Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,484 members, 7,836,890 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 02:06 PM

Making It An Offence To Insult Government Officials - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Making It An Offence To Insult Government Officials (15068 Views)

Osun Government Officials Kidnapped In Lokoja / APC Warns Against Insulting Buhari, Government Officials - Premiumtimes / When Did Using A Phone In A Military Checkpoint Become An Offence. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Go Down)

Re: Making It An Offence To Insult Government Officials by thunderrider: 4:42pm On Oct 21, 2014
thunderrider:

There is freedom of speech alright

but FREEDOM after SPEECH might not be guaranteed!!!

grin grin grin
Re: Making It An Offence To Insult Government Officials by UnknownT: 4:42pm On Oct 21, 2014
barcanista:
Nothing Special but we are in election period, there is a battle to win public opinion. The PDP wants you to quit NL till after the election. Personally, I will consider my continuous membership of Nairaland after the 2015 election and swearing-in of Buhari
LOL! But you should be here to be defending his administration, just like some Pro GEJ monikers are doing now?
Re: Making It An Offence To Insult Government Officials by Lucasbalo(m): 4:43pm On Oct 21, 2014
Seun:
Hello,

I'm working on a modification to our rules that will make it an offence to disrespect government officials and call them derogatory names on Nairaland. The objective is to prepare Nairaland for a time when the Nigerian Government may not be able to tolerate such things. Currently it's against our rules to deliberately insult a Nairaland member, so we will just be extending this rule to make it cover government officials too.

What are your comments on this? I promise to read all your comments, though I can't promise to reply all of them, of course.

Thanks!
Seun, am surprised you stooping this low in defending this inept leadership running the country down. You have to see the kind of critisism Obama goes through here including all kind of names he gets called. One thing you have to understand is that the leadership works for the people hence it is called Goverment of the people . Critiquing your government is the highest form of patriotism. Maybe , you like dictatorship .

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Making It An Offence To Insult Government Officials by UnknownT: 4:43pm On Oct 21, 2014
KingTom:

And come back as knownS
Lol! Go joor
Re: Making It An Offence To Insult Government Officials by brownlord: 4:43pm On Oct 21, 2014
jaymichael:
Abio! insult is when you call someone what he is not, like calling Jonathan honest is one of the biggest insult there is.

Learn how to criticize without insult, if you can't take a break and go to romance section

1 Like

Re: Making It An Offence To Insult Government Officials by Nobody: 4:43pm On Oct 21, 2014
gboss4sure:

Freedom Of Speech doesn't empower you to insult and call anyone derogatory names

Actually, it does. Do you not understand the concept of freedom of speech?

4 Likes

Re: Making It An Offence To Insult Government Officials by Nobody: 4:44pm On Oct 21, 2014
UnknownT:
LOL! But you should be here to be defending his administration, just like some Pro GEJ monikers are doing now?
That is if the admin use his brain grin grin
Re: Making It An Offence To Insult Government Officials by Nobody: 4:44pm On Oct 21, 2014
The constitution of the FRN is bigger than any law and it allows freedom of expression
NL should allow Nigeria express themselves abt Govt officials either elected/appiont
Seun u want to protect Gej and theives in his Govt with these suppose new rule

1 Like

You're "developing" a stereotype for yourself. The other day, Islamic injunctions were forcibly embossed on profile of non-muslims, and all efforts to discuss it were rendered null by you. You might be a fine liberal-minded folk, but when articles calling you a fanatics surface in future, you have yourself to blame.

Today again, your aim is to advance a pretext to banning free speech. You want to ban insults? What's an insult? Is it really an insult to call someone who behaves foolishly a fool? Or a president who is notorious for policy somersaults clueless? Or someone who says "stealing is not corruption" intellectually lazy which is an euphemism for being daft? You can censure some words you consider offensive but it's yet to be seen how you ban "insults" without strangling free speech.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Making It An Offence To Insult Government Officials by Omimah: 4:45pm On Oct 21, 2014
Something tells me Seun is being pressurized by the FG.

2 Likes

Re: Making It An Offence To Insult Government Officials by Nobody: 4:45pm On Oct 21, 2014
MissMeiya:

Actually, it does. Do you not understand the concept of freedom of speech?
Sycophancy reign supreme in some people's mind

1 Like

Re: Making It An Offence To Insult Government Officials by brownlord: 4:46pm On Oct 21, 2014
Lucasbalo:
Seun, am surprised you stooping this low in defending this inept leadership running the country down. You have to see the kind of critisism Obama goes through here including all kind of names he gets called. One thing you have to understand is that the leadership works for the people hence it is called Goverment of the people . Critiquing your government is the highest form of patriotism. Maybe , you like dictatorship .

