Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,846 members, 7,810,258 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:13 AM

Understanding The Concept of Tithing - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Understanding The Concept of Tithing (37051 Views)

The Law Of Tithing, Does It Really Work For You? / Testimonies On Why We Stopped Tithing Here / How To Reap The Full Benefits Of Tithing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Understanding The Concept of Tithing by texazzpete(m): 8:27am On Nov 02, 2014
EdDave:
Ever since I started tithing, my life changed.
And while I advise people to pay theirs, I would not insist.
Everyone has their lives to live.
To your tent , O Israel.

Your life would change more if you gave that money to the poor and needy like Jesus commanded.

12 Likes

Re: Understanding The Concept of Tithing by fyneboi79(m): 8:30am On Nov 02, 2014
EdDave:
Ever since I started tithing, my life changed.
And while I advise people to pay theirs, I would not insist.
Everyone has their lives to live.
To your tent , O Israel.
‎u don see person wey him life never change for the better ni?I acknowledge God as d Supreme head and Christ d saviour of mankind,I give alms to d weak and down trodden,but tithe to d pastor.... no way cos I also aspire to own a jet.Let him go and hustle.
Givers never lack. You tithe-give. I help d needy-give

Just that lots of ‎u give to a particular man who has enough to buy a jet while ‎u trek grin

11 Likes

Re: Understanding The Concept of Tithing by Aringon(m): 8:36am On Nov 02, 2014
jdilight:

You did not read my post if not you will not ask the first question.

Abraham gave his increase (which was the spoil of war) as at the time he met the priest. God for bids war now so your increase from war now is against Gods principle.

Tithe has been in existence before the law, for the law came by Moses who came years after Abraham and Jacob who had already paid tithe.

Any christian that has benefitted immensely from God for paying his or her tithe will continue to pay tithe. Those that say the Pastors are stealing from christians shouls stay clear of paying it.
U r hanging on to the grace of God? Bible says " shall we continue in sin so that grace may abound?"
Tithe is use for the expansion of the work of God , paying salaries of Pastors, drummers,church administrators etc
Nobody is forcing u to pay tithe biko, when u pay ur tithe n turn around to seek what the money has been used for, my friend you won't benefit from that
Re: Understanding The Concept of Tithing by duni04(m): 8:38am On Nov 02, 2014
Whenever dubious pastors want to justify tithing, they go back to the old testament laws that God gave the israelites. If its true that christians must tithe in accordance with the old testament, then we should also stone women who commit adultery cos that's what the old testament says. We don't live by those laws again so tithing is not compulsary.

11 Likes

Re: Understanding The Concept of Tithing by fyneboi79(m): 8:42am On Nov 02, 2014
Aringon:

Any christian that has benefitted immensely from God for paying his or her tithe will continue to pay tithe. Those that say the Pastors are stealing from christians shouls stay clear of paying it.
U r hanging on to the grace of God? Bible says " shall we continue in sin so that grace may abound?"
Tithe is use for the expansion of the work of God , paying salaries of Pastors, drummers,church administrators etc
Nobody is forcing u to pay tithe biko, when u pay ur tithe n turn around to seek what the money has been used for, my friend you won't benefit from that
have ‎u asked urself why a pastor would have customised cars,jets and live an exorbitant lifestyle with tithe money while some members of his church are in abject poverty.
1.How many customised donkeys did Christ have?
2.Was Christ ever mentioned in d Bible to own anything of value?
3.Was Christ ever mentioned in d Bible to seek pleasures of dis world?
Just bury ur head in d sand."Pastor said dis"Pastor said that".

