Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,186 members, 7,822,007 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 12:59 AM

Understanding The Concept of Tithing - Religion (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Understanding The Concept of Tithing (37128 Views)

The Law Of Tithing, Does It Really Work For You? / Testimonies On Why We Stopped Tithing Here / How To Reap The Full Benefits Of Tithing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Understanding The Concept of Tithing by clemz85(m): 5:22pm On Nov 02, 2014
I have two source of income, one as monthly salary the other as daily hustle, the daily hustle is not really my personal basket, its a kind of commission and dividend, I pays my tithe faithfully form the monthly income, I just observed that only the monthly pay stays stable, the other daily income has a question mark, now I have decided to pay tithe from there no matter what,

the in thing is do what you believe and leave another to what he does, BTW it is written " be it unto thee according to thy believe" if I got it right.
Re: Understanding The Concept of Tithing by plaetton: 5:23pm On Nov 02, 2014
lyvin:

Look around you and tell me ur better than all those who do not pay tithe. Do this sincerely u will realise that ur being delusional.

Someone pointed out here that Catholic dogma/canon law does not emphasis tithe yet they were able to bring gospel here even building skols, hospitals etc. That's shows dt there are other ways d church can be sustained aside tithe but the greed of this modern crooks makes them preach these compulsory fraud to satisfy their quest for quick money.

B/w how much tithe does Dangote pay
Yeye dey smell

Greed is the word.
Imagine this same guy saying that tithe is not meant to be given to the poor.
Shocking statement coming from a Christian.

I guess Jesus must have right when said that the rich( in this case,greedy conmen) shall take from the poor and add to whatever they already had.

3 Likes

Re: Understanding The Concept of Tithing by Eyop: 5:25pm On Nov 02, 2014
christemmbassey:
chairman, mbok what is ur opinion on dis tithe scam?

Edidem, i am a born,baptised,confirmed Catholic. I don't believe in tithing and the only time i was fine tuned like a television searching for frequency to start paying was when i was invited to Living faith church aka Winners chapel last year and i was made to understand that tithing open doors to financial blessing and i did that for 6 months but the door wasn't opened. People even understand this tithing differently. In winners,i was made to understand that it should be 10% of anything you are blessed with be it financial or material meaning that if i should be blessed with a car gift,i should value that car and pay 10% of it as tithe not necessarily at the end of the month as a salary earner.

So i had no choice than to buy an exercise book and prepared well for it like a chartered accountant trying to get his accounts well balanced. But to cut the long story short,i decided to carefully study the bible and read a lot about it and discovered that it isn't in the new testament. I believe in contributing massively to the things of the church and even when doing so,i select the church i put my God given money but not for one pastor to tax my money all in the name of paying 10% tithe. I also have passion for assisting the needy,sick,orphanage,etc and not to throw money around like a foolish man.

5 Likes

Re: Understanding The Concept of Tithing by Liekiller(f): 5:32pm On Nov 02, 2014
plaetton:

Greed is the word.
Imagine this same guy saying that tithe is not meant to be given to the poor.
Shocking statement coming from a Christian.

I guess Jesus must have right when said that the rich( in this case,greedy conmen) shall take from the poor and add to whatever they already had.

There is a proverb that says "The Devil always sh*ts on the biggest heap". Sums it all up. Just weird that Christians would approve of this and promote it!

1 Like

Re: Understanding The Concept of Tithing by daniwealth(m): 5:38pm On Nov 02, 2014
Pyrrho:
cheesycheesycheesy Alhaji Dangote... Tithe-payer smileysmileysmiley

