Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,728 members, 7,809,778 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:45 PM

The New Testament Prophets Defined. - Religion (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The New Testament Prophets Defined. (21715 Views)

Appraisal: Are Our Prophets Right About 2015 Election? / Is The New Testament Rightly Labeled New Testament? / Major False Prophets In Nigeria - Must Watch Video added to last page of article (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The New Testament Prophets Defined. by Nobody: 10:32am On Nov 12, 2014
[quote author=shdemidemi post=27942069]

Thank you for asking the questions.

I am not afraid of devils: This is so because the devil is also on God's payroll. God continually use Him to fulfil a bigger picture of His purpose.

This same devil was the one God used to teach Job what was fundamentally wrong with Job. Ask yourself how they met?

This same devil was the same one God used to sift Peter as wheat.

This same devil was who God used through men to crucify the Lord of Host.

My God is always a million miles ahead of the devil. I know the end will always be similar to 'if the devil had known, he would not have crucified the lord of host'

Are you afraid of casting devils?

The same God who had done things quite differently in His dealings with mankind. The same one that said Peter should eat that which had been forbidden through the ages by the law.
Irrelevant.

This is where the conundrum is, What makes the Words of Jesus greater than the one of Paul, did they speak from a different source.
You are the guy glorying the deity of Christ all over threads if my memory serves me correctly. Is Paul a deity?

My brother, the words of God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit(through Paul) and one and the same. They must be rightly divided to know which applies to the present time.
Your opinions. The words of Christ transcend dispensations. It is Jesus that says he will come quickly, are believers waiting for Jesus or waiting for Paul?

Imitate don't mean, do as I do. It means follow my teachings as I follow the teachings I got from Christ.
imitate simply means copy, who are you copying?
Re: The New Testament Prophets Defined. by vooks: 10:34am On Nov 12, 2014
Is there any record of gentiles laying hands on believers and the believers recieving the baptism of the Holy Spirit? What about healing?

If there is none, then it is quite possible, according to shdemidemi, Gentiles should never lay hands on anyone
Bidam:
You don't blame him, maybe he read in to the text of Acts 19:13-14. So because it wasn't on record that a gentile did not cast out devils it means christians shouldn't do the same abi?
Re: The New Testament Prophets Defined. by shdemidemi(m): 10:36am On Nov 12, 2014
vooks:
Bidam my brother,
This is his response to Mark 16:17

It is one of two things, you are either ignorant of the truth or confused. The same person who says Mba cannot tell God when he wants to leave the world also believe man has power through prayers i.e tongues to edify self. No wonder Mr Mba said you are not far from his beliefs.

Do you know what it means to be edified?
Re: The New Testament Prophets Defined. by shdemidemi(m): 10:40am On Nov 12, 2014
vooks:
Is there any record of gentiles laying hands on believers and the believers recieving the baptism of the Holy Spirit? What about healing?

If there is none, then it is quite possible, according to shdemidemi, Gentiles should never lay hands on anyone

My friend, do you understand the difference between being a gentile/jew to being a christian.

Do you also understand the difference between Jewish christians (with the temple worship/jewish tradition/rituals et al) to the body of Christ void of any form of legalism?
Re: The New Testament Prophets Defined. by vooks: 11:02am On Nov 12, 2014
Wrong.
I have least tolerance for illogical man-made doctrines that can't stand the scrutiny of an intelligent heathen let alone the Sword of the Spirit. There are two types of delusion in the camp of those who know not the scriptures nor the power of God
1. They consult occult practices to taste power and fake God's power
2. They explain away their powerlessness using the most unintelligent arguments such as 'am not sent to brawl demons'

If only they desired Holy Spirit and the Father would gladly baptize them.

What does it mean to EDIFY?
shdemidemi:

It is one of two things, you are either ignorant of the truth or confused. The same person who says Mba cannot tell God when he wants to leave the world also believe man has power through prayers i.e tongues to edify self. No wonder Mr Mba said you are not far from his beliefs.

Do you know what it means to be edified?

1 Like

Re: The New Testament Prophets Defined. by shdemidemi(m): 11:03am On Nov 12, 2014
Bidam:
Are you afraid of casting devils?

I don't know what you are talking about. Cast out devil from where to where?

Bidam:
You are the guy glorying the deity of Christ all over threads if my memory serves me correctly. Is Paul a deity?

