Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,741 members, 7,844,432 topics. Date: Wednesday, 29 May 2024 at 08:59 PM

All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! - Sports (87) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! (701839 Views)

Nigeria's U-23 Team Land In Lagos Following AFCON Victory (Photos) / Samson Siasia Flaunts The U-23 Trophy And His Medal (Photo) / All The News About The Golden Eaglets (U-17) HERE! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (84) (85) (86) (87) (88) (89) (90) ... (341) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 4:25pm On Nov 05, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
AF Nigeria 2015 CAF U23 Championship Qualifiers Mali U23
Hot from Africa: Siasia gets final warning
[/size]
[img]http://africanfootball.com/news/581535/Hot-from-Africa-Siasia-gets-final-warning[/img]
Siasia - Escapes sack as Nigeria U23 coach

Nigeria U23 coach Samson Siasia has been issued a final warning by the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) after his critical comments against his employers.

He has also been fined 500,000 Naira and ordered to apologise in the media after he revealed he was owed three months’ pay and his team have been abandoned and so not ready for the Africa U23 Nations Cup in Senegal later this month.

An official said: “Siasia has been very sober since his bosses came down hard on him.”
Siasia was queried for his media comments and the NFF had already placed Eagles assistant coach Salisu Yusuf on standby to lead Dream Team VI to Senegal.

The African U23 Nations Cup, which will also be a qualifying tournament for next year's Rio Olympics, kicks off November 28 in Dakar and Nigeria are drawn with Egypt, Mali and Algeria in the group phase.
[/b]

africanfootball.com/news/581535/Hot-from-Africa-Siasia-gets-final-warning
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 4:29pm On Nov 05, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Siasia faces selection headache
[/size]
Two weeks of contrasting fortunes for U-23 National Team Head Coach, Samson Siasia, has ended with sheer headache on which players he should pick for the pre-Africa U-23 Cup of Nations camp in Morocco.

Last week, it was a frustrated Siasia who cried out that his camp was empty due to clubs’ incessant demand for their players to report for club duties. This week, the story has changed as the former Super Eagles’ Head Coach is now faced with the problem of selecting the 30 players who will make his list to Morocco where the team will have a final camping before proceeding to Senegal for the Africa U-23 Cup of Nations starting on November 28.

The invited 35 home -based players were at the team’s training session on Tuesday evening, with competition intense as they struggled to impress as the list of 30 is soon to be compiled. The session was so charged that Siasia had to tell the players to take things easy so as to avoid injuries.

Expressing satisfaction with the players in camp, an elated Siasia said: “For now, all I can say is that I am very happy with what I have seen as the players came back from their club engagements fully refreshed and ready to do the nation proud. The NFF has also responded positively to my cry for the release of these players so we can prepare properly for the big task of picking one of Africa’s tickets for the football event of next year’s Olympics in Rio de Janeiro.

“I must confess that selecting the 30 players who will be departing the shores of this country for Morocco is giving myself and my assistants real headache, but this is a positive headache which at the end of the day will enable us select only the best that will fly the nation’s flag with gusto.”

Meanwhile, the Dream Team will on Thursday at the National Stadium, Abuja trade tackles with newly promoted NPFL club Niger Tornadoes of Minna. The encounter is expected to kick off at 4pm.
On Saturday morning, the team will engage C.O.D FC of Lagos.

FULL LIST OF PLAYERS IN U-23 CAMP
1.Emmanuel Daniel (Enugu Rangers)
2.Yusuf Mohammed (Kano Pillars)
3.Emmanuel Iwu (Heartland FC)
4.Segun Oduduwa (Nath Boys)
5.Sincere Seth (Rhapsody Academy)
6.Erhun Obanor (Abia Warriors)
7.Daniel Etor (Enyimba FC)
8.Oghenekaro Etebo (Warri Wolves)
9.Godwin Aguda (Enugu Rangers)
10.Usman Mohammed (FC Taraba)
11.Ndifreke Effiong (Abia Warriors)
12.Chukwuebuka Iroha (Diamond FC)
13.Austine Oladapo (FC IfeanyiUbah)
14.Christian Pyagbara (Sharks FC)
15.Stanley Dimgba (Warri Wolves)
16.Kingsley Sokari (Enyimba FC)
17.Godspower Effiong (Kano Pillars)
18.Ifeanyi Mathew (El -Kanemi Warriors)
19.Bright Onyeadikachi (FC IfeanyiUbah)
20.Prince Aggrey (Sunshine Stars)
21.Mustapha Abdullahi (Sportlight FC)
22.Bature Yaro? (Nasarawa United)
23.Zaradeen Bello (Kano Pillars)
24.Ahamefule Chizoba
25.Seun Olulayo (Sunshine Stars)
26.Tiongoli Tonbara (Bayelsa United)
27.Kufre Ebong (Warri Wolves)
28.Kingsley Eduwo (Sunshine Stars)
29.Abubakar Aliyu
30.Anaezemba Nzube (Enyimba FC)
31.Charles Chukwudi (Plateau United)
32.Daniel Enmanson (Akwa United)
33.Ibrahim Alhassan (Hearts FC)
34.Chisom Chikatara (Abia Warriors)
35.Adebayo Ajadi (36 Lions?)
[/b]

