Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,217 members, 7,818,736 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:36 PM

Understanding The Concept of Tithing - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Understanding The Concept of Tithing (37082 Views)

The Law Of Tithing, Does It Really Work For You? / Testimonies On Why We Stopped Tithing Here / How To Reap The Full Benefits Of Tithing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Understanding The Concept of Tithing by ennysongs(m): 9:52am On Nov 02, 2014
I dey church
Re: Understanding The Concept of Tithing by duni04(m): 9:53am On Nov 02, 2014
Bigtree007:
Tithing is spiritual and not for canal minds.I had a personal fight with God concerning tithing.then I came to realize DAT,dats actually Gods money.
Pele. You've been scammed.

9 Likes

Re: Understanding The Concept of Tithing by lastmessenger: 9:54am On Nov 02, 2014
Peter262:
Any person that says tithing is unchristian is an advocate of the devil. Pastors are not 9 to 5 workers, they got bills to pay, from wia do u expect them to get money? God is watching
And they have investment to do and jets and customized cars to ride while their church members still live in poverty

9 Likes

Re: Understanding The Concept of Tithing by Lanrefreshkid: 9:57am On Nov 02, 2014
Probably the Op owns a Church...God knws best

5 Likes

Re: Understanding The Concept of Tithing by SleekReek(m): 9:57am On Nov 02, 2014
The way Tithe is being preached is erroneous, like for instance
1)If you don't Tithe you will be cursed with a curse.
2)Your Tithe must be paid into the storehouse that is where you are fed the word of God,the church you attend.
3)You don't give your Tithe, you pay your Tithe, for it is not yours it belongs to God.
4)Your Tithe belongs to God the remaining 90% is yours.

This is the Truth the dispensation of Grace is even stricter than the dispensation of the Law, in the dispensation of the Law Tithe was mandatory but in the dispensation of Grace ,10% doesn't belong to God and 90% to you, all 100% belong to God and you give to the advancement of His kingdom as instructed by God for all your earn is by the blessing of God, with may entail giving much more than 10% which must be giving willingly and cheerfully because you love God and not out of any manipulative compulsion that if you don't tithe you are cursed with a curse and that the Tithe must be paid in your local assembly(for God can instruct you to give 10% 05r even 20% of your income in a month to a man who you know is genuinely serving God but is not even part of the assembly you attend.)

2 Corinthians 9:6-8
Now this I say, he who sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and he who sows bountifully will also reap bountifully. Each one must do just as he has purposed in his heart, not grudgingly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver. And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that always having all sufficiency in everything, you may have an abundance for every good deed;…

3 Likes

Re: Understanding The Concept of Tithing by seagulsntrawler: 9:59am On Nov 02, 2014
jdilight:

I didn't cause anyone. When I say shall not prosper, I mean it. Their scheme to bring down the church of God will never see the light of the day. This prayer was not directed to anyone in particular, but to everyone. If you think my prayer is unchrist-like, what do you make of Christ prayer, "the church of God shall move forward and the gate of hell shall not prevail against it?"
If you read the verse you just quoted again and analyze it in context, you will see that Christ never sought to fund church activities with tithes. He didn't raise or collect any while on earth partly because he's not a levite and most importantly, the ministry was not about money but to preach the gospel to the poor. And to set at liberty them that are bruised. Luke 4:18. My brother, it has never been about the 'benjamins'

7 Likes

Re: Understanding The Concept of Tithing by apeleone(f): 10:02am On Nov 02, 2014
Who made u a judge to pass judgement. It reali shows u still need to study d scriptures
Re: Understanding The Concept of Tithing by Nobody: 10:15am On Nov 02, 2014
Bigtree007:
Tithing is spiritual and not for canal minds.I had a personal fight with God concerning tithing.then I came to realize DAT,dats actually Gods money.
How did God's money end up in ur pockets?