12 Likes

Re: Understanding The Concept of Tithing by Peter262: 8:46am On Nov 02, 2014
Any person that says tithing is unchristian is an advocate of the devil. Pastors are not 9 to 5 workers, they got bills to pay, from wia do u expect them to get money? God is watching

2 Likes

Re: Understanding The Concept of Tithing by Landflight4eva(m): 8:46am On Nov 02, 2014
I like d way u started by referring to mechisedek the high priest.of interest here is that d person who collected tithe first was a priest of unknown genealogy.in law of moses those authorize too were d priest from d tribe Levi...not king,Judges,chieftain,nor any prominent personnel were given chances to to receive tithe.
d tribe of Levi did have a share of land from d promised land other tribes did have shares but not Levi.
another fact is that this tribe of Levi does no other task,profession or job apart from temple services l.e they can't run businesses,become doctor,warriors,king, and none of their children can't go for training apart from temple services training'
since today we don't need a human high priest because Jesus is our spiritual high priest in d manner of Melchizedek,
and much more today those who collect tithe runs private business,their children took up best university and proffesion being financed by d tithe of pastor followers .we don't have a earthly temple where there are holy place and most holy place again in which d high priest enter once in. a year because Christ has become d end of d law convenant

3 Likes

Re: Understanding The Concept of Tithing by seagullbabz(m): 8:47am On Nov 02, 2014
In as much as I do not like talking about religion, I will just have to chip in. Like I always tell people, go with your heart, and your belief... if you do not believe in tithes, then do not pay, I believe no one can be forced to do what they don't want to do... I will just advise against blasphemies and running of mouths anyhow. I believe whatever it is you put your faith in will work for you. I tithe, and ever since I started, a lot of things have worked for me, that's not to say there won't be challenges, or that everything will always be fine. If you believe giving a tenth of your possession to the needy is what works for you, please go ahead. I am a giver as well. I do not concern myself with which pastor uses a private jet or a private space ship. I am sure not paying my tithe would not make them go broke. What I focus on is me, I want to be rich, and I am not concerned with how someone else makes his riches....i have seen people who place their beliefs in works of arts or sculptures, and they say it has worked for them. religion is a place where anything shouldn't be forced on anyone.... just do what you think is best for you and works for you. whatever you put your faith in, will surely work for you.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Understanding The Concept of Tithing by dein77(m): 8:50am On Nov 02, 2014
I thank God I have the Bible, not a pastor, for a guide. This tithe matter is clear in Scriptures. People are simply too lazy to search the Scriptures. As long as Jesus, Apostle Paul, Peter, James and others didn't advocate tithing, I place no value on it.

Whoever wants to continue paying their tithes can continue to do. But let them know there is no curse on whoever doesn't tithe. Tithe isn't among the weightier matters of the law.

Today na Sunday. I rest my case.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Understanding The Concept of Tithing by fyneboi79(m): 8:51am On Nov 02, 2014
Peter262:
Any person that says tithing is unchristian is an advocate of the devil. Pastors are not 9 to 5 workers, they got bills to pay, from wia do u expect them to get money? God is watching
Rubbish!! What a wasted post
1.Is owning a Jet a necessity?
2.Is buying a customised bulletproof car a necessity?

3 Likes

Re: Understanding The Concept of Tithing by fr3do(m): 8:53am On Nov 02, 2014
jdilight:
Sorry I was not true with mine write up, I had to attend to some business transaction.

grin transactions like cashing tithes.

5 Likes

Re: Understanding The Concept of Tithing by CuppyCakie: 8:54am On Nov 02, 2014
ok

Re: Understanding The Concept of Tithing by Youngzedd(m): 8:59am On Nov 02, 2014
WinsomeX:
So we should tithe because Abraham tithed. But Abraham did a lot more things that are not binding on Christians today.

Abraham circumcised his sons. Christians are not bound to be circumcised today. Acts 15, Galatians 5.

Abraham offered burnt offerings. No Christian
does that today.

Abraham was polygamous. Christians are not.

Abraham fought wars. Christians do not necessarily fight wars.

And, lastly here, Abraham gave a tithe once from war spoils. Should Christians do the same?

As for Jesus fulfilling the law. If the law is fulfilled, what is left to be done in it? Why would Christ fulfill all the law and leave only that of tithing for Christians to fulfill?

Please attempt my questions.

You nailed it.

6 Likes

Re: Understanding The Concept of Tithing by Ibime(m): 9:00am On Nov 02, 2014
jdilight:

Never in the history of the church has the church of God had such prosperity as it is now. This is because, they have discovered the blue print of heaven open window. I see an uprising trying to reverse history and put the church in bondage again. Some of these people are doing this in ignorance while some knowingly.

Nonsense.

The church was way richer than now in medieval times when church and state were intertwined. From England to Spain to France, the Church controlled a seat of power and was flush with gold.