thenationonlineng.net/siasia-faces-selection-headache/

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 4:33pm On Nov 05, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
UEFA YOUTH LEAGUE: Umar grabs hat-trick for Roma
[/size]
Highly – rated Roma striker Sadiq Umar opened his account in the UEFA Youth League competition in superb style, notching a hat – trick as Roma thrashed Bayer Leverkusen 5 – 1 at Centro Sportivo Fulvio Bernardini (Trigoria Alta).

The lanky forward , who went the distance, netted in the 27th, 34th and 57th minutes and was cautioned in the 27th minute.

Teammate Nura Abduallhi slotted in at right – back for 70 minutes, while Ufumwen Osawe came off the bench for the German side 10 minutes out of intermission.

Arsenal could not keep their 100 per cent record intact after drawing 1 – 1 with Bayern Munich Under 19s 1 – 1 at Städtisches Stadion an der Grünwalder Straße (München).

Elsewhere, Aaron Eyoma made theGunners18 – man squad and hopped off the bench 14 minutes from time.

Over to the Cobham Training Centre, where defending champions Chelsea faced Dynamo Kiev. It ended 3 – 1 in favour of the Londoners.

England youth – teamer Ola Aina did not make the match day squad, whereas teammate Fikayo Tomori was introduced in the 83rd minute. Striker Ike Ugbo was an unused substitute.
[/b]

thenationonlineng.net/uefa-youth-league-umar-grabs-hat-trick-for-roma/

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 4:44pm On Nov 05, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Ekpo: Siasia Should Focus On Home-based Players For U23 AFCON
[/size]

By Izuchukwu Okosi:

Former Super Eagles midfielder Friday Ekpo is of the opinion that national U23 Eagles coach Samson Siasia should focus on working with home-based players for the forthcoming CAF U23 Cup of Nations which serves as qualifiers to the football event of the 2016 Olympics in Rio de Janiero,‎ Comple tesportsnigeria.com reports.

Siasia has released a provisional squad for the U23 Nations Cup which begins in Senegal this month amid his public spat with the Nigeria Football Federation over unpaid allowances.

Ekpo who was Siasia's teammate at the 1992 Africa Cup of Nations in Senegal spoke to Comple tesportsnigeria.com on the chances of the Dream Team VI to pick of the tickets to represent Africa at the Games.

"The U23 Championship will begin soon and as much we pay attention to other national assignments, we must also not forget the importance of the U23 team doing well in Senegal.

"All hands must be on deck to ensure the team succeeds. And I feel Samson Siasia will do well i concentrating on working with most of the players that prosecuted the All Africa Games in DR Congo because the U23 Cup of Nations is not on FIFA calendar, so it will be difficult convincing European teams to release their Nigerian players.

"The U23 team did not qualify for the football event of the last Olympics and that is not what we want to see. We must avoid the errors that led to that disappointment," Ekpo told Comple tesportsnigeria.com.

The 2015 CAF U23 Cup of Nations will hold November 28 to December 12.
Nigeria will play in Group B alongside Egypt, Algeria and Mali.

The Dream Team VI will play their first two games at the competition against Mali and Egypt at the Stade Caroline Faye in M'Bour and Algeria in their last group game against Algeria at the Stade Leopold Sedar Senghor in Dakar.

Group A contains hosts; Senegal, South Africa, Tunisia and Zambia.
The top three teams will qualify for the football event of the 2016 Olympics.
[/b]

www.completesportsnigeria.com/ekpo-siasia-should-focus-on-home-based-players-for-u23-afcon/

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 4:46pm On Nov 05, 2015
[size=14pt]
Akpom Hails Iwobi’s UCL Debut
[/size]

By James Agberebi:

Hull City loanee striker from Arsenal, Chuba Akpom, has expressed his delight following Alex Iwobi's UEFA Champions League debut for the Gunners against Bayern Munich on Wednesday night.

Arsenal lost 5-1 to the Bundesliga champions with quartet of Thomas Mueller (brace), Robert Lewandowski, Arjen Robben and David Alaba getting on the score sheet.

Iwobi was introduced for Arsenal goal scorer, Olivier Giroud, few minutes to the end of the match.
Reacting on the loss through his Twitter handle, Akpom described it as an unfortunate result, but happily hailed Iwobi's progress.

"Unfortunate result yesterday for the Gunners, but proud of my brother Alex Iwobi making big steps."