But you forgot to mention the owners of Gulder, Harp, Star, Heineken, Samsung, I phone, Walmart, Chelsea, Man City... I can continue till midnight.
i never said Aliko dangote is a Tithe payer,i just he has some sacrifice he pays to remain at the Top
Re: Understanding The Concept of Tithing by patrickmuf(m): 5:39pm On Nov 02, 2014
Nctrice:
am not saying you are a Muslim either! Am just saying that you should be pleased that majority of Christians in our today's world know how to be "selective" like you wrongly put it... for there could be some part of the scriptures that teaches Christians how to be radical to unbelievers but for the grace of God Christians know that's which is Godly...
if you opine that I put it wrongly, do the needful...
Re: Understanding The Concept of Tithing by Nctrice(m): 5:55pm On Nov 02, 2014
patrickmuf:
if you opine that I put it wrongly, do the needful...
my brother GRACE is the needful! GRACE!
Re: Understanding The Concept of Tithing by patrickmuf(m): 5:56pm On Nov 02, 2014
Nctrice:
my brother GRACE is the needful! GRACE!
Do you tithe?
Re: Understanding The Concept of Tithing by Nctrice(m): 5:59pm On Nov 02, 2014
patrickmuf:
Do you tithe?
yes I do!
Re: Understanding The Concept of Tithing by luckaz(m): 6:00pm On Nov 02, 2014
MOST MEN OF GOD ARE JUST HOLDING TO THOSE PASSAGES THAT CAN BOAST AND IMPROVE THEIR PUCKETS.

SO SAD
Re: Understanding The Concept of Tithing by patrickmuf(m): 6:02pm On Nov 02, 2014
Nctrice:
yes I do!
lmao I should've ask if you fellowship at all...
Re: Understanding The Concept of Tithing by Nobody: 6:13pm On Nov 02, 2014
WinsomeX:
So we should tithe because Abraham tithed. But Abraham did a lot more things that are not binding on Christians today.

Abraham circumcised his sons. Christians are not bound to be circumcised today. Acts 15, Galatians 5.

Abraham offered burnt offerings. No Christian
does that today.

Abraham was polygamous. Christians are not.

Abraham fought wars. Christians do not necessarily fight wars.

And, lastly here, Abraham gave a tithe once from war spoils. Should Christians do the same?

As for Jesus fulfilling the law. If the law is fulfilled, what is left to be done in it? Why would Christ fulfill all the law and leave only that of tithing for Christians to fulfill?

Please attempt my questions.

these guys are desperately researching so their income can be guaranteed.
they wont give up.

2 Likes

Re: Understanding The Concept of Tithing by Nctrice(m): 6:19pm On Nov 02, 2014
patrickmuf:
lmao I should've ask if you fellowship at all...
I also do!
Re: Understanding The Concept of Tithing by christemmbassey(m): 6:20pm On Nov 02, 2014
Eyop:

Edidem, i am a born,baptised,confirmed Catholic. I don't believe in tithing and the only time i was fine tuned like a television searching for frequency to start paying was when i was invited to Living faith church aka Winners chapel last year and i was made to understand that tithing open doors to financial blessing and i did that for 6 months but the door wasn't opened. People even understand this tithing differently. In winners,i was made to understand that it should be 10% of anything you are blessed with be it financial or material meaning that if i should be blessed with a car gift,i should value that car and pay 10% of it as tithe not necessarily at the end of the month as a salary earner.

