Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,107 members, 7,814,884 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:04 PM

Court Upholds Ban On Use Of Hijab In Lagos Public Schools - Education (19) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Court Upholds Ban On Use Of Hijab In Lagos Public Schools (52440 Views)

Five Things About Students Who Attend Public Schools. / Public Schools Back In Those Days (Your Experiences) / Privatize Public Schools And Distribute Their Shares To The Masses (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Court Upholds Ban On Use Of Hijab In Lagos Public Schools by texanomaly(f): 10:07pm On Oct 20, 2014
mrofficial:
I hope the bigots on Nairaland will read this and do something that will alleviate Nigeria from her state and not this Hijab nonsense that they are trying to impose to our public schools.

When broadcasting of miracles on our local TVs was banned, the Christians didn't take the decision to court. It's a thing of common sense.

They should appeal. I'm sure they will lose over and over. No patriotic and sensible person should carry religion on his/her head. People who put religion on their heads are part of the problems in Nigeria today.

Do you wear a cross?
Re: Court Upholds Ban On Use Of Hijab In Lagos Public Schools by texanomaly(f): 10:08pm On Oct 20, 2014
This is the beginning of the end of God in school. If the government can stop one group from having the right to live their beliefs, what's next? Is a cross around ones neck a part of the school uniform? If not, it should not be allowed.

Is teaching from a biblical point of view a secular practice? Is prayer a secular practice. From what I understand these things are happening daily in Nigerian schools. Even at University. If Christians start this, they will live to regret it when God is removed from any part of school.

If the government is allowed to say "no hijab" what will be next...Crosses, prayers, Bibles, speaking about God?

Where does censorship end...When no one has any rights and politicians are the only ones satisfied.

3 Likes

Re: Court Upholds Ban On Use Of Hijab In Lagos Public Schools by Nobody: 10:22pm On Oct 20, 2014
texanomaly:
This is the beginning of the end of God in school. If the government can stop one group from having the right to live their beliefs, what's next? Is a cross around ones neck a part of the school uniform? If not, it should not be allowed.

Is teaching from a biblical point of view a secular practice? Is prayer a secular practice. From what I understand these things are happening daily in Nigerian schools. Even at University. If Christians start this, they will live to regret it when God is removed from any part of school.

If the government is allowed to say "no hijab" what will be next...Crosses, prayers, Bibles, speaking about God?

Where does censorship end...When no one has any rights and politicians are the only ones satisfied.

It won't happen. Christians have the power in Nigeria, despite being the demographic minority.

1 Like

Re: Court Upholds Ban On Use Of Hijab In Lagos Public Schools by texanomaly(f): 10:30pm On Oct 20, 2014
MissMeiya:

It won't happen. Christians have the power in Nigeria, despite being the demographic minority.

In other words, Nigeria is not a republic. It is a Christian dictatorship...a "Christian State"?
Re: Court Upholds Ban On Use Of Hijab In Lagos Public Schools by Nobody: 10:31pm On Oct 20, 2014
MissMeiya:

Demographic minority according to cooked population censuses.

Bottom line we don't know for sure because no credible census has been held.

1 Like

Re: Court Upholds Ban On Use Of Hijab In Lagos Public Schools by Nobody: 10:32pm On Oct 20, 2014
ebdib:

Demographic minority according to cooked population censuses.

Bottom line we don't know for sure because no credible census has been held.

Yeah, Ok. Christians are very obviously the minority.
Re: Court Upholds Ban On Use Of Hijab In Lagos Public Schools by Nobody: 10:33pm On Oct 20, 2014
texanomaly:

In other words, Nigeria is not a republic. It is a Christian dictatorship...a "Christian State"?

I have no idea what form of government Nigeria practices, but it's definitely a Christian one.
Re: Court Upholds Ban On Use Of Hijab In Lagos Public Schools by texanomaly(f): 10:37pm On Oct 20, 2014
MissMeiya:

I have no idea what form of government Nigeria practices, but it's definitely a Christian one.

smh...This is the future of Nigeria? She doesn't even know the type of government practiced by her country. God help Nigeria!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Court Upholds Ban On Use Of Hijab In Lagos Public Schools by Nobody: 10:41pm On Oct 20, 2014
texanomaly:

smh...This is the future of Nigeria? She doesn't even know the type of government practiced by her country. God help Nigeria!