No, Paul isn't a deity. He was used by the risen Christ Himself to pen down all He could not say before He paid the price of sin.

Bidam:
Your opinions. The words of Christ transcend dispensations.

who said this-

John 6:
12 I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now.

13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.

14 He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you.
Re: The New Testament Prophets Defined. by vooks: 11:07am On Nov 12, 2014
Mark 16:17 Amplified Bible (AMP)
17 And these attesting signs will accompany those who believe: in My name they will drive out demons; they will speak in new languages;

Are you included in those who believe in this verse?

shdemidemi:

My friend, do you understand the difference between being a gentile/jew to being a christian.

Do you also understand the difference between Jewish christians (with the temple worship/jewish tradition/rituals et al) to the body of Christ void of any form of legalism?
Re: The New Testament Prophets Defined. by shdemidemi(m): 11:19am On Nov 12, 2014
vooks:
Wrong.
I have least tolerance for illogical man-made doctrines that can't stand the scrutiny of an intelligent heathen let alone the Sword of the Spirit.
If I don't understand it, it is illogical and man made.

If your doctrine is one that should sound palatable or logical in the ears of an intelligent heathen, you might need to go check what you are saying.

vooks:

There are two types of delusion in the camp of those who know not the scriptures nor the power of God
1. They consult occult practices to taste power and fake God's power
2. They explain away their powerlessness using the most unintelligent arguments such as 'am not sent to brawl demons'

Who has the corner or market to the original power of God, you?

vooks:

If only they desired Holy Spirit and the Father would gladly baptize them.

Most of your statements reek of one who lack basic understanding of scriptures. More reason why I can't discuss things like tongues with you, when you don't even understand how one gets baptised by the Holy Spirit.
Re: The New Testament Prophets Defined. by vooks: 11:26am On Nov 12, 2014
Why cling to things you can't defend?
It is difficult defending traditions with scriptures. Actually it is impossible

The power of God? Peter told us this is a gift and it is for them,their children and all afar off (you and me) as many as the Lord may call.

A sign of weak CHristians is they run the opposite direction whenever they bump into a demoniac because God sent them to preach the gospel not cast out demons and in any case they have no idea to where they should cast them out. latter day sons of Sceva

You my friend are not ignorant but deliberately obtuse. you have vowed your cocoon of traditions will be impenetrable to Truth
shdemidemi:

If I don't understand it, it is illogical and man made.

If your doctrine is one that should sound palatable or logical in the ears of an intelligent heathen, you might need to go check what you are saying.

Who has the corner to the original power of God, you?

Most of your statements reek of one who lack basic understanding of scriptures.

Re: The New Testament Prophets Defined. by shdemidemi(m): 11:33am On Nov 12, 2014
vooks:
Why cling to things you can't defend?
It is difficult defending traditions with scriptures. Actually it is impossible

The power of God? Peter told us this is a gift and it is for them,their children and all afar off (you and me) as many as the Lord may call.

A sign of weak CHristians is they run the opposite direction whenever they bump into a demoniac because God sent them to preach the gospel not cast out demons and in any case they have no idea to where they should cast them out

You my friend are not ignorant but deliberately obtuse. you have vowed your cocoon of traditions will be impenetrable to Truth

Do you have the real power to wake up the dead like Paul did, open the eyes of the blind like Peter did, et al? At least you have believed and these signs should readily follow you if we go by your warped understanding of scripture.

You have proved your immaturity to have a discussion void of insults, so much for one who has the gift of the Holy Spirit in him. Please ignore my moniker if you find it hard to talk like one with manners.
Re: The New Testament Prophets Defined. by ichuka(m): 11:36am On Nov 12, 2014
Bidam:
I didn't i just quoted a scripture, whatever meaning you read into it is your cup of tea.Scripture says a prophet prophesies but ichuka is saying otherwise.
The prophetic office goes beyond prophesying. I already said if you cared to read my post earlier that it entails direction, correction and judgement.Did David, Daniel, Moses, Elijah,Elisha,Jeremiah NOT prophesy in the OT?
This is an erroneous and othordox assertion due to doctrines and traditions. I agree a Prophet can teach just like any believer is encouraged to teach and preach, There is no scripture in the new testament that says a prophet should OPERATE in a teacher's or pastor's gifting.