So i had no choice than to buy an exercise book and prepared well for it like a chartered accountant trying to get his accounts well balanced. But to cut the long story short,i decided to carefully study the bible and read a lot about it and discovered that it isn't in the new testament. I believe in contributing massively to the things of the church and even when doing so,i select the church i put my God given money but not for one pastor to tax my money all in the name of paying 10% tithe. I also have passion for assisting the needy,sick,orphanage,etc and not to throw money around like a foolish man.
Jesus was right when he said in jn8:32, "and the truth shall make you free...." I thank God for ur freedom from d scaming commandment of men. Two incidents happened dat jolted me and forced me to take a serious study of dis tithe fraud. Some 4, 5yrs ago in my former church, a sister asked this, "assuming you were on ur way to pay tithe and u met a life and death situation, is it good to use d tithe to save dat life then latter, u can look for money and pay d tithe or u should allow d person to die bc tithe is holy and u must not touch". To this one of d dishonest pastors there said u must not touch d tithe bc its holy unto God.. Another one was when a pastor returned sm1 tithe, claiming dat holyghost instructed her to return d envelope bc d tithe was not complet. These forced me to asked so many questions, take a closer look at tithe teaching and was very suprised at what is in d word of God about tithing, and i also realised dat, if i must tithe to recieve house, car, wife/children, health, peace, safety, security etc, to me Christ died for nothing, i'm, like Esau, whom d bible called 'a profane person', bc, he abandoned a thing of eternal value and went for 'garri and soup'. Today as a paster, i enjoy so much frefom in the Spirit, bc i preach only Christ and him crucified. I travel for crurades and take material things with me to give with t word of God. I makes d work of God so sweet when you don't have to sell anything. God is not a trader or money dobble, he's rich enough to longspanroof my heavenly mansion he does not need nairas, dollas or pound sterlings. Abasi odu ya fo, eyeneka.

3 Likes

Re: Understanding The Concept of Tithing by Eyop: 6:26pm On Nov 02, 2014
christemmbassey:
Jesus was right when he said in jn8:32, "and the truth shall make you free...." I thank God for ur freedom from d scaming commandment of men. Two incidents happened dat jolted me and forced me to take a serious study of dis tithe fraud. Some 4, 5yrs ago in my former church, a sister asked this, "assuming you were on ur way to pay tithe and u met a life and death situation, is it good to use d tithe to save dat life then latter, u can look for money and pay d tithe or u should allow d person to die bc tithe is holy and u must not touch". To this one of d dishonest pastors there said u must not touch d tithe bc its holy unto God.. Another one was when a pastor returned sm1 tithe, claiming dat holyghost instructed her to return d envelope bc d tithe was not complet. These forced me to asked so many questions, take a closer look at tithe teaching and was very suprised at what is in d word of God about tithing, and i also realised dat, if i must tithe to recieve house, car, wife/children, health, peace, safety, security etc, to me Christ died for nothing, i'm, like Esau, whom d bible called 'a profane person', bc, he abandoned a thing of eternal value and went for 'garri and soup'. Today as a paster, i enjoy so much frefom in the Spirit, bc i preach only Christ and him crucified. I travel for crurades and take material things with me to give with t word of God. I makes d work of God so sweet when you don't have to sell anything. God is not a trader or money dobble, he's rich enough to longspanroof my heavenly mansion he does not need nairas, dollas or pound sterlings. Abasi odu ya fo, eyeneka.

Amen,ya fo nko wink
Re: Understanding The Concept of Tithing by christemmbassey(m): 6:28pm On Nov 02, 2014
daniwealth:

i never said Aliko dangote is a Tithe payer,i just he has some sacrifice he pays to remain at the Top
yes, he sacrifice 10,000 humans everyday, continue to decieve urself, he is seeing result, while u are decieving ur victims to have faith and wait forever.

2 Likes

Re: Understanding The Concept of Tithing by 1mindchrisr(f): 6:32pm On Nov 02, 2014
lyvin:

Look around you and tell me ur better than all those who do not pay tithe. Do this sincerely u will realise that ur being delusional.

Someone pointed out here that Catholic dogma/canon law does not emphasis tithe yet they were able to bring gospel here even building skols, hospitals etc. That's shows dt there are other ways d church can be sustained aside tithe but the greed of this modern crooks makes them preach these compulsory fraud to satisfy their quest for quick money.

B/w how much tithe does Dangote pay
Yeye dey smell

dt correct
infact dt reminds me of d history d first churches in SA they built churches n iin those chuches they expanded it by starting education. note dt d bible is for d broken souls n to free those living in bondage n
many profesions came out frm these churches yet no one was paying tithes
as to where it went wrong in todays churches it only greed. n more opresion making people be dependant on them

1 Like

Re: Understanding The Concept of Tithing by s4short: 6:55pm On Nov 02, 2014
[sup][/sup]Matt 23:23 Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees,
pretenders (hypocrites)! For you give a tenth of
your mint and dill and cummin, and have
neglected and omitted the weightier (more
important) matters of the Law--right and justice
and mercy and fidelity. These you ought [particularly] to have done, without neglecting
the others.Matt 23:23 Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees,
and mercy and fidelity. These you ought [particularly] to have done, without neglecting
the others.
Matt 23:23 Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees,
the others.