Iwobi also featured for Arsenal in their 3-0 win against Swansea City at the weekend.

www.completesportsnigeria.com/akpom-hails-iwobis-ucl-debut/

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by TheSuperNerd(m): 5:00pm On Nov 05, 2015
I've been following news covering the progress of the duo of As Roma's Nigerian youngsters, Sadiq Umar (forward) and Nura abdullahi (Right back/defender).

Earlier this season, they both made the As Roma main team's substitutes bench for a league game....... *smiles*

I strongly believe they are "super bright" prospects for the future of Nigerian football........
*smiles*

terzurum5:
[b][size=14pt]
[/size]
Highly – rated Roma striker Sadiq Umar opened his account in the UEFA Youth League competition in superb style, notching a hat – trick as Roma thrashed Bayer Leverkusen 5 – 1 at Centro Sportivo Fulvio Bernardini (Trigoria Alta).

The lanky forward , who went the distance, netted in the 27th, 34th and 57th minutes and was cautioned in the 27th minute.

Teammate Nura Abduallhi slotted in at right – back for 70 minutes, while Ufumwen Osawe came off the bench for the German side 10 minutes out of intermission.

Arsenal could not keep their 100 per cent record intact after drawing 1 – 1 with Bayern Munich Under 19s 1 – 1 at Städtisches Stadion an der Grünwalder Straße (München).

Elsewhere, Aaron Eyoma made theGunners18 – man squad and hopped off the bench 14 minutes from time.

Over to the Cobham Training Centre, where defending champions Chelsea faced Dynamo Kiev. It ended 3 – 1 in favour of the Londoners.

England youth – teamer Ola Aina did not make the match day squad, whereas teammate Fikayo Tomori was introduced in the 83rd minute. Striker Ike Ugbo was an unused substitute.
[/b]

3 Likes

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by BascoVanVeli(m): 1:27am On Nov 07, 2015
It is a pure crime that Isaac Success is not on that golden boy list, chai my poor boy just keeps getting snubbed.

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by enomakos(m): 6:14am On Nov 07, 2015
terzurum5:
[b][size=14pt]
[/size]

[/b]

he remind me of obafemi martins during his youth team day in inter milan

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 12:46pm On Nov 07, 2015
TheSuperNerd:
I've been following news covering the progress of the duo of As Roma's Nigerian youngsters, Sadiq Umar (forward) and Nura abdullahi (Right back/defender).

Earlier this season, they both made the As Roma main team's substitutes bench for a league game....... *smiles*

I strongly believe they are "super bright" prospects for the future of Nigerian football........
*smiles*

[size=14pt]
Naija, We 've got the talent joor
[/size]
Sadiq Umar, born Feb 2, 1997 is
Striker - Centre Forward (AS Roma Primavera) is actually a future prospect and should be ready for the next U20 squad. He is a great player in the mould of the Legendry Nwankwo Kanu, the 18 year can also be comparable to players like Blessing Eleke and a Centre Forward like Taiwo Awoniyi

Sadiq Umar

Nura Abdullahi, born Aug 17, 1997
also of AS Roma Primavera
is a Right-Back in the mould of
Chidiebere Nwakali.

Abdullahi Nura

Abdullahi, who scored 6 goals in the youth league last term

European champions Barcelona made initial inquiries about him
before he snubbed Clubs like Genoa and others to sign for AS Roma.

If we no win next FIFA U20 World Cup ehhnn!!!, make I know wetin cause am.
gringrin

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by thetelz(m): 2:04pm On Nov 07, 2015
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by BascoVanVeli(m): 2:55pm On Nov 08, 2015
Iheanacho, the time is now!
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:39am On Nov 09, 2015
Ok....... Now I need to raise this....... Again.

Sir TheGoodJoe, Please, I know you're a Man City Fan (A Honest and great one as that), so pls answer this?? Bony gets injured as early as that happened and instead of Pellegrini sending Nacho in, he sends in Navas and moves Sterling centrally............. I know Sterling can play centrally but with a "SUPER TALENTED FIT IHEANACHO" ON THE BENCH AND PELLE IGNORES HIM.... DON'T YOU THINK THIS ISN'T COOL?? WHERE'S THE "TRUST HIM MORE" I PREVIOUSLY RAISED COUPLE OF PAGES BACK??

I still feel that even Though Pellegrini is aware of Nacho's super talents and is doing a good job "nurturing" him, HE IS "SUBTLY SCARED" TO TAKE THE RISK OF THROWING HIM INTO THE LINE OF FIRE.......... HOW ELSE WILL NACHO KEEP PICKING UP "SUPER EXPERIENCE" IF HE DOESN'T GET GAMETIME EVEN WHEN BONY IS OUT??

If this how Man City wanna keep doing things, I guess I don't wanna see Osimhen and K.Nwakali there....... Spurs and Arsenal will be better options coz they're not afraid to "consistently" play "talented youth" plus they got great youth coaches just like Man City.