Ok, maybe you could provide what is lost so we can learn and not mistake this unclear statements you made here. The prophet function is to GUIDE, The teacher GROUNDS, the pastor guards, the apostle GOVERNS and the evangelist GATHERS. It is simple really, rather than hold on to traditions that these gifts are non existent, let's believe the Word of God for once. Because you do not see it in your local assembly doesn't negate the reality of scriptures.
Very funny chap.
Well i will write a brief details of the minlstry of a prophet ,not just for you but for those who are ready to learn.
Re: The New Testament Prophets Defined. by vooks: 11:40am On Nov 12, 2014
Signs and wonders are not lifestyles but events. Did Paul raise every dead person he ran into? How could he not heal Trophimus? God moves as He wills sir.

What would you do if you ran into a demoniac seeing power to cast out demons was given to Jews and not Gentiles and the sdame expired in 96AD when the last chapter of Revelation was penned?
shdemidemi:

Do you have the real power to wake up the dead like Paul did, open the eyes of the blind like Peter did, et al? At least you have believed and these signs should readily follow you if we go by your warped understanding of scripture.

You have proved your immaturity to have a discussion void of insults, so much for one who has the gift of the Holy Spirit in him. Please ignore my moniker if you find it hard to talk like one with manners.
Re: The New Testament Prophets Defined. by shdemidemi(m): 11:46am On Nov 12, 2014
vooks:
Signs and wonders are not lifestyles but events. Did Paul raise every dead person he ran into? How could he not heal Trophimus? God moves as He wills sir.

What would you do if you ran into a demoniac seeing power to cast out demons was given to Jews and not Gentiles and the sdame expired in 96AD when the last chapter of Revelation was penned?

Don't you run into blind people, dead people or bed ridden people, how many of them have you healed with this true power you have?

1 Like

Re: The New Testament Prophets Defined. by vooks: 11:57am On Nov 12, 2014
I don't heal all of them. You on the other hand would never cross paths with a demoniac since casting out demons ability expired 1900 years ago and even then it was just for Jews not Gentiles like yourself
shdemidemi:

Don't you run into blind people, dead people or bed ridden people, how many of them have you healed with this true power you have?
Re: The New Testament Prophets Defined. by shdemidemi(m): 12:06pm On Nov 12, 2014
vooks:
I don't heal all of them.

Thank God for your life.

Why exactly do you not heal all of them? do you just choose those who you think deserve your healing power?

Jesus healed all with infirmities and He said you 'vooks' will do more than He did. what exactly is the problem, why are you healing some and not all?

Please, just out of curiosity and a desire to learn, have you also brought a dead man back to life?

1 Like

Re: The New Testament Prophets Defined. by vooks: 12:12pm On Nov 12, 2014
Read your Bible sir, he never healed all, or do you suppose there was just one lame man at Pool of Siloam?

What help can you give to a demoniac? Teaching them how helpless you are since casting demons is for immature and carnal Christians?
shdemidemi:

Thank God for your life.

Why exactly do you not heal all of them? do you just choose those who you think deserve your healing power?

Jesus healed all with infirmities and He said you 'vooks' will do more than He did. what exactly is the problem, why are you healing some and not all?

Re: The New Testament Prophets Defined. by shdemidemi(m): 12:50pm On Nov 12, 2014
vooks:
Read your Bible sir, he never healed all, or do you suppose there was just one lame man at Pool of Siloam?

What help can you give to a demoniac? Teaching them how helpless you are since casting demons is for immature and carnal Christians?

Will you clean off all the passages where he healed all that was brought to Him?

Matthew 4:24 And his fame went throughout all Syria: and they brought unto him all sick people that were taken with divers diseases and torments, and those which were possessed with devils, and those which were lunatick, and those that had the palsy;[size=16pt] and he healed them.[/size]

Matthew 8:16 When the even was come, they brought unto him many that were possessed with devils: and he cast out the spirits with his word, [size=16pt]and healed all[/size] that were sick:

My friend, Jesus told one man to go wash at the pool of Siloam. what are you talking about?

Now, why don't you heal all?

You see what lies do to people! answer questions if you have the courage.
Re: The New Testament Prophets Defined. by vooks: 1:04pm On Nov 12, 2014
Am sorry about Siloam, it is Bethesda- John 5:1-9

SO we have records of Jesus healing All that were brought to Him but we also have him selectively healing one in a crowd of sick folk.