Am sure the person that posted this didn't see the bottom part that said "these you ought to have done, without neglecting the others " pls does this "others" not include tithe.

Also if you remember the issue of temple tax, where christ said he was not supposed to pay because he is the son of God and used an instance of kings and princes, i feel that was actually tithe.
Re: Understanding The Concept of Tithing by Knowyaself(m): 7:26pm On Nov 02, 2014
SleekReek:
The way Tithe is being preached is erroneous, like for instance
1)If you don't Tithe you will be cursed with a curse.
2)Your Tithe must be paid into the storehouse that is where you are fed the word of God,the church you attend.
3)You don't give your Tithe, you pay your Tithe, for it is not yours it belongs to God.
4)Your Tithe belongs to God the remaining 90% is yours.

This is the Truth the dispensation of Grace is even stricter than the dispensation of the Law, in the dispensation of the Law Tithe was mandatory but in the dispensation of Grace ,10% doesn't belong to God and 90% to you, all 100% belong to God and you give to the advancement of His kingdom as instructed by God for all your earn is by the blessing of God, with may entail giving much more than 10% which must be giving willingly and cheerfully because you love God and not out of any manipulative compulsion that if you don't tithe you are cursed with a curse and that the Tithe must be paid in your local assembly(for God can instruct you to give 10% 05r even 20% of your income in a month to a man who you know is genuinely serving God but is not even part of the assembly you attend.)

2 Corinthians 9:6-8
Now this I say, he who sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and he who sows bountifully will also reap bountifully. Each one must do just as he has purposed in his heart, not grudgingly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver. And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that always having all sufficiency in everything, you may have an abundance for every good deed;…

This is the plain truth. God bless you for sharing this.

1 Like

Re: Understanding The Concept of Tithing by nannymcphee(f): 7:27pm On Nov 02, 2014
jdilight:

Will answer you later, I have to go home now. Thank you.

**singing**

Someone please call 911, tell them the Op is missing, since 31st..

Just kidding, hope all is well with you?

come & finish what you started, so many unanswered questions

3 Likes

Re: Understanding The Concept of Tithing by Nobody: 7:44pm On Nov 02, 2014
Tithes make ur finance(Source) Spiritual, if u need devine source of supply den u nid to tithe.
Re: Understanding The Concept of Tithing by ayo4dworld(m): 7:55pm On Nov 02, 2014
God help us! I dont know why Christians find it difficult to give. I am yet to find a place in the bible that talks about Christians not to pay tithe (pls share if you have any scripture in mind).

The Scriptures can not be interpreted with wordly wisdom, neither can it be understood if the HolySpirit did not guide you through. Nobody is forcing anyone to pay tithe, if you are not conviced, don't pay, read and study the bible on tithing, then pay if you are convinced. It's not your duty to confuse people not to pay tithes because you are not convinced paying tithes. 10% is not too much for God, and the 10% will not make you die before the end of the month.

You are expected to pay 10% of your increase/income. I don't expect a person that doesnt work/ have business/have not received any gifts to pay tithe like the OP has said.

God does not need your money, it is His house that needs it. Moreover, if you don't give you are only dealing with your self, u don't expect d blessings of tithes to work for you when you don't pay it

1 Like

Re: Understanding The Concept of Tithing by dein77(m): 8:19pm On Nov 02, 2014
chuksfor13:
Tithes make ur finance(Source) Spiritual, if u need devine source of supply den u nid to tithe.

