi Gent sending him to another loan spell.

7. Usman never looks back, he keeps improving. He wll get better with time.

8. Sadiq will be better if he improves on his stamina and first touch. He's got d height, hold up play tactics and his decision making is somewhat above average. He is a prospect.

9. Amuzie and Aminu just don't want to improve.

My 2cents

3 Likes

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by OdenigboAroli(m): 9:03pm On Aug 16, 2016
ChrisKels:
Win or lose against Germany, the guys have really performed beyond expectations considering what they have been through.

My observations so far:

1. With what Azubuike has shown in this tourney, Onazi's place in the SE is up for grab(if not lost). I mean that guy is good. His work rate is wow, just check out his role in winning possession that gave us the first goal against the Danes. Another thing that puts him ahead of Onazi is his passing accuracy. I don't see him staying in Turkey (Onazi's new home) after this tourney.

2. Moses Simon should either shape up or ship out with the emergence of Imoh Ezekiel. His runs, overall work rate, dribbling make me wonder why people talk about Gnabry when we have a similar player who is even better..(doesn't mean we should overlook him though). He(Ezekiel) is now the darling of Brazilian fans. D less said, the better MBOK.

3. ETEBO is destined for greatness. Another beast-like free scoring attacking midfielder in the mold of Amokachi d bull(though a striker in his days). Celta Vigo and Españyol, I read are already making enquires to see if they could get him before this window closes . He is the real deal biko.

4. Shehu Abdullahi : like someone rightly said here earlier, he does his things like young Lahm, always attacking and never forgets his primary role(defending). The way he reads his opponents movement and his tackles just dey sweet me. He is definitely not going down with his Portuguese team with his showing in Rio and the interests from top Portuguese clubs e.g Bragga. He is up there to save us from the shackles of Ambrose in the SE.

5. Nwa Obi Mikel, mimi-nwa, odogwu n'onwe ya, omere Iniesta, Bosquet na Xavi iwa. The man Dat pocket Toure in AFCON. the amiable leader. Captain fantastic. Abeg e don do. U r great and whoever is hating on u, is an enemy of obedience and good football. Have u guys noticed that this guy gets better as he ages unlike some guys that fizzled out while aging, yet one efulefu go come here come dey doubt his age, ka m nwetekwa gi.

6. EKONG has really grown In leaps and bounds thanks to that loan Dat took him to Norway. We have a rugged centerback in our hand. He is similar though not yet as good as Rafael Varane. I don't see Genk abi Gent sending him to another loan spell.

7. Usman never looks back, he keeps improving. He wll get better with time.

8. Sadiq will be better if he improves on his stamina and first touch. He's got d height, hold up play tactics and his decision making is somewhat above average. He is a prospect.

9. Amuzie and Aminu just don't want to improve.

My 2cents

I don't have much to say about this tournament because I haven't even watched a full match. But the post above got my adrenaline running high.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by joseph1013: 7:31am On Aug 17, 2016
[b][size=14pt]Mikel: The quality has been amazing
[/size]

Mikel John Obi’s list of professional honours reads like something we all responded with when we were asked, “what do you want to be when you grow up?” when we were in primary school: A Premier League champion, a UEFA Champions League winner, a four-time FA Cup winner and a CAF Africa Cup of Nations champion. However, the list is not complete yet.

At Rio 2016, Mikel is embarking on an entirely different challenge: to lead Nigeria’s ‘Dream Team VI’ to its second Olympic Men’s Football Tournament gold medal. And as he told FIFA.com in an exclusive interview, the quality of the Rio 2016 tournament has been “amazing” and akin to the Champions League.

Ahead of Nigeria’s semi-final clash with Germany, Mikel talks about their successful campaign so far, his leadership on the team and writing a new chapter in Nigeria’s history in the tournament.

FIFA.com: Congratulations on making the semi-finals. In your opinion, why has this team worked so well?
Mikel John Obi: Sheer determination, effort, togetherness and unity in the team. It’s been absolutely amazing. Also the team is built to play offensive football and to express ourselves and make sure we create chances and score goals. I think it’s hunger and willingness to help each other on the pitch, to run for each other. We know exactly what to do when we play. I think that’s very important and that’s exactly what’s got us here.

How have you found the Olympic experience so far, compared with the many experiences in your career?
It’s been absolutely amazing. It’s been an experience that has reminded me of when I started playing with the U-17s and U-20s. I’ve enjoyed my time here and the experience has been very good. Playing with these guys, they’re great players. The energy, power and pace they bring to the game is just different. I’m very happy to be in this team and to be a part of this great experience.

In terms of your position on the pitch, you’re taking up a more attacking midfield role than you’ve been accustomed to at club level. Are you enjoying that role?
I grew up playing in a more offensive position, but what’s happened has happened. I’ve been playing holding midfield for 11 years now. But every time I come back to the national team, I play more offensively. I always try and make sure I make the team play and create chances. I enjoy it. It’s great to play in that position again.

It’s surprised me a lot. The quality is amazing. It’s like playing in the Champions League. One mistake and it’s a goal, trust me.