I like Nacho's progress at Man City so far (just as Ezeh's progress at Porto but he's yet to clock 18.... Same with Yahaya at tottenham.....) BUT PELLEGRINI REALLY NEED TO "TRUST HIM MORE". BONY GETS INJURED AND HE MOVES PLAYERS OUT OF POSITION TO FILL BONY'S ROLE WITH HIM ON THE BENCH........ This is not so good for Nacho's confidence...... (EVEN THOUGH I KNOW HE'S NOT TOO FAZED BY IT AS THIS WILL MAKE HIM EVEN MORE BEASTLY AND EVER READY TO PROVE "PELLE" WRONG on the issue of "more trust"wink.

Godday Sir and have a lovely Day....... **smiles***
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by safarigirl(f): 10:38am On Nov 09, 2015
TheSuperNerd:

Sir TheGoodJoe, Please, I know you're a Man City Fan (A Honest and great one as that), so pls answer this?? Bony gets injured as early as that happened and instead of Pellegrini sending Nacho in, he sends in Navas and moves Sterling centrally............. I know Sterling can play centrally but with a "SUPER TALENTED FIT IHEANACHO" ON THE BENCH AND PELLE IGNORES HIM.... DON'T YOU THINK THIS ISN'T COOL?? WHERE'S THE "TRUST HIM MORE" I PREVIOUSLY RAISED COUPLE OF PAGES BACK??

I still feel that even Though Pellegrini is aware of Nacho's super talents and is doing a good job "nurturing" him, HE IS "SUBTLY SCARED" TO TAKE THE RISK OF THROWING HIM INTO THE LINE OF FIRE.......... HOW ELSE WILL NACHO KEEP PICKING UP "SUPER EXPERIENCE" IF HE DOESN'T GET GAMETIME EVEN WHEN BONY IS OUT??

If this how Man City wanna keep doing things, I guess I don't wanna see Osimhen and K.Nwakali there....... Spurs and Arsenal will be better options coz they're not afraid to "consistently" play "talented youth" plus they got great youth coaches just like Man City.

I like Nacho's progress at Man City so far (just as Ezeh's progress at Porto but he's yet to clock 18.... Same with Yahaya at tottenham.....) BUT PELLEGRINI REALLY NEED TO "TRUST HIM MORE". BONY GETS INJURED AND HE MOVES PLAYERS OUT OF POSITION TO FILL BONY'S ROLE WITH HIM ON THE BENCH........ This is not so good for Nacho's confidence...... (EVEN THOUGH I KNOW HE'S NOT TOO FAZED BY IT AS THIS WILL MAKE HIM EVEN MORE BEASTLY AND EVER READY TO PROVE "PELLE" WRONG on the issue of "more trust"wink.

lots of City fans complained bitterly about this. They're peeved that Pelle doesn't rate Kelechi highly enough and asking that he's loaned out to a mid-tabke club if Pelle won't play him
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by mijestic: 7:33pm On Nov 09, 2015
Man City: Why Pellegrini didn't
bring on Kelechi sooner against
Aston Villa

Manuel Pellegrini has explained why
he didn’t bring on Kelechi Iheanacho for Wilfried Bony against Aston Villa.
Bony limped off after 25 minutes to
leave Manchester City without a
recognised centre forward.
Pellegrini opted to replace the Ivorian international with Jesus Navas, instead of academy graduate
Iheanacho.
The 19-year-old eventually came on as an 84th minute substitute for Raheem Sterling.
Asked why he didn’t bring the
teenager on sooner, Pellegrini said: “It could be another option, but I think that Jesus was important also to play for the right wing.
“Maybe if we scored the goal we are
talking about it being the correct
option, but after that you never know if Kelechi can change the game.
“But he’s not a striker. Normally he
plays behind the striker.”

www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/man-city-pellegrini-didnt-bring-10409591
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by TheGoodJoe(m): 7:47pm On Nov 09, 2015
TheSuperNerd:

[b]You can not change the order of things. Most Citizens and Nigerians expected Nacho to come in immediately but I knew it would not happen. Sterling and De Bruyne are ahead of Nacho in pecking order.

Sterling and De Bruyne can also attack. So Pellegrini rotated them upfront. I agree that Nacho would have been the ideal replacement but Pellegrini rates his players equally. He has his pecking order and he sticks to it.

As I said, I hardly argue with Pellegrini's choices because he is Super Experienced and he has done this a lot. Imagine him coaching a young Demeichelis at River Plate before Demeichelis ever came to Europe.

Remember, Nacho is not in the Champions League list. The players on that list are ahead in the pecking order before Nacho.

Where I was even frustrated was when Pellegrini chose to bring in Fabian Delph instead of Nacho. I think he wanted to give Fabian Delph playing time because he believes if Delph is fit, the team will be stronger.