Theory and practice are two different things, my dear. You wouldn't expect government censorship by seizing newspapers and fining television stations in a democracy, would you? But there you have it.
Re: Court Upholds Ban On Use Of Hijab In Lagos Public Schools by millionaireman: 11:04pm On Oct 20, 2014
You have been making wrong assertions all the way. Nigeria is neither a Christian nor a Muslim country. Christians and Muslims in Nigeria: no body knows which group is larger in population. The present govt in Nigeria does not clamp down on the press, talk less seizing of newspapers or TV stations. Nigeria's Press of today is about the most free in the world. Finally, it is wrong to wear obvious religious outfits on one's body in public schools, more so, in a country with a delicate religious history like Nigeria.
MissMeiya:

Theory and practice are two different things, my dear. You wouldn't expect government censorship by seizing newspapers and fining television stations in a democracy, would you? But there you have it.

1 Like

Re: Court Upholds Ban On Use Of Hijab In Lagos Public Schools by Nobody: 11:58pm On Oct 20, 2014
millionaireman:
You have been making wrong assertions all the way. Nigeria is neither a Christian nor a Muslim country. Christians and Muslims in Nigeria: no body knows which group is larger in population.
50% Muslim, 40% Christian, 10% other.

The present govt in Nigeria does not clamp down on the press, talk less seizing of newspapers or TV stations. Nigeria's Press of today is about the most free in the world.
I guess you haven't been keeping up with the news. It happened this year. The army seized newspapers that were talking about Boko Haram, back when the government was still pretending it wasn't a problem. Unfortunately for them, people started snapping pictures and tweeting them. It hit international news immediately. There are also a few letters floating around the Internet from the Ministry of Information threatening Nigerian media houses if they behave badly. And then, of course, there are the existence of "brown envelopes", the reaction to the CNN candid interview with the Nigerian Minister of Information where the journalist actually dared to ask questions. I'm not sure where you got the ludicrous impression that Nigeria’s press is "the most free in the world". The thought is depressing, more than it is funny, actually. It doesn't take much to google every single thing I mentioned, so please don't bother denying them.

Finally, it is wrong to wear obvious religious outfits on one's body in public schools, more so, in a country with a delicate religious history like Nigeria.
Heaven forbid anyone upset the delicate sensibilities of Nigerian Christians by observing their own faith. With clothing, of all things. It's unconscionable.

1 Like

Re: Court Upholds Ban On Use Of Hijab In Lagos Public Schools by kobonaire(m): 12:27am On Oct 21, 2014
MissMeiya:

50% Muslim, 40% Christian, 10% other.

I guess you haven't been keeping up with the news. It happened this year. The army seized newspapers that were talking about Boko Haram, back when the government was still pretending it wasn't a problem. Unfortunately for them, people started snapping pictures and tweeting them. It hit international news immediately. There are also a few letters floating around the Internet from the Ministry of Information threatening Nigerian media houses if they behave badly. And then, of course, there are the existence of "brown envelopes", the reaction to the CNN candid interview with the Nigerian Minister of Information where the journalist actually dared to ask questions. I'm not sure where you got the ludicrous impression that Nigeria’s press is "the most free in the world". The thought is depressing, more than it is funny, actually. It doesn't take much to google every single thing I mentioned, so please don't bother denying them.

Heaven forbid anyone upset the delicate sensibilities of Nigerian Christians by observing their own faith. It's unconscionable.

Really?? I don't think your figures are correct.
I think it's a rather even split : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_Nigeria
We have also had leaders from both faiths.
Christians in Nigeria have been mostly moderate too.
Re: Court Upholds Ban On Use Of Hijab In Lagos Public Schools by Nobody: 12:30am On Oct 21, 2014
kobonaire:

Really?? I don't think your figures are correct.
I think it's a rather even split : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_Nigeria
We have also had leaders from both faiths.
Christians in Nigeria have been mostly moderate too.