What have you enjoyed most about being a captain? What are you passing on to these young players?
Experience. I’m giving them a bit more knowledge that they’ll need in these kinds of games, because these have been high quality games. These guys look up a lot to me a lot, so I have to lead by example. I try to make sure I run as much as I can, so they will see that and run as much as they can! You have to lead by example. As long as I keep doing that and as long as we keep winning, for me the team is important. Individual performances are good, but as long as the team is playing well and winning, I’m very happy with that.

Has the quality of the games surprised you?
It’s surprised me a lot. The quality is amazing. It’s like playing in the Champions League. One mistake and it’s a goal, trust me. It’s been like that. Our defence has been solid, so let’s hope we keep going that way. The less we concede, I think we can create chances and hurt teams. We’ve shown that in this tournament. If we don’t concede, I’m sure we can score goals.

What would it mean to you to play for the gold medal at the Maracana?
One step at a time (laughs). To be honest, I haven’t thought about it yet. I don’t see past Wednesday. The Germans are a very good side, so we have to make sure we do our job. With this team, we don’t concentrate much on what the other teams do. We concentrate more on what we can give and offer on that day. The game before is gone. It’s about what we can produce at that time and in those 90 minutes or however long we’re going to play for. We always try to concentrate on that, and I think we’ve done that so far, so I don’t think we’re going to change.

You’ve won the UEFA Champions Leagues, two Premier Leagues, four FA Cups and the Africa Cup of Nations. What would an Olympic gold medal mean to you and to Nigeria?
It’s going to mean a lot. It’s going to mean the world to me. It’s going to be the icing on the cake. As much as anyone, I want to win. This is what it means to me no matter what I’ve won. I think winning with this team is going to be amazing. I’m hoping and praying for that.

http://www.fifa.com/mensolympic/news/y=2016/m=8/news=mikel-the-quality-has-been-amazing-2822408.html[/b]

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by joseph1013: 7:41am On Aug 17, 2016
[b][size=14pt]Heavyweight three joined by surprise package[/size]

The semi-finals of the Men’s Olympic Football Tournament at Rio 2016 sees three heavyweights of past Olympics and FIFA World Cup™ tournaments line up alongside a surprise Central American outfit. Honduras – the only side of the final four never to have won a medal - stand in the way of Brazil’s latest quest for gold, which will be decided at the spiritual home of Brazilian football, the Maracana. 1996 gold winners Nigeria and 1988 bronze-medallists Germany will look to write a new chapter in their Olympic history by sealing passage to the gold medal match in their clash in Sao Paulo. FIFA.com previews the tenth matchday at the Olympic Football Tournaments.

Matches of the day
Brazil-Honduras, Maracana, Rio de Janeiro, Wednesday 17 August, 13.00 (local time)
After 11 games at the 2014 World Cup and Rio 2016 combined, A Seleção will finally walk out at the Maracana. Their dream of doing so again in Saturday’s gold medal match will be decided by their performance against Los Catrachos. The Rio 2016 hosts won an entertaining 2012 quarter-final between the pair 3-2, a game in which La H twice led, in the Central Americans’ previous best final ranking at an Olympic Football Tournament.

Jorge Luis Pinto’s side have been a functional mix of defensive solidity - with goalkeeper Luis Lopez in superb form against Korea Republic in the last eight - and electric counter-attacking, with Alberth Elis, Romell Quioto and Antony Lozano forming a lightning fast front three. They face the so far impenetrable Brazilian defence, with the ever-present back five of Weverton, Zeca, Rodrigo Caio, Marquinhos and Douglas Santos yet to concede at Rio 2016, a six-hour clean sheet so far.

Nigeria-Germany, Arena Corinthians, Sao Paulo, Wednesday 17 August, 16.00 (local time)
When it comes to the Olympic Football Tournament, these sides have to go back some way to reminisce about their glory days. Germany’s best performance came back in 1988 with bronze, two years before their 1990 World Cup win in Italy. They will be hoping for a reversed return to that era and go at least one better by reaching Saturday’s gold medal match, and a return to the Maracana, two years after their 2014 World Cup Final victory at the legendary stadium.

Nigeria’s Olympic success is slightly more recent, a 1996 gold medal by the fabled ‘Dream Team’ the highlight, along with silver in 2008 against a Lionel Messi-led Argentina in Beijing. Just three players at Rio 2016 - Robert Bauer, Julian Brandt and Grischa Promel - featured in the most recent meeting on a global stage between these two nations, the 2015 U-20 World Cup Round of 16 clash, which saw the Germans progress.

Player to watch
Julian Brandt (Germany)
The German No11 will be hoping to follow on from his performance against Nigeria in that U-20 World Cup knockout game, in which he was a menace down both flanks. At Rio 2016, the Bayer Leverkusen winger has yet to get himself on the scoresheet, but has been the standout performer in the German team. He has been at the centre of everything for the Nationalmannschaft, racking up seven assists, with two further goals coming from his shots rebounding out and being slotted home by team-mates, meaning he has been directly involved in close to half of his side’s 19 goals so far. Brandt himself anticipates a difficult game against the unpredictable Africans. “They are positively crazy because they take a big risk,” he told DFB-TV. “I consider Nigeria as offensively strong and very fast.”