5 Likes

Re: Understanding The Concept of Tithing by lastmessenger: 10:41am On Nov 02, 2014
Jayne2014:

What do you think?

www.askelm.com/tithing/thi003.htm
j
Another eye opener.thanks a lot .
Re: Understanding The Concept of Tithing by MovingMax: 10:42am On Nov 02, 2014
[color=#006600][/color] @ OP, pls most of your bible quaotation to butress tithing is derived from the old testament. I know Christ said He did not come to change the law but to fulfil it [Matt.5;17] christianity starts from christ. I want to ask, in all christ ministration is there any where it is recorded he paid tith? Or his disciples? In Matt; 23:23 christ made us to know that tith is not a weightier matter of the law. Christ is the fulfilment of the law, whosoever that believe in christ there is no condemination. christans are to worship God in the newness of spirit and not in the oldness of the law[ Romans 7; 6]. Love one another, he that love another hath fulfiled the law. Roms,13; 8] Christ encourage us to give. So I tell u the law of tith in Malachi is not for christians who worships God in spirit through christ. Christ came and set us free from the law, so if u still worship in the old way that's your business, as for me I'm free from that law because whoever the son of man set free is free indeed
Re: Understanding The Concept of Tithing by patrickmuf(m): 10:43am On Nov 02, 2014
This is what I hate about Christianity... Selectivity is the main practice... Tithing is not old testament but sacrificing lambs is, the passage that admonishes women not to put on a man's garment is old testament... They select what to believe so as to propagate their senseless message...
I still won't tithe until i'm certain it's a command from God...

10 Likes

Re: Understanding The Concept of Tithing by vacanci: 10:48am On Nov 02, 2014
Aringon:

Any christian that has benefitted immensely from God for paying his or her tithe will continue to pay tithe. Those that say the Pastors are stealing from christians shouls stay clear of paying it.
U r hanging on to the grace of God? Bible says " shall we continue in sin so that grace may abound?"
Tithe is use for the expansion of the work of God , paying salaries of Pastors, drummers,church administrators etc
Nobody is forcing u to pay tithe biko, when u pay ur tithe n turn around to seek what the money has been used for, my friend you won't benefit from that

Why dont u also practice the law below which is also in the bible instead of the Malachi alone.

Deuteronomy 13:12-18 And if word comes to you, in one of the towns which the Lord your God is giving you for your resting-place,
That good-for-nothing persons have gone out from among you, turning the people of their town from the right way and saying, Let us go and give worship to other gods, of whom you have no knowledge;
Then let a full search be made, and let questions be put with care; and if it is true and certain that such a disgusting thing has been done among you;
Then take up arms against the people of that town and give it up to the curse, with all its cattle and everything in it.
And take all the goods into the middle of its open space, burning the town and all its property with fire as an offering to the Lord your God; it is to be a waste for ever; there is to be no more building there.
Keep not a thing of what is cursed for yourselves: so the Lord may be turned away from the heat of his wrath, and have mercy on you, and give you increase as he said in his oath to your fathers:
So long as you give ear to the voice of the Lord your God, and keep all his orders which I give you today, and do what is right in the eyes of the Lord your God.

1 Like

Re: Understanding The Concept of Tithing by emmahoney(m): 10:50am On Nov 02, 2014
There was an argument of this between somebody and I on this subject matter. I asked him just a question and he could not answer it. He was saying that paying tithe opens astral blessings and the he is a living testimony to God's blessing because he is tither; what a false argument!! I just asked him why is it that people that don't even going to church let alone paying tithe are rich? Eh!! the guy was just speechless. If you like, tithe, if you like don't; there is no connection between tithe and blessing.