How did he support/defend any govt. he's defending his business and not govt. don't you get it, if they shut down the site, shei na you go employ am?

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Making It An Offence To Insult Government Officials by jaymichael(m): 4:46pm On Oct 21, 2014
brownlord:

Learn how to criticize without insult, if you can't take a break and go to romance section
you too come? i don see you.
Re: Making It An Offence To Insult Government Officials by KingTom(m): 4:47pm On Oct 21, 2014
UnknownT:
Lol! Go joor
Hmmm well okay I have gone
Re: Making It An Offence To Insult Government Officials by Nobody: 4:47pm On Oct 21, 2014
barcanista:
Sycophancy reign supreme in some people's mind

There needs to be a mandatory, country-wide re-education on Nigerian citizen rights.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Making It An Offence To Insult Government Officials by Nobody: 4:47pm On Oct 21, 2014
It's not even possible,Mr seun people would always insult especially on nairaland because no one is in contact with dem to shut dem up with beating. Nairaland is a place Where cowards gives demselves some false sense of courage,So doing So,would only remove that privilege, If They are cowards in real life let dem Av some false courage on nairaland as already displayed here by some people here insulting u d way Dey would NEVER do in real life.
Re: Making It An Offence To Insult Government Officials by MadCow1: 4:47pm On Oct 21, 2014
Seun:
Hello,

I'm working on a modification to our rules that will make it an offence to disrespect government officials and call them derogatory names on Nairaland. The objective is to prepare Nairaland for a time when the Nigerian Government may not be able to tolerate such things. Currently it's against our rules to deliberately insult a Nairaland member, so we will just be extending this rule to make it cover government officials too.

What are your comments on this? I promise to read all your comments, though I can't promise to reply all of them, of course.

Thanks!

[b]Dear Seun..

The traits of a good Leader is one who can take the good and the bad at the same time without buckling under pressure..

So unless you intend to make nairaland into a Dictatorship type rule where people cant be free, then go ahead..

If I feel My president is an autistic slowpoke, I should feel free to call him one. If he does not want to be insulted, then he shouldnt be at the helms of affairs. So what happens if a Foreign leader calls him a fhucktard? would he go to war with that nation?! Obama has been called all sorts of names.. Have you watched shows like: The Daily Show with Jon Stewart and The Colbert Report? have you heard some of the names they call President Obama?! And those shows and broadcast live.

This rule is pointless.. You need to ease off with the so many restriction lest you fall into the same confusion the Nigerian legal system currently finds itself in today where for example: Its is an offence to discriminate against any Nigerian for circumstances of their birth, religion, e.t.c but its okay to Jail Nigerians for being homosexuals.. or like we have freedom of expression of religion and co but its an offence to wear your hijab to school in lagos. grin

Na too much spice dey spoil soup.

Seun, you should be a part of the type of Nation we want.. If you encourage this type of restriction, soon a Politician would take it up and implement it.[/b]

16 Likes 4 Shares

Omimah:
Something tells me Seun is being pressurized by the FG.
Whatever that is pressuring him is his cup of tea

1 Like

Re: Making It An Offence To Insult Government Officials by uzolexis(f): 4:48pm On Oct 21, 2014
K
Re: Making It An Offence To Insult Government Officials by Nobody: 4:48pm On Oct 21, 2014
barcanista:
Mr. Seun you are a pitiable person. I expect that you would have done some sober reflection by this time. Is it because we call Jonathan Mr. Clueless and the PDP a Killer Party that you want to Gag our views? Do not use your own hand to ruin ayour forum-It is just a brotherly and friendly advise.

RUBBISSSSSSHHHHHH

PS: This is in contravention to the African Charter on Human Right which deals with FREEDOM OF SPEECH and the 1999
Constitution of Nigeria.
All I see is an attempt to Gag Nldrs from calling the names Jonathan,abba slowpoke,liebaran

2 Likes

Re: Making It An Offence To Insult Government Officials by PassingShot(m): 4:49pm On Oct 21, 2014
Seun:
Hello,

Thanks!

You make me laugh Seun.

Can you tell me what is deserving of shameless, incompetent government officials who steal and loot our common wealth and then rub it in our face other than to insult them?