Any scriptural backing? Or is this your own version?
Re: Understanding The Concept of Tithing by Opengates(m): 8:38pm On Nov 02, 2014
PastorKun:

Stop deceiving people here, God does not need your tithe and God can grow his church without your likes twisting his word to extort money from believers.

Are you really a Pastor

Just asking...
Re: Understanding The Concept of Tithing by tonididdy(m): 8:42pm On Nov 02, 2014
nice thread
Re: Understanding The Concept of Tithing by NobleG1(m): 8:46pm On Nov 02, 2014
Few religious behaviors make sense to me, but Tithing is especially interesting.

Objectively, even if there was a God I can't imagine why he would ever require money... but I do understand that a church needs money to function. However a shared responsibility amongst followers to support the church is distinctly different from a preacher telling the congregation that "all blessings come from sown seeds", which is specifically what I have heard many preachers say. This line of thinking perverts taking money from often poor people even further. The members now are essentially investing money for future returns in the form of "blessings" as though Jesus is also acting as a holy stock broker.

Even more disturbing, already tight for money, people couldn't be more eager to give away the little that they have. The only intention of these pastors is to extort money from id*iots who believe every lies they come up with and I find this methodology to be despicable and dishonest. I sometimes wonder all pastors aren't just intentionally full of BS with intentions to manipulate or if they do indeed believe what they are selling.

2 Likes

Re: Understanding The Concept of Tithing by lookingfly: 9:04pm On Nov 02, 2014
pls am a student and I want to tithe but my big question is,the bible talks about paying tithe from your income and as a student I have not yet started earning income so how do I pay as a student or are student not qualified to pay?
Re: Understanding The Concept of Tithing by Eyop: 9:21pm On Nov 02, 2014
lookingfly:
pls am a student and I want to tithe but my big question is,the bible talks about paying tithe from your income and as a student I have not yet started earning income so how do I pay as a student or are student not qualified to pay?

Go and ask your pastor because i don't think you will get an accurate answer on this thread. As a student, you can as well pay 10% from your school fees,pocket money,etc if you don't mind.
Re: Understanding The Concept of Tithing by nora544: 9:27pm On Nov 02, 2014
Eyop:

Go and ask your pastor because i don't think you will get an accurate answer on this thread. As a student, you can as well pay 10% from your school fees,pocket money,etc if you don't mind.

since when is school fees income sorry you are a brainwashed pentecost/charismatic church follower.

Since when it has to be money you want that this poor student enrich that fake God of man.

3 Likes

Re: Understanding The Concept of Tithing by Eyop: 9:35pm On Nov 02, 2014
nora544:

since when is school fees income sorry you are a brainwashed pentecost/charismatic church follower.

Since when it has to be money you want that this poor student enrich that fake God of man.

Guy before you conclude that am brain washed,have you gone through my previous post on this thread to know my stand on tithe?
Re: Understanding The Concept of Tithing by NobleG1(m): 9:40pm On Nov 02, 2014
Your Jesus and the Apostles NEVER taught tithing.
What you have are thieving "men of God" who extort money from id*iots who believe them.

2 Likes

Re: Understanding The Concept of Tithing by loswhite(m): 9:46pm On Nov 02, 2014
jdilight:

I didn't cause anyone. When I say shall not prosper, I mean it. Their scheme to bring down the church of God will never see the light of the day. This prayer was not directed to anyone in particular, but to everyone. If you think my prayer is unchrist-like, what do you make of Christ prayer, "the church of God shall move forward and the gate of hell shall not prevail against it?"
go tell that to the Chinese that don't believe in God not to talk of paying tithe and yet they prosper. Ppl like you are disgrace to the church... Greedy pastor seeking to control ten percent of and entire regions wealth. Indeed ppl perish 4 lack of knowledge

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

"Shepherd Bushiri 'Heals' Lady With HIV During Church Service" - Prophet Claims / Bat Sent From The Village To Our Home Hangs Dead On Our Electric Pole / Why Pastor Adeboye Sat On Royal Chair – Olugbon

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.