Anyway, even if I don't heal them as Jesus did, does that validate your fickle tail-between-your-legs theory of casting-out-demons-expired-1900yrs ?
shdemidemi:

Will you clean off all the passages where he healed all that was brought to Him?

Matthew 4:24 And his fame went throughout all Syria: and they brought unto him all sick people that were taken with divers diseases and torments, and those which were possessed with devils, and those which were lunatick, and those that had the palsy;[size=16pt] and he healed them.[/size]

Matthew 8:16 When the even was come, they brought unto him many that were possessed with devils: and he cast out the spirits with his word, [size=16pt]and healed all[/size] that were sick:

My friend, Jesus told one man to go wash at the pool of Siloam. what are you talking about?

Now, why don't you heal all?

You see what lies do to people! answer questions if you have the courage.

Re: The New Testament Prophets Defined. by shdemidemi(m): 1:32pm On Nov 12, 2014
vooks:
Am sorry about Siloam, it is Bethesda- John 5:1-9

SO we have records of Jesus healing All that were brought to Him but we also have him selectively healing one in a crowd of sick folk.

Anyway, [size=16pt]even if I don't heal them as Jesus did[/size], does that validate your fickle tail-between-your-legs theory of casting-out-demons-expired-1900yrs ?

Why are you shying away from what seem logical to you, are you confused? Shouldn't you be doing even more than Jesus did?

How do you choose those you heal, don't you feel for the rest?

1 Like

Re: The New Testament Prophets Defined. by vooks: 1:59pm On Nov 12, 2014
WHy should I do more than Jesus did Sir?
I don't know of nobody who matched Jesus' feats let alone exceed them, but I do know of cowards who are terrorized by demons because they know not scriptures nor the power of God wink

shdemidemi:

Why are you shying away from what seem logical to you, are you confused? Shouldn't you be doing even more than Jesus did?

How do you choose those you heal, don't you feel for the rest?
Re: The New Testament Prophets Defined. by shdemidemi(m): 2:14pm On Nov 12, 2014
vooks:
WHy should I do more than Jesus did Sir?
I don't know of nobody who matched Jesus' feats let alone exceed them, but I do know of cowards who are terrorized by demons because they know not scriptures nor the power of God wink

Did He not say, even more miracles you will do, was He fibbing?
Re: The New Testament Prophets Defined. by vooks: 2:22pm On Nov 12, 2014
He did
shdemidemi:

Did He not say, even more miracles you will do, was He fibbing?
Re: The New Testament Prophets Defined. by Nobody: 3:33pm On Nov 12, 2014
ichuka:

Very funny chap.
Well i will write a brief details of the minlstry of a prophet ,not just for you but for those who are ready to learn.
Well like i said in the post you quoted, you can provide it so we can learn.
Re: The New Testament Prophets Defined. by Nobody: 3:38pm On Nov 12, 2014
shdemidemi:

Good question to the one who claim he believes scriptures just as they are and others a literalistic. grin
Re: The New Testament Prophets Defined. by anukulapo: 3:39pm On Nov 12, 2014
Bidam:
Yawn. Paul is talking about ministry gifts, or fivefold ministry offices, not gifts of the Spirit.

No, how else do you explain these verses.

"He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself. . ." (1 Cor. 14:4).

1 CORINTHIANS 14:2 (Moffatt)
2 ... For he who speaks in a 'tongue' addresses God, not man; no one understands him;
he is talking of divine secrets in the Spirit.

Bidam:
Is the church perfect? Is the church unified?
What are the five governmental offices Jesus
instituted in the church when He ascended? Are
they extinct according to Eph4?

Bros,weldone. Abeg tell me what makes up these classifications you made. 1) Ministry gifts, or fivefold ministry offices. 2) gifts of the Spirit. 3) The five governmental offices Jesus instituted (I guess this should be the five fold).

Just asking sha nothing hidden. Nice work so far.
Re: The New Testament Prophets Defined. by anukulapo: 3:56pm On Nov 12, 2014
vooks:
shdemidemi

5. Among the signs mentioned in Mark is casting out demons. Have we outgrown demon possession so that we no longer need casting out demons SIGNS?