When taking facts from Wikipedia, it's important to note the cited source. When I clicked on the source that cited those numbers, my browser panicked and told me it was an infected site.
Re: Court Upholds Ban On Use Of Hijab In Lagos Public Schools by kobonaire(m): 12:38am On Oct 21, 2014
MissMeiya:

When taking facts from Wikipedia, it's important to note the cited source. When I clicked on the source that cited those numbers, my browser panicked and told me it was an infected site.
Really? That's weird ... the data is from the pew research center and other indexed sources.
Besides, I don't think you posted your source of the 40% Christian population?
Re: Court Upholds Ban On Use Of Hijab In Lagos Public Schools by Nobody: 12:39am On Oct 21, 2014
Overall statistics indicate that about 50% of the population are Muslim, with a majority practicing the Sunni branch of the faith. About 40% are Christian and about 10% practice traditional African religions or no religion at all. Many people include elements of traditional beliefs in their own practice of Christianity or Islam. The Christian community is composed of Roman Catholics (the largest denomination), Methodists, Anglicans, Baptists, Presbyterians, and members of Evangelical and Pentecostal groups.

Well, it didn't surprise me, at any rate. ***
Re: Court Upholds Ban On Use Of Hijab In Lagos Public Schools by Nobody: 12:40am On Oct 21, 2014
kobonaire:
Really? That's weird ... the data is from the pew research center and other indexed sources.

The data is from https://www.nigeriabusinessfile.com/information/people/religion

You can check.
Re: Court Upholds Ban On Use Of Hijab In Lagos Public Schools by kobonaire(m): 12:40am On Oct 21, 2014
MissMeiya:

Well, it didn't surprise me, at any rate. .
You are very blessed and special ...

1 Like

Re: Court Upholds Ban On Use Of Hijab In Lagos Public Schools by Nobody: 12:47am On Oct 21, 2014
kobonaire:

Hey, I took another look at the Wikipedia article and found this:

According to a 2001's report[8] of The World Factbook by CIA, about 50% of Nigeria's population is Muslim, 40% are Christians and 10% adhere to local religions.[9]

And then another search brought me:

Those ethnic groups are further divided along religious lines with 50 percent of the population adhering to Islam, 40 percent to Christianity and 10 percent to indigenous beliefs.

From National Geographic, and more but I'm tired right now. Just Google "Nigeria religion percentage" and look to current and credible sites/articles.
Re: Court Upholds Ban On Use Of Hijab In Lagos Public Schools by Nobody: 12:48am On Oct 21, 2014
kobonaire:

***. #runonsentences
Re: Court Upholds Ban On Use Of Hijab In Lagos Public Schools by kobonaire(m): 12:51am On Oct 21, 2014
MissMeiya:

Hey, I took another look at the Wikipedia article and found this:

According to a 2001's report[8] of The World Factbook by CIA, about 50% of Nigeria's population is Muslim, 40% are Christians and 10% adhere to local religions.[9]

And then another search brought me:

Those ethnic groups are further divided along religious lines with 50 percent of the population adhering to Islam, 40 percent to Christianity and 10 percent to indigenous beliefs.

From National Geographic, and more but I'm tired right now. Just Google "Nigeria religion percentage" and look to current and credible sites/articles.
OK, i'll take your word for it. The north does have a bigger population growth and so it could be as you say.
Re: Court Upholds Ban On Use Of Hijab In Lagos Public Schools by Nobody: 12:52am On Oct 21, 2014
kobonaire:
OK, i'll take your word for it. The north does have a bigger population growth and so it could be as you say.

That's why I figured it made sense. But hey, I don't actually know as much as I think I do, especially about Nigeria. *mopes*
Re: Court Upholds Ban On Use Of Hijab In Lagos Public Schools by kobonaire(m): 12:53am On Oct 21, 2014
MissMeiya:
lol. #runonsentences
pls feel free to hit me up anytime.
Re: Court Upholds Ban On Use Of Hijab In Lagos Public Schools by Nobody: 12:56am On Oct 21, 2014
kobonaire:
*** feel free to hit me up anytime.