No doubt, Nacho's input changed the dynamics of the game. The commentator said Man City looks deadlier with Iheanacho on the field because he always wants to make things happen.

Sad Nacho did not get an assist because we played better with his introduction.

We need to trust the experience of Pellegrini. As I said, he has done this for a long time.[/b]
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by TheGoodJoe(m): 7:54pm On Nov 09, 2015
mijestic:
Man City: Why Pellegrini didn't
bring on Kelechi sooner against
Aston Villa

Manuel Pellegrini has explained why
he didn’t bring on Kelechi Iheanacho for Wilfried Bony against Aston Villa.
Bony limped off after 25 minutes to
leave Manchester City without a
recognised centre forward.
Pellegrini opted to replace the Ivorian international with Jesus Navas, instead of academy graduate
Iheanacho.
The 19-year-old eventually came on as an 84th minute substitute for Raheem Sterling.
Asked why he didn’t bring the
teenager on sooner, Pellegrini said: “It could be another option, but I think that Jesus was important also to play for the right wing.
“Maybe if we scored the goal we are
talking about it being the correct
option, but after that you never know if Kelechi can change the game.
“But he’s not a striker. Normally he
plays behind the striker.”

www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/man-city-pellegrini-didnt-bring-10409591

With all due respect, Pellegrini dodged the question. He played a 4-3-3 formation with Yaya Toure behind the striker. He lost his only top man upfront and had only one striker on his bench and that is Nacho.

Nacho did well playing Behind Bony in a 4-4-2 formation where he had two strikers on the pitch. With only one striker fit, Nacho can not play behind a striker. Especially with the new style of play we are adopting with Yaya, Fernando and Fernandinho in midfield.

I think Pellegrini did not want to accept that his tactical plan failed. He felt if he gets De Bruyne upfront and brings in Navas to get the ball De Bruyne, we would win the game. Unfortunately, the chances came and De Bruyne squandered it.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 9:57pm On Nov 09, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
The Rise of Solomon Otabor
[/size]
Viv Solomon-Otabor capped off a 5-2 win against Fulham at the weekend with his first professional goal. Running from inside his own half, the Nigerian youngster forced Richard Stearman to backpedal for 40 yards before cutting back inside, dumping the Fulham defender unceremoniously on his backside in the process and lashing home from inside the area.

It’s been a meteoric rise for the youngster, who made his debut in the League Cup win over Gillingham at the start of the season having impressed in pre-season training. Now the winger, signed from Crystal Palace as a 16-year-old is in the Nigerian u23 squad for their upcoming qualifiers in Senegal and potentially on the verge of a new deal.

I think it’s easy to lump Solomon into a pattern of youngsters who have made it in recent years – Nathan Redmond, Demarai Gray and to some extent Koby Arthur all made it into the team as a tricky winger with the skills to get past opponents but Solomon is not that similar to them.

While he is a winger, Solomon is taller, stronger and probably quicker than Gray it’s that raw power that has seen him set people talking about him. I saw Solomon play for the reserves several times last year and in the last couple of months he particularly impressed me with how much he had come on in using his pace and power to beat people.

I think Solomon has benefitted from Dimmy (who is actually six months younger than him) being in the first team in that it gave the London-born youngster the chance to get a run in the development league and to build his skill there when he might have been competing with Demarai for a place. i’m sure he will have also seen how Dimmy has kicked on, improving on his game as he’s made more appearances and will have taken note that if he is to follow the same path he is to do the same.

Solomon is in a strong position now; with Gary Rowett sticking to his “small and tight” squad philosophy and having shipped out Mark Duffy out on loan to Burton it has given the teenager an opportunity to make the bench – something he has grasped with both hands. His cameos have all shown fleeting examples of what he can do and no doubt will have given Rowett food for thought about how he could cope with injuries like the one David Cotterill has recently sustained.

Although one of the biggest steps has been completed in making it to the first team, the next step is the hardest; maintaining that level of consistency to keep his place in the first team squad even when everyone is fit. For me, Solomon now needs to work on repeating what he did to Richard Stearman – driving back tiring defenders and forcing them into mistakes to create openings. The more he can do that, the more he is a real plan “b” off the bench and a potent weapon to change games.
[/b]

www.oftenpartisan.co.uk/archives/14509/the-rise-of-viv-solomon-otabor-2.html

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 10:00pm On Nov 09, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
[/size]
Viv Solomon-Otabor capped off a 5-2 win against Fulham at the weekend with his first professional goal. Running from inside his own half, the Nigerian youngster forced Richard Stearman to backpedal for 40 yards before cutting back inside, dumping the Fulham defender unceremoniously on his backside in the process and lashing home from inside the area.

It’s been a meteoric rise for the youngster, who made his debut in the League Cup win over Gillingham at the start of the season having impressed in pre-season training. Now the winger, signed from Crystal Palace as a 16-year-old is in the Nigerian u23 squad for their upcoming qualifiers in Senegal and potentially on the verge of a new deal.