Actually the better option will be to stone them if given the chance.

You better not try that stunt. A word is enough for the wise.

4 Likes

Re: Making It An Offence To Insult Government Officials by Omimah: 4:49pm On Oct 21, 2014
Seun, if you do this, it will definitely lead to confusion among the moderators.
Re: Making It An Offence To Insult Government Officials by Nobody: 4:49pm On Oct 21, 2014
brownlord:

How did he support/defend any govt. he's defending his business and not govt. don't you get it, if they shut down the site, shei na you go employ am?

Please, how will they shut down the site. Neither the servers, nor the domain name is hosted or registered with any Nigerian company. And in order to request a foreign company to disable his account, they need to show that the site is breaking Nigerian law.

So, explain, how "they" are going to shut down Nairaland.

2 Likes

Re: Making It An Offence To Insult Government Officials by KingTom(m): 4:49pm On Oct 21, 2014
Seun shey na you and Awon boys dey shout till 2019. Now they are pressurizing you, this Govt is beconing tyranical o hmmmm

2 Likes

Re: Making It An Offence To Insult Government Officials by Blakyclyde(m): 4:50pm On Oct 21, 2014
Panshow:
Pls don't do that. If the government are doing what they're suppose to do, no body will insult them.

Says who?
Even Jesus Christ has enemies. Jose Mourinho said it.
No matter how good you are, critics would always ask for yourself.
Winston Chuchill said: ''having enemies means you stood up for something''.

When I read the comments made thus far, I just shook my head and smiled.
People demand freedom of speech as compensation for freedom of thought which they rarely use.

#eNOUGHSAID.

1 Like

Re: Making It An Offence To Insult Government Officials by Nobody: 4:50pm On Oct 21, 2014
MissMeiya:

There needs to be a mandatory, country-wide re-education on Nigerian citizen rights.
This is one of my plans for this country in the very near future. Our people need reorientation and to understand their rights and privileges in a democracy

2 Likes

Re: Making It An Offence To Insult Government Officials by Nobody: 4:51pm On Oct 21, 2014
barcanista:
Mr. Seun you are a pitiable person. I expect that you would have done some sober reflection by this time. Is it because we call Jonathan Mr. Clueless and the PDP a Killer Party that you want to Gag our views? Do not use your own hand to ruin ayour forum-It is just a brotherly and friendly advise.

RUBBISSSSSSHHHHHH

PS: This is in contravention to the African Charter on Human Right which deals with FREEDOM OF SPEECH and the 1999
Constitution of Nigeria.
All I see is an attempt to Gag Nldrs from calling the names Jonathan,abba slowpoke,liebaran*

1 Like

Re: Making It An Offence To Insult Government Officials by Nobody: 4:52pm On Oct 21, 2014
Ibnsultan:

All I see is an attempt to Gag Nldrs from calling the names Jonathan,abba slowpoke,liebaran
but it shall be resisted by us all
Re: Making It An Offence To Insult Government Officials by Nobody: 4:52pm On Oct 21, 2014
barcanista:
This is one of my plans for this country in the very near future. Our people need reorientation and to understand their rights and privileges in a democracy

I want to be on your team.
Re: Making It An Offence To Insult Government Officials by armadeo(m): 4:52pm On Oct 21, 2014
politricks:
pls do that because the amount of insults,hatred e.t.c is getting too much.But this should not be about only government officials,it should be about everybody.Why am saying this is because Buhari and co are not government officials.

What about the offence by govt officials when they insult us. Or is it only posts here that matter?

1 Like

Re: Making It An Offence To Insult Government Officials by brownlord: 4:52pm On Oct 21, 2014
MissMeiya:

Please, how will they shut down the site. Neither the servers, nor the domain name is hosted or registered with any Nigerian company. And in order to request a foreign company to disable his account, they need to show that the site is breaking Nigerian law.

So, explain, how "they" are going to shut down Nairaland.

twitter is not accessible in some countries, except you need to use an ip blocker, guess you know that? if that happen to nairaland, 90 percent of the member's don't know what an ip blocker is
Re: Making It An Offence To Insult Government Officials by Nobody: 4:53pm On Oct 21, 2014
MissMeiya:

I want to be on your team.
of course, you are welcome on board.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9)

McDonald Obasuke Disrupts Obaseki's Campaign With Thugs (photos / Details of President Buhari's investment meeting with Japan Bank, Toyota emerges / Fayose To Appoint Stomach Infrastructure Minister If Elected As President

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.