Thanks, I will. After I drown my emotions in a very sugary bowl of garri. ***
Re: Court Upholds Ban On Use Of Hijab In Lagos Public Schools by kobonaire(m): 1:03am On Oct 21, 2014
MissMeiya:

Thanks, I will. very sugary bowl of garri. Lol

, please...

But yes, I will
Nice ... Mickey D's McFlurry is my choice ...
Re: Court Upholds Ban On Use Of Hijab In Lagos Public Schools by Nobody: 1:09am On Oct 21, 2014
kobonaire:
Nice ... Mickey D's McFlurry is my choice ...

Me too! With M&Ms. And a very large container of hot and salty fries smiley
Re: Court Upholds Ban On Use Of Hijab In Lagos Public Schools by kobonaire(m): 1:31am On Oct 21, 2014
MissMeiya:

Me too! With M&Ms. And a very large container of hot and salty fries smiley
Their fries are the best ..... btw, I edited some of our prior posts/quotes as there are some twerps here that tend to misuse personal info for mischief ....
Re: Court Upholds Ban On Use Of Hijab In Lagos Public Schools by Nobody: 3:15am On Oct 21, 2014
kobonaire:

Their fries are the best ..... btw, I edited some of our prior posts/quotes as there are some twerps here that tend to misuse personal info for mischief ....

Gotcha. Followed your lead

1 Like

Re: Court Upholds Ban On Use Of Hijab In Lagos Public Schools by Nobody: 4:23am On Oct 22, 2014
voltron:

Oooh but religion can contravene constitution because Allah owns the world right
Yeah, Allah owns the world but religion can't contravene constitution because the constitution already took care of religion !!

''there is always sensible answer for senseless questions'' !!!
Re: Court Upholds Ban On Use Of Hijab In Lagos Public Schools by Nobody: 4:30am On Oct 22, 2014
LordReed:

I have a question for you, in Atlantic Hall, Corona, and other "posh" schools do female Muslim students and pupils wear hijab?
slave mentality is what you are displaying here .... The US just removed ''so help me God'' as a clause from their declaration of absolute allegiance to the country while they are doing that they didn't recourse to Nigerian constitution which allowed ''so help me God'' as a clause while declaring absolute allegiance to Nigeria !!

We are discussing Nigerian Law not US law so get it straight bro and free yourself from colonialism .... It ended in 1960 - more than 50years ago !!
Re: Court Upholds Ban On Use Of Hijab In Lagos Public Schools by LordReed(m): 7:07am On Oct 22, 2014
donroxy:
slave mentality is what you are displaying here .... The US just removed ''so help me God'' as a clause from their declaration of absolute allegiance to the country while they are doing that they didn't recourse to Nigerian constitution which allowed ''so help me God'' as a clause while declaring absolute allegiance to Nigeria !!

We are discussing Nigerian Law not US law so get it straight bro and free yourself from colonialism .... It ended in 1960 - more than 50years ago !!

Is Atlantic Hall and Corona in the US? What brings US into this? These are Nigerian schools, if you don't know them say so don't bring irrelevant issues.
Re: Court Upholds Ban On Use Of Hijab In Lagos Public Schools by Nobody: 9:46am On Oct 22, 2014
LordReed:
Is Atlantic Hall and Corona in the US? What brings US into this? These are Nigerian schools, if you don't know them say so don't bring irrelevant issues.
Apology , I think they are in the US .... By the time the court declared barring Hijab illegal your atlantic hall and corona would also have to comply else they would violating the law of Nigeria ..... Let's wait and see what the Appeal would declare !!

Apology for blasting you once again ... I'm so sorry !!
Re: Court Upholds Ban On Use Of Hijab In Lagos Public Schools by Nobody: 10:06am On Oct 22, 2014
donroxy:
Yeah, Allah owns the world but religion can't contravene constitution because the constitution already took care of religion !!

''there is always sensible answer for senseless questions'' !!!

and there will be cutting of hands and public lashings grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (Reply)

German University Students Turn Blue, Police Suspect Poisoning / A "Certified" Teacher Was Teaching Children Nonsense (pic) / Which Nigerian University Still Teaches This Course?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.