I think it’s easy to lump Solomon into a pattern of youngsters who have made it in recent years – Nathan Redmond, Demarai Gray and to some extent Koby Arthur all made it into the team as a tricky winger with the skills to get past opponents but Solomon is not that similar to them.

While he is a winger, Solomon is taller, stronger and probably quicker than Gray it’s that raw power that has seen him set people talking about him. I saw Solomon play for the reserves several times last year and in the last couple of months he particularly impressed me with how much he had come on in using his pace and power to beat people.

I think Solomon has benefitted from Dimmy (who is actually six months younger than him) being in the first team in that it gave the London-born youngster the chance to get a run in the development league and to build his skill there when he might have been competing with Demarai for a place. i’m sure he will have also seen how Dimmy has kicked on, improving on his game as he’s made more appearances and will have taken note that if he is to follow the same path he is to do the same.

Solomon is in a strong position now; with Gary Rowett sticking to his “small and tight” squad philosophy and having shipped out Mark Duffy out on loan to Burton it has given the teenager an opportunity to make the bench – something he has grasped with both hands. His cameos have all shown fleeting examples of what he can do and no doubt will have given Rowett food for thought about how he could cope with injuries like the one David Cotterill has recently sustained.

Although one of the biggest steps has been completed in making it to the first team, the next step is the hardest; maintaining that level of consistency to keep his place in the first team squad even when everyone is fit. For me, Solomon now needs to work on repeating what he did to Richard Stearman – driving back tiring defenders and forcing them into mistakes to create openings. The more he can do that, the more he is a real plan “b” off the bench and a potent weapon to change games.
[/b]

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Icon4s(m): 10:38pm On Nov 09, 2015
terzurum5:
[b][size=14pt]
[/size]

[/b]

All these English tutored averagely talented players playing in lower leagues sef. Well hu knows? After all Dele Alli and Victor Moses started from championship sides.

2 Likes

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by BascoVanVeli(m): 11:28pm On Nov 09, 2015
TheGoodJoe:

With all due respect, Pellegrini dodged the question. He played a 4-3-3 formation with Yaya Toure behind the striker. He lost his only top man upfront and had only one striker on his bench and that is Nacho.

Nacho did well playing Behind Bony in a 4-4-2 formation where he had two strikers on the pitch. With only one striker fit, Nacho can not play behind a striker. Especially with the new style of play we are adopting with Yaya, Fernando and Fernandinho in midfield.

I think Pellegrini did not want to accept that his tactical plan failed. He felt if he gets De Bruyne upfront and brings in Navas to get the ball De Bruyne, we would win the game. Unfortunately, the chances came and De Bruyne squandered it.

He said Iheanacho is not a striker, since when did that happen?
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by thegoodjoehunt3(m): 12:15am On Nov 10, 2015
BascoVanVeli:

He said Iheanacho is not a striker, since when did that happen?

[b]When I watched the game, I saw Pellegrini scratch his head and shake it when he was sending Nacho on. What I noticed Pellegrini knew he made a mistake in that game. Not just a mistake. A very big one that might affect our future signings of young players.

I expected the Navas Change. When the goal did not come, Pellegrini threw on Fabian Delph and took off Yaya.

Then this whole statement that Iheanacho can not play in the box is bothering.

I think he looked for an excuse to explain his fright in throwing on a youngster. I respect Pellegrini so much but sometimes he gets frustrating. His buys are not over the top in performances. He had Dzeko leaving and spent £100 million on Sterling and De Bruyne.

He kept Nacho to fill Dzeko's departure and refused to play him when Bony injured.

I wonder if Pellegrini is scared of Nacho outshining Bony. Men, if Nacho is better and suits the system more, he should play Nacho. Nobody is perfect. Not even Pellegrini if Bony does not suit the team, drop him and give Nacho his chance.

He should play the boy anytime his top players can not find the net. Sterling and De Bruyne were too wasteful upfront. Pellegrini should give Nacho more games or many Young stars will not look at the Etihad Campus as the right destination.[/b]

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by BascoVanVeli(m): 7:12am On Nov 10, 2015
thegoodjoehunt3:

[b]When I watched the game, I saw Pellegrini scratch his head and shake it when he was sending Nacho on. What I noticed Pellegrini knew he made a mistake in that game. Not just a mistake. A very big one that might affect our future signings of young players.

I expected the Navas Change. When the goal did not come, Pellegrini threw on Fabian Delph and took off Yaya.

Then this whole statement that Iheanacho can not play in the box is bothering.

I think he looked for an excuse to explain his fright in throwing on a youngster. I respect Pellegrini so much but sometimes he gets frustrating. His buys are not over the top in performances. He had Dzeko leaving and spent £100 million on Sterling and De Bruyne.