6 Likes

Re: Understanding The Concept of Tithing by Nobody: 9:01am On Nov 02, 2014
Can someone just give me 3 new testament scriptures to support this....abi
Re: Understanding The Concept of Tithing by Youngzedd(m): 9:01am On Nov 02, 2014
Odikwa very risky.
Re: Understanding The Concept of Tithing by Nobody: 9:05am On Nov 02, 2014
jdilight:

Will answer you later, I have to go home now. Thank you.

You never reach home since 31st? Answer the question jare

6 Likes

Re: Understanding The Concept of Tithing by cole265(m): 9:08am On Nov 02, 2014
Non of the posts has convincing biblical establishment of tithing. But that is not the problem.
I will support giving to the church and contributions of all kinds and support for the church. But the abuse and twisting that fraudster church leaders have adopted to extort and impoverish their congregation, especially through tithe, is discouraging.
The tithe collected, we all no, obviously, in most cases is for the personal use and flamboyant living of the pastors, not for the Propergating of the gospel as they claim.
How do you explain numerous private jets, private security agents, fleet of exotic cars, jeep. So sad.

7 Likes

Re: Understanding The Concept of Tithing by Maxwell86(m): 9:08am On Nov 02, 2014
Stop telling me what your Pastor said.... I need to hear what Jesus said......

10 Likes

Re: Understanding The Concept of Tithing by fyneboi79(m): 9:19am On Nov 02, 2014
Maxwell86:

May ur days on this earth be long and fruitful!
I rest my case grin

10000000000000000 Likes

7 Likes

Re: Understanding The Concept of Tithing by vacanci: 9:21am On Nov 02, 2014
Poster, why are u not talking about the part of the bible below. U choose the one that favour u as a pastor and leave all other laws.

Deuteronomy 14:22-29 Put on one side a tenth of all the increase of your seed, produced year by year.
And make a feast before the Lord your God, in the place which is to be marked out, where his name will be for ever, of the tenth part of your grain and your wine and your oil, and the first births of your herds and your flocks; so that you may have the fear of the Lord your God in your hearts at all times.
And if the way is so long that you are not able to take these things to the place marked out by the Lord your God for his name, when he has given you his blessing, because it is far away from you;
Then let these things be exchanged for money, and, taking the money in your hand, go to the place marked out by the Lord your God for himself;
And with the money get whatever you have a desire for, oxen or sheep or wine or strong drink, whatever your soul's desire may be: and make a feast there before the Lord your God, and be glad, you and all your house;
And give a thought to the Levite who is living among you, for he has no part or heritage in the land.
At the end of every three years take a tenth part of all your increase for that year, and put it in store inside your walls:
And the Levite, because he has no part or heritage in the land, and the man from a strange country, and the child who has no father, and the widow, who are living among you, will come and take food and have enough; and so the blessing of the Lord your God will be on you in everything you do.

4 Likes

Re: Understanding The Concept of Tithing by Nostradamus: 9:23am On Nov 02, 2014
I don't care what anybody has to say,all I know is tithe is very good in the life of every christans ,I too do pay my tithe(though only when I come across 'awoof' money;as I am always greedy to part with a dime from my own money,am begging the holy spirit to help me stop this spirit of greed)my fellow brethren I want to make a plead 'please always pay your tithe regularly' it provoke God to bless you abundantly
Re: Understanding The Concept of Tithing by duni04(m): 9:24am On Nov 02, 2014
Maxwell86:

No mind those criminals

4 Likes

Re: Understanding The Concept of Tithing by fr3do(m): 9:30am On Nov 02, 2014
Liekiller:
Let me make a suggestion: use your heart and common sense. Maybe also ask yourself what Jesus would have done. Conlusion: pay school fees for a poor kid instead of making a scam pastor richer. Bring your Xmas goat to a poor family instead of to a rich pastor. Help the homeless get a home instead of financing yet another private jet for a scam pastor. Wouldn't that be the true Christian spirit?!??

My sister may God replenish you a thousand and one fold, you are making complete sense.