Would you have believed John the Baptist? He never performed any sign nor showed any wonder YET even the (stiff necked) jews knew he was a true prophet...WITHOUT signs. Luke 20

Our anchor is on faith (things not seen) not on signs and wonders. Shalom!
Re: The New Testament Prophets Defined. by Nobody: 4:03pm On Nov 12, 2014
anukulapo:

Bros,weldone. Abeg tell me what makes up these classifications you made. 1) Ministry gifts, or fivefold ministry offices. 2) gifts of the Spirit. 3) The five governmental offices Jesus instituted (I guess this should be the five fold).

Just asking sha nothing hidden. Nice work so far.

Ministry gifts/five governmental offices is shown in EPHESIANS 4:11,12
11 And he gave some, APOSTLES; and some, PROPHETS; and some, EVANGELISTS;
and some, PASTORS and TEACHERS;
12 For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the
body of Christ

and also in 1 CORINTHIANS 12:28
28 And God hath set some in the church, first APOSTLES, secondarily PROPHETS,
thirdly TEACHERS, after that MIRACLES, then GIFTS OF HEALINGS, HELPS,
GOVERNMENTS, DIVERSITIES OF TONGUES

NOTE: Gifts of healings and miracles is manifested on a consistent basis through an evangelist AND an apostles because they draw unbelievers to see the Power of God in operation, repent and believe the gospel while spiritual equipment of diversities of tongues is manifested on a consistent basis through one who is called to the fivefold ministry in the office of the prophet.
Notice that in the Corinthian verse, Paul listed miracles, healings,helps, governments and diversities of tongues which is not found in Ephesian. These are still ministry gifts NOT spiritual gifts.

Spiritual gifts is seen in

1 CORINTHIANS 12:8-10
8 For to one is given by the Spirit the WORD OF WISDOM; to another the WORD OF
KNOWLEDGE by the same Spirit;
9 To another FAITH [special faith] by the same Spirit; to another the GIFTS OF HEALING
by the same Spirit;
10 To another the WORKING OF MIRACLES; to another PROPHECY; to another
DISCERNING OF SPIRITS; to another DIVERS KINDS OF TONGUES; to another the
INTERPRETATION OF TONGUES.
Which every believer can manifest in.
Re: The New Testament Prophets Defined. by vooks: 4:24pm On Nov 12, 2014
my brother,
I know too well that John who came in the spirit and power of Elijah performed no miracles. This means miracles are not a condition for belief.

Be that as it may, in Mark, Jesus Christ promised signs to those who believe and he enumerated them. And we see the same unfolding spectacularly in Acts. So this verse is as literal as they get. Do you agree?

anukulapo:

Would you have believed John the Baptist? He never performed any sign nor showed any wonder YET even the (stiff necked) jews knew he was a true prophet...WITHOUT signs. Luke 20