The stat
8 – The combined number of Men’s Olympic Football Tournament medals between the Rio 2016 semi-finalists, with one bronze for Germany, two bronzes and three silvers for Brazil and a silver and gold for Nigeria. Add to that the nine combined World Cups between Germany and Brazil, and the heavyweight status of three of the final four – and the task at hand for Honduras - is clear to see.

The words
“Maybe they will be a bit similar to the Swedish or Danish teams we faced. We have to make sure we’re ready. We have to make sure we play well and hopefully we do exactly what [coach Samson Siasia] asks us to do. He’s been absolutely amazing with his tactics and with the way he wants us to play.”
John Obi Mikel, Nigeria captain.

Match schedule
Semi-finals
Brazil-Honduras, 13:00, Maracana, Rio de Janeiro
Nigeria-Germany, 16:00, Arena Corinthians, Sao Paulo

http://www.fifa.com/mensolympic/news/y=2016/m=8/news=heavyweight-three-joined-by-surprise-package-2822409.html
(All times local)[/b]

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 11:44am On Aug 17, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Nigeria player pained after he's thrown out of Olympics hotel
[/size]

Nigeria Olympic Team.

One of the Nigeria footballers ordered home from the Rio Olympics has lamented how they were thrown out of the team’s hotel and had to spend their own money to pay for the two nights they spent in Brazil thereafter before they flew out to Nigeria.

Cash-strapped Nigeria authorities ordered two alternate players Stanley Dimgba and Yusuf Mohammed as well as several officials to head home because they could no longer pay their way.

“God will fight my fight for me. It was heart-breaking when we were told to quit the team’s hotel in Sao Paulo,” said the player, who did not want to be identified.

“When you returned to Sao Paulo (from Salvador)they gave rooms to only the 18 players registered for the competition and even some team officials did not get hotel rooms too.

“For the two extra nights we spent in Brazil, we had to pay with our own money for our hotel and feeding.

“That is life for you.”

Nigeria take on Germany in a Rio Olympics semi-final on Wednesday by 8pm.

By Kola Daniel
http://africanfootball.com/news/638697/Nigeria-player-pained-after-he-s-thrown-out-of-Olympics-hotel
[/b]
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 11:45am On Aug 17, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Kanu drums up support for Nigeria ahead Germany showdown
[/size]

Nwankwo Kanu

by Samm Audu

Atlanta '96 Gold-winning captain Nwankwo Kanu has called on Nigerians to rally behind the team when they face Germany in tomorrow’s Rio Olympics semi-final on their way to going all the way again.

The Nigeria Olympic team, tagged Dream Team VI, will take on Germany at the Arena Corinthians in Sao Paulo on Wednesday night for a place in the Gold medal match.

And the two-time African Footballer of the Year, said the coach Samson Siasia-led side were on the threshold of history and must be supported to go and win yet another Olympic soccer Gold 20 years after they first achieved this feat.

"The Olympic Eagles have done well and they deserve a pat on the back; and I want to use this opportunity to call on well-meaning Nigerians to support them at this point," began the former Arsenal striker.

He continued: "Coach Siasia has done really well despite all the challenges they have faced and I want to commend captain Mikel Obi for leading by example and everyone in the team has done well."

Kanu said the team must be on top of their game and surmount Germany so as to qualify for the Gold at the weekend, adding the players need prayers as well.

"We are just two matches away from making history as the first African country to win the soccer Gold medal twice after we won 20 years ago in Atlanta," he said.

"Now is the time to support them with our prayers so that the team could make us proud again."
http://africanfootball.com/news/638582/Kanu-drums-up-support-for-Nigeria-ahead-Germany-showdown

[/b]

2 Likes

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 11:47am On Aug 17, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Siasia expects rush by Euro clubs for Imoh Ezekiel
[/size]

Imo (right) against Sweden

by Samm Audu

Nigeria Olympic team coach Samson Siasia has said he expects some of Europe’s top clubs to join the race to sign forward Imoh Ezekiel.

Last season, the 22-year-old Ezekiel played on loan at top Belgian club Anderlecht from Qatari club Al Arabi.

He had started out at another Belgian club Standard Liege in 2012.

A top team official told AfricanFootball.com: “Siasia had already tipped the player to be hotly chased by top clubs in Europe to sign for them because the striker has proved how good he is as a striker and a team performer too.

“Siasia has been pleasantly surprised by the player’s commitment at the Rio Olympics.

“He said despite the fact that he is well aware of Ezekiel’s quality, he did not believe the work rate and overall performances the player had put in in Nigeria’s march to the semi-final of the competition.”
http://africanfootball.com/news/638393/Siasia-expects-rush-by-Euro-clubs-for-Imoh-Ezekiel

[/b]

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (328) (329) (330) (331) (332) (333) (334) ... (341) (Reply)

Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread / The NBA Begins / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 144
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.