7 Likes

Re: Understanding The Concept of Tithing by mediachirps(m): 9:34am On Nov 02, 2014
Is either you don't understand the English language used in the translation of the Bible or the Bible its self. Yes, you might be able to write and read fluently, yet could not understand properly.
Re: Understanding The Concept of Tithing by Jayne2014(f): 9:35am On Nov 02, 2014

Thankfully, Jewish theologians know better
than their Christian counterparts. They are
well aware that only Levites have the right to
receive tithe of the people. After all, the
Jewish leaders have the Old Testament as
their Scripture and that’s what it commands.
And since there is no Temple in existence
(and consequently no ordained Levites or
Priests serving in a Temple), then a major
factor in fulfilling the laws of tithing does
not exist in our modern world.
In regard to this, it may be profitable to
relate an event that happened to me over
thirty–five years ago when I was just
starting to study theology in college. A letter
had been given to me for answering. It was
from a woman who heard that modern Jews
were not tithing. She wanted to know
whether the information was true, and if so,
why the Jews seemingly violated the plain
laws of the Bible which spoke of tithing as a
law to be obeyed?
Having read the letter, I began to share her
concern. To resolve the matter I telephoned
three rabbis in the Los Angeles area for their
explanation. Much to my dismay, all three
independently of each other informed me
that no religious Jew should tithe today. I
was startled at their replies. This appeared
to be evidence that the Jews were so lax
with their biblical interpretation that they
were abandoning even the simple words of
their own Scripture about the laws of
tithing.
By the time I spoke with the last rabbi, my
youthful indignation was beginning to
emerge. But that rabbi then wisely began to
show me my ignorance (not his) in the
whole matter. First, he admitted that none of
his congregation paid one penny of tithe
that was demanded in the Old Testament.
He then said: "If any member of my
synagogue paid tithe in the scriptural
manner, he would be disobeying the law of
God—he would be sinning against God."
I was staggered by his answer. He went on
to inform me that since the Bible demands
that the tithe be paid to Levites, he said it
would be wrong to pay it to anyone else.
And further, because there is presently no
official Levitical order of Priests ministering
at a Temple in Jerusalem, this makes it
illegal at this period to pay any biblical tithe.
He went on to say, however, that the
moment a Temple is rebuilt, with its altar in
operation and with the priesthood officiating
at that altar (and the Levites there to assist
them), then every Jew who lives in the
tithing zones mentioned in the Bible will be
required to tithe according to the biblical
commands.
This teaching was a revelation to me (as it
may be to some of our readers), but the
rabbi gave the proper biblical answers. To
pay the biblical tithe at this time, without
Levites and Priests in their regular ordained
offices and doing service in the Temple,
would be "sin" both to the giver and the
receiver. The rabbi told me: "If we are to
obey the law, we cannot pay tithe unless we
pay it to the ones ordained by God to accept
that tithe."
The rabbi explained that though he was the
chief rabbi of his synagogue, he was not a
Levite. He said he was descended from the
tribe of Judah and was thereby not eligible
to receive tithe. The same disqualification
applied even to Christ Jesus while he was
on earth since he was also reckoned as
having come from the tribe of Judah. This
same restriction was applicable to the
activities of the apostle Peter (because he
was as well from Judah) and it applied to
the apostle Paul (because he was from the
tribe of Benjamin). Neither Christ nor those
apostles were Levites so they were all
disqualified from receiving any part of the
biblical tithe . It is just that simple.
And listen, if Christ, Peter and Paul did not
use the biblical tithe for any of their work in
teaching the Gospel, Christian ministers
today should not use the biblical tithe either.
The Jewish religious authorities are wise
enough to read what the Word of God states
about the tithe and, thankfully, they abide by
it. But our Gentile preachers and priests care
very little what the biblical texts actually
state and go merrily on their way by
devising their own laws of tithing which are
different from those of the Bible.
The rabbi then gave me some information
on the method that many Jews use today to
secure adequate funds with which to
operate their religious organizations. He
went on to say that the activities of his
synagogue were financially supported
through the adoption of the "patron system"
by its members. That is, families would buy
seats in the synagogue for various prices
each year. The rabbi mentioned that many
of his congregation actually paid more than
a tenth of their income to get better seats in
the synagogue. This method for raising
funds is perfectly proper (from the biblical
point of view) if Jews wish to use it. This is
because the money is paid to the synagogue
and not to an ordained Levitical priesthood.
The final rabbi was correctly interpreting the
teaching of the Holy Scripture. While many
Christian ministers today teach that
Christians may be in danger of missing
salvation itself if they do not pay tithe to the
church, Jewish rabbis know better than to
say such a thing. They realize that it is
biblically improper (actually, it is a blatant
disobedience to the laws of the Bible) for
anyone to pay or to receive the biblical tithe
today. And any minister or ecclesiastical
leader who uses the biblical tithe (or any
one who pays to a minister the biblical tithe)
is a sinner in the eyes of God.