Our anchor is on faith (things not seen) not on signs and wonders. Shalom!
Re: The New Testament Prophets Defined. by ichuka(m): 4:29pm On Nov 12, 2014
Bidam:
Well like i said in the post you quoted, you can provide it so we can learn.
Ok.
The prophetic ministry is a ministry that hold things to the full
thought of God, and therefore
it is usually a reactionary thing.
We usually find that the
prophets arose as a reaction
from God to the course and
drift of things amongst His
people; a call back, a re-
declaration, a re-
pronouncement of God's
mind, a bringing into clear
view again of the thoughts of
God. The prophets stood in
the midst of the stream -
usually a fast-rushing stream -
like a rock; the course of things
broke over them. They
challenged and resisted that
course, and their presence in
the midst of the stream
represented God's mind as
against the prevailing course
of things. In the Old
Testament, the prophet
usually came into his ministry
at a time when things were
spiritually bad and anything
but according to the Divine
mind; the state was evil, things
were confused, mixed, chaotic;
there was much deception and
falsehood, and often things
very much worse than that.
Here is the thing to which the
prophetic ministry all-
inclusively relates - the original
and ultimate purpose of God
in and through His people;
the people of God
on the earth in our time have
confused parts of the purpose
of God with the whole; have
emphasized phases to the
detriment of the whole. They
are confusing means and
methods and enthusiasm and
zeal with the exact object of
the Lord, failing to recognise
that God's purpose must be
reached in God's way and by
God's means, and the way and
the means are just as
important as the purpose: that
is, you cannot reach God's end
just anyhow, by any kind of
method that you may employ,
by projecting your own ideas
or programmes or schemes to
get to God's end. God has His
own way and means of getting
to His end. God's thoughts
extend to and spread over the
smallest detail of His purpose,
and you cannot wholly realise
the purpose of God except as
the very details are according
to the mind of God.
God might have said to Moses,
Build me a tabernacle, will
you? I leave it to you how you
do it, what you use; you see
what I am after; go and make
me a tabernacle. Moses might
have got the idea of what God
wanted and have worked out
the kind of thing he would
make for God according to his
own mind. But we know that
God did not leave a single
detail, a peg or a pin's point, a
stitch or a thread, to the mind
of man. I only use that
illustration in order to enforce
what I mean, that prophetic
ministry is to present God's
full, original and ultimate
purpose, as it is according to
His mind, and hold it like that
for God; to interpret the mind
of God in all matters
concerning the purpose of
God, to bring all details into
line with the purpose, and to
make the purpose govern
everything. ........
Re: The New Testament Prophets Defined. by ichuka(m): 4:43pm On Nov 12, 2014
The ministry is
something which has not
come in with time, but is
eternal. It has come out of the
eternal counsels.
Perhaps you wonder what that
means. Well, we remember
that, without any explanation
or definition, something
comes in right at the beginning
and takes the place of
government in the economy of
God, and involves this very
function. When Adam sinned
and was expelled from the
garden, the Word simply says,
God "placed at the east of the
garden of Eden the
Cherubim... to keep the way of
the tree of life" (Genesis 3:24).
Who or what are the
Cherubim? Where do they
come from? We have heard
nothing about them before;
no explanation of them is
given. It simply is a statement.
God put them there to guard
the way of the tree of life. They
have become the custodians
of life, to hold things according
to God's thought. For the
thoughts of man's heart have
departed from God's thoughts
and have become evil;
everything has been marred;
and now the custodians of the
Divine thought about the
greatest of all things for man -
Divine life, uncreated life - the
custodians of that, the
Cherubim, are placed there.
But later we are given to
understand what the
Cherubim are like: this
symbolic, composite
representation has a four-fold
aspect - the lion, the ox, the
man and the eagle; and we
are given to understand very
clearly that the predominant
feature is the man. It is a man,
really, with three other
aspects, those of the lion, the
ox, and the eagle. The lion is a
symbol of kingship or
dominion; the ox, of service
and sacrifice; the eagle, of
heavenly glory and mystery.
The man, the predominant
aspect of the Cherubim - what
is that?
We know that throughout the
Scriptures the man takes the
place, in the Divine order of
things, of the prophet, the
representative of God. The
representation of God's
thoughts is a man. That was
the intention in the creation of
Adam in the image and
likeness of God - to be the
personal embodiment and
expression of all God's
thoughts. That is what man
was created for. That is what
we find in the Man, the Man
who was God manifested in
the flesh. He was the perfect
expression of all God's
thoughts.
Where has this symbolism of
the Cherubim come from? It is
simply brought in. It comes
out from eternity. It is a Divine,
an eternal thought, and it
takes charge of things, to hold
things for God. So that man -
and we know that phrase "the
Son of man" - is peculiarly
related to the prophetic office,
and the prophetic function is
an eternal thing, which just
comes in. It is, in its very
nature, the representation of
Divine thoughts, and it is to
hold God's thoughts in purity
and in fullness. That is the idea
related to the man, to the
prophet, and that is the
prophetic function and nature.
Re: The New Testament Prophets Defined. by ichuka(m): 4:43pm On Nov 12, 2014
The ministry is
something which has not
come in with time, but is
eternal. It has come out of the
eternal counsels.
Perhaps you wonder what that
means. Well, we remember
that, without any explanation
or definition, something
comes in right at the beginning
and takes the place of
government in the economy of
God, and involves this very
function. When Adam sinned
and was expelled from the
garden, the Word simply says,
God "placed at the east of the
garden of Eden the
Cherubim... to keep the way of
the tree of life" (Genesis 3:24).
Who or what are the
Cherubim? Where do they
come from? We have heard
nothing about them before;
no explanation of them is
given. It simply is a statement.
God put them there to guard
the way of the tree of life. They
have become the custodians
of life, to hold things according
to God's thought. For the
thoughts of man's heart have
departed from God's thoughts
and have become evil;
everything has been marred;
and now the custodians of the
Divine thought about the
greatest of all things for man -
Divine life, uncreated life - the
custodians of that, the
Cherubim, are placed there.
But later we are given to
understand what the
Cherubim are like: this
symbolic, composite
representation has a four-fold
aspect - the lion, the ox, the
man and the eagle; and we
are given to understand very
clearly that the predominant
feature is the man. It is a man,
really, with three other
aspects, those of the lion, the
ox, and the eagle. The lion is a
symbol of kingship or
dominion; the ox, of service
and sacrifice; the eagle, of
heavenly glory and mystery.
The man, the predominant
aspect of the Cherubim - what
is that?
We know that throughout the
Scriptures the man takes the
place, in the Divine order of
things, of the prophet, the
representative of God. The
representation of God's
thoughts is a man. That was
the intention in the creation of
Adam in the image and
likeness of God - to be the
personal embodiment and
expression of all God's
thoughts. That is what man
was created for. That is what
we find in the Man, the Man
who was God manifested in
the flesh. He was the perfect
expression of all God's
thoughts.
Where has this symbolism of
the Cherubim come from? It is
simply brought in. It comes
out from eternity. It is a Divine,
an eternal thought, and it
takes charge of things, to hold
things for God. So that man -
and we know that phrase "the
Son of man" - is peculiarly
related to the prophetic office,
and the prophetic function is
an eternal thing, which just
comes in. It is, in its very
nature, the representation of
Divine thoughts, and it is to
hold God's thoughts in purity
and in fullness. That is the idea
related to the man, to the
prophet, and that is the
prophetic function and nature......
Re: The New Testament Prophets Defined. by Nobody: 4:44pm On Nov 12, 2014
ichuka:

Ok.
The prophetic ministry is a ministry that hold things to the full
thought of God, and therefore
it is usually a reactionary thing.
We usually find that the
prophets arose as a reaction
from God to the course and
drift of things amongst His
people; a call back, a re-
declaration, a re-
pronouncement of God's
mind, a bringing into clear
view again of the thoughts of
God. The prophets stood in
the midst of the stream -
usually a fast-rushing stream -
like a rock; the course of things
broke over them. They
challenged and resisted that
course, and their presence in
the midst of the stream
represented God's mind as
against the prevailing course
of things. In the Old
Testament, the prophet
usually came into his ministry
at a time when things were
spiritually bad and anything
but according to the Divine
mind; the state was evil, things
were confused, mixed, chaotic;
there was much deception and
falsehood, and often things
very much worse than that.
Here is the thing to which the
prophetic ministry all-
inclusively relates - the original
and ultimate purpose of God
in and through His people;
the people of God
on the earth in our time have
confused parts of the purpose
of God with the whole; have
emphasized phases to the
detriment of the whole. They
are confusing means and
methods and enthusiasm and
zeal with the exact object of
the Lord, failing to recognise
that God's purpose must be
reached in God's way and by
God's means, and the way and
the means are just as
important as the purpose: that
is, you cannot reach God's end
just anyhow, by any kind of
method that you may employ,
by projecting your own ideas
or programmes or schemes to
get to God's end. God has His
own way and means of getting
to His end. God's thoughts
extend to and spread over the
smallest detail of His purpose,
and you cannot wholly realise
the purpose of God except as
the very details are according
to the mind of God.
God might have said to Moses,
Build me a tabernacle, will
you? I leave it to you how you
do it, what you use; you see
what I am after; go and make
me a tabernacle. Moses might
have got the idea of what God
wanted and have worked out
the kind of thing he would
make for God according to his
own mind. But we know that
God did not leave a single
detail, a peg or a pin's point, a
stitch or a thread, to the mind
of man. I only use that
illustration in order to enforce
what I mean, that prophetic
ministry is to present God's
full, original and ultimate
purpose, as it is according to
His mind, and hold it like that
for God; to interpret the mind
of God in all matters
concerning the purpose of
God, to bring all details into
line with the purpose, and to
make the purpose govern
everything. ........

oK O, You would have arranged this text in paragraphs for easy reading and quoted your source to avoid plagiarism. Since the source agrees that there is a NT prophet my question is this: Are New Testament Prophet ever used in guidance and control of another person‟s life like the OT or are they used to confirm the already known and revealed will of God?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Female Aspiration For Presidency, Governorship A Taboo — Satguru Maharaj Ji / Photos From The Burial Of Father Paul Offu / Bishop Kola Onaolapo Is Dead

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 112
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.