2 Likes

Re: Understanding The Concept of Tithing by Nobody: 10:58am On Nov 02, 2014
patrickmuf:
This is what I hate about Christianity... Selectively is the main practice... Tithing is not old testament but sacrificing lambs is, the passage that admonishes women not to put on a man's garment is old testament... They select what to believe so as to propagate their senseless message...
you can be certain it was meant for the people of the old testament, according to the Bible. You can also be certain Christ never preached it. You can be certain that these Christians are more concerned about tithe than Jesus' teaching.
Re: Understanding The Concept of Tithing by Nobody: 10:59am On Nov 02, 2014
patrickmuf:
This is what I hate about Christianity... Selectively is the main practice... Tithing is not old testament but sacrificing lambs is, the passage that admonishes women not to put on a man's garment is old testament... They select what to believe so as to propagate their senseless message...
you can be certain it was meant for the people of the old testament, according to the Bible. You can also be certain Jesus was never concerned about it. You can be certain that these Christians are more concerned about tithe than Jesus' teaching.
Re: Understanding The Concept of Tithing by Nobody: 11:01am On Nov 02, 2014
Liekiller:
Let me make a suggestion: use your heart and common sense. Maybe also ask yourself what Jesus would have done. Conlusion: pay school fees for a poor kid instead of making a scam pastor richer. Bring your Xmas goat to a poor family instead of to a rich pastor. Help the homeless get a home instead of financing yet another private jet for a scam pastor. Wouldn't that be the true Christian spirit?!??
I have not seen a pastor who says his members must bring their tithes compulsorily to their church , yes they provide tithe booklets but thats to help discpline you . majority pay to churches because they believe the churches will always help the poor directly . rather than take it to an orphange you are not sure how it is run .
Re: Understanding The Concept of Tithing by Peter262: 11:03am On Nov 02, 2014
lastmessenger:

And they have investment to do and jets and customized cars to ride while their church members still live in poverty
do u think dat any person that answers pastor is a pastor? Do u think that anybody that owns a Church is a servant of God? Till the day u know the differeCe btw God anD man, for nw I rest my case
Re: Understanding The Concept of Tithing by sylve11: 11:03am On Nov 02, 2014
plaetton:

If tithe is not a bribe, then what is it, since it is obligatory?
Is it tribute?
Is it slave tax?
Is it a spiritual shakedown, considering that it comes with a threat of a devourer as the enforcer, similar to a mafia extortion racket?

If tithing for important in life or in the spiritual, would Jesus, supposed son god and saviour of mankind, not have emphasized it in his many teachings?
Jesus emphasized kindness, love, charity, sharing with the poor, caring for the sick, not collecting from the very same people you should be giving to.
I can see why charlatans like the op would ignore the teachings of Jesus, usherrer of the new covenant, to focus his greedy and avaricious eyes on Abraham's spoils of war as a basis to live fat on the avails of other.

What a shame.

I trust u! Op go hear whiin today. cool
Re: Understanding The Concept of Tithing by Liability(m): 11:06am On Nov 02, 2014
most of my money is with bishop oyedepo.

Please how do i collect it back, because i realised he is amassing wealth for himself and his childrem.

Help!

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Understanding The Concept of Tithing by Liability(m): 11:06am On Nov 02, 2014
Re: Understanding The Concept of Tithing by Nobody: 11:10am On Nov 02, 2014
Liability:
most of my money is with bishop oyedepo.

Please how do i collect it back, because i realised he is amassing wealth for himself and his childrem.

Help!
I was told that all of the Church money(tithes, offerings, properties, donations...) is banked in his name. How true is this?
Re: Understanding The Concept of Tithing by Eyop: 11:11am On Nov 02, 2014
Pyrrho:
I was told that all of the Church money is banked in his name(tithes, offerings, donations...). How true is this?

He's not so far from you, Winners is at Idiroko road Ota Ogun State. So is better you go there and confirm things yourself.

1 Like

Re: Understanding The Concept of Tithing by Nobody: 11:15am On Nov 02, 2014
Eyop:

He's not so far from you, Winners is at Idiroko road Ota Ogun State. So is better you go there and confirm things yourself.
I'm sure you don't care.
Re: Understanding The Concept of Tithing by Eyop: 11:18am On Nov 02, 2014
Pyrrho:
I'm sure you don't care.
About what sir?
Re: Understanding The Concept of Tithing by lastmessenger: 11:22am On Nov 02, 2014
Peter262:
do u think dat any person that answers pastor is a pastor? Do u think that anybody that owns a Church is a servant of God? Till the day u know the differeCe btw God anD man, for nw I rest my case
I don't know where you are driving at. Nobody is saying that pastor should suffer but we are saying that putting compulsory levy on church members is not Christianity.
Re: Understanding The Concept of Tithing by Nobody: 11:24am On Nov 02, 2014
Eyop:

About what sir?
Where your tithe ends up.
Re: Understanding The Concept of Tithing by Ben6ene: 11:26am On Nov 02, 2014
Bro Jdilight, d word church in d old tastament is different from today's church,u and I are d church of God,not d building anymore,did Paul collect tithe? Tithe was meant for the priests in d temple(building), God doesn't reside in building anymore, He dwells in us, we are his temple! Paying d tithe wud av been better if used for God's kingdom, it shudn't therefore b enforced. May God increase our understanding.[color=#000099][/color]

4 Likes

Re: Understanding The Concept of Tithing by Eyop: 11:31am On Nov 02, 2014
Pyrrho:
Where your tithe ends up.

The word tithe is not in my dictionary. I believe in contributing to God's work willingly and cheerfully,Assisting the poor,the sick,homes experiencing serious financial challenges,orphanage,etc. My financial contribution to church won't really be on the already established churches but rather some that are still gradually coming up.

I attended winners for 6 months and during that time,i was made to understand that tithing will open doors for financial blessing,that if i don't pay tithe that am owing God,etc i bought an exercise book and documented all my inflows to enable me remit tithe accurately but situation was still same and no open doors for the financial blessing until i opened my bible and studied it very well and couldn't find information about tithing in the new testament. So like i said, tithing had never been in my dictionary except while i was at winners but am back to my own faith.

7 Likes

Re: Understanding The Concept of Tithing by Nobody: 11:33am On Nov 02, 2014
Everyone to his belief , if you give more than 50 percent of your income to the needy , will God say you have robbed him because you did ot pay " tithe " giving is way out of poverty and we give in diverse ways . God will bless you along as you are living right , helping the needy and contributing to the growth of the gospel . My church advocates tithes and offerings but I give based on my belief ... its clear and precise understanding .its just sad some christains think you can live in sin and because you pay tithe and offering , God automitically forgives you . God does not need your money . pls , any pastor that says you should bring your tithe to him and that it belongs to him should be stoned . prophet offerings comes differently.

1 Like

Re: Understanding The Concept of Tithing by Liekiller(f): 11:35am On Nov 02, 2014
majekdom2:
I have not seen a pastor who says his members must bring their tithes compulsorily to their church , yes they provide tithe booklets but thats to help discpline you . majority pay to churches because they believe the churches will always help the poor directly . rather than take it to an orphange you are not sure how it is run .

so do the churches regularly help the poor directly? I more often see them building schools that - again - only the rich can afford, and not providing free quality education for those who actually couldn't afford education at all. If anything. But that's not really my point anyway. My point is that I strongly believe that all this money should be used in a more sensible way. And it wouldn't hurt most of us to do some good personally instead of turning a blind eye and delegating the good-doing. This matter should not be about endless and pointless quote wars. Simply put, I want the next person who has an Xmas ram to give away to bring it to someone living under a bridge rather than to a pastor who doesn't need it and already has been given 10 others! I would also like to see self-proclaimed good Christians lend a helping hand to abandoned "witch children" whose suffering was caused by nonsensical teachings. Or how about inviting a cripple on the street to Xmas dinner and listening to the story of his life? I would like to see people THINK and use their heart, and remember what should be the true essence of Christian belief.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Understanding The Concept of Tithing by sylve11: 11:37am On Nov 02, 2014
majekdom2:
I have not seen a pastor who says his members must bring their tithes compulsorily to their church ,.

U have not seen, well, let me forgive u on dat. cool

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Bishop Omooba Adebowale Exchanges His Shoes Worth N145K With Member During / Atheist Society Of Nigeria Celebrates Christmas. See Reactions (Photos) / May God Keep Daddy Adeboye. That Man Is A True Man Of God

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.