What do you think?

www.askelm.com/tithing/thi003.htm
Re: Understanding The Concept of Tithing by urheme: 9:35am On Nov 02, 2014
jdilight:
THE BENEFITS OF TITHING

It is erroneous to believe that giving your tithe will bring you blessing. No! Tithe is meant.

1. To bring increase from that where the tithe came from.
The pocket from where your tithe comes from is meant never to get dry as a tithe giver, because it is from that pocket that the house of God (where the priest that receive your tithe dwell) is meant to be sustained. By the tithe Abraham paid, he was immune from being defeated in any war he will go into.

2. To stop the devourer from devouring your possession.
No one is wealthy whose goods are constantly being preyed upon. This is the basis of wealth. Tithing is Gods medium of stopping all forms of prey/devourer from attacking your goods. Tithing stop the devourer in all area of your life not only in the avenue through which the tithe come from. Tithe is a spiritual insurance. By that the tithe given by Abraham, he insured all he had against the devourer.

These two benefits of tithing when it comes upon a man will make that man a blessing. Malachi 3:10-12.

This is really stupid!!

Abeg gather all the bible and burn them,

Churches now have pos for collecting tithe, infact burn all the churches too.
We need a revolution
Re: Understanding The Concept of Tithing by Bigtree007: 9:38am On Nov 02, 2014
Tithing is spiritual and not for canal minds.I had a personal fight with God concerning tithing.then I came to realize DAT,dats actually Gods money.

2 Likes

Re: Understanding The Concept of Tithing by urheme: 9:39am On Nov 02, 2014
jdilight:
THE BENEFITS OF TITHING

It is erroneous to believe that giving your tithe will bring you blessing. No! Tithe is meant.

1. To bring increase from that where the tithe came from.
The pocket from where your tithe comes from is meant never to get dry as a tithe giver, because it is from that pocket that the house of God (where the priest that receive your tithe dwell) is meant to be sustained. By the tithe Abraham paid, he was immune from being defeated in any war he will go into.

2. To stop the devourer from devouring your possession.
No one is wealthy whose goods are constantly being preyed upon. This is the basis of wealth. Tithing is Gods medium of stopping all forms of prey/devourer from attacking your goods. Tithing stop the devourer in all area of your life not only in the avenue through which the tithe come from. Tithe is a spiritual insurance. By that the tithe given by Abraham, he insured all he had against the devourer.

These two benefits of tithing when it comes upon a man will make that man a blessing. Malachi 3:10-12.

Tithe as immunity from being defeated in a war,
This is the worst thread on tithe on this section

This is really stupid!!
You are even talking about war, later you will tell me is spiritual war.

Abeg gather all the bible and burn them,

Churches now have pos for collecting tithe, infact burn all the churches too.
We need a revolution.
Re: Understanding The Concept of Tithing by Nobody: 9:41am On Nov 02, 2014
Bigtree007:
Tithing is spiritual and not for canal minds.I had a personal fight with God concerning tithing.then I came to realize DAT,dats actually Gods money.
How did God's money end up in ur hands?

6 Likes

Re: Understanding The Concept of Tithing by Eyop: 9:44am On Nov 02, 2014
Pyrrho:
How did God's money end up in ur hands?
grin grin
Re: Understanding The Concept of Tithing by portix: 9:49am On Nov 02, 2014

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

About The High Rate Of Immoral Sex Amongst Young People Today / 10 Sermons Most Young Ladies Will Likely Turn Deaf Ears To / Bishop Omooba Adebowale Exchanges His Shoes Worth N145K With Member During

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.