He kept Nacho to fill Dzeko's departure and refused to play him when Bony injured.

I wonder if Pellegrini is scared of Nacho outshining Bony. Men, if Nacho is better and suits the system more, he should play Nacho. Nobody is perfect. Not even Pellegrini if Bony does not suit the team, drop him and give Nacho his chance.

He should play the boy anytime his top players can not find the net. Sterling and De Bruyne were too wasteful upfront. Pellegrini should give Nacho more games or many Young stars will not look at the Etihad Campus as the right destination.[/b]

I also saw the game and even the commentator felt Iheanacho was going to replace Bony, as disappointed as I was I knew one thing for a fact, no matter what the scoreline read Iheanacho was going to feature. When u look at the whole picture u can see that Iheanacho is a regular on this team and it is unprecedented for an African to make it this far just coming from a youth team, the boy has played almost the same amount of matches as Mikel and his team is much better thus far. Delphi had to play because it was against his old club and Navas got the nod at first because coaches in those positions always opt for veterans with the hope that they will be ready to play, plus KDB is not a right winger he plays better on the move.
I feel Man City have done their job, they have polished Iheanacho and gotten him ready for the big time his value should at least surpass 10 mil by now and that is a great thing.
In the case of our younger ones i would say to each his own because Nwakali also signed with city and he hasn't done anything progressive since. I wouldn't even go for England because of the process of getting their work permit and not Germany because their own youth are their top priority so to me it leaves Italy, Spain or even Belgium.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by khalids: 7:17am On Nov 10, 2015
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by thegoodjoehunt3(m): 7:28am On Nov 10, 2015
BascoVanVeli:

I also saw the game and even the commentator felt Iheanacho was going to replace Bony, as disappointed as I was I knew one thing for a fact, no matter what the scoreline read Iheanacho was going to feature. When u look at the whole picture u can see that Iheanacho is a regular on this team and it is unprecedented for an African to make it this far just coming from a youth team, the boy has played almost the same amount of matches as Mikel and his team is much better thus far. Delphi had to play because it was against his old club and Navas got the nod at first because coaches in those positions always opt for veterans with the hope that they will be ready to play, plus KDB is not a right winger he plays better on the move.
I feel Man City have done their job, they have polished Iheanacho and gotten him ready for the big time his value should at least surpass 10 mil by now and that is a great thing.
In the case of our younger ones i would say to each his own because Nwakali also signed with city and he hasn't done anything progressive since. I wouldn't even go for England because of the process of getting their work permit and not Germany because their own youth are their top priority so to me it leaves Italy, Spain or even Belgium.

My problem is not the Navas change. That was right. The Delph change was shocking. Delph is just returnjng to fitness. We were creating chances, De Bruyne and Sterling Kept squandering the chances.

Why he opted for Delph and the removal of Yaya who is one of our important goal scoring players baffles me.

Pellegrini also saying Nacho can not play as a striker is ridiculous because he plays it better than Sterling and De Bruyne. So why does Pellegrini continue trying them there and make it look as if Nacho can not play there.

Nacho attacks better than Bony. Last season Pellegrini played Milner in the striker position for a while. How bad is Nacho there that Pellegrini will make such statement.

I do not like questioning Pellegrini because he is a highky experienced Manager but if he continues this attitude of trying to force his buys to excel at the detriment of the team, I will be disappointed in him.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by joseph1013: 9:31am On Nov 10, 2015
thegoodjoehunt3:

My problem is not the Navas change. That was right. The Delph change was shocking. Delph is just returnjng to fitness. We were creating chances, De Bruyne and Sterling Kept squandering the chances.

Why he opted for Delph and the removal of Yaya who is one of our important goal scoring players baffles me.

Pellegrini also saying Nacho can not play as a striker is ridiculous because he plays it better than Sterling and De Bruyne. So why does Pellegrini continue trying them there and make it look as if Nacho can not play there.

Nacho attacks better than Bony. Last season Pellegrini played Milner in the striker position for a while. How bad is Nacho there that Pellegrini will make such statement.

I do not like questioning Pellegrini because he is a highky experienced Manager but if he continues this attitude of trying to force his buys to excel at the detriment of the team, I will be disappointed in him.
I cancelled my schedule on Sunday to watch that match. I was disappointed he wasn't introduced as soon as Bony got injured. You should see that when he came in, the attack came alive and his flick to Navas?? would have turned to a goal save for the top bar.

Some of the fans are so angry that they want Kelechi to go on loan if Pellegrini will continue to snub him. I think though that his time will come.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by safarigirl(f): 10:05am On Nov 10, 2015
The whole talk about him not bing a striker was what particularly miffes fans, because Pelle made em believe he had 3 strikers, now he's trying to say Iheaacho fits more in Silva's role (which was his original position)

So, half way into the season, you suddenly realize you have just two strikers? Especially when you need a third because the two are injury-prone......seems careless

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by wallay00: 10:41am On Nov 10, 2015
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by thegoodjoehunt3(m): 10:49am On Nov 10, 2015
joseph1013:
I cancelled my schedule on Sunday to watch that match. I was disappointed he wasn't introduced as soon as Bony got injured. You should see that when he came in, the attack came alive and his flick to Navas?? would have turned to a goal save for the top bar.

Some of the fans are so angry that they want Kelechi to go on loan if Pellegrini will continue to snub him. I think though that his time will come.

I can not blame the bitter City fans. It is frustrating when a coach as Experienced as Pellegrini who has trained so much stars behave as if he can not see the huge potential and talent in Iheanacho.

We are better and more threatening when he is playing. I think Pellegrini is protecting his buys.

If Pellegrini is not ready to give our talents their fair chance, it is better these guys close the Etihad campus and focus on buying ready made talents.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by thegoodjoehunt3(m): 10:52am On Nov 10, 2015
safarigirl:
The whole talk about him not bing a striker was what particularly miffes fans, because Pelle made em believe he had 3 strikers, now he's trying to say Iheaacho fits more in Silva's role (which was his original position)

So, half way into the season, you suddenly realize you have just two strikers? Especially when you need a third because the two are injury-prone......seems careless

As much I respect Pellegrini, I feel he wants to push a transfer to buy another striker. How can he say the best attacking talent to come out of the City academy is not a striker.

Nacho played as a striker for Veira and he finished as one of the most promising young talents in World football.

If Nacho excels, the executives might not give him moneh to buy another striker.

However, I feel if Nacho, Barker and Roberts are giving their fair chances, we would not need to sink in millions of pounds on players.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by BascoVanVeli(m): 11:04am On Nov 10, 2015
thegoodjoehunt3:

Pellegrini is a player's manager and not playing Delph upon his return to Villa would have been wrong, Iheanacho is not the only player he has to take care of. So like i said he at least played and he also created a great chance. We all know and love what Iheanacho has to offer but please remember in England he is a bright but unproven talent and it would have taken serious guts for any coach to inject him in that game because if he didn't perform the the coach would have been blamed. Please don't believe what any premier league fan says they change like the weather one minute they love u the next u are Brown Ideye, I think Pellegrini wants to avoid that with Iheanacho by playing him when he is sure he will perform. I also loved Pellegrini saying he is not a striker because Aguero is in another world and should be there for a while, to be sincere if he stays a striker he won't play.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 11:09am On Nov 10, 2015
Icon4s:

All these English tutored averagely talented players playing in lower leagues sef. Well hu knows? After all Dele Alli and Victor Moses started from championship sides.

Am very happy @ the bolded. I also know that you know too well that Obagoal played for this same Club.

The English Championship is far better than Nigerian League whose players for now dominate the Olympic team of Nigeria.

In that same match against Nuneaton Town's Theo Street, Birmingham City youngster Viv Solomon-Otabor showed confidence, pace and strength to go past defenders

'Putting Solomon-Otabor’s performance against the Gils in context it should be noted he was up against a beaten team and finding space in a game that was breaking up'-Rowett’s.

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by thegoodjoehunt3(m): 11:16am On Nov 10, 2015
BascoVanVeli:

Pellegrini is a player's manager and not playing Delph upon his return to Villa would have been wrong, Iheanacho is not the only player he has to take care of. So like i said he at least played and he also created a great chance. We all know and love what Iheanacho has to offer but please remember in England he is a bright but unproven talent and it would have taken serious guts for any coach to inject him in that game because if he didn't perform the the coach would have been blamed. Please don't believe what any premier league fan says they change like the weather one minute they love u the next u are Brown Ideye, I think Pellegrini wants to avoid that with Iheanacho by playing him when he is sure he will perform. I also loved Pellegrini saying he is not a striker because Aguero is in another world and should be there for a while, to be sincere if he stays a striker he won't play.

There are other games to give Delph playing time. We needed to win the game and we did not have a striker on the pitch. Pellegrini chose to rotate Sterling and Be Bruyne upfront and they were wasteful.

So why did he choose to play Delph at the time we needed a goal and chose to remove a proven goal scorer/creator in the sauad Yaya Toure.

The only striker on the bench was Nacho. With Aguero and Bony out. Logically, bringing Delph in was not going to vie us a goal.

I repeat, I respect the man so much but if he continues this ridiculous stuff, then there is no need keeping promising talents in the club. We must not raise stars. They should sack the coaches in the campus and stick to ready made players.

As for the fans, they are confused when the manager says Nacho can not play in the box after the young man showed brilliant movement in the box to win the game for Man city against Crystal Palace.

(1) (2) (3) ... (84) (85) (86) (87) (88) (89) (90) ... (341) (Reply)

Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread / The NBA Begins / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 154
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.